Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ Yami turned Seru ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yami didn't know how far he'd ran from his house, but he knew it must've been a long time since the sky was now darkening. He stopped at last and panted against a tree, willing the pain in his chest to go away as well as the large stitch in his side. In his exhaustion, both mentally and physically, he slumped on the ground and curled up, meaning to only rest his eyes for a short while.

The next thing Yami knew he was being shaken awake rather roughly. He opened his eyes groggily and the first thing that came into focus was a police badge. Startled, he looked up into the man's face.

"Are you alright there, son?" The officer asked.

Yami sat up tiredly and rubbed his eyes. Looking around his surroundings he realized he had absolutely no idea where he was. Taking a deep breath he looked back at the tall man standing in front him and nodded. "Yes, I'm okay." He stood and brushed himself off.

"It's rather late; your parents are probably worried about you."

Yami resisted the urge to roll his eyes, `Yeah, right, I'll bet they're just terrified out of their minds.' "Yes, probably, sir. I should head home then."

"I'll give you a ride," he motioned to the police car parked a few feet away.

The red-eyed teen gulped and shook his head. "No, that's alright, sir. It isn't that far away," he lied. He actually had no idea how to get back home even if he wanted to.

"I insist. Many loonies are out during this time of night. I'd feel much knowing you got home safely than just leaving you here."

"Really, I'll be okay." And before the officer could get another word in, Yami was walking quickly away from him in the same direction he'd been running in. He was relieved when the officer or any of the loonies he'd been told about didn't follow him. He was sure that in his current state he wouldn't be able to put up much of a fight.

Yami must've walked another couple of miles from where the cop had found him and, as he looked around, he realized he was in the middle of nowhere. He had no idea what time it was either and wished that cop hadn't found him. He was extremely tired now and there wasn't anywhere remotely comfortable among rocks and dirt where he could get any kind of sleep.

He looked up tiredly and saw something resembling a sign. He ran over to it and collapsed on his knees. Yami couldn't believe it. The sign read: Welcome to Sacrime City. He'd been here only once before and knew it was quite a ways from home, about an hour and a half's drive, but he couldn't remember how far it was.

Yami trudged by the sign tiredly, needing to get some sleep and something to eat before he passed out.

~~

Weeks had passed and no sign of Yami had come up; Yugi was really worried about his twin brother. He let out another yawn, the millionth it seemed of the day. It's not like he could help it though. He'd spent endless nights laying either awake in his bed worried sick over Yami or comforting his mother with his father on the couch.

"Yugi Motou!"

Said teen jumped almost out of his seat when the teacher called his name. "Yes, ma'am?"

"Pay attention or I'll send you to the principal's office."

Yugi nodded, "Yes, ma'am."

"Now, as I was saying," she eyed Yugi sharply, "I've been given permission to take a fieldtrip to the next town over to visit the museum." Everyone let out a large groan, but fell silent as soon as the teacher glared at them. "You'll be allowed to bring money for lunch after the tour as well and hang out at the park that's nearby before we come back to the school."

The bell rang soon after she finished and the class left the room, talking excitedly about the trip for tomorrow. Yugi yawned again, glad to finally be going home. He wasn't looking forward to this trip at all. All he wanted to do was find his brother so they could be a family again, even if he wouldn't be allowed to live with them. Of course, that didn't stop him from sleeping over there every night so he could be with them.

He turned the corner that would take him to the game shop so he could drop off his stop. Yugi called out to his grandpa before heading outside again. Solomon was used to it though; it was his grandpa's usual routine for the fast few weeks. He would go to school, come to the game shop to drop off his stuff, then go to his parents' house to spend the night there, then pick up his stuff early the next morning and walk to school again. He was very worried for his grandson ever since his brother left home.

Yugi stepped into the house and called out to his parents. His mother greeted him at the door to the kitchen.

"Hey, mom," he kissed her on the cheek.

"Hello, sweetie," she kissed him back, "how did your day go?"

"Fine," Yugi sighed. He slumped down on the couch and stared at nothing for a minute before looking back at his mother. "I have a field trip tomorrow, to the next city over to see the museum."

"That's a lovely museum," she joined him on the couch. "I believe your father and I took Yami there once when he was very young."

"Was it boring?"

"Yugi," she teased. "No, I think your brother enjoyed it very much."

The teen yawned again and rested his head on his mother's shoulder.

"You should go take a nap; we had a long night."

"Yeah," Yugi stood and nodded to his mother.

"I'll wake you for dinner."

~~

"Seru, you can get off now if you like!"

Yami looked up from washing dishes, "Okay!" He put the rest of the dishes away and removed his apron, putting in the closet with the others. The nametag flashed in the light and he sighed when he saw `Seru' printed on the gold tag.

He was working in a somewhat popular restaurant so he could pay for the lightly rundown old apartment about a mile down the street. Yami didn't think putting his real name on the application. He was clutching at the picture that Seru had given him at the time and he couldn't think of any other name at the time so that's what he had put down.

There were times when Yami missed home, especially Yugi, but he knew he couldn't go back or he'd just cause more problems. Yami was sure that with him out of the picture Yugi would be able to be with their parents. The judge couldn't say no if there wasn't anyone in the way to stop it, could he?

A hand tapped his shoulder and he looked over to see Hikaru, a spunky girl he worked with. He smiled at her and turned back to putting the rest of his stuff away.

"I have a question for you," Hikaru said bluntly when he turned around.

Yami sighed and shook his head. "Would there be any way to stop you if I said no."

"Not really," she laughed. "Why don't you ever laugh or smile, Seru?"

"Wha - " Yami stuttered, "Of course I do."

"No you don't. You're always moping around, working like a complete robot with this zoned out look on your face. You hardly talk to anyone and I think I'm the only one you've had something related to a conversation with. Care to share what's on your mind?"

Yami sighed and headed over to the door.

"Seru!"

Yami whispered something, a dull look coming over his eyes.

"What? Could you say that again?"

Yami looked back at her and Hikaru almost gasped at the heart wrenching expression and look in his eyes. "Wouldn't it be great if you could live alone?"

"Wha - "

"If you lived alone you wouldn't hurt anybody… " He paused and looked at his reflection in a window. "Nor would you get hurt."

"Seru," Hikaru whispered sadly, for once without a bubbly expression on her face.

"I've got to go."

~~

Yugi sighed as he rode the bus with the rest of his class, who were jumping around in chaos and talking too loudly for his liking. A sign passed by and he read it with a tired expression: Sacrime City.

The bus stopped a few minutes later in front of the museum.

The tour was long and dull and Yugi was suspecting that his mother only said Yami had fun so he would go and get out more often than he has been.

After the museum the teacher gave them a time to get back to the bus and let them loose. Yugi decided he was hungry and stepped into the first diner that he saw. He sat down at a booth and waited for someone to come.

"Seru, customer at one of your tables," a cheerful voice called to someone in the back.

Yugi gasped and looked up. It couldn't be… amethyst eyes widened and his mouth gaped open. The waiter also gaped and backed up slowly, shaking his head.

"Y-Yami…"