Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Monsters ❯ A Hospital Visit ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Still don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!


Seto Kaiba walked the halls of the hospital, the heels of his boots making sharp, clicking sounds they hit the tiles. No one paid any real attention to him as he walked, his eyes shadowed by his own dark thoughts.

When he was a child, he had read many, many fantasy stories. There, monsters were so easy to spot. They looked like what they were. They didn't look like normal people.

If only the real world were like that. If only monsters weren't able to hide behind the veneer of respectability. Those were the monsters that nobody saw. That nobody stopped. Not until it was too late. Not until they warped their victims.

He had seen the signs. The bruises, the cuts, the black eyes. He had offered his help.... But some people just had to deal with their monsters on their own. And now two people were dead because of it. Well.... a person and a monster.

He had asked to tell Janice what had happened.

Janice was a classmate of his. Didn't play Duel Monsters, or Dungeon Dice Monsters, or any of the thousands of other games that were so popular with his other classmates. She didn't talk to anyone. Especially not him. The only reason he knew her name was because her father was chief financial officer.

Her father, who had put her in the hospital.

Her father, who had finally pushed his wife too far.

Her father, who's brains now rested atop many a financial form.

Seto had been the one who found the bodies. He had insisted to the police that he be the one to tell her.

The nurse on duty looked up at him, then nodded before returning to her own work. They'd seen each other several times before, when Seto came by to drop off Janice's homework. He'd volunteered to get it from the teachers after he'd learned she was in the hospital. The look on the faces of Yugi and his cronies had been absolutely priceless. It was, supposedly, a fall down the stairs. But falls down stairs didn't do the kind of damage she had. Not unless stairs had fists.

He knocked twice on the door, and Janice attempted to sit up. "Hello, Mr. Kaiba." she croaked out, getting the words past her bruised wind pipe with a bit of difficulty and a lot of pain. "Bit late to be dropping off school stuff." She tried to keep her tone light.

Janice had never been pretty. The bruises didn't help her any.

Seto swallowed a bit and sat down. "Janice.... your father....." He hesitated. How did one break that kind of news? "Your mother came into the office earlier today and shot him, then herself. I'm sorry."

Janice looked at him, her eyes totally blank.

"We are prepared to offer you anything you need in your time of grief..." God, he sounded so stupid.

"Thank you, Mr. Kaiba. Could.... could you leave, please? I need a little time."

"Of course." Seto pulled a card out of his pocket and laid it on the table beside her. "If you need anything, at any time, just call this number, alright?"

Janice nodded weakly, her badly swollen eyes totally closed.

"Janice? I know it hurts.... but he wont be able to hurt you anymore."

She opened her eyes as much as she could to look at him, then closed them again. She didn't need to say anything. He knew.