Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ My Project: Jounouchi Katsuya ❯ Part 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My Project: Jounouchi Katsuya

 

Sam: Guess what people? IT'S THE LAST CHAPTER!

 

Readers: *gasps*

 

Sam: Hehehehehe… I've shocked them into disbelief

 

Disclaimer: Madyamisam doesn't own Yugioh or of any likes. She also doesn't own: `Accidentally in Love' by Counting Crows that was featured in Shrek 2 (and in my personal opinion fits in a lot better with this story)

 

------

 

Seto growled in frustration when he found that the café had been closed for the day in preparation for the Duel Monsters Banquet fest preparation the next day. He could just as easily sneak but since that afternoon talk with Joey he sighed wondering if it was the wisest choice. Ignoring his gut instincts to press on like he usually did in the business world, Seto decided to leave the blonde alone while watching him from a distance. He only had one more day of filming before he handed his edited video and written report to the teacher, which he conveniently used to watch of Joey just in case anything happened. Upon reaching home and the gazing at the monitor he found the kitchen, dinning and sitting area coveted with trays of food. These were just the simple hors d'oeuvres and desserts. The main courses though were supposed to be cooked at the restaurant where he was supposed to be partnered with a group of highly trained staff. Joey though was now concentrating on the large birthday cake order and delicately putting the finishing touches to the beautifully sculpted chocolate Blue Eyes White Dragon, which stood proudly, wings unfurled next to a Red Eyes Black Dragon. Both were an incredible piece of art with every scale and shade matched to their holographic forms. Seto noticed for the first time on how the two beasts seemed symbolise Joey and himself. They were complete opposites and yet in a way they had so much in common with each other. Joey had finished painting the blue gem of the dragon's eye before sitting back contemplating their positions on empty space on the cake. It so happened that their tails were made in a way that they could intertwine like two hands holding each other but Joey simply put them side by side, their tails merely millimetres from touching. Somehow, Seto felt his stomach twist uncomfortably. He had expected and probably hoped that the tails be fitted together in that intimate way of friendship. He leaned back solemnly against the computer watching silently before browsing through the old videos of the week's filming.

 

"Two eggs… fold. Fold?" he heard himself say before bemusedly placing the unbroken eggs into the flour.

 

"WAIT!" Joey yelped diving to save the near fatal mistake. Breaking the eggs for him. "Now you can fold them" Seto stared on vaguely amused staring at the interaction and how natural he remembered it seemed to be. He knew there wasn't any incriminating evidence linking Joey with the restaurant in that clip so without viewing any further he took out the clip and transferred it to his final edited version. He browsed a bit more when Joey took his sister to the beach and he had, though uninvited, came along with them his hidden camera hidden in the briefcase that he always carried.

 

"It takes a pretty decent person to show kindness to others no matter how heartless they seem. It takes a very special person to say that no one could ever be truly heartless and they'd strive to find true good in others. I'm glad to say I've met two people like that. One was grandma... the other one was you" he heard Joey say as he remembered the trip to the cemetery. His felt a twinge in his stomach as he remembered the mixture of feelings behind those words. He turned back to the present as Joey still sat now working on the figurine of Dark Magician Girl and her cute pink and blue hat. It had pretty much that either of them had done for the rest of that day.

 

-------

 

It had been a restless night when Seto woke on that Friday and came into his Psychology class ten minutes late and looking far from his immaculate self. The other students stared at him as if he had grown two heads when he came into the classroom, hair a mess, shirt not tucked in and to their shock he didn't seem to care that it wasn't. He handed both parts of his project both video and written report. "Sorry I'm late" he muttered. There was a collective gasp from the entire room of the class staring at him bog eyed as he sat down. Even the teacher was standing holding his project blinking in astonishment. Seto glared at them evidently snapping the group out of their stupor.

 

"T-that's quite… alright… Mr Kaiba…" the teacher replied as she neatly stacked his paper on top of the others. "I think" she added as an afterthought before she continued with her class. "I was informed by the principal just yesterday that some of the projects done by you would be subject to review at the class assembly next Monday as a sample for open evenings for new students in the Psychology course. Of course I would definitely pick the best written report to help make my choice on this matter…" Seto tuned out though as he thought about lunchtime where he could confront Joey again after now allowing a day for him to cool down. Seto sat back watching idly as the teacher started her lecture on Social Psychology and interpersonal relationships however he was too busy trying to think of what to say to the blonde without having him blow up in the CEO's face. Lunch finally came with him staring at Joey stuffing his face as the façade of a street bum with no table manners. His friends were staring at him slightly disturbed at the rate of his intake and it was clear that the row that he and Seto had the day before was still stuck in their minds as well. Even Tristan looked a little concerned because he had found himself being out competed in the usual gorging contest between him and Joey. His friends though tried to shrug it off as they had been excited with the plan they had been working on all week.

 

"Joey?" Yugi asked getting an encouraging wink from Téa. Joey stopped midway of tearing a chicken drumstick to shreds to look at Yugi with his brown eyes. Seto smiled as the resemblance of a puppy dog sprung to mind once more. "We were wondering… you haven't been hanging out with us for months…."Joey swallowed anxiously knowing what was coming next.

 

"Yugi… I-"Yugi punched the table with a massive slap that echoed across the hallway.

 

"NO BUTS, NO CAN'TS, NO NOTHING YOU GOT THAT WHEELER!? YOU ARE HANGING OUT WITH US WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!" he screamed much to the shock to the blonde and pretty much everyone else around. Téa and Tristan smiled crossing their arms proudly at the midget's magnificent forceful performance whilst Joey was in a stunned daze. "Ow…" Yugi whimpered afterwards rubbing the knuckles in his hands and making the rest of them groan. Joey blinked a few times before coming out of his stupor. Yugi smiled sheepishly. "So erm… will you?" There was a brief pause…

 

"Erm… let me get back to ya after I go to da john huh Yug? I tink I just pissed maself… "Yugi brightened.

 

"Really? Was I `that' scary?" Joey fixed a smile and nodded before dashing out of the cafeteria. Seto seeing this opportunity headed swiftly after him. The second he opened the door he heard the sound of retching from one of the hidden cubicles of the toilets. Seto's lips were dry and he silently cringed from the unerring knot in his stomach. Seto looked away until the blonde was done emptying the contents of his stomach which probably came about from the sickness. After the vomiting spell Joey sat back against the cool wall and flushed the toilet. Seto narrowed his eyes as he felt the clammy forehead. It was a little warm and his suspicions were confirmed of the impending fever.

 

"You stupid mutt you shouldn't be in school" he growled. Joey stared at the time on his cheap rundown watch.

 

"15 minutes till the next class…" Joey said. "Do you mind if I have a bit of privacy? I honestly need to take a leak now…"

 

"You're not going to the next class, you're going home. I'm calling the nurse as soon as you come out" Seto said as he closed the door. It had been a few minutes as he waited for the blonde to do his business impatiently staring at the time on his own watch. "Are you done yet?" he asked. There wasn't an answer and worry started to fill his heart. Prepared to ignore the blonde's protest if he was mistaken he opened the door again. He stared down to see that Joey didn't leave his place, he had fallen asleep. Seto blinked before slipping off his jacket and covering the blonde with it and for the second time he watched over as Joey slept. It was a brief moment though as within a minute the blonde had stirred from his rest feeling slightly more refreshed. Joey smiled appreciatively and sat a little longer for the bell to ring.

 

"About your grandmother…" Seto replied out of the blue. Joey was a little confused. "I reviewed the tapes over the week and remembered the time you took Serenity to the cemetery to visit your grandmother's grave" Seto explained before he proceeded with his question. "Was she your caregiver back then?"

 

"I guess… I can't remember much because I was still rather young when she died but at the time when my parents were still together they'd just dump me at her house and then pick me up after work" Joey smiled as he continued. "She was the one that taught Serenity and I how to cook though. It would be just the three of us. Of course… when we all found out about Serenity's eyesight my parents decided to be more responsible and tried to pay for eye therapies and operation. It didn't matter to me at the time really, they'd leave me with my grandmother whilst Serenity went to her eye therapy classes and we'd spent our time baking, reading a book, watching TV whatever" Joey swallowed as he pulled the jacket closer to him. He smiled as he continued on with the story. "I remember one day I was at her house as usual whilst my parents and Serenity were at the hospital checking out her eyesight. I baked my first batch of gingerbread like the ones you had the night before. I knew they were her favourite and she ate every last one, then she took a nap whilst I read a book to her. After the first few hours I started getting lonely…"Joey blinked a few times remembering the events that happened. "It was the first time that I'd felt lonely." Seto watched sadly as the blonde shivered from a phantom chill. The bell rang at that moment and Joey immediately got up handing Seto his jacket and bolted towards his next class disregarding the CEO's calls to go to the nurse.

 

------

 

"Joey? JOEY!" Yugi yelled sprinting towards the blonde. Joey cringed mentally as he remembered he hadn't given his answer and he winced furthermore of having to turn down his friend once more. `Last time Wheeler' he thought to himself before turning to his friend.

 

"Yugi… I know it doesn't seem like it but I do appreciate ya friendship and everyting… even though I keep putting ya off like I've been doin' lately" he said guiltily. Yugi smiled understandingly.

 

"Well then you can make it up to us by hanging out with us now" Téa interrupted whilst the rest of them nodded in agreement and ganged up on him. Joey scanned the group and immediately found the escape route between them.

 

"I, am really, really sorry," Joey began. They all blinked in disbelief. "But I can't…"

 

"Joey" Yugi whined.

 

"Joey Wheeler do you even consider us friends?" Téa demanded

 

"Of course I do but I-"

 

"Then how come you keep putting us off with your excuses. What have you been doing lately that's so important that you're willing to push friends aside for it?"

 

"I promise you guys… this is the last time…" Joey said as he slipped passed their ranks and ran. "I'm really sorry"

 

"Joey! Joey wait!!!!" they called after him. His friends shrugged in disbelief.

 

"All that planning and he won't be coming?" Ryou asked in dismay.

 

"No way man… We're gonna get to the bottom of this and drag him to that party if we have to" Tristan said running ahead.

 

"Tristan, do you know where Joey works?" Yugi asked wondering for the first time what the blonde did. Tristan paused to think (for once).

 

"Come to think of it he never said what he did for work" he mused much to the consternation of his friends. "Look, me and Yugi will go check out his apartment whilst Téa and Ryou make sure the preparations are all set and that cake from that café arrives ok?" They nodded in agreement and Tristan headed towards his motorcycle and passing a spare helmet for Yugi. Upon arrival at the dinky apartment, Tristan swallowed remembering their last visit to the blonde's apartment and meeting face to face with an unidentified flying bottle that had crashed their way. Yugi trembled a little also reminiscing before he knocked on the door. There was a shuffle of movement behind the locked door before they heard the latch click and open.

 

"Serenity?" Tristan exclaimed in disbelief. The bemused red head immediately brightened to a sweet smile.

 

"Tristan, Yugi!" she squealed hugging them both.

 

"Serenity? Who's at the door?" Annie came to the door before smiling warmly. "Oh Tristan… you're that sweet boy that stayed to look after Serenity when she was in the hospital"

 

"Oh hey… Mrs…" Tristan said before noticing Asato coming after her. "Wheeler?"

 

"Actually," Annie giggled. "It'll be Mrs Kinajima soon…" Asato smiled as she hugged his fiancée.

 

"Oh it's so great to see you… but… how did you know I live here?"

 

"We don't… I thought this was Joey's apartment" Yugi whispered. Serenity frowned.

 

"Joey doesn't live here anymore. He moved to another apartment six months ago but he kept this one so Serenity and Annie could stay for a while until she gets a new job" Asato explained

 

"Your unemployed Mrs Wheeler… I mean?" Annie chuckled.

 

"It's ok… unfortunately yes I am…" she replied awkwardly.

 

"So that's why Joey's been working so hard so lately." Yugi stated. Serenity was instantly worried as the fact that her brother's friends were ignorant to his situation had just dawned on her.

 

"Oh?" Annie asked raising an incredulous eyebrow.

 

"Didn't… didn't big brother tell you guys?"

 

"No... That idiotic dumb ass…" Tristan growled. "I can't believe it. He's been having trouble all along and he didn't tell us about it. We would have helped him… I mean I had some spare cash if he ever needed it"

 

"Whatever do you boys mean?" Annie asked.

 

"What do you guys want to see him for?" Serenity asked dreading the answer.

 

"Well you know it's his birthday today… come to think of it he didn't rant or give any hints to us about it like he usually does, so we set him up for a surprise birthday party at the Duel Monster Banquet Fest at that classy Rio Restaurant" Serenity gasped in horror at the realisation however the two boys who were engrossed about describing their plans were oblivious.

 

"We even ordered this massive cake from the guys that were catering for it"

 

"Is it a big three layer chocolate cake with sprinkles and Duel Monster icing sugar sculptures on it?" Everyone stared at her in disbelief.

 

"Yeah… how did you know?" Tristan asked. Serenity ran past him.

 

"Serenity!" Annie called after her.

 

"Mama… get the car…"

 

"But…"

 

I'll explain on the way… But first I need to get big brother…" she stated.

 

----------

 

Seto marched towards the restaurant passed the steel doors of the new classy kitchen to find that Joey along with the chefs he was slaving away at the stoves.

 

"One Château Brion, medium, one pheasant, one venison, over easy and one fish pie. Have you got that?"

 

"YES CHEF!" everyone shouted as Joey wiped the sweat from his brow and went back to garnishing his Crab Napoleon before sending off to the hungry customers. He didn't notice the group of people standing there gaping. "How long for the quail's eggs?" Receiving no answer and patience wearing thin he grabbed a ladle and started banging it on the steel table. BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG! HOW LONG FOR THE QUAILS' EGGS PLEASE?"

 

"Two minutes chef!" Joey sighed as he relayed the message to the waiter who had made the enquiry. Martha and Denny sensed the frustration and stress and actively took over whilst Joey tried to get a moment to himself stirring something in a huge kitchen pot. Having that brief moment of peace allowed the thoughts of the huge situation he had undertaken settle in. He was seventeen years old, still in high school, trying to run a full time job as head chef for one of the classiest five star restaurants in the precinct of Domino so that he could pay for two apartment rentals, food for a family of four and a huge and expensive medical bill. A tear had slipped and dropped into the large vat of soup and Joey forced himself to wipe away anymore. He turned to stare into cobalt blue eyes and chocolate brown hair that was obviously too close to him for comfort.

 

"What do you want now Kaiba?" Joey asked dully attempting to hide the exhaustion. Before he knew it he was swept from his feet and slung over the brunettes shoulder. "HEY WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? PUT ME DOWN!" he screamed. The blonde's legs flailed comically as the brunette carried him out of the kitchen. The chefs working there had all temporarily stopped working to stare bog eyed at the strange situation. "CALL THE POLICE! SOMEBODY HELP! KIDNAP! RAPE!" he shrieked the last word a pitch higher.

 

"JOEY SHUT YOUR TRAP OR I WILL CUT YOU OFF!"

 

"OH YOU FU-" his voice was cut off as the steel doors slammed shut leaving the kitchen staff in baffled silence with the exceptions of sizzling hot pans and the humming of the large extractors. They turned to glance at each other to seek answers from their colleagues, finding none they simply went back to work like nothing had happened. Seto headed towards one of the staff lounges and unceremoniously dumped the ranting blonde on one of the cheap textured sofas before imposing his threatening glare down at the blonde. "Ok… what the hell's your problem?" Joey growled finally subdued from a hoarse voice and fever.

 

"You" Joey scoffed and went to get up to go back into the kitchen before he was shoved back down.

 

"Look, we'll banter later Seto I've got work to do"

 

"Deal's off"

 

"What?"

 

"I said the deals off… you're gonna tell your friends about you and Nénharma right now or sooner"

 

"No…"

 

"Why not? Look at yourself! You're already half dead from exhaustion" Joey shook visibly and he placed his hands in his face.

 

"I don't want to show any more weakness in front of them… no more screw ups… no more mistakes… and I have to that on my own…"

 

"That's right… that's what your boot camp leader said…" Seto said. Joey looked up. "Things got so bad with you the law had to get involved; they sent you to a boot camp, didn't they? Things didn't go down well but it was one little meeting that made you turn around." Seto knelt down beside him and stared at him. "They promised that they'd help you file an appeal to revoke your mother's court restraint and allow you to talk to your sister if you prove yourself to them by doing as your told" Joey swallowed staring at the sapphire eyes. "The problem is you didn't realise that you've already proven yourself to them that you could change… This isn't boot camp anymore Joey…" There was silence from the blonde before he let out a sigh.

 

"Nice speech… you could give Téa a run for her money" Seto bit his cheek with fury that he was being compared to that dorky friendship girl. "But… I don't know if I can… I mean what will they say about me lying to them all this time and pushing them away?"

 

"Well if it makes it any better I've handed in my tape… I've edited out most of the bits involving your arguments with your father and Asato… but apart from that it's… uncut" Joey's head snapped up towards him in shock. "Look… I'm placing certain permanent scarring of my entire image and reputation here Wheeler… do you think you can meet the challenge of risking a little yelling from your friends?" Joey blinked

 

"You… really did that?" he whispered. There wasn't an answer and he knew that Seto didn't joke. Staring intently he nodded. "Ok… but first I really, really need to get one last thing done about this bunch of people who've got me working my ass off on this party" Seto sighed as he followed the blonde.

 

---------

 

"What, you say that Joey works at Nénharma?" Yugi exclaimed in alarm.

 

"No guys, he `owns' Nénharma" Serenity said before she placed her hand on her head. "Oh how can I be so stupid not to notice this? I mean, I've been wondering why you guys didn't drop in to say hello very much but he said… big brother said he told you about it when you were hanging out at the arcade together"

 

"THAT IDIOTIC, DUMBASS PUNK!" Tristan yelled as they ran towards the restaurant. "He hasn't been hanging out with us for months"

 

-----------

 

They burst in through the doors just as Joey was heading towards the party room. "YOU!" Tristan yelled storming over to him. Joey was surprised to see his friends appear out of nowhere but made nothing of it. "You st-"

 

"Guys…" Joey said interrupting him. "I have something I really need to tell you"

 

"B-"

 

"But I really need to do something first. Just wait here and I'll explain everything ok?"

 

"Um…" Tristan was speechless and his pent up rage that he was intent on exerting on the blonde withered away and the blonde hurried towards the party room. "HEY Joey WAIT!" he panicked hurrying after him. Joey threw open the doors to the party to check the preparations of the cake and party food that the group had ordered. The party guests looked a little shocked that he had arrived earlier than they had planned. Tristan covered his eyes as Joey stared wide eyed as a huge banner hung `HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY' above them. Ryou and Téa stood gawking at him before they snapped out of their reverie.

 

"Um, um…" Ryou stammered. "Surprise!" he said waving his arms in the air pathetically at the large table of food that Joey had prepared.

 

"Happy Birthday land lover!" Mako said more strongly. Joey stood staring in astonishment at the crowd of party guests who all added their scattered congratulations.

 

"Uh…" he heard Tristan's quavering voice from behind him. He turned to look him in the eyes for further confirmation. Yugi and Tristan looked a little panic stricken as the blonde turned back slowly towards the crowd of guests.

 

"Um was there something wrong?" Malik asked who had flown all the way from his home from Egypt to celebrate his former mind slave turned friend's birthday. He shuffled his feet uneasily whilst the lavender party hat slid to one side of his platinum head. Overwhelmed with shock, relief, frustration, dread and a raging fever, Joey did the most sensible thing he did that day. He fainted. The group of party goers stared silently at the eagle splayed blonde on the floor.

 

"Gee… I… didn't plan on `that' kind of reaction" Mako announced "Did you?"

 

"Nope… I did not plan for that either nope, nope, nope" Malik shook his head.

 

------------------

 

The world started dark then blurred. He felt cold sweaty and shivered despite the thick blanket covering him. Slowly his blurred vision began to clear and the muffled sound of voices also started.

 

"Oh come on how could, you of all people, not know he was in a job like this!?" he squinted as the tan coat worn by Tristan seemed to be flapping about wildly as he tried to catch on the conversation he had obviously missed.

 

"Big brother?" Serenity appeared before him worriedly. He blinked a few times as he looked around his surroundings. He was in bed at his apartment whilst Annie who had been staring guiltily at the floor suddenly look anxiously at the blonde.

 

"Hey!" Téa cooed kneeling by his side with a bright smile on her face. "How are you feeling Joey?"

 

"You had us really worried Joey" Yugi bounced. "You nearly made me swear"

 

"You did swear in a way Yugi" Ryou commented.

 

"I said Shazbot! That doesn't count as a word in the real world!" Yugi cried in his attempt to defend his innocence waving his arms about. "I mean… what would you expect in that situation. I mean he literally catered for his own birthday party for crying out loud!" Joey sighed guiltily as his friends had found out his secret before he had the chance to explain.

 

"Everyone was worried sick when you fainted you know Joey?" Téa said ignoring Yugi's ranting on about the word `Shazbot'.

 

"So… you guys… aren't mad?" Joey asked.

 

"MAD? OF COURSE WE'RE MAD!" Tristan yelled at him. "YOU GOING AROUND PULLING A CRAZY STUNT LIKE SETTING UP A CAFÉ AND NOT TELLING US ABOUT IT? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? GOD I HAVE TO… NNRGAAAHHH!" Tristan took a deep breath whilst his strained claw like fingers hovered over Joey's neck. "I'll strangle and yell at you later when you're better ok?"

 

"He'll probably forget about it all in the next five minutes" Téa chuckled. "The point is that you're ok now. The secrets out and since the café's up, we might as well support it all the way right guys?"

 

"Yeah! I mean the food you cooked was amazing!" Yugi cried. "I mean I still wondered how you managed to pull a meal off back at Duellist Kingdom with those candy bars but wow!"

 

"Anyway, I quit Burger World last week and was planning on looking for another part time job so… Joey… would you mind having an extra pair of hands for waiting the tables?" Téa asked shyly. Joey grinned and nodded enthusiastically or at least enough not to make his head start to throb from pain again.

 

"Yeah and I could pop by to help out when Grandpa's not too busy with the store. He said it'll be ok as long as I bring back some Nénharma chocolate éclairs"

 

"You do home deliveries as well right?" Tristan asked. Joey nodded. "I could go around the places on my bike in a snap so I'll take the delivery… then I can pig out on some of them before I hand them to the customers"

 

"Oh no you won't" Téa shouted tweaking hard on an ear. Joey chuckled and coughed at the spectacle of the two brunettes.

 

"Oh we're sorry that your birthday got ruined Joey" Ryou said kneeling by his side. Joey smiled.

 

"No you didn't… it's the best birthday I've had in a long while…illness notwithstanding" he replied. Everyone chuckled and relaxed from the stressful day. Joey wasn't really use to the kind of attention from his friends or his sister and felt uncomfortable. Annie had been silent all the while as she contemplated all the information that she had recently found out. She didn't dare look at him for most of the day and spent most of her time lounging in the sitting room or kitchen.

 

"You have to talk to him some time…"

 

"I don't know… if I can… I mean, I…"

 

"He's very forgiving. I can give you that much from how much I know about him already Annie" Asato urged as he nudged her towards the blond lying on the bed" She swallowed as she approached him.

 

"I…" she tried but the words were stuck in her throat. "I'm sorry… Joseph…" Joey looked surprise from the statement. He was more expecting a condescending rant from her as usual. The word `sorry' seemed so alien on her lips. "I'm sorry for a lot of things… namely for not taking the responsibility as a parent… or even as a person. I don't know if you'll accept this but… would you allow me to try to put things right between us?" she asked expecting the blonde to laugh and to mock her weakness like her husband use to do, however he surprised her once more that day.

 

"Whatever mom…" Joey shrugged and stared at her. She knelt by his side and did something she never done before. She stroked his hair finding it quite silky and spent the night by his bed. It felt strangely natural. Joey was relieved that his friends didn't hate him, he still had his sister and he had a possible reconciliation with his mother. He felt he was being selfish though because he wasn't content because the one person he wanted to see the most that night wasn't there.

 

-----Two days later----

 

Seto POV

 

Well presentation today. I'm supposed to show the tape to the rest of the world. Heh… I can't believe I'm actually going to go through with this. I mean all that stuff on that tape, it'll probably ruin me and my flawless image but… ok I guess I'm a little nervous. "Can we turn on the radio?" the kid asks. Gah, sometimes I don't know why he bothers asking me. He knows he's allowed. It's his limo as well as mine.

 

"Whatever" my usual reply as I go back to brooding in revealing my darkest secret in the world. Damn him, that stupid blonde… third rate… hairy… wait no he's not hairy… Gah I can't even insult him properly anymore. Why did I do that anyway? Exposing my flaws for the likes of him? What the hell is my problem? Why oh why oh why oh why oh why? I'm thinking of banging my head on the window but I have to keep what dignity I have left reserved for that presentation. I turn to look over at the squirt beside me who's bobbing to some trashy guitar intro. It's kinda cute. Sigh, ok I'll bite what is he listening to?

 

~So she said "What's the problem baby?"~

 

Humph… you tell me.

 

~What's the problem I don't know, Well maybe I'm in love~

 

"Love?" I exclaimed in disbelief from the song's answer.

 

"Big brother?"

 

~Think about it every time, I think about it, Can't stop thinking 'bout it~

 

SHIT!

 

Normal POV

 

"STOP THE CAR!" screamed a CEO amongst the banter of heavy traffic. The limo screeched to a halt resulting in a lot of car horns blaring as Seto tore out of the door of his limo.

 

~How much longer will it take to cure this? Just to cure it cause I can't ignore it if its love (love) Makes me wanna turn around and face me but I don't know nothing 'bout love~

 

"Seto what's going on?" Mokuba asked fearfully looking around for some kind of attack and avoiding being abducted like he usually did.

 

"Um… um… uh… I forgot my briefcase it's got all my presentation notes in them" Seto stuttered. "You just go ahead Mokie I'll see you after school. Ok? Bye!" He ran leaving the eleven year old more baffled than ever. Mokuba blankly shut the limo door as the limo driver carried on the journey to school. He frowned after ten seconds of the situation finally settling into his little raven head.

 

"Wait a minute Seto never forgets his briefcase…" Mokuba frowned and looked back as the trench coat flew like the wind as his brother dashed down the street. The so called `forgotten' briefcase bounced loosely against his thigh as he ran. "Especially when he's holding it"

 

~Come on, come on. Turn a little faster. Come on, come on. The world will follow after. Come on, come on. Cause everybody's after love~

 

`You're presentation! YOUR PRESENTATION!' screamed his business conscience and the failing grade he was probably going to receive for not attending.

 

"SCREW IT!" he screamed back much to the shock of bystanders watching as he raced passed them. Taking a short cut through the park and scaring a flock of pigeons innocently pecking at breadcrumbs on the floor. He leapt over the large open manhole much to the bemusement of the worker who wondered why no one told him about an eclipse that day. He looked to see the trench coat flying like a flag before the CEO turned a corner.

 

------------------

 

~So I said I'm a snowball running. Running down into the spring that's coming. All this love melting under blue skies. Belting out sunlight. Shimmering love~

 

"Joey, don't get up… What is it?" Annie asked. Joey sighed as he was made to lie back down on the bed.

 

"The post mom…"

 

"Is that all I'll get it" Annie chuckled. She came back browsing through the piles dumping on the table rather than passing them over to her son. "Bills, bills, bills, bills…"

 

"Mom…"

 

"Relax big brother. Asato will gladly pay for them" Serenity said as she started braiding another strand of his fairly long hair.

 

"At least let me look at the rent bill" Joey whined and Annie reluctantly passed it over. It seemed strange how a single weekend spent together made a whole difference between them. It looked to anyone who didn't know them as if they had never had a fight in their life and the concept never even crossed their minds. Joey leaned against the bed as he readied out the calculator but blinked. "Hang on… everything's been paid" he said staring at the back in case there was something missing.

 

"Could it be Asato?" Annie asked before looking further in the pile and noticed one that was not stamped but merely said `To Joey'. "Um… sweetie?" she passed him the envelope and he opened the letter. Inside were a birthday card and two letters. Joey's eyes widened as he read the contents of the first letter.

 

~Well baby I surrender. To the strawberry ice cream. Never ever end of all this love. Well I didn't mean to do it. But there's no escaping your love~

 

//Dear Joseph, just got someone desperate enough to give your old man a job. Apparently, they're facing closure unless they got somebody with some experience on the market. I got them to pay the money for the rent and now I've got a business trip that lasts for two weeks to see if we can stall for time and turn this company around. I thought I should give you the AA letter because knowing me I'll probably forget and even lose my next meeting. I don't expect you to gain your respect just like that or even for you to forgive me but I just wanted to take a little responsibility of your shoulders, if only just a little. Malcolm//

 

"Well I'll be damned" Joey whispered as he stared at the schedule letter for Alcoholics Anonymous as well. He smiled as he pinned both letters on his notice board above his desk and sat back down absorbing the pride that his father was finally getting himself out of the rut. Annie had read the letter and smiled.

 

"How bout I make you some chicken soup. Your grandmother said I'd make a fair cook if I actually decide to have a go" Annie said.

 

"Oh, oh, oh! I'll help. I'll help!" Serenity squealed as she followed her mom and left Joey's half done dreadlocks. Asato had come in afterwards and sat on the chair next to Joey's bed.

 

~These lines of lightning. Mean we're never alone. Never alone, no, no. Come on, Come on. Move a little closer. Come on, Come on. I want to hear you whisper. Come on, Come on. Settle down inside my love~

 

"Um… I have a very big favour to ask of you" Joey blinked whilst Asato looked over his shoulder to check that his fiancée was behind him. "Would you do me the honour of being my best man in the wedding?" he asked leaning forward and placing his hands together like a prayer. Joey inwardly smirked as Asato seemed to pull the puppy dog face really well. He frowned in pretend reluctance. "I mean you're the obvious choice because Kuro pisses himself from stage fright of having to make a speech in front of so many people" Joey still frowned.

 

"I guess…" Joey replied wryly. Asato leapt and gave him a great big bear hug.

 

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!" he cried before sitting down and letting the blonde breathe.

 

"Well, I might as well do the catering too" Joey added.

 

"Oh you don't have to. I already got someone on that!" Asato chirped happily.

 

"What?" Joey growled and grabbed the amethyst eyed man by the collar. "I give you major discounts on my high quality organic meals. I give you free cocktail drinks to every meal and provided the best service in all of this side of the Domino precinct! AND YOU'RE GOING OFF TO PROMOTE SOME OTHER PISSANT CATERING SERVICE RATHER THAN MINE!?" he bellowed standing up on the bed and lifting the poor and terrified man off his feet by his shirt collar.

 

"NO, NO I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT I-"

 

"WELL WHAT DID YOU MEAN!?" Joey screamed shaking the poor journalist into a whimpering mess.

 

"Big brother?"

 

"WHAT?"

 

"Seto's here to see you" Joey gasped and the lump of quivering jelly dropped to the floor. Joey lay down trying to untangle the strange knots that his sister made.

 

"Don't let him in here with me looking like this!" he whined. "Tell him I'm half dead, contagious and should remain in quarantine"

 

~Come on, come on. Jump a little higher. Come on, come on. If you feel a little lighter. Come on, come on. We were once. Upon a time in love~

 

"You didn't sound half dead from the doorway puppy boy!" Seto said appearing next to the red head. Asato who thanked the blue eyed brunette and regarding him a saint crawled out of the room dragging Serenity out. The two teens were alone.

 

~We're accidentally in love. Accidentally in love~

 

"What are you doing here anyway? Don't you have a presentation to do this morning" Joey asked as he settled into the covers and hid the braids in his hair as best he could. Seto shuffled uncomfortably, he knew his place was here to tell Joey about his feelings but found it incredibly difficult.

 

~Accidentally in love. Accidentally in love~.

 

"I felt it more important for me to be here"

 

"Really? You felt it more important than your own education?" Joey asked disbelieving. Seto swallowed.

 

~Accidentally in love. Accidentally in love.~

 

"Um… well… it's like this… you know it's kind of strange for the one in a million chances for this very strange occurrence to happen and then…"

 

"Seto… I can't believe I'm saying this but you're babbling…" Joey said bluntly. Seto was speechless.

 

~Accidentally in love. Accidentally in love. Accidentally~

 

"To hell with it" Seto finally said and kissed the blonde hard. Joey blinked a few times but he's whole body froze like a popsicle stick when the brunette's tongue slipped into play with his own. It was a breathtaking minute as the two muscles danced with each other. Joey drew in closer to the body and Seto took it up another notch. They groaned but quietened down as they broke away reluctantly.

 

~I'm In Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, Accidentally. .I'm In Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, Accidentally~

 

"Actions speak louder than words right? Did you get the message?" Seto said breathlessly.

 

"Pretty much…" Joey replied and blushed as Seto wrapped his arms around his waist and sat with him on the bed. Joey shuffled over to share the small single between them listening to them talk and laugh about the prospects of the future. "I guess I'm going to have to tell my family about this too huh?"

 

"I was taking a gamble. I didn't know if you were gay or not"

 

~Come on, come on. Spin a little tighter Come on, come on. And the world's a little brighter. Come on, come on

Just get yourself inside her~

 

"What do you mean you were taking a gamble? Didn't you get that impression the `first' time we kissed?" Joey growled. Seto blinked a few times.

 

"When was that?"

 

~Love...~

 

There was a collective gasp of the entire assembly that day. The teachers went ahead with the video tape first in the hopes to stall time for the CEO to come and present his written report afterwards. They were in shock of the mishaps of Seto's clumsiness around the kitchen but the following scene made everything else non-existent.

 

"Don't look, don't look!" Tristan rasped trying to cover Yugi's innocent eyes as the blonde and brunette pulled a full lip lock before them on the large white screen ahead.

 

~ I'm in love~

 

--------

 

Sam: YAY!!!! I FINISHED IT!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!! Oh I love you're responses and patience beloved reviewers. I know this has been a major favourite with 76 posts last time I saw. ARIGATOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND WONDERFUL NEW YEAR! THANK YOU!