Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon A Daydream ❯ Once Upon A Daydream ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh, nor did I create it. An imaginative man from Japan by the name of Kazuki Takahashi did.

I have not read any mangas. I have not seen the Japanese episodes. I just like the Japanese names, so I use them. While surfing the net I somehow stumbled upon a site that had all the Japanese names that I didn't know. After more surfing I found a link to another site by the same person, and was surprised by the fanfictions there. I checked and I was not mistaken- it was by a Mediaminer member by the name of Brockiepoo15. Thank you for clearing some things up, and I miss Rokon too!

This is the fic that saved me from writer's block in the car while driving to Montréal. My cousin was blaring her music and I was thinking of ideas for fanfictions when the two got mixed up and this songfic was created. The song is called 'Once Upon A Daydream' by the Police. It never made it onto one of their five albums, though. And I bet you have heard Police songs, just don't know you did. How about 'Every Breath You Take' or 'Walking On the Moon'? Ever heard of Sting? He was the Police's lead singer. Then he left Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland and went solo. Believe me, Sakura is not happy about that.

~Once Upon A Daydream~
by Duelist Mai

Yugi hated me. He really did, and always will. And he had every right to. Because of all I had done. Everything. I was hardly worthy of the title 'aibou'. It was too nice for me.

It was because of Yugi that I fell in love. It was one of his fiends, one of the people Yugi had often stood up for. And that I had too. But it was Yugi's heart she really deserved.

Love was an odd feeling. A feeling like no other feeling in the world, and certainly not one I had ever felt before. Once in love, it is impossible to resist. Whether it comes upon you slowly or the second you lay eyes on the person.

~Once upon a daydream,
I fell in love with you~

Anzu stood up for Yugi, never giving up yet scared to death. Of Mai; of Kaiba. Always courageous. Never a coward in any way.

When the awful days of horror at the Duelist Kingdom were over and we all suffered quite a bit of shock, when we came home and tried to forget it all but knowing it was a failing effort, I knew I would remember her forever. No matter what.

And one day I decided to tell her. I decided to let her know about my feelings. I was nervous, but love is a powerful strength and source of energy and courage. I said what was on my mind, and knew what she would say to me. I braced myself, knowing that she would deny me, but her response was not what I had thought it would be. A kiss, a pressing together of lips, a sign of love. A sign of feelings.

Our love grew and grew; we saw each other more, we were happy when we were with each other, and we found out what love really was. We became very close to each other.

But we made a mistake. We had gone too far, had gotten ahead of ourselves.

~Once upon a moonbeam,
I gave that love to you~

She was pregnant. We had had too much fun for our teenage hearts. I should confess that, no matter how old I truly was, that because of the incident, I was not much smarter than a teenager should be. We had gotten caught up in love, forgotten the reality of life.

~Once upon a lifetime,
I know it must be true,
When the months had told us,
I'd have to marry you~

I tried to comfort her, knowing that it had mostly been my fault for bringing love up in the first place. She told me that it was as much her fault as it was mine.

~Once upon a daydream,
Doesn't happen anymore,
Once upon moonbeam,
This is no place for tenderness~

Then the time came that we knew would be even worse than the Duelist Kingdom. It was the time to let it be known. They beat her, hurt her so bad that the child died and she almost went with it. They beat me, told me never to talk to her again and to get out of the city before I romanced any more innocent teenaged girls.

~Once her daddy found out,
He threw her to the floor,
He killed her unborn baby,
And kicked me from the door~

I missed Anzu so much. I was heart sick, so sad, wishing to see her just one more time. But when I didn't, I wanted revenge. For taking my heart and hers.

I hated myself for what I did. It was such an odd emotion, like love. But this was different. I wanted revenge. More than that, I wanted to kill the people who had killed Anzu's child, because no woman should have to go through a beating that kills her child. Especially kind Anzu.

Revenge is almost as powerful as love. I wanted blood. So I did something unforgivable. I couldn't control my anger. I killed the people who had beaten Anzu. I killed them. A simple mind crush, a thing they couldn't defend themselves against unless hey knew exactly what was coming. It was over so fast, too. But it left me with an overwhelming mixture of evil, guiltiness, shock, and shame.

~Once upon a nightmare,
I bought myself a gun,
I blew her daddy's brains out,
Now hell has just begun~

The police, after a thorough investigation, found that I was the murderer, even though they had no clue how I had done it. Anzu was there, at the trial. She watched me confess. I had to, for her. I could not lie, not in front of her. I was just happy to see her. But she looked so different; her youth had vanished without a trace. And I had done it. I had hurt the one I had felt for; the one who had known me for who I really was, not the cruel, darker half of Yugi that everyone hated. And then I must have seemed just like that; the one sitting there in the courtroom who had broken her heart, then murdered innocent people.

~Once upon a daydream,
Doesn't happen anymore,
Once upon a moonbeam,
This is no place for sentiment~

And so my sentence was life in jail. I had ruined Yugi's life. He had been so promising. One of the best duelists and such a kind, loving teenager. I could not believe hat I'd done to him. Because, of course, the modern men don't understand magic at all, and so thought that I was Yugi. And they accused him instead of me. But it was because of me that we are in jail. Because of me. I should never have allowed myself to come upon some innocent boy. I will forever be much more cautious. And never again will I fall in love, for love only creates pain and anger.

~Once upon a lifetime,
A lifetime filled with tears,
The boy would pay for his crimes,
With all his natural years~

I will never forget Anzu. Never. Anzu, I'm so sorry. I know you will never forgive me. But I am so sorry. For everything I've ever done. To anyone. Whether it be the beautiful Anzu, the promising Yugi, the kind Joey, or anyone else. I'm sorry for everything.

~Once upon a daydream,
He'd make you his someday,
Once upon a moonbeam,
He'd dream his life away~

And I will forever be in debt to Yugi, whether he be with the Gods or among the mortals, I will never forget him or let him be in need, and I will travel whatever distance it takes to help him if he is in trouble. No matter what. Even in the eternal state of despair I am in.

~Once upon a daydream,
Doesn't happen anymore,
Once upon a moonbeam,
This is no place for miracles

Once upon a daydream,
Once upon a daydream,
Once upon a daydream,
Once upon a daydream~