Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Return of a Master ❯ The Passage of Destiny ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part Six

The houses blur together as I race through the streets, nearly losing my turban to the wind several times. All I can think about is getting to the docks in time. If I don't make it....No! I can't think about what will happen if I don't! I struggle to keep my mind away from the subject, and concentrate on where I'm going.

But despite my efforts, my thoughts turn to gruesome images of my close friend, bleeding profusely, his body a limp rag slowly sinking into the ocean. Or worse...his mind trapped in the chaotic darkness of the Shadow Realm, his body forced to do menial chores for the twisted criminal.

I begin to wonder if I made the right decision, helping Nebamun and bringing him to this little town. Granted, he would have come anyway, and I only increased his chances of succeeding. But what if he wasn't meant to succeed?

This unbidden thought shocks me. After all, I am only trying to repair the balance of fate. When Bakura stole the Eye, he undid that balance. If each person only had one Millennium Item, I hoped, the balance would return to normal.

Suddenly I remember Yugi. The Chosen One. The one fated to unlock all the magic. Who am I to play tag with destiny? I think. Perhaps Bakura is meant to have more than one item, so that Yugi can win them from him....

But before I can ponder this further, I round the last corner, and find Bakura standing in the middle of the street. He seems to be looking around, confused. Where is Nebamun? I wonder. It's been nearly fifteen minutes now!

I turn my head in every direction, hoping that he's just planning a dramatic entrance. But there is no sign of him anywhere. The only sound is the soft swoosh of waves on the shore. Maybe I didn't train him as well as I thought....

But just then, a loud beep breaks the near silence. In shock, I glance down at my comlink, but the "channel busy" light is dark. What, then, could have made that noise?

I look up, puzzled. Then I see that Bakura is holding the comm Nebamun gave him. He is looking at it, probably trying to figure out how it works. After a moment, he pushes the correct button, and Nebamun's voice erupts from the tiny speaker.

"...there? I need help, I got lost...Bakura?" He sounds frightened, and then I realize what he's up to. Clever, very clever...

"Yes, I'm here," he responds in his "innocent" voice. "Did you say you were lost?"

"Oh, thank heavens I got a hold of you. Yes, I'm lost. I was trying to find my way home, and somehow I took a wrong turn and wound up in this dark alley! I can't see a thing! But surely you can find me...with the Ring! Will you please help me?"

"Of course!" Bakura answers kindly. But I can see his face twist into a grin even more malevolent than before. "I'll be there in a few minutes." He closes the lid of the link, and holds up his Ring, muttering something to it. The points at the end begin to glow, and suddenly jerk toward the left. Bakura takes off running, with me right behind him.