Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Return of a Master ❯ Millennium Duel, part 4 ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part Eleven

The tension is high as Pegasus and Bakura stare each other down. The crowd is trembling, hanging on every detail. I stand there quietly, thinking. This is certainly becoming the show Pegasus wanted it to be, I think, but can he win? I know I taught him a great deal about the Heart of the Cards, but he doesn't seem to be using what he learned....

Suddenly, Bakura breaks the silence. "Well? Are you going to make a move, or not?" he sneers. "You can always forfeit, you know. It would save you a great deal of embarrassment...."

"I have no intention of losing!!!" Pegasus snarls right back. He furiously yanks out his next card, narrowing his eyes at Bakura as he does so. Then, his face breaks into a smile. "Your beast is not as invulnerable as you think! See what you make of this!!!" He slaps the card onto the field, the disk creaking in mild protest.

As a card appears in front of Pegasus, face-down, Bakura shakes his head pityingly. "I gave you a chance to back out. Now you'll pay for your lack of judgment!" He draws a card absently. "Attack his last defense, my mighty beast! Feral Slice!"

The towering creature approaches Pegasus slowly, a savage grin on his face. As he reaches the card, he leans forward, staring directly into Pegasus's eyes. He snorts a little, and Pegasus has to cover his face to block out the smell. Howling with laughter, the beast steps back, and abruptly leaps about ten feet into the air, slashing the card in two as he comes back down.

But instead of vanishing, the light around the card only increases, to reveal a glittering figure wrapped in ivory wings. "The Shining Angel!" Bakura exclaims, groaning.

Pegasus lets out another of his classic giggles. "You're not the only one who can pull off a trick like this!" Grinning, he pokes his finger at the holographic list that has appeared in the air in front of him. "But instead of wasting his power on a weakling, like you did, I'll summon one of my favorite monsters, the Dreamsprite!"

A peal of laughter ripples through the crowd as a creature no bigger than a butterfly materializes in front of them. Giggling, it flies closer to the Beast and blows a raspberry. The Beast of Talwar just stands there, looking disdainful.

Bakura stares at the tiny fairy, dumbstruck. "You...you think that..." he chokes out, before breaking out into uncontrollable giggles.

"Go ahead and laugh. But she is more powerful than you know," Pegasus says, with a wry grin on his face. "Now...is it my turn, then?"

Bakura struggles to control his laughter, and barely manages to choke out, "Y-ye-es-s."

"Very well then. I will use the special power of my Soul of Purity and Light to return her from the graveyard, in defense mode, sacrificing the souls of my Shining Angel and Neo the Magic Swordsman to do so!" The stunningly beautiful creature reappears on the field, winking at the Beast. "And I'll equip her with the Horn of Light, to help protect my life points!"

As the glistening horn materializes around her neck, Bakura finally regains control of himself. Panting slightly, he nods and says, "Very well then. Do you end your turn?"

"I do," Pegasus replies, waving a hand gracefully in Bakura's direction. "Do your worst."

"Rest assured, Pegasus, I certainly will." He draws a card, sets it on the field, and then whispers, "You forgot to switch that little butterfly of yours into defense position. Even with the added protection of your Soul, it doesn't stand a chance against my all-powerful fiend."

The taunt seems to hit Pegasus like a bullet. "I...what?!?" He glances at the field and gasps, "Oh no, you're right!" He groans, covering his face with his hand.

"Ugh...cut the theatrics. Let's just get this over with!" Bakura groans. He points at his beast. "Attack now, so we can end this! Destroy that aggravating pixie!"

Pegasus removes his hand from his face and lets out a small chuckle. "I knew you'd fall for it," he murmurs. As if agreeing with him, the Dreamsprite giggles as well. The Beast of Talwar rushes up to her, slashing his swords with all his might. But she just zips out of the way, giggling even harder.

"What?!?" Bakura exclaims. He stares in horror as the beast slashes at her over and over, with the same result. "Come on! Hit her already!" The beast snorts with anger, and swings his swords again with all his might. But this time, his attack doesn't just sever thin air. Instead, it angles toward the Soul of Purity and Light.

"No! Call off your attack!" Bakura screams at the Beast anxiously. But it is too late. The blades halt in midair, striking the shield created by the Horn of Light. The extra force from the attack rebounds and hits Bakura, knocking him to his knees.

He moans with pain, but lifts himself back up. "Grr...you'll pay for that, Pegasus!"

"Will I, now?" Pegasus taunts him. "Your foolish attack has already cost you 500 of your life points. Are you willing to risk the rest of them, for a little thing like revenge?"

Bakura narrows his eyes. "Revenge is never little," he snarls, "and it is always satisfying."

"No," Yugi murmurs softly. "Revenge can only bring you pain."

Silently, I agree with him, wondering what on earth had possessed me before, that I would agree to such a thing. It is incredibly dishonorable to condone such an act. I sigh, finally realizing the truth. What I have done is wrong! I cover my face with my hand in shame. Nevertheless, what's done is done, and I have to see this through.

Pegasus takes a deep breath, seeming to calm his nerves. I begin to wonder if he is thinking the same thing. But instead of realization and guilt, pride flashes across his features. "You're right, revenge is very rewarding," he declares. "I wouldn't be here today if I didn't believe that. But enough of this. Let the duel continue!"

Both of them lean forward as if they are having a staring match, not a duel. "It is my turn," Pegasus states after a few moments.

"Very well. I highly recommend that you do not waste it," Bakura replies scathingly. He glares at Pegasus while he draws his card. "Go ahead-make your move. But be aware that no matter what you play, I will find a way to beat it."

"We shall see." Pegasus shrugs, and sets another card on the field. "I'll play another monster in face-down defense position. And since none of my monsters can attack, it is your turn now."

"Very well," Bakura says, letting his breath out slowly. "I activate my face-down card, Mystic Plasma Zone!" A gigantic black cloud appears in the middle of the field, whirling violently. "It adds 500 points to my Beast's attack power, and also blocks out your Soul's irritating light."

"Hmm...yes, you have overcome that particular barrier. But now you face a choice. Which of my monsters are you going to attack?" Pegasus asks quizzically.

"You're taunting me, I know it," Bakura hisses. "It won't work. Although I could attack and destroy that aggravating spirit of yours, I know you'd simply sacrifice two more Light monsters and bring her back again. And I can't attack that pixie, either. You've left me no choice, and you're well aware of it."

Pegasus chuckles, but says nothing. He is clearly enjoying himself.

Bakura sighs. "I hate it when I have to follow my opponent's plan. But I must attack if I want to end this duel and win my prize!" He sighs again, and holds out his hand imperiously. "Attack his face-down card!"

The beast slashes the card immediately, and returns to his spot in front of his master. But instead of shattering, the card flips up to reveal a gigantic eagle with an engine strapped to his back. "The Sonic Bird! I knew it was a trap!" Bakura groans.

"Yes, and you fell for it, hook, line, and sinker," Pegasus sneers. "His power allows me to search my deck for a magic card, and a special one at that. This duel will soon be over."

Pegasus flips through his deck, selecting his card carefully. "But now it is my turn. And I choose to play a magic card, Rising Air Current!" The wind picks up, blowing the swirling plasma away like so much whipped cream.

Bakura groans. "I bet I know what's coming next," he says.