Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Chaos Master ❯ Not the best help in the World ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Takahashi does, and he finally says that if I can pay for the wedding, Sith and Ryou can truly get married.
 
It'd taken a good ten minutes before anyone was even on the porch to Malik's house. By that time, the sky was already lightening to a darker blue, bright around the horizon, where the sun was just peeking up to greet them. Ryou noticed Sami was watching it almost quizzically, as though she were surprised to see such a sight. Then he remembered that they should've been. Whatever Amber had done, it should've kept the city in the dark. But for some reason, it was losing its effect. And Sami wasn't the only one to notice, either. Yami and Bakura watched in silence, as well, marking the sun's pace as it slowly rose. Even Rex was disturbed by it, shielding his eyes as he looked directly at the few rays of pale light. Something wasn't right.
 
“I didn't think we'd be seeing sunlight so soon,” Rex commented, and looked at Sami, “What's the matter, you think?” Sami just frowned, her gaze slowly leaving the sky. She didn't want to know the possibilities it could mean, but she did know it wasn't a blessing. The sun still wasn't strong enough to keep the monsters at bay, if they existed.
 
“I think she's planning stage three of her revenge,” she said grimly, crossing her arms, “She's running out of power, and she's probably pulling back, but that doesn't mean we can rest easy. She still has four of the five orbs.” Ryou nodded, taking a deep breath. For all they knew, she might even have the fifth right then. Then he cursed. He should've asked the man about the orb when he had been cornered. That would relieve some of the worry, at least.
 
“If I summon the Winged Dragon, we may be able to find the last orb,” Yami offered, but Sami shook her head. Using their own monsters wouldn't do much good. She knew the blonde man would catch on and hide. She'd have to confront him herself. That would be the only way to get the orb.
 
“We'd be better off leaving the man to run on his own,” she replied, and looked down, “I'll find the last orb myself. He won't let anyone but me near him.” Ryou just nodded his agreement. Technically, the blonde man would. He'd just kill that person five seconds later. Rex just shrugged it away, though, and brought out a pair of cuffs.
 
“If he brings out a weapon, I'm getting him for public hazard,” the detective said. But everyone ignored him. Bakura just frowned as he watched the band of blue get wider with each passing second. He'd seen this before, so long ago.
 
“Zork allowed just a tiny ray of morning to shine through before he crushed Egypt,” he murmured, and both Yami and Sami looked at him with grave worry, “It's a scare tactic, if you ask me.” Sami bit her lip. As much as she wanted to believe him, something told her that wasn't entirely the case. But Zork brought up a good analogy. He had enshrouded the world in darkness, much like Amber was doing. Only he was much more powerful. She looked over at the old spirit.
 
“What happened at that point?” she asked. Bakura glanced at her suspiciously.
 
“Why would you ask?” he countered calmly. Sami noticed he seemed defensive toward her, as though she personally caused him hesitation. She didn't feel that was overly fair. She hadn't done anything to cause Zork… but then again, had she? She didn't know. She sighed, and looked toward the sky again.
 
“We're probably dealing with a similar case,” she explained simply, “I just thought if we have a reference, maybe we could stop her.” Bakura hummed. That was an interesting way to go about it. But this was a bit different. Zork didn't use orbs; he used his own power, a source so incredibly evil, that the world had no choice but to succumb. Amber was just childish. Still, if it'd help…
 
“I'll try my best to summarize it,” he said, “When I summoned Zork, the world was encased immediately in a black shroud. Monsters did appear, like it is now, but on a grander scale. They weren't normal monsters; they were undead. It took Ra to defeat them, and even then, the dragon alone wasn't enough.” Sami frowned. That certainly didn't sound promising.
 
“Tell me you got him,” she said, looking over at Yami. The old pharaoh snorted, and nodded as he held up the three God cards. Sami could barely see them, but she understood his point.
 
“We had to call all three of them and combine them into one being to slay Zork,” he replied, and then pointed at Bakura with his chin, “As for Bakura and I… that's how we ended up sealed within our items for eternity.” Sami's grim expression fell away. So they did die honorably. She had often wondered how they came to be. She looked away, and frowned again. They sacrificed themselves for it.
 
“That's… not an end I'd like to take,” she whispered. Ryou suddenly glanced, his eyes locking on hers for a moment. For just a moment, there was a spark between them, an understanding of just what might actually seal the orbs. But it fled before Ryou fully comprehended it. It was like a premonition. Did that mean Sami would have to die? No… it couldn't! This wasn't like Zork. At least, Ryou wanted to tell himself that. But he knew there was a part of him that understood what her words had actually meant. It wasn't a fear; she was saying something that he knew would be true soon. It made his stomach turn.
 
He had little time to digest that, however. As soon as Malik was at the door, he was knocking on it. There was no response, and Ryou heard Malik sigh heavily. He turned, and saw Malik was pounding on the door. Still, there was no answer. Joey, who'd come up along with Shimbou to help support Malik, looked over at the black-haired boy, who shrugged just as helplessly.
 
“Think they're even home?” he asked. Sami turned around and walked over now, wondering how far Malik would go until he gave up. She didn't even hear movement from inside.
 
“It's more likely that they fled,” she stated, and crossed her arms, “But then why not even tell us?” That was a good question. Ryou didn't think fleeing was the case. That wasn't Katt's style, anyway.
 
“Katt, open the damn door!” Malik exclaimed, and this time, they definitely heard shuffling. Ryou barely saw Katt's frame in the window.
 
“Depends. Are you supporting that asshole still?” she asked, and Malik sighed. Their argument over who was actually right, between Sami and Kaiba, had escalated badly after Ryou and his friends had fallen into Winbourne. And it would probably only get worse if he didn't get in his house.
 
“Are you still mad!?” Malik cried, unable to believe her unreasonableness, “Katt, I was making a joke! Come on!” But anyone who knew Katt knew how stubborn she could get. Sami wasn't in the mood to play, either. She pushed her way past Malik and pounded the door to the point of the wood splintering. Malik opened his mouth to protest, and then closed it. If she did that much to a door, then she'd probably turn tail and haul him off with one shot, too.
 
“Katt, let us in the goddamn house NOW!” she growled. And that was all the warning Katt needed. She shivered and opened the door immediately, not even blinking when Sami stormed through and into the living room. Tea and Ishtar were sitting in the living room, and now Miho and Tristan had also joined them. But to no one's surprise, Kaiba wasn't in the room. Sami glanced around, and then looked at Katt quizzically.
 
“Where is Kaiba?” she asked curiously, raising a slender brow. Katt looked away, and Sami didn't need to answer to know he probably wasn't in the house. Tea, however, proved her wrong.
 
“He's in the kitchen, cooling off. Seems he and Katt can't see eye to eye on this,” she explained quietly, and then asked, “What about you? Did you find what you needed?” Sami hummed sadly, her expression softening. She shook her head and sat down, laying her forehead in her palms. Ryou and Yugi joined her, both of them concerned with how she ended up in the sewer. She hadn't explained anything to anyone, but it was clear whatever she was doing was exhausting her. After a moment, she looked up at Tea again.
 
“No, nothing,” she replied, and then to Ryou, she said, “Aeon's disappeared again. I'm worried Amber got to him… and the blonde man… he could be dead by now…” Ryou tensed. He didn't want to tell her that the man was alive and apparently well. Katt seemed just as hesitant, too, but she did walk over and give her sister a hug, Sami's wings ruffling in worry as she did.
 
“You'll see him again,” Katt stated calmly, “He always shows up when you're in danger.” Ryou just grumbled under his breath. That was true enough, and if he kept showing up, Ryou might very well end up dead in the near future. Sami still didn't seem convinced, but they didn't have the time to prove her fears wrong. At that moment, Ishizu walked in, her skin pale and her body shaking. She looked as though she'd seen something so horrifying, she'd faint on the spot. Sami stared wide-eyed as Malik and Ishtar rushed over to help her, with Odion running down to aid his sister as well. She practically fell into a chair, her eyes wide in terror. Gripping the arms, she stared at Ryou and Sami. There was a ghostly energy about her that neither person liked.
 
“Our world is ending as we speak,” she said in an eerie, distant voice, as though it weren't actually hers, “You have failed, Sith Winchester, in your duties and in your promise. You have… one day before Omega is unleashed. Get to the desolate island and kill the one releasing the sealed magic.” Everyone looked at Sami, knowing fully that Ishizu's message was aimed directly at the woman. Sami's visage became grim, almost scowling. That was more than enough warning for her. She stood, everyone looking up at her in either fear or shock. Even though they had no idea what Ishizu was saying, didn't mean they didn't get the message. Sami was heading out to find Amber, this time alone.
 
“You're not actually going out there alone, are you!?” Rex asked her as she passed him, going back to the front door. She stopped just once, looking at no one, and nodded. What other choice did she have, anyway? That wasn't Ishizu speaking; that was Bahamut himself.
 
“That's exactly what I'm doing,” she replied grimly, “Out of my way.”
 
“Sami, you can't go out there!” Miho cried, “It's suicide!” As if that would stop Sami in any way. Sami looked at her for just a second, and then pushed past Rex. But he wouldn't move. Even if he disliked her, he didn't want her killing herself, either.
 
“You are insane! Think about this for a minute! We just need…”
 
“Don't you people understand that we don't have time anymore!?” Sami snapped angrily, turning to face them all, “Amber has all of the orbs now. I can't stop and think for a minute because there is nothing to think about! I must kill her! I have no choice! We failed! I… I failed…” She looked down. Her sword had gone in her hand instinctively, but what was she going to do with it? Slaughter them all because she failed? Katt bit her lip and walked over, taking Sami's arm and bringing the woman to her seat again. Sami made no resistance.
 
“You didn't fail,” Katt said, but on the inside, she knew exactly what Bahamut was saying, “We have some time.”
 
“Not much of it, though,” Malik pointed out, and when Katt glared at him angrily, he said, “Look, Katt, I know you want to help Sami, but she's got a point. We're out of time.” Katt sniffed, dismayed at the truth to Malik's words. It wasn't all Sami's fault, damn it! Just then, Kaiba came out of the kitchen, having heard Sami's outburst. Malik looked over and furiously growled, “Just the man we want to see.”
 
“Where are the directions to your island, Kaiba?” Ryou demanded, standing up and striding to the young man. As much as he hated having to confront anyone, he was doing this for Sami's sake. And he also had a sword. If needed, that would convince Kaiba to help. And by the look on Kaiba's face, Ryou would need every advantage he could find. The older man just smirked, crossing his arms and tapping his foot.
 
“Why the hell should I help you two!?” Kaiba demanded, equally as frustrated. When Ryou went to protest, Kaiba cut him off and said, “I don't give a shit, Bakura. Look, I'm no idiot. I don't believe in this magical faerie tale Winchester weaves, but I'm not dumb. Every time she heads out there, something gets blown to pieces. I won't risk my company.” This time, Sami really had it with Kaiba. She stood up and smacked him across the face so hard that she managed to draw blood. Kaiba fell backwards, crashing into the table. Tea and Mokuba both protested, but Sami simply pushed past them, grabbing Kaiba's collar. As much as she understood the man's reasoning, there was a limit to selfishness. And when Kaiba stared into her eyes, he knew he'd reached it. Her irises were crimson.
 
“Then I hope you're happy knowing we all die because of you,” she growled, and threw him back to the floor, “I have no time for cowards. I'll find that damned island my own way, even if I spend the entire night flying across the world.”
 
“What if you can't find it?” Yugi asked her, and she looked at him gravely. He knew what she was silently saying. That was probably how it'd play out. Silently, he wished her good luck, and she started for the front door again. Despite the opposition of every one of her friends, Sami couldn't let Amber win now. She'd taken too much, including a good chunk of Sami's own life. The fact that she now had both Aeon and the blonde man was just more fuel for the fire. Ryou didn't miss the hatred in Sami's eyes. This would be an all-out war. Just as the woman threw the door open, Kaiba spoke again. And it was only his voice that halted her steps.
 
“Hold it, Winchester,” he said, and sighed audibly, “The island's three miles off Domino Bay, toward the east. There's a natural land bridge connecting the island to the shoreline.” Sami just gave him a stern look. Again, her powerful expression told him exactly what he needed to hear: if she found he was lying, he wouldn't be breathing for much longer. He nodded firmly. She turned to open the door, when she heard the faint click of a pen. And she glanced back. Attention had been focused to Rex.
 
“Okay… down at the bay… a land bridge… there! Got the directions!” Rex stated, and held up the pad. Unfortunately, Sami hadn't been able to see them. She wished she had her glasses with her. Tugging Ryou's arm, she pointed to where she thought Rex was. Ryou looked down at her, and then sighed. He just patted her back as Bakura took the pad and looked at it in amusement. Then he just laughed, slapping the pad on the table.
 
“You call those directions?” the old thief asked mockingly, “Looks more like some kid on crack went loose with the Crayolas again. We can't use those.” Rex's brows just creased defensively, and he threw his arms up.
 
“Sure we can!” he exclaimed angrily, “My own father wanted me to be a cartographer! I know how to make maps!” Unfortunately for him, no one else shared that opinion, and as Yami grabbed the pad, Rex said, “Hey! That's federal property! Don't make me book you for petty theft!” Yami ignored him, giving the notepad to Ryou to properly examine. Not that Ryou needed to. He saw clearly the level of depth Rex had gone to. Or lack of it. Sami tugged his arm again.
 
“What the hell is it!?” she demanded, as Bakura and Ishtar began taunting Rex over the map. Ryou just sighed. She should've just let well enough alone.
 
“Nothing,” he replied, and then to Kaiba, “I have your directions.” Kaiba just nodded absently. Even if Ryou didn't, he wasn't going to repeat them. Ryou was about to turn to tell Bakura to quit taunting the flustered detective, but when he saw the old thief, he saw a reign of absolute terror. Rex had pushed Bakura so hard, the old spirit was flailing back, going straight for the statue of Obelisk that decorated the small walkway between Malik's living room and dining room. Ishtar ran immediately to try and help him, but there was little help. In just a matter of one moment, Bakura crashed, and the statue wobbled uncertainly. Then, it toppled over. Ryou watched it all in horror. The entire stone formation fell, shattering upon the floor. Ishizu rushed in at the noise, and saw only the piles of crumbled stone. With Bakura and Ishtar lying amidst them. She fell to her knees.
 
“The… the statue!” she cried, as Odion came rushing down the stairs from hearing the noise, “You… get out, both of you!” She pointed to the two spirits accusingly, her entire frame shaking in utter outrage. Ryou bit his lip. That wasn't entirely fair. But the statue was utterly destroyed. Ishtar stood, dusting his cloak off. Then he turned to Ishizu defiantly. Bakura was more than willing to just leave, but Ishtar wasn't about to be blamed for what he didn't do. Technically, what happened was Rex's fault.
 
“We didn't mean to!” he declared angrily, “Rex pushed us! We…”
 
OUT!” Ishizu yelled, and both spirits rushed away in terror. Her breathing became rapid as she realized that her most prized statue was gone. Odion helped her up and sat her in the nearest chair as Malik walked over, getting her a glass of water. Clearly, neither of them had ever seen her this upset. Sami joined them, if only to hand Ishizu a cold cloth with some ice in it. Malik knelt down, looking up at his sister with concern.
 
“Will you be okay?” he asked her gently. She nodded, wiping her warm forehead with the cloth. She took a deep breath, and nodded.
 
“Those two are never allowed here again,” she whispered, even though she and Malik knew she'd cool off in a few days. Then she took another breath. Setting the statue aside, she looked up at Sami and said, “Good luck on your next destination.” Sami just nodded grimly, crossing her arms as she looked out the window. Right then, she'd need all the luck she was offered. The sun had peeked for just a while, as Bakura said, and then darkness came right back to the city. Amber wasn't so powerless, after all.
 
“Odion, what's wrong?” she heard Malik ask, and Sami turned again. Odion seemed to be trying to say something, something that was making him nervous, but no words came out. He was afraid to speak them. She looked up at him. She had never spoken to him once, but she knew fear when she saw it.
 
“Don't be afraid, sir,” she said. He smiled weakly. Then he turned toward the television, and then to the sky. Sami followed his gaze.
 
“The news… stated that there is a massive storm moving in,” he explained worriedly, and everyone, save for Sami and Rex, gasped in concern, “I'm… I'm only concerned for your health! It… it said…”
 
“That in every way, the storm's unnatural, right? Vicious winds that appear to be blowing in no true direction, massive storm clouds that couldn't be detected on normal radar?” Sami continued, and when Odion nodded, she turned to Kaiba and said, “Looks like magic decided to screw you over, jackass.” Ryou hid a snort and heard Yami snicker at the sheer amusement in Sami's tone. Likewise, Malik seemed pretty close to bursting out in laughter, too. Kaiba's head just lowered, wishing that magic had been blown to Oblivion millennia ago. Which was funny; Oblivion was the reason for magic.
 
“I hate you so much,” he said flatly, as though that'd get a rise out of the older woman. It didn't. At least, not much of one. He could just hear her retort, even when she didn't speak.
 
“I think it's pretty damn ironic,” Tristan added in. Kaiba just glared angrily at him, and Sami frowned slightly. Yes, it was ironic, but that didn't mean it was funny, despite her finding amusement in it. She seemed to have forgotten that part.
 
“So then I guess you'll be chuckling it up when we get swallowed by Leviathan,” she said, just as flatly as Kaiba had been, “Knowing our luck, Amber would have been dumb enough to summon him.” That shut Tristan up. He didn't know who Leviathan was, but he guessed it was another Esper. Or some form of monster. Its name was scary enough, at least. Sami walked slowly, purposefully to the window. The storm was getting worse with each passing second. For now, the sky was gray. But she saw the black horizon, in the direction she'd need to go. That alone was enough of a message to make her leave. She turned to the group at large and asked, “Does anyone have a good idea as to how to get across the sea?” Only one person was brave enough to speak.
 
“We could try and swim there,” Shimbou suggested. That earned him glare upon glare from every other person, either in disbelief or in a want to hit him for that idea. If Odion said the storm was bad, then Ryou wanted to know just why Shimbou thought swimming, which would expose all of them, would be a good idea. Rex snorted, shaking his head in disbelief at the notion, innocent as it was.
 
“We'd be better off feeding ourselves directly to a shark,” the would-be detective countered, looking out the window, “How about kayaking?”
 
“That'll be great once we topple over,” Joey replied in boredom. Rex just sighed. At least he was trying, unlike Shimbou. Yami and Sami just exchanged nervous glances. This was technically their responsibility. And neither had a good idea as to fulfilling their job.
 
“Should I go scout the area?” he asked her quietly, “You know, recon style?”
 
“I'd be an idiot if I sent you out alone,” Sami replied grimly, crossing her arms and leaning against the window, “If we're going to waste time on reconnaissance, there's no point in doing it at all. We might as well head out and jump off the cliff Amber's providing us with.” Yami looked down. He didn't want them all to leave so soon, but Sami wasn't looking like she'd be giving them much choice on the matter. She even said she was leaving that night, herself. Yugi looked up at her with wide eyes.
 
“We head out?” he asked her, and when she nodded, he said, “From the sound of it, the world might end if we don't move.” Sami didn't want to tell him how right he actually was. If Amber kept this up, their world would literally start falling apart. Aeon had said the world was on the brink of magical overload.
 
“Well…” Sami hesitated for a moment, realizing that technically, not many of them had rested since this even started. She frowned, “Actually, maybe a few hours won't hurt us.” Everyone just became confused with this notion. She had stressed that time was important. But then they saw her point. Even if they went out right then, Amber would kill them if they were exhausted. Unfortunately, Rex wasn't sure he liked the idea of procrastination.
 
“You just said we had to haul ass,” he pointed out flatly, “Look, I know you're calling the shots, Winchester, but help us out a little! Are we going or aren't we? And if we aren't, can I at least call my boss and get some approval for this!?” Just as unfortunate, Sami didn't seem the least bit sympathetic to his whining. She didn't like having to stop, either, but she had to think about everyone else. Even her own body might fail her after the initial adrenaline rush wore off.
 
“I don't particularly care what you have to do,” she replied seriously, “As much as I understand what's going on, I can't overlook the fact that we've neither eaten nor slept for days. Now I suggest you get your affairs in order before you start complaining to me. I don't like cowards and I certainly won't tolerate any on my team. Understood?” Rex just nodded stiffly. He understood when a sword was being aimed for his throat. And so did Ishizu. She stood up, realizing that if she didn't insist on them all retiring, fights would break out soon. Particularly between Kaiba, Rex, Sami, and Yami, all of whom were deemed the ones in charge of this situation. She clapped her hands once, gaining every set of eyes within the room.
 
“I believe a night of rest is in order,” she said calmly, “You have the day to relax, but I insist we wait the night out.” Sami, oddly enough, gave her silent approval.
 
The hours passed in slow, steady silence. Most of the house's occupants spent the entire day resting and preparing for the showdown off Domino's coast. Ishizu, Tea, and Katt merely spent the hours taking care of everyone else; as passive parts of the battle, there was little else they could do. Joey and Tristan had been asleep for hours at that point, and Ryou himself spent the day watching the storm outside. Only when the very pale rays of daylight disappeared, did he come back down to the lower floors. Dinner had already been concluded, and most everyone retired to their rooms. Only Sami was about. And she was sitting within Ishizu's small study, looking over maps and old volumes of books in languages Ryou couldn't read. He tiptoed in quietly.
 
“Do you ever sleep?” he asked softly, knowing that somewhere, she did. She looked up from her book, and he said, “You've been through hell and back, Sami. You should sleep.”
 
“True enough,” she conceded, turning back to her studying, “But someone needs to plan this out, and I highly doubt your friends are up to the job. Half of them are asleep as we speak.” Ryou frowned. That was also true enough, but Sami was still mortal. And all mortals needed to sleep unless they were insomniacs. Or in this case, willing to risk being murdered. And he didn't want Sami against those odds. He placed a hand on her shoulder.
 
“And as proud as I am of your dedication, Sami, the work shouldn't all be left to you,” he replied calmly, “Let Yami try and do some of this. I'm sure he'll know what some of these languages are.” Sami just laughed. She'd be very surprised if Yami understood either Esper or German, but she didn't put up the argument. Ryou was right, and she needed to sleep soon. She pushed the book off her lap and stood, stretching out. Her muscles were sore from hours of reading. And by the looks of the sky outside, it'd been many hours indeed. Hopefully she'd sleep well tonight.
 
“Perhaps he might,” she agreed, and walked out with him, shutting the study light off, “Anyway, make sure you get sleep, too. I won't wake you when we leave.” Ryou hadn't counted that she would. She hadn't done that since he had turned seventeen.
 
They walked up the stairs in silence after that, neither one having anything to say to the other. Sami seemed absorbed in whatever it was she had been planning, and likewise, Ryou never liked disturbing her. The hallway felt longer than normal in the night, and taking a single candle off one of the end tables decorating the hall, Sami handed it to Ryou as they stopped at one door; her room, most likely. She turned to him, her face looking gaunt in the pale candlelight. He took it with shaking hands.
 
“Get some sleep, Sami,” he said quietly. Sami nodded, opening the door a crack. Already, Tea and Miho were sound asleep. Sami took just a look inside, smiled, and then turned to Ryou again.
 
“You as well,” she replied. Ryou smiled. Then Sami walked inside and closed the door. Just like that, she had retired. Ryou's smile vanished. Somehow, it saddened him that she left without so much as a good-night. He just slumped, and then continued on toward his room.
 
“So much for an engagement,” he sighed, glancing down at his pockets. The ring he wanted to give her was still in there, but now, he was beginning to have second thoughts. Not because he didn't care for her, but something else inside of him. Something that told him that some part of their relationship wasn't quite right. Was it because Sami was older? Perhaps far, far older? Ryou didn't know.
 
While Ryou was glad that the hall had been deserted in the hours of the evening, he heard noise coming from Malik's room as he continued down toward the end of the hall. He stopped abruptly, and noticed the door was still partly open. And he looked inside. Malik and Yugi were currently playing a board game, and Malik happened to actually be winning, something that was so rare, Yugi was having a hard time accepting it. But he did, and when he noticed Ryou watching them, he waved the older boy inside. Malik just grinned triumphantly. He had Monopoly in the palm of his hand. As well as over one thousand dollars, too.
 
“Hey, Ryou. All of the other guest rooms are full, so I thought you'd want to stay with Yugi and I,” Malik stated cheerfully, almost proudly as Ryou walked in, “You know, boys night out? Except that we're not heading out or anything.” Ryou just snorted. Malik would've had to be absolutely deranged to want to head out in the middle of the storm. He waved for his friends to continue their game, and he took a seat by the window, watching as rain began to drizzle down. The storm would most likely last the night. It suited how Ryou felt.
 
“Ryou, are you all right?” Yugi asked, when he found he couldn't focus on the game and that Ryou looked very grim in the dimness of the room. Ryou blinked, not expecting the question. Then he nodded, and turned to his two friends. He didn't mean to disrupt them.
 
“Just thinking that this might actually be the end if we fail,” he replied easily, but it clearly weighed in his voice, “…look, I'm going to show you both something that not even Sami knows about. Promise you won't tell her.” Malik and Yugi edged closer, and Ryou pulled out the ring. The band was made of gold, with an emerald set in the middle. In the dark, it caught the few rays of light beautifully. It was beyond anything Malik had ever seen, and he took it from Ryou's hands.
 
“You bought an engagement ring!” Malik breathed, making sure to keep his voice low enough so no one outside the room heard him, “Ryou, this must've cost you some serious money!” He turned the ring so it caught the few stray spots of light from the candles. The storm had already knocked the lights out hours ago. The inner gem looked magnificent; no human could've caught such a beauty. He looked over at Ryou again, “Are you going to propose?” Ryou looked away, and shivered.
 
“I… I don't know,” he whispered, “I mean, I care about her. She's been my friend for years now… but something's wrong. Something inside feels wrong.” Malik bit his lip. He had already proposed to Katt, though he didn't dare reveal that to Sami just yet. He had too many reasons to want to live. Still, he understood the hesitancy Ryou felt. He patted the younger boy's shoulder.
 
“It's just nerves, my friend,” he assured, but like Ryou, something else said differently, “Look, why not talk to Sami about it and see how she feels about the idea? She might actually say yes!” Ryou seemed to consider that, but Yugi, for once, wasn't as cheerfully bright as usual. He frowned, looking at the ring for a moment.
 
“You might want to wait a while for that. Even with the time being reversed, she's still over twenty, isn't she?” Yugi reminded them, crushing Malik's suggestion to bits, “That's still illegal.” Ryou just snorted softly, and Malik shook his head in disbelief. That was enough to warrant Sami saying `no.'
 
After several more minutes of speaking on the subject or marriages, Ishizu finally entered the room and reminded them that Sami wouldn't be waking anyone up before the day tomorrow. Ryou understood that perfectly, and while Malik protested strongly, he and Yugi were fast asleep before long, with Ryou following them as soon as he put the ring on the nightstand. However, even as they slept, not all within the house remained undisturbed. Outside of Malik's window, just a mere flicker of shadow, sat the lone figure of one man. In the faintest light, his blonde hair was illuminated, whipping across his pale face in the wind as he watched Ryou sleep with his good eye. His mouth turned only slightly to a grin as he saw the ring.
 
“Marriage, eh?” the man said, nearly laughing, “We'll see, Ryou Bakura. We'll see how it plays out.” Then, the man was gone into the night. Just like all movement within the sleeping house.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
After getting to Malik's house and finding out that they may be too late, Ryou's team decides to take some rest before heading out to face Amber directly. With directions to the island, finding it won't be hard. But can they survive against five overly powerful spells? And what is the blonde man planning, if he hasn't been captured yet? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!