Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Game Master! ❯ Aeon's Spotlight ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh, Death Note, Final Fantasy VI, or Castlevania. But because it's Christmas when this was updated, the dudes who do own them said I don't need to mention who owns what. Hooray!
 
Ryou wasn't sure how or why what happened had happened, but he knew magic was the sole purpose behind it. As they stepped forward, all six of them, toward the stairs leading back down the ninety-some odd floors, Ryou really came to understand he should have expected something completely messed up to happen. But he hadn't, and now they all stood there, still as stone, glued to the floor in nearly silent wait. What they were waiting for, only Sith actually seemed to know. But it certainly didn't make it easier for her, knowing any of this. And to make it worse, Malik had taken that minute to glare at her for a comment she had made earlier, and now his face was permanently set in a scowl. And it was aimed right at the old Esper.
 
“Well, this day sucks,” Malik said hopelessly, and Sith barely rose a stiff brow, “We're stuck on a damn floor, and there's a good chance it's so someone can kill us. Sith, can this get worse?” Sith wanted to snort, but she had no movement. Her throat was unlocked only enough to speak, and even then, she sounded strained from such an effort. She took a shallow breath.
 
“Kratz himself could be here,” she said simply, and though Malik had no idea what Kratz was capable of, he knew the man was some god of death. And one that even Sith was wary of. He frowned.
 
“Stupid magic…” he mumbled, hoping his voice was low enough for Sith not to hear. But she had, and she didn't like what he said. Her brows creased and she lunged forward, as if hoping to shatter the magic keeping her bound. But she was halted before she even left, and frustrated, she merely growled.
 
“Say that again and I'll kill you,” she said vehemently, and Malik just stared. He understood she took the insult personally. After all, she was comprised of magic. But before he could give her an apology, Ryou glared at them both. Obviously, he expected better from them.
 
“No one is killing anyone else,” he said sternly, and Sith's expression softened, “Look, we're all tired. But we need to hold out a bit more. Something is coming.” Only Sith and Aeon could sense this, though, and half of their number was skeptical about Ryou's claim. But Ryou knew what he said was right. He felt ripples of power ascending, so slowly, up the tower walls.
 
“Then where the hell is it?” Malik asked Ryou sourly, and visibly twitched, “I'm trying, buddy, but I can't sense evil like you. Is he at least coming quickly?
 
“You're awfully excited to be getting your ass kicked,” Matt commented, and Malik's mouth dropped at such an unexpected answer, “I don't know shit about Kratz, but I know when Sith's scared. And she's not exactly thrilled here, so that means you'd better can it before you get killed.” Malik stared at Matt for a long moment, trying to figure out the point of telling him something like that. To him, this was getting just a bit ridiculous. If someone was going to kill them, he might as well do it quickly. But that wasn't how a villain worked; the other Mystics were proof of that, and even his own insane side took his time exacting revenge.
 
“Well, sorry for being impatient,” Malik finally snapped grumpily, unable to find anything more to say, “I just want to get this over with.” Sith managed a harsh laugh.
 
“We'll have plenty of time to die later, if we don't get our damn bodies unstuck,” she told him, and he frowned at her, “Hey, I certainly can't fight if I don't move, Malik.” Malik found she had a good point. None of them were psychic, and even Aeon's power required a certain level of movement to cast it. He hung his head. This was just too damn hard.
 
“This day sucks,” he repeated, this time his tone holding definite defeat. Sith said nothing more, but found she agreed with him. The day couldn't get much worse, and death seemed like a welcome relief, if she was honest with herself. But that'd mean she'd be giving up. Sith Winchester didn't even understand the basics of giving up. She shook her head in defiance, though the movement was extremely taxing and left her neck sore.
 
“I swear, when he comes up here…” Sith began, but didn't finish. Ryou saw a profound change in expression, and wondered what it was she saw, or felt. She tried turning her head again, this time not for the stairs, but for the drop behind them, off of the tower. Yugi followed her gaze, also sensing something was wrong. But he saw nothing.
 
“What is it?” he asked her gently, and at first, Sith wasn't sure. But her face grew grim again.
 
“Sith?” Aeon called, as Ryou asked, “Is it the messenger?”
 
“It's about fucking time!” Malik exclaimed, and then shut his mouth when he saw that Sith looked ready to punch him. He knew he'd be flying right off the building if she could. But her annoyance passed in an instant, and she turned, stiffly, back to the edge.
 
“It's something,” she said unhelpfully, and Ryou knew she was being vague. For minutes, they said nothing and simply waited. And they were rewarded when the sound of heavy boots began storming the steps. But, it wasn't just one pair; the echo was too much, and soon Malik could see many, many robed figures pouring up the stairs, some running, some even gliding. But they were all heading right for the top. Now he understood Matt's words. His face blanched.
 
“Oh goody. There's a bunch of them, too,” he said to Sith. Yugi, who was second closest, squinted his eyes, trying to pick out the biggest target. He'd been on lookout before, and understood Sith's way of fighting. She'd want to decimate the messenger first and leave the small fry for them to deal with. But with so many targets, all of varying heights, he had no idea what to even look for.
 
“Which one's the messenger!?” Yugi cried in frustration, unable to even begin helping Sith out. Sith didn't appear to care, however. Something else caught her attention. And her eyes widened. She turned frantically to Yugi, to Ryou, damn it, to anyone who could listen to her.
 
Break free!” she yelled at them, but that was far easier said than done. They were still frozen in place, and not one of them had immunity to magic. They had no time, either, for as soon as Sith turned, a figure landed almost silently behind her. Nearing six feet in height, and wearing the clothing of old English nobility, Ryou had a distinct impression that they had just met who they'd come to kill. He shivered accordingly.
 
“I won't be allowing that one,” said a calm voice, and Sith thrashed about to turn properly. She ended up hurting herself. But she saw him. With robes that glittered and seemed to shift through the entire color spectrum, and with eyes as dark as the abyss itself, she saw the messenger of Kratz. And she was rightly terrified. He looked down at her, and gave an interested smile.
 
“Sith Winchester, how very pleasant to see you again,” he said calmly, and lifted her hand to kiss it. Sith felt appropriately ill with the move. He continued, “I see you've managed to take Shalidor's Coffer. Unfortunately, Kratz is none too pleased.”
 
“You act as if that should concern me,” Sith spat angrily, eyes narrowing under her lenses, “Now let me go if you wish to live!”
 
“Wish to… oho! You're threatening me?” the man asked, eyes blazing suddenly, “You dare to threaten the messenger of Kratz!?” He lifted his hand and set Sith whirling with a strike that threw her out of the spell and slamming into the banister. Ryou heard a horrifying crack, and saw Sith was bleeding from her neck, forming a sickening blue pool around her. The messenger walked toward her, “Only one has done such a ridiculous effort! Only Falnika would dare it!”
 
“Well… I… am not… Falnika…” Sith growled, and drew Zealacht. She wasn't sure if she could use it, but she couldn't possibly get a spell powerful enough to be ready in time. The messenger raised his hand again to strike her, and possibly send her to her death ninety stories below.
 
March of Time!” Aeon screamed, and fired his clock-blade. A glowing ray of blue light shot out from it and slammed straight into the messenger, knocking him into the wall, and giving Sith enough time to stand. Subsequently, she sent the closest three cultists over the edge, and threw the fourth off the rooftop with a powerful kick. Aeon did likewise, and the two smiled at each other, knowing they could probably take the messenger down now.
 
“Nice shot,” Sith commented, and Aeon blushed just a bit, knowing that in any normal fight, his victim would have died instantly. But he also knew Sith would want a few good cracks at the man herself. He was more than happy to oblige; the messenger was already recovering.
 
“Well, now, time-keeper, I'm amazed by your strength. Seems that you are not yet expired, as old as you might be!” the messenger remarked, and for once, Aeon seemed pretty damn insulted by that. It only worsened when the messenger said, “How old, now? Nearly as old as the Esper there, isn't it?”
 
“Shut it!” Sith demanded as Matt asked, “Aeon's as old as you!?”
 
“A few years older,” Aeon admitted stiffly, but then he simply grinned, “But young enough to still fight!” He drew his blade and dove for the messenger, the two colliding with another crash. Ryou looked toward Sith, and nearly laughed. She looked completely bewildered at Aeon's sudden burst of outrage, and seemed happy, if not then a little worried, to let the man take his rage out on her opponent.
 
But suddenly, Aeon had no advantage. He was kicked hard, skidding and sprawling on his stomach as he slammed into the ground. Sith stared at him for a moment, and then looked at the messenger. And she saw why; Aeon no longer had the coffer on him. And she knew that her dear friend was in serious trouble. The messenger would never tolerate such an attack from a keeper of time, and Aeon wasn't strong enough to survive two doses of any spell. She knew that as powerful as Aeon was, his immunity to magic was for pure shit. She lunged this time, Zealacht out and waiting to strike just as the messenger began his chant.
 
No!” she yelled, and aimed Zealacht. But as suddenly as Aeon went flying, the messenger was gone, and Sith dove into the ground. She scrambled up, and then screamed. The messenger returned. And he was holding Aeon up by the neck, nearly choking the man. Sith growled, holding Zealacht behind her. One move, and her closest friend would be no more.
 
“Let him go,” she demanded, and he simply scoffed.
 
“Time-keepers are nothing more than a nuisance to Kratz. I would like to be rid of him,” he replied, and shook Aeon, “Such a frail thing. So powerful, but with a build as delicate as any human's. One drop, and he'll be gone forever. Erased from time.” Sith's control was popped instantly, and her eyes went red.
 
“Do it and I swear on my father's grave that I'll send you to the farthest reaches!” Sith screamed, “Let Aeon go! I am your enemy!”
 
“Any consort to the great Sith Winchester is an enemy of mine,” the messenger said, and Ryou's mouth dropped. This meant that both he and Mello would be killed next, should Sith die. But Sith wasn't about to die. Sith would never die, Ryou thought.
 
“Then you leave me no choice,” Sith said calmly, and then dashed forward before he could respond. Ryou watched, as did the others, as Sith slashed three times in quick succession, drawing a very clean S on the man's arm. Aeon dropped to the ground, and the messenger was sent screaming as the wound erupted into flames. Sith followed that with a spin that staggered the man, dizzying him as she grabbed Aeon and leapt away, barely escaping his countering fireball. It singed the end of her coat, but caused no damage whatsoever.
 
“How dare you denounce Kratz, you beast!” the messenger screamed, and threw lightning bolts, three of them, Sith's way. But Sith was far faster, and dodged, using the last one as a platform, and went straight at the messenger again. He disappeared, but she wasn't aiming to hit him; she was giving Aeon an opening. And he took it.
 
Ryou had never seen Aeon fight without magic before, and at first, wasn't sure the man could accomplish it. But Aeon, as old as Sith and as experienced ten times that, created an attack that Ryou knew he'd never see again. Not from anyone but Aeon himself. The man threw his clock-blade into the air, and with a snap of his fingers, the hands on the clock stretched outward, and then sliced the air three times, making `whooosh' sounds as the blades passed everyone's heads. It was, needless to say, horrifying. The clock hands collided three times with the messenger, spraying a rain of black blood all around them. Finally, it ended and the man dropped to the floor.
 
“Good lord!” Ryou cried, as Matt said, “Shit, Aeon! Did you get him!?”
 
“With an attack like that, I can't see how he didn't,” Malik said truthfully, but Sith knew far better that they hadn't. She reached for her sword, but Aeon stopped her, shaking his head.
 
“He will kill you, my dear,” Aeon told her, and Sith obeyed, waiting patiently. Surely enough, the messenger stood straight, glaring at both Esper and temporal servant. They had done numerous injuries to his body, but in the end, he would claim both of their souls and send them directly to his master. He smiled wickedly; now he would not hold back. Sith saw this clearly, and against Aeon's wish, dove forward. Her sword collided with a sickening crash. But she was thrown back, even though the hit connected solidly.
 
“Sith!!” Ryou screamed, as she was sent right over the edge, “Damn it, what happened!?”
 
“Guys…” Yugi warned, and everyone looked at the messenger. He was glowing now, his eyes flashing brilliant colors every second. Aeon's face blanched, and he clutched his clock-blade accordingly, his brows creased. Ryou sensed his frantic worry over Sith, but both knew there was no helping her. Her wings would have to take care of her.
 
“He's changing his weakness,” Aeon growled furiously, “He is entirely immune to weapons, hence Sith…” He did not finish, and Ryou understood with a sickening sadness that Aeon couldn't bring himself to say `Sith being killed.' For, unless she could fly, that was surely the woman's fate. He saw Aeon shake visibly.
 
“Don't give up yet,” Malik said, and the time-keeper looked back, “Maybe we don't know her like you, but Sith's a tough one. She'll be fine. Just focus on beating the shit out of this guy in the meantime.” Aeon would've laughed, but his fear was warranted. Sith was hardly recovered; she could not have flown far, even if she had flown at all.
 
“Oh, yes, Sith Winchester will be wonderfully lively after a six-hundred foot drop,” the messenger teased, however, turning Malik's encouragement against Aeon, “I'm quite sure she'll love to see you again, as an animated corpse!” Aeon's eyes widened, and terror stretched across him. He could not possibly imagine such horrors being wreaked upon Sith! His Sith! He had promised to protect her, had watched her for so long! No, he could never allow such a shame, such disrespect to come to her. Ryou saw the fires mounting in the man's normally vacant, golden eyes. Aeon was outraged.
 
NEVER!” Aeon yelled, and the tower rocked from his anger. Ryou, Malik, and Matt staggered and fell; so did several of the fanatics around them. Yugi, however, was too entranced by the meteors that were now rocketing toward them all. And all of them, all five raging, roaring, flaring ballistics of death, slammed into the messenger.
 
The inferno was amazing, and illuminated the entire night sky for what felt like hours. All five meteors had hit the messenger, had set him aflame, had sent him screaming to his death. He was burning, still alive, and they knew he wouldn't make it, simply by the smell alone. The smell of burning cloth, of burning hair, of burning flesh stung the air. The smell of death was strong, and amidst all of it was Aeon, who watched silently, emotionlessly as the man before him burned into nothing but a pile of cinders, as everything around him burned, and then slowly dissipated. As quickly as it happened, it was soon gone, and the remains of the messenger was scattered in the ensuing wind.
 
No one said anything. No one knew what to say. The messenger was gone, but so was Sith yet again, and this time, they did not know if she had escaped. She was badly injured, still hadn't recovered from her previous injuries, and was growing more and more fatigued with every moment. And that left them with a sickening pit in each of their hearts, for they knew that if Sith were to die, their worlds would be next. And the legacy of that powerful Esper would be lost, warped into a dangerous tool for Rath and her minions to wield. But for all of their sadness, Aeon was the worst off, for he had known Sith the longest. He had loved her the longest, as well.
 
“Aeon…” Ryou called softly, truly wishing the man well. Aeon did not turn, simply stared down the edge, toward the rocky cliffs.
 
“How could I let her die?” Aeon asked, though it was to no one, and he expected no answer, “My dearest Sith… how could I?” Ryou could see him shivering, and cautiously approached him. Whether he even noticed or not, however, Ryou couldn't say. But he did see the older man's eyes were watering as he looked far below, where the grass stirred in the wind.
 
“It… it wasn't your fault,” Ryou said gently, “You didn't…”
 
“I didn't properly think,” Aeon finished, and Ryou frowned, “I should have frozen time, instead of using a ray of physical energy. Then Sith… she wouldn't have attacked. She wouldn't have been thrown off.” Ryou didn't think Aeon was being particularly fair. And he knew Sith wouldn't have thought so, either. What she did, she knew perfectly well, and yet she didn't let those consequences stop her. Ryou was sure she'd have repeated the action a thousand times more if it meant keeping her loyalty. Unfortunately, from Aeon's view, he couldn't see it that way. He likely never would.
 
“She would have done anything if she thought we were in trouble,” Ryou reminded him, and Aeon looked over, “Don't forget who she is, or was, Aeon. Sith is Sith, and she's loyal to all of us. Just like we're loyal to her.”
 
“Yeah!” Malik added, and both Ryou and Aeon turned to regard him curiously, “Hey, come on. Woman's batshit-crazy, but she has her points. She'd have likely fallen off the cliff and then set the building on fire as she fell if she thought for a second it'd save us.” Ryou snorted, shaking his head. At that moment, that wasn't the best thought to leave Aeon with, but the time-keeper seemed to get the point. Almost. He smiled wistfully, looking back over the edge.
 
“Perhaps you are right,” he said quietly, but Ryou had a feeling he didn't mean that. He had seen the force with which Sith was thrown; no mortal, Esper included, could have survived such a plunge. Not without wings, and Sith's were not well-formed anymore. Aeon's sadness was well-placed. Or so, they all assumed. Then they both heard a chuckle. A very familiar one, at that.
 
“Perhaps?” came a voice, and Aeon's eyes widened, “I'd almost say I agreed with that roughly accurate description.”
 
“Sith!?” Ryou called, and surely enough, the woman bounced right onto the ledge, landing on the rail. She looked as confident as ever, and her grin told him she had purposely kept out of the fight. Most probably to let Aeon handle it. Aeon himself couldn't contain his joy; he tackled Sith, both of them crashing onto the stone. Tears fell from his eyes, staining his monocle, and Sith's shoulder.
 
“My god, Sith!” he said, hugging her tightly, “But… but I had seen you, my dear. You had been thrown off the cliff…”
 
“And I bounced right back, hiding underneath,” she finished cryptically, and he stared for a long, long moment, “I had no chance with him. My magic is sapped, and I haven't the strength for even a basic spell. But you did, Aeon.” That answer crashed around him, and now Aeon blushed in embarrassment. Sith had just used him, and he had no qualms in letting her. He hummed, not sure if he should approve or not.
 
“And so you chose to use me to exact revenge on Kratz,” he concluded accurately, and Sith nodded, “How many enemies must you make, my dear?”
 
“Who cares?” Malik asked, and Sith turned to him curiously, her brow arched, “Look, Sith, I'm glad you're alive, but we still have problems, don't we? Isn't Falnika still here?” Sith chuckled, but Ryou wasn't thrilled that Malik was so unsympathetic. Sith had just survived a dangerous fall, though in her words, she wasn't actually in any danger. It didn't lessen the fact that Malik was being an ass.
 
“Shouldn't we give her some time?” Ryou asked flatly, and Malik stared, “How would you feel if you fell off a building? Not to mention being thrown around, getting shot, and…”
 
“Enough,” Sith cut in, silencing Ryou's point, “Malik is correct. Falnika is very much at large, and she must have sensed Aeon's power. As much pain as I'm in, there is no rest for the likes of us.” Ryou's frown deepened. He understood what Sith was saying, but this was just too dangerous. They may have had an artifact of power, but Sith couldn't even use it. He shook his head.
 
“You're going to get yourself killed…” he grumbled irritably. Matt snorted as he picked up one of the now-unconscious cultists and rid him of a jeweled knife. Matt's goggles glinted as he considered it.
 
“Sith? Nah, she's survived worse than this,” the red-head said confidently, grinning, “Ever been in a mafia before? It makes this look like kiddy cake.” Ryou didn't appreciate Matt's lack of concern, but he didn't press the point. Sith was an Esper, after all. She'd be fine, so long as she could wield Zealacht. But damn it all, he was worried!
 
“So then, now what?” he asked, a bit too pointed, even for his liking, “I mean, we have the coffer. Does this mean we should go and kill Falnika?” Sith and Aeon exchanged glances. Ryou knew instantly from their expressions that they were changing their plans. Any hope he had was gone; worry replaced it.
 
“Aeon and I are going alone,” she said firmly, and Malik's mouth dropped, “Mello needs us, and as grateful as I am for the three of you, you will do absolutely nothing in this battle, and she's made it clear that we are her targets.” Ryou understood Sith's logic, but Malik wasn't going to accept it so easily. To him, they had been by Sith's side for years now. To turn them away was actually quite cruel. He scowled at the older woman.
 
“Yeah, we are her targets, Sith, so let us help!” he exclaimed hotly, but Sith shook her head. Aeon was already waiting for her by the railing, and Ryou knew then that convincing her to do otherwise would be impossible. That was why he wasn't trying.
 
“If I were to blindly let you die, then what would I say to the others?” she asked gently, and Malik fell silent, “Malik, you are young and you do not understand the true machinations of this war. Beforehand, I had no choice but to allow you to aid me, but now things are different. Mello, Aeon, and I are together and we can finally destroy what we promised to eradicate. If you were to come, you would only hinder us. Please… understand!” Malik eyed her cautiously, and then turned away, crossing his arms. He'd let her go, of course. But there was no reason to make it easy.
 
“If you die, I'm going to kick your gravestone, Sith,” he said, which Ryou guessed was his way of saying `good luck.' Sith just snorted and gave a small smile, but she offered no words of farewell before she was gone. Yugi and Ryou watched; she had jumped and her wings extended, with Aeon's help. And soon, they had flown far to the horizon, in the direction of Kefka's tower. They weren't coming back.
 
Ryou wasn't sure how long had passed as the four of them stood on the roof, simply watching where Sith and Aeon had disappeared. It could have been minutes, or it could have easily been hours. It made so little difference when he thought about it. In those few short minutes, Sith could have been shot, or attacked, and sent plummeting to her untimely death, and not a single one of them would know. Yet he knew that hadn't occurred; he'd have felt it in his heart if she had been slain. Finally, he forced his body to move. Staying there wouldn't help any of them. So, he headed for the stairs.
 
He didn't know where he'd be leading them, but Ryou had to go somewhere. His first instinct was to head to the airship, and follow Sith despite her claim not to. But then, as he walked down the steps, he forced himself to think about that. If what Sith said was true, then perhaps he really would be getting in her way. After all, what she said certainly wasn't untrue; he may have defeated two Mystics already, but one had begged him to kill her, and the other was killed primarily due to Sith. Falnika, he understood, would be quite different. There would be no distraction, and no mercy. If he failed to act, he would die, and worst off was the knowledge that Sith might not save him. Was this right?
 
“Malik, I need your opinion,” he said gravely, stopping as Malik came to his side, and looked up at the younger boy, “Should we follow Sith or just head home?” Malik stopped, and stared at him for a long moment. That answer was obvious: they were going to go and help Sith out. Why that was even a question, Malik didn't understand.
 
“I say we go out there and drag Sith's ass back home, even if it means she's kicking and screaming the entire way,” Malik replied, and Ryou saw he was actually grinning. He must've actually thought they could do that, to be grinning like an idiot that way. Yugi agreed, too, for he invariably looked up and smiled brightly at the two as they started walking down the steps, Matt already passing them and seemingly ignoring them.
 
“Not like we haven't done it before, right?” he asked, and at that, Malik laughed hysterically. That part was also true. Many a time did the three of them have to go and get Sith just as she was about to get herself into some serious trouble. Even Ryou had to laugh a little. The mere thought that they'd actually get her to leave this world was amusing enough. The assumption that he'd even agree was far funnier.
 
“If you say so…” he said in false warning, and then laughed, shaking his head, “I can just see her scolding us for following her.”
 
“Well, what else were we going to do? Turn tail and leave?” Malik pointed out, and in all truth, Ryou wasn't so sure Matt wasn't going to try that. At least to get the three of them out first. He didn't answer; he looked down to where the red-head was waiting, some few stories below. Matt wasn't looking up at them, but Ryou knew he was waiting, and he wasn't too happy to have to wait, either.
 
An hour passed them by uneventfully until they finally came toward the twentieth floor. The monsters from the tower either fled or were killed by Aeon's spell, and Ryou did not offer a complaint. To him, that was good news. It meant he could think ahead a few steps without interruption, and decide how to actually bring Sith back. But the offshoot was that everyone had grown uncomfortably silent. Yugi and Malik were whispering in back, probably going over the same things Ryou was, but Matt said absolutely nothing, even as Ryou walked alongside him. And that felt more than a little rude. Then again, Matt had been left behind, and considering who he'd been in Sith's life, that probably hurt a little bit. Not to mention that he was also Mello's best friend.
 
They reached the front entrance of the tower a while later, and Ryou was not surprised to see that the cultists, the mindless ones, were nowhere in sight. He hoped they had broken free and ran, or else they'd have been killed by Sith and Aeon. As it stood, though, there were no bodies, so he assumed they left. Matt didn't so much as notice; he simply took a look, shrugged, and walked on down the beaten path. The ship wasn't far, though seeing it worried Ryou. He partly wished Sith had taken it, for he remembered that her wings weren't exactly flight-worthy.
 
They climbed up quietly, and immediately, Matt went to the wheel. Malik and Yugi stared at Ryou, wanting him to protest, but Ryou didn't have the inclination. Matt was seething, and he wanted the older man as calm as humanly possible before Matt actually blew everything apart. But fate didn't want the same thing, for as soon as Matt started the ship, something didn't sound right. The ship rumbled, but it did not fully start. Matt stopped, and then tried again, but it resulted in the same thing. Next he tried the back-up, yet again, the ship didn't move. Angrily, he banged on the wheel. It creaked in protest; Ryou was sure he'd broken it.
 
“What's going on?” Yugi asked him, and Matt took a puff on his cigarette before answering. Then he turned to regard the smaller boy.
 
“Ship's damaged,” he said simply, and there was a level of apathy to his tone Ryou didn't like, “I don't know who flew this, but the landing gear's jammed. I can't get the damn thing to start.” Ryou shivered. Sith had been the one driving the ship, and by her own account, she had said she'd flown one before. How could she not think to check the ship beforehand? Then he remembered that Hidon was prepared to kill her at the time. She didn't have the time to check anything.
 
“Will the ship be all right?” Ryou asked him, and Matt's eyes glinted. His grin seemed to return, though why that was, Ryou could only begin to guess. He didn't like that grin at all.
 
“We'll be dandy. I can try jumping the engine and forcing the ship up,” the red-head told him, and then laughed, “Might cause a crash, though.” Ryou didn't find that funny at all, but Matt didn't give him a chance to object. The man started the ship again, and this time, he did something Ryou didn't expect him to do. He used magic! Ryou's mouth dropped when he heard a familiar `Blitzdonier!' from Matt. Only Sith should've been able to do that! Yet, Matt had.
 
“He can use magic!?” Malik screamed, and then fell when the ship rumbled, and then began to lift out of the cliffs. Matt said nothing, and turned the wheel to angle the ship. It climbed high and fast, and soon they were over the mountains, and sailing toward the south, where Sith had gone. But then, abruptly, the ship jerked. Matt's skin paled, and a long stream of curses erupted as he realized his magic wasn't powerful enough for what he had hoped to do. The ship was falling seconds later, and then it crashed.
 
Miraculously, everyone survived. Ryou didn't know why, but they survived the crash with only minor injuries. The ship, however, surely hadn't. The front half had been slammed into the ground, and the engine was exposed, smoldering in the dark sky. Sparks jumped all around the front end, and the smell of burning rubber was strong. And the back end suffered as well; the cabin was crushed, and glass and splintered wood littered the deck. As well as the destroyed remains of the interior as well. It was truly a sight worth seeing, if only it hadn't happened to Ryou. He could only stare, blinking slowly and looking back at Matt. For once, he was willing to blame this entirely on someone else. Matt was the one who suggested such a stupid idea, anyway.
 
“Good going, Captain Idiot,” Malik grumbled unhappily, pulling himself out from a pile of broken wood, “I'm surprised we're not dead, what with your stupid plans.” Matt stood up, and spat out some dirt he'd managed to ingest. Then he straightened his goggles. They'd been cracked a bit from the crash.
 
“I don't see you doing anything useful yet,” he retorted, and grinned again, “Besides, it's just a minor setback.”
 
“A… a setback!?” Yugi repeated, and he sounded even more flustered than Malik, “We're stranded with a BURNING SHIP! Not to mention Sith's not even here to help us! We're more than set back. We're screwed!” Ryou wanted to laugh. It was so rare for Yugi to be this angry, but clearly this hit him very hard. At least they hadn't landed in the ocean. They just landed near it. That was obviously good enough for Matt, who still felt his plan was a success.
 
“At least we're not in the damned tower,” Matt reminded him confidently, and Ryou didn't try to stop Yugi when he went to tackle the man over. Matt merely pushed him off, and his grin only widened as he said, “Relax. I know where we need to go.” That convinced absolutely no one.
 
“Yeah, we heard that shit before,” Malik told him, “Last time you said that, it led to this in the first place.” Ryou had to admit, that was a pretty accurate accusation. It deflated Matt's ego just a little bit, and without a word, he beckoned them to follow him. Malik was still wary of the fact that he'd crashed their ship, but they followed him nonetheless. After all, he did seem to understand Sith a bit more than any of them. Surely, he understood how she'd get to the tower, or inside it. And surely, he understood even more that if he did somehow screw them over, they'd all kill him and dump him into the ocean.
 
Matt didn't want to admit he couldn't swim. So, he told himself he'd just have to find Sith. Doing it was relatively easy; it only took twenty years to find her the first time. For reasons only he knew, he had that kind of time. Finding Sith would be the easy part. It'd be keeping her safe that'd be tricky. But Matt was used to tricks. He led them with a grin, toward the south. Toward the continent where Vector once stood, where the source of the dark shrouds were gathering. Toward Sith.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
With Kratz's messenger successfully killed, Sith and Aeon depart to find Mello and stop Falnika from unleashing another round of the Light. Not liking to be left behind, Ryou and Matt, along with their friends, decide to follow her path, only to find that their ship no longer works. When Matt manages to destroy it, they now need to head to the tower on foot. With no way to fly, how will they enter the final dungeon? Can they find Sith in time? Or has she already gone inside with Aeon? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!