Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Harbinger of Trouble ❯ "Who the hell ARE you people!?" ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh, or anyone else referenced here. Kazuki Takahashi owns Yu-Gi-Oh, and I don't remember who owns anyone else.
 
It'd been some time since Ryou left to find her bag, and Sami laid in his bed, wondering where he could've been. Well, she would've been wondering, if she hadn't been asleep. But, whatever she was dreaming about, it was a nightmare of some sort. Her ears twitched in irritation, and her skin had paled, but she couldn't wake herself up. She was just too dog tired. Besides, she had had this nightmare many times before, but normally, with no reference as to why. It was just a dream.
 
The nightmare was always the same thing, even if it was in a different setting. She now stood in a cold laboratory, clothed in a blue and gold overcoat over a dark pink shirt, with mythril shin-guards over her black pants. A sword was in her hand, its blade slick with black blood. All around her, chaos ensued. But she wasn't alone. No, many people were with her, some that she knew, others that she didn't, and many that she couldn't name, but felt she should've known. They all stood near her, behind her, all looking in the same direction, where a lone door stood. Behind them, many tubes of glass had been shattered, water running all along the floor, soaking their shoes. Further behind, a group of Mystics, a furious, hateful group of the damned creatures, were pursuing them. So, why were they not running?
 
“They're coming,” said a blonde man with a scar covering half of his face, gun in hand. The red haze that enveloped the room gave his leather coat a glossy, red shine as he added, “We can't keep them out. Sith, what on earth do we do?” Sami blinked. As in so many dreams before this, whoever this man was, he had called her that. And, she could not know why. But, he was asking her for help. She looked to the wall he was looking to. She could sense the many beings behind there, waiting to come and kill them.
 
“We must fight,” she replied. But another man, a boy really, with spiky black hair held with a baseball cap just shook his head, staring up at her with fear.
 
“Fight!? Are you crazy!?” he asked her, and she winced at how young he sounded, “We can't fight them, Sith! There are too many! Not even my pokemon could take them on! We have to run!”
 
“Aye, we canno' run, lad,” came the voice of a burly sailor from behind them. He marched up, his red hair bobbing underneath a captain's cap as his blue coat tried its best to cover a large, bare chest, “They be taking us by the hundreds if we run away now, me boy.” Sami's lips thinned. She turned back to the single door. That was their way out. But it couldn't possibly fit them all. Some of them would have to stay. And that would be a bitch to discuss. No one wanted to stay to fight off the angry horde. The blonde man tapped her arm. There was something about him she recognized, but she couldn't place who he was. That saddened her. She wanted to know who half these people were.
 
“Sith, you have to make a decision,” he told her grimly, “That wall's going to break, babe. When it does, we all die.” Sami didn't like that one bit. But she had known this for some time. It was the same as in the volcano, the forest, the bunker, and the castle of gold. They would come to destroy them and kill them all for things she couldn't know of. She had to do something. But what it was, she just didn't know.
 
“Then some of us need to stay and make sure the rest of us escape,” she told them all, the army she assembled all closing in to listen, “We've no time! We must decide what to…” She didn't finish. They all heard the wall crack, threatening to blow apart and reveal the many Mystics who came to claim them forever. The blonde man aimed his gun and shot three times at the wall. It did nothing but make a thunderous roar as the bullet screamed through the air. Many people ducked, but some didn't even flinch. Finally, one man stood, turned to Sami, and grinned. She didn't know who this man was, but something again seemed familiar, like the blonde man she was with.
 
“It's time now, lady Sith,” he said, his red cloak swirling as he brandished two daggers in his hands. He grinned, as though this was what he lived to do. To fight and to die. Sami couldn't help but think he was a complete idiot. Not even she was grinning, and this was her dream. She wanted to stop him, to tell them she would decide, but he was powerful enough. Many people shot up to join him. One person, with incredibly spiky blonde hair and a sword that was impossibly large, stood beside the white-haired man who just spoke.
 
“I'm going to fight them off and kick their ass,” he stated grimly, gripping his sword, “They destroyed my world. They even controlled the man who killed my girlfriend. I won't let a single of those bastards live for it!” The white-haired man patted him on the back. Sami looked, and saw a young girl approach, who was a few years younger than she. She was dressed in a modified version of a Japanese school outfit, with a tiara on her head, and long red boots with a crescent moon on them. In her hand was a scepter with the same crescent shape at the top.
 
“In the name of the moon, I too shall fight them!” she exclaimed, “They've done too much damage to Oblivion to be forgiven!” Sami couldn't believe the team that was forming. Another woman, farther behind, came walking up. She was dressed in a long maid's gown, her brown hair fashioned in a tight bun. Sami couldn't see just what she hoped to accomplish, but she seemed to want to fight as well.
 
“I will also join you three,” she replied, “My world, too, has been destroyed from them.” It was almost ironic to see her there. She was barely a strip of a woman, very thin and very proper, but here she was, teaming up with a swordsman, a man from the middle east, a sailor scout, a sailor, and a gunman. It all just looked too comical. Obviously, the blonde man, the gunman, agreed with Sami, for he nearly laughed at the young woman.
 
“You!?” he asked, chuckling, “You are a maid. You think you're going to actually fight a group of insane Mystics!? That's just hysterical! Matt, you have to hear this!” Sami turned to see a young, red-haired man jogging up to the group, carrying what looked like a really oversized bomb. He could barely carry it in his arms. The maid gave the blonde man an indignant glare, dusting off the end of her white apron.
 
“Maid I am, but I do know how to defend myself,” she replied sternly, “Besides, I have my beloved husband, William…” She didn't get a chance to finish before the blonde man tugged Sami's arm and pointed to the back wall. From there, she couldn't see what was wrong, but something was bothering him.
 
“They're coming,” he said again, his voice growing grim and hard, “Damn it, Matt, we're going to need a bigger bomb.” Sami just blinked. She didn't think a bomb would've really helped them at that point; the horde behind them was just so big. But anything would do to hold them off. The man in the red cloak turned to the wall, and gave that confident grin again. Damned idiot.
 
“Let them come, then,” he said proudly, his chest puffing out slightly, “We're ready.” Sami wanted to argue that they most certainly weren't ready, but more and more people seemed to be coming to join the small resistance that was forming. A tall man with a powdered wig, in a red tailcoat, marched over as he tapped his cane on the floor.
 
“I daresay we are ready for the good fight!” he declared, his British accent thick, his voice a bit too high to be natural, “Shall we commence the battle, old chums?” Sami turned from him back to the cloaked man who seemed to be running the show. He let down his hood to reveal a mess of white hair, along with his triumphant grin. He nodded.
 
“We shall,” he replied, and just as they all turned, the wall crumbled to pieces. Monsters, many horrible monsters made of the very void of Oblivion stood there, their Mystic masters beside them. Even from such a distance, Sami smelled the fetid air of Oblivion among them. All it took was one piercing roar for chaos to break loose among the ranks gathered around her. People screamed now, realizing the monsters they would be fighting. They pushed, they swarmed, they scattered as they made their way to the door. Sami was nearly devoured by the surge, but the blonde man grabbed her by the waist and pulled her to safety, aiming a shot into one of the monsters' mouths. Black blood splashed in an arc across the large room.
 
“What the hell is going on!?” Sami tried to call, but no one could hear her, save for the man who rescued her. In the faint light, his one good blue eye shown brightly, as though lit up by the need to fight these terrible beasts. Again, the feeling of recognition coursed through her.
 
“Relax,” he told her gently, his grip tightening as he shot another fatal blow to another monster, who crashed into the ground, “We're all going straight to hell, Sith. Just relax and enjoy the ride.” Sami blinked. She had no idea what he was even talking about, but she couldn't leave him. People pushed and screamed all around them as the Mystics and their monsters advanced. The man with the large sword leapt up to slice one in half, and the sailor scout shot a blast of energy from her scepter, but it did little to deter the ranks. Another roar, and this time, Sami saw a few people who pushed past her. She saw her adopted mother, who lovingly raised her from when she was a child.
 
“Mother!?” she called. The woman looked up weakly, and smiled before urging her two daughters along, the youngest of whom waved silently. She was thankful; her family would be all right. Or, at least, her mother would be. She didn't care much for her sisters. She struggled, wanting to help them, but the blonde man wouldn't let go. He had seen the woman as well.
 
“Sith, no. They'll be safe,” he told her, “You need to help us.”
 
“Let me go!” she demanded, “I must help them!” But the man shook his head again. She glared up at him, and instantly wished she hadn't. He looked depressed as he held onto her, his good eye watering just a little. Whatever was going on, it was painful for him to do this.
 
“Sith, we need you here,” he said sternly, “Please don't leave.” Sami's ears lowered. She recognized that voice, that very tone. But damn it, she couldn't place it! She knew him. She had been friends with him. So why had she forgotten him!? Behind them, an explosion was set off, and the red-haired man named Matt cursed as he rushed away, throwing another bomb at the marching army. But Sami didn't look to see. She wanted to know desperately who this man was.
 
“Please… tell me…” she began weakly, “Tell me who you are!” Another man screamed before them, and Sami recognized that voice, too. It was Ryou's. But why was he in her nightmare? She turned, as did the blonde man. Ryou stepped back, face slightly bloodied as he wielded a knife. He smiled when he saw Sami.
 
“I want to help you, too,” he said, before disappearing again to fight another monster. The blonde man grunted in disapproval, and Sami once again turned to him. But he wasn't looking at her. He was glaring at Ryou, for a reason Sami didn't know. She grabbed a lock of his hair.
 
“Tell me who you are!” she demanded again. He looked at her, and for a moment, she was sure he would start tearing up, but he didn't. He just smiled again. It was such a weak smile, and it showed that he rarely smiled at all. He patted one of her wings and let go of her.
 
“Come on, Sith. You're smarter than that,” he said, and gave her the thumbs up, “You'll stop them soon, babe.” Sami's eyes widened. She had recognized that voice, and now she knew who he was. He was a man she had fallen in love with so long ago, it just didn't seem possible. For she had never met him before, but she knew him so well. He smiled when he saw she caught it, and stepped back, disappearing into the turmoil. She gasped, and held out a hand.
 
“Stop!” she called, eyes watering, “Please! Stop! Wait!” But the man was gone. She screamed as she watched him get crushed by one of the monsters, and she finally woke up, screaming. She screamed so loudly, so terrified, that she shattered the window within the room. It was only then that she stopped and realized she wasn't dreaming any longer. No, that man wasn't there anymore. She breathed heavily, shivering as she did so. She looked around; she was still in Ryou's room. And Ryou himself was backed against the wall, watching her with terrified eyes. He had heard her screaming. And it had definitely terrified him.
 
“A-are you all right?” he asked, more than a hint of terror to his voice, “Sami… you were screaming. What happened?” Sami took a minute to get her head straight. That dream had happened so many times, but never had that man ever died. No, he had stayed with her, had always turned to her with a smile and asked `What about you, Sith?' And it had always calmed her down to hear it. Never had she woken up in such a state before. And, she wasn't entirely sure Ryou would believe what actually happened.
 
“…” Sami told Ryou of her dream regardless. He was kind enough to ask, and after what happened, she was respectful enough to tell him. He listened with wide eyes as she spoke of the people she saw, from the burly sailor to the blonde man she had only just recognized. She told him of the Mystics, of everything she repeated to Bakura, and of what she knew, and how she felt it corresponded to her dream. When she finished, she said, “We have to get out of here quickly. But, after that, if you wish, I'll take you straight to Domino City.” Ryou tilted his head. That was a kind gesture, but part of him wanted to know where she'd be going afterwards.
 
“I'd appreciate that very much,” he replied, and then frowned as he asked, “But what about you?” Sami hummed gently, looking over and out the window. Dawn was just beginning. She figured she had been asleep for quite some time.
 
“Me?” she repeated, and chuckled softly, “Most probably, I'll make my way to Duran following this. I'm meeting up with another Chesier, much like myself. From then on, I'm going to see what I can do about the Mystic here. Why? Did you wish to come?” Ryou laughed. That had occurred to him, just once. He wondered just how risky it was to go. Judging by the fact that Sami was skilled with a knife, and she had no qualms killing, despite her young appearance, it'd be suicide if he went unarmed. He shrugged.
 
“I don't see why not,” he said, and Sami just grinned, “Anyway, I found your bag. It was under a pile of bricks somewhere.” Sami just snorted. She hadn't actually expected to see the bag ever again, but she was glad he managed to find it. He handed it to her, and she placed it on the bed, working the strings to untying it.
 
“Now we can get you some damned weapons,” she mumbled, twitching as she tried the knot, “So, without me there to drag you along, did you find any other way of getting the hell away from here?” Ryou blinked. He hadn't gone looking, figuring she already had a few plans up her sleeves. The silence that ensued might as well have been filled with Ryou going `Uh…' the whole time. Sami guessed he hadn't, and said, “No worries. Just wondering if there was a way to leave before she woke up.” Ryou bit his lip. He didn't like the sound of what might happen if they didn't leave soon. Now seemed like a decent time to know what he was up against.
 
“Sami, what is a Mystic?” he asked her, “How can we beat them, and are there more than her?” Sami ripped open the bag, but continued to look up at Ryou as she did so. It was obvious she didn't want to answer, but she gave a short nod anyway. Her eyes hardened as she did so. Not a good sign, Ryou was sure.
 
“I can guarantee there are more,” she replied grimly, “How many, I don't know as of now, but there are at least four of them who're in charge. As to beating them… I'm not quite sure of that, either. There are magical weapons that should be able to destroy them, but where they could be hidden is something I can't say yet.” That was about as cryptic as cryptic could be. It didn't even answer any of his questions.
 
“Can't you be a bit more specific?” Ryou knew that might cost him an eye, literally, but he was getting tired of this. He wanted to trust her, but how was he to make sense of an answer like that? She had turned the bag slightly, but the angle still kept the contents from spilling. Now she looked back up at him, a flat look sketching across her face.
 
“No,” she said blandly, “Now stop questioning me or I'm leaving you here.” Ryou's eye twitched. He hated the thought of being left here, but he wanted to know what he had to expect. If there was going to be some sort of fight, he had to know! Why couldn't she just understand that!?
 
“Why can't you just tell me!?” he… questioned. This time, Sami threw her knife yet again, and it slammed into the wall. Faster than he'd expect from someone her size, she was out of the bed and pinning him against the wall angrily. He smelled the scent of roses and juniper as she moved, but the sheer outrage on her face negated any tranquility the scent could've given him.
 
“Because you are a stupid child and if you don't shut that insolent mouth of yours, I will silence you forever!” she hissed. Ryou just nodded, and she let go of him. Her rage faded relatively quickly as she leapt onto the bed and dumped the contents of the bag out. Ryou simply watched. He was in no mood to argue, especially if it'd get him killed. He just hoped whatever she found would quell her rage at that point.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
After having a nightmare where someone she once cared for died a brutal death, Sami now sees that getting Ryou out is the most important task at hand. With Ryou bringing her bag back, what can she find that will help them? And what will her new plan entail? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!