Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Time Master! ❯ Of Lovers and Wives ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh, or any of the references here. Takahashi owns Yu-Gi-Oh, and I can't remember who owns anyone else. That doesn't bode too well, does it?
 
For a city that had recently recovered from Rath's merciless onslaught, Ryou thought Sith had done pretty well in cleaning it up. Many of the buildings were new, having been rebuilt on the ruins of the old; some of them even reused the old foundations. Gardens had been started again, and the smell of fresh earth was evident as they walked down the cobbled pathway, and through a large street. Garbage and refuse had been cleared, and streets had been repaired. And, for only having three weeks to do all of this, the Espers had obviously worked insanely fast. The city looked alive. It looked full of its former vigor. It looked… deserted.
 
Despite the beauty Sith had restored to her kingdom, the fact that no one was around marred the splendor it had. Aeroglyph had the charm of being medieval and dark, but it only worked when there were people to dispel such an atmosphere. Alone, it was extremely nerve-racking. Even Mello looked adequately spooked as they wandered down the road. The only thing that cut through the darkness were the streetlamps; they provided soft, blue light that spilled over the walkway. Unlike the streetlamps in Ryou's world, these were made of large, blue orbs of crystal that sat on tall, marble pedestals. Like each one was a single masterpiece of art. Nesce itself seemed to be a work of art.
 
“Place has changed a bunch since I've been here, babe,” Mello said to Sith, glancing around, “There used to be a lot more foliage here. And not as many buildings.” Sith's lips pursed as she took in the sight of her own abandoned city. Aeroglyph had changed, no matter what she did to restore it. Surely, she still used crystal and ore as the foundation for her buildings, but not one of them looked like the old buildings from her father's rule anymore. She looked down as she thought on that.
 
“I… I'm different from my father,” she told him quietly, “And Rath decimated the land. I've done what I could for the gardens, and with so many Mystics living amongst us now, we needed more housing. I had to do something for everyone.” Mello snuck a glance at her and nodded. Ryou's brows creased. He caught the sadness that snagged Sith's tone. And part of him blamed Mello for it; part of him blamed Mello for most of Sith's sadness. He had, after all, haunted her for quite some time when Ryou first met her. Hell, Ryou hated him when he first met Sith.
 
“I think you're doing fine,” Ryou said to her kindly, “You haven't been in rule for millennia, Sith. Give yourself a break.”
 
“But with the merging of the Espers and Mystics, won't that cause some upheaval in Oblivion?” Bakura speculated, and Ryou actually stopped. Everyone did. That was a really good point. It'd been some time since Espers and Mystics lived in peace, and even longer since they were considered one race entirely. And Oblivion wasn't one to change pace for such a sudden thing, no matter how beneficial it was to any given world. Ryou remembered how it reacted when the first Mystics appeared in his world; Domino City had taken most of the brunt of that painfully. He shivered. The effects of this could be much, much worse. He risked a look to Sith. She had paled. Perhaps that was what this was about. Perhaps what they felt was something else dying off, and Bahamut happened to be there.
 
“…I'm not sure,” she finally said slowly, “I wouldn't think it could. Mystics and Espers are still considered two different races now. Over the years, our differences have only become more apparent. But still… if every Mystic in every world came here…” She didn't finish. Not only did she not want to think that, she knew it was impossible for all Mystics to come to Nesce. It just was. She shook her head and sighed. Ryou patted her back. This was a pretty confusing mess to be in, and he didn't blame Sith for not knowing exactly how it'd play out.
 
“Sith,” Ryou began, and she looked at him curiously, “You said a long time ago that there were six Mystic lords, right?” Sith nodded, raising her brow carefully. Ryou continued, “Well… we've defeated four of them, and Gilden's on your side. What if the last one is causing this?” Mello's frown grew deeper at the mention of another Mystic, and everyone else became acutely more on edge about that as well. But Sith shook her head immediately, crossing her arms as she looked at the castle that loomed above them. Whatever this was about, another Mystic certainly wasn't it. That much, she was sure of.
 
“He isn't,” she replied surely, “This isn't a Mystic. Nor has a Mystic harmed Bahamut. I don't want to believe Lerena was right… but I don't see how else something like this could happen.” She looked down again, and Ryou patted her back. This was bothering her. But the only way to find out what this was about was to get to the castle. He reminded Sith of this, and she nodded, moving forward once again. Already, the castle's large gates were in view as the street rolled downward in a gentle slop; beautiful mansions and inns dotted either side of the wide road, with those beautiful streetlamps giving off that soft, blue glow. Mello looked around approvingly. Bakura eyed the mansions hungrily, and Ryou could only guess he was thinking of stealing from each and every one before they left. He'd have to stop that, or Sith would do it her own way. And as much as Ryou loved her, he knew too well Bakura could end up with at least one sword poking through his back. He'd probably have daggers and bullets as well if Mello joined the fray.
 
“Sith, you've done amazingly well. I can't imagine how this world would prosper under your rule,” Yami said, as he looked at the manors as they went downward. Most of them were new; the ones that weren't had been miraculously spared in the past millennia. Sith just nodded, and Ryou saw a slight grin on her face. Obviously, hearing of her success from old friends lifted her spirit and got her attention away from Bahamut. At least for a while. Ryou felt that was best. The old dragon was the reason she had been chased around for three thousand years of her life. He was the reason Rath had amassed so much power. He was the reason Sith met Mello. Ryou glanced at Mello as he thought that. He wondered how much Mello still hated him, if at all. He seemed to accept that Sith was happy, finally, but seemed was a key word. They'd find out in the next few hours how he truly felt.
 
By the time they'd made it to the gates leading into the castle's vast courtyards, the sky was black. The clouds had become wisps in the cold air, and the storm seemed to have ceased. Ryou smelled an overwhelming amount of rose in the air; Rose must've been Aeroglyph's signature flower. Sith walked up to the large, wrought-iron gates. They were shut and locked. She closed her eyes and muttered a spell that Ryou couldn't understand, and the gates swung open. She stepped inside, walking on the cobbled path. Gardens of flowers greeted her on both sides, rustling in the wind as if they were alive. Ryou wasn't so sure they weren't, but he didn't ask. Sith led them around the court, as the path wound painstakingly through the gardens. She pointed out many of the flowers, for Ryou had never seen them before. He stopped at one white rose that had blue splotches on them.
 
“Sith, what are these?” he asked her. She turned, looking at him curiously as she slowly walked over. With her dress billowing, she looked just like a queen among her empire. She stopped at the rose, and something in her demeanor stiffened. Had she not liked these flowers? But how could that be so? She had them interspersed throughout the entire courtyard!
 
“Those are Eiratz roses,” she replied quietly, and bit her lip as she added, “They were a favorite of my mother's. And they're my favorite as well.” Ryou frowned softly. In a way, that was sad. The flowers made her so sad, but they were still her favorite. He patted her arm comfortingly as she bent down to pick one. Closer up, Ryou saw that the petals radiated the same blue as the splotches on them. No wonder the garden looked so vibrant in the darkness! Every flower did that.
 
“They smell nice,” Mello replied, and snorted, “Think Matt would want some?” Ryou almost laughed as he saw Sith's eyes narrow flatly. Whoever Matt was, clearly, she had some iffy memories of him. Remembering what Mello had said about the three of them, he could understand what they might consist of.
 
“I think Matt should be thrown off a damn cliff,” she mumbled, but surprisingly, Mello just grinned. Obviously, there'd been many conversations pointing to Sith wanting to murder Matt in various ways. Now Ryou wanted to meet him. Not even Bakura could get Sith to threaten him mortally. Matt must've been pretty creative to figure out how to push her buttons that far.
 
“Didn't you say that about all of us at some point?” Malik commented, and Sith gave him an incredulous stare, “Okay, more specifically, don't you say that about Bakura?” Sith just laughed. That part was true enough. She nodded just as they reached the front doors. They were large, looming high at nearly five times Sith's height. Ryou had to arch backwards a great deal just to see the glass above the doors.
 
Bakura is just as rude as Matt was. And Bakura doesn't know when to shut his mouth,” she replied. Then, she held her hand out and touched her palm to the door. Closing her eyes, she muttered under her breath, speaking so low that no one heard her. Only when Katt's ears twitch, did Ryou understand she was using magic. He frowned again. He'd miss the feeling of magic. There was a loud click, and then slowly, the large doors swung open to admit them all. Sith walked in, with Ryou and Mello at her sides. Katt was behind her with Malik, and everyone else took the rear, guarding the group as they did. Even though the place was abandoned, they couldn't be too careful. Especially if this was a ruse, which Ryou was beginning to suspect.
 
Their footsteps echoed loudly in the huge hallway, reverberating into the expansive foyer as they walked. Ryou could see the similarities between this kingdom, and the kingdom he had seen when they traveled to the past. The statues of Claude Winchester and Cydandilus Skylark were still there, in niches set inside the wall. The fountain of Fenrir was still in the center, in front of the two grand staircases. The carpets were still a deep crimson; the stairs were made of crystal and gold. The only thing that changed was that the shield on the top wall was no longer broken. It was whole, with a huge `W' set behind a sword, an axe, and a spear. It was the same insignia on Sith's pendant. Sith hummed thoughtfully as she approached the stairs. Ryou wondered if she even knew where to go, but before he could ask, she was already walking up the stairs.
 
“Nice place,” Bakura commented, and his tone made Sith stop for a moment, “Does this mean you're leaving us after this?” Sith blinked slowly. She had told Ryou she'd do what she could to stay, but what was she actually doing? She was taking her throne and ruling what was hers to begin with, which was the exact opposite of what she thought she would do. And she found she had come to enjoy it. But she couldn't rule if she lived with Ryou. And she loved Ryou, too. She looked down.
 
“I don't know,” she said quietly. Ryou's lips tightened. He never knew Sith to lie directly, but she just did. He stepped up toward her and took her arm.
 
“Yes you do,” he replied gently, “You want to stay here, Sith. And that's fine with me.” Sith's eyes widened as she looked up at Ryou. Had she heard right? Clearly, she must not have! He was smiling! Ryou Bakura never smiled at the thought of her departing from his world. But there he was, smiling warmly.
 
“Ryou,” she began, but he held up a hand to quiet her.
 
“I knew, Sith,” he said calmly, his tone growing more firm, “I've always known, but I didn't like the thought of it. And then… I thought about it. Sith, you weren't the selfish one. I was, because I never thought about anything but my world. And you kicked me when I needed to be reminded of that. When I came here, in the past, and saw what you could've had, and what Rath was doing with it… I knew. Sith, if you want to stay, I want you to stay here.” Sith nodded. She needed to live here, eventually. Aeroglyph needed her; Ryou would've been fine without her. Besides, as queen, she'd be able to come and go as needed. She smiled slightly, her hand clutching the pendant above her chest.
 
“You're sure, Ryou?” she asked him. He nodded.
 
“Yeah. Besides, I will die some day. You won't. At least, not for a long time,” he reminded her, grinning, “Aeroglyph needs you now. Besides, this would make me a king, wouldn't it?” At this, Sith just laughed. She laughed so hard, Ryou had to catch her before she fell over. Her laughter reverberated throughout the castle, filling its many halls and rooms with her voice until it rang in a melodic pitch that could've passed as a song of some form. She laughed until tears formed and fell, and then she slowly stopped laughing. Ryou had never heard her get so hysterical. She shook her head, and grinned slyly at him.
 
“I guess you've figured out that, if I do become queen, this changes nothing?” she asked, and said, “Yes. As husband, you would inherit my kingdom alongside me. And if it comes that I should die, you will be the… well, there is no title for a widowed man that I can recall, so in short, you would be the Dowager Prince.” Ryou nodded, unable to keep his smile down. He'd be inheriting the kingdom with Sith! But… only if Bahamut deemed it so. Clearly, Bahamut had a temper with Sith, and silently, Ryou didn't blame him. Sith was pretty crafty when she needed to be, and she did cause the Espers a lot of trouble. He noted that Bakura's expression went from saddened to greedy as Sith had spoken. And Mello's mouth dropped. Clearly, he didn't like this agreement.
 
“What about ME!?” he whined, “Sith, I was with you for nearly one YEAR! As your LOVER! Doesn't that count for ANYTHING!?” Ryou just snorted. Again, the eight months Mello felt constituted his entire life felt like nothing compared to the two to six years Ryou spent with Sith. Sith looked over at him, her grin still on her face. But this time she looked at him as though he were a child. Which, of course, he was acting like. But Ryou saw that look in Sith's eyes. She still cared about him. Somewhere, she did.
 
“Yes, it does,” she stated, and Ryou glared at him, “It says you obviously weren't smart enough to keep me in your life.” Then Ryou laughed. Mello's eye twitched and his mouth began moving quickly, trying to find anything to say to her. Nothing appeared to come up, and Ryou couldn't help but feel triumphant. As if to sense this, Sith turned to Ryou and said, “Don't get cocky. I almost rejected you, too, remember?” Ryou looked away and silently mumbled that she was right. Mello just grinned, and Ryou had a feeling he'd want to plant Sith's sword into the man very soon. He found he was right.
 
Aha! I knew it! I knew you couldn't have been too happy to have me out of your life!” Mello exclaimed, and then suddenly yelped as Ryou grabbed Sith's sword, sending it flying toward the man, who ducked. The sword felt much heavier than Zerrkandrr had, and Ryou watched it bounce heavily down the stairs. It nicked the crystal, and finally landed with a crash. Sith sighed, shaking her head. In a fight between her husband and her ex, she wasn't sure who she wanted to win; Ryou with his childish tendencies and inability to last in a fight, or Mello with his superiority complexion and inability to admit when he's wrong.
 
“That's because you're still alive,” Ryou retorted, and Mello stood up, eye twitching again. He was a hitman! He was a professional! He had worked for the damn MAFIA, and this retarded HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT was challenging him! It was laughable! In fact, he did laugh. Then he held up was looked like a piece of old parchment. Sith saw it was their marriage certificate. Her eyes hardened.
 
“Mihael Keehl, do not destroy that or I swear it'll be the last thing you do,” she growled. Mello, however, just grinned. He had no intention of destroying such a little slip of paper. He walked up to her and Ryou, handing it to them. Ryou took it, wondering just what Mello was proving. The paper looked fine.
 
“I don't need to, babe,” he told her, his grin widening, “See, your father was too dumb to actually make sure Matt and I were certified. And because I'm not, you were married illegally. Therefore, technically, it isn't valid.” The last part, he sang in triumph. Ryou's eyes nearly popped out of his head. That was why Mello accepted doing the wedding! The bastard! He did this on purpose! Ryou was absolutely sure that if Sith didn't react in a few seconds, he'd kill Mello for her. And she looked extremely ready to murder the blonde man. The only thing Ryou regretted was throwing her sword; she no longer had it to wield. But that didn't matter too much. She had already drawn a long dagger, screaming as she lunged at Mello. He just laughed, catching her as they both fell down the stairs. But it wasn't the happy reunion he'd been dreaming of. She was pissed.
 
I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!” she screamed, trying to aim for his one good eye, “YOU LITTLE WORM! YOU DISGUSTING SHIT!” Ryou felt Sith was going a little overboard, but she was saying roughly the same things he was thinking. And Mello took it in stride, patting her head gently. The expression on his face was relief as he smiled at her. She got up, her breathing rapid and labored. She pointed an accusing finger at him, “Why, Mello!? Why now!?
 
“Hey, babe, if you were so worried, you should've asked me,” he replied, getting up off the ground, “You knew I'd pull this. Besides, wasn't it you who told Matt that all was fair in love and war? This is between Ryou and I.” Sith's glare worsened. Mello was begging to be killed now. But Ryou understood why he'd do something so terrible. He wanted even ground. He understood why Mello constantly said `I hate you' to him. Their marriage, he'd done with a purpose. He wanted Ryou to know how he felt when faced with Sith's reality. And boy, did he do that.
 
“So you're going to rip up our marriage now?” Ryou asked, and was surprised to find he wasn't entirely angry. He felt that if Mello hadn't, Bahamut would have anyway. The only difference was, Mello was mortal. Bahamut was a dragon. And Bahamut wasn't stupid enough to grin and nod like Mello was. He was such a damn idiot.
 
“Yeah. Right here and now, I'm tearing it up,” Mello replied. Ryou let go of the certificate. It was fake; it had no true value anymore. It was almost ironic that that was what symbolized their marriage. Ryou nodded in agreement. Now was a good time. He looked at everyone assembled. No one said a word to stop them. Most were moving away to give them room. Sith was the only one completely opposed to what they were about to do. She grabbed Ryou's arm.
 
“Ryou, don't do this!” she cried, “Not now! Not with Bahamut dying! Please!” Ryou looked at her. Normally, he'd have done anything to her liking, but this was different. This was personal; this was between himself and what he could rightly call his most bitter rival. This was lasting for years now, ever since Mello had shown up in Sith's dreams, so long ago. And finally, Ryou knew his identity. He could destroy Mello for real. But did that have to involve killing the man? Technically, Mello wasn't doing anything wrong. Except that he lied to Sith, to Ryou, and to basically everyone else who'd attended the wedding. Ryou turned away from Sith.
 
“It's the perfect time,” he told her sternly, “It's perfect, Sith. If you do get crowned, we both may lose you either way. Let's see who deserves this. All of it.” Sith's eyes widened in terror. For once, this was a battle she couldn't participate in. She was the reason it was happening, through no fault of her own, save for maybe appealing to them both. Unwillingly, she had to add. Mello had been to initially shut Matt up; Ryou had been because Katt convinced her to. She wanted to glare at Katt, too, for if Katt hadn't told her to give up that memory, she wouldn't have been dealing with this. But there was nothing she could do. Uselessly, she walked to the wall and stood next to Bakura. He watched the two men look at each other, trying to decide just what they should do to battle. Then he glanced at Sith. For once in her life, she looked powerless. Her hands shook. Her chest heaved as she tried to breathe. She was white. Bakura felt bad for her. She'd never looked this shaken before. He found it amusing that the cause were two human men. She'd dealt with Mystics, magic, and mighty wars, but she was falling apart because of this.
 
“You going to be okay, my dear?” the thief asked her calmly, quietly. She looked at him helplessly, opening her mouth to speak. Then she must've thought better of it, for she closed it and said nothing. Only when Mello threw Ryou a sword, did she look to them. And her mouth dropped. As did Ryou's. The sword he held was Zerrkandr. And it had shattered completely when he destroyed Falnika, the last Mystic lord he'd faced. But it looked perfect now, and it felt so light in his hand. So easily he could've swung it, and taken off Mello's head. But he refrained.
 
“Where did you get this?” Ryou asked him, his voice quiet, “This… Zerrkandr shattered.” Mello smiled, but it wasn't smug. He was sad. He took out his Winchester, the beloved gun he'd used when he actually aided Ryou.
 
“I found the pieces in a tiny world not far from here,” he replied, looking at his gun as he spoke, “Falnika created a portal to an actual world when she warped you into that game, Ryou. And when you defeated her, that world crumbled into a tiny, little island. The pieces were scattered there. I came to see if you died. When I saw the sword, I knew you hadn't. So I fixed it. And now we can fight to the death.”
 
TO THE DEATH!?” Malik repeated, his voice booming down the hall, “Are you insane!? Is Sith worth two lives!?” Katt smacked his elbow, but he didn't back the question down. Ryou didn't feel anyone should do such a crazy thing, but he did know he'd die trying to protect her. At least, he'd die knowing he took Mello out with him. Mello turned to Malik, and there was something to his eyes that scared the younger man. He'd never seen a glint of absolute, utter insanity. At least, not to that degree. Mello surely felt this was the only way to settle things.
 
“Sith is worth my life,” he said darkly, “And if Ryou loves her that much, she should be worth his, too.” He turned back to Ryou, holding out his gun as he said, “You ready to die, kid?”
 
“Mello, stop this at once!” Sith cried, stepping out again, “Why!? Have you planned this all along!? You're mad! You've gone mad! What has Kira done to you?” Ryou didn't lift his sword. He found he didn't want to slaughter Mello. Not like this. It was clear the blonde was insane. Now he just felt sorry for Mello. But he wouldn't be the one to dissuade Mello's battle. He'd only enrage him further. Mello glanced behind at Sith, at her overcoat, at her dress. For a second, he trembled.
 
“Kira's done nothing personally,” he replied slowly, turning to look at her, “No one has. But that doesn't mean I give up. Sith, you know me. You knew, once you saw me, I'd come and stop Ryou, didn't you?” Ryou looked over at Sith. She said nothing. At least, not at first. She was hesitating. Then she took a step forward again.
 
“But why?” she asked calmly, her skin regaining some of its color, “Mello, did you plan this? All of this? The Mystics, the destruction, the marriage?” Mello shook his head. That, at least, was a comfort to know. He wasn't truly the evil bastard he seemed to be turning into.
 
“No, Sith. I planned none of it,” he replied, leaning on his Winchester, “The Mystics, I walked in on. Katsaiga was the only one who knew I was there. No one else did. The destruction? I don't have the time or the need to do that to Ryou, no matter how much I hate him. And the marriage? Well, I tried. I tried hard to find ways to stop that from happening, but in the end, I rolled with it. I ended up screwing that over, at least.” Ryou felt himself shaking in anger. He liked Mello at one time! And this was what happened. He'd been fooled. And he didn't like that at all. He picked up his sword and rushed over. Hearing it all was too much now. Hearing that Mello had manipulated them both for this one moment, one that had taken years for him to orchestrate, was too much. He drew back his sword, going to impale Mello to it, but Sith was faster. Her own sword deflected his, knocking him back by several feet. He looked up at her, hate coloring his eyes. Why in hell was she protecting Mello?
 
“Sith, let me kill him!” he demanded, getting up, “He's hurt me! He's hurt you! Why won't you let me kill him!?”
 
“Because that's not you, Ryou,” she said gently, and turned back to Mello, “What happened to you? What caused you to do this to us? Was it me?” Mello growled, looking away from her. His good eye fell on Katt, whose ears had stiffened back. Sith followed his gaze. “Why Katt?”
 
“I told him to leave you alone once we left his trash heap of a world,” Katt told her furiously, “We were done with that world, Sith. We had to return against our will. I didn't want him making your life hell.” Sith's sword dropped, crashing loudly against the pristine floor. Everyone looked at her. Her color had been lost again. Her glasses had fallen, revealing those judging, steel-jade eyes again. Her breathing had stiffened. She looked at Mello. He said nothing to her. His gaze was locked on Katt. Even Ryou found himself unable to believe Katt was responsible for this. Was that why she'd been so kind to Ryou?
 
“…you knew,” Sith breathed to her sister, and Ryou was worried she'd faint again, “You knew all along who this man was. You knew. And yet you never once told me. Why, Katt?” Ryou could only guess what was turning in Sith's head. Their past, her life, their parents, her memories, Katt had all of them and never once spoke about them. And she had never known until just one month past. She had forgiven Katt then. But now it came back to her. When Katt didn't answer, she screamed, “TELL ME WHY YOU LIED TO ME!
 
“Because I didn't want him doing this,” Katt replied, her hand waving to the entire castle, “Sith, he'd have made fixing this world impossible. I had to.”
 
IT WAS MY DECISION!” Sith screamed back, and fell to her knees, “It… it's my decision… and not one of you…” Ryou let Zerrkandr drop and ran to Sith's side. He placed his arms around her. She felt so cold, and she was shaking. He could hear Mello breathing heavily, angrily. But he ignored him. Sith needed Ryou right then. But Mello walked over anyway, kneeling to look at her. He went to lift her face with his hand, but Ryou growled and stopped him.
 
“Stay away from her,” he snarled, “You've destroyed her.”
 
“I've done nothing but open her eyes to the truth,” Mello retorted firmly, “Do you really think that the Espers would've allowed such a marriage anyway? Be thankful I let it last as long as it did.”
 
“What are you talking about!?” Bakura demanded, and Mello glanced back at him. Then he sighed, shaking his head.
 
“Ryou, tell me. How many times have you tried to stop Sith from doing what she was forced to do?” he asked, and Ryou frowned as he rephrased, “How many times have you said `don't do this' when she has to sacrifice something to do Bahamut's request? Mainly, when it's herself she needs to kill? How many?” Ryou growled. That just wasn't fair. That was such a cheap shot, he was almost insulted that Mello took it. He let go of Sith.
 
“Would you have let her die for them!?” he blurted out. Mello grinned, but there was no mirth to his expression. He was proving a point, but what was it?
 
“I would have helped her find a new way, without causing her to nearly lose her own sanity,” Mello replied, not looking at anything but the ground, “I've watched you, Ryou. You've done nothing. How many times has she had to reassure you that she cares about you? How many times has she told you she'd find a new way? How many times was her way not good enough for you? You really think your marriage would've lasted years with the way you act?” Ryou wished he could just kill Mello. But Sith would've protected him. He had to admit that in reality, he really hadn't thought too much on how she felt. Only in the fact that she could save his world. It brought tears to his eyes.
 
“Sith,” he began, but Mello stopped him with a click of his gun.
 
“No. You don't get to have her smooth this out,” the man said furiously, “I said this was between us. Get her involved and I will shoot you.” Ryou didn't doubt that for a second. Mello looked insane enough to murder. Sith wanted to protest, but he didn't hear her. She even grabbed his arm, but Mello shook her off gently. Ryou's eyes narrowed angrily. He grabbed Zerrkandr, the blade glowing in his hands.
 
“Fine then. I'll stab your good eye out,” Ryou retorted. Mello spat, looking away to avoid laughing at Ryou. That was a mistake. Ryou was no battle expert, but he had been beside Sith in battle for many times now. He knew an opening when he saw it. He rushed and leapt up, like Sith had done, and brought his sword down toward Mello's blonde head. Mello looked up a second too soon, and slid back on the marble floor, Ryou crashing into the ground. The aftershock sent Mello sprawling toward the far end of the hall. Ryou couldn't control his fury. He was so close to killing Mello now. So close to ending Sith's nightmares. He dashed after the blonde man, a new murderous look to his eyes that scared even Bakura. But no one could stop them. Mello had deemed it that way, and everyone knew better than to argue. Except that Sith was on her feet, her boots carrying her faster than Bakura felt possible in her gown. Ryou was so close to Mello, his sword raised over his head to kill the man. The sword flew. It flew end over end for its target, for Mello's chest. Ryou watched in eerie distance, and then he saw Sith leap over, flying for the sword, which she caught by the hilt, landing gracefully in front of Mello. He looked up at her, his good eye wide as he struggled to sit up.
 
“Bakura!” Sith called sharply, and Bakura rushed over to her, his own body trembling, “Help him.” Bakura looked down at Mello. Any insanity the man had momentarily vanished. Bakura helped him to sit as he pondered Ryou's actions. That had gotten too out of control. Never had Ryou raised a hand to anyone. Why to Mello? Why to the truth of Mello's words? Bakura had never wanted to say that to Ryou himself, but damn it, Mello was bold enough to. He had been too soft, and now Ryou was facing a true problem. He turned to look up at Sith, but she had turned away, her gown brushing the floor.
 
“Sith, what…”
 
“I must speak with my husband,” she said that with such sternness, such anger, that Ryou felt himself getting afraid now. Not because of what she might do, but because he realized he had done a terrible thing. He nearly murdered another man. Just for caring about his wife, a wife of only three months. He looked down, but he could still hear her boots carrying her across the floor. In the ensuing silence, it felt like a precursor to his death. He knew she was close, but he couldn't look up at her. All it took was one moment of utter outrage, of unfettered hatred. And he nearly murdered with it.
 
“Sith… I'm sorry,” he whispered. But her expression was so hard. He had pushed her patience. It was so rare, but he succeeded in it. She forced his head up, to stare into her judging eyes. He couldn't do it. He couldn't hold that gaze. But she didn't let go.
 
“Do you feel better now?” she asked, her voice too warm to be cold, but too cold to be warm, “Do you feel better now that you've proven you could kill him?” Ryou winced at the sound of her voice. This wasn't fair; she wasn't being fair. How was he supposed to react? She was his wife. But somehow… that fact had evaporated from her. Or had it? Had he not been her husband, she would've killed him on the spot. She had a shred of love, after all. Much more than that, but Ryou was too angry to consider it in full.
 
“I won't feel better until he's gone,” he growled lowly. Sith just sighed and shook her head, as though she were scolding a child. Which, in her mind, she very well may have been doing. He was still a child. Barely eighteen years old, with a wife. But she no longer felt like his wife. Silence passed for a moment, the only thing either of them hearing was their own heavy breaths. Finally, Sith spoke again. Her voice sounded so strange in such a large hall.
 
“Tell me what you hate more,” she said, and there was a finality to his words that scared him, “That he's proven our marriage invalid, or that he loves me. Which angers you most?” Ryou couldn't see why that question was so important to her. Both of them angered him. But if he had to choose, the latter felt much worse. That was what caused Mello to say `I hate you' to Ryou. That's what caused him to abandon Sith, leaving her shocked out of herself for just a few hours. That's probably what made Sith seem so hesitant on marrying Ryou.
 
“I can't stand that he loves you,” Ryou told her, his brows creased sharply as he spoke. He didn't notice Mello standing up.
 
“Why? Because I love her more than you could?” Mello asked. Ryou wanted to rip his voice box out, he sounded so damn arrogant. His body was shaking in utter outrage.
 
“Shut up!” Ryou cried, turning a hateful glare on Mello, “Damn it, Sith, what do you want me to say!? That this is all right!? It isn't! It's wrong! Why are you protecting him so much!? I'm your husband! Or have you forgotten that part!?”
 
“Have you forgotten I'm your wife?” Sith countered calmly, and Ryou's mouth suddenly dropped open, “You've had such little faith in me, Ryou. I protect Mello because, whether you like it or not, he is part of my life. Just as you are, and everyone else.” Ryou panted angrily, finding no way to correct her on that. She spoke the truth. It was the same for Bakura; even though Bakura had done some horrible things, Ryou protected him and defended him when everyone else wanted him destroyed. But Bakura wasn't his ex-lover. Ryou shook, and then fell onto one knee, tears watering his eyes. He saw Sith kneel before him, placing a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at her. She looked so kind.
 
“Sith… Mello…” he started, but a roar from behind drowned his words. Sith scrambled up, and Mello turned toward where the horrifying sound had come from. One of the double-doors down the hallway. Ryou glanced at Sith, and she started running toward it, Mello following behind as Malik and Bakura ran alongside her. Ryou grabbed his sword and went to help her as well. That sounded hostile; blood-curdling, almost. Sith clapped her hands as she reached the door. They immediately swung open to reveal the audience chamber, its floors and walls golden and sparkling. And in the center of that chamber were not one, but three dragons. Bahamut, the black dragon god, Tiamat, his blue-scaled wife, and a third one Ryou did not recognize. Everyone gasped as they entered the chamber, Gustave and Link drawing their swords as they went to stand in front of Sith. But she waved for them to lower their weapons. The last dragon, silver in color, snaked its head to look at her.
 
“What is the meaning of this?” she asked Bahamut, who looked down at her firmly, “Who is this, and what is going on in my castle. We have word that you were dying, my lord.” Ryou's body tensed as he recalled his last meeting with the Espers. It had gone horribly. But Sith was better able to handle them. Bahamut's mouth opened slowly, his voice coming out smoothly.
 
“Ah… yes… that wasn't I,” he said calmly, and closed his huge eyes, “Forgive me, lady Sith. What you had felt was an onrush of power from this little one.” He nodded his large chin toward the smallest dragon, who roared again, looking down at Sith with expectant eyes. There was something about it that seemed familiar to Ryou. It looked as Sith had, when she'd turned into a dragon. Had she morphed into that?
 
“Who is it?” Yami asked, raising a skeptical brow. Bahamut looked from Sith, to her friends. He seemed surprised to see Yami, and even more so to see Bakura. Ryou couldn't help but smile when Bahamut face went grim as it fell on Mello. Obviously, Bahamut didn't like him much, and Ryou could only guess as to why. Being completely obnoxious was a good reason. As was being insane.
 
“Ah, lady Sith, I see you've brought your court with you. Very wise,” Bahamut said approvingly, and then added, “Though I do not trust Mihael Keehl here. Remove him.” Ryou snorted, and Bakura nudged him to silence the younger man. Sith shook her head, which Ryou thought was a very risky move. Not many defied Bahamut. Sith was part of the select few who had, and he hoped Bahamut was much more forgiving than before. The dragon just watched her carefully.
 
“I will not,” she replied, crossing her arms, “Tell me what this is about. You have failed to crown me as queen. Is there a reason, sir?”
 
“If you're going to punish her again, you're going to have to kill us, too,” Malik added. What he didn't say was how incredibly easy that'd be if Bahamut did decide that. Sith herself could kill them; he could imagine what a god would do to him. But Bahamut just chuckled again, shaking his massive head as the small dragon yowled.
 
“Punish her? She has righted the wrong she committed,” he stated, “No, I have not crowned her because this wyvern wanted to see the ceremony. Oblivion has not stabilized yet, and passage was difficult for him.”
 
“Who is he?” Bakura asked this time, “Why is he so important that you had to stop the ceremony? You understand how panicked everyone is, right?”
 
“They will live. They always do,” Bahamut replied calmly, and looked down at the young dragon, “As to this, you have met him. Through Sith, you have all seen him at one point. He is the dragon she turns into. And though she doesn't remember him yet, he wished to see her crowned, as she should have been long ago.” Ryou looked over at Sith. Her mouth dropped open. He could guess she wasn't entirely too happy. She was sure she'd gotten all of her memories at once. But, that dragon had been hiding. And memories took time to understand. He patted her back as the dragon stepped forward toward her, sitting in front of her and letting a small jet of fire loose. It didn't burn her. Malik looked from the dragon, to Bahamut, and then to Sith.
 
“Wait… so you are crowning her?” he asked, and frowned, “That means she's leaving us!”
 
“Nesce needs a ruler, and she has proven herself more than worthy,” Bahamut replied calmly, as Tiamat said, “She need not stay here forever. Just until the court is settled and business is prospering.” Ryou felt only a little relief from that, but it was pretty clear no one else understood such a comfort. Tiamat was actually being very reasonable, but time was different for Espers. They lived forever. Or close to it.
 
“How long would that take?” Yami asked flatly. Ryou stared in disbelief. He'd have never been able to get away with such disrespect, but Yami was perfectly content to show his displeasure to the dragons. He didn't comment, no matter how many things popped into his head. He felt Sith pat his arm approvingly. She must've sensed his thoughts. Bahamut looked up at the great domed ceiling considerately as he estimated such a thing. Then, he snapped two of his great claws.
 
“No more than seven weeks,” he replied. Bakura nearly fell over at the response, and Ryou's eyes widened in bewilderment. Seven weeks!? For one court!? Esper politics must've been horrendous. Sith was the only one who didn't seem remotely surprised by the answer. Ryou gave her a questioning look, hoping she'd pay attention to him. Bahamut had started explaining procedures, for Malik had blurted out how long that would be. Sith did see him. She smiled and leaned closer.
 
“When my father was in court, it could take years sometimes for a single issue to be resolved,” she whispered, and when Ryou gasped, she continued, “It depends largely on how many problems Nesce has as a whole. This world hasn't seen a fit ruler for three thousand years. Our only saving grace is that many of the rulers from the other worlds will be at my aid.” That would make it easier indeed. But Ryou didn't think on her answer for too long. He looked up at Bahamut. The old dragon hadn't mentioned Sith's wrongdoings at all. And he had said she was crowned. That was good, but Ryou felt sad. That was Sith's aim all along; overthrowing the Mystics. And she'd done it. Finally, she'd done it. He bit his lip, and decided that he needed a more definite answer. He approached Bahamut.
 
“Lord Bahamut,” he began, and Bahamut stopped speaking to look down at him, “Please tell me… Mello's declared my marriage invalid. And Sith is… should be my wife. What does this mean for me?” Sith watched him carefully, and he felt Mello's eyes burn at the question. But he had to know. The question had been running in his mind since Sith had come back, whether she'd be there or not. Bahamut let out a long sigh, tendrils of smoke steaming from his nostrils. He didn't speak for some time, and Ryou began to get restless. He knew everyone was staring at him. He opened his mouth to ask again, but Bahamut finally spoke.
 
“I'm not surprised he did this,” the dragon finally said, “And unfortunately, he is right. It is not valid, neither in your world, and certainly not in this one.” The words crushed Ryou. Bakura stood up, eye twitching as he looked wildly at the dragon.
 
WHAT?!” he demanded, “You have to be kidding me! What the hell did we celebrate for!? Damn it, how do we get them married the right way!
 
“Not letting Mello do it is a good start,” Katt joked, but no one laughed. What happened in the hall was still fresh in their minds. Sith bit her lip, and looked at Katt. Katt said nothing. Ryou said nothing. Even Mello was left speechless. The three of them were key to how this would go. And none of them were speaking. Bahamut waited for them for some time, but when it seemed they weren't going to offer help, he intervened again.
 
“It would all depend on what you would wish,” he stated, and Ryou looked up, “Think on it. Is this a good match, Ryou? Why did you marry the queen in the first place? What started it?” Ryou blinked, realizing that he didn't actually know what started it. He looked at Sith. He heard what she was thinking. `It wasn't I.' He looked at Mello. He didn't need to hear what Mello wanted. He knew; he wanted Sith happy, and he wanted that happiness to be with him. Then, he looked at Katt. She looked guilty about this. He heard her thought. `It was me…' He sighed.
 
“We need to discuss this in private,” Ryou finally said to Bahamut, “Sir… before we can go on, may we?”
 
“I couldn't agree more,” the dragon stated, nodding his large head, “There is a conference chamber behind the throne. Use it. You have an hour.” Ryou's eyes widened. A hour didn't seem remotely long enough, but they did have to get back and report to the others in St. Roris. He nodded, and led the three others toward the back, where a golden door sat. Sith opened it, and it led to a large, round room with one glass table, and two chairs on each side. The ends were left empty. He sighed, thinking that this wasn't how he wanted his marriage to end. Scratch that. He didn't even want his marriage to end. But it'd be decided here.
 
“Let's do this,” he sighed, and they sat. If Bahamut had any mercy on him, it wouldn't take long for Sith to make a decision. And hopefully, Katt would let her do so this time.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
And so, after the great battle in the hallway, Ryou finds himself having to do battle again, this time with words. After finding that Bahamut was safe, and that the influx was caused by Sith's own wyvern, Ryou now sits face to face with Sith, Katt, and Mello to decide who rightfully ascends the throne with Sith. Who will it be? Was Ryou's marriage actually illegitimate? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!