Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Seth's Magical Adventure! ❯ From Sand into Ice ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Kazuki Takahashi does, and he's a genius for creating it.
 
At the palace, chaos seemed to have subsided, at least in the courtroom. The guards, unable to locate Isis or Shaddah, had come back. Siamun was standing nervously next to the pharaoh, who sat in his throne, arms crossed and angry. Ahkenaden stood on the court's floor alone, as he was the only priest left.
 
“Great pharaoh,” one of the guards bowed, and continued, “I realize we are short of judges, but shall we open court now? We cannot wait forever.” Atemu was still quite cross, and the mention of his rather unloyal priests definitely didn't improve his mood. He glared at the guard, who shivered, seeing his king angered.
 
“What court do we have!?” Atemu asked, grumpy, “We have one priest! Just one! My knight's alone in the desert, two of my priests are after her, two more ran away, and Seth is Ra-knows-where! We don't have a court right now!” The guard blinked, never having known Atemu to be this unreasonable. He glanced back at a few other guards near the entrance, and all of them shrugged as well. He turned back to Atemu.
 
“Sir, I know that there has been much excitement, but you must calm down,” the guard urged, and Atemu's eyes turned to slits, “We… we can judge the… prisoner…” The guard stopped talking as Atemu had actually stood up. And now he was walking right toward the poor man, who just wanted to run right now.
 
“What part of “we don't have a court” do you not understand?” Atemu asked, crossing his arms again, “You cannot judge a person! Only my priests can, and they're gone! So no, we will not open the court!” The first guard dropped his spear in pure terror, so another guard came up to help him. He saluted to Atemu.
 
“Then shall we simply put the man in jail?” the second guard asked. Atemu calmed down, waved his hand in dismissal as he turned back to the throne, and sat down again.
 
“Yes, sure, fine, whatever!” Atemu cried, quite unbefitting a pharaoh, “Do whatever you want with him! It's not like my priests can stop you!” The two guards looked at each other, and then turned and walked towards the other crowd of guards as they held a man, obviously the prisoner in question. As they walked through, the guards turned to each other.
 
“What is the pharaoh's problem? I've never seen him like this before!” the first guard hissed, keeping his voice low. The second guard shook his head.
 
“He's also never lost most of his court before, either,” the second guard replied, “If you ask me, I think something's been going on between him and his knight. If you know what I mean.” The first guard had to stifle a laugh.
 
“Hush! He'll hear you!” the first guard snapped, as they gossiped like women. What they failed to notice was that Atemu had already heard them. By some pure act of the gods, he was right behind them.
 
“And, by chance, what DO you mean?” Atemu asked, annoyed. The guards screamed, and then stuttered as they turned around to face their king again.
 
“Well, uh… it's just that… you know,” the guards spoke in unison, “You're just been protective, and she's been rather bold, and…” Atemu's eyes narrowed.
 
“And is this a problem?” he asked, as the guards backed away again.
 
“N-no! It's just,” the second guard said, and then spat everything out at once, too quickly, “We just think you're being cut off!” He realized his mistake too late. If Atemu was angry before, he would be a nightmare now. He twitched angrily, not just for the accusation, but because it concerned Sith. Wind blew throughout the palace.
 
GET OUT OF MY SIGHT NOW!” Atemu roared, and all of the guards ran like scared schoolgirls. Even the prisoner ran like a bat out of hell. Slowly, but surely, the pharaoh was running out of supporters.
 
---
 
Meanwhile, the three priests and the thief, Bakura, dashed through the desert as it slowly went through a miraculous transformation. The winds grew stronger, the air cold with the arctic chill. They had to be close to the northern expanse. The sky began to brighten, and Mahaado realized it was close to morning.
 
“Bakura, how long have we to go?” he asked, and Bakura narrowed his eyes. Looking ahead, and using Diabound to scan the great distance, Bakura saw the endless plain that was the desert. He also saw the Central Spire, though it was very far away.
 
“A good while,” Bakura replied, “And don't expect it to warm up, either. The farther north we go, the colder it'll become.” Seth moaned miserably, and shivered. He'd never traveled this way before, and so he never felt just how cold the desert could actually be. A pang of guilt hit him again, as he remembered that Sith was also suffering the cold. But unlike him, she had no one with her.
 
“Will we need to travel all day!?” Seth asked, using one arm to rub his cold back and the other to keep his horse's reigns in check. Bakura rolled his eyes, and nodded.
 
“Of course we will. The spire is simply a check point,” Bakura snapped, though he didn't look back, “It's not something we can go into, so I doubt she'd stay long, but we can't rest and let her get away.” Karim agreed with him, and Mahaado simply nodded. Seth also agreed, except that it was Bakura speaking.
 
“We? You're simply a guide, thief. We don't plan on keeping you,” Seth sneered, and Bakura simply ignored the tone as he asked, “Why are you helping us, anyway?” Bakura also ignored Seth's question, so Mahaado decided to inquire.
 
“It does seem rather odd. I thought you wanted to kill us,” Mahaado stated. Bakura sighed, and slowed so he could ride next to Mahaado. He at least somewhat respected Mahaado, though he wouldn't admit it.
 
“And I do. But you're looking for Knight Sith, and I like her,” Bakura replied, “If I help you, I get to see her. It's purely out of selfishness. Don't mistake my aid for friendship.” Mahaado and Karim were both speechless, so Bakura sped ahead to keep the lead. When he was out of earshot, Seth finally spoke.
 
“I don't trust Bakura in the least. I say we cut him loose and leave him here,” Seth suggested, “I know what he's up to. He'll help us until we find the knight, then he'll attack afterwards.”
 
“I don't know. He doesn't seem like he's all that into hurting us right now,” Karim observed, squinting to keep the thief in his sight, “He's had enough chance to strike, and he's yet to take it. Seth, even if you're correct, we cannot leave him here.” Seth looked at Karim, eyes wide with both concern and anger. He was actually suggesting they trust the king of thieves!
 
“I think the desert's driven you mad, Karim,” Seth stated bluntly, “Did you hear what you said? You want to trust the most dangerous thief along the Nile!” Mahaado crossed his arms, somehow still holding onto his horse.
 
“We wouldn't have to if you hadn't complained about resting, Seth,” Mahaado reminded, “Without him, we wouldn't be able to find the spire. But also, without him, we wouldn't know Sith was even there. He's helped us already.” Seth twitched, absolutely furious with Mahaado for siding with Karim. And he was just told another thing was his fault, which he hated even more. Silently, he cursed Mahaado for 1000 years. But that curse was broken as Bakura yelled from the distance.
 
“Are you three coming!? Or shall I wait here and get myself lost?” Bakura asked impatiently. Seth was about to scream until he saw that Mahaado and Karim had sped up their horses. Cursing once more, Seth did the same, not wanting to be left behind. They kept heading northwest in silence. And they noticed Bakura was right about the air. Even as the moon began to set and the sky brightened more and slowly more, it became colder. The wind's roar became stronger, and new scents became noticeable. Seth smelled not just sand, but water, snow, plants, and dirt. They were almost foreign to him, and he realized just how far they went in one night. Or perhaps the wind was just much too strong, blowing those scents from far away. Whatever the cause, the scents caused Mahaado to stop suddenly, as he sniffed and turned his head. Seth looked at where his gaze was pointed, and saw outlines in the desert. Big, lumbering outlines, like those of dangerous monster ka, but these were no spirits.
 
“What are those?” Mahaado asked, squinting his eyes to see. Seth couldn't see beyond the swirls of sand, save for the dark shadows of the monsters. They would be very huge up close, full of spikes and claws, and possibly wearing chains. Even at the distance, their footsteps were heard. Bakura had stopped as well, and saw the monsters just as much as Mahaado had. He was tense, Seth noticed.
 
“Ragmeroths,” Bakura growled, “Knight Sith mentioned them when she passed through the town back there.” Mahaado shivered a bit, even though in truth, he had no idea what a Ragmeroth actually was.
 
“Are they dangerous?” Karim asked, and Bakura nodded very slowly.
 
“Incredibly so,” Bakura replied grimly, “I've only seen one, but it was terrifying. It's easily as big as any pyramid, and it can toss anything into the air with its tusks. It's like a cross between a terrible horned lizard and an oversized jackal.” Not even Seth argued about the monster's strength as they continued to watch it from the distance. No, not just one, there were probably three out there. They seemed to be prowling.
 
“What are they looking for?” Seth asked, arching a bewildered brow. Bakura gave him a short glance before answering.
 
“Magical remnants,” Bakura replied, and his voice grew quieter, “From Knight Sith.” Everyone's eyes widened in terror as they all asked the same question.
 
“What!?”
 
“That's the only thing that could lure them all over there,” Bakura stated, “The moon glow from her wings. She's very powerful, but I doubt she could take them on.” Mahaado looked at Karim with more fear than a mother who'd lost her child.
 
“What if she's been…” Mahaado couldn't finish his sentence as he clutched his chest. But Bakura shook his head.
 
“She hasn't. She's still out there, but she'll be harder to find now,” Bakura replied, assuring Mahaado, “She's probably hiding somewhere, and I don't blame her.” Though the priests kept silent, they didn't blame Sith either. They edged a bit closer toward the Ragmeroths, but only a minute later, Bakura stopped them.
 
“Thief, what are you doing!? Time is essential,” Seth snapped angrily, but he didn't rattle Bakura in the least. Bakura's expression was hard, in either concentration or determination, but he continued to watch the horrible beasts for just a minute longer before he answered.
 
“And so is our lives,” Bakura replied simply, “Those beasts are stronger than even my Diabound in this light. We can't attack them or we'll die.” Karim pulled his horse's reigns as it tried to pull ahead, and looked at Bakura with concern.
 
“What can we do? I doubt we can simply go around them,” he observed, and Bakura snorted a mocking laugh.
 
“You seem to be a bright one. No, we can't go around them. They'll smell us before we can take a step in their territory,” Bakura began, and smirked, “Which is why we'll use Diabound. He can conceal our very presence, making our scents obscure as well. As long as we can cross before a strong sunlight bursts forth, we'll be unharmed.” Mahaado and Karim glanced quickly at each other in almost a deciding way, and then agreed to Bakura's plan. Seth was reluctant, but an inability to come up with an alternative forced him to agree as well. Bakura nodded and asked everyone to stand back as he looked up at the slowly brightening sky.
 
DIABOUND, COME FORTH!” he roared, and the wind kicked up again as his large, snake-and-humanlike spirit beast sprung from the sand, “Use your powers and conceal us all.” Diabound gave a hefty growl, and did so. Soon, Seth couldn't even see Mahaado or Karim, but he knew they were there.
 
“Good work, Bakura!” Mahaado exclaimed, “I hate to admit it, but we wouldn't be after Sith if you hadn't helped us.” Bakura, although he couldn't see Mahaado, rolled his eyes and made his horse move forward, Diabound right by his side.
 
“Save your patronage for later,” he said bitterly, “I'm helping for Knight Sith, not for you.” Mahaado nodded, a bit hurt by Bakura's words, but he said nothing. Taking Bakura's cue, the group made their way forward, and to their relief, the Ragmeroths didn't notice them at all. They kept grunting and pacing back and forth. Seth felt their hot breath, but didn't dare to wipe his forehead. He didn't want to blow their cover, as they were only less than half way across. After another few feet, however, Seth realized that what he did wouldn't matter as the worst happened. The sun poked through the midnight clouds as though time was being sped up, and Diabound was revealed, along with the men he was hiding. All of them blinked, at first unable to believe their luck.
 
“Uh oh…” Karim said slowly, as one of the Ragmeroths turned and sniffed. They smelled the group, and roared angrily.
 
“RUN!” Bakura shouted frantically, kicking his horse off, “Diabound will hold them for a while!” No one, not even Diabound, needed directing. As Mahaado, Karim, and Seth flew off to keep up with Bakura, Diabound slammed his fists into one of the charging beasts, sending it flying backwards. Another charged at the spirit, but he simply blasted it with a bolt. Feeling his orders were done, Diabound whisked off to find Bakura just as another pack of Ragmeroths emerged, even bigger than the ones before.
 
“Bakura, they're still coming!” Mahaado called from behind, as Diabound flew up, “Diabound's not fighting them!” Bakura turned around just long enough to see the huge herd, and cursed angrily. He turned to Diabound again.
 
“Go back there and destroy them!” he shouted, but Diabound grunted, “WHAT!? What do you mean they're too strong!?” Bakura heaved another angry curse as Seth pulled up next to him.
 
“What's wrong? Why won't he fight!?” Seth demanded, as Bakura calmed himself down.
 
“The two from before were babies. The ones coming right now are way too strong. All we can do is outrun them!” Bakura said, as a scream emerged from in back. It was coming from Mahaado, who'd been picked up by the tusks of one of the beasts and was being thrown in the air. He flew very far, but luckily it was in the right direction. Karim was shortly next as he went hurtling by, his horse following.
 
“Thief, do something this instant!” Seth yelled, but Bakura too soon was also being tossed a great distance away, neither his horse nor Diabound fast enough to help him. With his master so far away, Diabound simply vanished, leaving Seth alone. He screamed and urged his horse to go as fast as possible, but it was to no good. Finally, he felt thick tusks closing in on him, and they lifted both he and his horse high, throwing them as far as the others.
 
When Seth finally awoke, he found that he was near water. No, not water, it was mud. It smelled of fresh water, though. Groggily, he pushed himself up and shook his head. Then he looked around. Mahaado and Karim had landed a little ahead, and Bakura was in a heap near them. Their horses miraculously survived, but something still felt wrong. Seth got up on his feet, and shivered. It was unusually cold, even for the Central Spire region. And, it was starting to snow.
 
“Mahaado, Karim, wake up!” Seth whispered, walking to them. He helped Mahaado sit up, and slowly, the priest opened his eyes. Karim seemed to be waking on his own as he shook his head.
 
“What happened? Did we all make it?” Mahaado asked stiffly, and then noticed the snow, “Where are we?”
 
“I don't know. We were all thrown away by those… those things,” Seth replied, “If the thief can get up, he might know.” Karim was already helping Bakura, who looked very sick. Diabound had suffered a lot of damage, and it affected Bakura horribly as he coughed up a little blood. He didn't even seem to notice the cold or snow.
 
“Wherever we are, we must be near the spire by now,” Karim stated, patting Bakura's back to help him. Bakura gasped for air, and then laughed.
 
“We're past it,” he answered weakly, taking a sip of water that Mahaado was bringing him, “We're in Nesce territory. That's why it's snowing.” Karim looked over at Seth, who seemed just as freaked out.
 
“Isn't that where Knight Sith comes from!?” Karim asked, as Seth nodded, “Do you think she's here!?” Seth tugged his robe, as he had no idea what the answer was. Bakura was cleverer, and sniffed the air. Aside from the water, he smelled the desert, dirt, the forests beyond, and… flowers. Specifically, a rose. He grinned and the color returned to his face.
 
“She's here, somewhere,” he said almost happily, “We're nearly there! Soon, I… I mean, we can confirm her good condition to the pharaoh!” Mahaado and Karim looked at Bakura suspiciously, neither one of them believing he'd actually see the knight back safely. Not without a motive of his own, at least. Mahaado smiled amused, and then turned to Karim.
 
“Even if we're close, I still have a bad feeling,” Mahaado stating, “I doubt this could be so easy.” Karim nodded and crossed his arms.
 
“I feel the same, as well. Something doesn't feel normal,” Karim added, looking around. The desert, although still present, was thinning severely and the sandstorm had died. Snow was slowly covering the dirt outlining Egypt and the almost invisible Nesce territories. But nothing seen was out of place.
 
“Maybe it's simply the cold,” Seth suggested, patting a horse to assure it, “We're not used to snow.” Bakura shook his head.
 
“No, something truly isn't normal,” Bakura contradicted, as he threw up again, “Ugh… anyway, I've been here before, and I agree with your friends. Something's wrong. It's like the magic's being drained from the world beyond.” Mahaado bit his lower lip nervously, and finally it hit Seth why Atemu would ever let Sith leave, despite the danger. Espers were dying, and Atemu, through his father, had an alliance to the specific king to Nesce.
 
“Shit!” Seth cursed, “No wonder he wanted me to help her. Without the Espers, we're vulnerable too. But why is the kingdom under attack?” He looked at Bakura, as Bakura seemed to know the most, but the thief simply shrugged.
 
“We need to ask Sith that,” Bakura answered, “It looks like we've been dragged into some kind of conspiracy, but what links her to this? Why would the pharaoh send her alone?” Karim looked down, fidgeting. Then he answered with hesitancy.
 
“I think… Sith's more than she tells us,” Karim said, “Her father's the chi… no, her father's the king there. Sith was put here for a reason, and I think she may be the only one who can get through the Lion's Gate. Atemu must've known that.”
 
“Why wouldn't she tell anyone this?” Mahaado asked. Bakura snorted.
 
“You honestly think she'd confide in any of you?” he asked, arching an eyebrow, “She doesn't like you. And she probably wanted to keep it under cover. Do you know what would happen if her supposed royalty slipped out? The rumors alone would make it impossible for her to help us. And she's done a good deal.”
 
“That's true,” Karim agreed reluctantly, “Rumors are already starting between her and the pharaoh. Think anyone knows about what she truly is?” Seth glanced over at Karim suspiciously.
 
“You already do,” he answered bluntly. Karim sighed, and decided to explain himself.
 
“I only know because I was her teacher. She told me everything,” Karim said, looking toward the distance, “I promised her I'd keep her secret for her. What was I to do? I thought of her as a daughter.” Mahaado and Seth looked at each other guiltily. Bakura, however, was looking at something else. Something in the distance really disturbed him.
 
“Everyone, look!” Bakura exclaimed, pointing. Seth and Karim ran over, and looked. A huge rocky gate stood, its doors thrown wide open. Snow swirled in through there, mixed with traces of moon glow and magic. And someone was walking through. Seth squinted his eyes to see who it was.
 
“Is that Sith!?” he asked, as Karim looked ahead. It was. Sith, in all her white linen and golden armor, walked through, her sword in her hand. Her expression was hard, almost angry. Her sword was glowing purple. Karim gasped when he saw her.
 
“She got here so quickly!” he exclaimed, in disbelief, “We truly are blessed we found her before she went through.” Karim went ahead to try and stop her just as Mahaado came up. Seth made a grab for Karim's arm and missed.
 
“Karim, stop! You can't…” Seth was too late. Karim was nearly halfway towards her. Frustrated, Seth and Mahaado ran to catch him, with Bakura coming up last with their horses. When they reached her, Sith merely looked at them blankly.
 
“Sith, I'm so glad we found you,” Karim said, taking her wrist, “Come back. The pharaoh is waiting for you.” Sith, however, took her hand away and shook her head.
 
“No. Nesce is in trouble. Lion's Gate has already been destroyed. I must go through,” Sith replied firmly, “I must stop them. My father may be dead, but my brother isn't, and he needs help.” Sith went to go ahead, but Seth stopped her again.
 
“Sith, please. I was wrong to make you go alone,” Seth pleaded, “The pharaoh's worried about you. Hell, everyone is. At least come back and tell him you're all right.” Sith seemed to consider that, but again shook her head. Her expression softened, but her answer remained the same.
 
“I can't. I have no time,” Sith replied, “None of you can understand. Nesce is just an ally continent to you. But it's my home. I need to stop them.” Seth was speechless, being rejected by Sith. Karim also seemed to have trouble accepting her choice, and Mahaado knew better than to change her mind. Bakura decided to put his two cents in.
 
“Knight Sith, can't we come with you?” he asked, “Why do you need to go alone?” Sith sighed, and shook her head again.
 
“Because I'm an Esper. Now, I must leave. Please, tell the pharaoh I'm sorry,” she said, and then added, “And please don't follow me.” Then she walked through the gate to the snowy abyss beyond without even looking back. She left the four speechless as they simply watched her go. Bakura sighed and sat on the cold stone flooring of the gate's tunnel. He followed the pattern on the stone with his finger.
 
“So, do we follow her?” he asked, “She doesn't want us to, but we came this far to see her. I say we keep going.” Mahaado looked at Karim. He was distant, and he looked very upset. Mahaado didn't blame him at all. Sith was going to possible death now.
 
“I agree,” Mahaado said hesitantly, making Seth look at him with concern, “Sith may be an Esper, but she's still able to be killed. I can't let her die.” Karim nodded.
 
“As I said, she's like a daughter to me,” Karim added, “As her teacher, it's my duty to make sure she gets through her challenges.” Seth raised an amused eyebrow, thinking all of their reasons were a bit too sentimental, but in the end, he also knew he wanted to help her as well.
 
“I'd just hate to see the pharaoh in such a mess over her,” Seth said simply, taking his horse from Bakura and climbing onto it, “But someone needs to tell him we're going after her.” Mahaado and Karim exchanged glances, neither one wanting to back down, but in the end, it was Bakura that volunteered.
 
“I'll tell him,” Bakura said, climbing his own horse, “I shouldn't go into the Otherworld anyway. Just make sure you find her.” Seth nodded, as Karim and Mahaado got onto their horses and turned towards the gate.
 
“Don't steal from the palace or we'll kill you,” Seth warned. Bakura grinned, and nodded, taking that as another way of saying “be safe.” Then he rode off, leaving the three priests on their own.
 
“Shall we go now?” Karim asked, after a few moments of silence passed. Seth nodded.
 
“Yeah. Who knows what lies on the other side, waiting for Sith?” he asked, and they started to walk through, “After all, we work for the pharaoh, and the pharaoh wants Sith back alive.”
 
-----------------------------(End chapter)
 
Well, at least Seth found Sith! Unfortunately, his adventure has only started, as now he must go into the Otherworld with Mahaado and Karim in order to keep her alive. What awaits them in the snowy world of Nesce? Can Bakura deliver the message to Atemu in time? Will they catch Sith again? And will the palace court ever start up? Find out the answers next chapter, so click that Review button!