Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Seth's Magical Adventure! ❯ Last Ditch Efforts ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Takahashi does, and he's glad Seth's not a total asshole.
 
One last strike. That was what Sith needed in order to give them all the time they needed to run out of the room. Seth saw it in her eyes for the split second he saw her. She looked back at him knowingly, and it were as though he could understand what she was thinking. All he could do was agree; they'd be utterly useless in a fight anyway. He turned, and tugged on Mahaado's arm, hoping that the other priest understood, too. But, he was wrong. Mahaado just looked at him, half horrified, half perplexed, and he certainly didn't make a move to… well, move. And at that moment, Seth really wished he would.
 
“Where are you trying to go?” Mahaado asked, and both Atemu and Bakura turned. Unlike Mahaado, however, they didn't look nearly as understanding. They seemed to think he was abandoning Sith. He sighed heavily, and stopped momentarily. As little time as they had, if they didn't move, they'd have no time period. He had to let them know what had to be done or they'd stay just to die beside Sith. Like the sheep and their shepherd, of course.
 
“We have to get out,” Seth replied, “We needed time. Sith's giving us that time. Let's not waste it in vain.” He saw that Rath narrowly escaped being skewered by Sith's sword, but killing wasn't yet Sith's intention. For now, she was stalling. But she couldn't stall forever. And unfortunately, Atemu wasn't crediting her thoughts. Mainly because he couldn't read them.
 
“I'll not leave my friend in jeopardy!” the pharaoh declared, brows creasing, “Not when it was my kingdom that this was waged in. I plan to fight!”
 
“Great pharaoh, we have no time!” Seth stressed, knowing that now he was just pushing Sith's luck. He could hear her sword ringing as it collided with another weapon, possibly another sword. But this time, that second sword was in Rath's hands. “Can we not leave this once!?” Atemu wasn't the most able king, but Seth had to admit he did have loyalty and dedication. The young king simply shook his head firmly. Just like so many other doomed idiots previous.
 
“I said I plan to fight!” he repeated, his voice even louder. Seth heard Sith groan in pain, and knew she'd taken a hit. If he planned to help her at all, he'd have to infuriate everyone into leaving now. He pitched their last chance on this one insult. And if it was enough to get him fired, he'd deal with it later. If they even lived to fire him.
 
“Don't be a damned idiot! We're not doing that!” Seth exclaimed, and for a short while, silence seemed to fall around them. The battle raging just feet away seemed distant to them, most of whom were shocked that Seth would say such a thing. Atemu's mouth had nearly dropped. To insult him so! Seth really would be lucky if he lived. Seth wasted no time. As Sith nicked at one of Rath's large wings, causing her to tilt and lose her balance, Seth grabbed Atemu's arm and dragged him away. The priests seemed completely unable to grasp what had happened, but Bakura had caught on. It was a clever idea, though he knew Seth had taken a good risk by doing it. Seth very possibly just saved Atemu's life. And with Gilden's help, Bakura herded the other priests out of the room after them. That left Sith to battle with Rath. And to hopefully win.
 
The blaze of the inferno was nearly unbearable as Seth dragged the unwilling king with him, heading across the balconies overlooking the large entry chamber below. There was no mistaking that many of their forces had been lost; already he could see corpses littering the floor below, and he saw them on the second floor as well. How many they lost, he didn't bother to count. He simply prayed they had some survivors out of doors. After all, the front doors had been opened. Someone had to have escaped. At least, he hoped.
 
He finally reached the grand staircases that led down to the first floor, and was horrified by the number of bodies strewn on the steps, their blood saturating the rugs and tiles in ghastly combinations of red, purple, and blue. But he couldn't stop to make a full count. With Atemu still struggling to escape his grasp, and knowing Bakura was right behind with the others, Seth went down the stairs. He winced as he went; he recognized too many of the faces he was forced to behold. Similarly, he could see it affecting Atemu, Karim, and Mahaado as well. Even Bakura felt sick from the sight, and Gilden simply offered the briefest of condolences. But still, they had to press on. They reached the last stair, and finally they stood fully in the entrance hall. The statue had been completely eradicated by the fire. Not even the massive paws of the great Fenrir remained, most of the body having been reduced to cinders, the fountain reduced to nothing more than a flaming pit.
 
“The statue!” Gilden exclaimed in terror, “My god, she broke the statue!” He knelt down, picking a handful of cinder up. It made his dark skin seem pale in comparison. “How… how can this be? Only the most vile of magic could ever dispel Fenrir's power!”
 
“Let's go before we're the next target of that magic,” Bakura growled, looking up at the ceiling. Or lack of it. Directly above the statue was where Sith had entered from, and even here, they could see the battle being waged. Both women wielded their swords with superb skill, dodging and striking in a mystical dance that was nearly impossible to see. Whether either was hurt was irrelevant. Seth knew they both most probably suffered injuries, but they'd see who lived only when the dance finally slowed. And it looked like that would be far off indeed. Seth frowned, turning to everyone again. This time, he couldn't be deterred. He would be listened to.
 
“Do you see now? We haven't much time before someone loses. Let's go before we all die,” he said sternly, his eyes flickering orange in the fire, “Let's not let Sith's life be in vain.” Atemu stopped struggling, realizing he hadn't thought of that when they first made their escape. Indeed, all he had thought of was what Seth had said regarding his mental ability. But now he began to see what Seth was really trying to do. It had stunned him just enough to be dragged out with no resistance. He looked up at the fight that refused to die down. Then he wondered something that should've worried him sooner. Sith was there, but where on earth was Sceppiro? He turned to Seth.
 
“What of Sceppiro Winchester?” he asked, and Seth froze. Sceppiro was every bit as important as Sith, but no one knew his whereabouts, nor had anyone gone to look. His lips pursed. Someone had to stay and find him, and Seth knew he should do it. Mahaado and Karim were direly needed for healing, and Atemu shouldn't stay where he would die. Gilden probably wouldn't stay, either, from how he had spoken of the Esper king earlier. That left Seth or Bakura. Or perhaps Seth and Bakura. They nodded. Much like when he felt that moment of connection with Sith, he now felt it with the thief as well. They knew they were the only ones who could stay and see this through. Seth turned to the other two priests, his brows creased in determination for what must be done.
 
“Take the pharaoh and escape back to the ships,” he stated, “Bakura and I will stay and find Sceppiro.” Mahaado opened his mouth to protest, but Karim stopped him with a shake of his head. He pointed up to where the battle still raged on. Sith wasn't looking so good now. Mahaado frowned. Someone would need to help her as well. He took a deep breath. Then he nodded, clasping Seth's hand.
 
“We'll see you soon, fellow priest,” Mahaado said, and Seth nodded. Then the two priests turned and helped Atemu off, who gave only the briefest of waves before hearing a column behind him crack to pieces. Then he turned, and the three of them fled, Gilden following to help open the doors. Seth watched through the rippling fire. Then he turned back toward the fountain. Sceppiro had to be somewhere. And he had to find him.
 
The fires, though slowly dying as time went on, quickly proved to be the biggest obstacle as Seth and Bakura tried to maneuver through the large entrance hall. Much of the front hall's foundation had collapsed, bringing with it the embers from the spell that had destroyed it, fueling the fire onwards. The crystal walls didn't help to quench it, either; it merely reflected the heat further, throwing shadows that looked like parts of the fire themselves. Seth had a particularly difficult time telling one from the other, and the search started out slowly, going only slower as they moved. The only good thing was that they could see relatively well. Sceppiro was nowhere near the fountain.
 
The fight above them proved to be a formidable distraction, too. Not only were the clangs of both swords invariably loud, reflecting off the walls as much as the heat, the flashes of light caught from the fire by their blades kept blinding both men, neither knowing when to expect it. They also heard each woman speak at different points, but what they spoke, neither could decipher. It was in the Esper language, or so they assumed. Bakura only wished he knew; he was sure Rath was taunting Sith. But Seth had more faith in the knight. She had taken worse than that, though he had to admit seeing her kingdom destroyed may distract her, as well. But when he looked up to see how she fared, she glanced down only for a second. He felt that connection again. He had to keep searching.
 
Moving farther from the fountain, Seth looked along one of the nooks that held a statue of Sith's father. It was well-sheltered. If Sceppiro was injured, he may have hidden there. Except that he wasn't there. All Seth found was another corpse, this one of another vampire who had died in the raging inferno, his sensitive skin unable to handle the bright light. He backed away, and at Bakura's questioning stare, he shook his head. They would have no luck there. Bakura just sighed. Sceppiro really could be anywhere within the castle. The problem would be avoiding the fire to get to him. Or his corpse. There was still the ever-lingering occurrence that he was dead.
 
“Where do we go next?” Bakura asked him, as they stalked away from the nook, heading toward the other side. Seth, in honesty, didn't know how he could answer. They were basically looking for a needle in a haystack. But he had to do something. He pointed toward another dark corner, blocked off by a stone pillar that had fallen and slid on its side. There was no fire from it; Sceppiro would be safe, if he was there.
 
“Check there,” he replied, “I'm going to see if I can get to the upper floors.” Bakura had gone forward, but stopped immediately at that notion. He highly doubted Sceppiro was there, and there'd be only one other reason to head up to the second floor. He looked at Seth carefully, judgingly. He knew what Seth would be planning.
 
“Do not interfere,” he said warningly, “Come help me.” Seth just sighed. He was going to help Sith, yes, but he also was curious to see if somehow, Sceppiro had gotten to the second floor. It wouldn't have been impossible, but it was highly unlikely. He had to concede that fact. Sighing, he followed Bakura to the corner he had pointed out just a moment before. It was infinitely cooler as they approached; the fire didn't appear to be able to penetrate the shadows, much less drive them away completely. Seth found that to be rather odd to see. Bakura grimly took a step forward, taking a torch off the nearby pillar. It lit only a few feet forward.
 
“Anything?” Seth whispered, looking behind the thief's shoulder. Bakura's eyes narrowed. There was nothing there, of course, but he did notice the shadows gave off an oppressive feeling, as though if he were to set foot in it, he would be trapped for eternity in that corner, unable to leave or even see out. He turned to the priest gravely.
 
“Nothing physical, if that's what you mean,” he replied. Seth just tilted his head curiously. “The shadows are giving off a very interesting feel.” Unfortunately, that only confused Seth further. He stepped forward and placed his hand into the shadows. And immediately, he reached away. His hand felt ice cold, even though the fire should've easily dispersed such temperature.
 
“What in the seven levels of hell!?” the priest exclaimed, brows creasing as he stared at the flames, “It's cold as the winds of Nesce!”
 
“If we were even in Nesce, I'm sure Sith would've said that they are the very winds of it,” Bakura replied, almost amused with the comparison. Then he became more grave, “But since we are not… this is particularly disturbing.”
 
“What do you think it is?” Seth asked, glancing at the older thief quizzically, “Magic?” Bakura had no doubt of that; Aeroglyph itself was made of magic, and the castle couldn't have been an exception. But what form of magic was what worried him. Only a few could produce a shadow so thick. And the Esper magic wasn't one of them. He sighed and looked up at Sith. She was still exchanging quick blows, but he noticed her parries became slower, less precise. She was tiring quickly, but Rath was more than a match for her counters. They had little time. He turned from the shadow, and spotted Sceppiro across the hall. He had been half buried in the slight shadows of the looming staircases. Quickly, Bakura took Seth's arm and dragged him toward the fallen king.
 
“This way!” was all he shouted when Seth put up even the tiniest bit of resistance. Seth looked, and as they neared, saw that Sceppiro was badly injured. One of the man's wings had snapped off, and there was blood on his coat. But he was alive. He was breathing, albeit raggedly. Seth knelt as Bakura picked up a large chunk of the banister that had fallen and heaved it away. Sceppiro's skin felt cold despite the fires around them.
 
“Damn it, we're going to lose him,” Seth growled, trying to remember the words reserved only for the strongest of healing spells. But they wouldn't come. In the moments of fear that were blooming all around, the priest couldn't remember a single word! He cursed again, wishing he had the scrolls with him this time. Sceppiro wouldn't respond to a lesser spell, and they couldn't move him too much without causing further harm. But they had to do something or he would die. Then what would Sith have left to fight for? Bakura turned and looked at the king. He didn't have much time, either.
 
“Do you have any potions or tinctures?” the thief asked, but unfortunately, Seth didn't carry such things on him. Not when they could shatter in the matter of a second. Bakura sighed. Then he looked up at Sith again. He didn't want to know how badly she was hurt, either. Seth knew no spells that could be used… but she did. She was their chance to save Sceppiro, but she was still contending with Rath. Bakura looked at Seth and said, “We have to get Sith to heal him!” The priest just looked up at him, brow raised.
 
“First you tell me not to help her and now you're saying we need to get her? Make your mind, thief!” Seth exclaimed shortly. Bakura stood up, looking up through the hole in the ceiling. As he did, he saw another chunk of it give way. If Rath didn't kill Sith, the ceiling just might.
 
“I told you not to interfere because it'd be stupid and wouldn't help her,” Bakura told him quickly, grimly, “But now it's a different story. Without her brother, Sith has no reason to fight for her kingdom. It's all but crumbled now. This is for her as well as for us.” Seth considered that. Sceppiro would definitely find a way to help them all, but would they even have the time to get up there and help Sith out? Judging by the state of the ceiling, by which another fiery chunk was laid to waste, they had little. He turned to Bakura and nodded.
 
“Then let's get our asses up there and help her out,” the priest replied. Neither wasted time. Making sure that Sceppiro would be safe from harm, they laid him in a corner where little heat would get to him, yet they could still see him. Then they both made for the stairs, Bakura jumping three at a time as Seth climbed the perilous rise. Many of the stairs sagged as stones from pillars and walls alike were smashed along them, and the carpets kept the embers from the fire alive. But as they rose, the smoke thinned. At least they knew Sith wouldn't be distracted by inhalation. Or die by it, either.
 
Bakura took the lead when they reached the top step. It took one jump to clear the landing, and another leap to clear the banister, and he finally stood in the doorway of the audience chamber. It was the mightiest battlefield he had ever witnessed; even hell would be hard-pressed to compete. The fires burned brightest within that room, so much that everything, save for the two mighty forces of power themselves, were aflame. He could smell the burning stone, the cinder, the melting of crystal as their swords clashed, flashing to reflect each wave of a single flame. And he could see, above else, the red tint the fires lent. It brightened the room, including the horrible fight that was ensuing.
 
Sith wasn't doing well, either. Bakura saw at once that her right arm had been struck, hanging uselessly by her side as she tried her best to parry and strike with only her left hand. But her sword was just too long for her now. Her movements were slow, almost sloppy. It was only her agility that allowed her to evade each swipe of Rath's unholy blade. And even that hadn't been enough to save her right arm. Finally, her wings began to grow sore. This was becoming too much for even her, even the knight of the pharaoh. Even the queen of Nesce. She landed, practically kneeling in exhaustion as she panted for oxygen. In this damned heat, oxygen was merely a luxury. She had no strength to quench the flames.
 
“Had enough, little cousin?” Rath asked her, descending too quickly for Sith to say but a word. The woman's only response was a shattering clang as she put up her sword for deflection. And with just one hand, it wasn't enough. The blade went flying from Sith's fingers, and fell through the hole, to the floor below. Rath laughed as she said, “You're nearly done.”
 
“Do not ever underestimate me again,” Sith growled, though she knew Rath's words held more than a spark of truth to them, “My family's power is more than that of any Esper. You were a fool to try and kill us all.”
 
“Are you forgetting we share the same blood?” Rath asked her, almost mocking as she said, “The same blood that killed your mother and father? And the same blood that will spill from your brother's veins as well?”
 
YOU ARE NOT MY FAMILY!” Sith roared in response, strength renewed with anger as she leapt up, “You are a traitor! A murderer! And when you die, rest assured that I will personally send your ashes scattering to the farthest planes of Oblivion! You will rue the day you opened Oblivion up!” For all her speed, however, Sith was powerless. Without a sword, she couldn't even touch Rath. Rath laughed hysterically, batting the woman aside without so much as a sweat to her brow.
 
“Oh, will I?” she countered, and laughed, “I should think not. When Oblivion takes this world, I will rid myself of you, as well as those dragons!” Sith halted. She hadn't considered that at all. Now it made more sense, why she hadn't attacked them for so long. She wasn't afraid of them; she was waiting for them all to gather. To slaughter them, just as she would a pack of sheep. Sith's eye twitched.
 
“So then it is true. There are evil Espers,” she whispered, but Bakura had a feeling she wasn't speaking to Rath, “Evil… exists in our race. For all of this time, I wanted to believe you mad. I prayed you were. But you are not. You are evil.”
 
“She just figured that out?” Seth whispered, but Bakura nudged him to keep his mouth closed. Sith's eyes hardened as she stared at her cousin, and Bakura felt vibrations stir all around them, as though the castle itself was closing in from her hatred. He had never felt such a powerful emotion from Sith before.
 
“You are evil,” Sith repeated, and then her voice became unnaturally loud, “YOU ARE EVIL!!” Bakura didn't know how those words affected Rath, but they did. Her face distorted into chaos, as she screamed, lunging at Sith. Sith flew to the side, grabbing her sword as she forced herself into a roll to brace the crash to the floor. Rath skidded, and dove the opposite way. Sith was faster still, and leapt off the walls in time. They collided in a flurry of sword attacks, steel ringing out in all directions as they went on in new fury. Bakura and Seth backed away, knowing they could be caught if they didn't.
 
“What is happening!?” Seth demanded harshly, as Rath let out another scream, “What did Sith do!?”
 
“You feel it too?” Bakura asked, and when Seth nodded, he said, “She uncovered the truth to Rath. There was no excuse, no empathy, and no emotion when she said it. She uncovered it plainly to Rath. So much so that there was no way to deny it.” Seth looked down at Sith. She didn't even flinch as Rath came at her, even as she was forced to parry with her injured arm. All he heard was a grunt of effort, but Sith didn't slow. Seth just smiled. That was truly what a knight was made of. Determination. And she was more than determined to win.
 
“Think it shook Rath up enough for her to lose?” the priest asked with a grin. But Bakura wasn't as joyous for the radical pace. In fact, Seth saw the thief now looked more grim than ever. It caused his own smile to fade rapidly. Bakura knew something.
 
“The opposite. I'm quite sure it's fueled her to try and kill Sith even quicker now,” the thief replied darkly, “Poor girl's already injured. If her other arm tires, she's through.” Seth realized with terror that Bakura was right. And even worse, the two had gone downward, where the fire was ever stronger. Where neither thief nor priest could aid Sith. Seth cursed, and turned to head out the door. As much as he disliked Sith, he refused to let it end with her death. Bakura rushed to try and stop him, but Seth was too fast. He was already rushing down the steps as Bakura came out into the hall. Bakura just cursed. Now was not the time for Seth to show his loyalty or morality, so of course the priest would choose to help Sith out at that time.
 
“Rath, come and fight us!” Seth yelled as he reached the bottom step. But his voice was drowned out, the two women fighting with a speed he could have only dreamed to accomplish. Still, Rath had heard him. At the very least, she saw him, and she broke from Sith. Sith froze, confused as to why Rath would suddenly abandon the battle. Then, she too saw Seth. Her mouth dropped open. Rath was diving right for him, sword tip aimed for his heart. And she was in no position to even be able to help him.
 
NO!” she screamed, flying after her cousin. But her wings seemed to move just so slowly! For every foot she went, Rath sped up another two. Tears came to Sith's eyes. If she didn't do something, Seth would be killed. “PRIEST SETH, RUN!” But Seth didn't run. As Rath neared, he smiled, and right when she was upon him, he dove to the side in a sharp roll. The velocity with which Rath went took her too far; she smashed into the banister and tumbled headfirst into the wall before she could even slow herself down.
 
Bakura heard the crash and came running as fast as he could down the stairs, jumping the banister where Rath had completely destroyed it. But to his relief, as he hit the floor, he saw Sith was perfectly fine. Perhaps not so; she had many injuries and her right hand was utterly limp. But she was alive and well. Seth had tumbled and had made himself dizzy with his maneuver, but he survived. And he managed to daze Rath, too. As Bakura turned and saw Rath half-sticking out of a wall, he just laughed. The priest was just as crafty as he, in his own way.
 
“Well, now, that's a move I'd make!” the thief exclaimed proudly, as Seth stood. The two clasped each other's hand in greeting, and then Bakura turned and nodded to Sith, smiling, “Glad to see you both are well. I'd hate to be the pharaoh, should neither of you have made it.”
 
“That was a bigger risk than necessary, boys,” Sith commented, though not ungratefully, “For a second, I was worried she may just kill both of you.” Bakura looked away and blushed in embarrassment, but Seth just snorted, rolling his eyes as he stepped toward her.
 
“You seem to think that just because I'm a priest, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to a fight,” he said, both amused and offended at the same time. Sith merely regarded him with narrowed eyes. Her mouth turned in a mocking sort of smile.
 
“That would be because most of the time, you don't,” she reminded him flatly. Then she sheathed her blade, turning to look up at the giant hole she had created when she ambushed Rath. She couldn't help but sigh. She just destroyed her own front entrance. Shaking her head, almost unable to believe her own stupidity on that, she glanced back and asked, “What possessed you both to come storming down here like an angry army, anyway?” Both Seth and Bakura exchanged glances. In the rush of worry for the knight, they'd both forgotten why they'd gone to help her at all. Then, Seth saw Sceppiro in the corner, and remembered: the king needed his sister. He relayed this to her quickly, leading her to where they kept her brother. By then, the fire was nearly extinguished, and the light from it faded. But Sith didn't need the light to see the state of her brother. Her eyes widened as she cried, “Sceppiro!?”
 
“I'm sorry, knight Sith. I tried to help him, but I couldn't remember any of the words for the greater healing spells,” Seth said, kneeling next to her. But she seemed not to hear him. She was focused entirely upon her brother. His wounds were many, and his breathing shallow. Taking a deep breath, Sith began her work.
 
“Curaeto das Gaertr Haelt,” she whispered, and Seth looked at her, knowing fully that if he tried to pronounce half of that, he'd end up failing. He looked down at Sceppiro again. Light enveloped the Esper king, a greenish glow splashing onto the man's face. The wounds he endured seemed to be healing themselves, closing up and mending as though nothing had harmed him. And as he opened his eyes, he saw his sister looking down at him. He smiled. And he wiped her tears away.
 
“I'm okay, little sister,” he said gently. But it wasn't enough to keep Sith from breaking down. She cried and sobbed, burying her face in Sceppiro's coat. And all the king could do was pat her head to try and calm her down.
 
“I was sure… that she had killed you,” Sith whispered, finally looking up at him as he sat up, “So sure… that I would have killed myself after I killed her.” Sceppiro let out a long sigh, shaking his head. That sounded so like his little sister. He didn't doubt her words for a minute. He looked at Seth and Bakura. Both men seemed at a loss to say anything to either Esper. He smiled weakly to let them know everything was okay. Then he pulled Sith away and looked down at her. She looked so vastly different in her despair. Though whether that was from her fight, or from true sadness, Sceppiro couldn't say.
 
“You wouldn't have brought yourself to do it without proof,” he replied gently, and then looked around when he realized that indeed, Rath was nowhere to be found, “…where is Rath? Did you truly kill her?” Sith sniffled, and then shook her head. Sceppiro heard Seth snort, and then looked at the priest questioningly. Seth just pointed to the wall behind them, and Sceppiro turned. And then he laughed. Rath was there, but her head had gone right through the wall. As her legs kicked furiously, trying and failing to free herself, Sceppiro asked, “Should I even bother to know?”
 
“Stupidity sums it up about right,” Seth replied with a chuckle. Then he helped the two Espers up, looking around the destroyed entrance as Sith wiped the dust from her clothes, “…sorry about your castle, by the way.”
 
“We would've redecorated,” Sceppiro replied with a shrug, “Now then, should we head out?” Seth nodded in agreement, but as he turned, he thought he heard a malicious laugh somewhere within the room. He glanced around, but nothing stirred. At least, nothing in front of him. He suddenly turned back, and heard that laugh again. His eyes narrowed.
 
“She's not dead yet,” he mumbled, and no sooner had he finished when Rath pulled herself free, sending a spray of dust and stone toward them. She turned to them slowly, and a feral smile flashed across her face. Blood ran down, as some of the stone had cut into her, but she ignored it. She hadn't been hurt too badly. And now she had them all in one place.
 
“Correct,” she replied calmly. But her voice did anything but calm them down. Shivers ran down Seth's spine. He had thought such a blow to the head would've at least dazed the mad woman for a little while longer; on a normal human, they'd have had their skulls bashed right in. But Rath wasn't even human. She was no longer even an Esper. She looked like a monster waiting in its lair to kill. And considering their circumstances, that was possibly the case.
 
“How the hell can she possibly fight when she's losing all of that blood?” Bakura whispered to Sith, whose hand twitched at the touch of her sword's hilt. Sith's lips thinned.
 
“She's neither Esper nor human. There's a chance the only thing keeping her alive is the magic that entered her when she opened Oblivion into this world,” the woman whispered back, and then to Rath she said, “If it's a fight you want, rest assured we aim to serve it.” Rath just laughed. She knew in a fight, she wouldn't last against the combined forces of Sith, Sceppiro, and Bakura. Her plan to kill them without moving had failed her miserably. Now she had one more trick up her sleeve. But she had no intention of letting Sith see it. Her grin grew.
 
“I already know I wouldn't win,” Rath replied, and Sith's eyes just hardened, “No, a fight wouldn't serve me well. But that doesn't mean you can walk out alive.” Sith and Seth exchanged nervous glances, wondering just what Rath was saying. Sceppiro raised a brow, not understanding, either. He asked the question that Sith hadn't spoken.
 
“If you will not fight, and you cannot win, how is it we'd lose?” he asked. Rath said nothing. But her hand moved fractionally. And Sith caught it. In alarm, Sith drew her sword. Bakura understood, and the two rushed over, Bakura going behind to disarm Rath as Sith lunged forward, her sword's tip stopping just inches from the woman's gray neck. Bakura discovered, in Rath's hands, a small blinking device with a single button on it. It looked harmless enough. But that never meant it was. He looked at Rath furiously.
 
“What in the seven levels of hell is this!?” he demanded angrily, “Answer me, damn it!” Sith gestured for Bakura to hand it to her, which he did. She caught it in her weakened hand, and looked at it carefully. She knew the device; it wasn't from this world, nor was it from her own, but she knew what it was. She glanced from the bomb, to her cousin. Her face told Bakura clearly that what he confiscated would've ended their lives, had he acted slower.
 
“A bomb,” she growled, and turned to Rath, “You were going to destroy the entire castle! Then what? Wait for Nesce to crumble when it's all said and done!? Why the hell would you do this!? What are you trying to do!?”
 
“If you don't already know, knight Sith, this was to destroy you,” Seth explained, and Sith looked back at him, eyes widening in bewilderment, “This was never about Aeroglyph or Egypt. Rath used both sides for her own game.”
 
“And what a truly magnificent job she did, too,” Bakura spat sarcastically, “So, Sith, what do we do? We kill her?” Sith's eyes narrowed. That wouldn't be enough for what Rath had caused, both to her and her kingdoms. That wouldn't seal Oblivion back up. And that certainly wouldn't return the castle back to Aeroglyph. She shook her head. Rath deserved fates worse than death. But Sith couldn't be the one to decide that. Her fist clenched around the bomb.
 
“Damned be it, I'd love nothing more than to kill her right now,” the younger woman growled, “But what knight would I be if I bloodied my sword the same way she soiled my kingdom?” Seth bit his lip. That was a good point, and he understood just how torn Sith felt about this. Rath couldn't be allowed to live. He patted her back. There was only one option she'd accept.
 
“We let the pharaoh decide,” he concluded, and she nodded grimly. She couldn't be certain what Atemu's verdict would be, but she had a feeling he'd put Rath to death. And if not he, then certainly Bahamut. She turned to Bakura.
 
“If you can hold her, we can get outside and chain her,” she said. Bakura nodded, but even as Rath struggled, his hold was too great for her. He could only smile. Then he saw Sceppiro backing away, a look of absolute terror plastered on the man's face. Bakura's head tilted. Something was actually frightening the king, but no one could understand what it could've been. Rath couldn't hurt him… except that when Sith looked back at her, she saw that Rath wasn't even upset at the prospect of judgment. Rath was still smiling, her feral grin exposing her sharp fangs. Even Sith was unnerved to see it. By all sanity, Rath should have been scared.
 
“What evil are you planning?” Sith demanded quietly, but Seth screamed, and pointed to one of Rath's hands. It had gone into her cloak. Bakura realized too late that she wasn't struggling to break free; she was reaching to retrieve something. And he knew what it was. He saw just one blinking button.
 
BOMB!” he screamed, and they scattered. Bakura pushed Rath to the floor, knowing he couldn't take the bomb from her before she set it off. But that didn't matter to any of them. They just had to get out, to get off the floating castle before she pressed it. They had only minutes. As Sith pulled Seth along, Sceppiro following them both, she threw fireballs at anything that could topple to try and contain the damage as much as possible. Pillars fell behind them, closing Rath in. But the insane woman didn't appear to care; she began laughing, a laughter that was filled with such evil and hatred, it sounded completely inhuman. Seth actually shivered. Such a sound froze his blood right in his veins. It was only because of Sith that he knew he hadn't died right on the spot. She forced him to keep moving.
 
“She had another bomb the whole time!?” he managed to say as they passed the front doors. Already, they could hear that Rath had begun the terrible countdown. They heard a small explosion as they rushed into the abandoned court. At the very least, they saw that everyone else had already fled, hopefully back to Egypt. But that left them there, alone. Sith cursed.
 
“The pharaoh is safe, but Rath will get her wish regardless!” the woman cried in anguish, “We're stranded!”
 
“They seriously left us!?” Bakura cried, and looked around, hoping to find something to aid them before they were killed. But there was nothing. And both dragons indeed departed. The thief couldn't believe it. They'd been abandoned! Seth turned immediately to Sith. There was only one thing they could do now. He had no idea if she could, but he had to suggest it. Their lives were going to end soon. He might as well make an ass of himself one last time.
 
“Knight, we need you to turn into a dragon again!” he said quickly, “Please, can you do it!?” But by the startled look on her face, it was clear Sith couldn't. She had used too much power already, and Seth knew he had pushed his luck. But then Sceppiro stepped in. He walked up toward the middle of the court, chanting a spell as he went. Wind roared around them, and even with the explosions inside the castle, it was still roaring higher. The sunlight grew strong, just as it had when Bahamut had morphed. Both Seth and Sith shielded their eyes, and when they heard a familiar roar of a dragon, they knew Sceppiro succeeded. The dragon turned his head toward his very little sister as she opened her eyes. Her mouth dropped. Sceppiro had some tricks of his own, after all.
 
`Hop on and hang tight,' Sceppiro said through a growl. Sith didn't hesitate. With one move, she grabbed Seth's wrist and heaved him high into the air. He screamed, and noticed Bakura was watching in sheer awe as he flew through the air. He landed safely upon Sceppiro's scaly back, and looked down just in time to see Sith leaping up quickly to his side. Bakura shrugged, and began climbing to join them. When they were safe, Sceppiro roared again, unfurled his large wings, and leapt off the courtyard, into the sky. It had been a frantic take off, but now he was sure they'd escape. And he was sure he could make it to Egypt.
 
And it was then that the castle of Aeroglyph blew up in a torrent of raging fire, catching them all in its searing fury. And all that sounded, even above the wind and fire, was the laughter of the most deepest insanity. The laughter of a monster who had just killed their most troublesome prey. The laughter of a madman who had completed a spell so vile, that just to see the words would have sent him down the spiral of destruction. The laughter of Rath Winchester.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
After seeing that Sith and Sceppiro are well after the battle between Sith and Rath, Seth and his three allies finally appeared to have caught the horrible monster that unleashed the threat of evil into their worlds. But Rath had more than just tricks of her sleeves, and now Seth is forced to make a hasty escape. Caught in the fires of Rath's last ditch move, will Seth live to see through his most magical adventure? Or is it over for our favorite priest? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!