Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Seth's Magical Adventure! ❯ One Last Little Problem ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Takahashi does. He wants to know if Espers really existed.
 
News of the construction of the new Esper settlement, Saffernheist, spread through the kingdom like wildfire over the next few weeks, and Seth found it increasingly difficult not to hear about Sith and her brother. Not that he minded, since he did want to know if she was all right, but after a while, it was annoying to even sit through breakfast; even Atemu talked constantly about materials and trading. The only good news was that Bakura wasn't around the palace as much. Most of his time was spent with Sith, overseeing construction. Seth was perfectly fine with that.
 
But on this morning, Seth had been persistently woken up before the crack of dawn by a servant whom he was sure was just asking for a good beating. Grumpily, he stumbled out of his bed and heard frantic pounding on the door. And just as grumpily, he threw his robes on haphazardly. They looked disheveled and rumpled from being shoved on the floor. He didn't even bother putting his headdress on before opening the door. Not that it'd have done any good. The servant was obnoxious. Seth would need to remind him that servants were for helping and that being obnoxious was for the peasants. He opened the door.
 
“What in hell is your problem!?” he demanded through clenched teeth, “I was sleeping.” His servant was a young, bright-eyed man of about twenty-two, with blonde hair. In other words, a bumbling moron who wasn't even from Egypt. How wonderful.
 
“Sorry, master Seth, but I heard the pharaoh was downstairs waiting for you,” the servant replied, holding a tray with a mug of herbal tea. It smelled more like boiled dirt. Seth grumbled, rubbing his eyes until he fully processed what was just said. Then his eyes widened.
 
“Wait… what!?” he exclaimed, “What did you say!?”
 
“The pharaoh's in the court, waiting for you,” the servant repeated, his smile vanishing instantly. Then he yelped as Seth grabbed his shoulders, brows creasing in irritation.
 
Why!?” came the brisk demand. The servant shivered; he obviously didn't expect such a harsh response. Seth let him go and stepped back, taking a deep breath. Then he asked, more softly, “Why is he waiting for me?” The servant blinked, and then slowly relaxed, realizing Seth wasn't going to hurt him.
 
“I don't know, sir,” he replied, bowing, “Something about a settlement in the northern expense.” Seth immediately grumbled. He should've guessed. Turning, he shook his head and put his headdress on. Then, without so much as a thank you, he stormed past the bewildered servant and headed into the hallway. It was still very early, and not even the other priests were up yet. Barely any of the torches were lit, for one thing. Seth ignored it all and walked past; even if it was the dead of night, he'd have to traverse the hallway if the pharaoh was waiting for him. He just wished he knew what the hell was going on.
 
Ten minutes and many twisting hallways later, Seth found himself outside in the courtyard. The sky was barely lightening in the horizon; there were still many torches lit in the court to provide adequate lighting. He could barely understand what was so important that he'd be woken up so early. He barely set foot one step before another servant came, this time with a horse. The horse was a grey one that Seth was sure should've been put down years ago, but had somehow miraculously lived through Shaddah's usual inspections. Its eyes, however, were bright and alert despite its dull, grey coat. The servant handed him the reins, smiling.
 
“Safe ride, master Seth,” she said with a bow, and disappeared into the darkness. Seth grumbled again, grunting as he climbed onto the old mare's back. Likewise, the horse snorted with distaste too. Seth glared down at it.
 
“Like I like this any more than you!” he snapped angrily, and shook his head again, “For Ra's sake, why can't the pharaoh bug Knight Sith about this!? It's her settlement!”
 
“What if he already did?” came a voice Seth never thought he'd hear in open court. The priest quickly turned, and saw Bakura, his horse trotting over to him slowly. He had his veil pulled tight this morning. But his grin was clearly visible. “Morning, priest.”
 
“Of all the people… Bakura, what are you doing here?” Seth asked him pointedly, raising a curious brow. It wasn't a secret that Bakura was considered a part of the court now, but he wasn't a frequent participator of it, either. In fact, the last thing Seth remembered, he was supposed to be helping Sith with Saffernheist. He was a long way away from that. But Bakura wasn't bothered by that slight inconsistency.
 
“I'm escorting the pharaoh, of course,” the thief replied easily. If Seth's mouth didn't drop from the servant, it dropped now. Bakura? Escorting the PHARAOH!? Just being considered an ally was pushing it, but to walk among their beloved king! Just where was Atemu's judgment going?
 
You!?” Seth asked, his voice barely going above a whisper. Bakura laughed and nodded his head. Shadows from the torches flickered across his face.
 
“Sith asked me to,” he replied calmly, neither smug nor sarcastic, “She wants to know what he thinks of their building capacity. And she needs help. None of the Espers can craft from limestone or sand.” Seth wanted to know why she'd even think Atemu would know how, but he didn't ask. The king would've needed to venture out there, anyway. The only question in his mind was why it involved him. Seth asked this, and Bakura shrugged and said, “I have no idea. Maybe she's still mad about you throwing her into the fire.” Seth growled, wishing Bakura hadn't brought that up. It seemed like an eternity since that happened. Hell, it seemed like forever since Rath was defeated. He shrugged.
 
“Somehow, that wouldn't surprise me,” Seth said slowly. And it was the truth, too. As calm as Sith was, there was always a level of vengeance to her that made Seth not want to be on her bad side. But of course, that was an impossible endeavor; just making Sith angry was sometimes enough to put you in her bad favor. Seth put that thought aside, however, remembering that the servant had said Atemu was about. He couldn't even see the pharaoh. Raising a brow, he asked, “Isn't the pharaoh here?”
 
“He's over there,” Bakura replied easily, jerking a thumb behind him. Seth squinted and barely saw the horse's outline; Atemu was silhouetted in shadow, making it all but impossible to see him. But he was there, and the answer was good enough for Seth. He turned from the shadows, toward the north. Daylight was just barely beginning to break through the northern horizon, casting a light haze far to the distance. Were Espers even awake at this ungodly hour?
 
“Is anyone else coming along?” Seth decided to ask, hoping that someone could share his unfair fate with him. Unfortunately, Bakura shook his head, and his easy grin returned. He seemed to enjoy Seth's silent torment.
 
“Just the three of us, old bean,” the thief said jokingly, but again, the smugness was what caught Seth. He did not trust Bakura, no matter how helpful he'd been against Rath. They had shared a common goal then; now, who knew just what the thief was even thinking? But he had sworn loyalty to Sith, and she was known for straightening criminals. And guards. And pretty much anyone who didn't initially agree with her. Seth now worried about his chances of even getting out of the gate alive.
 
“Oh goody,” he grumbled, eyes narrowing in annoyance.
 
“Hey, you're acting like I wanted this!” Bakura exclaimed in a harsh whisper, “It wasn't my idea to bring you, priest. But both Sith and the pharaoh suggested it, so if you don't want my dagger up your ass, don't complain!” Seth grumbled further. Who was Bakura to be ordering him around? He wanted to ask that, but at that point, Atemu was already coming down the walkway at a slow trot, and the guard beside him let the horse's reins go. A serene smile was upon the king's face. Traveling with Bakura obviously wasn't a concern of his.
 
“Good morning, Seth. Bakura,” he greeted them kindly, almost too good-naturedly, “How are they?” Bakura's grin turned genuine now, and his body relaxed at the pharaoh's easy tone. He nodded.
 
“They're good. Sith's getting tired, and she's calling the shots, but they're fine,” the thief replied calmly, “But they're having trouble with limestone. No one aside from Sith's ever encountered it, and they don't know how to work with it. Their tools are designed for ore and crystal, and they've had a few shatter when they tried excavating the stone.” Atemu's face blanched a bit. He probably should've warned Sith about the lack of pure crystal in his kingdom, but she seemed to have found out the hard way. And probably the most expensive way, too. A nervous laugh escaped him. She might not be too happy to see him if she lost a lot of equipment.
 
“How mad is she?” he risked, and Bakura laughed.
 
“Pretty mad, but she doesn't entirely blame you,” the older man said, “As long as the other Espers don't try excavating it anymore, she should be fine. But her tools were delicate, and with Nesce in ruins, there's no way to forge more until they can go and get the metals needed.” Atemu's face paled further. He hoped she had enough tools, then. Making a forge for her wasn't a problem; but getting the right material was, mainly because the metal Espers used wasn't even in Atemu's world. He shivered, and decided it best not to think too much on that. There was very little he could've done to solve the problem, anyway.
 
“We'd better go and see her, then,” the young king sighed, turning his horse toward the gate. He didn't add that he didn't want to be near her if she was angry, and wondered if the other two knew that regardless. Without a word or question of protest, the three of them spurred their horses out of the courtyard and through the gates, with Seth taking only a brief glance back at the palace.
 
Seth wasn't surprised to find the streets of the city entirely empty. It was barely daybreak, after all. The torches from the palace walls provided light for the first few streets, but eventually, when that wound down, the city seemed to be plunged in darkness as the sun took its time to rise. The horizon was still a light blue in the far distance, but for the present, the city looked abandoned. No shop was open, and the taverns were closed from the previous night. Seth looked around, trying to find some form of life other than themselves. Despite being unsurprised, seeing the city so quiet disconcerted him.
 
“What an hour to be up!” he finally said in an attempt to break the silence, “What is this, my king, a new record?”
 
“Hey, I've been up a lot earlier than this,” Bakura countered flatly, before Atemu could answer the priest, “Even without the usual activity, this place is livelier than Kul Elna.” Seth raised an amused brow. He was pretty sure any place, save for a cemetery or tomb, would be livelier than the old thief village. He snorted as they rode along the main path.
 
“With all due respects, thief, Kul Elna's nothing more than a burial for corpses,” Seth retorted, with too much smugness for Atemu's comfort. Normally, Bakura would've stopped right there and dragged the priest off his horse for that, but he shrugged it away. He learned nothing Seth said would hurt him if he ignored it. Which he did. Almost.
 
“So is the Valley of the Kings and I'm not slandering it, am I?” was the curt response. Seth promptly shut up, knowing the thief held a good point. After that, nothing more was said as they rode through the silent metropolis. Atemu looked around with wonder, knowing that this was the most intimate inspection of his fair kingdom that he'd ever have; every building and alley would pass by his inquisitive eye, and neither his father nor Sith were there to haul him away from it, either. If he so much as wanted to stop and look for three hours, he knew he could. Bakura, on the other hand, seemed much less impressed with the scene unfolding before them. He glanced around occasionally, noting when his favorite tavern was closed or when a shop he `frequented' was locked. But other than that, he merely regarded the silence as Ra's way of saying `this is for you, later.'
 
Seth's view, however, was the most distorted of all three. He couldn't help but wonder what was hiding in every shadow, every unseen corner they passed, and couldn't stop glancing back occasionally in anticipation. Nothing ever stirred. And he knew nothing would. But the past few months of dealing with Rath had paranoid him, and he knew this too. Even with her death, he felt as though she haunted him. Haunted all of them, to be more correct. Even Sith seemed afraid that she had somehow escaped the eternity of death. But there was nothing there, and it was more and more clear that Bakura took notice of Seth's cautiousness. He snorted at one point when they passed a particularly shadowed alley, and a cat running across the street startled Seth.
 
“Just what in hell are you looking for, Seth?” he finally asked, morbid curiosity getting the better of just being an ass.
 
“…nothing,” Seth said after a moment. He had watched the cat, but it had escaped into another alley and didn't come back out. It was just a cat. Bakura gave the priest a worried glance, seeming to understand exactly what he was doing, and then turned around.
 
“You're scared too, eh?” he asked calmly, and Seth stopped, looking at him squarely. Just what did he mean by that? Seth asked him that, and he said plainly, “You're not convinced Rath's gone, either.”
 
“You think she's still alive?” Seth whispered. Atemu finally stopped to see what was going on with them, and saw Bakura nodding grimly. He trotted over to the both of them, listening to their exchange.
 
“Sith says she isn't, but I think she's convincing herself of that instead of knowing it's the truth,” Bakura told them both seriously, “And she's doing a shitty job. But she's the only one with this doubt - aside from me, of course.” Seth and Atemu exchanged worried glances now. In the past three months since Rath's defeat, the worry of her return had never come up. At least, not near the palace. They both realized that anyone who had been under the mad woman's rule for any time feared her return. And how warranted that fear was! Atemu glanced at Bakura.
 
You think she's alive,” he repeated after Seth, but this time it wasn't a question: it was a fact. Bakura nodded again.
 
“Sith and I have talked about it, and it's not an impossible thing for Rath,” he told them, “We didn't see her die in the fire.”
 
“But we saw the citadel crumble! It was blown apart!” Seth interrupted, his voice high with alarm and conviction, “Anything inside was killed! Turned to ash! Sith even said so!” Bakura turned to him gently, and for once the priest saw compassion in the thief's eyes. He didn't want to be right. But his tone said clearly, he knew he was.
 
“Sith has her doubts,” Bakura continued, “Nesce is infected with evil energy. The citadel being destroyed may have destroyed a portal point, but no one can even get in. There's too much darkness to see. If Rath was killed, it should've been dissipated.” Seth's eyes widened and his mouth dropped. The damned bitch hadn't been killed, after all. He shook his head, unable to believe it. Rath, alive! He saw the flames. He saw the explosion. But he also heard the insane laughter. That wasn't the sound of a dying woman.
 
“It… it can't be,” he whispered in utter defeat. After all of this, after Egypt was nearly destroyed, their greatest enemy was still alive. Bakura's grim expression didn't falter, but Seth saw the corners of his mouth curl upwards into a cynical smile. He looked dark, almost evil himself.
 
“The good news is, if she is alive, she's not coming back for a long time,” Bakura assured him, “But the bad news is, Nesce is infected and no one knows how to stop it. At this rate, no Esper or human can even get inside without being killed or possessed. And they're worried about sending Sith in.”
 
“Because right now she's their leader,” Seth reasoned, and Bakura nodded, “And if she dies…”
 
“Then no one aside from Sceppiro will be able to rule, and he doesn't trust himself like he trusts his sister,” Bakura finished, hitting the nail on the head. Seth looked down, and Atemu seemed equally as afraid now. Rath was still a threat, albeit a small one, and merely a trace so. He took a deep breath, looking toward the sky. Daybreak was coming soon, now. And with it, the reassurance of the sun. He felt that, underneath it, no harm could come to them. He flicked his horse's reins.
 
“Let's go and see her, then,” he said sternly, “Sith will clear all of this up.” Neither Seth nor Bakura protested, though both knew Sith might not be able to assure them of much of anything. They rode off into the desert, leaving by the city's northern gate, which was still deserted at the early hour. Beyond, the quiet sea of sand awaited them.
 
It had taken nearly three days to travel from the metropolis to the coasts along the northern spire where Aeroglyph's castle and the old Lion's Gate used to sit. Now, however, there was barely a trace that could say the kingdom had even existed; the gates and outposts had vanished completely. And though Sith and her tribe had done as best they could to rebuild, their city was a paltry one at best. There were easily no more than a hundred residents, and they all looked exhausted, glum, and depressed. Hope seemed to have fled most of them. Sith was the worst off. She looked older and haggard, but she brightened when she saw Atemu. Quickly, she waved him into what served as her house.
 
It was a simple, wooden cabin. That was the best description Seth could make of it. The only outstanding feature was that it was the only wooden cabin; all other houses were made of stone or, if the Esper was really unlucky, sticks. The furniture was minimal, as well. She had a bed, a table, and four chairs; there was a small hearth at the far left wall, and a locked room toward the side. But the house looked bare. Seth frowned. Had Sith overestimated their chances here? He couldn't say, but before he could question, she beckoned them to sit down in the seats. They were moderately uncomfortable.
 
“How fares it, Sith?” Atemu asked, after a silent moment in the dim room. Sith didn't answer straight away. She took a breath, let out a heavy sigh. The answer wasn't a promising one.
 
“We've done worse than I anticipated, sir,” she finally replied at length, “Rath not only destroyed Aeroglyph, but she's cursed Nesce as well. Our ore, our supplies… we have nothing now. Nothing but our tools, and those are all but useless in the desert. Sir, we are a doomed race.” Atemu's usual smile dropped instantly. Sith had never sounded hopeless before. This was the true power of her evil cousin. She broke his best soldier. He shook his head.
 
“Sith, don't say such things!” he exclaimed, standing up and grabbing her shoulders, forcing her to look at him, “You're a knight to Egypt! Have hope!”
 
“What do you expect of me!?” she demanded sharply, and the king let go of her, “Atemu… my friend, look around. We have food, but nothing more. We can't build without materials… and the ones provided destroy our tools in an instant. Where do we turn?” Atemu looked back at Bakura with worry. He had been here since day one. He had known Sith was in trouble.
 
“Why was I not informed that my friend was in such trouble!?” he demanded of the thief, whose skin paled at his anger.
 
“I did say she needed help,” Bakura replied stiffly, “And I did say Rath destroyed her stuff. Technically, I told the truth.” Atemu's glance turned flat. Be that as it may, he omitted more than a few important facts. If Atemu had known, he'd have brought a caravan loaded to the gills with everything Sith needed. He turned back to Sith.
 
“We'll do whatever we can, my friend. I promise you this,” he told her. For once, she smiled. It was a wistful, sad smile. It pained Atemu to see it.
 
“I was hoping you'd say that, friend,” she replied slyly. Seth blinked, glancing from one to the other. There was a deeper message there, something he knew but couldn't understand yet. Atemu chuckled nervously, but otherwise didn't speak. Several moments passed in that fashion, and finally, Seth had to end it. He didn't go there to play charades.
 
“Knight Sith, what is this crap about Rath still being alive!?” he decided to get blunt with her, “She's supposed to be dead!” Sith looked over at him and nodded in grim agreement. Obviously, she wanted to believe that.
 
“Aye, but some men of great power do not simply die,” she said softly, her lips thin, “We underestimated my cousin's will.”
 
“Are you saying she's alive!?” Seth yelled, well past the point of courtesy. But Sith's patience was great. Tested, tried, but great. She smiled weakly at the priest and beckoned him to sit again. In his anger, he had stood up. He stared at her for a long, hard minute, unable to believe what she was confirming. But slowly, he sat back down. He was tense, but he had obeyed her silent command. It was several moments before she even spoke.
 
“I am not,” she finally replied grimly, belying that gentle smile of hers, “She isn't alive, friends.” Bakura looked over at her quizzically, not understanding her point. If Rath was dead, why was she so afraid. Why had she made him afraid!? He waved a hand airily, leaning on the table.
 
“Sith, if she isn't alive, shouldn't she be dead?” he questioned with a raised brow, “What else could she possibly be!?” Sith let out a sigh and looked away for a moment. Bakura waited for her answer, and visibly he looked calm. But inside, he was trembling. He feared her answer. For he knew there were two modes of life: living and death. But did she know a third one? One that he did not, nor anyone in Egypt, consider to be possible?
 
“Undead,” the woman finally said, and though her voice was quiet, it rang out harshly in the simple log cabin. Seth's mouth dropped; Bakura's eyes widened in horror. Both had heard, had even seen corpses risen beyond death… but no one wanted to confirm it. Even Bakura, who had commanded a score of them himself, had feared what they might have been. Now he knew.
 
“Undead?” Seth repeated quietly, the word cutting the tension in the air like a sword. Sith nodded grimly, folding her hands on the table calmly.
 
“Undead,” she confirmed, “She is neither alive nor dead, but her willpower enables her to transcend life. She is a horrid creature now.” Seth snorted. Now? She was horrid before. Now she was just unbearable. She must be eradicated. But when Seth presented the knight with this statement, she shook her head and said, “We know nothing of where she may be.”
 
“So we let her be? What kind of solution is that!?” Bakura blurted out, unable to believe Sith's idle stance with this, “Sith, what if she destroys Egypt!?”
 
“She will not,” Sith's calm hadn't faltered in the least, “She hasn't the power… yet.” As if that could have possibly comforted them. Bakura shook his head, unable to believe what he was hearing from her. If he were in her shoes, he'd blow his way through the gates of Nesce and destroy every corpse there until he was sure Rath was gone.
 
“Can't you have your uncle blow your way into Nesce and stop her!?” the thief cried out in alarm, “Sith, there must be something!” But he knew he was pushing it. The Espers had nothing left. He couldn't begin to ask them to fight, not when they were this badly off. Sith's visage hardened bitterly. Obviously, she had thought of that many times during the nights.
 
“What you are asking of me is to destroy my kingdom until no one can enter, and I will not do that,” she replied sternly, crossing her arms, “Rath will surface again. That fact is inevitable. But rest assured I will be there to stop her again. That too is inevitable. Why should we put everyone in danger as of now, when the danger cannot be comprehended anyway?” Bakura shut his mouth, unable to answer her question. He didn't want to let Rath live, but he knew storming Nesce would cost thousands their lives. Both Egypt and Nesce suffered too much to be asked to bear that. But Seth wasn't nearly as logical. He pounded his fists on the table angrily, glaring at the knight.
 
“So you would knowingly let this threat fester!?” he demanded, “Damn it, knight, whose side are you on!?” She returned his glare threefold.
 
“I suggest you sit down,” she growled, “I am the leader of the Espers. I must consider my heritage before saving you. If you feel this strongly, Seth, go in and disperse the darkness yourself. But I'll not be throwing my life away for this. Not when I know there's nothing to be done.” Seth looked to Atemu for support, but the pharaoh seemed to agree to what Sith was saying. He too knew the risk that'd come with trying to preempt Rath. She was a powerful foe; she would destroy them all in one sweep, including an exhausted Sith.
 
“What must we do, then?” the pharaoh asked her calmly, but the worry couldn't be shut from his voice completely, “Sith, we must take precautions.” She nodded.
 
“Rebuilding both empires is a good start, but for that, sir, we will need a very solid trade,” she reminded him, “As it stands, we, that is, the Espers, have no way to craft from the stone found in Egypt.” There was a hint that Sith already had an idea in mind. It intrigued Atemu. He gave her a wary, guessing glance. Her face betrayed nothing, unfortunately.
 
“What are you planning, Sith?” he asked slowly, and her sly smile cracked across her usually grim expression. With the dim light, it looked sinister.
 
“In exchange for your best builders, we will send you our finest Aeroglyphian soldiers,” she proposed, “We will have a strong outpost here, and in exchange, you will have solid defense against the art of magic. A more solid one than that of the priests, to be sure.” Bakura howled with laughter. That was a hard bargain to deal with. It was even; too even to raise or lower the stakes without offending one party. Atemu's face blanched. He had never made such a contract, but it was obvious Sith had. Her smile grew knowing. He was running out of options, and she knew it too damn well. After a moment of hesitation, she asked, “Well?”
 
“Sith… you're asking a high risk here,” Atemu replied after another moment, and slowly, “Rath attacked many parts of Egypt and all of them need rebuilding. We can't give you everything.”
 
“So you'll give me nothing,” she concluded, hitting the point Atemu wanted to carefully to avoid, “What you're not saying is that while we all suffer, whatever is left will hide behind your palace walls until the threat is so terrible that you have no choice but to heed me. And by that time, I may as well be dead.” Atemu actually flinched now. That was harsh. But it was the ultimate truth. He couldn't give her much of anything without severely impacting his own kingdom, and it was true the survivors were under his protection. It was just as true that no one would want to listen to her, and many may even share Seth's view on the matter.
 
“That's rather brutal, isn't it?” Seth questioned the knight, when he saw his king unable to speak. She turned slowly to him, the seriousness never leaving her eyes.
 
“Isn't it also the truth?” she countered, and calmly said, “Atemu, if you can give me nothing, then I can give you nothing, either.” Atemu's frown worsened.
 
“What does that mean?” he asked curiously, worriedly. Sith didn't miss the fear in his voice.
 
“Right now I'm the leader of the Espers. Until I know my people are safe, sir, I cannot be a knight of the royal court,” she explained simply, “And if you can't help me, that will be prolonged. I'd dare to say we stand a good chance of her coming back before we can help each other if this is your stance.” Atemu's eyes hardened. He loved Sith; she was his closest friend. But the way she was speaking made him feel like the problems were his fault. With controlled anger, he waved a hand.
 
“What do you suggest we do then?” he asked her furiously. She stared for a moment. Then her next words came like a blow from a warhammer. Atemu never even thought for a moment he would hear them. Not from her.
 
“I suggest you place your loyalties,” she replied. He understood. If he helped her, it would help him as well. But if he hindered her… only Rath would benefit, even in death. He frowned and stood. But neither said a word to the other.
 
What happened next didn't quite fit in Seth's mind. He could barely recall the details, it had all happened so quickly. One moment, they were in Sith's cabin, and the next, it felt as though she threw them out; not just out of her house, but out of Saffernheist. And it was a silent throw. She had spoken not a word, except to tell Atemu to choose wisely. The young king still hadn't made his mind by then. But one thing was certain above all else. Sith Winchester was beyond angry with him. Subsequently, that was what led to them currently: riding back from the northern coast in a whirl of worry, confusion, and disappointment. It was clear their meeting with the former knight had been a terrible one.
 
“What do we do about this one, pharaoh?” Bakura asked quietly, as the three rode side by side. Atemu had avoided that question with Sith. But with Bakura, he knew the thief would press on. Bakura was loyal only to Sith. There was no doubt he was angry, too. He just chose not to show it.
 
“We can't give kni… I mean, Sith Winchester, our best builders! It's out of the question!” Seth declared in exasperation, “Great pharaoh, she is being unreasonable. We did not go there to have her drag us to our knees!”
 
“And you suggest we go to war with her!?” Bakura retorted angrily, this time letting his fury show, “You are an idiot. Not only would she crush us in one swoop, we'd lose her alliance no matter who won! Stop pressing the pharaoh and let the man think on his own for once.” Seth continued to quarrel with Bakura, but Atemu blocked it out at the thief's words. He closed his eyes, trying to think. Sith had spoken briefly, but she was clear: he had five years to choose. He had asked her why, but she merely shook her head and said five years was all he had. Five years… it seemed so long and so short at the same time. How was he to choose! His beloved kingdom or his own friend…
 
“This is a matter we cannot solve with fighting,” he finally said, ending the battle between thief and priest, both of whom turned to him quizzically. He looked up into the clouds, into the blue sky and said, “Sith knows there is danger, yet she will not speak of it yet. No… we won't fight her. We must find a way to work with her.” Bakura nodded, but Seth's brow rose. In his mind, she had chosen her side.
 
“How, my king? How can we work with someone who clearly doesn't care for us any longer?” Seth asked, and Atemu's face hardened again. No. Sith did care for them. That's why she quietly ushered them away. If this had turned into a fight, the Espers would all attack them, all at once. She had done what was best for them. What choice did she have, anyway? She was right. She was the Esper leader. If she had accepted nothing with a smile, it would have been traitorous for the others. It would have hurt Sceppiro. He shook his head. Seth was wrong.
 
“We will find a way. We always have,” Atemu merely said, and turned his horse back toward the direction of the metropolis. Seth shrugged and went ahead. He had nothing more to say; if he mentioned Sith was being stubborn, he would be expelled. Bakura stared at Atemu for a moment, but he understood. Atemu had no ill will towards the old Esper. It wasn't a matter of disloyalty for Sith. It was the simple fact that she obviously ascended her own throne. The thief gave a nod and a smile. Atemu was doing well on this matter.
 
And as for Atemu himself, he watched as Seth rode ahead, Bakura trailing him quietly. He didn't follow immediately. He turned slowly, just so much, back toward where Saffernheist was. Toward where the gate to Aeroglyph had been. The gate was still there, still smoldering. But he wasn't looking at the gate. In his own way, in a way no one could see, but more sense, he was looking directly at Sith. At the friend he had known for nearly sixteen years. Then with a nod of understanding, between human, Esper, and apparition of both, Atemu turned and left for the road. He would not be returning to Saffernheist, not for some time. He knew this. Sith knew this. And they both knew, in the end, who would have to make the returning trip. It was the one person who dreaded meeting with Sith in the first place. It was none other than priest Seth himself. It was just too damned ironic.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
After visiting Sith, Atemu and Seth learn Rath may still come back. But when that'll be, not even the Espers know, and trapped in Aeroglyph's ruins, who knows if she'll rise again at all. For now, the biggest problem will be rebuilding the kingdoms, but with such friendship, Atemu and Sith will work everything out for the better. But will Rath rise again? Will Egypt and Aeroglyph remain allies? Find out in the Aftermath, so click that Review button!