Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Signer of The Moon ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The moon glittered and sparkled in the night sky as I stood watching from the window inside my small, cramped abode. I couldn't take my eyes off the only glimmer of light through the darkness in the skies. The moon resembled the final hope in a callous life full of hate and isolation. I glared and looked away from the beautiful glow, deciding it was time to head to sleep. I left my window open, feeling a soft breeze as I rested my head against my pillow. I could still see the moon blazing from where my bed was located in the small room. Honestly, I had never seen the moon so bright in my life. It was as if it was calling to me...I heard it whispering my name..."Luna...Luna.." Suddenly, I felt a burning sting in my right arm. I quickly threw my arm out from under my pillow to take a look. I examined my forearm, squinting in the darkness, which was only illuminated by the moon's glow. The pain grew severe. The burning became so painful, I fell unconscious. As I drifted into mental submission, I heard a female voice cry out, "Luna!"

"Move it, will ya, kid?!" An old, bearded, homeless man pushed me as I walked back home through the crowded sidewalk after a day of work and grocery shopping. I scowled, trying to ignore him as he ran off. People these days...no respect. I carried grocery bags full of my nourishment for the week. Things were different now that my father had disappeared. I lived alone, and I had to fend for myself. Alone. My mother and my twin brother, Leo left me and my father when I was only five years old. I had lived with my father ever since. Four months ago, my father left one day for work, promising he would return with a surprise for me. Something special. Something every child would want from a parent. I couldn’t imagine would it could possibly be. Though what I got that night, was something I never expected. Silence. No car engine driving into the driveway, no door slamming, and no jolly dad yelling “I’m home, Luna!” That night, he never came home. He vanished, without a trace. Who cares? I’m doing fine by myself. I smirked and broke away from this unpleasant trip down memory lane. I silently walked through the crowded streets, while trying my best to stay invisible. A young girl roaming this dangerous neighborhood alone wasn’t exactly what one would call “safe”. The weather was sweltering, and the heat was suffocating. I couldn’t wait to get home and dig into a bowl of strawberry ice cream. As my mouth watered at the thought, a poster on an old abandoned building caught my attention. I slowly walked toward it, trying to figure out what it was about. “Team Saikou: The Supreme of New Domino City” Team Saikou? That dueling team? I stared at the poster for quite awhile. It mesmerized me. The duelists posing on the poster looked so skilled and determined. The passion blazing in their eyes. I recognized some of them from watching Team Saikou duel on T.V. but some faces were unfamiliar. Judai, Haou, Castiel, Edo...My gaze stopped on a duelist that I had never seen before. I walked in closer to the poster, just to examine his face a bit more. His eyes, his hair, his expression. Confidence was written all over his visage. Something about him seemed so...attractive. It was as if I had fallen in love with this guy just by looking at his picture. I looked down to the segment where his name was located. “Yusei Fudo” My heart skipped a beat. Why am I acting like a crazy fan girl? He’s a professional duelist. Way out of your league. Get a hold of yourself, Luna. I took a step back and sighed. I turned around and continued on my quest back home.

The sun was setting, leaving a gorgeous streak of orange and pink in the sky. I was close to my small house now. The one that originally belonged to my father. I should pick up the pace. It’s getting late and it’s not safe out here around this time. I quickened my pace, breathing faster. I heard snickering following me and I stopped and swiftly turned to see who was behind me. I saw a couple of older boys in dark hoods, laughing quietly. I couldn’t tell if they were looking at me or not, since their hoods covered a good portion of their faces. That’s creepy. It’s best if I run for it, NOW. As I turned back to run, a cold hand grabbed my arm. Damn. I trembled, unable to move. I didn’t know what was coming next. I heard the two boys behind me, mumbling, as one of them had grabbed me. I’m too young to die!, was all I could think as I shut my eyes tight expecting a bullet to go through my head. “Let her go.“ I heard a stern and handsome voice say. My eyes were still shut tight, as I shivered in place, clutching the grocery bags to my chest with one arm, while the other arm was tightly grasped by one of the hooded boys. “I don’t know what you guys are trying to do, but obviously it won’t get you anywhere.” His voice sounded calm and mature - straight to the point. The boys started to mutter something, “Y-Yus..?”, was all I heard and the tight grip on my arm was released which made me open my eyes. I felt someone aggressively push me to the concrete sidewalk and then heard the boys frantically run off. Strong arms caught me before my face collided with the concrete. “You okay?” I heard. I looked up as my eyes met his, and immediately I recognized who it was. Yusei Fudo!!! “Um, uh, yeah I’m fine...” I managed to mumble. Why on earth is an elite duelist from Team Saikou here?! My mind screamed several thoughts. Wait, wait, maybe it’s just a guy who looks like him, but it’s not really him! “That’s good to hear.” He helped me back on my feet.

“Aren’t you...?” I slowly lifted my hand.

“Aren’t I what?” He questioned.

“AREN’T YOU YUSEI FUDO?!” I had no idea on how I had gathered the strength to holler like that.

He seemed somewhat pleased that I had recognized him. “Yes. I am.”