Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silenced Legacy ❯ Slifer the Sky Dragon ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode #5- Slifer the Sky Dragon

After Dueling the Rare Hunter with Exodia and Arkana, the self-proclaimed Master of Magicians, Yugi anticipated the next Rare Hunter, whom Marik called 'The Quiet One.' Yami Yugi leaned on a rail at a bridge in Battle City, both him and Yugi felt puzzled about Marik's intentions.

'Yami, what did Marik mean by 'Beware of the Quiet One?' Yugi asked in thought. Yami Yugi huffed in return to his question.

"It's probably one of Marik's more powerful Duelists." Yami Yugi mumbled, "You do remember Arkana was more powerful than the Exodia Duelist. This might be our biggest challenge yet." He finished and heard something in the distance. His head jolted to look at the other end of the bridge and saw another Duelist. A bald and dark-eyed man with multiple piercing and heavy- duty hikers opposed Yami Yugi from a distance.

"Ah, I finally found you, Yugi Motou," the man spoke in a raspy and controlled voice, "I've said 'Beware of the Quiet One,' haven't I? Well, here I am. I am Strings."

'He's the Quiet One?' Yugi thought.

'Don't get discouraged, Yugi!' Yami countered, "Marik, I'm tired of this! Show yourself now!"

"I will Yami, when the time is right." Marik spoke through, "But for now, I want to see how you'll fare against an Egyptian God Card."

'A God Card!' Yami and Yugi shocked in thought.

"I challenge you to a Duel for your Millennium Puzzle, Yugi!" Strings declared.

"It'll be my pleasure Marik." Yami Yugi prepared himself to Duel. The holojets launched themselves into the corners of the Dueling arena and Strings made first move.

"I play, the Humanoid Slime in attack mode." Strings began and a gel-like monster appeared in front of him. "I also place two cards faced down and end my turn." Two other cards hovered behind his monster.

'Trap cards? Just great.' Yugi thought. Yami Yugi looked to his hand and pulled two cards. "I play Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts in attack mode and one card faced down." He made his play, as a lion with a horn appeared to oppose Strings. "Now, show me what you can do, Marik."

"I'll be sure of it Yugi." Marik spoke through Strings, "As for this turn, I play the Worm Drake." He declared as a green serpent with yellow rimming around its body appeared, "Now, I play Polymerization to fuse them together into the Humanoid Worm Drake and attack!"

"The rules say that you can't attack with a Fusion monster on the same turn it was created." Yami Yugi explained.

"That's for my magic card to say otherwise." Marik sneered.

'Magic card?' Yugi shocked.

"I play Quick Attack! This allows my monster to attack this turn!" Marik called and the Humanoid Worm Drake headed straight for Gazelle.

"Not so fast," Yami Yugi began to counter play, "I play De-Fusion. This magic card will separate your Fusion monster back into its original two monsters." He explained and the monster split into two, "Now Gazelle, attack the Worm Drake!" Yami Yugi attacked and Strings lost the 100-point difference. Yami Yugi began his turn, "I play Beta the Magnet Warrior in attack mode." He declared as another monster appeared. Yami Yugi took another look at his hand, 'The Buster Blader. But his monster is too weak to sacrifice and attack.' He thought. "Beta, attack his Humanoid Slime!" Yami Yugi declared and Strings lost the nine hundred Life Points, dropping him to 3100.

"Hmm, you may have won that exchange, Yugi Motou." Marik taunted through Strings, "But in my Deck I hold an unstoppable monster, a monster of no definite shape." Strings drew his card, "And it looks like I'll be having the pleasure of revealing it. I play the Revival Jam in defense mode." Marik declared as a blue jelly monster appeared.

'Now why would he play a monster like that?' Yugi thought and Yami Yugi drew his next card.

A half-hour passed after meeting Marik again. When he left, MG and I switched back. Yami MG was still concerned about my safety and I could feel her heavy thoughts. They lifted themselves a little bit when MG gasped, "Miranda, can you feel it?"

'Feel what? I can only sense weaker spirits, probably from the sea.' I replied.

"No, it's something more powerful. Maybe I can feel it, but it hasn't been summoned to this plane of battle yet." MG continued, "It's a God Card. The energies emitting from it is Slifer's signature."

'You mean you can sense a God Card's location?' I asked.

"Almost, it's not far from here. A Rare Hunter wields it."

'Do you know what it does?'

"Yes. The number of cards in the cardholder's hand varies its power. Slifer's attack and defense points are 1000 times the number of cards in one's hand." MG explained, "But then there is a limit to Slifer's overall power, a Duelist can hold only six cards."

'Unless Infinite Cards is played.' I pointed out.

"What do you mean?" MG got up from her seat and looked into the sea.

'It's a magic card that allows a player to even...hold their entire Deck in their hand! If that is on the field, Slifer can't hold back! We have to find it!' I panicked.

"Right, and I can definitely pinpoint its location." MG began to run in her sandals out of the wharf, "I can feel it, and I feel Yugi's energy signature. Aw Machete!" MG continued running at top speed with the sword still shielded and clenched in her left hand.

The Duel on the bridge held out to the point where Yugi had a knight with a heavy-blade sword over his right shoulder. Strings still had Revival Jam and some sort of machine next to his Revival Jam.

"Buster Blader, attack now!" Yami Yugi commanded and his monster charged forward, slicing the Revival Jam. "Revival Jam is destroyed."

"Not quite, Pharaoh, take another look." Marik said and Yami Yugi looked to the Revival Jam. The jelly-like monster reformed itself back into it free- formed stance. "I told this was a monster that cannot be defeated so easily. Now as for this turn I activate one of my down cards, Jam Defender. And since this is the first of my turns, my Jam Breeding Machine will give me my Slime Token. Once I have three, I will summon Slifer the Sky Dragon." Marik explained.

"Then I'll make sure you don't get any more Slime Tokens." Yami Yugi prepared his turn, "Buster Blader, attack the Slime Token now!" Yami Yugi commanded again and the knight headed straight for the machine. Right before the Buster Blader could destroy the Slime Token, the Revival Jam cut in front of the attack and allowed itself to be destroyed. 'What the?'

"You were foolish enough to attack?" Marik continued teasing, "The Jam Defender trap card can let my Revival Jam replace the original target of attack. In other words, if you try to attack any of my other monsters, you'll only be attacking my Revival Jam." Yami Yugi ended his turn and Strings drew his next card. "Perfect, now I play this magic card, Nightmare's Steelcage." Strings declared as a cage materialized and surrounded Yami Yugi and his Buster Blader. "This card will prevent you from attacking me for two turns. Just enough time to summon my Egyptian God Card!"

'No!' Yami Yugi thought in high alert. He panicked slightly and calmed down quickly, 'No, I can't lose it now.' He thought and drew; "I play Kuriboh in defense mode." Yami Yugi called as his monster appeared over its card.

Yami Yugi looked out back behind Strings and saw Yami MG rushing in with her sword in a readied position. "Miranda!" Yami Yugi called and Strings looked in the same direction. MG stopped short of a pole that supported the bridge.

"Well, you again." Marik sneered, "I'm hard to resist, I know. But soon you'll be back in my control, Miranda."

'Back in his control?' Yugi and Yami questioned in thought.

"Don't get your hopes up Marik, I'm not coming back to your side!" MG spoke for me.

"We'll see Miranda." Marik turned his puppet back to the Duel, "I do so apologize for the delay, but when I'm finished with you, she's next." He said and drew his next card, "Now I gain my second Slime Token. As for my turn, I place two more cards faced down and leave it at that."

'MG, switch me. I think I know what's going on.' I requested.

"What? Already?" MG questioned.

'Of course. If that freak has Slifer, he's using the Jam Breeding Machine to summon the God Card. He's also using Jam Defender so if Yugi attacks, he can only hit the Revival Jam. And that Nightmare's Steelcage is just a step in the security.' I explained.

"Dang you're good."

'Hey, who was Marik's slave for five weeks here? Just swap me, I might have a plan.' I bugged.

"OK, but I have to warn you about Slifer's energy signature. The explosion of power could knock you unconscious." MG mumbled before forcing the switch.

__________

Both Duelists kept their own, though Yami Yugi was at a slight disadvantage aside from Life Point totals.

'Miranda, I still think it was a bad idea to swap.' MG complained.

"Just think MG. If what you say is true and I can control the God Cards, maybe I can control Slifer's actions." I mumbled. Yami MG seemed to agree as I looked on to the Duel. Yami Yugi was still in the cage and Strings made his move.

"Now my Jam Breeding Machine, give me my third Slime Token!" Marik called through Strings.

'Brace yourself Miranda!' Yami MG called from the back of my mind.

"Yugi, prepare for the most power you've ever experienced. I summon one of the Egyptian God Cards, Slifer the Sky Dragon!" Marik boasted like his hunger for power. His Jam Breeding Machine blew apart and lightning struck around the Dueling field. I even had to avoid a few bolts of electricity. The debris from the lightning strikes shot themselves to the assembling sky as a monster descended. A red dragon with two sets of jaws and an infinitely long body lined with pairs of spikes.

I could feel my 'sixth sense' roll over me and overwhelm my mind. 'Miranda, get a grip on yourself!' Yami MG called and flew back to consciousness. I shook my head and the descent finished. Yami Yugi, still in the Nightmare's Steelcage, opposed one of the most powerful cards ever. Though Slifer's energy signature was almost unbearable, its attack power wasn't much to fear about.

"I introduce to you one of the three Egyptian God Cards with unlimited power, Slifer the Sky Dragon." Marik began, "And do you want to know how Slifer's power is measured out? I'm sure Miranda knows as well as I do. Slifer's attack is varied on the cards in my hand; the number of cards I hold is Slifer attack power. I hold two cards so Slifer's attack is at 2000."

"Still, it's a weaker monster." Yami Yugi grunted.

"For now. Now I play this magic card, Pot of Greed." Strings continued his turn, "This card allows me to draw two new cards. Greed is good, now I discarded one card but gained two more, Slifer's attack power is now at 3000."

'True, but for every Dragon-type monster my opponent has on the field my Buster Blader gain 500 attack points, so it's still more powerful than Slifer.' Yugi thought and Yami Yugi sighted the Buster Blader. "It's my turn now. And this turn I'll place two cards faced down and end my turn." Yami Yugi played as two cards hovered behind Buster Blader and Kuriboh. By that turn, the cage faded off and Yami Yugi was open for attack.

'Miranda, now would be a good time to test your theory...' Yami MG began to panic.

"Wait on it..." I extended 'it' and watched the Duel from the bridge post. My heart began to beat hard, as if I could feel Marik's energy signature again.

"Now I draw, and with four cards in my hand, Slifer is now at 4000!" Marik called through Strings, "But before I attack I'll activate these two magic cards, Infinite Cards and Cards of Safe Return."

"What are those?" Yami Yugi questioned.

"First, I'm sure Infinite Cards will speak for itself, with this I can hold as many cards as I can over the ruled six. As for Cards of Safe Return, you'll see. Slifer, attack his Buster Blader!" the Dragon let loose an energy blast and fired straight for the Buster Blader.

"NO!" Yami Yugi managed to choke out but lost his knight and 900 Life Points with it.

"It's useless to go on Yugi, just embrace it." Marik spoke out, "No monster in your Deck can defeat Slifer!"

'Miranda, now...' Yami MG shuddered.

"Hold on..." I replied.

'Marik might be right.' Yugi thought doubtfully.

'Yugi, no. We have to believe, in the Heart of the Cards. It has never failed us before and it won't fail us now.' Yami Yugi counter-thought and drew, 'Yes, the Dark Magician Girl.' "Marik, I sacrifice my Kuriboh to summon the Dark Magician Girl in defense mode." Yami Yugi made his play as a cloud of smoke swallowed his Kuriboh and the female counterpart of the Dark Magician appeared.

"Yugi, you fool! You've activated Slifer's second effect! Its second set of jaws!" Marik called as the top set of jaws opened with dust falling, "When my opponent summons a new monster on the field, Slifer can attack automatically. If that monster doesn't have more than 2000 points in whichever mode it's in, it is destroyed on the spot. Slifer attack now!" Marik, Strings, commanded and Slifer launched another blast of energy.

'Second mouth!' Yugi, Yami Yugi, MG, and I all thought at once.

'MG, you didn't tell me that!' I thought in hysteria.

"And the Dark Magician Girl only has 1700 defense points. Slifer is full of surprises." Yami Yugi closed his eyes, and shot a quick play of a trap card.

"The Dark Magician Girl is destroyed," Marik seemed satisfied but looked twice, "What's this?"

"Marik, I told you I had trap cards down, so I activate them both, the Spellbinding Circle and Magic Cylinder." Yami Yugi called.

'Sweet move!' Yami MG and I cheered.

"First the Magic Cylinder will absorb Slifer's attack on my Dark Magician Girl. Next, the Spellbinding Circle will lock Slifer in place and the Magic Cylinder will fire that same attack right back at it!" Yami Yugi briefly explained as it happened. Though the reflected fire hit the Revival Jam instead.

"Did you forget my Revival Jam and Jam Defender already, Yugi?" Marik taunted again, "My Jam will take any hit done by my opponent. On top of that, that's when my Cards of Safe Return come into play. When my Revival Jam revives itself, I get to draw three cards. Now Slifer's attack is at 7000." Marik explained, "But now, it is time to finish you off. Slifer, attack his Dark Magician Girl now!" Slifer opened its bottom set of jaws again and fired right on the spot.

At that moment, time felt frozen. I couldn't feel Yami MG's energy signature any longer, as if she escaped my senses completely. My eyes shot wide as the smoke cleared and Yugi was left with no defenses what so ever.

'Miranda, I'm sorry, but I felt Marik trying to pull something.' MG thought as she found herself in her soul room. She opened her door and exited into the corridor to my soul room. She walked to the bookshelf and pulled out the only book that had a different genre than the others, Egyptian Hieroglyphics. After she depicted its binder, the section slid aside to a television screen. She pushed one button and the screen showed Marik with Joey and Tea...under his mind control!

"Aw Machete!" Yami MG closed up the shelf and rushed out, remembering to leave her door closed and mine open.

Slifer destroyed the Dark Magician Girl, though still in defense mode so Yami Yugi wasn't harmed by Life Point damage.

"This Duel is over Yugi." Strings announced, "Slifer attack now, finish off the rest of his Life Points!"

"OK, I'm gone." I grunted and rushed past Strings. At one swift jump, I put myself in between Yami Yugi and Slifer's attack, "Slifer, stop now!" I called at the top of my lungs but I think Slifer's direct hit muffled my voice.

__________

I couldn't see what happened after those seconds by the blinding blast. I couldn't tell what I felt. The light blinded and I found myself in a defense stance in front of Yami Yugi. I looked to Slifer and the dragon shifted into its coils.

'What in the world just happened?' Yugi asked in thought, still all shook up by the blast.

"I think...I think Miranda saved our Life Points." Yami replied softly. I was still breathing harshly, trying to regain my breath from the attack.

"How...how could you pull it off?!" Marik was surprised as Yugi.

"Marik, you're right." I began with my head low. I shifted myself back to a pose with the sword's sheath in my left hand and lifted my head. "You're right about the fact that I can control the God Card's will, even if they're in control of someone else. And I don't think I need to explain the reason to you, but to Yugi...I can control the God Cards by rights of the Zodiac. My sign is Dragon, because of my strong belief in the Zodiac the Dragons have succumbed to my energy signature, even Slifer." After my speech, I felt weak instantly and fell to my knees. Slifer drew forward again, readied to fight once more.

"And you're right Miranda, I can grant you that." Marik countered, "But by your will alone, you can only sustain order over Slifer for a short extent of time. If you were still under my control, you'd be able to control Slifer for the entire Duel." Marik explained. Yami Yugi seemed interest in the conversation. "However, your command to cease Slifer's attack was only delaying the inevitable. Now to end this Duel."

"But it is my turn." Yami Yugi interrupted and helped me to my feet. I stumbled to a bench and Yami Yugi made his turn count, "I play the magic card, Brain Control." He called.

"You must have short-term memory Yugi, God Cards cannot be affected by magic and trap cards." Marik opposed.

"Who said I was going to control Slifer? I'm seizing control of your Revival Jam." Yami called and the Revival Jam formed on his side. Slifer, without command, opened its top set of jaws and attacked the Revival Jam.

"What?" Marik shocked, "How?" 'Of course, every time Yugi summons a monster or a monster appears on his side, Slifer attacks. And when Revival Jam reforms itself, I draw three cards and Slifer attacks again!' Marik thought, 'The Jam Revives itself, I draw, and Slifer attacks again. One event triggers another in an endless cycle until finally...' Marik trailed off, as Strings couldn't draw anymore cards.

"Way to go Yugi." I mumbled to myself and tried to get to my feet. By that time, I could feel Yami MG again, and her thoughts-panic and urgent. I didn't question her absence.

"Looks like I've won this Duel by Slifer's greatest strength." Yami Yugi stated and the Duel Discs disabled themselves. Strings just fell to his knees with his head low.

"I'm not done yet Pharaoh." Marik spoke through once more, "You may have Slifer now, but I hold another God Card with much more power than you could imagine!"

'The Winged Dragon of Ra.' Yami MG mumbled in thought. Afterwards, Strings fainted and Yami Yugi kneeled to search for Slifer the Sky Dragon. After he found it, he got back up and looked to me. I was embarrassed to be standing in front of him, battered by my foolishness.

"You won Yugi, you get Slifer." I tried to speak but Yami Yugi gestured me to quiet.

"No, you did. You're the one to get Slifer." Yami Yugi refused the God Card, "It was you that stopped Slifer at the last turn. You can control Slifer, but Marik was right that you can only control it for a short period of time." Yami Yugi explained and escorted me back to the bench.

'Speaking of Marik...' Yugi reminded.

"That's right." Yami Yugi muttered, "Miranda, Marik said something about being back in his control. What did he mean by that?" I bit my bottom lip, hoping he would have asked that question later, or never. I sighed and got to the bottom line.

"I was Marik's mind slave for several weeks before the tournament." I admitted, no surprise that Yami Yugi was shocked, "But the Spirit of the Millennium Sword, Yami MG to say the least, was able to knock me out of it just recently. Marik says I should be under his control again or I'm to be destroyed. He thinks I've seen too much because of my time as one of them." I looked to Yami Yugi, he seemed speechless of the story, then laid a hand on my shoulder.

"Miranda..." He trailed off, "I'm glad Yami MG managed to break you free. I'm not trying to use you for any secrets into the Rare Hunters, but I could use your knowledge of the Rare Hunters."

"I know..."

"But before you arrived," Yami Yugi got up after handing me Slifer the Sky Dragon, "Marik mentioned something about finding my friends, Joey and Tea."

'Miranda let me out!' MG forced the switch behind Yami's back and MG appeared in my place, "Yugi, hold up!"

"You must be..."

"Yeah, yeah, Yami MG. Listen to me. I've seen Marik, he already has Joey and Tea!" Yami MG reported.

"What?" Yami Yugi questioned, "Do you know where?"

"Near the port on the other side of the city." MG replied and led the way off the bridge.

'Joey, Tea, hang on!' Yugi courage himself in mind, 'We're coming!' Yami Yugi heard his partner as him and MG fled the bridge for the port.

To be continued…