Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silenced Legacy ❯ Battle City: Day 1 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode #4- Battle City: Day 1

After a week of high anticipation and endless hours of modifying my Dragon Deck, it has all come down to tomorrow. My newly bought and traded cards made it worth it, some thanks to Mr. Motou. Though the restless nights of card construction, I've stitched in my own designs to the sword holster when I felt my Deck was ready. I've used everything in the Dragon-type I could think have, though I slipped in a couple of side combos that didn't involve Dragons.

I was almost ready when MG appeared in the mirror one last time. "Ready for the big tournament?" MG asked with high hopes. I turned to her after folding my black outfit with the sword holster.

"Without a shadow of doubt." I replied. MG looked to my outfit readied for tomorrow.

"Oh nice!" MG cheered, "The sword holster looks fantastic! Did you make that dragon yourself?"

"On paper and on leather." I said but changed the subject, "Now for the matter at hand. Do you know if Marik will be making an appearance in Battle City?"

"I think they've already hacked into the system." MG answered with the same concern, "Chances are we'll be running into a few of them."

"Define 'Few', MG." I stated coldly.

"Alright, but don't worry, we'll be ready for them." MG clenched a fist.

"Yeah, but will Yugi be?"

"Pardon?"

"Marik knows more of his Past than the Pharaoh residing in the Millennium Puzzle does. Heck you know more of your Past than the Pharaoh." I grew doubtful.

"Well, your cards don't lie." MG was hesitant to reply, "And don't worry. You said Kaiba needs his Blue-Eyes White Dragon and a Polymerization to summon the Ultimate Dragon, right? You have Cyber-Stein, and with that monster you can get Meteor Black Dragon on the field faster than you can say 'Armageddon'."

I nodded and shuffled my Deck on my bed. After several shifts, I thought of three numbers at random, but in order, '25, 37, 41.' I counted to those cards faced down and laid them on my mattress.

"What are you doing, Miranda?" MG asked when I set the rest of my deck aside.

"Card scrying, it's a trick my mom showed me when I was little. It helps to better focus in a problem." I answered and held the first card on the left in my fingers.

"Our first card..." MG crossed her arms, expecting an answer.

"The Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress." I finished her and thought deeply, "Considering the question we're asking, we're this dragon-guarding the Pharaoh's Past. We know more of it, perhaps too much of it than we should know."

"Next card Miranda..." MG wanted to move on. I turned over the middle card.

"Mikazukinoyaiba." I recited, "To our predicament, we're to fight back against the one who intrudes."

"That would be Marik."

"Precisely, and our final card..." I grew nervous to flip the last card, "United We Stand."

"Looks like we're backing up the Pharaoh this time around." MG still had her arms crossed and I gathered up the three cards back into my Deck, "Well, we better get some sleep, tomorrow is when this 'all-out war' begins." MG's image faded out of the mirror.

"MG, I know you can scout the Shadow Realm without me." I groaned before covering myself in the quilts, "Go see what Marik's up to." Yami MG appeared one last time for the day.

"I'm no La Jinn but your wish is my command." MG rolled her eyes and faded out again.

In the dark abyss of the Shadow Realm, Yami MG wandered through the dense fog with her left hand on the sword's sheath. "Go see what Marik's up to." MG cocked to herself, "Who does she think she is, the Dragon Tamer? She would still be working for Marik if I hadn't butted in." she muttered until she saw a light in the distance with several stone figures surrounding it. MG ducked behind one of the statues and peered over the edge.

A hooded man holding a gold scepter sat on a plain throne with only the Millennium Symbol close to the top. Three others stepped forward as if baring news. "Master Marik, we have hacked into Kaiba Corp. systems and ready for tomorrow." one of them informed.

"I expected nothing less. It is quite a find to see so many of our targets gathered into one place." Marik replied under the hood, "In due time, I will achieve the final God Card, Obelisk the Tormentor as well as little Yugi's Millennium Puzzle. Then the world will be mine!"

"But what about Miranda?" another one of them asked.

"True, it was destiny to be that Miranda meets Yugi. But it is Fate that she is returned under my control." Marik held the Millennium Rod in a tighter grip, "Aside from that, Miranda has been granted something more powerful and valuable that will surely clench my rule of the world."

'Her Dragon!' MG thought and shot out of there at her God-like speed.

"My Rare Hunters, tomorrow the Hunt will begin. Seek out Yugi Motou and Miranda Guinaldo, but leave Seto Kaiba to me." Marik finished and MG made a jump out of the Shadow Realm.

"Miranda!" Yami MG cried loud enough to crack the mirror. I saw her in the mirror, her face cracked behind the glass.

"Yami MG what?!" I answered after she woke me up in shock.

"You're one of the targets!" MG panicked and the mirror shook.

"Tell me something I don't know." I rubbed my eyes and dropped back on my bed.

"No, no, no! He's after your Zodiac! He wants to control you to tame the-" her message stopped suddenly when the mirror shattered. I held my breath until the glass silenced itself.

"Tame what? Yami MG, tame what!" I cried but no answer came.

__________

I could barely sleep last night after Yami MG gave me that scare. I got up almost five in the morning and saw the Sword pendant dangling in front of the shattered mirror still hanging on the wall. I crawled out of bed and avoided the fallen glass, put on my necklace and forced the switch.

Yami MG fluttered her eyes open, recovered from the shock last night. 'MG, you OK?'

"Never better." Yami MG said and winced several times.

'K, then can I ask you something?'

"Depends Miranda, I just got up."

'Last night you said that Marik wanted me to tame something.' I hinted.

"Yeah, I overheard Marik. He wanted you in his control again to bring about the full potential of the God Cards, Slifer and Ra at least." MG breathed deeply.

'Why, am I the only Dragon he knows?'

"There are plenty of Dragons in Domino. You just happen to be the Dragons' stronghold and a force that Slifer and Ra can obey, according to him." MG mumbled.

'So now what? We know not only some of the Past, but we also know that Marik is after more than the Millennium Sword.' I asked in mind.

"Let's just do some last minute improvements on your Deck and hope for the best, Miranda. Now's not the time to doubt ourselves." MG took the Dragon Deck and the binder, sifting and searching for advantage-taking cards.

After several hours of thought of both our predicament and the Duels ahead, MG got into outfit-the wrong one. MG was wearing a Samurai kimono with a blue top and white bottom with the dragon sword holster at her left hip. 'Hey, I wanted to wear the black turtleneck outfit.' I complained.

"That's what you wanted." MG mumbled to herself, "I preferred my comfortable swordsman kimono. Black's not the color for a hot day like this. Besides, did you see how Mai dressed?"

'Good point.' I concurred.

"And Mako looked like a fish out of water, so why can't I dress like a samurai?"

'Because some believe in Battosai the Manslayer.'

"OK, zip it." MG finished our conversation and left with her Duel Disc hidden in her left sleeve. She trailed down the street like a wandering Samurai past Yugi's house. Mr. Motou just came out the door to sweep the front porch.

"Miranda, that you?" Mr. Motou greeted.

"Yeah, it's me." MG replied, "Just going for the tournament. Where's Yugi?"

"He already left."

"K, thank you." MG nodded and continued. Seconds later Mr. Motou stopped her again.

"Miranda, wait." He called and MG turned around, "I know how much you like to work around Dragons so here's my last card you can have for the tournament." Mr. Motou gave MG DNA Surgery, a continuous trap card enabling all monsters on the field to be one type.

'See, I could have had my Cyber-Tech Alligator in there and it could still be a Dragon.' I pointed out.

"Thanks. I'll be sure to use it." MG tucked it into her Deck box and waved goodbye to him. Soon she got to the Strip and saw Yami Yugi and Joey.

"Hey, is that Miranda?" Joey asked Yami Yugi.

'I told you to stay with the turtleneck.' I grumbled in mind.

"Yeah, it's me guys." MG shrugged her shoulders.

"Odd, Yugi told me you were wearing a turtleneck when you two first met." Joey dumbly commented, "Now you look like a swordsman."

"Is there a problem with the way I dress?" MG was ready to take her sword out.

"No, it isn't. Compared to Mai's fashion..." Yami Yugi observed the kimono.

"What compared to my fashion?" Mai caught us off guard. Just as the guys were, she was staring at MG. "First a Goth, now a swordsman. You have the strangest sense of fashion."

'Well I don't see you in a beauty pageant yourself, Harpy.' I mumbled.

'I have to agree.' MG thought.

"So, everybody's here? When will this tournament begin?" Mai was psyched to start.

"Say Joey, we still didn't finish our Duel we started in the classroom last week." MG reminded.

"Yeah, you're right." Joey agreed, "We'll be sure to do our Duel in the Finals."

"But where's your Duel Disc?" Yami Yugi asked. MG pulled up her left sleeve and showed the Duel Disc. Yami Yugi cracked a slight smile before the time was 10 o'clock and the tournament began.

"Well, there's no point standing here. See you three at the Finals, if you get there." Mai wisecracked before swaggering off.

"Why that?" MG nearly drew her sword when I stopped her.

'Yami MG, you can pluck her feathers at the Finals, now's not the time to...' I cried in mind.

'You're right, time to find some Duelists.' MG settled herself and separated from Joey and Yami Yugi.

After several minutes of wandering the streets, MG was challenged.

"Hey you!" a tough, crowing voice called out. He was Rex Raptor, one of the Duelists Tea spotted last week, "You don't look so tough. I challenge you to a Duel. My Serpent Night Dragon says I'll win."

"Serpent Night Dragon, huh?" MG smirked and turned around. She tied back her left sleeve and revealed her Duel Disc, "Fine, I'll wager my Meteor Black Dragon on your challenge."

"Meteor Black Dragon, I don't think I've heard of a card." Rex stood confused, "But if I haven't heard of it, then it must have some value to it." Rex prepared his Duel Disc by launching his holo-images. MG did the same with Life Points set to 4000 each.

"I'll go first, and I play Gray Wing in attack mode!" MG called as a gray dragon appeared, "I'll also play these." she finished and two cards lay faced down behind the Dragon.

"Ha! That wimpy monster won't even stand a chance." Rex poked fun, "Go Uraby!" He declared as a brown raptor came forth, "Attack her Gray Wing, and show her why she can't mess with the runner-up in the Regional!" Uraby went for its attack but fell down a hole. "What the?"

"Sorry Rex but I activated a trap card and a personal favorite, Bottomless Trap Hole." MG started. "It works like the original Trap Hole except on one account, the monsters you summon and I destroy using this trap card cannot be revived because they go out-of-play and not to the Graveyard."

"Now you tell me?"

"Traps are supposed to be a surprise Rex. If I told you, I wouldn't have been able to pull that stunt off now could I?" MG cocked, "Now it's my turn, and it looks like this battle is over. I play The Unfriendly Amazon, in attack mode!" she declared as a female warrior appeared, "Now I'll use this magic card, Fusion Sword Murasame Blade. This will boost my Amazon's attack power all the way to 2800. Now Amazon, Gray Wing, attack his Life Points directly. Drop him like a rock!" MG called as both monsters charged and Rex had nothing to defend.

Rex's Life Points dropped from 4000 to squat in two blows. Rex dropped to his knees as the Duel Discs disabled themselves and MG treaded up. "I am the victor. By the Battle City Rules, I claim your locator card and your Serpent Night Dragon." Rex groaned as he handed them over.

"Be careful with it." Rex begged.

"Don't worry, my binder will keep it safe. Sorry you had to leave Battle City so soon." MG smiled and walked off.

'Did you have to be so hard on him?' I asked in thought.

"Don't worry, he was the one who made the challenge. Not our fault he lost." MG mumbled back and untied her sleeve, "But you have to admit, we have another Dragon for your collection."

'True, can we stop by the wharf, I'm thirsty.' I asked.

"Whatever." MG rolled her eyes and took the subway to the wharf on the other side of the gulf.

__________

Yami MG got off the subway with little notice of her Samurai expression. She took the stairs back to the surface and entered a cafe that lined the port. On her way she got a soda and the weekly Duelist Magazine. We watched as boats and cruisers docked and departed the wharf.

Boats departed and docked themselves for a half-hour while Yami MG kept her eyes on the mag'. "Hey, Miranda." she spoke to herself, "Did you see this strategy? Gray Wing with Sinister Serpent, all you need is some equip cards to increase its strength."

'Why do you think I stuck in Malevolent Nuzzler and Axe of Despair into my Deck?' I asked in sarcasm.

"You have a Sinister Serpent?" MG asked and flipped through the Deck, "You do..."

'Exactly. See, even we share each other's thoughts.' I cocked before our 'sixth sense' acted up. Soon a cruiser docked and four hooded Duelists surrounded one individual. Yami MG kept close eye on the five of them and recognized the exception. When one of them would glare, she'd turn back to the magazine.

"Rare Hunters?" She asked herself.

'Would there be any other explanation?' I replied, 'Just keep it cool. He won't recognize you, he only knows me.' I assured as MG closed her magazine after revealing her five free cards- Dunames Dark Witch, Lord of D., Shadow Spell, Cosmo Queen, and Winged Dragon.

"Sorry Miranda, but when it comes to him, I'll force a switch." MG cowered, "This guy just gives me the chills."

'What?' I asked but Yami MG forced the switch. I was in her Samurai kimono and he noticed me off the back. He had light hair to contrast his dark skin and fuchsia eyes, wearing a light color shirt with several chains and black jeans.

He separated from his assumed guards and snatched up the Cosmo Queen before I could slip it into my binder.

"Hey. Marik." I called and reached for the card. He jolted it from my grasp and examined it further.

"Don't think I'll be taking this without a Duel Miranda." He grinned, "So I'll see you soon, perhaps the Finals." Marik handed the card back to me and walked off. Halfway between his group and my table, he turned around for a brief explanation, "Yes, I will see you in the Finals. That's when I'll take your Cosmo Queen as well as your Meteor Black Dragon. I've studied your proceeding Deck construction and I've equipped my Rare Hunters with cards to counter them. But for now, I have a more important business to attend to." He continued as he geared himself on a motorcycle and clicked his Millennium Rod and a Duel Disc to it. After seconds of starting it, he blasted off and the four Rare Hunters separated in different directions. The boat he took to the wharf departed and followed the shoreline.

'That was...disturbing.' I thought, "MG, I don't think he's after me for the purpose you said. It's just the usual card-snatching." I mumbled.

'Miranda, I swear I heard him! He's after you to control The Winged Dragon of Ra.' Yami MG nagged on.

"Whatever, we'll just have to see how the tournament turns into the Finals." I mumbled and took another drink of my soda.

'Oh sure, you'll see when it's too late.' Yami MG griped.

To be continued...