Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silenced Legacy ❯ Shadow Prisoner: The Bowler, Part 2 ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode #8- Shadow Prisoner, Part 2

"I can't believe I have to trust my partner's safety to a madman!" MG shrieked after leaving the port with Joey, Yami and Tea. MG still couldn't bare the thought of seeing her host not only separated from her but then shackled to the Shadow Realm, and her only hope is her greatest enemy!

"I can't believe it either MG," Yami Yugi said in a calm matter, "but for now we can only hope Marik keeps to his word and frees Miranda as soon as possible."

"It's hard; a friend we just recently met is gone." Tea moped.

"But not forever hopefully." Yami Yugi reminded his friends and turned to Joey, "Look, let's just try to finish this tournament and hope for the better."

"Right, I already have my six locator cards so I'm set for the Finals." Joey showed off six clear cards...

"I need to gather one more." Yami Yugi held up his.

"Miranda is such a picky Duelist." MG complained and held up three, "I better get started, see you three soon." MG walked off in one direction. Yami Yugi walked off in another and Joey stuck by with Tea.

After ten minutes down the boardwalk, Joey and Tea found another one of their classmates. He had bleach white hair and brown eyes, wearing a blue-and-white striped T-shirt and faded jeans.

"Hey, Bakura!" Tea called and he turned around.

"Oh, hello." Bakura replied and met up to them, "Joey, how goes the tournament?"

"It's alright, I've already got six locator cards." Joey answered, "Now I'm just looking for a break before the Finals." Bakura walked with them down to the arcade. Along the way, Bakura could hear a voice inside, Yami Bakura.

'Just great, that Miranda must have freed Joey and Tea from Marik's mind control.' Yami Bakura mumbled, 'Miranda is more powerful than expected, even Marik's Rare Hunters couldn't stop her. Maybe I can use one of his Rare Hunters for my own when I meet her again.' Yami Bakura schemed.

All three entered into an arcade and most of the people were at the Ski- Ball. Tea questioned the crowd as some watched and others played. She led the boys and asked one of the spectators. "Excuse me, but since when did Ski-Ball become popular."

"Since Bowler made a clear game in nothing flat!" He replied with a smile and shouted back into the game, "Go Bowler!" As did some of the others. Joey looked on to the scoreboards of the five Ski-Ball machines. The second to last from the left showed the highest score, 800. The numbers then read 900 and the games were over. "Wow, the Bowler's awesome! Another straight game!" One of the spectators commented. "Yeah, there's a rumor that she's related to the real Bowler." Another followed. "You mean the one that was on the news two months ago?" a third was audible.

"All right boys, I'm done for the day." a female voice announced as she found her way out of the crowd, "Another hour and I'm off to the Battle City Finals. Wish me luck!" She waved goodbye and found a table for herself after ordering a soft drink.

Tea was behind an arcade video game when she got a good look at her. She had black, shoulder length hair with hazel eyes, almost silver; wearing black glovelettes, a choker with a skull and crossed bowling pins, a dark green shirt under her black jean jacket and jeans just tight enough around her legs. On the table, there was a bowling ball bag with the same symbol as her choker, and a Duel Disc.

Her eyes looked around the arcade and she spotted Joey at the arcade game where Tea was spying. Joey finished up his game and looked at the Bowler. Joey walked up to her and Tea and Bakura watched from the game.

"These seats taken?" Joey greeted and Tea and Bakura slammed themselves to the floor. The Bowler got off her drink and looked to him again.

"Not at all. Joey Wheeler, right? Runner-up in the Duelist Kingdom tournament?" She asked.

"Yeah." Joey smiled, "Hey Tea, Bakura. Drinks on me." He called back. Minutes past as finally they all settled themselves.

"Oh, I forgot to mention my name." the Bowler gasped slightly.

"Well, we know your da Bowler." Joey pointed out.

"I have a real name." She growled. A vein popped in her head and her drink shook in her hand. Tea reached to Joey's mouth and covered it.

"So what is your name?" Tea asked, "I'm Tea, and he's Bakura. You've already know Joey."

"My name's Ashley, Ashley Guinaldo." She replied.

"We saw you at the Ski-Ball, taking on four others." Bakura entered in, "How do you do it? Clear a game like that I mean?"

"OK," Ashley sighed and got herself comfortable on the chair, "Have you ever heard of Ed the Bowler?"

"Great Scott, don't tell me you're the Bowler's daughter." Bakura shocked.

"Actually, I'm the Bowler's daughter's cousin." Ashley corrected.

"Say wha?" Joey gave her a confused look.

"My cousin already took an expertise in swordsmanship and works around Dragon and Warrior-type monsters when it comes to Dueling." Ashley explained. Several phrases caught Joey and Tea's ears.

"Have we heard of him?" Joey asked Tea in a whisper.

"Well, of course, Joey." Tea replied with a mix of anger and disappointment, "He's was on the news with a bit of controversy."

"Yeah, police said he came home late one night and fell down an elevator shaft," Ashley explained, "on to some bullets."

"You know, I'm suspecting a bit of foul play here." Joey wondered.

"As do I." Ashley cut in. Bakura just listened to the story.

"Can you tell us; who is your cousin?" Tea asked in hope that it's not who she thinks it is.

"My cousin is Miranda Guinaldo, she told me she enrolled into Domino High just three weeks ago." Ashley replied and Tea and Joey looked down, "Huh? What's wrong? Miranda's not in the tournament?"

"Oh, she is, just not...right...now." Tea was hesitant to answer.

'So this is one of Miranda's contacts. Interesting, I'll eliminate her first.' Yami Bakura schemed inside the Millennium Ring.

"You're not making any sense Tea." Ashley said, "If there's anything wrong with my cousin, you need to tell me." Tea was shaking with anxiety.

"But you're not making any sense either. Miranda's dad is still alive." Tea objected.

"That's not her dad." Ashley simply stated and Tea withdrew her thoughts.

"Tea, maybe you should just tell her straight out." Joey whispered, "I'd like to know what happened to my family, especially if anything happened to Serenity." Tea gulped and breathed deep.

"Ashley-your-cousin-is-trapped-in-the-Shadow-Realm." Tea spoke like it was one word. Ashley took another drink.

"Tell me how." She coldly demanded.

"What, you know what the Shadow Realm is?" Bakura asked.

"I'll show you my scores, then you show me yours." Ashley simile, "I know about my cousin's Millennium Item and I'm aware of the fact that the Rare Hunters are after Miranda. I know she was missing for five weeks and when we found her, she passed it by as a 'faint memory.' I don't know why the Rare Hunters are after her or where she is now in this tournament. All I know is I want to see her again, I haven't seen Miranda in almost two years. Now tell me what you know about her." Ashley explained.

Joey huffed and admitted his share of friendship with Ashley's cousin. "It turns out that Miranda is stuck in the Shadow Realm because of the Rare Hunters, and even Yugi is trying to save her. Actually, the Millennium Sword is just like Yuge's Millennium Puzzle: the Sword has a spirit from the Past. Her name is MG, at least that's what we've been calling her. As for Miranda, we're relying on the leader of the Rare Hunters to regain her freedom. I know it's hard to believe but that's what Yuge and MG told us." Joey finished.

"I believe you, I just don't see how the leader would help out. Unless... Does the leader of the Rare Hunters carry a Millennium Item?" Ashley asked.

"Marik does have the Millennium Rod." Tea answered.

"Then the only explanation for that action is that the spirit of the Rod possesses Marik. According to Miranda's studies about the Past in Egypt, there have been several attempts to overthrow the Pharaoh." Ashley took the news seriously but didn't show it, 'That cursed son of a gun! If I see him, it'll be too soon! I'll rip him to shreds!' She thought in outrage.

Everyone finished their drinks and they exited the arcade. Joey started the next conversation. "So you have six locator cards already?" Joey asked.

"Well, yeah." Ashley replied, "I'm hoping Miranda does, too. If she does get out of the Shadow Realm."

"I wouldn't worry, if Yugi and MG could trust Marik, than you can hold him to his word, too." Tea answered, "But what's with the bowling ball?"

"I haven't seen any bowling alleys here in Domino yet so Ski-Ball's the next best thing." Ashley cheered up again. They continued to walk down the sidewalk and Bakura spoke up.

"Gotta go guys, I need to check on something." Bakura quickly stated and took an alley off the boardwalk. The others just shrugged their shoulders and continued on.

Bakura secreted himself in the darkness of one alley with the Millennium Ring exposed. 'If I know Marik, one of his Rare Hunters should be by shortly.' Yami Bakura thought and forced the switch. His face was shadowed and his eyes showed insanity. His wicked smile grew when a Rare Hunter came across him.

"Following Marik's orders, I presume?" Yami Bakura simply stated and the Rare Hunter turned around to the alley. Like most of them, he had dark circles under his eyes. Also, off-white fro had shape to it.

"I'm looking for the Bowler." The Rare Hunter replied.

"I know where she is and I know the best way to defeat her. Care to join alliances?" Yami Bakura asked and the Rare Hunter nodded, "Good, I have the perfect Deck but I want you to Duel the Bowler for me." Yami Bakura grinned.

__________

Ashley finally cheered herself to know that her cousin has these great friends. The weight of her bowling ball didn't bother her as she continued down the sidewalk with Joey and Tea. At the end of the sidewalk near the main tournament grounds, a Rare Hunter blocked them.

Yami Bakura watched from a top of a building, 'Perfect, discarding any contacts to Miranda will give me my chance to take her Millennium Sword without interference.' Yami Bakura thought with satisfaction.

"What, another Rare Hunter? I'm really gettin' ticked about you guys!" Joey sounded annoyed. The Rare Hunter stared straight, then looked to Ashley.

"By orders of Master Marik I challenge you to a Duel. I am Raizou the Spirit Channeler of the Rare Hunters." He said.

"I already have six locator cards so I have the option to refuse." Ashley objected. Two Rare Hunters came up from behind and grabbed Joey and Tea.

"You never had an option, refuse and we'll take these two back to Marik." Raizou laid the conditions.

Ashley thought hard for this one, 'Marik, just great. If I refuse they will become Marik's slaves, and I doubt I'll be joining them. If I don't refuse, I'll be risking my rarest cards. I'll take his challenge, Miranda would want it like that anyway. She'd never turn down a challenge, and neither will I.' Ashley put down her bowling ball and prepared her Duel Disc. "I accept you challenge, Rare Hunter. Just let Joey and Tea go."

Yami Bakura smirked at Ashley's bravery to Duel a Rare Hunter. 'Now Rare Hunter, show the Bowler her foretold fate from the spirits. Use the Destiny Board!' Yami Bakura schemed. The Rare Hunter prepared his Duel Disc and already a crowd of people gathered to watch.

"Hey, it's the Bowler!" One of the kids exclaimed, "I've never seen her Duel before!" The spectators were anxious to see the opening plays.

"I'll move first," Raizou drew his card, "And I play the Magical Ghost in attack mode." He called as a green ghost in rags appeared, "I also play two cards faced down and end my turn."

'Great, trap cards. One's probably Mirror Force or Negate Attack. Just hafta wing it.' Ashley thought and looked to her hand, 'All right, two pieces of Exodia. And this Witch of the Black Forest will do it for me!' "OK, this turn I lay one monster faced down in defense and lay one trap card. Your move."

"I'll get rid of your trap card with," Raizou began his turn, "the Mystical Space Typhoon!" He declared and the trap card shattered. "Now I'll tribute my Magical Ghost for Doma the Angel of Silence." Raizou continued as a puff of smoke swallowed the ghost and a dark fairy took its place. "Attack now!" he commanded and Doma went straight for Ashley's defenses.

"Sorry Raizou, but destroying my Witch of the Black Forest allows me to draw a monster card from my Deck into my hand. So goodbye Witch, hello Left Arm of the Forbidden One!" Ashley briefed as one card slid up through her Deck. "Now it's my turn." She began and drew Backup Soldier, 'If I didn't know better, that creep knows I have Exodia and has some crazy twist to his Deck. I better just get the Head last.' "I play one trap card faced down and invoke the powers of my Mystical Elf, in defense mode." Ashley called as a sky blue elf in a lime green dress and blonde hair appeared kneeling.

"No way!" Joey shocked while still in a Rare Hunter's grip.

'I'm sure, you've never expected a Bowler to use Exodia now did you?' Ashley cocked in thought.

"If that's the case, I play Card Destruction." Raizou started his turn by a magic card.

'Figures...' Ashley thought and redrew her hand. "I activate the trap card Backup Soldier, this trap allows me to recover up to three monster cards from the Graveyard to my hand. Exodia pieces, come back to me!" Ashley called as she pulled out three cards from the Graveyard on her Duel Disc. Raizou ended his turn without any monsters to defend his Life Points with. "Now I'll play one monster card in defense mode and two more trap cards. This will end my turn."

'Fool, what are you waiting for?' Yami Bakura thought impatiently, 'Use the Destiny Board now!' It was Raizou's turn again.

"Doma attack her defense now!" He exclaimed and Doma attacked a Blast Sphere.

"By attacking Blast Sphere you've put yourself at risk of a serious Life Point threat." Ashley began, "By your next turn that Blast Sphere will self- destruct, sending your monster to the Graveyard and losing that monster's total attack points. Now that it's my turn, I guess I'll overtax it. I play La Jinn in attack mode." Ashley began with a green genie appearing on the field.

"I activate my trap card, Ring of Destruction." Raizou called as a ring with grenades surrounded La Jinn, "Say `goodbye' to your Life Points Bowler, this will destroy your La Jinn and reduce both of our Life Points by 1800."

"What good will that do? You'll lose 1700 Life Points by my Blast Sphere as it is." Ashley argued.

"Still, just wait until it goes off." Raizou suspended as the ring exploded in front of everyone. Ashley and Raizou's were now at 2200 each. "Now activate Numinous Healer."

"So you'll gain 1000 Life Points, big deal."

"Yes it is. When I used Card Destruction, I tossed away two Numinous Healers. So instead of 1000 Life Points, I'll regain 2000." Raizou reinstated as his Life Points rose to 4200.

"So, this ends my turn." Ashley smirked and Doma was destroyed, Raizou dropped back down to 2500.

"You'll regret that." Raizou cursed, "I now play the ultimate trap card, Destiny Board!" Raizou began his turn and a card revealed itself.

"Destiny Board?" Ashley repeated.

"That's right. Your future has been foreseen, you will lose to this Rare Hunter. In just five turns, the prophecy will be complete, the prophecy of your demise!" Raizou cried.

'That's it, Ashley.' Yami Bakura thought, 'There is no way you can come against Destiny...'

'In five turns?' Ashley gulped, 'I don't think I can draw the last two pieces of Exodia by then.'

__________

Raizou was preparing to win with the Destiny Board and Ashley was struggling to get Exodia. "It's your move Ashley, you're only prolonging your defeat as the Destiny Board acts like an hourglass of your doom."

"Oh, shut up!" Ashley got uptight, "My cousin could make a better metaphor than that. This turn I play another monster in defense mode and activate Swords of Revealing Light!" She called as light swords rained over Raizou, "Try pulling off your big win now. What?" Ashley got cocky until a second card appeared on the field, a ghost with an outline of an "I."

"I told you this would be a timed battle." Raizou cackled, "At every one of your turns a card will appear. That card is the next letter of your defeat, your FINAL Duel. You already spelled in F-I, once you spell 'F-I-N-A-L,' I win." He explained.

'Great, three more turns.' Ashley thought.

"It's my turn now. And for this turn, I'll only lay one monster in defense mode." Raizou played his turn briefly. Ashley looked to her Deck and pulled her next card.

'Gaia the Fierce Knight, hope it'll work.' Ashley prayed, "This turn I sacrifice my Mystical Elf and my Sangan to summon Gaia the Fierce Knight." She called as two clouds of smoke merged into one and a knight on a horse took their place. "And since Sangan has been sent to the Graveyard, I can pull another monster from my Deck. And that monster is Exodia's Right Leg." Ashley ended her turn and the third card appeared on the field, "N." Ashley whispered.

Raizou continued his turn with a wicked grin, "This turn I tribute three monsters from my Graveyard to summon..."

"How is that possible!? You can't tribute monsters from the Graveyard to summon one on the field!" Ashley objected.

"But this is a monster summoning of a different sort. I'm going to tribute to summon the Dark Necrofear." Raizou finished and his monster appeared. Skin tinged a dark shade of blue and wearing one blood red glove and sheets of armor, this monster opposed Gaia with an attack of 2200.

"With an attack of 2200, it's almost hardly a threat to my Gaia." Ashley cocked, "Gaia, attack the Necrofear now!" She commanded and Gaia succeeded in the attack and Raizou lost the hundred-point difference. "This ends my turn." Ashley calls and the next card flipped on Raizou's side, 'A.' Ashley could feel her heart pound, both were just one card away from winning the Duel.

In the beginning of Raizou's next turn, Ashley's Gaia made its way to Raizou's side. "What the?"

"I told you this was monster summoning of a different sort." Raizou taunted, "When the Dark Necrofear is sent to the Graveyard and on my next turn, I can take one of my opponent's monsters into my control. Namely your Fierce Knight."

'This is it. After he attacks, I'm done for.' Ashley thought in her doubts, 'If I use my Monster Reborn on my next turn, he'll still win because of that Destiny Board.' Joey saw Ashley's doubt from the crowd. He broke free of the Rare Hunter's grip and got closer to shouting distance.

"Hey, Bowler! Don't doubt yourself now!" Joey cried.

"Joey's right Ashley." Tea followed, still had her hands secured behind her back, "Yugi taught us this so we'll tell you. Believe in the Heart of the Cards!"

"Right, the Heart of the Cards have never let us down before."

"But I can't pull the last piece of Exodia by my next turn!" Ashley argued.

"Don't say that Bowler!" Joey shouted, "You know as well as I do that I made it to the Finals at Duelist Kingdom, but I couldn't have done it without my friends' support. And I know somewhere, Miranda is countin' on you to win this Duel. The Heart of the Cards can always turn the tide of the Duel right at the last second! So stop mopin', let him take his turn, and believe in the Heart of the Cards...because we believe in you!"

Ashley nodded and took Gaia's attack with one of the trap cards she laid down, "Waboku, defend my Life Points for one turn!" She called and Gaia was cut off by three people that instantly appeared to take the hit. Raizou ended his turn and time froze.

'On this turn, I win or I lose. Believe in the Heart of the Cards, believe Joey, Tea...Miranda.' Ashley thought in prayer, "Come on; give it to me cuz!" Ashley shouted and pulled her next card. Her heart stopped until she saw the card face-up, Exodia! "All right! I play Exodia the Forbidden One!" She declared and a star appeared in front of her. A giant, pharaoh-like monster appeared in battle.

"Exodia?!" Raizou startled, "But how?"

"Yeah! You show that Rare Hunter who's the Queen of the Alley!" Joey cheered with a thumb-up.

"Exodia, obliterate!" Ashley declared and Exodia launched an energy blast straight for Raizou. Raizou took the hit as all of his monsters and cards incinerated in the fire, even the Destiny Board. Raizou dropped to his knees when the attack cleared.

"Ashley you did it!" Tea cheered and broke away from the Rare Hunter. Ashley got congrats from both Joey and Tea as the crowd cheered for her in the circle.

"Bowler! Bowler! Bowler!" The ring of spectators chanted.

Ashley was about to leave until she turned around back to Raizou. "Hold it!" She commanded and the crowd fell silent. Ashley walked up to Raizou and put her hands on her hips. "I've won this Duel. And by Battle City rules, I get your rarest card, your Dark Necrofear." Raizou didn't reply and landed face first on the concrete. Ashley blinked twice before searching his Deck for the Dark Necrofear. She found it and got back up to her feet.

She looked around the ring of people and other Duelists alike, "All right." She simply stated and the crowd went into an uproar again. She made her way out and followed Joey and Tea towards the main tournament grounds. 'Thanks Miranda. And don't worry, when you get out of the Shadow Realm, I'll be the first thing you see.'

To be continued...