Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silenced Legacy ❯ Second Thoughts ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode #10- Second Thoughts

Yami Yugi dived to catch MG but missed. Instead he caught the bottom of the sword holster, MG holding on for the sake of humanity on the other end. The top was pointing downward but MG had the gold blade of the Millennium Sword in her teeth.

MG mumbled through the Millennium Sword, "He's lucky I'm down here or I'd shove his mask in." Yami Yugi helped MG up and Umbra was ready to take Yami down as well.

"Hang on MG." Yami Yugi assured and got her hand on the skylight border. MG cringed at some pain in her right palm, her hand cutting the glass spike remains.

"Now it's your turn, Yugi." Umbra gave MG the fair warning she needed. Before Yami Yugi pulled her up completely, she flung her feet to the bottom of another window and pushed off of that, leading into a back flip that landed her on top of the window again. She still had the Millennium Sword clenched in her teeth. She took Umbra by the elbow and angled him over a kneeling Yami Yugi, sending Umbra down instead. Umbra pulled his parachute before landing on a flag pole near Lumis.

"I'm sure the authorities will handle them." MG nodded in satisfaction and withdrew her Sword. Her face changed expression as some blood came through her cut. MG immediately ripped off a piece of cloth from her kimono sleeve and wrapped it around her hand.

"We need to get going now, it's only a half-hour left before the Finals are set." Yami Yugi got to his feet and MG followed him down the building. It took a good ten minutes to reach the bottom floor and get to the main tournament grounds.

When they got there, some familiar faces were already set for the Finals; Joey, Mai, and another Duelist, as well as Duke, Tristan, Tea and Serenity. "Hey, Joey!" Yami Yugi called as both of them rushed up to the center.

"Yuge, MG. You two made it." Joey greeted and turned to Ashley, "Bowler, these two are Yugi and MG."

"No sign of Miranda?" Ashley asked.

"You know Miranda?" Yami asked her.

"Of course, she's my cousin. I'm Ashley Guinaldo, a.k.a. 'Bowler.' Tea and Joey already explained everything." Ashley replied and looked like she heard something, "What?" She looked into her bowling ball bag and pulled out a clear bowling ball with a skull in it. "Uncle Eddie, no. But I... Uncle Ed, I'm sure Miranda is fine and if she isn't her rage will take care of her."

"Why...are you talking...to your bowling ball?" Tea gave Ashley the 'She's-gone-crazy' look. Everyone else except Yami and MG gave the same look.

"Oh," Ashley looked to the bowling ball on her lap, "you haven't met Uncle Eddie yet, have you?" Ashley held out the bowling ball. Everyone but MG and Yami gave her a blank stare.

"Well, it's no different to my residence in the Millennium Puzzle." Yami Yugi blinked, "There might be more coming."

"I doubt it, Yuge. There's only five minutes in the tournament left." Joey looked at him seriously and a loudspeaker sounded in the main tournament grounds.

"Attention participating Duelists. The tournament is now closed, these Duelists have advanced to the Finals: Ashley Guinaldo, Miranda Guinaldo, MG, Marik Ishtar, Seto Kaiba, Yugi Motou, Mai Valentine, and Joey Wheeler." The loudspeaker announced, "These eight Finalists will report to the choppers at the Kaiba Corporation building tomorrow at noon to begin the Final Duels of this tournament. All Duelists participating in the Finals have no limit to the cards they can use, even allowed to use the rare cards they collected throughout their qualifying matches. Duelists who do not attend tomorrow at noon will be disqualified and their assigned opponents will win by default." The transmission ended.

"Marik Ishtar," Yami Yugi repeated one of the names. MG looked to the competition present.

'Miranda may be in but, where is she?' MG wondered.

"One final announcement." The loudspeaker sounded again, "The Finalists may spend a night at the nearby hotels courtesy of Kaiba Corp. and the Battle City tournament."

Yami Yugi took his room at one of the hotels and roomed with Joey. He got in and laid his valuables on a dresser near the door. Joey made himself at home on one of the beds.

"Sheesh, were do you see places like this? I'm gonna sleep good tonight." Joey asked as Yami looked out the window with heavy thoughts gleaming in his eyes.

"At the Excalibur in Las Vegas, of course." Mai's voice sounded outside the door, "I couldn't help but overhearing you two. Don't sleep in too late, especially you Joey. I'll be bunking with MG in case you're wondering. Good night you two." Mai left from the boys' door with MG behind her. Mai looked back and MG had a longing face.

"Hey, what's wrong with you?" Mai asked her.

"It's nothing, I just had some high hopes I shouldn't." MG replied as they continued on down.

"Well, then I wouldn't get any high hopes about winning the first round of the Finals. Trust me." Mai cocked before she opened the door to their room and entered in.

__________

I still continued on down the boardwalk with Yami Marik in my thoughts and my soul. I hung my head low as I finally came to the fountain with the clock at the top of the pole. I sat down at the rim and looked through my Deck. My 'sixth sense' acted up and I felt Yami Marik again.

'I heard that the Finalists are free to use a hotel for tonight, expenses paid.' Yami Marik started.

"And your point..." I mumbled to myself and stopped sifting through the cards.

'I just thought we could use it.' Yami Marik rolled on.

"Since when do you care about where I go or what I do?"

'Since I've became your guardian angel.' Yami Marik replied.

"Guardian angel?" I commented, "The only reason you're with me is because you know how the flippin' God Cards work with their owners, my bond with Slifer and that stuff. If I knew you were coming I would have defended myself." A pause intruded on us, I felt Yami Marik giving me the 'Yeah, right' impression, "Alright, I'll take the hotel bid." I admitted and went on to one of the hotels. I walked in through the doors and stopped by check-in. "I'm here for the Finalists special."

"State your name, please." The attendant said with an uninterested voice.

"Miranda Guinaldo." I replied and he handed me a room key.

"Room 657. Take the elevator to the sixth floor and take a right from the hallway." He instructed and turned his chair around. I took the key and left with a glare of disrespect behind his back.

'Gee, he's a happy camper.' I thought and took the elevator up. Seconds later I came to the hallway and turned right. 'Room 657, 657.' I wondered and found the room number. I unlocked the door and a small hallway connected to the room. It had two queen size beds in front of a television and a table with two chairs sat in the corner between the TV and the window, also a dresser sat on the other side of the TV. 'Great, just like the Excalibur in Vegas.' I thought and laid my stuff down on the dresser.

'Nice, isn't it?' Yami Marik followed, 'Remember Miranda, while I'm with you, you're an open book to me.'

"Whatever," I blankly stated and collapsed on my bed, back first. Soon an image formed in my mind's eye, Yami Marik. He sat on one of the chairs next to the table with one leg crossed over. He was leaning back with a smile cracked on his face and his eyes sly-slit open. "Great, now I suppose you're going to torment me?" I sarcastically predicted and got to a seating position on the foot of the bed. Yami Marik just shook his head, still he had that clever smile.

"You ought to stop jumping to conclusions, Miranda. It'll be your undoing in the Finals." Yami Marik finally spoke up. "You don't know what your opponent might pull because there are so many possibilities of tactics." He got up from his seat and paced to the dresser, "I'll even retrieve Slifer if you want without Yami noticing it was missing until tomorrow morning." Yami Marik snatched up my Deck and looked through it. He then found my binder and flipped through the pages as well. If anyone else were in here, they'd take this little event three ways. One, I have ESP. Or 2, there's a ghost. Or 3, I've gone completely nuts far enough to do ESP.

"I prefer to have him give it to me personally." I replied and eyeballed him with my Deck.

Late into the night, the digital clock in between the beds read out ten o'clock and we were both still up. The TV kept the background noise of a movie while Yami Marik was still working on my Deck. I was examining the SR (Shadow Realm) Duel Disc's unusual design; five green, leaf-shaped plates made out the Dueling field simulator and the Deck recognizer was in between the two spikes on the Dark Magician's staff-head with the Life Point reader behind it.

"You haven't slept at all yet?" Yami Marik started a conversation.

"Just eager for the tournament, that's all." I replied and placed the Duel Disc back on the dresser, "What, no words of wisdom from the almighty?" I cocked.

"Watch it..." Yami Marik was evident I crossed the line a little too far.

"Watching, watching, watching..." I replied with the tone lowering. I looked to his translucent being and saw a black cloth on the other chair, "What the?" I wondered and got up from my bed. I crossed over and held out the cloak, some of it weighed by the chains.

"Remember that?" Yami Marik asked without looking away from his progress.

"I really didn't think you'd keep this." I commented and saw the hood, the Millennium symbol.

"I want you to wear that for the Finals."

"What?!" I questioned but kept my voice down so it wasn't heard outside the door.

"Well, why not? It's obvious you're working with a Rare Hunter to win this tournament, correct?" Yami Marik pointed out. I looked at the eye stitched on to the cloak again.

"Good point." I agreed and pulled the collar over my head, "Surprised it still fits though."

"You haven't seen me in five weeks, not five years." Yami Marik stated. I finally got myself in the cloak and saw myself in the mirror.

"I haven't seen you at all, only Marik." I answered back while looking in the mirror. Black on black as one chain fell from the collar of the cloak and another weighed down the hood. I sighed and took it off. "I'm turning in for the night, it'll help to wake me at about eight thirty." I said and hung the cloak over the chair again. I climbed into bed and huddled myself in the quilts.

"Not a problem." Yami Marik said and I pulled the covers over. He left his project on the table and made his way towards the other bed. I kept one eye on his as his image seated himself on the bed with no impression. "What problem I can see is a pulled muscle. Perhaps too much practice in the Shadow Realm?" I knew his sarcasm right off the bat for his concern, but my left shoulder blade did irritate me some. I grumbled and lied on the bed with my bad towards him. I nearly dozed off when I could feel Yami Marik's cold, sleight-of-hand on my left shoulder blade, massaging it to try and ease the pain. It helped and I slowly fell asleep while he did it.

10:15pm and Yami Marik returned to his work on the Deck construction. 'Lord of D., The Flute of Summoning Dragon, The Dragon's Bead.' Yami Marik shuffled through the Deck with more cards to work with. 'Miranda, by tomorrow, you will have the ultimate Dragon Deck, even more powerful than Kaiba's. But don't think anything else. I just needed the perfect vessel to safeguard my soul.' He thought to himself, hidden, and returned the Deck to the SR Duel Disc.

__________

Marik took the opportunity and used a hotel for the night. He was still concerned about the event in the Shadow Realm just before the captive left. 'Those shackles were supposed to be intact with the chains. How could Miranda leave with them?' He thought in frustration, 'I can't think about this now. The tournament is tomorrow and as far as I can tell, Yugi has Slifer and Kaiba still has Obelisk. I will get those God Cards by the end of this tournament. Even if 'He' is gone, I still want the Pharaoh's power. But still...' Marik shook his head and got up off the couch.

His room was a single bed with a TV on the right side and a dresser on the opposing wall. A fold-out couch and a small coffee table took the left side of the bed.

Marik huffed and grabbed his Deck off the top of the TV, shuffled it and pulled three cards at random. He laid them out in front of him faced down. Marik flipped the first card, 'Gemini Elf. It's apparent that one of the Duels ahead are played by two, not one. But the Gemini's, being a single monster, these two will be played AS one.' Marik thought and flipped the middle card, 'Maha Vailo. In battle this monster takes the advantages of equip cards. However, here it's supposed to take the advantage of addition. But then it would just be repeating itself by the Gemini Elf.' Marik questioned the cards' readout and flipped the final one, 'Deal of Phantom. If the cards are true, I would get the exact same thing if I were to question the hidden powers of Yugi Motou.' Marik thought hard, 'But I already know that the spirit of the late Pharaoh resides in the Millennium Puzzle.'

Long minutes passed as this became serious for Marik, 'Gemini Elf, Maha Vailo, Deal of Phantom, I just don't get it!' Marik finally looked at the bottom of the Deck, The Winged Dragon of Ra. 'The God Card...wait. I got this card just when 'He' took over my body. Gemini Elf- two minds in one. Maha Vailo- assistance advantages. Deal of Phantom- increase in strength from the Afterlife. The Winged Dragon of Ra- 'Him.' But who has 'He' taken now?' Marik solved one bit but fell into another question. 'I'll figure this later.' He ended his stress and lay down on the bed. Almost instantly he fell asleep and the Millennium Rod slipped from his fingers.

Marik found himself sleeping in sand. He fluttered his eyes open and got to his feet. Finally he got the scene to his eyes, he was back in Egypt near the pyramids. Marik paced to an edge of the sand dunes as he saw numerous people surrounding the pyramids. 'The Tomb-Keepers.' He thought and looked for familiar faces. He saw Odion, and he had a child's shoulder in his right hand. The child had light blonde hair and lavender eye color, wearing off-white, long-sleeved shirt and pants.

'That's me... That's when I got the scrolls of the Pharaoh engraved on my back.' Marik thought and looked to the back of him. Odion led the child to the edge of the Nile River. Young Marik sat down on the dried-out grass and Odion left him there. The whole time, Marik was unnoticed by everyone nearby.

Marik went towards his child but another one sat down beside Young Marik. She wasn't dark-skin, not Egyptian at all. She was white with brown hair and red streaks in the front with brown bangs, all messed up except for the longer hair tied back and down and kind, amber eyes. She wore a Samurai kimono, red and white in color, with a Katano Sword on her left hip.

"Kikaita, I thought you already left. Why are you still here?" Young Marik asked the swordsman.

"I just got a note from Kyoto saying I shouldn't go back yet." She replied, "The Emperor of Kyoto said that the assassin demon is still after the jewel." Kikaita captioned.

'Since when did I know someone named... No, this is all a dream.' Marik thought and shook his head.

"But I've seen you and your Katano Blade, you can handle yourself." Young Marik optimized, then withdrew his voice back to a low tone, "Father said I shouldn't be near you. You'll be killed and it'll be my fault."

"I'm strong but not strong enough to handle some high-powered demons to protect the jewel, that's why the village sent me away." Kikaita took the same expression, "But still, I can't help but think how my family is handling themselves back in Kyoto. The Demons there still run rampage, and we hardly get any outsiders unless they choose to take him on. So far no who has challenged him has ever survived."

Young Marik listened while looking at himself in the Nile. His face cringed and he tried to grip his back. "It hurts." He grunted.

"What?" Kikaita asked.

"A week ago I got the scrolls of the Pharaoh carved into my back. It's tradition to have the eldest son of the Tomb-Keepers pass on guarding the tomb of the late Pharaohs." Young Marik replied, "I'm not really supposed to be out here but Odion lets me go rarely." Young Marik's eyes began to water, "I just feel so alone. Why do I have to give up so much for this Pharaoh who has done nothing for me. Because of this, I'll have to live underground forever."

"I might have something to help. Meet me at my place tonight, Marik." Kikaita got up and rushed off.

'Who...' Marik thought as he now saw nightfall over the pyramids. He treaded to a village nearby where one building only had a light on. Young Marik hid himself in a dark cloak and arrived at the door.

"Hey, you made it." Kikaita greeted him, "Still hurt?"

"Uh huh," Young Marik nodded and Kikaita led him in. Marik slipped in just before the door closed behind them. Kikaita's home was impressive with mats of dried grass everywhere and tables scattered just the same. What caught Marik and Young Marik's eyes was a strange creature the size of a full grown lion. It was fox-shaped with white fur and midnight blue stripes and three longer strands on each shoulder blade stood out, wearing several pieces of white armor and nine tails. It slept soundly in front of an ember still burning. The imposing size startled Young Marik.

"Oh, don't worry." Kikaita came in with a plate with two oranges, "Raikoukou only knows danger when it's nearby." Kikaita kneeled at the largest table there. Young Marik sat across from her and she handed him an orange and a wet cloth. "I'm sure you might want something to snack on while you're here. Just rub the cloth on your back. It always helped for me on sore muscles." Kikaita stated and Young Marik peeled the orange for himself.

After eating several slices he grabbed the cold cloth and tucked it under his shirt on his back. His face cringed but looked relieved. "That felt good, thanks Kikaita." Young Marik said.

Kikaita nodded and lend an inviting smile. "To say the least, I'm in the same boat as you are. When it comes to family traditions, I mean."

"What do you mean?" Young Marik questioned after biting into an orange slice, "You get to travel outside your village. As for me, I can't even seen the sun anymore."

"But my travels aren't vacations, Marik." Kikaita opened up. Marik still stood interested in their conversation. "See, this whole thing started long ago, you might know of Pharaoh Yami and how a swordsman from Kyoto came to his services. That was my ancestor. It has been tradition since to send the eldest swordsman to Egypt with the sacred jewel the demons are after." Kikaita continued as embers crackled in the pit, "And some of the Egyptians of the Pharaoh's court were taught in ways of the Zodiac clan. When that swordsman dies in battle or illness, the taught Egyptian performs the parting ritual and the jewel is brought back to Kyoto. But it's such a hassle. This tradition has gone too far, many have suffered in the passing." Kikaita looked down at her goblet of water. Both of them listened to everything.

The white striped fox's ears perked up and it got to its feet. "Raikoukou, what's wrong?" Kikaita asked and they both got to their feet. Raikoukou growled and sparks began to fly from its shoulders and nine tails. Several pounds sounded before the door broke down and men charged in with daggers and staffs. "Raikoukou, guard Marik." Kikaita commanded and the nine-tailed fox blocked Young Marik from the intruders.

Marik watched everything with wide eyes as still no one noticed him there, 'What in the world? She looks exactly like Miranda.' Marik thought as Kikaita drew her blade and began to fight off the men.

"She's the one. She kidnapped Marik." Odion stated with a hood over his head and the men fled in, attacking Kikaita with everything.

"Odion stop!" Marik commanded but they didn't here him. "Odion, obey me!" Marik reached for his shoulder but fell right through. 'What the heck is going on? They don't hear me, let alone see me.' Marik stepped out of the fight as Kikaita continued to hold them off. Odion walked around the fight and approached Raikoukou.

"Raikoukou, Lightning Cannon!" Kikaita instructed and Raikoukou opened its mouth. Blue sparks flew from its jaws and it fired cracks of lightning straight for Odion. He sidestepped and the lightning hit the front window, leaving a gap in its quake. Kikaita still fought with her sword in her hands and was about to command Raikoukou again. She nearly spoke when a blade punctured her left shoulder blade. Her eyes shot wide as she fell to the ground, breathless. Kikaita's warm amber eyes were now cold with death.

Young Marik and Marik both watched in horror. "Odion, she didn't kidnap me!" Young Marik rushed up to Odion, "Why did you kill her?" He looked down to Kikaita's fallen body.

"I'm sorry, but it was your father's orders." Odion replied and the men took Kikaita away. Odion left last, leaving Young Marik with the nine- tailed fox.

Before Kikaita was dragged completely, a necklace fell from her and landed on the clay floor without any of the glass beads breaking. Young Marik reached for the necklace, small dark violet beads were used to separate white fang-shaped beads and the main piece was the largest bead. It was just a simple fuchsia colored sphere. 'This must be the jewel she was talking about.' Young Marik thought with Raikoukou coming up behind him. He looked to Raikoukou with tears in his eyes. Young Marik embraced the fox's neck and cried on its white fur. "Kikaita..." Young Marik whispered to himself. Raikoukou soon faded away and left Young Marik in the empty house. "Kikaita!" He cried at the top of his lungs. Marik still stood there then found himself in front of his father. Young Marik stood with Ishizu as his father faced the current Pharaoh.

"Kikaita Guinaldo is a successor to the Swordsman that served our late Pharaoh Yami well, right to his last day of rule." The Pharaoh preached, "An act such as this cannot be tolerated. In three days, your blood will make an offering to our God Ra. Seal him in the dungeon!" Guards took him and sent him out and Young Marik shifted his eyes back to the crowd behind him. On one of the roofs of the buildings, Raikoukou watch the trial and vanished.

"Kikaita." Marik shocked and breathed laboriously. He was back in the hotel room, the clock read two in the morning. Marik laid his head on the bed and stared up to the ceiling, 'That was no dream. I knew Kikaita before the tournament.' He thought and looked to a gold box with the Millennium Symbol and small hieroglyphics engraved on all the sides. He opened it and right there on top of everything else was the same necklace. 'Kikaita, I hear you, but what do I do now? What are you trying to tell me?'

To be continued...