Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silenced Legacy ❯ Past Allies: Miran's Army, Part 1 ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode #16- Past Allies, Part 1

The Duel has only begun. Yami Yugi held a Magnet Warrior in attack mode while Miran was defensive with a Command Knight and Yugi's turn. Yami Marik watched undetected from the sidelines. 'I could expect nothing less. Even by her first move, Miran is determined to win to free Miranda. But she hadn't bonded to Miranda's soul like I have.' He thought with a smirk on his face.

"Alright, since I can't attack your Command Knight by her high defense, I'll switch my Beta to defense and play Gazelle in defense as well." Yami declared as his Magnet withdrew and a Gazelle appeared above its card. "Your move."

"Sorry Yugi, but I was expecting you to attack by a higher attack-point monster." Miran smirked and drew another Command Knight, "So this time, I'll summon another Command Knight in attack mode and activate my trap card, Ultimate Offering." Miran declared as one of her cards flipped face-up.

"Ultimate Offering?" Yami questioned.

"It's a trap card that allows me bring any amount of monsters to the field before or after my initial summoning by a cost of 500 Life Points per monster." Miran explained, "But that card will become very useful to me at a later date. And to resume my play, my first Command Knight will go into attack mode."

"But their attack points are weaker than my defense monsters." Yami pointed out.

"That would be true." Miran countered, "Except you've made a miscalculation in my monsters' ability. While my Command Knights are on the field, my Warrior monsters gain 400 attack points and that includes my Command Knights. But since I have TWO Command Knights on the field, they both get an 800-point bonus in their attack strengths."

'That's not good.' Yugi commented in Yami's mind.

"Command Knights, attack!" Miran declared as both of her soldiers struck down together with heavy swords to destroy Beta and Gazelle, "It's your move Yugi, although it would be pointless to attack." Miran boasted.

"Alright," Yami breathed and drew, 'Swords of Revealing Light might help. It'll give me enough time to summon a monster powerful enough to destroy Miran's Command Knights.' Yami thought and began his turn, "First I'll play Swords of Revealing Light, this will hold down your soldiers for three turns. Next, I summon the Obnoxious Celtic Guardian in attack mode." He declared as a Celtic Guardian appeared after a small light show.

`Obnoxious Celtic Guardian? What kind of card is that?' Miran thought.

"I will also lay two cards faced down and end my turn." Yami called as a card aligned itself behind the Celtic Guardian.

Miran made her draw and reviewed her hand. The draw was Troop Commander. "OK Yugi, I don't think you're going to like this, but this turn I summon the Troop Commander, in attack mode. As well as paying five hundred of my Life Points to summon Don Zaloog in attack mode." Miran declared as two other monsters appeared, "And they both get the power boost from my Command Knights, so Don Zaloog is at 2200 and my Troop Commander is at 2000."

"No way, Miran's actually stock-piled her monsters like a huge army." Joey commented as he looked on, "I hope Yuge's Celtic Guardian can take the hit."

"Of course not, that Celtic Guardian only has an attack power of 1400. Any of Miran's monsters can take it out and then the rest will strike Yugi's Life Points directly." Kaiba hissed with his arms folded.

'Don't be so sure of underestimating Miran's determination or Yugi's skill, Kaiba.' Yami Marik thought, 'The Obnoxious Celtic Guardian has a special effect that will freeze Miran's squadron in their tracks.'

"Sorry Miran, but my Swords still have a full three turns." Yugi reminded.

"So I'll keep my squadron at a standby. It's your turn." Miran stated and handed turn over to Yugi.

'Miran has her force ready to attack if we don't do something and fast.' Yugi panicked.

'I've got it covered.' Yami counter thought, "Alright, this turn I play Kuriboh in defense mode and switch my Celtic Guardian to defense as well." He played out as another monster appeared in defense.

Yami Marik took his eyes off the Duel and to the closed elevator, 'Hm, Serenity must be going to check on Miranda now. But this Duel doesn't have breaks in the turns. Oh well, possessing one mortal was a start. I'll have fun toying with this one as well.' Yami Marik thought with a grin, unnoticed by the others, and sank through the floor.

Marik gave off a slight "hm?" like he heard something. He gazed towards Kaiba's side of the sidelines, looking at the empty space next to him. 'He can't be back. The evil inside Miranda, I hope Yin-Yang doesn't mean 'Him.'

__________

Serenity took the elevator to the rooms, solemnly wishing that everything would be OK. She stood in the middle with her left hand holding her right elbow and her eyes to the floor. 'Something just doesn't feel right with Miranda. I mean, this is the first time I actually saw her, but if Joey is concerned, then she is a friend of my brother.' Serenity thought as the elevator stopped with a small jolt and the doors slid open. Serenity stepped out and paced down the hall, 'Room 7, right?' She thought to herself and came to the door first. Serenity breathed deeply before tapping the steel lightly with her knuckles. "Miranda, are you asleep in there?" She asked in her shy tone. She got no answer. Again, she knocked and the door slid open. Her brother's friend lying asleep in bed.

Serenity took one step in and shuddered at the shoulders, 'Why do I get a chill in here? Surely Miranda can't sleep in this cold.' She thought and stepped in further.

Kikaita was still kneeling next to the bed. Staring hopelessly, she couldn't touch her daughter's living flesh, but she knew her living soul is in the Shadow Realm. The crack of light didn't change the room except giving a dim glow. Kikaita's image was still undetected by Serenity. "Miranda, wake up." She said with a quiver in her voice. She came closer to the bed where the black Duelist slept. Serenity went for her shoulder and nudged it. "Come on Miranda, wake up." she said again. Though the occupant didn't stir. She wasn't dead; she had a pulse and breath, but didn't move a muscle.

Kikaita bit her bottom lip. She knew her daughter was locked in the Shadow Realm, but Serenity didn't. She wanted to let it all out, but she didn't know how strong her psyches were.

Serenity let go of her arm, seeing how it was useless to wake her. She waited along bedside, unaware of what was behind her. The door automatically slid shut and locked itself, the darkness returned and a chill flew up Serenity's back. Kikaita also knew. Kikaita was ready to oppose the intruder but froze in her halfway position; feeling weakened and kneeled back without an impression in the carpeting.

"What's going on here? This isn't funny Tristan." Serenity already began to point fingers but this was no prank.

"Whoever said that one of your friends was doing this?" A demonic voice startled Serenity. Serenity's heart began to pound in her chest as she stumbled back on the bedside.

"Who's there?" Serenity demanded with both fear and courage in her voice. Serenity looked to the locked door and an image came to her eye.

'No, not another one.' Kikaita thought in her weakened state. Before Serenity, Yami Marik was made visible to the residences in the room. He had that same sinister grin on his face.

"Who are you?!" Serenity demanded with tears welling in her eyes. Yami Marik kneeled and struck his right palm towards Serenity's left wrist. Surprisingly, as a ghost figure, he was able to pin Serenity's hand on the bedside, still he didn't disturb the sleeper.

"If I were to tell you, it would be pointless. Just like your attempt to wake Miranda." Yami Marik replied in his evil tone, "Her mind and soul are locked in the Shadow Realm, just as yours will be." Serenity's heart sank in the pool of fear Yami Marik sought delightful.

"Bad chance." Another voice came out. Yami Marik looked to his left and a swordsman much like Miran appeared with a Reverse Blade in her hands. "You let her go now." She demanded Yami Marik smirked; he still had Serenity by the wrist.

Serenity wanted to scream out, but her voice was paralyzed. She could scream out, she couldn't talk now; her fear took her over and kept her in a silent state of constant terror.

"Kikaita, you should let me do what I want. Your death has been avenged eight years ago thanks to me." Yami Marik stayed in his kneeling position, still holding Serenity.

"My death was never avenged." Kikaita denied.

"Oh, no? But two days after Marik's father was put away, he was killed in his dungeon cell." Yami Marik stood up with Serenity still tightly in his hand and Serenity got to her feet with him. "I possessed Marik into killing his own father. Your death had turned Marik into the evil soul he is now."

"His anger and sorrow fed you. You're the one who tainted his soul with bitter hatred." Kikaita argued with the sword clutched in both hands.

"Kikaita, you're such a fool. Mortals couldn't stop me; Yin-Yang couldn't break me. What makes you think YOU can stop me?" Yami Marik used his available hand and pulled the Millennium Rod from his belt loop. "Besides, you aren't gifted with the Millennium Sword's power, making you vulnerable to my Millennium Rod's powers." Yami Marik threw his hand out with the Millennium Rod and an invisible force flung Kikaita to the wall, forcing her to drop the sword.

"JOEY!" Serenity screeched at the top of her lungs. Just about every room on the blimp could hear her cry.

* * * *

The Duel seemed to be at a standstill. Miran had her army ready to strike once the swords lost their light with a solid 7500, and Yugi prepared himself for the worst, though his Points were still at 8000. Joey seemed to concentrate hard on the Duel, as if nothing could break his trance. Then, out of the blue, a shock of thought blasted Joey's mind, shattering his key thought.

"What the?" Joey looked to the elevator doors.

"What's wrong, Joey?" Mai wondered.

"I dunno. But this feeling is telling me something's wrong down below. I'll go check." Joey sprinted from the crowd.

"I'll go with you." Ashley followed in the same pace. Both of them darted through the elevator doors and Joey frantically pressed a button. In descend of the elevator, both of them waited impatiently for the doors to open.

__________

"You let her go now!" Kikaita demanded sternly while still against the wall, "She's done nothing to you." The whole time, the silent occupant remained motionless.

"You know, I don't always play by the rules because I make them." Yami Marik smirked while still restraining Serenity with a single hand.

Serenity pulled up one bit of courage, enough to try and strike a blow to Yami Marik's face with her available hand. She clenched it into a fist before it made "contact" with Yami Marik. "Huh?" Serenity surprised herself. Yami Marik didn't react to the hit except a wince in his left eye. "Joey! Help me!" Serenity cried for help again.

"I've had just about enough." Yami Marik said and released Serenity. She just as quickly staggered to her feet so her hands supported her on the mattress. He possessed the Rod in his right hand and got to his feet. He flashed the Rod at Serenity. The head flashed gold once and Serenity collapsed to the carpeting.

"Monster!" Kikaita shrieked while still being pinned to the wall, unable to reach her sword.

"You're next Kikaita, you can count on it. My corruption to your family is not yet over, two more Duels lie ahead of Miranda and she will win this tournament on my behalf, or in my control." Yami Marik grinned and turned to the door, still locked shut. "I will take my leave now. I still have a Duel to watch upstairs." Yami Marik bid his unlikely farewell before his image showed him levitating up through the ceiling. Kikaita was still weak and pinned to the wall, but she had enough strength to keep herself undetected from other mortals.

* * * *

"Ashley, which room is Miranda's?" Joey asked with seriousness in his tone just as the elevator stopped.

"Room 7." Ashley answered and the silver doors slid open. They both sprinted out and the first door on the left was Room 7.

"Miranda! Serenity! Open up! It's Joey!" Joey cried as he slammed his fist against the door. After five slams and no response, Joey was setting himself up for a roundhouse kick. He launched his right leg out and nailed the door. It still didn't open. "It's locked."

"Maybe this might help." Ashley took off her Duel Disc and handed it to Joey. She still had the bowling ball bag in her grasp and grabbed it double-handed, ready to swing it like a baseball bat. Ashley made her strike after the door began to slide open while Joey pushed on it. She managed to stop her swing before it hammered Joey in the back of the head. Both of them settled down a little as Joey continued to pull the door open manually.

The lights were off; the only light was the hallway's light fading the room's darkness. Joey opened the door all the way and Ashley scanned her hand on the wall to find the light switch. One small click and the florescent lighting flashed on. Ashley's cousin was sleeping peacefully on the bed with her cloak draped over her like a blanket and no reaction from the light, and Serenity lying asleep on the shag carpeting with no answer to wake either.

"Serenity." Joey lowered from his demanding tone and dropped to the floor first. He grabbed Serenity's shoulders and lifted her. She was still breathing, just refusing to gain consciousness. "Serenity, come on sis', wake up." He softened his tone more.

Ashley walked up to her cousin's bed. She was still sleeping like nothing happened. "Miranda. Hey, wake up cuz." Ashley tried to nudge her shoulder, "No use. Both of them are out cold." Ashley murmured.

Joey cradled Serenity in his arms. He took another look at her face, both eyes were open but with the sense of unconsciousness. It reminded him of how Mokuba was after his soul was taken by Pegasus-the exact same stare of unawareness. "Whoever did this...is gonna pay dearly. No one takes my sister's soul away." Joey growled.

"It was probably that Yami Marik character you keep talking about." Ashley put a hand to her hip and looked to her cousin again. An ominous silence flooded the room just as the Shadow Realm's magic moments ago.

* * * *


Miran was on high alert of her connection with her counterpart. Just recently she lost her energy signature. She had to ignore the emptiness; she had to focus on the Duel so she can save her. She made her draw: Mystical Space Typhoon. 'Perfect, it'll destroy his Swords and I can attack him all at once.' She thought, "Alright, first I'll summon another monster, Makyura the Destroyer!" She declared as a fifth monster appeared on her side of the field, a sleek warrior dressed in plated armor and claw blades set as weapons, "And just as my other Warriors, it gains 800 more attack points by my Command Knights." Miran briefed as her Makyura's attack points climbed to 2200, "You're finished, Yugi!"

'I've never seen Miran like this before.' Yugi commented in thought, 'But I still have Swords of Revealing Light.'

'I have to win, for Miranda's sake.' Miran thought, 'But, consequences hide behind every victory. What would happen if Yugi were to lose this Duel? Err, I can't go back. I won't.' Miran shook her head.

"You forget I still have two turns for my Swords of Revealing Light before they wear off." Yami reminded.

"So take your turn, it's not like it's going to do you anymore good than what you have now." Miran cocked.

"Very well, I'll place Gamma the Magnet Warrior in defense mode and use Monster Reborn to bring back my Beta in defense." Yami played his turn quick as two magnet monsters appeared on the field.

Yami Marik returned unnoticed to view the Duel again, nothing has changed except a few added monsters and Swords of Revealing Light freezing Miran. 'Well, that was a little too easy. I still need more entertainment; this tournament has yet to surprise me. But soon, I will rise to victory no matter who wins. Very soon...'

To be continued...