Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silhouette ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SILHOUETTE
 
A/N: Sorry again for the typo's…most of them I did not notice until I posted the chapter, and I was so concerned with getting it up that I didn't even go through it. I was in the heat of the moment too…just finished writing it and instantly put it up, was so happy for once with how the chapter turned out. `
Thanks to Tavia454, Junki, Toxic Hathor, Moon Princess Kagura, Kuroneko1571 and Yami Yashi for the wonderful reviews, I am so glad that you all like this as much as you say you do, you're making me very very happy that I decided to try and write fanfiction again. lol. I'm going to give thanks also to my boyfriend and to Soularia Reed for helping me with every little problem I have ran into with this fic, and for their constant support. Hope this chapter pleases all of you, and sorry again for the long wait for the last chapter…and for this one, wrote most of it by hand at work when it was dead…which wasn't often…and just, the schedule I have had for this week has been hectic never mind the fact that I've barely been sleeping. The only other…set back…would be that my cat broke the little USB flashdrive that I use to save both this story and the novel I am working on…so I have been in a panicked rush trying to see if any of my friends have received any parts of my novel…><
 
CHAPTER FOUR
 
The slow rhythmic beat of a heart monitor machine mingled with the audible breathing from the occupant of the hospital bed. The other three people in the room were keeping a constant and exhausted vigil over him, one sitting beside him and almost desperately clinging to his hand, one sat in another chair across the room and the other was leaning against a wall. Their eyes were constantly switching between the heart monitor and the young man on the bed. They were silent as they waited for the doctor to come in and give them the detailed report on the damage done, a report that they were both anxious for and dreading.
 
Sighing Bakura shifting his weight from one foot to the other, scrubbing his face with his hands he glanced up at the clock, it was almost six in the morning. They had been here since just after midnight; first they impatiently paced in the waiting room through the gruelling three-hour surgery, then the two-hour waiting period afterward merely added to their worry. The doctor had come to find them right after the surgery, informing them that they had to resuscitate Yami once while repairing the internal damage from both the bullet and whatever had been used to bludgeon his chest and stomach, and warning them that they had yet to be able to wake Yami from the anaesthesia and they doubted that they would. All the doctor said was that there was a great amount of damage, enough that Yami's body had shut down and was in a sort of comatose state. While the last hour they had spent waiting in this hospital room for the doctor to come in and give them the full report.
 
Crossing his arms Bakura averted his attention back to Yami's lethargic form, ghosting his eyes over the young mans body as he had done over and over again for the last hour he assessed the damage that was visible with the naked eye. There were far more bruises now than were even noticeable when he had carried him out of the fire. They had all darkened and littered his arms and face, some of the ones he had before were significantly darker, obviously from further damage. A breathing tube was lodged down his trachea and hooked up to a large oxygen tank behind the bed, it was breathing for him, forcing adequate but slow amounts of oxygen into his system his chest rising and falling subtly from it. His entire chest was thickly bandaged protecting the extensive amount of injuries there. Several IV and morphine lines were sticking out from his elbow, needle marks from the doctors being unable to find sufficient veins red and glaring. The bronze skin that he was already used to was ashen from blood loss and trauma, both mental and physical. His one wrist, the one he remembered being injured before, was splinted and bandaged, obviously badly sprained or broken.
 
Shaking his head Bakura pushed himself away from the wall and walked over to Soren, gently placing a hand on the young EMT's shoulder. Soren had finally calmed down about two hours ago, his crying stopped along with his need to hit something. He was pale as well, worry clearly weighing down on him, his eyes filled to the brim with tears as he continued to hold Yami's limp hand and run his other up and down the bruises. Soren almost jumped when he touched him, grip tightening on Yami's hand, looking up at him he offered a weak smile, “You scared me.”
 
“Sorry,” Bakura murmured, patting Soren's shoulder. “I don't know about you, but I could use something hot to drink, something to wake me up, how bout you?”
 
Nodding Soren loosened his grip on Yami's hand, “That would be great, I'm not planning on leaving here, not until they kick me out.”
 
Grey smiled, rising to his feet he moved over and stood beside Bakura, “I could go for that too, probably something to eat as well.”
 
“Not yet I am afraid gentlemen,” came a voice followed by a small fist knocking on the door. Rounding on the intruder the three stared at the older doctor whom was standing in the doorway, clipboard in hand. It was the same doctor that had done the surgery. “I am sorry that it took so long for me to come, but the hospital has been rather busy tonight.”
 
“That's fine,” the three answered in unison, Grey and Bakura instantly sitting down in nearby chairs, all intently looking at the doctor.
 
Inhaling slowly the doctor stepped into the room and closed the door behind him, eyes peering down at the clipboard through the lenses of his glasses, “Where do I begin, I mean, this young man was obviously beaten fairly violently. His spleen was ruptured, there was damage to both kidneys and the bullet ricocheted around in his chest and stomach. It first entered in his left lung just below his heart and thankfully away from the aorta, and bounced around a bit before finally lodging in his large intestines. Needless to say there were few organs that were not at least grazed by the bullet. There was a lot of internal bleeding; obviously he was beaten in the chest and stomach with a metal bar or something akin to that. If he had arrived minutes later than he did, we would not have been able to save him. All the previous injuries he had have merely worsened, his concussion thankfully is not severe but not exactly a nice one, and his wrist and back sustained more damage. His sternum is broken, along with about eight of his ribs, the rest are strained or bruised. He has some smoke inhalation damage; his asthma did not help the issue. In short, he's lucky to be alive; he should not have made it through surgery.”
 
All three dropped their heads in dismay, taking in the dismal information. Shaking Soren began to absently rub Yami's hand, focus trained on the doctor, “Will he make it?”
 
The doctor sighed deeply, his expression grave, “With the comatose state that his body is currently in, his chances are low. If he doesn't start breathing on his own and wake up within the next forty-eight hours, his chances will go from the forty percent probability I am giving him, to twenty. It's up to him now, whether he wants to survive this or not, there is nothing more we doctors can do other than to sustain the care we are currently giving him.”
 
Stifling a sob Soren shook his head in disbelief, “Why did this happen?” he stammered, leaning into Grey's hand as the detective rubbed his back comfortingly.
 
Shifting the doctor glanced between all of them, “I suggest that you contact his family as soon as possible.”
 
“Heh, what family,” Soren scoffed bitterly, his tears returning, dark eyes glaring at the doctor, barely catching the startled expressions Bakura and Grey were giving him. “His Mother's side of the family hasn't spoken to him since he was ten, and there is no one left on his Dad's side that he is aware of. My family is the closest thing he has left for relatives right now.”
 
Pursing his lips the doctor turned to leave the room, seemingly un-phased by the outburst, “Then call your family, they may wish to be here encase he doesn't make it,” with that he vacated, closing the door behind him.
 
Glaring at the door Bakura clenched his fists, resisting the urge to follow the doctor and give him a piece of his mind, namely his fist connecting with his face. Releasing a calming breath he looked across at Soren, instantly his anger was replaced with melancholy and sympathy. Soren was trying to keep himself in check, trying to keep the tears back as he stood up and tightly embraced Yami's limp form, his pleading words barely above a whisper but clear as day in the silence of the small hospital room. Hanging his head Bakura stared at the floor, he could only imagine what Soren was going through, never in his life had he lost or almost lost someone dear to him.
 
“I should probably try and call his Grandfather...at least have the common courteously to tell the bastard what has happened, though he will probably have nothing nice to say,” Soren sniffled, sitting back down in his chair, hands never leaving Yami's.
 
“Why hasn't Yami spoken to him for so long?” Grey questioned, even though he had been a distant friend of Garret's he knew nothing of the man's family, Garret never spoke about it.
 
Wiping away his tears Soren looked between the two of them, “For one, all of Tawni's family lives in Ireland, where she was born and raised. The other, Gabriel, Yami's grandfather, is one of the most racist pigs I have ever not had the pleasure of knowing existed. Basically, Tawni's father is on of those people that believes that only white people are good and smart, and white people should never mix with other ethnicities. Well, as you can probably imagine, Tawni marrying Garret didn't exactly go over well, never mind when they had Yami. Tawni and Garret had been trying to have kids for over five years before they had him, and all Gabriel could say was that Yami should be burned because of his mixed blood. On Yami's tenth birthday, Gabriel phoned for the first time to talk to him, only to call him dirty blood and then hang up. Needless to say since she moved here, Tawni has spoken to her parents maybe five times. Once when she got here, next when she got engaged to Garret, next when they got married, after that when Yami was born and then when Yami was in the hospital a few years ago, that's all.”
 
Blinking in disbelief Bakura and Grey exchanged stunned looks, leaning forward in his chair Bakura pressed, “Why was Yami in the hospital a few years ago?”
 
Down casting his eyes Soren expounded, his hand tightening again on Yami's, “About three years ago, just after Garret got out of the gang unit, Yami and I were walking home from soccer practice late at night and we got mugged in the alley behind his house. They were going to rob us and beat Yami in hopes to pay Garret back for something that he did. I tried to stop them, and one pulled out a knife and charged at me…somehow Yami had gotten away and jumped in front of me. The knife hit him in the stomach; had to remove his appendix and repair the damage done to one of his kidneys, he was in critical condition for a week. He jumped in front of that knife without any concern for himself and nearly died because of it, just to save me. But, Gabriel could have cared less. In fact, he told Tawni that God was finally doing the right thing and getting rid of her mistake.”
 
Stiffly running his hand through his hair Bakura stared at Yami's face, “What happened to Tawni?”
 
“She was murdered,” Soren murmured running a shaky hand through his hair, immediately catching the knowing look on Grey's face. “Yami found her.”
 
“What!?” Bakura exclaimed. “That's not what I heard!”
 
Sighing Soren reluctantly nodded, “We went out to a movie with a couple of friends, well, after convincing Yami that he needed to get out of the house. When him and I returned to him house afterwards the front door was broken open, I ran to call the police and he went to check and see if his Mom was alright, she was sleeping when we left.” Voice cracking Soren bowed his head, his body trembling in an attempt to suppress his emotions, rubbing the fresh tears from his eyes he willed himself to continue. “Never in my life have I seen Yami like he was that night when he found her, he was a mess. I heard him cry out from his parent's room, when I got upstairs he was trying to wake her up, and ended up rolling her over just as I turned the bedroom light on. That was the first time I have ever heard Yami scream and one of the few times I have ever see him openly cry. The bed was covered in blood…whoever had broken in had shot Tawni at least ten times, most of the bullets hitting the back of her head. Her face was gone…there was so much blood, and so many exit wounds, if you didn't know it was her there was no other way to identify her. He was cradling her, and no matter what I did he refused to let her go when the police arrived. A police officer and I had to hold him back so we could get her into a body bag.
 
“When Garret arrived Yami refused to let him see her, refused to let him into the bedroom where the police officer and I were trying to calm him down. My Dad had to keep Garret out until Yami was ready to let him come near him. We ended up having to take Yami to the hospital, his asthma went out of control…even his puffer couldn't calm his breathing.”
 
Swallowing harshly Bakura slouched in his chair, his gaze returning to Yami's sleeping face. He could feel his throat going dry from the welling emotions within him, suddenly feeling thankful for the life he had led so far. Biting his lip he closed his eyes, Yami was barely twenty-years-old and already he had been through hell and back twice, and was now being forced to endure it again. Heaving a shaky breath he questioned, “Did they at least find the killer…or is it still an open case?”
 
“Cold case…the killer was never found, all leads hit dead ends. The only two that still consider it an open case are Yami and Garret,” Soren said softly.
 
“So much for closure,” Grey grunted.
 
Standing up Bakura turned to leave the room, “I'm going to go get some coffee and food, do you two still want something,” he questioned, sharply changing the subject. Gaining a nod from both of them he opened the door and stepped out into the hallway. “Alright, I'll be right back.”
 
Closing the door as quietly as possible Bakura began to aimlessly wander the hallways, slowly making his way towards the cafeteria. He needed out of that room and getting the coffee and some food was as good of an excuse as any. Never in his life had he sat in a hospital, never mind with someone so gravely injured. Violently he shook his head, ignoring the weird looks he received, trying to erase Yami's image from his mind. It didn't help; he could not get any part of carrying the young man from the burning inferno, nor watching hum unconscious and artificially breathing in a sterile white room. Heaving a shaky sigh he focused his attention on finding the cafeteria in hopes of briefly forgetting the nights events.
 
It did not take him long to stumble into one of the many cafeterias in the large hospital. Scowling in disappointment of the short walk he went and ordered the items he wanted. Balancing the three steaming cups of coffee and muffins he meandered back to the room, glad when no nurses moved to aid him with his large load.
 
Reaching the door he give it a gentle kick. Grey was there immediately, opening it and stepping aside to let him in before closing it behind him. Setting the tray on a small table Bakura took the cream and sugar he grabbed and put them in two of the cups. Handing those two cups and two of the muffins to Soren and Grey, he took his own black coffee and muffin before nonchalantly dropping down into a chair.
 
Shuddering at the surge of warmth the coffee game him Soren relaxed back into his chair, letting go of Yami's hand for the first time since he was taken out of the recovery room. Glancing between the two detectives a glaring question rose in hi s mind, carefully, as not to offend, he asked, “Why have you two stayed…I mean, both of you barely know him.”
 
Exchanging a silent thought and an agreeing nod, the two detectives smiled at him. Grey leaned close to him, balancing his coffee in his hands, “We don't need to know him well to care. Besides, we want to see him pull though we did help save him. Also, out of our respect and friendship with his father…. and, you looked like you needed some company too.”
 
Stunned Soren smiled gratefully at them, “Thank you.”
 
“No need to thank,” said Bakura between large mouthfuls of his muffin. “We'll stay as long as we can, or as long as you want us to.”
 
“That's not up to me,” Soren murmured. “Stay as long as you want, I won't stop you.”
 
The group few silent, all drawing back into their own thoughts while downing their coffee and muffins. Bakura's mind was wildly racing; mentally flipping through all the pages of notes they had on the case, through images of the crime scenes and finally through the immense suspect pool. Internally growling he rubbed his temple in an attempt to ward off the pounding headache forming behind his eyes.
 
Opening his eyes again, and like earlier, he locked on Yami. Narrowing said eyes he crossed his arms. It abruptly struck him as suspicious that he and Grey had just confirmed their theory that change in symbol may signify the megalomaniacs want to start targeting the two EMT's, and now Yami was in critical condition in the hospital. Somehow this seemed like far too much of a coincidence to be overlooked. Tapping his foot on the floor he snapped his gaze to Soren, perhaps now was the best time to warn the EMT about their suspicions. Decision made he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees.
 
“There is something we need to tell you Soren,” Bakura started, gaining the confused attention of Soren and the questioning one of Grey. “I'm warning you now, though, it's not something you're going to like, but I am starting to believe it has something to do with Yami's current predicament.”
 
“Kura', what are you talking about?” Grey pressed, uncertain where this was going.
 
“Think about it Grey, what were we talking about just before we went to report to Garret,” Bakura said, giving his partner a soft glare, glad when Grey's face lit up in understanding. “As you are probably aware, the victim you and Yami saved was killed in this hospital the other night.”
 
Clenching his jaw Soren reluctantly nodded, “Yes, I am aware; Yami and I heard the broadcast during our last shift.”
 
“Well,” continued Bakura, placing his now empty coffee cup on the nearby table. “He changed the symbol on the victim's stomach from the Caduceus, to the Paramedics symbol.”
 
Jaw dropping Soren stared at him in stunned disbelief, “Wha…What?”
 
Bobbing his head in confirmation Grey finished, “We believe the killer may target you and Yami after he is done this revenge spree we think he's on.”
 
Putting two and two together Soren clenched his free hand, “You don't think this was a random attack…the one on Yami and Garret…do you?”
 
“No,” Bakura stated. “But, we won't be able to determine anything towards that theory until Yami wakes up and the forensics team gives us what they find at the house.”
 
Gulping roughly Soren took a slow swig of his coffee, trying to ignore the violent churning his stomach was doing. “I doubt it was done by on person, even injured Yami is amazing when it comes to self defence, Garret and Tawni made him go through eight years of Judo and Jujitsu training.”
 
Bakura frowned, that would explain why he could fight so well, and why he broke my nose with no effort. Tentatively he touched his still bandaged nose, wincing when the motion caused it to flare with sharp pain, growling at his damaged pride he slumped back in his chair. “I doubt the killer would have done the attack himself, and I doubt that he wanted Yami dead.”
 
“And why would you say that?” Soren demanded.
 
“He's a perfectionist, you and Yami damaged his precious ego. Thus, I highly doubt he wanted Yami killed, he would rather do it himself to his standards. I think this is just a warm up, a precursor per say. I believe that he wanted Garret gone, Garret was a huge and powerful man, intimidating, and he probably knows that Garret would go through hell and back to protect his son. And, in doing this, Yami's weakened, thus an easier target to play with,” shrugging his shoulder's Bakura peered between Grey and Soren. “It's an ugly reality, but that seems to be how this prick thinks. He's obviously going after Yami first, probably because he did the most damage. But, at the same time, that sounds odd for him, you would think that he would take his time killing the one that punched at his ego the most.”
 
Numbly Soren nodded, “I didn't do anything except keep the patient from bleeding out. Yami did all the fighting.”
 
Furrowing his brow Bakura scratched his chin in thought, “He may not even want to touch you then, he probably didn't even notice you were there, he would have been so absorbed in Yami challenging him to even see you.”
 
“That would explain why he hasn't done anything to you yet,” Grey said pointedly at Soren. “Yami was the one that attacked him, and with how much of an ego manic and perfectionist he is, he would only have noticed the one challenging him.”
 
“That's comforting,” Soren grunted, fingers reaching out to take hold of Yami's hands, biting his lip when he noticed how badly they were trembling. “Can you find a theory to revoke him from the killers list now?”
 
Forlornly the two detectives shook their heads, “I wish it was that easy,” Grey murmured.
 
Sighing dejectedly, Soren stood up stiffly and walked to the door, “I had better start phoning people, be right back,” with that he stepped out into the hall and closed the door.
 
The instant the door was closed Bakura moved his chair up to the side of the hospital bed. Waving off the questioning look Grey was sending him way he nervously took one of Yami's hands, his other ghosting over the IV's in his elbow with a pained expression, “In the years that I have been a police officer, even a detective, I have never seen someone alive with this many injuries. Never once in my life have I even sat in a hospital room with someone, never mind someone I know whose condition is this calamitous.”
 
Shifting his own chair up beside his partners Grey gripped his shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze, “It's not easy, even if you barely know the person. I know when my Dad was in he hospital a few years for the heart attack he had, my whole world was crumbling, along with the rest of my families. But, his condition was not as bad as we all believed it was, it had been minor. I've never seen someone alive with this extensive of injuries either Bakura, I've always been praying never to see it. All we can do is hope that he'll pull through, and hope that he didn't see what happened to Garret.”
 
“He's got no one,” Bakura murmured, gently massaging the cold hand between his two warm ones. “Aside from Soren's family, he's got nothing to live for, nothing to go to. Even if he does pull through where will he go, he's got no family and no home, and I can just tell by his personality that he wont want to put any sort of `burden' on Soren's family. What does he honestly have to fight to love for?”
 
Sighing deeply Grey rose to his feet and moved around to the other side of the bed, leaning against the mattress he stared between Yami's ashen face and Bakura's troubled one. “I don't know Kura', I really don't. But that's up to him now, all we can do it wait and hope that he wants to try to come back to us.”
 
“I hate the waiting game,” Bakura grumbled. “Don't have the patience for it, but it doesn't look like I have much of a choice this time.”
 
Sadly shaking his head Grey grabbed Soren's chair and pulled it up so he could sink into it, “We all do.”
 
The sharp ringing of a cell phone made the heart rate of all three men sky rocket. Scrambling for his phone Grey narrowed his eyes at the number, it was the officer that he had left to watch over Yami;s home while the forensic team went through it with the fire department, “Hello.”
 
Detective Briggs…I have some news…. and you're probably not going to like it,” The officer said.
 
“Spit it out.”
 
We found a body in the basement, its being sent off to the ME's office now.”
 
Stunned Grey stared at Soren -whom was re-entering the room- and Bakura in shock, questioning harshly as he hung up the phone, “Was anyone else supposed to be in that house?”
 
Bewildered Soren shook his head, “No, we were all gone bout forty minutes before the house was set on fire. Why?”
 
“They found a body in the basement,” Grey expounded.
 
“It must be one of the attackers then,” Bakura murmured. “Well, we hope at least.”
 
“Let's hope then,” Grey said, shaking his head.
 
Within an hour the room had filled with five other people, along with a large multitude of flowers. Abby, Soren's fiancé was quietly sitting in a corner, seemingly un-phased by the sight of her future husbands critically injured best friend. Elenor and Jack, Soren's parents, had spent hours desperately trying to get through to Yami's grandfather between calling friends to give the melancholy news before the media blew it out of proportion, along with half-heartedly beginning to make funeral arrangements. Kieran and Crissy, Soren's younger brother and older sister, were sitting with their brother on one side of Yami's bed. Grey and Bakura had kept to the other side of the bed, trying to exchange in a pleasant conversation with Soren and his siblings for most of the day.
 
Even through the newly developed minimal noise in the room, Yami had yet to stir. His condition had not changed from how it was after he was taken out of the recovery room; his breathing was still slow and artificial, his heart beat steady, and his body in the exact same position. No colour had returned to his skin yet, aside from the bruises seeming to continually darken. There was only one small change that during the last hour or so of visiting time that was noticeable. Yami's eyes were clearly moving within his sockets, his eyelids shudder with the movements, but never open. The nurses assured the group that it was a good sign, showing that his mind was slowly waking up from the comatose state his injuries had put him in.
 
Grey, Soren and Bakura were rapidly crashing, their energy levels quickly declining as the caffeine they had inhaled hours ago was seeping through them at a rate they wished it wasn't. All three were yawning constantly; their eyes barely able to stay open even in their current situation. They were all desperately wanting a nap, but forcefully keeping that urge at bay, not wanting to miss the moment that Yami awoke.
 
Intermitted throughout the day people from the Police and EMS came by to drop by flowers and give their condolences to Soren's family, along with briefly say something to Yami's unconscious form. Some prayed, some begged him to pull through, some gave words of confidence that he would be bouncing back in no time, and the odd few silently cried before leaving.
 
Soren's family was not allowed to stay much past eight. With the firm promise of coming first thing they could they gave all three gentle hugs before reluctantly leaving Yami in the three men's and the hospitals care. The nurses, being as sweet as they were, brought in blankets for the three so that they could sleep during the night. Only because of their badges and Soren's status as an EMT were they allowed to stay, along with the fact that Yami was still labelled in critical but stable condition.
 
With blankets in hand and the lights in the room dimmed down to a minimal, all three reluctantly surrendered to sleep, certain that they all would scramble into alertness at any sound Yami made.
 
123123123123123123123123123123123123123123123123123123
 
A subtle noise in the room jolted Bakura into alertness. Groggily he stirred in the chair he had fallen asleep in, opening his eyes he glared at the soft light filtering in from the partially open hospital room door. Sitting up from where his head was resting on the mattress of Yami's bed he stared across at the young nurse that was checking the machines on the other side of the bed. She glanced at him, having heard him sit up, and smiled, “Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you.”
 
Scrubbing his hand through his hair he sent her a half smile, “It's alright, I'm a light sleeper. How's he doing?”
 
Shuffling behind Soren's chair she walked over and stood by him so she could whisper, “Sounds like he's trying to breathe on his own, I'm going to go find a doctor to check and confirm it. All of his vitals have remained the same.”
 
Scowling Bakura turned his gaze back to Yami's unconscious form, taking one of the young mans hands again, “What time is it?”
 
Glancing up at the clock she answered, “It's almost noon. I wanted to let you three sleep, you looked exhausted, I have the family that was here yesterday still waiting outside.”
 
Stretching stiffly Bakura reached over and shook Grey's arm, “Hey, wake up.”
 
Startled into alertness Grey yawned vociferously and glared at his partner before noticing the nurse, “Something wrong?” he questioned.
 
She shook her head, “No, his condition is still mostly unchanged, no need to worry. Would you like me to let the family in out there, they've been here for the past three hours.”
 
“Please,” Bakura yawned, standing up and walking over to gently shake Soren awake. Avoiding Soren's flailing limbs with a bewildered scowl he absently watched the nurse leave the room and Grey turn the light on. “Wake up sleepy head.”
 
Soren glared up at him in disapproval, unwilling to be awoke from his very peaceful slumber. Stretching and yawning much like Grey and Bakura had done he sat up and let his mind settle back into the situation. Rubbing his neck he leaned his elbows against the mattress and stared at Yami's face, shaking his head at the clear darkening of the bruises since he had last looked at him last night before falling asleep, “Is there any change?”
 
“The nurse thinks he's trying to breathe on his own, she's going to get a doctor to come in and confirm that,” expounded Bakura, going back to sit in his chair so it was stolen when Soren's family came in.
 
Soren's face seemed to brighten from the news; “I sure hope so, if he starts breathing on his own then they can take this accursed tube out, hate seeing it there.”
 
“Don't blame you,” Grey said softly, leaning against the end of the bed.
 
All three looked up to see Crissy and Kieran enter the room, the two giving them soft smiles and closed the door quietly behind them. Crissy went and instantly gave Soren a tight embrace before leaning over and quietly whispering something to Yami and pressing a sisterly kiss to his brow. Straightening she ran her fingers through his hair and glanced down at Soren, “Mom and Dad should be back in a couple of hours, they were called to the funeral home to make some of the arrangements.”
 
“What about Abby, why isn't she here,” Soren demanded, seemingly hurt by the lack of her presence.
 
Kieran shrugged, clearly miffed at the young woman, “She didn't want to come, said she wasn't feeling well enough to be here.”
 
“Some excuse,” Bakura grunted, crossing his arms and frowning deeply.
 
Shaking his head Soren squeezed Yami's hand tightly, “I don't get her latterly.”
 
Patting his brother's shoulder Kieran sat down on the edge of the bed, “Don't try, she probably going through PMS or a sudden phase.”
 
Holding back laughter Grey shook his head, unable to hold back the comment he had been waiting to make since hearing about how moody Abby was, “Or, she's pregnant.”
 
Kieran and Soren's eyes shot open in fear while every one else burst out laughing. Grabbing one of the stick decorations in one of the bouquets of flowers Soren violently chucked it at Grey, “If she is, its her own damn fault for missing a pill and not telling me!”
 
Smacking him upside the head Crissy glared down at Soren, “I do no want to be an aunt yet, especially to little clones of you, one of you is enough to handle.”
 
Rubbing his head dramatically Soren scowled at her, “I don't want any kids yet either, or nieces and nephews.”
 
A soft knock and the door to the room opening stopped the group in their laughter, surprised to see a different doctor than the one they had been dealing with enter the room. The young male doctor peered at all of them and smiled warmly, “Good to hear such a sound,” he said pleasantly. “Don't expect to hear the odd cheerful moment with situations like this. It's a comfort. I'm Dr. Ryant, I'll be replacing Dr. Broderick, he left for a two week vacation last night after doing the last check up.”
 
Standing up Soren shook the man's hand and smiled as best he could, “Good to know, hopefully you're less dismal than he was, if so, we will get along just fine.”
 
“I am assuming you are all family?” Dr. Ryant asked, finishing shaking every ones hands before checking all the machinery.
 
Crissy sighed, “The closet thing to family he has left. His Dad was all he really had, the family that he does have left lives in Ireland and could care less.”
 
Clearly stunned Dr. Ryant took out a stethoscope and began to listen to Yami's chest, noting the voluntary lung expansion without the force of the oxygen machine. Pleased he took out the pen light from his pocket and moved to open one of Yami's eyes, “Well, he's lucky to have all of you then,” he murmured, flicking on the penlight and focusing it on the rolled pupil. Sharply the eye focused, snapping out of its state and locking on his face, stunned he moved to stumble back when he noticed that the other eye was open. Hazy crimson orbs stared at him, uncertainty and clear fear residing in them. Gasping at the suddenness of the young mans alertness he went to step away only for a weak but persistent hand to grab the wrist holding the penlight, pulling the light away so it was no longer shining directly into the patients eye.
 
All those in the room instantly gathered around the bed at the distressed gasp from the doctor. Seeing that Yami was clearly alert and in a very obvious state of disgruntlement and fear Soren reacted, swiftly taking Yami's other hand he squeezed it tightly and leaned over him, his heart pounding in his chest as those garnet orbs hazily locked on him, “It's alright Yami, you're in the hospital, the doctor's just checking to see if your OK. He wont hurt you, not with us here, let him go bud.”
 
Dr. Ryant sighed with relief when Yami's hand relinquished the crushing hold on his wrist, instinctively rubbing the sore limb he stared down at the young man that was handed into his care. He had only heard about the attack on the news and had no idea the extent of what happened, nor what actually transpired. Never before had he seen a patient wake up so violently, obviously this young man had been traumatized and probably believed that those that harmed him were still tormenting him when he woke. Tentatively he reached out and placed his hand on Yami's arm, glad when this time the look in those crimson eyes was no longer fearful, “I'm going to take that breathing tube out, if you want. Blink if you are alright with that.” Seeing the asked for signal he waved his hand for Bakura and Grey to come to his assistance. “We need to sit him up, he won't be able to do it on his own and it will no doubt cause a lot of pain, I'm going to need your help.”
 
“Where do you want us,” Bakura questioned.
 
“One on either side, you will need to support his back and head and give him something to squeeze,” Dr. Ryant instructed before glancing down at Yami again. “Blink when you are ready Mr. Horakhty.”
 
Getting into position the group waited for the slow but obvious blink that Yami gave, signalling that he was ready. All four supported him and agonizingly slowly pulled him into a sitting position, Kieran and Crissy standing back and cringing at the muffled sounds of anguish Yami let out. Bakura and Soren were both biting their lips against the intensity that Yami was squeezing their hands with, both knowing that it was him fighting against the overwhelming pain he was probably in. Dr. Ryant noticed this as well and moved rapidly to remove the tube, instructing Yami to exhale slowly before pulling the tube out, every one wincing at the quiet but violent coughing fit it caused in Yami's weak frame. As gently as possible they laid Yami back down, relieved when the position clearly reduced the young man's agony.
 
Trembling against the severe waves of pain that surged through his body Yami clenched his jaw tightly and refused to left go of Bakura and Soren's hands, albeit reducing the intensity of his grip. Keeping his breathing slow he waited until his body relaxed before taking in his surroundings, seeing all the flowers and everyone in the room he rasped out, “How long have I been in here? How…I…how did I survive that...?”
 
“Bakura, Grey and I got you out of the house,” Soren expounded, his voice cracking when he was unable to hold back the tears of relief that were now flowing from his eyes. “You've been unconscious for almost two days, they didn't think you were going to make it.”
 
His mind was reeling from shock. The last thing he remembered was the flames and intense inferno that surrounded him the instant they lit the match and it connected with the kerosene. How had he survived the fire, never mind the gunshot? Had it all just been a terrible nightmare that he had while unconscious from something else? Timidly he ran his un-bandaged hand down his torso, the returning pain from the action along with the bandages and the exact place of the gunshot wound reaffirmed that it had not been a dream. His one fist clenched harshly as the memories swamped him, forcing his dry vocal cords to work he rasped out, “Dad…Reno…did you get them out?”
 
“Yeah, we did,” Soren assured quietly, his free hand wiping the tears from his cheeks. “Yami….your Dad…”
 
“I know,” Yami interjected disconsolately, eyes glazing over in grief as the memory relentlessly replayed in his mind, tears beginning to seep from him.
 
Seeing Crissy and Kieran choke back sobs Grey gently encouraged them out of the room, quietly murmuring to Bakura that he was going to take them outside. Giving a nod Bakura stared down at Yami, shaking his head in bewilderment at how fast the mood had went from jubilant to melancholy. Glancing up at the doctor he questioned, “How long do you think we will have to keep him cooped up in here?”
 
Dr. Ryant pondered for a moment, “Probably four days, maybe more, maybe less. It'll all depend on how well he does. Though, when released, he is never to be left alone and will be on strict bed rest. I am going to go up his morphine levels though. Now that I am in charge of him and he's awake, I won't use Dr. Broderick's unconventional method of reduced painkillers to encourage an unconscious patient into alertness. I'll be back in a little while to check on him,” he expounded, punching a few buttons on one of the machines before leaving.
 
For a moment he watched the doctor leave till he averted back to Yami and Soren. He could feel Yami quaking violently from trying to suppress the emotions clearly welling within him, while Soren was failing at keeping his own in check and encouraging his friend to let it out. Taking a relaxing breath he leaned over Yami much like Soren was, his other arm still hooked behind the young man's neck. Crimson eyes snapped and stared up at him, unable to hold back the emotional and physical pain he was obviously enduring. Holding Yami's bandaged hand to his torso he murmured out in agreement with Soren, “Just let it out Yami, bottling things up won't help you.”
 
Hearing the mirrored words of one of the last conversations he had with his father Yami curled up on his right side, relinquishing the barrier he was trying to create and allowed his tears to fall, quietly sobbing out the heavy grief weighing on his heart. The small comfort of Bakura and Soren surrounding him and holding him as tightly as they could gave him the protection and support he needed. Their arms holding him and their bodies pressing against him reminded him that he was not alone, even though all that was running through his mind was that very thought. He was all that was left of his family, his parents were gone and his home was in ashes. He could feel his world crumbling in that moment, and he let it, almost soundlessly crying as the bricks disintegrated and crashed around him. Allowing himself to feel this for a single moment, knowing in the back of his mind that there was still a few people left in this world to live for, to love and that loved him back.
 
He could hear the two friends sobbing, it was a faint sound in his ears compared to the intense pounding of Yami's heart as his head rested against the young EMT's shoulder. He would never vocally admit it, but he could feel his own cold tears cascading down his cheeks, letting go for a moment to grieve for one of the best men he had ever known, knowing that he wasn't doing it alone gave him the comfort to do it. His heart was throbbing, chest tight from the grief and being surrounded by such raw emotions. Giving what little comfort he could he held Yami as tightly as he could without damaging him, rubbing the heaving side and protecting him as much as he could.
 
Bakura did not know how long they remained like that, but it seemed to relieve some of the tension within the room. Breathing far easier and listening to Yami's heartbeat slow he stiffly straightened up, Soren doing the same on the other side of the bed. All three lazily wiped the tears from their cheeks and blearily stared at each other, all silent in understanding.
 
“Thank you,” Yami rasped out, voice barely audible from the strain, absently burying himself into the pillow and pulling the sheets tightly around him.
 
“Anytime Yami,” Soren murmured, rubbing Yami's shoulder and smiling comfortingly down at him. “Seriously, don't you dare hold anything in this time, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.”
 
He tried to smile, but the movement was stopped from another harsh coughing fit, the strain from sobbing racking his chest. Tensing against the pain he breathed roughly through the onslaught of pain, grateful from the two sets of hands rubbing and soothing his chest and back. Glancing between the two he murmured out, “What the hell am I going to do… everything's gone…”
 
“Dad went by the house earlier,” Soren stated. “He said that we got there early enough that some of it is salvageable, but not much. As soon as you are out of the hospital we will start trying to get what is saveable. But, I don't know Yami, you could probably stay with my parents, or with Abby and me, or Crissy and Russell.”
 
Sadly Yami shook his head, “I can't burden all of you, like the doctor said I cant be left alone for long periods of time after I am released, all of you live hectic lives, I don't want you to drop everything for me.”
 
“Yami, you are practically family,” Soren reminded, gripping Yami's hands fervently. “We will do anything for you, none of it will be a burden either, we all care about you way too much.”
 
With a split second decision, and not a regret voicing it, Bakura burst out, “He can stay with me, Grey and I could easily work the case from home and be constantly there for him. It's just my uncle and I there, and he's going to be up at the Rigs till December. It's a big house, it does get kind of lonesome there sometimes on my own, I wouldn't mind the company.”
 
Both stared up at him in shock, Soren's eyes wide as saucers and mouth agape, “Are you sure?”
 
Giving a nod Bakura smiled nervously at them, “That way, he won't be feeling like he is burdening you, but you and your family can constantly check up on him. And, like I said, Grey and I can work the case from home, that way he'll never be left alone. It's a four-bedroom house, and aside from when my Uncle is home from the Rigs, I'm in it alone. The company would be good, and at the same time it's a large enough home that we could still have our own space. I don't mind the idea of taking care of Mr.Gibbled, cant be that hard to laugh at someone that's bedridden.”
 
Soren couldn't resist a small giggle at the harsh glare Yami gave Bakura, stifling a vociferous laugh he gave Bakura an appreciative nod, “Sounds good, so long as you are certain you will be able to handle him, his temper is frightening.”
 
“I don't seem to be getting much of a say in this,” Yami grumbled, glancing between the two.
 
“Nope,” came the unanimous response.
 
“Do I have to ask for permission to sleep,” murmured Yami teasingly after yawning. He could feel exhaustion rapidly sweeping over him. It was his body's natural reaction to the emotional and physical trauma, along with the extensive blood loss he had endured.
 
“After a few questions,” Bakura said, arms crossing over his torso. “I know you may not remember everything, or may not want to talk about it yet, but I am required to ask, you know that. One, what happened? Two, who do you think the body may be that was found in your basement. Three, could you identify your attackers in a photo line up.”
 
Soren narrowed his eyes, protectiveness surging through him, “Is that honestly necessary?”
 
“It is,” Yami said quietly, giving Soren's hand a reassuring squeeze, though reluctance was clearly radiating from him. “Five men broke into the house through the basement, they were looking for Dad…and obviously knew I was going to be there. I…I think they were hoping that I was going to be their ticket to him…and obviously I was…even though I refused to say anything…he came home alone anyway…”
 
Seeing the young EMT's chest begin to heave Bakura gripped his hand, “Take it slow… remember, your are not to blame for this, there was nothing you could have done.”
 
Giving a slow nod Yami continued, voice strained in an attempt to hold back the fresh emotions welling within him, “The person in the basement was one of the men that broke in. Reno knocked him down the stairs, I think I heard his neck break, or at least his head hitting the bottom. They believed him to be dead, so they left him down there I guess. And yes, I could identify them, they did not try to cover their faces, and a few of them had very idiosyncratic scars, tattoos or features. Besides, I did fight back, they will have some distinctive injuries.”
 
“That's all I want you to say for now,” murmured Bakura, smiling kindly, watching Yami's eyes slowly drifting shut as he was rapidly failing the battle to stay awake. “Get some rest.”
 
“Kay,” Yami said somnolently, dropping rather suddenly back into a deep slumber, breathing evening out and eyes closing almost the instant the word passed his lips.
 
Scowling Bakura quirked a brow at Soren inquisitively, “Is that normal…he doesn't exactly pass me as the type that sleeps easily.”
 
Sighing Soren nodded, “Its normal considering the trauma he's been through, and the amount of blood he lost. It's the body's natural reaction to it, and it enables it to heal more efficiently. He's going to be exhausted for a while, all he probably going to do for the next two or three months is sleep, eat, and lounge around, along with some physiotherapy. Unless he heals really fast, he's not going to be allowed back to work till New Years.”
 
“Understandable.”
 
“The other's should be back soon, hopefully they got food or you and I will have to go get some.”
 
“Hungry I take it,” Bakura laughed.
 
Soren grinned wickedly, “You will learn fast that I eat constantly, and have been labelled a caffeine addict.”
 
Laughing Bakura sat back down in his chair, shaking his head at the young man, “Don't worry, Grey and I aren't much different.”
 
A/N: Sorry again for the slow update…hopefully the next chappie wont take as long….