Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Summer Heat ❯ Chilly ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was cold. Very cold. Outside it was 60 degrees, but inside it was remarkably, unseasonably, cold. After half an hour of sitting at his desk, Ryou slammed his pencil down on the desk with more force than needed.
“What is that tomb robber up to now?” he wondered aloud, getting up from his chair. As he walked through the house, he discovered that it wasn't just his room that was cold. The whole house felt like a large freezer.
As he got closer to the kitchen, it occurred to him, how unnaturally quiet the house was. Puzzling about it, he stepped through the living room doorway. “Ahh!” he screamed as he slipped on the frozen floor. He would have fallen if he had not caught himself on the counter.
Straightening himself out, he heard laughter from the direction of the kitchen table. Ryou glanced up, seeing Bakura sitting on the round table, laughing at him. “What are you doing up there?” Ryou asked.
“Not that it's any of your business, but I wanted to see if the water would freeze,” the white haired spirit stated.
Ryou looked at him strangely, before he began laughing. He, unconsciously, removed his hands from their death grip on the counter, and fell to the ground. “What is so funny!” Bakura demanded.
“You got stuck on the table didn't you?” Ryou asked him, between bursts of laughter.
“Of course not! Do you think I, the almighty Bakura, would get trapped by simple frozen water?” Ryou looked at him, pulling himself to his feet again.
“Of course not,” he stated, carefully walking out of the room.
“Wait, Ryou! Where are you going! Get back here now!” the tomb raider screamed.
“I think I'll just turn the heat down, you can wait for the water to melt,” he called back, heading upstairs, instead of towards the heater control. Before he made it up the stairs, the phone rang.
Ryou picked up the handle, “Hello?”
“Hey, Ryou, it's Yugi,” the smaller boy said.
“Oh, hello Yugi,” Ryou replied. “Can I help you with something?”
“Ah, well I was just wondering if you would like to come to the movies with us, seeing as it's summer break. If you don't have anything to do that is…you can bring Bakura too if you want,” he added, sounding reluctant.
“No, he's having a nice time sitting on the kitchen table,” Ryou stated.
“The…kitchen table…?” Yugi asked, confusion evident in his voice. By the time Ryou had explained it to him, they were both laughing about it.
“Ryou! I don't find this the least bit funny. You come back here now!” Bakura screamed again.
“So, the movies you were saying? I'll meet you there right away.”
“Great, but are you sure it's wise to leave him there? He'll doubtlessly be mad later,” Yugi said, concerned.
“Yes, well it's too late for that now,” Ryou said confidently, even though he feared his Yami once he got off that table. “See you soon, Yugi,” he said before the boy could protest anymore. “Bakura, I'm going to the movies, I'll be back later,” he shouted in the general direction of the kitchen, before dashing out of the house. He could have sworn he heard Bakura's shouts, even after he was a block away.