Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Arrangement ❯ Chapter Twelve ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Arrangement

Chapter Twelve

"You're not at work," Selina stated, somewhat startled, when she walked into the kitchen and noticed her husband standing at the refrigerator.

Kaiba shrugged nonchalantly and continued to browse for food.

"What are you doing?" Selina giggled, watching him pull out various food items only to place them back in the 'fridge.

"Well, I was wondering where the cook went because I have no earthly idea how to cook, but because I couldn't find her, I decided to try to make my own food. But, like I said, I don't know how to cook," Kaiba replied, shrugging once more.

"I gave her the day off. I didn't expect you to be here and Mokuba and I were going to go out to look for a nice tree. Why aren't you at work?" Selina asked curiously, going up to the 'fridge and grabbing some food from it before closing the door, giving Kaiba a Try to cook and you'll burn the house look.

"Mokuba asked me to go with you," he replied, watching her get to work on breakfast.

"Oh." Placing all her concentration into her job, she tried her best to ignore her husband, but it wasn't working. Every so often, her eyes would glance up at his which were intent on watching her. And of course, she took in his attire. She was used to seeing him this way now that she had been continually staying in his room for nearly a month, but it was still taking time to get used to.

"Something smells delicious!" Mokuba chirped happily, lightly strolling into the kitchen a few minutes later. "Seto!" he cried out, joy clearly written upon his young face. "You stayed!"

"Of course," Kaiba stated simply, his mind subconsciously wandering to how the company was doing that day without him. With the majority of the employees taking vacation in but six days, things were more hectic than usual as the workers tried to finish things up for the year. This was the time the company needed him most, and yet, here he was, standing in his kitchen in boxers and an untied robe, watching his wife cooking breakfast. For the first time in his young life, he felt like a normal human who could spend their time leisurely, but of course, it was not so. He had his company to run, and that thought would continue to plague him until the next morning when he would see for himself how it had fared for the day he was gone.

For a moment, his eyes traveled to his younger brother. So carefree was his young life that at times, Kaiba would envy him, wishing almost that his life was as simple. Yet, as quickly as those thoughts would come, they would dissipate. He enjoyed his business; designing new video games and virtual worlds and things of the sort. Yet, deep down inside, he knew he wanted a tad bit more freedom. But what he had only just begun to realize was that freedom had come to him in the form of a young woman who was once known as Selina Mazika.

~*~*~*~

"Oh, this one is so tall! And this one…it's so beautiful! Why, I've never seen such beautiful pines before!" Selina exclaimed joyfully, spinning around on the light snow, her eyes glancing at all the different trees around them.

Forty minutes outside Domino was the medium sized tree farm they had traveled to. There were trees of all sorts there, just waiting to be sawed down and adorned with beautiful garland and ornaments. A light snow had fallen the evening before, adding an extra aura of beauty to the awaiting trees.

Kaiba stood by in silence, watching his wife's face and her childlike expressions. At that very moment, she was reminding him of Mokuba as the two were acting in very similar manners.

"Did you have trees at Christmastime?" Mokuba asked, clutching Selina's hand and walking further into the lines of trees, Kaiba following slowly behind.

"Not every year. Most the time, I would just decorate the small plastic palm Father had brought home one night when I was younger. We didn't have many decorations, but I would always make my own," Selina recounted, a soft smile upon her face.

"We've never gotten our own tree before. Usually, Ichigo would find a decent one and have it decorated nice and placed in the lounge at home. That way, if any business was held at home, at least there would be some sort of Christmas spirit," Mokuba commented. "Why would you have a palm tree?"

Selina giggled at his facial expression of confusion as he recalled what she had said. "We didn't have the extra money to spare on things that we didn't need," she answered, pushing back the memories of the money problems she once dealt with. With the job her father had had at one time, they would have had no problem buying a tree…but when he became a drunk, and was fired, money was hard to come by. But that's all over now. It's in the past.

"Why are you two just standing there, did you find one you liked?" Kaiba asked, his voice clearly showing he was not enjoying himself.

Selina glanced at Mokuba before glancing at the tree, her eyes blinking a few times. She hadn't even realized they had stopped until Kaiba had said something. "It's…it's beautiful," she said in awe.

"I like it, let's get it!" Mokuba exclaimed, running off to find someone who could saw the tree for them.

"Would you prefer a different tree?" Selina asked curiously, turning from the beautiful pine of nearly seven feet to glance at her husband.

Kaiba shrugged, answering her coolly. "Whatever you want."

"Okay," she answered, bending down and scooping some of the snow into her small hands.

"What the…" Kaiba trailed off, feeling something cold and wet hit the side of his face. He turned to his wife for answers, a cold glare set upon his face. She smiled at him in innocence, although she was far from it. "What was that for?" he asked in annoyance, shaking the snow from his chestnut hair.

"Lighten up," she answered, throwing another snowball at him, hitting his shoulder.

Kaiba only glared in response before quickly tackling his wife, causing both of them to land in the snow. "And if I don't?" he asked, his warm breath landing upon her red nose.

"Then I'll-"

Kaiba's lips quickly cut her voice off as he pressed them against hers in a warm kiss. "That's what I thought," he whispered, capturing her lips once more before releasing her and rising from the snow; both of them dusting it off. He grinned slyly at his wife whose cheeks were rosy not only from cold before scooping the snow into his hands and throwing it at her, hitting her arm.

When she turned to him, her brow raised in skepticism, she caught his smirk before he began to whistle, his hands innocently behind his back. Laughing lightly, she shook her head and proceeded to scoop some snow, only to be stopped by a strong arm.

"I advise you not to do that," Kaiba stated, pulling her closer to him. "You're already cold, you don't need to be drenched," he warned, leaning closer to her ear. "No one has ever challenged me to a snowball fight and come out dry," he whispered, releasing her when he noticed Mokuba walking their way with a couple men, one holding a saw.

Selina cast a questioning glance towards her husband before instructing the men which tree they desired. As they left the tree farm, the tree securely fastened to the top of the vehicle, Selina couldn't help but wonder what Kaiba had meant. So Seto Kaiba isn't too sophisticated for a good, old fashioned game of snowball fighting? Next time, he won't get off so easy, she thought, a light smile upon her face as she recalled his kiss. No, next time, he's going to have to earn his way out.

~*~*~*~

"Are you sure we're talking about the same Seto Kaiba?" Tea asked in disbelief as she and Selina headed into the mall to do some shopping.

"I'm serious," Selina smiled, giggling at the memory of Seto Kaiba's hair covered in snow two days earlier. "He's not who everyone thinks he is. Then again, sometimes I'm proven wrong. So is it just you and me today?"

Tea nodded in the affirmative, accepting the change in conversation. "Well," she paused, "no, actually, Serenity will be joining us…in about an hour. Apparently, Joey and Mai went to France for the holidays."

"Joey Wheeler? Why?" Selina laughed.

"Mai talked him into it. Something about France being the fashion headquarters of the world. I'm surprised he agreed to go. Then again…"

Selina laughed softly as the two entered one of the department stores. "I know what you mean."

"So what do you get a guy that has everything money can buy?" Tea asked curiously at they browsed through the store a few minutes later, nothing of interest catching their eyes.

"I have no idea. I guess I'll know what to get him once I see it," Selina shrugged, quickly heading for the exit to the store.

"Well, there's this book I want to get Yugi. I'm almost certain they have it at the bookstore here. And there's a few other things I'd like to get him. I'm sure he's one hundred times easier to shop for than Seto Kaiba."

"I'll agree with you on that one," Selina smiled, following Tea into the store.

~*~*~*~

"And that concludes this meeting. Dismissed," Kaiba sighed, resting his chin upon his hand in boredom as he listened to Duke announce a happy holiday to the board as they departed the office. "I thought it would never be over," he told him as soon as the office was empty.

"You're telling me. I don't think I've watched a clock that long since math class back in grade school," Duke joked, flopping down into one of the arm chairs. "It's been a terribly long morning."

"I never thought I'd agree with you; but I do," Kaiba sighed, rubbing his temples. "I'm not sure I can stand being here any longer. This holiday rush is beginning to aggravate me. I left the house at three and I've been here since. As it is, I wasn't home until midnight. Mokuba is beginning to get upset."

"He's probably not the only one," Duke pointed out, closing his eyes in a tired fashion. "Why don't we take an early leave today? I have some gifts I need to shop for."

"Devlin-"

"Christmas is in nine days Kaiba. That isn't much time to find something decent for your family now is it? And don't tell me Ichigo is going to handle it. Believe me, Selina will know whether or not you put thought into something. And if you have Ichigo handle it for you, I'm believing she'll be pretty upset with you. Remember, every little thing you do-"

"Can bring us closer or tear us apart. So you've told me many times Devlin. Too many," Kaiba said tiredly.

"So, how about it?"

"Fine," Kaiba replied, rising from his chair. "I'd like to be home early tonight anyways. I promised Mokuba."

"All right then! Let's head to the mall," Duke grinned, heading for the door. Now…what am I getting for Serenity? Selina is a given, but the girl I'm dating…hmm…

~*~*~*~

"Sorry I'm late," Serenity's soft voice apologized as she sat herself down at the table in the mall cafeteria where her friends were waiting.

"It's alright Serenity," Tea answered, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Joey called to tell me he's bringing something back for me…courtesy of Mai. I'm almost afraid of what it will be."

"Well, if Joey is agreeing to bring it back, it must be good, right? That, or Mai pummeled him," Selina said, causing the table to erupt into a fit of giggles.

"Tea, what is this Joey told me about Yugi and you trying to have kids already?" Serenity asked curiously, her brows raised.

"Uh…" Tea said, her face turning a light crimson color. "Yugi and I want kids," she shrugged, averting her eyes from her friends.

"Then you shouldn't be drinking coffee," Serenity responded, taking Tea's coffee from her, only to drink it herself. "No wonder you're drinking this. I've never tasted coffee so delicious before!"

"What I want to know is when Selina and-"

"Don't even go there," Selina sighed, putting her hand up to stop the question from leaving Tea's mouth. "We have a completely different relationship. Now, I need to get my man something. So, enough chit chat, let's go. I think I know just the thing and I don't want to forget."

The three girls rose from the table, grabbing their things and heading off into the mall once more. Smiles lined all of their faces, yet had one looked close enough, they would have noticed the strained smile upon one of the young faces.

~*~*~*~

"This is insane," Kaiba growled, strolling through the largest department store at the mall, Duke grinning like a child as he led the way. The last thing Kaiba wanted was for someone to see him shopping…in the perfume department.

"Serenity mentioned coming here once and finding this particular perfume with a beautiful aroma. So, now I have to find the one she was talking about," Duke had said, giving his reason for being in that particular department.

Kaiba growled again as Duke stopped, finally finding what he was looking for. He rubbed his temples in an aggravated fashion, trying to ease the tension that was building. The smells are going to my head! And women call this fun…

"Any idea what you're getting my cousin," Duke questioned as the two men left the store in good spirits…well, one of them anyways. The other one had a scowl on his face.

"No," Kaiba mumbled, breathing in deeply when they exited the store. Fresher air!

"I suppose I'll help you. Considering I've known her my entire life, this should be pretty simple. And so you know Kaiba, you could buy her the most expensive thing you see, but that doesn't mean it'll make her happy. You can't buy her respect or love," Duke commented, leading a quiet, yet frowning, Seto Kaiba further into the mall.

~*~*~*~

Serenity's eyes widened as she recognized two figures heading their way. "Tea, quick! Take our bags!" she yelled, throwing her bags into Tea's arms and doing the same with Selina's.

"What is going-"

"Hello ladies," a familiar voice greeted; a grunt was heard after.

"Oh, hey Duke," Tea's voice was muffled as the bags were covering her face.

Selina giggled, calling Roland over to them and handing him her and Serenity's bags. She gave Kaiba a quizzical glance before briefly turning to her cousin and smiling. "I thought you had a meeting with the board today?" she asked, turning her attention back to her husband.

"Dismissed early," he replied coolly, willing himself not to yawn. It had been almost a year since he had gotten less than four hours sleep and now his late nights and early mornings were beginning to show.

"Well ladies, how about we go out somewhere for lunch. Kaiba and I are done with our business here, and from all the bags in Roland's arms, I'd say you are done as well," Duke joked, linking arms with Serenity and Tea. "Shall we?"

"Sounds good," Serenity agreed, smiling up at Duke.

"I'll go with Tea and Serenity. Let's meet at Marshons'," he called over his shoulder, leading the two girls away and leaving Kaiba and Selina to themselves.

Growling in frustration at the situation he was in, Kaiba turned and headed for the entrance he had used but an hour or so earlier, figuring his wife would follow. He was surprised when he felt a gentle hand take hold of his.

"You look tired," Selina's gentle voice whispered as she slipped her arm around his with no resistance. "Maybe you should go home and rest."

"I'm fine Selina," Kaiba sighed, thankful for the support of his wife, no matter how small her frame. "I'll head home after we eat."

"Good," Selina smiled, leaning her head against his shoulder the moment the two of them were seated within their vehicle. "I'll be home later; I'm going to Yugi's game shop to wrap the gifts I bought."

"And that would be?" Kaiba asked, resting his eyes against the early afternoon light shining through the tinted windows of the limo.

"Now, that I can't tell you. Christmas gifts are a surprise," Selina smiled, lightly kissing her husband's cheek.

~*~*~*~

"You go straight to sleep, you hear me?" Selina commanded Kaiba, preparing to close the door to the limo. Upon the nodding of his head, she continued. "I should be home in a couple of hours. I honestly didn't expect you back until late so I gave Maria the night off. Don't worry, I'll be back in time to cook something. Sleep."

Kaiba merely nodded once more, a slight smirk upon his face. For now, he could live with the commands of his wife. He knew the next four days would be hectic as the Christmas holiday would take nearly all his workers to vacation. And for once, he himself would be included in almost all of that break. It would be a vacation well deserved. As for now, he would rest his eyes until he arrived home where he would sleep while Ichigo wrapped the things he had bought that afternoon.

Selina smiled softly as she watched the limo disappear around a corner before turning to enter the game shop. "Is Yugi around?" she called, closing the door behind her.

"He's doing inventory right now," Tea called from a room beyond the counter. "I told him to stay there unless we call for him."

Selina laughed softly, finding herself sitting at a coffee table in the Motou's living room with scissors, tape, Christmas paper, and her gifts while Serenity and Tea were busy wrapping theirs. "I guess I should get started on this," she mumbled to herself, pulling various items out and wrapping them. I've got to be the worst at this! And to think…they're going to sit under the tree…where everyone can see them. Maybe I won't put them out until later…

"Girls, are you done yet?" Yugi called through the door an hour later. Receiving three similar answers, he entered the room, his eyes glancing down at the tree in the corner, near the fireplace. As of now, presents were resting peacefully beneath the gentle branches.

Quickly, he walked over to Tea and planted a gentle kiss upon her lips before turning to greet Selina and Serenity. After doing so, he sat beside his wife upon the couch.

"How's your grandpa Yugi?" Selina asked, grabbing scraps of paper and placing them within a trash bag.

"He's going great! Mr. Hawkins and Grandpa seem to never age. I still can't believe they went the Egypt last month," Yugi said, shaking his head.

"I hope you guys don't mind me leaving, but I have a date with Duke tonight," Serenity spoke up after a few moments of silence. Grabbing her things, she said a quick goodbye and rushed out the door and to the nearest bus stop.

"Does Kaiba still collect Duel Monsters Cards? I know they're still popular and people are dueling everywhere, but they're all a few years younger than us."

Selina looked up at Yugi, nodding her head. "He still collects them; has the same deck as always. I'm almost certain I've heard him playing the computer. I think he's developed some program…or he's working on it. I don't know. Mokuba is really into them right now. Why?"

"I got this new card in yesterday that I think he may be interested in," Yugi stated, disappearing from the room and returning with a single card. "Here," he said, placing it in Selina's hand.

"Spirit of the Dragon," she read aloud, looking over the card. "My cards were more like yours than his. Explain it to me."

"Spirit of the Dragon is a magic equip card for a dragon type monster. If you have a monster on the field…say Kaiba's played his Blue Eyes. If he activates this magic card and equips his dragon with it, the dragon will automatically gain 1000 life points as well as be immune to destruction for one turn. If Kaiba were to have no monsters on the field, he could use Spirit of the Dragon to summon any dragon type monster in his graveyard, regardless of level or attack points. I was surprised when it came in with yesterday's shipment. I've never heard of it before."

"How much is it?" Selina asked, genuinely interested.

"For a friend, it's free," Yugi smiled. "I know what you're going to say; but the thing is, I never ordered it. It seemed like it was an extra. I want you to take it Selina. After all, I owe Kaiba. This new product is already in demand and people haven't even tested it out; they've only seen the signs and heard about it. Then again, I owe you too because you created the beta-programs for it."

Selina shook her head, tucking the card safely in an envelope and placing it in the bag with her gifts. "Thanks Yugi. I should be going. I gave Maria the night off and I don't want to imagine what would happen if Seto even attempted to cook something. One word: disaster. You'd think someone who's been a bachelor for so long would know how to cook. But I guess not," she smirked, hugging Tea and Yugi and bidding them farewell.

"Merry Christmas you two!" she called, standing beside the open limo door. "I'll call you in a few days Tea."

"Remember what I told you!" Tea yelled before the door was closed and the limo disappeared in the same direction Kaiba's had an hour and a half earlier.

"And what was that?" Yugi questioned, slipping his arms around his wife's waist.

"Girl talk," Tea replied, leaning into the safety of his arms. "He's different when he's around her you know," she whispered, closing her eyes gently.

"It's because they love each other," Yugi replied factually.

"I don't think-"

"Yes, they just don't know it yet," he cut in, pulling Tea back inside the warmth of the game shop and further in to the living room. "But you know that I love you and that's all that matters right now," he whispered, capturing her lips with his own.

~*~*~*~

The early winter sun shone through the closed curtains as Selina slowly awoke from her slumber. It took her brain a few moments to realize where she was before she stretched. She was surprised to hear the breathing of another body in the room. Slowly, she turned and found Kaiba, still sleeping.

Sighing, she gently shook him, bringing him from his slumber. "I think you overslept," she whispered, watching his eyes slowly open.

He mumbled before closing his eyes and turned his back towards the window.

"Don't you need to go into the office today?" Selina continued, tilting her head as she looked down at her husband.

"No," he yawned, pulling the covers closer around him.

"Oh," she said softly, her face etched in confusion. "But don't you have to work?"

Sighing ruefully, Kaiba opened his eyes fully and looked up at his wife's confused face. "Until the second of January, I'll be working a couple hours; but that will be in my home office. Kaiba Corp. is closed for the holidays…for the most part. And from the looks of it, I don't think you're going to let me sleep anymore," he explained, mumbling the last sentence.

"Sorry," she whispered, slowly rising from the bed.

"And where are you going?"

Well, I-"

"Stay," Kaiba interrupted, pulling her back under the covers and hugging her close. "If you leave, you'll take half the warmth with you and I'll never fall back asleep."

Remaining quiet, Selina lay there in Kaiba's arms, her mind wandering to various subjects, yet all of them had one thing in common: they involved Seto Kaiba.

~*~*~*~

"Merry Christmas…Eve," Selina smiled, placing a steaming plate upon the kitchen table. "It's much warmer in here, so I hope you don't mind if we breakfast here instead of the dining room," she explained to Kaiba as he stood in the kitchen door, watching her.

Shrugging, he walked over to the table and sat himself across from Mokuba.

"Are we opening presents tonight Seto?" Mokuba asked excitedly, his eyes aglow with Christmas spirit.

Kaiba shrugged, glancing towards his wife who had just sat down beside him. "Growing up, I would always have to wait until Christmas to open the gifts I received," she commented, reminding herself quietly that she rarely celebrated Christmas in her home once her mother died.

"I think that sounds like a good idea," Kaiba stated, watching Mokuba's face as it fell some. "You can open one tonight, but the rest are for tomorrow morning. And don't even think about waking me at midnight like you did last year," Kaiba warned, his eyes narrowing at the memory.

This statement earned a laugh from the newest member of the Kaiba family as she watched the two siblings exchange glances. "And what happened after you woke up?" she asked her husband, light dancing in her eyes.

"He made me wait until after we had supper. He was really mad," Mokuba answered, smiling innocently at his elder brother. "You should have heard him-"

"I think that's enough Mokuba," Kaiba growled, glaring at his younger brother.

Selina smiled, shaking her head lightly as images of Seto Kaiba growling because his sleep was interrupted filled her mind. I can only imagine how incoherent he must have been.

~*~*~*~

Supper had come and gone and now the household was in a peaceful slumber. All except for Selina who was stealthily walking through the hallway, holding a few items close to her chest. She allowed a sigh of relief to escape her lips as she entered the lounge, thankful she had made it there without being caught.

Quickly, she placed a few items in Mokuba's stocking before taking hold of the last two items she held; both for Kaiba. Gently, she placed an envelope in his stocking before opening a small box and glancing at the gold band that rested within it. After being married for a little over three months, she had finally noticed that her husband wore nothing to show of his commitment; regardless of whether or not the entire world knew of their marriage. Snapping the box shut, she placed it in his stocking before turning around, jumping when she noticed a figure leaning against the wall.

"Playing Saint Nick?" he asked quietly, the moon shining upon his face and showing his trademark smirk.

"I suppose," Selina shrugged, twisting the tie of her robe. "I thought you were sleeping."

"I think I've grown too accustomed to another presence beside me," Kaiba replied, slowly advancing towards his wife. "So will you be coming to bed now?"

Selina smiled softly, her eyes sparkling lightly in the dimness of the moonlight. "I'll be up in a moment," she replied, rising to her tip-toes and kissing Kaiba gently.

Kaiba shrugged nonchalantly and turned, exiting the room and leaving his wife distraught. She knew the time had come.

~*~*~*~

"I've been wondering what was taking you so long," Kaiba said, closing his book and looking up at his wife who was standing in the doorway between their room and her once former room. "Selina?" he asked curiously when she made no effort to move.

"Seto…I, uh…" she stumbled, lightly chewing her lip as she grabbed for the tie of her robe and twisted it around her fingers.

"What is it?" he asked cautiously, her attitude bringing fear slowly into his heart. His deep navy eyes, always unemotional, were watching her with concern.

"I'm scared," she stated simply, dropping her head in embarrassment. It took no more than three seconds for him to rise from the bed and stand before her, his hands gently grasping her shoulders.

His heart, always so hardened and cold, was full of turmoil as he watched a few droplets fall from Selina's lashes. Quickly, he wrapped his arms around her and held her close, savoring the sweet moment deep within his heart. I am too… he thought somewhat solemnly before caressing her chin and planting a gentle kiss upon her lips.

She opened her eyes slowly and glanced into his - captivated the moment their eyes locked. Deep within his navy eyes was compassion and gentleness, something that was rare to find within the eyes of the rich and powerful Seto Kaiba. At that moment, she knew everything would be alright. Somehow, someway, it would be.

Taking a deep breath to calm the pounding of her heart, she wrapped her arms around Kaiba's waist and nestled her head against his chest, listening to the pounding of his own. She smiled softly before he spun her around and lifted her into his arms. Somewhere deep inside, she knew she was falling in love with him. And that made the wonderful pleasure of being with him even more breathtaking.