Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Best That I Could Do ❯ The Best That I Could Do ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Best That I Could Do

He'd never meant for it to happen. He'd never meant to fall in love with the puppy dog. Hell, he'd never meant for a lot of things to happen but they did anyway. Most of all, he never meant to be stuck in a Target Greatland overnight with Jou.

Seto had been working at home when it happened. 'It' was Mokuba. The small boy had wandered in, wrapped up in a blanket, sniffling and looking overall very flushed.

"Big brother." he had whined, "I don't feel so good. Can you go get me some 7UP from Target?" Seto spun around in his office chair and sighed at Mokuba.

"I'm busy, Mokuba. Don't we have Sprite or something else you can drink?" Seto asked. As much as he loved and adored his little brother, he was busy with his newest virtual reality video game and it was hard for him to stop and begin working.

"But, big brother. I always drink 7UP when I'm sick. You never used to mind getting it before." Seto sighed as his brother gave him a look so pitiful, he caved in easily.

"Alright Mokuba, I'll run out and get you some 7UP but make sure you stay in bed while I'm gone and don't touch my game this time." Mokuba smiled at his big brother and ran up to him, hugging his legs.

"Thank you, Seto!" Mokuba cried happily, breaking into a fit of coughs.

"Go lie down Mokuba," Seto demanded and the little boy, scuttled out of Seto's study to run back to his room. Seto stood up and stretched picking his trenchcoat up from the floor where he had carelessly tossed it when he had entered. He strode out of the room and towards the garage, pulling the keys to his jeep from his pocket as he went. Though he was forced to keep up appearances for Kaiba Corp. and take limousines to large social events such as movie premiers, he preferred his own rusty jeep later at night when no one would tell him not to do it.

Starting up his jeep, Seto was almost surprised by how amazingly loud it seemed. It had been quite a while since he had taken the jeep and he wasn't as used to it as he had been a month ago. The gates of the fence outside his mansion opened for him and he drove down the road towards Target Greatland, the nearest place that carried 7UP.

Reaching it, he climbed out of the jeep and locked it securely, not wanting his 'baby' to get hurt or even worse - stolen. Seto hurried across the parking lot, the cold air ripping at his face as he went, making him wish the flu wasn't a winter epidemic. After what seemed to bean eternity of crossing glacial concrete, Seto found himself at the front doors and tugged them open, his gloveless hands feeling raw and burned against the freezing metal. A blast of heated, dust-smelling air hit his face and Seto was glad to see that no one stopped him from rushing inside, a definite sign that the store was still open.

It was quiet inside because it was so late and Seto found himself feeling (as stupid as it sounds) somewhat like a secret agent in the superstore. On his mission for 7UP, he walked to the grocery store part of the place and scanned the drink shelves carefully for 7UP.

"What the hell?" he asked himself in a low voice finding that the 7UP appeared to be gone, when it hit him. Of course, the idiots at Target would put 7UP over in the pharmacy area! How could he have forgotten about that? Skittering across to linoleum floors took longer than he had expected and he was annoyed to find that the 7UP wasn't stocked in the pharmacy either. However, he was even more annoyed when he heard a vaguely familiar voice swearing at the top of their lungs from the front of the store.

Wanting to find out who it was that was making such a racket that it would fill up a store this large, Seto found himself walking to the front of the store once again, even though his pop was not in hand.

"Damnit!" the voice said, disgruntled, "All she wanted was some freaky- deaky Sprite! Why couldn't Shizuka drink the fuckin' 7UP! They're the same thing anyway!" Seto was less than shocked to find that he knew the blonde standing and banging against the front door and he set a cold look into his face as he approached the boy. He was at least a head taller than the blonde, something he would be able to work to his advantage and he was glad to see that the other boy had not yet noticed him. Seto would have the element of surprise on his side also.

"Having fun, puppy?" Seto asked, glaring as Jounouchi turned to face him, that same look set upon his face as it had every other time one of their confrontations took place.

"Kaiba? What're you doin' here?" Jounouchi spat, glaring heatedly at the other boy. It was never a good thing for him when Seto came around, always ending up with him feeling as though he had been an angel who was sitting on Cloud 9, playing his harp without a care in the world, when all of a sudden, his wings were ripped off, sending him plummeting down to hell and the sulfurous abyss of pure misery. And as poetic and un-Jounouchi-like as it sounded it was all true.

"This is a Target Greatland, puppy, not your own personal strip mall," Seto retorted nonchalantly, not swayed a bit by Jounouchi's hate.

"I'm not a fuckin' dog, Kaiba," Jounouchi almost yelled, feeling his wings being ripped off with every word Seto spoke, egging him on to do more. Seto didn't reply but simply pressed against the door, trying to get out when he realized it was stuck. Trying another, he realized it was stuck too and Jounouchi snorted with taunting laughter as he spoke, "They're locked, you stupid bastard. The doors are locked and we can't fuckin' get out." The full severity of the situation hit Jounouchi and his laughter stopped abruptly.

"Locked." Seto said softly, a plan forming in his head. He would NOT under ANY circumstances spend the night here with his sworn enemy. Immediately, Seto rushed over to the nearest door, pushing at it and moving to the next.

"Maybe you didn't hear me Kaiba, they're LOCKED. We can't get out, understand?" Jounouchi told him, confused at what Seto was doing.

"They might have forgotten to lock one of the door, puppy, and if they did we can get out, now go check for back doors or something like a phone." A look of understanding crossed Jounouchi's face as he listened and an idea popped into his head.

"Don't you have a cell phone, Kaiba? We can call Honda and he'll come get us," Jounouchi said, still feeling hostile towards Seto, just not as much. Seto, however, turned to Jounouchi with a look of disgust.

"I don't need help from you and them. What do you think we are friends?" Seto shouted, feeling somewhat under pressure since Jounouchi hadn't done anything but talk about getting out of there. Why wasn't he checking for back doors? Seto sighed as he tried the last of the row of doors and realized they were all locked tight. Seto turned to run to the back of the place and check around there but Jounouchi stopped him.

"There won't be any back doors," Jounouchi told him.

"How would you know?"

"I just do, okay?" Jounouchi had blushed slightly in the process of offering up this information and Seto simply believed him. He didn't care what the fuck Jounouchi was blushing about. The younger boy could have slept with the stockgirl back there but as long as he was right about the doors it didn't matter.

Seto surveyed the boy as he shoved his hands into the pockets of jeans and for a moment he wondered if he should have apologized to the boy but he didn't. It wouldn't have been right. It would have been a sign of friendship.

"We compromise for a truce then?" Jounouchi finally asked, feeling sick of being looked over and judged by Seto. It was hardly a secret that he had been doing it. In fact it was less than a secret. Anyone who didn't see it would have had to have been blind, deaf and mute. And possibly even paralyzed from the neck down.

"Why would we do that?" Seto asked, "We'll sit down and go to sleep. Simple as that. No need for truces, talking or stupid puppies."

"I'm not a dog, Kaiba. Stop calling me that," Jounouchi demanded, beginning to feel the hostility return.

"No," Seto said simply, turning away from Jounouchi and walking towards the food. Jounouchi followed after him, both hands buried in his pockets as he walked, hunched over, glaring at Seto's back with such fire, people might wonder if he was capable of murder. Not that there would be many other suspects with only two of them in the store and one perfectly alive and well.

They reached the food and Jounouchi followed in suit as Seto pulled down a jar of Pringles and a bottle of Cherry Coke from the wall.

"What are we doing?" Jounouchi asked, sitting down on the ground next to Seto and leaning up against the wall of cereal.

"I am having some food. You are annoying me, puppy." Seto smirked a little as he could have swore he heard Jounouchi mutter something about "not" and "puppy" but the rest of the food was eaten in silence with only the occasional overly-loud Pringle.

Seto was just about finished when he distinctly heard Jounouchi say something. Turning to him, Seto blinked and tried to fight off the coming question but curiosity got the best of him and it came out in the form of a question, "What was that?" Jounouchi didn't even look up as he polished off his sixth can of Pringles and his second 2-liter bottle of Pepsi.

"I said, I used to work here. That's how I knew about the backdoors."

"When?" Seto asked, curiosity getting the better of him once again. This time Jounouchi did look up and Seto found himself becoming warmed and somewhat lost in his amber eyes, reflecting all shades of the rainbow and then coming together in the color of beeswax.

"Last year," Jounouchi replied, "Back when I lived with my dad. He had alcohol problems and I had to support the two of us. When the money from Duelist Kingdom came in and my dad found out I had already spent it all on Shizuka's eye surgery, he was mad as a dog. Beat the crap out of me that night and threw me out on the streets on die. Sometimes I think if Honda wasn't there that night to pick me up, I would've died just like my dad intended me to. Just like I thought I was going to when he-" Jounouchi cut himself off and continued along a different path. "One time I wondered if it would've been better it I hadn't given all that money to Mom and Shizu for her surgery. Maybe my dad wouldn't hate me now if I had saved it. Maybe he would've quit drinking and me n' Shizuka n' Mom and my dad could've been a happy family again, even if Shizu couldn't see. I don't think she'd mind as long as my dad and I were back again. I mean, she's happy since I live with her and Mom now and I think she'd be even happier if my dad were around too, ya' know? But then again, maybe if I had saved the money from Duelist Kingdom, my dad might've gone out and spent it all on beer." Jounouchi gave a low whistle. "Three million bucks worth of beer and wine and alcohol. He've died if he didn't kill me first and get a life's sentence in prison." Jounouchi finally quit talking and his breathing came out low and shallow and in with long, deep strokes of air. Seto almost felt sorry for the other boy. His story was like a game of Fill-In-The-Blanks and Seto could do it all.

"He raped you. Didn't he? Your father. On that night when he threw you out. He didn't just beat you up, he raped you too." Jounouchi simply nodded slowly at the accusations. They were true and there was nothing he could do to change them. "Why're you telling me this?" Seto asked, "Why not Honda or Yugi or that girl you hang out with? Why not one of your friends or your sister or your mother? Why did you want to tell me?"

Jounouchi shrugged and the words poured out as if they hadn't even gone through his brain yet, "I guess I was just hoping you'd change your mind about me and Yugi and us. Guess I was wrong though, huh Kaiba?"

"Call me Seto. Not Kaiba." Jounouchi's amber eyes flickered to Seto's faced but the older boy could bear to meet them for fear of breaking.

"Okay then, call me Jou. That's what my friend's call me." Jounouchi's words were more of a question than a statement and Seto answered exactly the way Jounouchi wanted to hear.

"Okay."

"Okay," Jounouchi replied back, leaning more against Seto now than the cereal boxes lined along the walls. They had both forgotten by now that it was probably past midnight and they were stuck in Target Greatland as Seto pulled Jounouchi into his lap and hung onto him protectively as the younger boy's eyelids began to droop besides the help of the large amount of caffeine both boys had taken in.

Seto, however, was going to be having a harder time sleeping.

/You love him./ one voice in his head told him. The boy in his arms was so comfortable to hold onto and generated such a nice warmth that Seto was almost ready to admit it when a second voice broke into his thoughts.

//But he's the puppy! Nothing but a mangy dog living off the scraps of past victories and begging for mercy from real duelists! You'd never love him. You're Seto Kaiba and he's a weakling.//

/No! You do love him! Admit it, Seto, it's true!/

///You can't./// a third voice told him, breaking in just the way the other two voices had, interrupting his quiet happiness with Jou.

/What do you mean?/ Seto heard the first voice ask.

///You can't do that, Seto. You love him and you want him to love you but it isn't fair for you to make him love you. You can't.///

//He's Seto Kaiba!// the second voice said, flaring up in anger. //He can do anything he wants, no matter the consequences!//

///No. Jou's been through too much for you to do something to him too. If you really love him, you won't do that to Jou. You'll let him go in the morning, back to his home with his friends to live out life and marry that Mai girl and he'll be happy and you can be glad you were here for him when he needed you.///

"Jou." Seto whispered. The first two voices melted away into mist and the third one only gave him one more piece of advice before it left too.

///If you really love him, that's what you'll do.///

Now Seto felt alone and in some ways it was good but in other ways, he wished his third voice were still here to keep him from giving into Jou. Hell, even the second voice would've been alright as long as it wasn't that stupid first one.

Brushing one hand across the younger boy's pale, soft skin, Seto felt a small pain in his heart knowing that this was the closest he'd ever get to the one he loved. He'd never be able to look into those beautiful amber eyes and watch rainbows dance. He'd never be able to hold this slender body in his arms and know it was his own to love and care for. He's never be able to love Jou.

But for now, this was the best he could do. And until morning it was good enough for him.

+-+-+-+-+

Momentai.