Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Danger World ❯ Enter the Danger World ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Here's the sequel to The Last Griffin. In this story, the setting is a year after Adella and her colleagues accepted Yami for what he truly is. They get sent to a world that has danger at just about every turn. Read along as they go through the highly dangerous world while facing virtually countless perils. I won't tell how they get there in this summary. You'll just have to read on if you want to find out how.
/ is Yugi mental talk
// is Yami mental talk
' is thoughts





Chapter 1: Enter the Danger World

A full year had passed since Adella and her colleagues accepted Yami for what he is. Since the day of Yugi's virtual death date, things have been relatively calm. Only a few people outside of Adella's colleagues knew and respected Yami. Most people never knew that Yami was the griffin because they only saw him as a human. Yami only became a griffin around those he deeply trusted.
He still lived in the forest. He would spend some time out of the forest with Yugi, Adella or her colleagues. He was usually out of the forest for most of the day. When he did return, it was already dark for the most part. Sometimes, he did spend the entire day in the forest. He was currently taking Yugi through the mountains.
"This is incredible Yami," Yugi said in awe as Yami flew through and over the mountains.
"I'm glad you like it. Before my kind got killed, we would fly through this area all the time. Before I met you, I had no motive for coming here again," Yami said.
Artemis appeared beside Yami and flew along with him. Yami and Yugi smiled.
"How nice of you to join us Artemis," Yami said.
"I'm always glad to accompany you on your flights Yami, you know that," Artemis said.
"I know, and it pleases me to no end. You're like a sister to me," Yami said. "The sister I never had."
"I view you more of a sibling as well Yami and I love you and Yugi very much. Yugi is the best thing that came into your life. I can see that more each day you two are together," Artemis said.
"I never knew you thought of me that way Yami. I thought that you were the best thing that came into my life," Yugi said.
"Seems like we are both on one accord here," Yami said as Yugi nodded.
After about three hours of flying, Yami took Yugi back to the forest, and Artemis disappeared. It was already dark, and Yugi wanted to sleep in the forest with Yami. Yugi had already told his mother that he wanted to spend the night with Yami so she wouldn't worry. Adella never worried about Yugi when Yami was around. She knew that Yami would take very good care of Yugi.
Yami flew up to one of the fruit trees, and Yugi picked some fruit for them. Then Yami landed, and Yugi dismounted him. Yami turned into a human, and they ate the fruit. Half an hour after eating, Yami turned back into a griffin and lay down. Yugi lay his head, neck and shoulders on Yami's side, and they fell asleep together. Artemis turned the grass around them into a green blanket and put it over Yugi to keep him warm. It could get quite chilly in the forest at night, but Yami was used to it so he was never cold.
At Yugi's house, Almont was spending the night. He and Adella were currenlty talking about what has happened in the past year. It was the ordinary hunter's day of going out to kill something for the morning, afternoon and/or evening meal. That is until Yami made a dramatic entrance into their lives.
"It's amazing how Yami has survived for over a millennium. He doesn't look a day over 17 years of age in human form," Adella said.
"I agree. Artemis takes very good care of him," Almont said.
"And Yami takes very good care of Yugi. I've never seen Yugi any happier than he is now. Yami's presence has brought more meaning to Yugi's life. Yugi never had many friends. Yami turned his whole world around with not only what he [Yami] is, but also in love and friendship. He and Yugi seem more like close brothers than friends, and I'm very glad that Yami came into Yugi's life," Adella said.
Meanwhile, Yugi and Yami slept peacefully in the forest. They were unaware of hte dangers that would soon take place. Unknown to them and the gods, there was an imbalance of nature. This imbalance was so great, that it corrupted the magic of the forest. Yami and Yugi would be in for the adventure and danger of their lives. In the case of a great imbalance of nature, the enchanted forest would send anything of its choosing to a world of high danger. This time, the forest had its sights on Yami and Yugi.
Yami and Yugi didn't even feel when they were transported and slept on. The world looked much like the enchanted forest, but the forest was a lot safer compared to this world. Unlike the forest, which really had only one danger area, this world was full of dangerous areas. There were only a very few number of safe areas. One good thing about this is that it never got chilly in this world. The temperature was always a comfortable 72 degrees during the day, and 65 degrees durning the night.
The next morning, Yami woke up first. He didn't like the feeling he received. The place they were in looked like the forest, but he felt much more danger than the forest he lived in would have in a lifetime. Just then, he felt a painless shock go through him. The tingle is what woke Yugi up. He sat up and immediately whimpered at how dark the area was.
"Where are we?" Yugi asked fearfully.
"I don't know. This is not the forest," Yami responded.
"No it isn't. We just felt the great imbalance of nature in the forest," the voice of Artemis said.
Yami's blood ran cold at hearing that. "Not that," he said fearfully.
"What is it?" Yugi asked.
"When the forest is terrible off balance, its magic becomes corrupted. In order for the forest to balance itself again, it sends something to a very dangerous world. I've been sent here a few times and was lucky to come back alive," Yami responded.
Yugi was really afraid now.
"Don't worry Yugi. I'll protect you from whatever dangers we face," Yami said.
"The painless shock you felt was me giving you some more powers and abilities that will be of great help to you from now on Yami. You now have the abilities of breathing fire, and enhanced strength and speed. In addition to you power of healing, you have teleportation, levitation, transporting yourself and/or others, invisibility, creating things and pure energy. Neither the gods or I can help you directly, so I gave you some indirect help," the voice of Artemis said.
"Thanks Artemis, it will come in great handy," Yami said. "We might as well get going Yugi. The only way to return to the forest is to make it to the end of this world."
"How long does that usually take?" Yugi asked.
"It always took me over a year to get out," Yami responded. "But when I have to, I'll teleport us to different parts of the world to make our journey a little quicker," he added.
Yugi nodded, and they started walking. Yami was still in griffin form, ready to fly off with Yugi if he had to. Yami didn't have long at all to wait, for he grabbed Yugi and flew up a few seconds later. A flaming arrow that streamed towards Yugi ended up burning up a nearby tree instead.
"That was close," Yugi said.
"Too close," Yami agreed. He flew up again as he sensed another arrow coming at him. He transported Yugi to his back. "You'll be less vulnerable on my back Yugi," he said as he created a forcefield around them to protect them from the flaming arrows being shot at them.
It was a fortunate thing because the arrows came from multiple directions now. The arrows bounced off the invisible field as Yami flew on. He teleported to one of the few safe areas of the world half an hour later.
"Where are we now?" Yugi asked.
"This is one of the few safe areas of this world. Even though this world has plenty of meat, fruit and water, this is one of the few places to eat, drink and sleep without having to worry about some kind of attack from the dangerous tribes, and creatures that lurk just about anywhere in this world. I always had to be careful. Now, we'll have to be on heightened guard from now until we get out of this place," Yami responded before becoming human.
They saw some fruit hanging off nearby plants, and Yami picked some for them to eat. They ate and drank in peace. A few hours afterward, they left the safe area. They didn't want to do it, btu they didn't want to spend the rest of their lives in a dangerous world either. Yami turned back into a griffin.
"I hope we get out of this world as soon as we can. My mother will most likely be worried out of her mind when she hears about this," Yugi said.
"She already is young one. I told her what happened, and she literally went through the roof because she was so worried," the voice of Artemis said.
"I'll do my best to protect Yugi. Adella knows that," Yami said.
"Yes she does. Even though she is very worried, she knows that you will do all in your power to keep Yugi safe," the voice of Artemis said.
A couple of hours later, Yugi's pace slowed. Yami instantly knew that Yugi was tired and stopped for Yugi to get on his [Yami's] back. Yugi gratefully got on Yami's back, and Yami continued walking. Yami stopped walking only a few moments later. Suddenly, he caught a spear with his tail. He turned it sideways the moment he caught it because the sharp end was pointed for Yugi. Applying more pressure, Yami broke the spear in half, letting the halves drop to the ground.
'Whoever is doing this just doesn't know when to quit. This was the second attempt to kill Yugi today,' Yami thought. He knew that these two attempts were nothing though.
Being sent to this world three times really increases his alertness as time progressed. He knew that he would need that alertness to keep Yugi safe as they made their way through the dangerous world. He heard faint yelling up ahead. The yelling got louder the closer it came to him. Quickly realizing that it was a tribe, Yami flew into the air. Unfortunately, Yugi didn't have a good grip on Yami and slid off. Yami felt Yugi slide off his back and straight for the tribe below.
Yami quickly dove towards Yugi, using his paws to grab him [Yugi]. He flew on thorugh the air until deep into the day. He landed after gently plancing Yugi down. He became human and carried Yugi into a nearby cave. He [Yami] was relieved to see that the cave was still abandoned. He went deep into it because tribesmen would often come in looking for him. Fortunately, the cave was so long that they always gave up and went back out.
Yami stopped in the center of the cave. There was a clean lake for drinking and fruitful plants that grew along the lakebed for eating. He placed Yugi about five feet from the lakebed and picked off some of the fruit. Yugi awoke from his nap to find some fruit next to him. He looked around but didn't see Yami anywhere.
/Yami?/
//Yes Yugi//
/Where are you?/
//I've gone deeper into this cave. You were still sleeping so I decided to do some looking around. Don't worry about tribesmen or anything. This cave is so deep that they give up before the even get close to where we are//
/Okay. I'll see you when you return/
//All right Yugi//
Yugi ate his fill of the fruit. Afterwards, he sat by the lakebed. He looked into the clear water. 'It looks good to drink,' he thought as he cupped his hands and dipped them into the water. He brought them back up and tasted the water. 'That was good,' he thought. He was about to try and find Yami when he slipped over a plant root and fell into the lake. He failed to notice Yami returning.
Yami heard the big splash and ran over to the lack. He knew that Yugi fell in and dove into the water. He quickly swam down and wrapped his arms around Yugi. Yugi coughed up water as he surfaced in Yami's secure hold.
"Are you all right?" Yami asked.
"Yes," Yugi responded.
"What happened?" Yami asked.
"I was just about to try and find you when I slipped over a root and fell into the lake,"Yugi responded.
"I returned to get you," Yami said.
"Then I failed to notice you," Yugi said.
"That's all right Yugi. Let's just rest because it will be dark soon," Yami said. He swam to solid ground and came out of the lake with Yugi.
They rested until dark. Then Yami turned back into a griffin, and Yugi positioned himself on the side of Yami's body. They fell asleep together. They would continue on the next morning. However, the enchanted forest has gotten far more imbalanced and decided to send them a nasty surprise when they exited the cave. The next morning, a loud, unfriendly growl awakened them. The thing about this growl is that it actually came from the entrance, but sounded loud enough to fool anyone.
"What's that?" Yugi asked fearfully.
"I don't sense the creature's presence anywhere near where we are. That has to be one loud growl," Yami responded.
"Where is it coming from?" Yugi asked.
"I sense that it's coming from the entrance," Yami responded.
"You mean we're trapped?" Yugi asked.
"No Yugi. Get on my back, and I'll show you how we're not trapped," Yami responded.
Yugi got on Yami's back, and Yami fired a highly charged energy beam from his mouth at the ceiling. A big chunk of it dissolved away, and Yami flew out of the ceiling. He then repaired the hole in the cave before flying away.
"I hope we're long gone before that creature finds out we're gone," Yugi said.
"I know what you mean," Yami agreed.
The sound of screeching made Yami hover in midair.
"What was that?" Yugi asked.
"It sounded like harpies," Yami responded.
"What are harpies?" Yugi asked.
"Harpies are creatures that are half woman half bird. I've dealt with them before when I was sent here," Yami responded.
The screeching got closer and closer until Yugi and Yami could actually see the source. It was indeed a flock of harpies. The flock circled around them, ready to block them off in case of an escape attempt. Before Yami could react, one of the harpies snagged Yugi off his back. Then the harpy put her claws dangerously close to Yugi's neck, threatening to slit his throat if Yami made a sudden move. The other harpies then proceeded to attack Yami.
Yami was so angry that he gave a loud, angry screech(A/N: He is part eagle after all). Yugi had never heard Yami screech at all before and grew terrified with how much anger he felt in the screech. He could only watch as Yami gave the harpies a brutal beating. Yami went from clawing at the harpies with his paws to breathing fire and energy at them. The flock flew away with their last ounces of strength in fear.
The one holding Yugi shook in fright of what Yami could do to her. Yugi on the other hand was blinded by fear. He only saw what Yami did in anger to realize that Yami only wanted to get him [Yugi] safely away from the harpies. Yami sensed Yugi's fear and tried to get to him.
//Yugi, it's all right. I won't hurt you// He only felt a mental wall of fear. 'This is not good. Yugi fears me now because of what I can do when I'm very angry,' he thought.
The harpy took advantage of his distraction to fly away. Yami roared in anger this time and sped after the harpy. He flew above the harpy and used his sharp claws to strike her hard on the shoulder. The harpy screeched in pain and dropped Yugi. Yami dove and grabbed Yugi with his paws, but Yugi struggled to free himself.
"Yugi, will you please stop struggling? You'll fall if you make me let go of you, and I don't want you to fall," Yami said desperately.
Yugi stopped, but only because he didn't want to fall. Yami put him safely on the ground before landing. Yugi only backed away from him.
Yami sighed and sadly asked, "Do you really fear me now, even though we've known each other for a year?"
"But I've never seen that part of you before. You could've intentionally killed those harpies," Yugi responded.
Yami sadly walked over to a nearby tree and sat down. He knew that Yugi was right. He never thought he could get angry to the point of wanting to kill something in a heartbeat just like the rumors said about griffins. //You have every right to be afraid of me//
Yugi felt his mind and heart split. His mind was telling him that the rumors were actually true, while his heart told him that Yami only wanted to get him back safely despite what he did in his anger and not to even consider the rumor true for a moment. He followed his heart, knowing that it never failed him and he went over to Yami and sat next to him.
'I didn't mean to make him sad. I just don't think sometimes,' Yugi thought. "I'm really sorry Yami. I don't think straight when I'm really afraid of something. I really misunderstood your intention to save me from those harpies," he said.
"No Yugi, I should be sorry. I got carried away in my anger. As I said, you had every right to be afraid of me. For the most part, I can control my actions when my anger drives them. I haved never been that angry before. I felt really out of control," Yami said.
"I should've heldped you through your anger though Yami. This is as much of my fault as yours," Yugi said.
"No Yugi, it isn't your fault. I just have to learn to control my actions in case I get that angry again," Yami said.
Yugi stood up and hugged Yami. "I'll help you to control your anger so this won't happen again," he said smiling.
"I would most likely appreciate that," Yami said smiling. "Now let's get out of here," he added.
Yugi got on Yami's back, and Yami flew off. They were both in thought about what had just happened and the new thing they found out about each other. Even though Yami did get really mad, he didn't intend to go as far as he did, and Yugi now understood that. Yugi mentally kicked himself for even wanting to believe in the rumor. This only encouraged both of them to really stay together in friendship and to not let this or anything come between them again.



Well, here's the first chapter. I have a few things planned for this story that I feel needs to be broken up into at least three chapters. The tension that happened between Yami and Yugi was a slight misundestanding. But woudn't you say that it was also a test to see how deep their friendship was? Don't worry though; this is the only tension that comes between them in this story. Preview for Chapter 2: Unlimited Danger: Yami and Yugi continue to make their way through the dangerous world. They have been in the world for three months and are nowhere close to being out. In addition to the dangers already in the world, the enchanted forest becomes so imbalanced that its corrupted magic even affects the weather and natural disasters in the danger world.