Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Math ❯ Part II ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Technical Difficulties: I've realized that on FF.net, the new Quick Edit Feature has been causing problems with the uploading process of each chapter, therefore not all of the spaces and hyphens in between stanzas or paragraphs do not show up. Also, on MM.org, sometimes the bold italics used to convey lyrics show up as the normal font. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and confusion that this may have caused.

Author's Notes: I'd like to thank everyone who reviewed the last chapter. A few people commented on the length of the chapter (and its relation to the length of the lyrics), and I completely agree. Last chapter was uber-short, and I also wanted to include the full lyrics at the beginning so people understand where this piece is coming from. I also know some people dislike Hilary Duff (including me and my friends) but this is one of the few songs of hers that I really like, and I thought it had a pretty good concept, so I decided to utilize it to create a short "two-shot" fic. I'm glad people are giving this fic a chance even though they don't really like Hilary Duff. I hope I upheld all of your expectations for the second and final portion of this piece.

Stylistic Notes: Same as last chapter--lyrics are displayed in bold italics, and hopefully they'll show up. And I guess this is the section where I also come up with the excuse as to why last chapter was so short and this one was about three times the length--I didn't want to make it a one-shot, and plus it's easier getting feedback when an author divides the story into two or more sections.

Disclaimer: (See Part I)

Warnings: Some OOCness, and the fact that some people just never learn to use clean language. Also, some rather intimate moments. Mind out of the gutter, people; all clothes stay on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Math

-

Part II

-

Joey's Point of View

Phase one of my plan was successful when Kaiba accepted my challenge to duel him. This was nothing new--I challenge him to Duel Monsters at least once a week nowadays. And he beats me, every week.

I threw my usual pre-duel insults at him throughout the school day, and he responded with the mutt comments, just as I'd expected. At lunch, I promptly tackled him for making a fool out of me in front of my friends (he always manages to make me eat my own words). Of course, he evaded all of my attacks, and I ended up with a bloody nose. After that incident, I thanked whatever deity that prevented us from landing ourselves detention.

After school, Kaiba and I met in the school parking lot. He tossed me a Duel Disk and our battle began. My friends were standing behind me, as always, cheering me on.

I dueled horribly. But I did that on purpose. As my life points reached zero, I sighed and dropped to the ground. "Damn," I groaned, my voice glum. "I lost, again."

Yugi approached me from behind, patting me on the back. "You did great, Joey," he assured me.

"Yeah--Kaiba just did much better," Tristan declared. Yeesh, he is such a jerk sometimes!

"You'll beat him next time," Téa said encouragingly.

"Joey, do you want to come back to the Game Shop with the rest of us to hang out?" Yugi asked.

"Nah, Yuge," I replied. "I left something in my locker; then I gotta get home."

"All right, then," Yugi responded worriedly.

Suddenly, Yami Yugi appeared on the surface of Yugi's body. He gave me a sly, knowing smile. Then, he disappeared as quickly as he appeared.

Yugi, Tristan, and Téa all began their walk to the game shop. I trudged slowly into the school building. Kaiba was nowhere to be seen, though I'd noticed his car was still parked at school.

As I reached my locker, I opened it with the three number combination. I felt an eerie chill as I stood, causing goosebumps to rise from my skin, the hairs on my neck standing on end. Just as I shut my locker, two elegant hands planted themselves on either side of me. I spun around, finding myself staring into a pair of frigid eyes. I backed up until my back was pressed against the locker wall.

"What happened in our duel today?" Kaiba demanded. My heart pounded in my ears. I knew that I was trapped. Kaiba's voice was so cold, so forceful. His icy glare sent shivers up my spine.

"What do you mean?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"I've dueled you enough times, Wheeler, to know ho strong you really are."

"Your point?"

"You weren't at your best today. When I defeat you, I want you to be at your best."

Hah. Just as I'd expected. He came after me wanting an explanation as to why I didn't do my best.

Everything was going according to plan.

"What gives, Kaiba? I can't be at my best every friggen' time we duel." I watched closely as Kaiba's eyes narrowed. That's it. I wanted him angry. I could see that his eyes were dilated. Even better. That meant he was turned on, too. Speaking of turn-on, my pants were getting a bit tight…

"What are you so pissed off about, anyway, Kaiba?"

"You're lucky I even give you the chance to duel me, Mutt," he responded, stiffly. "So when you duel me, you'd better not do it half-assed."

"So why do you let an amateur like me duel you, huh, Kaiba?"

Kaiba looked stunned. It was priceless, the way he stared at me with wide eyes, his mouth gaping open slightly.

Slowly, I leaned in and captured his lips. I couldn't help it. The moment was too perfect.

Kaiba immediately responded to my kiss. Although I'd initiated the kiss, Kaiba soon dominated. He closed the distance between our bodies. I could feel the bulge in his pants grind against my own.

Abruptly, he broke away, his crystalline eyes staring at me in disbelief. "What the hell did you do that for?!" he demanded, backing away.

"Do what?" I asked innocently.

"You know what."

"Why'd you do it back?"

Kaiba glared at me with as much dignity as he could summon before walking away.

"Wait."

"What do you want?" Kaiba snapped. His back remained turned to me.

"Look…I know you've liked me for a while. Even Yami Yugi knows it."

Kaiba wheeled around, his azure eyes blazing with anger.

"And you know I like you, too, Kaiba. Heck, you knew that even before I kissed you."

Kaiba's eyes narrowed impossibly more at the sound of the 'k' word.

"But I'm sick of all this nonsense, Kaiba. I'm sick of trying to figure out what you're thinking, sick of you trying to figure out what I'm thinking."

-

You're always trying to figure out

What I am all about

If you don't know what the answer is

Then just shut up and kiss.

It shouldn't take forever

To put it all together

-

"I just want the crap to stop. Let's end the fighting, end this game. If we're going to start a real relationship, let's have one, Kaiba, and stop beating around the bush."

-

If you can't do the math

Then get out of the equation

I am calling you back

This is star sixty-nine

Is it a minus or a plus?

Does enough equal enough?

If you can't do the math

The nothing adds up

Tell me why I'm here

-

"Fine."

"'Fine'?" I repeated, exasperated. "That's all you have to say?"

"I've agreed to your terms thus far," Kaiba responded nonchalantly.

"Kaiba, we aren't conversing about a business arrangement! This is about our relationship, meaning you and me. You have to contribute your own thoughts, give your own input."

-

Sure, I want someone to understand

But I don't need the stress

I'm not about being analyzed

Like it's some kind of test.

Don't have to be a genius

To figure what's between us.

-

"I understand."

I blinked. Gods, he just doesn't get it, does he?

"Damn it, Kaiba--this is not Calculus! Not everything can be evaluated like a math problem, and not everything has a calculated answer. Not everything in life can or will work out perfectly. Just listen to your heart and do what you feel is right!"

-

You can spend your whole life analyzing,

Justifying, quantifying, and dividing

'Til there's nothing left anymore

Why don't you just close your eyes

And kiss my lips and let it go

Just let it flow

It's what I'm waiting for.

-

"Very well," Kaiba responded icily. He spun on his heel and strode away.

I sprinted after him to catch up. "What the hell, Kaiba?" When he didn't stop, I tackled him to the floor. I spun him around quickly (oddly there was little struggle) and pressed my lips against his.

And like before, he returned the kiss willingly.

I just don't get him sometimes!

Before I knew it, Kaiba had flipped us over, and now he was on top.

When we finally broke away for air, I spoke first. "Why'd you do that?"

Kaiba smirked. "I knew you'd be pulling something like this, if it was true that you liked me. It was only a matter of time."

I shook my head in confusion. "What do you mean, 'if it was true'?"

Kaiba grinned slyly. "Well, when I'd finally admitted to myself that I had feelings for you, I was upset because I thought you hated me. But Yami Yugi told me one day that you and I think more alike than we realize--and in more ways than one. It took me a while to finally decipher what that meant, but I realized that your hate towards me was simply a façade. That's when I discovered we do think alike--we put up façades of hatred to cover up our true feelings for each other. It made me wonder about our other similarities in our thought processes."

"So why didn't you do something about your feelings? You never were the type to wait for things to fall into your lap."

"Well, I couldn't completely trust Yami Yugi," he replied wearily. "I wanted to make sure he was telling the truth."

"And so you walked away after our first kiss…"

"Because I knew you'd come after me if it wasn't all just a prank."

"So all along," I whispered in awe, "you've been one step ahead of me, even when I thought I was ahead of you."

"It sure seems that way, doesn't it?"

We both laughed together before Kaiba swooped down for another kiss.

And this time, there was less talking in between kisses. 'Cause finally, everything made sense.

-owari-

-

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Author's Notes: I really hope I didn't disappoint any of you with that. I'm NOT planning on writing another section of this (I'm saying this because sometimes people review asking for updates on my completed stories), and I don't think I'd even be able to write another section, because I feel that this ending offers enough closure, and continuing it would call for a an uber-long multi-chaptered story, and I'm really not up to doing another one of those. My other story (co-authored by Peachy Kay and the formerly known Kaya Kaiba) Wherefore Art Thou, Puppy? is another SetoxJounouchi, so I can recommend that.

Please Review and tell me what you thought! Thanks so much for reading!