Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The neverending story ❯ The beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lighting streaked through her vision and Kai jolted up, startled. She looked out her window, not a cloud in the sky. The sun shone through the slits in her blinds and out onto her floor, casting a shadow on the rest of the room. She sighed, her breath jerky. She slowly pulled back the covers and walked across the room to her door. She opened the door to see a tall dark figure standing there with a sharp, gleaming butcher knife in his hand.
“Hello Kai.” Kai screamed as loud as she could. Kai sat up, her nightgown drenched in sweat. It clung to her awkwardly as she shifted her body. She wiped the strands of hair that stuck to her face and looked out the window. Still night. She looked at her clock. 3:08 blinked menacingly in red. She got up and slowly opened the door. No one. She walked quietly to the bathroom and quickly closed the door. She flicked on the light, the florescent light humming to life and glowing down on Kai's pale skin. She slipped out of her nightgown and jumped into the shower. This was the third night in a row she had dreams in which she woke up to find she was still dreaming. She stepped out, wrapping herself in a soft, green towel and hurried back to her room. She slipped into red shorts and a gray tank before pulling up her hair and laying back down.
“I don't think I'll be able to go back to sleep.”
----------------------------------------------------------
Kai's arm was hooked with her two best friends, Natalie and Mai.
“This is the third night it happened.” Kai exclaimed to them and Natalie nodded.
“Maybe it's trying to tell you something.”
“I say that you're crazy!” Mai said as they turned the corner.
“Mai!” Natalie said sharply and Kai hushed her.
“It's ok, I'm as crazy as she is brainless.”
“Tooshay.” Mai said and they laughed as they entered the classroom. Joey spotted them and smiled.
“Hello, Hello ladies. I am just AMAZED at how pretty you all are.” Kai rolled her eyes and flipped her hair as she took her seat.
“Are you always going to suck up to us?” Duke hopped on Natalie's desk.
“That's our job baby cakes.” Tristan nodded, laying across Mai's desk.
“Yep, until one of you decide to date us.”
“Prepare to be suck ups for the rest of your lives then.” Mai implied and Kai and Natalie, and her hissed, putting their fingers together.
“Burn!”
“Ok, class, time to start!”
~After Class~
Kai and Natalie stretched on the ground outside on the football field, getting ready to practice track. Seto stopped running and waved at Kai.
“Hi!” He smiled widely and started to run again.
“Looks like someone has a crush!” Natalie giggled, nudging Kai.
“No it doesn't!” Kai said, hoping her hair would cover her redden cheeks. The whistle blew and the coach stood up as the people stopped doing what they were doing and gathered around him. He wore a gray sweatshirt with very short shorts and white tennis shoes. His hands rested on his hips and his legs were spread apart.
“Alright people!” He emphasized the `p'. “Let's get this practice rolling, actually…running, Ahah!” He smiled quickly as the rest of the team raised a brow. “Ok, then. We have a boy/girl tournament coming up tomorrow and I already got you in pairs!” The team slightly groaned.
“Don't groan, take it for the team. Kai Scotterfield and Steven West.” She groaned and watched the cocky boy high-five his friends before jogging towards her.
“Hello my purple-haired goddess.” He kissed her hand. “Tomorrow, we tango!” He did a romantic pose and Kai rolled her eyes. He suddenly gripped her tightly.
“Your fair skin, your peach lips, your sparkling blue eyes, we shall go under-”
“No, Steven, you're not the right one, I mean Seto Kaiba and Kai Scotterfield.” Steven's head dropped and Kai rejoiced inwardly.
“Until next time, my love.” He kissed her hand again and she jerked it away.
“Steven, you're with Natalie Smart.” Natalie groaned as he cha-chaed towards her.
“Come here my small, sweet, delicate piece of chocolate.” Natalie sprinted off across the field. “Wait! We have to do our dance of LOVE!” He chased after her and the coach smiled.
“Psycho's do make the ladies run.” Seto slowly approached Kai from behind and Kai gasped, jumping slightly.
“You caught me off guard.”
“Yeah, I can tell.” Kai's cheeks redden.
“So, I, um..” Seto smiled.
“Let's start practice.”
-------------------
After long, extensive training, Seto and Isis laid out on the field.
“Wow, today was…rough.”
“Tell me about it.” Kai said giggling.
“Kai can I have your number?”
“Well…yeah. I don't…have a cell, but I'm going to be babysitting tonight, you can call that number.” He sat up.
“You're not going to the bonfire tonight?”
“No I promised that I'd baby-sit way before they brought it up. Can't turn my back on them now.” He chuckled.
“Very responsible, I like that.” They got up and she gave him the number as Natalie jogged over to them.
“Hey!”
“Hey Nat, I'm surprised you can still walk.” Natalie laughed.
“When constantly running away from someone, you start not to feel the pain.” They all laughed. “I need your help on the high-jump and you rock it, so can you coach me?”
“Of course.” Isis turned to Seto.
“I'll…see you around?”
“Yah.” He walked off as Kai turned to a grinning Natalie.
“And who doesn't look like they have a crush?” Kai rolled her eyes laughingly.
“Whatever.”
“And I though you weren't going to the bonfire?”
“I'm not.” Kai stopped as Natalie positioned herself. She sprinted towards the poles and jumped.
“He asked for my number though.” Natalie looked at her quickly.
“WHAT?!” Kai flinched as the sound of the pole and Natalie smacking the mat.
“So let's get to work?” Natalie glared at her, yet playfulness in her eyes.
“You are so dirty.” Natalie went back to the beginning.
“Ready, set….GO!” Natalie sprinted off and jumped. “Curve your back inward! Legs up high when your back comes over the pole!” KLUCK! KLUNCK! KLUNCK! Time after time, Natalie continued to hit the bar.
“Are you sore yet?” Natalie wiped a brow.
“I'm finished. I just can't get it!”
“Yes you can!”
“No I can't!”
“Come on! Just one more and we'll go.” Natalie sighed.
“Alright.” Natalie ran and jumped one more time. Everything seemed to go in slow motion. Kai's mouth gapped open as Natalie flew over the pole and thumped hard against the blue mat. Natalie lay there in shock as she looked up at the pole, still in place. She got up screaming and tackled Kai.
“Oh my gosh, I DID IT!” Kai laughed.
“YES! I KNOW! ISAW!” Natalie looked past her and her eyes widened.
“What's wrong?” Kai started to turn around and Natalie stopped her.
“Oh nothing, I just thought I saw something.” Kai tried to turn again, this time seeing a flash of blonde, but Natalie jerked her head back.
“Nat, Stop!” She pulled away to see Mai hanging all over Seto. Kai felt as if someone had just punched her in the chest. When Mai stood up on her tiptoes and laid her creamy pink lips on his, Kai fell to her bottom, gripping her chest.
“Kai! Are you ok!?” Natalie exclaimed, wrapping an arm around her. Mai and Seto looked over at them.
“Kai!” He pulled away and Mai grabbed his hand.
“She's my friend, I got this.” Mai slowly walked over to them and stood with her hand on her hip. “Hey, Speedy Gonzalez, what's wrong?” She said, snapping her fingers. Kai jumped up, her fist balled, but Natalie stepped in-between them.
“Kai, calm down. Just go get changed.” Kai glared at Mai a bit longer then stormed off. Mai held her hands up.
“What did I do?” Natalie glared for a moment then backslapped her.
“How fare you kiss Seto and you know Kai likes him!” Natalie walked off as Mai tried to regroup from shock and the slap, hr cheek red. Seto grabbed Kai's hand.
“Kai-” She jerked away then turned to him. “Kai are you ok?” Kai's anger fled as she saw the concern in his eyes and her cheeks reddened.
“I'm fine.” She hurried into the locker room, Natalie coming in a few seconds later.
“You know Nat, I'm sort of glad I'm not going to that stupid bonfire.”