Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Note ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own- all characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi. I am merely borrowing them for the fun of it!
 
Warnings: Attempted suicide, self-harm, angst, YAOI! Boy on boy stuff here! I think that's it… Please enjoy!
 
Note: I refer to Ryou Bakura as Ryou, and I refer to Yami Bakura as Bakura.
 
This chapter is a bit shorter than the previous one, but…. I hope you enjoy anyway?
 
Hopefully this story is doing OK so far- I just wrote this in a few days and didn't really get anyone to check it over. Any mistakes are mine! (On the other hand, anything done well is all me too!)
 
I also hope (that's my new favorite word, I guess!) that the story isn't moving too fast. I know I probably should have had more description on some things I kind of skimped on, but I honestly didn't feel like writing them out.
 
Whoa- sorry, been rambling! Enjoy!
 
The Note- Chapter 2
 
 
Chocolate eyes slowly blinked open, betraying their owner's confusion as he stared at the ceiling.
 
'Where am I?' he wondered. He could feel a soft mattress beneath his body, but he was just so tired...
 
"Ryou?"
 
He turned his head towards the soft, unsure voice, eyes widening at the sight.
 
Little Yugi stood by his bedside, dark purple eyes showing his concern as one hand was frozen in the act of reaching for him. Behind him stood Yami, eyes also concerned. Tea, Tristan, Joey- even Serenity, Duke, and Mokuba!- were there too. Kaiba wasn't in the room, but if Mokuba was here Kaiba probably wasn't very far away. Tea, Serenity, Yugi, and Mokuba all had puffy eyes, as though they'd been crying. The others looked sad, as though they'd been holding back tears.
 
"What's going on?" Ryou croaked, voice weak. The effort it took to speak was enormous, and as memories came back Ryou could feel water gather in his eyes again.
 
He looked away from his friends.
 
"We heard what happened, and came straight here." Yugi told him, voice soft and small. "We were so worried about you Ryou! I- I just couldn't believe it-"
 
Ryou shut his eyes tightly as he heard sniffling in the background, followed by a comforting murmur that had probably come from Yami.
 
"Is there anything we can do for you, Ryou? We can help you get through this." It was Tea who spoke, voice dripping with genuine concern and worry.
 
Ryou bit his lip lightly, worrying it slightly between his teeth.
 
"Anything you need, name it, and Joey Wheeler will get it for you!" Joey proclaimed, attempting some of his usual cheer and failing miserably. Ryou opened his mouth to voice his request.
 
"I would like..."
 
His voice trailed off, mouth dry. He swallowed around the lump rising in his throat.
 
"Yeah?" Tristan prodded gently, after silence had stretched for almost a full minute.
 
"I would like you all to leave."
 
A shocked silence followed his words, but Ryou didn't turn his head.
 
"But- but why?" Mokuba.
 
"We're your friends- can't we at least help a little?" Tea.
 
Ryou shook his head, not quite trusting his voice.
 
"But-" Yugi.
 
"Please, just go." Ryou whispered, the almost inaudible sound somehow traveling through the room.
 
It was several minutes before Ryou heard any movement.
 
"Let's go, aibou. We'll come back tomorrow." It was Yami who spoke, sounding reluctant to go but realizing they would get no more out of Ryou that day.
 
One by one, the white-haired teen heard his friends shuffle out of the room, the door closing softly behind them.
 
He looked around the room.
 
It was white, just as dull and impersonal as all hospital rooms. Looking down at himself, he could see his clothes had been replaced with an ugly green hospital gown. His arms had been bandaged from his wrists to halfway down his forearms, and then bound to the sides of the bed- probably to prevent him from hurting himself again.
 
A blanket covered him up to his chest- almost to his neck, draped gently over his body. Currently, he lay in an almost flat reclining position, a pillow behind his head.
 
Glancing to his other side, he saw a bouquet of flowers- a get-well gift from his friends. There was only one, but the flowers were very pretty. A card sat next to it- both were probably last-minute items bought, since, as Yugi had said, they had 'come straight here'.
 
It was the thought that counted anyway.
 
Ryou relaxed back onto the bed, returning his gaze to the ceiling.
 
Quietly, he heard the door open again. A small 'clack' was heard as someone approached his bed.
 
He glanced over at the person, not particularly surprised to see a nurse.
 
"Hello dear. My name is Tsuni- I'll be in charge of your care while you're with us." She smiled thinly at him. "I noticed you had visitors, but they all left just a short time ago."
 
"Yes, I know." Ryou looked back up at the ceiling, too tired to put much effort into politeness. "Would you be so kind as to keep visitors from my room for a few days? I- I don't think I can talk to them just yet."
 
"All right, but only for a few days." Nurse Tsuni agreed. "It would be better overall for you to keep in touch with them while in here, but if you don't want to see anyone that can be arranged."
 
Ryou nodded.
 
"Thank you."
 
"Anything else you need, dear?"
 
Ryou was about to shake his head when his stomach growled. Tsuni smiled.
 
"I'll take that as a 'yes'. Please make yourself comfortable- I'll be right back." She turned and left.
 
Sighing, Ryou relaxed as much as he could.
 
'What happened?' He could remember the knife, the cuts, and all the blood... He could remember putting his wrists under the water, and then...
 
A loud 'crack' he had decided must have been the door, and two strong arms. There, the memory ended.
 
'Who brought me here?'
 
Ryou ate his food quietly, nose scrunching up at the taste. He had been given miso soup, rice, and some Western dessert called 'Jell-O' that tasted vaguely like a watermelon. He had only a spoon to eat with, since anything else had been deemed too sharp for him to eat with.
 
His hands had been untied so he could eat, but Tsuni sat with him while he did so- a guard.
 
She had been chatty, keeping conversation light and trying to 'get to know him better' in an attempt to make his stay more pleasant.
 
"So- anything you have a question about?" she asked. Ryou nodded slowly, chewing his rice and swallowing before speaking.
 
"Who brought me here?"
 
"Your brother did."
 
Ryou's confusion must have shown, for she continued.
 
"A bit taller than you, but his hair was the same color. It was a lot spikier than yours, and his eyes were red."
 
"Oh." Ryou put down his spoon, suddenly not hungry. He stared down at his tray, then slowly pushed it away from himself. "I think I'm done. Would it be all right if I took a little nap?"
 
Tsuni nodded, taking his tray.
 
"You need your rest- don't mind it if I come in a few more times to check on you. Today's probably been very tiring for you, correct?"
 
Ryou nodded, not even fighting as she gently gripped his wrists in turn and tied them back to the sides of the bed.
 
She left, taking his tray with her and leaving the door open only a tiny crack. As she exited the room, she shut off the lights.
 
Ryou closed his eyes, exhaustion taking him over.
 
'Bakura brought me here- but why? How?'
 
It just didn't make any sense.
 
A small tendril of fear curled through him- even though he knew Bakura would probably be the one to find him if he had succeeded, it was terrifying to had tried and failed. Ryou hadn't thought he would have to face Bakura, and after what he had revealed in his note...
 
Swallowing thickly, he allowed sleep to carry him off.
 
SKIP!
 
It was dark in the house- completely, but for the moon shining in the windows.
 
Bakura sat on his hikari's bed, the note clenched in his hands.
 
He had gotten back to the house hours ago, only to find that Yugi and his group had come over- apparently one of their group had passed by and seen the door open. Bakura had directed them to the hospital, grabbing the note- which had been untouched- and gone directly to Ryou's room.
 
He had been careful not to look into the bathroom. By now, the blood had probably dried, staining the white tile crimson. Until he knew his hikari was going to be all right, he couldn't bring himself to clean it up.
 
He hadn't visited his light either. Yugi and his group had stopped by after their visit to tell him Ryou had woken up, and that he apparently wasn't taking visitors.
 
''I love you.''
 
Those words sent an unsettling rush of emotions through him. It was as if someone had mixed disbelief, hope, amazement, confusion, longing, and happiness into one feeling. He hadn't had time to analyze his feelings, before, but now he had nothing but time.
 
''I wish I could have said it to your face just once.''
 
Bakura's crimson eyes scanned the note, even though he had memorized it. Unwilling as of yet to put a name to the emotion running through his body, he carefully refolded the note and stood.
 
It may have been the middle of the night, but for him the late hour meant very little.
 
It was time to pay a visit to a certain hospital room.
 
He headed out the door, slipping his shoes and jacket on.
 
TBC
 
A/N: Sorry if it wasn't very good- the next chapter is my favorite! Also sorry for any OOC or it being unrealistic, but I've not been in the hospital since birth and I've never been treated for a suicide attempt. If I've made any painfully obvious mistakes, feel free to correct me and I'll post the corrected version of this chapter with the third and last chapter next week.
 
Thanks to everyone who reviewed! Thanks for basically putting up with the randomness that is my mind and my crappy little stories…