Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Ones Next Door ❯ And So We Meet ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Here's the first REAL chapter, enjoy!

* * * * * * * * * *

Stretching my arms out widely, I breathed in a sigh. The morning air smelled good in Domino. Shifting my back-pack slightly, I stepped off of my new porch to head off towards Domino Junior High School.

The moving van was still in our driveway, the final delivery of our furniture just yesterday. Mom was so excited I think that she would have put Barney the purple dionsaur's constant enthusiasm to shame.

And why, might you ask, did we move? Why else do familes move? Insane in-laws of course! After my fourteenth birthday had been left as a permanent mental scar, one that will probably cost me a lot in shrink bills later to come, my father said that he'd had enough.

Heh, grandma, the sweet, happy little old woman that I used to know, went balistic. So we moved as FAR away as possible.

Stepping away from our new two-story home, I realized that I could not hear any birds chirping. Why? Probably because the nieghbors had heavy metal music blarring. Those people must be completely deaf by now.

Ambling my was slowly by, I was early for school after all, human curiosity always seemed to get the better of me. So what do I do? Stare, of course.

A loud shout greeted my ears, resonating from somewhere in the depths of the rather large home. "KEKEWEY, TURN THAT RA-BE-DAMNED MUSIC DOWN!!!!"

I was briefly impressed by this person's ability at yelling, considering I heard it all the way out here. There was a crash somewhere, and the music slowly began to receed. Suddenly a thought flickered its way through my brain. What diety did that person just call out?

A female cried out from within. "Itai! Papa! HELP!!!" A screach, maybe a cat yowled off somewhere, and then another crash. "MAHAADO, PUT THAT BACK!!!!!!!" Another yelp.

'Great,' I thought to myself. 'Of all the nieghbors, we get the crazy ones.'

A shift in the bushes out front brought me out of my reviere. Granted, the front yard of these people WAS quite large, so it WAS probably just a cat that was weaving its way through. Probably the one that had yelped just a moment ago.

Heh. Smart cat. Sounds like all chaos is breaking loose in that house. Stay outside where it's probably more safe.

The screen door slammed open, and a rather short girl came out, looking wildly around. My breath caught in my throat. Hey, I couldn't help it! I'm a teenage kid with raging hormones, and she was pretty! Crimson colored hair fanned out behind her like silk, a crown of golden bangs was framing her cherubic face. Wide violet and ruby eyes were searching for something, black strands of hair falling like a custom-made head dress.

The bushes shuttered again, and she stepped off of her white-washed porched and began poking through it.

"Itai!" she squeaked. "Don't do that!" Quickly, she stood back up, and I could swear that there was a bundle of purple fur in her arms. "You know you're not supposed to go outside," she chided the rather large furball. From where I was, I couldn't get a clear view, but it was obvious that this was something. . .odd.

Looking around again, missing me now hiding behind a tree, she stalked back into the house.

"I found him, papa!" she called back inside.

"You two better go, it's quarter to eight!" It was another adult male's voice, different from the one that had called out over the blarring music just minutes ago. Yet another crash. I wonder how many vases and lamps they go through in a day?

"Otousan, why didn't you tell me sooner!?" This voice, probably a teenage male, cried desperatly from the other end of the house. Much pounding ensued, probably from running.

Hey people, ever heard of organization?

Two blurs ran out of the house. "By papa! By Otousan! Gotta run!"

"Wait! Don't forget your homework!" One person stopped and headed back as a spikey head of hair poked out of the front door. "Gomen, arigatou Otousan." The girl that I had seen come out earlier replied both sheepishly and gratefully. I still couldn't really see what her father looked like.

"Ja!" She ran back to the other person who had left the house. Deciding that now was a good time to move, I started walking again, meeting the two teenagers as they left the front gate of their home.

The other person was male, like I had guessed, with spiked hair that was a remarkable shade of black. I was quite surprised at its ability to defy the laws of gravity so well. His ends were a deep shade of purple, and hard violet eyes scanned everything around him. His features were a litte more defined than that of his sister's.

"Kon'ni'chiwa!" I greeted cheerfully. Might as well make friends with them. As I always say, I'd rather have the crazy ones on my side than be fighting against them. And besides, the girl was still incredibly cute.

Speaking of which, she turned around and look at me oddly, then grinned. "Kon'ni'chiwa."

"My name is Jon, I just moved in next door. Mind if I walk with you guys to school?" It was clear that they were both around my age. The girl possibly a bit older than her brother.

"Not at all," her brother replied. "I'm Kekewey, but everyone calls me Kent. This is my sister, Yumi." I gave the best 'dashing' smile that I could muster. "Hi."

Suddenly, I frowned, realizing something. "Kekewey? That doesn't sound Japanese."

The boy laughed good naturely, brushing a strand of his own golden bangs out of the way of his face. "It's not. It's Egyptian."

'Foriegn,' I mused to myself. Might explain a bit of the oddness. "That's cool." I glanced at my back as their house left view. "Quite a lively place in the mornings, isn't it?"

Yumi visibly blushed. "Yeah, our parents were never one with organization, always late to school themselves."

"Doomed at birth," I replied.

Kent chuckled. "That's an understatement."

I quirked an eyebrow. "Why's that?"

Silultaneously they both shook their head, and replied with the exact same thing at the exact same time. "Don't ask."

Don't ask me why either, but that sent an odd chill down my spine. "So," I started, trying to get on to more enjoyable conversaton, "what do you guys do around here for fun?"

The two siblings shared a mystified glance. What were these two hiding? Was there a frickin' alien in the basement? Look out everyone, Roswell in Japan!

"Uhh, not much," Yumi began. Yeah, like I'm going to by THAT so easily. "We go to the arcade sometimes! And we duel a lot."

Now my ears perked up. "You duel?"

"Yeah," Kent spoke up. "We're the best in school! No one's been able to beat us!"

"Really? Why's that?" I ask. I know that I'm not the best duelist, but I'm pretty fair. Haven't these people ever heard of Murphy's Law?

"Well, our par- er, dad IS the King of Games, after all. Even at his age he still hasn't been defeated. We were taught by the best," Yumi explained.

Kent looked up at the sky wistfully. "One can almost call it fate, destiny as it were."

Okay, these people were seriously off. I wonder if they've ever questioned their sanity? Or other people for that matter? And, of couse, I didn't miss that little slip up of Yumi's, but figured it best to let it drop.

Oh, what the hell. I didn't know anybody else around here, and I knew that I'd be bored later. "Wanna have a duel afterschool?"

Both seemed to visibly brighten. "Sure, it'll be nice to have a fresh face to challenge," Kent stated. "All of our friends still keep loosing to us."

"I won't make any promises, but I'll do my best."

And so, the day began. And I would wonder to myself later, 'What did I get myself into?'

* * * * * * * * *

S'all for now. Things to know:

Mahaado: Dark Magician

Mihaada: Dark Magician Girl

Kekewey: Mean 'darkness' in ancient Egyptain

Otousan: Yuugi

Papa: Yami