Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Power of Love ❯ Birth of a Prince ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I've read quite a few fics that were set in the time when Yami was pharaoh. I decided to write my own. This story does mention the characters who appear in the show a lot, but centers mostly around Yami and Yugi. Before you jump to conclusions, this is not a "Yami is pharaoh, Yugi is a slave" fic. The connection between Yami and Yugi in this fic is something that not many authors done. I won't tell you what it is now because you'll find out in the first seven paragraphs.
' is thoughts
Italicized words are song lyrics






Chapter 1: Birth of a Prince

It was a glorious day in the southern kingdom of Egypt. The sun was shining bright, and the temperature was hot. The kingdom itself was golden, making it look more glorious when the sun's light shone on it. In the pharaoh's palace, Pharaoh Yami's wife Nina had just given birth to a healthy baby boy. They and the ones inside the palace were overjoyed. Then the priestess Isis looked at the child then back at Yami.
"He almost looks exactly like you my pharaoh," Isis said.
It was true. The boy had red, black and blonde hair like his father, except he didn't have the bangs going through his hair. They both had violet eyes, except the child's were wide and childlike whereas Yami's were more mature.
"He has you eyes Nina," Yami said.
"Yes he does," Nina agreed. Like her son, she had wide and childlike violet eyes.
"So, what shall you call him?" Marik asked.
"His name is Yugi," Nina responded.
Yami then gently picked his infant son up and went out to his balcony. The entire population had gathered to welcome the new prince into Egypt. Yami was a very benevolent ruler. He ruled with wisdom, patience, love, kindness, trust and respect, but he was the best at delivering justice when the need came for it.
"My people, Ra has smiled on us this day. He has allowed us to have a prince. Say hello to prince Yugi," Yami said before lifting Yugi up for the crowd to see.
The crowd cheered for the new prince. "May Ra bless you young prince. Ra bless the pharaoh and his wife," it chorused.
Yami went back inside and put Yugi back with Nina. Then something moved in the Shadows. Three human-looking creatures came out of them. Yami smiled. These three figures were the Dark Magician, Dark Magician Girl and Celtic Guardian.
"Ah, Mystio, Mystia, Celti, how nice to see you on this glorious day," Yami said.
"We wouldn't miss this day for the world. Your other monsters in the Shadow Realm can't be still because they're so excited about it finally happening," Mystio said.
"He looks like you my lord," Mystia said.
"And he has his mother's eyes," Celti added.
"I wonder where Seth and Bakura are. It's not like them to be late," Marik said.
"Yes, that is weird. I hope that they're okay," Nina said.
Just then, a large shadow loomed over the crowd. The crowd went into an uproar. Yami and Mystio went out to the balcony to see what all the commotion was about. They looked up and saw the Blue Eyes White Dragon hovering above the crowd. Upon closer look, they could see two figures on its back.
"What is it Blue?" Yami asked.
Blue flew over and hovered in front of the balcony. Yami and Mystio gasped when they got a good look at the two figures on her back. It was Seth and Bakura, and they were seriously injured.
"Celti, I need your help over here," Mystio said.
Celti went over to help. He gasped upon seeing Seth and Bakura. He picked up Seth, and Mystio picked up Bakura. Then they and Yami went back inside. The others were very worried and worried even more upon seeing Seth and Bakura.
"Mystica, we need you," Nina called out.
A blue light lit the room, and the Mystical Elf appeared out of it. Then the light dimmed.
"Oh my, what happened?" Mystica asked when she saw Seth and Bakura.
"That's what we need to find out my healer," Nina responded.
Mystica nodded and began to chant. Soon, Seth and Bakura were completely healed. Seeing that her master was okay, Blue faded into the Shadow Realm, waiting for when she would be needed again. Seth and Bakura regained consciousness and sat up.
"Are you guys all right?" Yami asked.
"We are now. Thank you Mystica," Bakura responded.
"No problem," Mystica said before returning to the Shadow Realm.
"What happened?" Marik asked.
"I'm afraid we have bad news. Pharaoh Rameus has broken the truce. There was an attack on the far side of the kingdom. Bakura and I went to investigate, but the Shadow Monsters jumped us. I was barely able to summon Blue," Seth responded.
That was not what Yami and the others needed to hear. It had been a good day until this point. Yami and Nina feared for their son's safety now. It was a struggle to get the stubborn pharaoh of the northern kingdom to agree to a truce in the first place. Now that the truce was broken, it was safe to assume that Yugi's life was now in high danger.
"We must keep Yugi safe. I have no doubt that he will be a target now," Yami said.
The others nodded. They didn't have any longer to ponder because the palace shook. The crowd dispersed in fright. The palace was under attack.
"Mystia, stay with Nina and Yugi. Keep them safe. Celti, you help out too. The rest of you come with me," Yami said.
Seth summoned Blue, Yami summoned Drago, the Curse of Dragon and Winged Dragon, Bakura summoned Angelica, the Change of Heart, and Marik summoned the Winged Dragon of Ra. Then the humans and Shadow Monsters went off into battle. The army of the northern kingdom had pretty weak Shadow Monsters for the most part. Those Shadow Monsters were only strong enough to kill people. But that's what the northern kingdom only trained their monsters for anyway, killing people.
This was a very bad thing for them because Yami and his advisors' monsters were very strong. The inevitable was that the northern kingdom's monsters would be easily defeated. That was the case. Mystio, Drago, Winged Dragon of Ra and Blue didn't even break a sweat. Angelica turned some of the northern kingdom's monsters against their own comrades, and those monsters sent each other to the Shadow Realm.
But what Yami and his advisors didn't know is that they fell right into their enemy's hands. The northern kingdom's monsters had led them away from the palace. The plan was for the powerful monsters to be led away so that the infant prince would be vulnerable. Rameus heard about the birth of the new prince and wanted the prince dead.
"You haven't defeated us yet Yami. We don't have all weak monsters in our army. You fell into our plan. You are far from the palace, and the Thousand Dragon is heading for the palace now," Rameus said from aboard his Great Stone Dragon.
Then the Great Stone Dragon attacked Drago. Drago did its best to evade the attacks. Yami on the other hand was about to make Drago's fight a little easier. He summoned Gaia and fused it with Drago to create Gaia the Dragon Champion
"Slifer, hear my call. Come to me and help me save my family," Yami said.
A large rippling effect of power flowed through the air. Then a mighty roar almost shook the sky. Soon, a large two-headed red dragon appeared in front of Yami. Slifer had arrived. It then put one of its two heads on Drago so Yami could climb on. Yami got on Slifer, and Slifer headed back for the palace.
"We need to hurry. Mystia and Celti aren't powerful enough to handle Thousand Dragon," Yami said.
Slifer nodded and sped up through the air. Meanwhile at the palace, the Thousand Dragon had launched an all out assault. Yami's room had been left in ruins. Mystia and Celti tried to fend off the Thousand Dragon, but they weren't strong enough and were sent back to the Shadow Realm.
Yugi and Nina were under all the debris of the once beautiful room. Nina used her body as a shield to protect Yugi. Yugi would've surely died if not for Nina's fast thinking. However, the weight of all the debris had crushed her legs and stomach. She was quickly fading into oblivion. She was too weak to summon Mystica and Yami was battling the northern kingdom's monsters. Yami was the only one other than Nina who could summon Mystica.
"Yugi...I'm...sorry...that...I...won't...see...you...grow...up," Nina said.
Slifer arrived at the palace. He was horrified and angry at what he saw. The Thousand Dragon didn't notice Slifer yet and continued to destroy the room. Slifer attacked and the Thousand Dragon was sent back to the Shadow Realm. Slifer got close enough to the balcony, and Yami jumped off and onto the balcony. He was horrified when he saw the damage.
"Yugi! Nina!" he called. He got no answere. He feared the worst until he heard a soft cry coming from under the debris.
The Eye of Horus shone brightly on his crown as he started removing the debris. Slifer helped to clear the debris. Soon, Yami was greeted with a horrifying sight. Nina's body was completely crushed. He very gently moved her. He saw that she held Yugi in a weakened grip.
"Yami...please...take...care...of...our...son," Nina said very weakly.
"I will Nina," Yami said, tears coming out of his eyes.
Nina gave Yugi to Yami right before she breathed her last and her eyes closed. Yami wept over his wife's death. But in his grief, he was a lot more determined to make sure Yugi would be safe. The other advisors made it back soon afterwards. Seeing Nina dead devastated them. But they were also more determined to make sure that Yugi would be safe.
All of the good people of the kingdom wept over the loss of their queen. It then clouded up and started to rain. It was if the gods themselves were weeping as well. But this wouldn't change anything. The kingdom would still flourish.
"I will not let Nina's death be in vain. I will make Rameus pay for what he did to us," Yami said. "But we have more important things to worry about. The safety of my son and my kingdom are my top priorities."
"Agreed my pharaoh," the officials said.
It took a while for things to pick up where they left off before the attack on the southern kingdom's palace. Within a year and a half's time, the destroyed sections of the palace were rebuilt and things had gone somewhat back to normal. Nina's death would still be engraved in everyone's minds. It was a really tough blow for Yami because he loved Nina more than life itself. He tried to find someone else to marry, but he couldn't find anyone that he could love like he loved Nina.
Yugi was one-year old now. Yami knew that the best thing would be for Yugi to remember Nina. To do that, Yami always told Yugi stories about Nina. Yugi was currently under Mystio and Mystia's watch. Mystio was Yami's best friend and personal bodyguard. Mystia was more of an apprentice. She was a quick learner though and was able to learn spells faster than Mystio expected. Much goes without saying that he was very proud.
"What do you think that Rameus will try next?" Mystia asked.
"I don't know. But I know that it won't be good," Mystio responded.
"I can't believe that he would break the truce we worked so hard to create," Mystia said.
"Some people are like that Mystia. I know that it's hard to understand, but some people would rather be responsible for needless bloodshed than the need for peace," Mystio said.
They were so into their conversation, that they didn't notice that Yugi had crawled out of the room. Once out of the room, he got on his little legs and half walked, half wobbled down the hall. He got a little better at walking each day since he turned a year old, but he still didn't have it down yet. If Mystio and Mystia had noticed Yugi gone, they would've seen that he was heading for the throne room.
That wouldn't have been a bad thing if it were an ordinary throne room. But this throne room was reinforced with Shadow Realm's power. Only those with Shadow Powers could enter without being killed. Since Yugi was only a year old, he didn't have any Shadow Powers yet.
Yami had returned to his room to find Yugi missing. He was now looking for his son. A few moments later, he heard giggling. 'That has to be Yugi,' he thought, following the trail of giggles. When he caught up to Yugi, it was almost too late to stop Yugi from entering the throne room. "Yugi, don't go in there!" he cried.
But it was too late. Yugi had entered the throne room. The moment Yugi entered the room, purple lightning streaked through the room. Yugi thought of it as a game and weaved his way through the lighting. But it proved to be far from a game when he was close to being struck six times. Also, he felt weaker. As everyone knows, it's very odd when a one-year old is out of energy.
"Yugi, stay still. I'll get you out," Yami said. He then walked through the otherwise very deadly room. He knew that he had to get to Yugi before one of the purple lightning bolts could make a deadly strike. He got closer to Yugi.
One purple lightning bolt was right on target with Yugi. Fortunately though, Yami made it to Yugi before the bolt did. The Eye of Horus shone brightly on Yami's crown as a shield formed over both of them. The lightning bolt dissipated on contact with the shield, and the Shadow Realm faded out of the room. Yami gave a big sigh of relief, and the shield around him and Yugi also dissipated.
"You had me scared Yugi," Yami said. "It's dangerous for you to be in here right now." He picked up his son and returned to his room.
Mystio and Mystia were relieved to see Yami return with Yugi. "Where did he go?" they asked.
"He almost got killed in the throne room," Yami responded.
"We're sorry my lord," Mystia said.
"Think nothing of it. You got to really watch infants. They can disappear when you're not looking," Yami said. He looked at Yugi to see that Yugi was cuddled up asleep in his arms. He smiled and placed Yugi on the large bed. He knew that he was going to have to teach his son Shadow Magic so that this wouldn't happen again.
One thing about the Shadow Real is that if the lightning didn't kill someone, one without any kind of Shadow Magic would feel drained of energy until dying from severe energy loss. That's what almost happened to Yugi, and Yami was going to make sure that it wouldn't happen again. Yugi shivered as a cool breeze came into the room. Yami put the sheets over Yugi. Yugi giggled and went back to sleep.
One of the servants brought food into the room. "Here's your dinner my lord," she said.
"Thank you, you may go now," Yami said.
The servant bowed and left the room. Yami awakened Yugi, and they ate. Half an hour later, Yugi was out like a light again because he was still very tired. The others smiled at this.
"It's a shame that Rameus wants to kill Yugi. If not so stubborn, I'm sure that he would really like Yugi," Mystia said.
"I agree Mystia, but there's no changing some people no matter how hard you try," Yami said. "You better head back to the Shadow Realm for now. I'll call if I need you."
Mystio and Mystia nodded and disappeared back to the Shadow Realm. The flash of light, signaling Mystio and Mystia's return to the Shadow Realm woke Yugi. Yugi then started to cry.
"Shh, Shh, it's all right Yugi. Don't cry," Yami said soothingly. He then began to sing a song that his mother sang ot him (A/N: I don't own this song. It's a song that I sing in my voice lesson here at school except that I changed the word God to Ra for the sake of the story. This is a story set in Ancient Egypt so the religion has to fit too right?).

"Sleep my child and peace attend you
All through the night
Guardian angels Ra will send you
All through the night

Soft the drowsy hours are creeping
Hill and vale in slumber sleeping
Ra, his loving vigil keeping
All through the night"

Yugi fell asleep under his father's soothing voice. Yami smiled and soon fell alseep himself. It had been a very long day and year, and sleep was calling to him. Sleep called to everyone in the kingdom. The year spent cleaning up and repairing the damage done took its toll on everyone, at it was good to be able to rest after the repairs were made.


Here's the end of chapter 1. Well what do you think? I'm sorry about making you guys wait for so long. Now that the semester is coming to a close for me, things are pretty hectic to say the least. For all the fans of my story Seeing Isn't Always Believing, I'm working on the fourth chapter and will post it as soon as I can. Oh, and the song is called Angels through the Night. I would really love to sing it for you guys, but we're spread all over the country. Enough said for that. Preview for Chapter 2: The Miracle: A spy lurks in the palace. This spy is from the northern kingdom. The mission is to pose as a servant and wait for the perfect time to kill Yami. The spy is able to do that. But what is the miracle that will happen? You'll have to find out. Guessing is highly allowed until I post this chapter of the story.