Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Wandering Samurai ❯ A Rescue Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I was in Las Vegas when I thought of the idea for this fic.  It's like this idea just wrapped around me and wouldn't let go until I let it out.  I thought it was a good idea but I'll let you be the judge of that.  This fic takes place in Ancient Japan.  It has a little hint of Shaman King and DBZ.  In this fic, Yugi is a young boy who has been abused by his parents since he was born.  Yami is a great and highly respected warrior.  Read along and see what happens as these two people from two different worlds if you will meet.  Warning: Character death in this first chapter.
' is thoughts






     &n bsp;                            Chapter 1: A Rescue Meeting

It was a stormy day in the Imperial Kingdom.  The rain came down in torrents, and there was constant thunder and lightning to accompany the very heavy rain.  It was also pretty windy as well.  This wasn't the day for anyone to be out unless he/she had to.  But there was one person who was very unfortunate to be out in a storm like this totally unprepared.

This person was a young boy.  He was 12 years old.  He had star-shaped hair that was black with red tips and blonde bangs.  He had wide and childlike violet eyes.  He was pretty short for his age at only 4 feet tall.  His name was Yugi.

He was out in the storm because his parents sent him to get some groceries.  The rain had caught him off guard actually.  He managed to make it to the marketplace before the rain came down.  But the storm started only five minutes after he made it to the marketplace.  He had stayed under one of the marketplace's awnings for a good while.

'I knew that I should've brought my parasol,' Yugi thought.

Knowing that running wouldn't make much of a difference due to how hard it was raining, he started to walk through the drenching rain.  Suddenly, a parasol dropped right in front of him.  He picked up the parasol and looked around to see who could've dropped it.

'I wonder who dropped this,' he thought.  He soon just shrugged and opened it up.  'Oh well, at least I won't get more soaked than I already am now.  Hopefully I'll get to thank the person who gave this to me,' he thought as he continued his way home.

The person who dropped the parasol was secretly following Yugi.  This person was a samurai.  He had been secretly watching the young boy since he first saw the boy four years ago.  This samurai looked like an older version of they boy.  He had star-shaped hair that was black with red tips and blond bangs as well.  But the samurai's hair was spikier than Yugi's was.  Unlike Yugi's wide childlike violet eyes, the samurai had sharp-looking dark violet eyes.  He was two feet taller than Yugi and was 20 years old.

This samurai was the most respected person in all of Japan.  He was well known for helping the good people of Japan whenever the need came.  Almost everyone in the country knew about him.  Everyone who had the pleasure of seeing him perceived him as the a legendary warrior.

'I hope that I can meet that young boy soon.  I would really want to get to know him,' the samurai thought.

When Yugi arrived home, he put the parasol where his parents wouldn't be able to see it.  Yugi didn't have much of a good life unfortunately.  His parents were very abusive toward him.  They thought of him as the freak that no one would want to have to be responsible for.  Even though they didn't have much respect for anyone else either, Yugi always got the worst end of the stick.

Yugi had to deal with the abuse everyday.  It was either do what his parents said to the last detail, or he would be punished.  The only relief he could get from his parents was when he went to stay with his grandfather Sugoroku(A/N: I will be using a couple of Anime names for this story).  Sugoroku was very worried about his little grandson.  His own son-in-law and daughter threatened to kill him if he took Yugi away from them.  Talk about evil people.

Yugi had then entered the house.  He looked at the time and paled considerably.  Because of the sudden storm, he was half an hour late.  One thing that his parents didn't like was tardiness.  He thought about sneaking around the back and going to his room.  But that thought was immediately out the window when his father came into the room.

"You're late you little runt.  You know the consequence for being late," Mr. Motou said.  He then grabbed Yugi's arm very roughly.

Yugi winced at how had his father grabbed him.  Tears that had gathered in his eyes began to fall.  He always wished that he wouldn't have to deal with this kind of torture.  He would like to just be able to live with his grandfather.  But he knew that his parents would carry out their threat to kill his grandfather.  He took the beatings and shunning for the sake of his grandfather's safety.

'Someone please save me.  I don't want to be in this house anymore,' Yugi helplessly thought.

But his father saw the tears.  "Why are you crying?  It doesn't matter.  You'll have something to cry about when I'm done with you," he said.  He then stripped Yugi before taking out a whip and lashing out at Yugi with it.

Yugi screamed in pain as the whip slashed across his bare skin.  Every time Yugi would do something "wrong" according to his parents, his father would beat him with the whip.  He screamed until he couldn't scream anymore.  He then fainted from the intense pain that he felt.  To add insult to injury, his father then kicked his bleeding body five times before just leaving Yugi lying on the floor.

What neither Yugi nor his father knew was that someone watched from a nearby window.  He watched in anger upon seeing the helpless boy being mercilessly beaten.  He would like nothing more than to take the boy away from such a heartless monster.  But he could do nothing right now, which is what angered him the most.  He never liked feeling helpless, which is exactly how he felt now.  He then left without a sound.  It was like he was never there.

"Next time you won't be late getting back here," Mr. Motou said upon returning to the room.

Yugi's tears fell faster now.  He slowly and painfully went to his room.  When in his room, he closed and locked his door.  This was the only way he could have private time.  He managed to get a lock put on his door when his parents were away on a business trip.  He also had the only key that would open the lock.  He dressed his wounds the best he could before putting on some more clothes and flopping on his bed.  He then cried himself to sleep.  He then remembered a story that his grandfather told him.

| Flashback |

"I would like to tell you a little story Yugi," Sugoroku said.

"What about Grandpa?" Yugi asked.

"It's the story of a warrior known as the Wandering Samurai.  It is said that this legendary warrior is the best in all of Japan.  It is also said that this great warrior has spent his life helping others.  That's why he is the most respected warrior in all of Japan," Sugoroku responded.

"Does he have a name?" Yugi asked.

"No one knows what his name is unfortunately," Sugoroku responded.

"Why is he called the Wandering Samurai?" Yugi asked.

"He never stays in one place for long my boy.  He travels from place to place," Sugoroku responded.

| End Flashback |

'Maybe the samurai can help me,' Yugi thought.

Meanwhile, there was a heated argument going on downstairs.  Sugoroku had come into the house.  He was trying to negotiate a deal with his daughter.  The deal was that Yugi would still be able to see her and her husband but he would live with Sugoroku.  Sugoroku had had enough of Yugi being tortured like this for no reason and no longer cared about the threat Yugi's parents made.

"I thought I told you that you won't be taking Yugi away from us," Mrs. Motou said.  "He is going to stay with us."

"So you can beat him for no good reason.  I won't take it anymore.  I can't believe that I have someone like you for a daughter.  You and your husband are the most dishonorable people I've ever had to deal with in my life," Sugoroku retorted.

Mrs. Motou looked like she was ready to blow a gasket after hearingd that last statement.  "How dare you call me dishonorable," she said angrily.

"Oh, like you can beat up your own son for no good reason.  If that's considered honorable, then I would like to hear what is dishonorable," Sugoroku retorted again.

"If he would only do things right, then he wouldn't be getting beaten," Mrs. Motou said.

"If you weren't acting like such a tyrant perfectionist, then you would've realized that no one could get everything done exactly right.  Even you aren't perfect.  As a matter of fact, you're universally far from it," Sugoroku said.

"This conversation is over.  Get out of our house," Mr. Motou then said.

"I've let you talk me down too much as well.  I am not leaving until Yugi is with me and away from monstrous people like you," Sugoroku said.

In the argument, no one had noticed that Yugi had heard almost every word spoken.  The voices had gotten so loud that he came out of his room to see what was going on.  He watched in horror as his father took out a dagger and tied it to the end of the whip.  Mr. Motou then reared the whip back and lashed it towards Sugoroku.  Sugoroku barely evaded the whip.

"Yugi is going to stay with us.  And you won't be able to do anything about it," Mr. Motou said before lashing the whip again.

This time, the whip hit its target.  Sugoroku's eyes widened when he felt the dagger go through him.  Mr. and Mrs. Motou smirked when the saw their father fall to the ground.  Mr. Motou then removed the dagger from out of his father-in-law's body.  Yugi couldn't take it anymore and rushed down the stairs to his grandfather.  He didn't give his aching body a second thought.

"Now you will stay with us.  If you tell anyone about this, you will be joining your grandfather," Mrs. Motou said.

"I'd kill myself first.  I refuse to spend the rest of my life with heartless people like you," Yugi retorted(A/N: Go Yugi! ^____^).

"Don't you dare take that tone of voice with me," Mrs. Motou said angrily.

"I'll take whatever voice I want with you.  You aren't my mother.  You're a demon," Yugi retorted again.

"You're asking for a serious beating you little brat," Mr. Motou said.

"I don't care anymore after you killed my grandfather you good for nothing snake in the grass.  I hate both of you," Yugi retorted a third time.

"That's it kid.  You're getting the beating of your life," Mr. Motous said as he prepared to lash the whip at Yugi.

"I have a better torture in mind dear.  We'll disown him.  We'll leave him to fend for himself," Mrs. Motou said.

"That is a great idea.  We'll see how he handles being all alone with no one to help him," Mr. Motou said.  "You have one hour to get your things and leave," he then told Yugi.

Yugi then went upstairs and gathered some of his personal belongings in a medium-sized bag.  He took several pairs of clothes, pictures of him and his grandfather, and a few other necessary things.  Then he came back downstairs and went out of the door.  He was still on adrenaline so he didn't feelk his wounds.  He opened up his parasol and went out into the storm.  He couldn't stop his tears from flowing after watching the murder of his grandfather with his own eyes.

An hour later, Yugi had wandered into an alley.  But this was not the place to be.  A gang of thugs resided in this alley.  Almost every unfortunate person to go through this alley was robbed and/or beaten.  A few times, the gang even killed unsuspecting people.  They only person who cleaned these thugs' clocks was the Wandering Samurai.

"Well, what do we have here?" one of the thugs asked.

Yugi looked at the gang fearfully.  The thugs had him surrounded.  One of them took his bag away and started going through it.

"What are you doing so far away from home?" a second thug asked mockingly.

"Don't you know what happens to those who come to this alley?" the first thug asked.

"Let's have fun with this little one," a third thug said.

Then the thugs closed in on Yugi.  Then one of them proceeded to strip him.  It was then that the thugs saw the bandages on him.

"It looks like the little one is hurt.  Let's add onto his injury," a fourth thug said.

The other thugs laughed maliciously before each one had his way with the poor boy.  But help was closer than the boy thought.  A lone samurai just happened to be passing by.  He heard a cry of pain and quickly made his way towards the source.  He soon saw a gang of thugs.  The thugs looked to be surrounding something.  He quickly climbed a nearby building to get a better look of what was in the middle.  He gasped when he saw that it was the young boy that he whad watched being beaten by the boy's father earlier.  His surprise then turned to anger.  He quickly took action.

The thug on the far right suddenly screamed as something smashed him against the head.  He then fell unconscious.  That caused the other thugs to take their attention off Yugi, which was just what the samurai hoped for.  Using amazing speed and skill, the samurai took out all of the thugs.  With the thugs taken care of, the samurai first picked up the boy's bag.

'Good, it appears as though nothing is missing.  The thug apparently didn't see any of these things as valuable,' the samurai thought.  He then walked over to the badly injured boy.  He slowly slid his arms underneath the boy and slowly and gently picked the boy up.

Yugi then felt warm strong arms gently pick him up.  He could see someone who looked almost just like him looking down at him.  "Who...who are you?" he asked painfully.  He felt his wounds a lot worse than ever since those thugs beat on him.  He was soon unconscious from the pain before the person could respond to his question.

"You're safe now Little One," the samurai whispered.  Then he left the alley and quickly made his way to one of his best friends' house.

This friend was a healer.  No one in the country could heal better than her.  The samurai made it to her house in practically no time.  The woman was just getting dinner ready when she heard a knock at the door.  She opened it and gasped in extreme worry upon seeing a severely wounded young boy in her friend's arms.

"Yami, what happened?" the woman asked.

"I'll explain later Mai.  Right now, he needs to be healed," Yami responded.

Mai nodded and quickly ushered Yami into the house.  Yami gently laid the boy on a futon and stepped away so Mai could heal the boy.  Mai had been blessed with the power of healing.  Within five minutes, she had completely healed Yugi.

Then Yami took a large shirt from out of Yugi's bag and put it on Yugi.  The shirt was so big that it went below Yugi's knees.  Then Yugi opened his eyes and saw a young woman with long blonde hair and violet eyes as well as the person who looked like him looking down at him.

"Are you all right Little One?' the look-alike asked.

"I'm fine now.  But who are you and how am I all healed all of a sudden?" Yugi responded, noting that his look-alike had a pretty deep voice.

"I'm Mai.  I have the power to heal.  This is my best friend Yami.  He brought you here for me to heal you," the blonde woman responded.  "What's your name and how old are you?" she added.

"I'm Yugi and I'm 12 years old.  What happened?" Yugi said.

"You were injured pretty badly.  I was just passing by when I heard your cry of pain.  I followed the direction of your cry and found you in deep trouble.  I took care of the thugs and brought you here," Yami said.

Yugi then looked at Yami.  Except for Yami having spikier hair with blond lightning-shaped bangs in the middle of his hair, sharper-looking eyes and being about two feet taller, he looked just like Yugi.  Yami wore white robes.  He wore a golden belt on his waist.  A long thin sword was attached to the left side and the halves of a Bo staff(A/N: I'm having the staff be separable for this story) attached to the right side.

"Are you a samurai?" Yugi asked.

"Yes Yugi, I am a samurai," Yami responded.

"And he's the best in this country too," Mai said.  "He has gone and made quite the name for himself.  He is known to many as the Wandering Samurai."

That last statement peaked Yugi's excitement.  "Are you really the Wandering Samurai?" he asked.

Yami smiled at Yugi's excitement.  "Yes Little One, and I known as the Wandering Samurai.  I have been secretly watching you for four years," he responded.

"Why aren't you at home with your parents?" Mai asked.

"I don't have parents anymore.  They disowned me after my father killed my grandfather," Yugi responded sadly.

Yami and Mai were in shock and anger when they heard that.  Then Yami went over and embraced Yugi.  Yugi leaned into Yami's warm and protective embrace.

"If you'd like, then you can travel with me.  I'm not called the Wandering Samurai for nothing you know," Yami said.

Yugi looked up at Yami and smiled.  "I would love to travel with you," he said.

"Do you mind us staying here for the night Mai?" Yami asked.

"You know that it isn't any trouble Yami," Mai responded smiling.

"I think that Yugi has been in the rain too long today," Yami then said.

That last statement confused Yugi.

"How did you know how long I've been in the rain?" Yugi asked.

"I saw you in the marketplace earlier.  I was the one who dropped the parasol in front of you.  You weren't able to see me because I left just after I dropped it in front of you," Yami responded.

Yugi smiled again.  "Thank you.  It prevented me from getting more soaked than I already was," he said.

"It was no trouble at all Little One.  I also followed you home in case somebody tried to do something unpleasant to you.  I was getting ready to leave when I saw your pathetic excuse for a father mercilessly beat you up.  I wished nothing more than to be able to take you away then and there.  But you're in good hands now," Yami said.

"Thank you Yami," Yugi said.

The rain had stopped a few hours after nightfall.  After having dinner, which consisted of noodles, vegetables and rice, Mai led Yami and Yugi to an empty room.  Yami helped Mai set up a couple of futons.  The futons were side by side.  Yugi soon got into the futon on the right.

"When are we going to leave tomorrow?" Yugi asked.

"We'll leave in the afternoon.  After all you've been through today, I think that you'll really need a good night's sleep," Yami responded.

Yugi nodded before settling down and falling asleep.  Yami smiled at the sleeping boy.

'I'll protect you Yugi.  I give you my word as a samurai.  And a samurai's word is very rarely broken,' Yami thought before he also fell asleep.




Well, here's the end of the first chapter to this new story.  What do you think so far?  I actually have the second chapter ready to be updated.  Oh, and sorry for having Yugi's grandfather die, but it went along with my plans for this story.  Moving right along, preview for Chapter 2: Yami's Secret: Yami and Yugi start on their way.  They make their way through a dangerous forest.  It's in this forest that Yami reveals a secret to Yugi that even his best friends do not know.  What is this secret and why is the forest so dangerous?  You'll have to stay tuned to find out.