Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Wandering Samurai ❯ Yami's Secret ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: Yugi got caught in a storm that suddenly hit the area and was late arriving home.  He got whipped pretty bad because of it.  Things got much worse because Yugi watched the murder of his grandfather.  Then his parents disowned him.  He was on his own.  He made the mistake of going into an alley that a gang of thugs hung around.  When things looked like they would keep getting worse, a legendary samurai came to Yugi's aid.  Then the samurai took Yugi to his friend's house where Yugi was healed.  It was there that Yugi learned that the legendary samurai's name was Yami.
' is thoughts






     &n bsp;                                   Chapter 2: Yami's Secret

It was a calm and clear night.  A brutal strom had hit the Imperial Kingdom and stayed persistent for most of the day.  But this night was the start of a better life for Yugi.  He had been through a lot just earlier today.  Not only did his parents mercilessly beat him, but his father also killed his grandfather in cold blood.  Then Yugi got disowned and was forced to leave.  As he passed an alley, a gang of thugs attacked him.  But the one that many people know as the Wandering Samurai rescued him.  The samurai then took Yugi to a friend's house where he was healed.

Yuig then found out that the samurai's name was Yami.  Yugi and Yami are currently sleeping at Yami's friend Mai's house.  For Yugi, this was his first peaceful night.  The next morning, Yugi woke up completely refreshed and saw Yami standing next to the window.  Yugi then got out of the futon which alerted Yami.  Yami turned around and smiled at the now awake Yugi.

"Good morning," Yami said.

"Good morning," Yugi said.

"How do you feel?" Yami asked.

"I feel a lot better," Yugi responded.  "How long have you been up?" he added.

"I was up since about the crack of dawn.  One thing that I got used to as a samurai is to be a light sleeper and an early riser.  You never know when danger will strike," Yami responded.  "The bath is two doors down on the left," he added.

"But I don't have my bag.  All my things were in it," Yugi said.

Yami simply left the room.  He soon came back holding a bag in his hand.  "Here you go," he said.

"Thank you very much," Yugi said as he took the bag from Yami and went into the bath.  He spent half an hour in the bath because this was the first time that he could just relax while taking a bath.  He would usually be very comfortable since he would usually always have gashes all across his body due to his father's whippings.

After his bath, he got dressed and went into the front.  He found Yai and Mai waiting for him.  There were three bowls of steaming rice on the table.  He took a seat next to Yami.  Then he, Yami and Mai ate their breakfast in silence.  Something has been bugging Yami since last night.  Mai saw the distant look on Yami's face.

"What is it Yami?" Mai asked.

"I just wanted to know why your grandfather was killed Yugi.  Something doesn't add up yet," Yami responded.

Tears started falling from Yugi's eyes upon hearing that.  He really didn't feel up to talking about that yet.

"If it depresses you so much, then you don't have to talk about it.  I'll be ready to listen whenever you are ready to talk about it though," Yami said.

"Thank you Yami," Yugi said smiling as he wiped his eyes.

"Don't worry.  You're under my protection now.  I give you my word on it," Yami said.

The morning went by quickly.  Early that afternoon, Yami prepared to leave.  He had removed this sword and staff to be comfortable on the futon.  He now had them back on this belt.  Yugi simply picked up his bag and followed Yami out of the door.  The two friends then went on their way.  An hour later, they started through a forest.

"What is it like to be a samurai?" Yugi asked.

"That depends on your point of view.  To me, it was the best decision that I ever made.  I love to help people and I felt that becoming a samurai would really allow me to help to the fullest of my abilities," Yami responded.

"Was the training difficult?" Yugi then asked.

"It was at times.  But it was well worth it to me.  Most of the time, I didn't even think about how difficult the training was.  Having the way of the samurai in my mind is what always drove me through the difficult parts of becoming one.  A samurai is to always be loyal, well disciplined, trustworthy, honest and have a good sense of justice.  When I first heard that, I knew that becoming a samurai was right for me," Yami responded.

Then there was silence between the two.  No more words needed to be spoken for right now.  They were just enjoying the tranquility of the clear and sunny day.  Well, Yugi was enjoying the tranquil day at least.  Yami was on edge.  He just sensed an evil presence nearby.  One thing about Yami that even his best friends didn't know is that he is a spirit medium, meaning that he can see and sense spirits.

There were three evil spirits following Yami and Yugi.  Yugi walked on like normal because he couldn't see the spirits.  Yami gripped his staff in case he needed to make a quick strike.  His Bo staff was not just an ordinary wooden stick though.  It was a staff made by the gods themselves.  The gods were very pleased with Yami and presented the staff to him.  In addition to being a weapon to use against people and/or animals, the staff had the power to destroy evil spirits.  Since the gods formed the staff, nothing could break it.

Another thing about Yami that even his best friends didn't know was that he could fly.  He had actually learned how to fly through the use of Ki energy.  A samurai didn't have to learn Ki energy, but Yami felt that it would only let him be able to help others more.  It took a while, but he was able to master how to use Ki energy.  He had become pretty strong both physically and in Ki energy.

It took another great deal of time for him to learn to fly using the energy, but he was able to master it.  But he only flew when he felt it was necessary.  He was pretty fast on the ground and in the air when he wanted to be.  That's how he was able to quickly get Yugi to Mai's house.  If not for his great speed, he wouldn't have made it to his friend's house in time.

'We need to get out of this forest soon.  I can feel more evil spirits dwelling nearby,' Yami thought.

There were indeed more evil spirits in this forest.  Five years ago, corrupt  spirits had escaped from the spirit realm and had mostly gathered in this forest.  These spirits would often possess unsuspecting people.  Right now, the corrupt spirits felt a divine power coming from the staff on Yami's belt.

Then one of the spirits headed straight for Yugi, intending to possess him.  Yami quickly removed half of his Bo staff from his belt and whacked the spirit with it.  Yugi turned upon hearing something being hit.  He saw Yami holding one half of the Bo staff.  He followed Yami's line of sight to see the now visible spirit.  It literally looked like a zombie.

"What's going on?" Yugi asked.

Yami took a protective stance in front of Yugi.  Then he removed the other half of his staff an joined both halves together.  A divine light then shone from the staff.  Yugi had to shield his eyes from the brightness of the light.  A few moments later, the light dimmed out.  Yugi looked up and was now able to see some of the other spirits lurking in the forest.  Yami held his staff out in front of him and started spinning it.

A divine wind came out of the staff.  The wind pierced through the spirits, blowing them into oblivion.  Then Yami stopped spinning his staff, and the wind stopped.  Yami then separated his staff and attached the halves to his belt again.

"What were those?" Yugi asked.

"A reason why I'm glad about a gift that I have," Yami responded.

"What gift is that?" Yugi asked.

"I'm a spirit medium.  That means that I can see and sense spirits.  The spirits that haunt this forest are evil ones.  One of them tried to possess you, but I took care of it.  The staff you see on my belt is a magical staff.  It has the power to destroy evil spirits and is unbreakable.  It was given to me by the gods themselves," Yami responded.

"That's pretty amazing," Yugi said.

"We need to get moving.  There are a lot more evil spirits here, and they are active during the day.  The sooner we are out of here, the better off we'll be," Yami said before he continued walking.

Yugi was right alongside Yami.  Yami kept a secure grip on the halves of his staff in case he needed to act quickly.  Two hours later, they were out of the forest and into the village of the Sun clan.  One of the clan members saw Yami and excitedly went to get the leader.  The leader came out and warmly greeted Yami.

"It's a pleasure to have you visit us again great warrior," the leader said bowing.

"It's always good to see you and your clan," Yami said before he also bowed.

Then the leader noticed Yugi.  "And who might this young one be?  He almost looks just like you," he said.

"This is my friend Yugi," Yami said.  "Yugi, this is Chang, leader of the Sun clan."

"Pleased to meet you," Yugi said bowing.

"Any friend of the great warrior is a friend of ours," Chang said.

"Please call me Yami.  That is my name," Yami said.

"All right Yami," Chang said smiling.

Yugi was tired after having to walk three hours without a good enough break between.  He sat down in front of one of the huts.  Yami sat down next to him.  Then they watched as the clan memebers danced to their sun goddess.  The dancing lasted until the sun began to set.  then Yami and Yugi enjoyed a feast.  Then Yami went off into the forest where the evil spirits dwelled.  As he told Yugi though, the evil spirits were active only during the day.

This forest was safe to hang around during the night.  Yami always tried to go through this forest at night.  That way, he didn't have to worry about fighting off the supernatural.  This forest sometimes served as a meditation spot for him.  He then sat down cross-legged before closing his eyes and beginning to meditate.  Meanwhile, Yugi had just noticed Yami gone.

'I wonder where Yami went,' Yugi thought.  He then went off into the forest.

Yami felt Yugi coming into the forest.  "I'm not that far ahead Yugi," he said, knowing that Yugi was looking for him.

Yugi followed the voice's direction and soon found Yami sitting Indian-style on the ground; Yami was now looking at him.  "What are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm meditating.  It helps me to clear my mind," Yami responded.  "You can stay if you like," he added.

"But what about the spirits that live here?  And won't I just be a distraction?" Yugi asked.

"They are only active during the day.  It's safe to be here during the night.  I know that that's unusual since spirits are typically active during the night, but the spirits of this forest don't go lurking about at night.  And no, you won't be a distraction," Yami responded before going back into meditation.

Yugi sat with his back to a tree.  The tree was not that far ahead of Yami.  An hour later, Yugi had fallen asleep.  Yami had finished meditating.  He opened his eyes and saw Yugi alseep with his back against a tree.  Yami smiled before walking over to Yugi and gently picking him up.  Then Yami carried Yugi back to the village.

"You can sleep in my hut if you like," Chang said quietly.

"Are you sure that it won't be any trouble?" Yami quietly asked.

"It's no trouble at all.  I have the room," Chang responded.

"All right," Yami said smiling.  He then carried Yugi into the hut.  He then placed Yugi down to help Chang set up a few futons.  He then put Yugi down on one before removing his staff and sword.  He then lay on another futon.  "Pleasant dreams Little One," Yami whispered in Yugi's ear before going into a light doze.

But this night was not going to be entirely peaceful.  Halfway through the night, an intruder had come into the village.  This intruder was from a rival clan.  The intruder immediately went into the Sun leader's hut.  He immediately spotted the sleeping clan leader.  But he also noticed a young boy in the hut as well.  The intruder went over to Yugi, but was knocked back before he knew it.

The only source of light in the hut was the moonbeam tht shone through the window.  That's how the intruder saw Yugi and the clan leader.  Yami had sensed the intruder coming and immediately took to the shadows of the hut before the intruder came into the hut.  The intruder looked around to find whoever hit him, but Yami was completely concealed in the shadows.

'Now to quickly take care of this unwanted guest,' Yami said.

The intruder then took a spear out an was about to stab Yugi with it.  From out of nowhere, a sword sliced the spear in half.  The pointed half of the spear fell harmlessly to the ground a good distance away from Yugi.  Before the intruder could do anything else, he felt something smash him against the head.  The intruder fell unconscious.  Yami found some rope nearby and tied the intruder up with it.  Afterwards, he sheathed his sword before laying it next to his futon.  Then he settled down and went back to sleep.

The rest of the night was peaceful.  Yami was the first one up the next morning.  He looked at the tied up intruder and saw that the intruder was still out cold.  About an hour later, Yugi and the clan leader awakened.  They soon saw the tied up and still unconscious person.

"Who's that?" Yugi asked.

"He's from the Fire clan.  The Fire clan has always given us trouble," Chang responded.  "Yami has helped us deal with them a few times."

"He snuck in here last night and tried to kill Yugi.  It's a good thing that I'm a light sleeper," Yami said.  "We need to move on.  I don't want Yugi and me to be the cause of unwanted trouble," he added.

"At least have something to eat before you go," Chang suggested.

"I am pretty hungry," Yugi said.

"All right, we'll eat before we leave," Yami said.

Early in the afternoon, Yugi and Yami were on their way again.  The Sun clan had given them some food and supplies to take with them.

"Those are pretty nice people," Yugi said, walking with a Bo staff that the clan leader gave to him.

Unlike Yami's Bo staff, the staff that Yugi carried was just an ordinary wooden stick.  It also couldn't separate like Yami's could.

"Yes they are.  I visit them whenever I can.  But it mostly turns into anything but a friendly visit because rival clans always cause them unwanted trouble," Yami said.

"I wish I could defend myself.  That way, you wouldn't ahve to all the time," Yugi then said.

"I could teach you if you'd like.  It will become easy once you've learned the basics," Yami said.

"I would like that," Yugi said smiling.

"Do you want to learn how to use a weapon as well?" Yami asked.

"As long as it isn't anything sharp," Yugi responded.

Yami chuckled a little.  "Very well.  I'll show you how to use your Bo staff," he said.  "Using a Bo staff is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it."

Then Yami and Yugi continued on in silence.  A few hours later, they stopped in a woodland area.  This spot was clear of trees and vegetation, the perfect spot for a little fire without having to worry about it catching onto something.  Yami then started a small campfire.

At sunset, they ate some of the food that the Sun clan gave to them.  A few hours later, they prepared to sleep.  Yami put the fire out before taking out two long quilts from the bag of supplies.  Yugi then helped him lay them flat on the ground.  The quilts were long enough to pose as sleeping bags.

"So, when will I start training?" Yugi asked.

"You'll start in the morning.  For now, let's get some sleep.  You're going to need to be fully rested," Yami responded before lying down on the left quilt.  He then covered himself with it.

Yugi then lay down on the right quilt and covered himself with it.  Then he and Yami fell asleep.  This would be a peaceful night in the woods.  For tomorrow would be the first day of Yugi's training.




Well, here's the end of chapter two.  Now you know more about Yami and why the forest was so dangerous to be in during the daytime.  Preview for Chapter 3: The Unwanted Meeting:  Yami begins to train Yugi in self defense.  But they'll have to deal with unwanted trouble from three sources.  But the third unwanted source of trouble is the worst.  What is it?  You'll have to stay tuned for the answer.