Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Mistletoe ❯ ...How much you mean to me... ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything from Yu-Gi-Oh…but does a Duel Monsters deck that I own count? ^_~

Sharem: Anyway, this story was inspired by "To Make the Season Bright" by Tsukino no Kodomo…it's one of the best Christmas stories that I have read…maybe that's why it's on my favorite stories list at Fanfiction.Net…^_^

Under the Mistletoe

Chapter Four - …How much you mean to me…

Sunday, December 18 - Day 7 and counting down…

Yugi was laying in front of the television on his stomach, watching a romantic little movie play on the VCR. After getting those gifts from 'Christmas Angel', he had been feeling a little more romantic than usual. He just couldn't help it…Anyway, he sighed softly and smiled as he watched the movie, 'While You Were Sleeping.' It was one of his favorite movies and he just loved the romance in it.

It was now midday on Sunday and the young duelist had decided to spend the day in front of the television to relax. He was still a little upset at Yami over his reaction to the gifts from his secret admirer yesterday. So, he had ignored the ancient spirit during breakfast. Of course, the Pharaoh did try to apologize to his hikari for actions. But when Yugi gave no response, the spirit decided to open the game shop and give his light his space for the day. He believed that the teen needed some time to think.

The movie was finally over and Yugi smiled softly as he got up and hit the rewind button on the VCR. He loved that movie very much and giggled slightly as he ejected the tape. He scanned it for a moment and sighed as he realized that he was going to have to buy a new copy. At least his current copy of 'While You Were Sleeping' lasted longer than the previous ones. Suddenly, the duelist's eyes sparkled for a moment as he ran to the phone and began dialing a number. He got an idea about what to do and wanted a friend to go with him.

"Hello?" a voice answered the phone sleepily. "No calling…it's early…"

"Joey! It's not early…it's almost 12:30," Yugi chirped into the phone, grinning as he heard his friend's mumble. "Anyway, do you have any plans today? I sort of want to do something."

The sound of Joey scrambling out of bed and falling to the floor made the tri-color haired teen laugh. "Hey, you try to get outta bed with yer blankets tied around yer…SERENITY!! YER IN TROUBLE NOW!!" Joey screamed, the sound making Yugi wince. "I don't have plans today…so yeah, I'll go do something."

"That's great, Joey," the duelist grinned into the phone. "I'll pick you up in about ten minutes."

"Cool then," Joey replied as the sound of a door creaking open could be heard over the line. "Serenity hightailed it outta hear already so I can't get back at her for her prank…so I should be ready by the time you get here."

"I'll see you in a few, Joey," Yugi remarked and then hung up the phone. He looked down at his current outfit and grimaced. He should change into something warmer and less 'bum'-like. Baggy grey sweatpants that were three sizes too big for the diminutive teen and a black t-shirt with holes in it everywhere were only good to be worn when one was just lounging around the house. He ran up to his room and took off his clothes, including his boxers. He began rummaging through his now clean clothes to find something to wear when he heard someone clear their throat.

"Nice view, Yugi," a voice laughed girlishly. Yugi squeaked loudly and ran to his bed, pulled off the blanket and wrapped it around his naked torso.

"Mai!" he complained loudly and tried to glare at the blonde duelist. This only caused the woman to laugh even harder. She finally stopped as she grinned at the teen.

"No wonder that 'Christmas Angel' is falling all over you with those gifts," Mai remarked, smirking as Yugi's whole body turned red from embarrassment. "Maybe he saw you naked once before and he saw your incredibly long member…"

"MAI!" Yugi managed to yell out, his face beet red as was the rest of his body. He threw a pillow at her and she laughed as she walked out of the room and closed the door behind her.

'I should remember to close my door at all times,' the tri-color haired teen thought glumly to himself as he pulled out a pair of black leather pants and put them on quickly, completely forgetting to put on a new pair of boxers. He then pulled a white button-up shirt with long sleeves and no collar and a black leather jacket with leather straps and silver buckles all over it. To complete the outfit, he put on a pair of black boots decorated with silver buckles. Once again, he put the silver pendant from his secret admirer on as well.

Once he was finished, Yugi ran back down the stairs to see Mai waiting for him near the door. She went over to him and handed him a small box with red Christmas wrapping and gold ribbons. "If you see Joey today, please give this to him…just tell him that some person wearing a hood and cloak said to give it to him," she replied, her eyes sparkling. "I'm going to give him presents like the way C.A. is doing for you."

The shorter teen smiled widely at the blonde female and took the gift from her. "Sure thing, Mai. Just don't sneak up on people again like that," he commented innocently.

Mai chuckled as she opened the door as she was getting ready to leave. "And you remember to close your door next time you are going to strip down to your birthday suit. Unless you really want to give guys a show of your nice little body."

"MAI!" Yugi exclaimed indignantly but still had an embarrassed smile on his face as she laughed and left the house.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It has been a little over two hours since Yugi and Joey arrived at the local mall. Yugi had told Joey that he wanted to look for a new copy of his favorite romance movie and the blonde boy groaned as he entered Yugi's rusted vehicle. They both thought that the mall would be an easy place to find 'While You Were Sleeping' but they were both wrong. Every shop that sold videos told the two teens that the movie was sold out and probably won't get a new shipment in until after the holidays.

So, with that disappointment in mind, they wandered around the mall and tried to find presents for their friends. Joey was standing in front of a store window that had the latest video games on sale when Yugi decided to disappear for a moment. He thought that this would be the perfect time to give his blonde friend the gift from Mai. He waited for a few moments and then walked over to his friend, putting a confused look on his face.

"Um, Joey? This person, a girl I think, in a cloak and hood asked me to give this to you," the shorter teen replied as he handed the small box to Joey. "She said that she really wanted you to have it, I think."

Joey looked at Yugi for a moment as he took the gift and tore off the wrapping and tossed it aside. He slowly opened the box and his brown eyes went wide. "Wow…It's a golden pendant with my initials on it," he exclaimed as he quickly put it on. "I love it!"

The tri-color haired duelist grinned and nodded. "It looks good," he commented as he unconsciously fingered his own pendant. He was glad that something cheered the blonde up…the practical joke that Serenity played on him put him in an uncharacteristically serious mood.

Yugi was brought out of his reverie when Joey started speaking to him again. "Yugi, that's a kick-ass pendant yer wearing," the taller boy stated, his honey brown eyes glinting with amusement. "It looks good on ya too. Silver suits you."

The young duelist blushed slightly and smiled at the blonde. "Thanks, Joey…Gold suits you as well."

"It's not like the mutt can afford expensive things," a rich, sarcastic voice called out. "It may suit you, Wheeler, but you surely do not deserve anything like that."

Joey clenched his fists and turned to face Seto Kaiba. "It was a GIFT, moneybags," he retorted. "I think that's something you never get either. Who'd want to give something nice to a cold-hearted prick like you?"

Before the tall CEO could say something back, Yugi stepped between the two teens. "Hey, this is the holidays…time to be kind to your fellow man."

Seto laughed harshly and smirked at Joey. "That's just it, Mutou…Wheeler is a mutt and I don't have to be kind to him since he isn't a 'fellow man'."

"I'm going to hurt you for that," the blonde teen seethed angrily. Just as he cocked a fist back, Yugi grabbed his arm and gave Joey a pleading gaze.

"Please, no fighting, okay?" the short teen begged his friend and then cast a slightly angry gaze at the brown haired CEO. "Kaiba, leave Joey alone…at least for today, okay?"

The brunette sighed softly and shrugged. "I can't promise anything," he remarked as he reached into a trenchcoat pocket and pulled out a gift and handed it to Yugi. "I was going to give this to you at the game shop, but since I saw you here, I decided to give it to you now."

Yugi looked down at the expensively wrapped present in his hand and then stared up into Seto's intense cobalt eyes. "Wh…why are you giving this to me, Kaiba?" he asked with a tremor in his voice.

The tall CEO sighed for a moment and shrugged. "It could be that I've actually gotten into the Christmas spirit," he reasoned as he raised an eyebrow at the diminutive teen.

Joey snorted and rolled his eyes. "You have the Christmas spirit? If that's true, then I AM a mutt."

"Have you had your shots yet? They put mutts down for less…" Seto smirked as he saw the blonde's indignant look and started to walk away. He turned around for a moment, locking his cobalt eyes with Yugi's amethyst ones. "I hope you like it, Mutou…" The CEO then walked away and disappeared amongst the crowd of holiday shoppers.

"How…how dare he…" Joey growled, his honey brown eyes narrowing at Seto's retreating form. "Why can't the bastard ever be nice for a change?"

Yugi shrugged and looked at the gift in his hands and then at his blonde friend. "I don't know…but I think he is at least trying," he remarked. "Anyway, I'm hungry…you up for some pizza?"

The mention of pizza made the blonde boy brighten up considerably. "Hell yeah!" he yelled, causing some passersby to stare at him. "I'm ALWAYS in the mood for pizza!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yugi just dropped Joey back at his home and drove off. He smiled softly as he thought of the looks of horror on the faces of the waitresses as his friend practically inhaled the pepperoni pizza they ordered. He thought of the blissful look on Joey's face and smiled again as he thought of the presents Mai was going to give the boy. He hoped that they would get together afterwards.

Just as he was pulling up to his house, Yugi noticed a man in an expensive suit getting out of a nice-looking vehicle and a security guard getting out as well. Confusion written all over his face, the young duelist parked his rust-bucket and warily walked over to the two men.

"May I help you?" the tri-color haired teen asked cautiously, eyeing the guard's pistol hanging on his hip.

The man in the suit turned around and smiled slightly at Yugi. "Are you Yugi Mutou?" the man asked. When the teen nodded, the man held out a clipboard for him to sign. "I have a delivery for you. I just need you to sign here to let my supervisor know that you received the package personally."

Yugi signed the paper and the man in the suit handed him a small bag. The guard nodded at the man and both of them got into their vehicle and left. Shrugging his slender shoulders, the young teen entered his home and put his jacket up on a nearby coat rack. He walked over to the door that led to the game shop and opened it to see Yami helping a young boy with his card choices.

"Hey Yami," the shorter teen chirped as he took up a position in front of the register and put the bag from the nicely dressed man and Seto's gift on the counter. "I'm back from the mall and Joey and I had a good time despite the fact that Seto showed up and insulted Joey."

The ancient spirit chuckled softly as he came up to the counter with the boy and his purchases. "That is good to hear, aibou," he remarked as Yugi began ringing up the items. He watched his light for a moment and then spied the two gifts on the counter. "I see you got two gifts…"

The duelist wrinkled his nose for a moment as he bagged up the boy's purchases and took the payment. When the boy left, Yugi turned to look at his darker half. "Please, don't start this again," he implored the spirit, his amethyst eyes were shining.

Yami sighed and smiled gently at his hikari. "I'm sorry, aibou…you know that I worry about you…please forgive me," he replied softly and smiled more as Yugi nodded, forgiving the ancient spirit. "Let's see what this 'Christmas Angel' gave you this time. I see he gave you two presents…"

Yugi chuckled nervously and ran a hand through his tri-colored hair. "Actually, the really expensively wrapped present is from Seto Kaiba," he explained as he watched Yami's crimson eyes narrow slightly. "And don't say a word…at least he was trying to be friendly."

The Pharaoh nodded slightly and sighed softly. "I realize that, Yugi. It's just that I don't know of Kaiba's intentions towards you."

The teen duelist shrugged as he opened the present from the CEO. He raised his eyebrows and his mouth opened as he pulled out a crystal clear figurine about five inches in height. It was an exquisitely made figurine of the Dark Magician just about to call out his magical attack. The lights of the shop glinted off of the pure crystal, sending little rainbows all over the room.

"Wow…" Yugi whispered as he eyed the figurine in awe. This was a beautiful gift and he couldn't believe that Seto Kaiba of all people would give him a gift like that. He looked at the box it came in and saw that the figurine was from Swarovsky. "It's…it's…"

"It's beautiful, aibou," Yami spoke softly as he gingerly touched the figurine. "It seems that Kaiba may like you more than as a friend…"

The young duelist made a face at that and put the crystal aside. "I don't think so, Yami," he pouted as he looked at the bag that was still sitting on the counter. "I suppose that I should see if that is a present from my secret admirer."

The ancient Pharaoh only nodded as he took the bag and handed it over to his lighter half. Yugi opened it up and pulled out box wrapped in silver foil and an envelope with his name written in that elegant calligraphy that he came to love. He was torn between either reading the note first or opening the gift first. He glanced at his darker half and the spirit motioned to the box.

The teen nodded as he tenderly took the silver wrapping off from the box and saw the name of the store on it. His eyes widened as he now realized why there was a guard with the finely suited man. It wasn't everyday that the most expensive jewelry store in Domino personally deliver their merchandise to customers. With trembling hands, he tenderly lifted the lid from the box and gasped as he pulled out the latest gift.

It was a choker [1]…and not just any choker. It was made of the finest Italian black leather and had pure silver studs decorating it. There were finely hewn amethysts intertwined around the silver studs, creating a diamond pattern along the leather band. There were also crystal clear diamonds delicately embedded in the leather as well, making the choker sparkle brightly. Inside the choker, however, made the teen's eyes become bright. It was a message burned into the leather written in hieroglyphics. It said, 'May we be together in this life and the next.'

"I suggest that you read the note now, aibou," the tri-color haired spirit remarked quietly as he saw the trembling hands of his light. Yugi just nodded as gingerly put the choker on the counter and picked up the envelope. He tore it open and pulled out a piece of parchment that was written with lovely handwriting. He began reading it eagerly, his amethyst eyes taking in every word.

'Dear Yugi.

I saw you yesterday as you left Royston's. I was elated to see you wearing the sweater I had chosen and personalized just for you. The lovely purple color really brought out the color of your gorgeous eyes. If the last thing I could ever see in this lifetime is your smile and that sparkle in your eyes, I would die a happy man. Knowing that I have touched your life in some way that made you happy makes me happy.

Let me tell you a little about this latest gift to you. The leather was chosen because I see you wear leather and it suits you very well as does the color. The message inside of the choker was written in the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics because I know of your interest in that ancient time. Also, it is what I hope for us someday.

Secondly, the silver stud I had specified represents the purity of your heart and soul. You are so pure that sometimes I'm almost afraid to be in your light. I do not want to taint your purity…but I have this need to be with you, this need to love you with all of my being.

Third, the amethysts [2] represent your calm nature and your inner strength. Those are qualities that I admire and love about you. They also are representative of your eyes which are the windows to your pure soul. I would love to gaze into your eyes and see the strength that carries you through good times and bad.

Lastly, I come to the meaning of the diamonds [3]. They represent your innocence and your unshakable faith. You are so innocent that I almost could not believe it when I had first met you. Yes, I know you personally as well and you do know me. That is my clue for this gift and note. Also, the part of your unshakable faith…that much about you is so true, especially when you dueled for the soul of your grandfather in Duelist Kingdom. The faith that you showed in the Heart of the Cards was truly moving. No, I was not there but I read about it after I met you.

You are…simply put, an amazing individual who can make anyone love you. I know that I do, Yugi. I have never truly felt this way about anyone. I almost wish that I can show myself to you now, but I don't think that it is a good idea. I want to watch your eyes grow wide with each gift. Until the next gift, I bid thee farewell, my love. We are six more gifts away until we meet under the mistletoe.

Love with all my soul,

Christmas Angel'

Yugi sighed dreamily as he handed the parchment over to Yami to read. Each note that he reads from this wonderful person made the teen feel giddy. Even though he hasn't even met this 'Christmas Angel', he felt like he was falling for this unknown person. He knew that he shouldn't even begin to think that way, but the duelist somehow felt that C.A. knew just about everything about him.

"Yugi…aibou…are you alright?" the ancient Pharaoh asked, waving his hand in front of Yugi's eyes. The teen blinked for a moment and grinned sheepishly at Yami.

"Sorry, Yami. I was just lost in my thoughts," the shorter male replied, his eyes sparkling. "So, what did you think of that note?"

Yami smiled gently at his hikari and ruffled the boy's bangs for a moment. "From what I can tell, this person seems to care for you a great deal, aibou. You are…lucky to have someone do this for you."

Yugi smiled warmly at his darker half and gave him a hug. "Thank you," he whispered. "I don't want you to be mad at me or whoever this person is. I love you, Yami, like a brother and you are one of my best friends." He then picked up the gift from Kaiba and the choker from C.A. and walked through the door that led back into the house.

Yami sighed softly as he turned his gaze to a couple of people who just entered the game shop. He knew that was how Yugi felt about him, but he was hoping that it was not the case. 'I suppose that I should be happy for my aibou…I will try to do that for him,' the spirit thought to himself as he suddenly felt like someone had been watching him and Yugi. He turned to see a dark figure outside walk away from the window. His eyes narrowed as he watched the retreating figure.

'I think that was 'Christmas Angel' watching us. I think…I think I know who he is…'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sharem: Wow…this story is about 3500 words long…O.O! Is it me or does it seem like my chapters are getting long with each new chapter? Heh heh…^_^! Anyway, I'm sorry that this chapter took so long to be updated but I had been so busy with working full-time at a wildlife animal shelter and home.

Also, I just wanted to thank all of the people who reviewed and emailed me with ideas for gifts that Yugi would get from 'Christmas Angel.' Thank you! I have chosen the ones that I will use and will thank each person individually here…^_^

[1] - The choker was an idea from Red Dragon of Egypt. I just put my little twist on it and I hope that you liked it…^_^ Thanks!

[2] & [3] - The meanings of the amethysts and diamonds came from this website, Tickie's Web Page Themes. Here is the URL to the specific page I used… http://home.cogeco.ca/~tickiesthemes/gems.htm

Teaser for Chapter 5:

Yugi groaned as he had to pull over to the side of the road. He got out of the car and examined the tire and grimaced as he realized that he forgot to get a spare tire. Just as he was about to pull out his cell phone, someone on a motorcycle came by and stopped. The rider stared at the teen for a moment before pulling off his helmet.

"Malik…" Yugi breathed out slowly…