Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Virus ❯ Chapter 25

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*************************************************************************** ***************

Virus - Part 25

Mokuba and Tea worked frantically. Seto's AI unit was instrumental in providing them with fake stock certificates and a fake cashier's check for $1.6 billion. Tea was too shocked to speak when Mokuba had told her how much cash money the Kaiba's had. She knew the brothers were rich, but this was really rich. This was buy-anything-at-any-time-rich, and don't-worry-about-how-much-it-costs-because-the-interest-alone-will-pay-for -it-rich. In other words, the brothers Kaiba were rich.

It took them more than two hours to finish the fakes. Mokuba was insistent that each certificate and the check be as perfect as possible. Pegasus was an intelligent man; he had grown up amongst the wealthy and knew what real negotiable paper looked and felt like. They had to pass muster the first time. They wouldn't get a second chance to fool him.

Ryou and Bakura kept popping in asking if everything was ready. Bakura was getting twitchy. Connected to the Shadow Realm, he could feel the passage of time. They couldn't waste a moment.

Joey and Tristan had returned successfully from their mission. The high credit card limit wasn't needed; they bought five pieces of a new Exodia set - it had cost almost $1,000. They gave the cards to Bakura. The yami examined them closely and declared them suitable. He cautioned them that because this was not Yugi's original Exodia, the monster would have to be introduced to the little hikari and would have to accept Yugi as its master. If it did not accept him, it would not fight for him in the Shadow Realm.

Ryou looked a little worried at his yami's words. Tristan quickly reassured him by hugging him and saying, "Hey, this is Yugi we're talking about. He's got a way with duel monsters. You'll see." Ryou nodded and took comfort in the words. Bakura glared hatred at the boy with the single-spiked hairdo. No one was allowed to offer comfort to his hikari except him. Tristan backed away at the glare, aware that he had just made the slightly unhinged yami's 'Things To Kill' list. He knew Bakura had such a list. Really. Ryou had shown it to him once.

Finally, Mokuba and Tea were satisfied with their forgeries. No one except the Securities Commission and the bank the check was supposedly drawn from would know that the stocks and cashiers check were fakes. Mokuba figured that Seto would contact the authorities once they were all back from the Shadow Realm. Yami would be easily able to rescue Yugi from Pegasus here, and there would be no threat from any evil shadow beast.

The forgeries were sealed, waterproofed (at Ryou's smiling insistence), and given to Bakura. Quickly placing Mokuba under the protection of the Millennium Ring, Bakura and Mokuba disappeared.

***************************************************** *************************************

They had been on the run for nearly three hours, and Seto was getting tired. He was sore from the beating by Pegasus' guards; he was sore from Yugi's little nutcracker move. He loved holding Yugi, but his arms needed a rest. They had eluded roving gangs of Keep guards, but it seemed as if they would evade one only to run into another. They had to stop.

Seto spied a large clump of bushes and headed that way. He wormed his way into the middle of the thatch, careful not to leave a trail. He placed Yugi on the ground and knelt beside him. Seto gently removed one of the socks. Yugi's gasp of pain made him stop with the sock midway off the foot. He could see the cause of the little one's distress. The blood had dried and was now caked on. If he pulled the sock off, it would reopen the wounds. He put the sock back. He would wait until they could find some water to loosen the blood.

"I could really use my dueling deck. What I wouldn't give for one of my Blue Eyes right about now." Pegasus had relieved him of his deck soon after they were captured.

"I wish my Mystical Elf were here. Shala could fix my feet. You wouldn't have to carry me anymore and we could run faster." Yugi couldn't stop the tears that trickled down his now grubby face.

Seto tenderly wiped away the droplets and gave Yugi a smile. "We're not beaten yet. I promise you Yugi. I won't give up without a fight." Seto tried to get more comfortable in the cramped space beneath the bushes. His tall form found it difficult, although Yugi's small frame fit well.

Seto considered leaving Yugi beneath the shrub and making a run for it. If he made enough noise, the guards would follow him, leaving Yugi safe and sound. He considered it, but disregarded the idea immediately. No telling what would happen to Yugi all alone out here. He loved the kid, but he seemed to attract trouble.

"We'll rest here for a few minutes. Skull Servants aren't very bright, but they are thorough. They'll find us if we stay in one place too long. And I don't like the thought of spending the night out here. We'll try for Yami's castle."

Yugi nodded his agreement. He cuddled next to Seto, seeking the older boy's warmth and reassurance. He felt badly that he was such a burden on Seto. If he weren't around, Seto would be safe from Pegasus and the Other that Seto told him about. Yugi shivered at the memory. That thing was going to hurt him terribly and then kill him. Yugi was very afraid. He wished Yami were with him. He liked Seto very much, and he was a really good kisser, but Yami was the one who made him feel safe and protected and loved.

Loved? Did he love Yami?

************************************************************ ******************************

It was here. Here in the forest. Was it time? No. The sun was still in the sky. It would not be time for the ritual until moonrise. Why was it here? Curious, the Other made its way towards the light. Perhaps it would not have to wait after all.

************************************************************* *****************************

Yami stood ready with the Change of Heart card. As soon as the Dark Magician awoke, he would play the card. When combined with the Mystical Elf's spell, he hoped that it would transform the Magician back into his faithful self.

Siji prayed to every divine being he had ever heard of. He was never frightened in battle; he was almost always defeated anyway. Now, though, he was afraid. Questions ran through is troubled mind. What if Magician was resistant to the Change of Heart? What if Shala's spell, which he learned came from the Book of Secret Arts, didn't help with the change? He knew the answer. Eventually, Yami would destroy the Dark Magician. Pharaoh may wait until after Yugi was rescued, but the deed would have to be done. //Oh please, please love. Please come back to me.//

Shala's chant ended. The Dark Magician opened his eyes and Yami instantly called on the power of the Change of Heart. A purple glow enveloped the Magician's body, then dissipated. Everyone held their breath, waiting to see how Magician would react.

Slowly, the Dark Magician rose and stood before Yami. He stared down at the Pharaoh, his face impassive. The two powerful beings stared at one another for timeless moments. The Dark Magician moved first. In an elegant, flowing motion, he kneeled before his Pharaoh and placed his magical staff in his hands. Palms up, he offered the staff to Yami, bowed his head, and said, "Please master. Destroy me for I cannot live with what I have done to our beloved little Yugi. I was trying to protect him, but instead I caused his death."

Yami was bewildered by the Magician's statement, then remembered Yugi and Kaiba's stories of Yugi's time in the tower. Magician still believed that Yugi was dead! Yami accepted the staff of power and placed a hand on his servant's shoulder.

"Rise old friend and let go your fears. Yugi is not dead."

Dark Magician raised his head and searched Yami's eyes. Seeing the truth in the crimson depths, Magician stood and wrapped his Pharaoh is a powerful embrace. Smiling and laughing, and with free-flowing tears, the other duel monsters in the room joined in the group hug. When everyone had calmed to an extent, Yami sat on the bed on the Magician's left; Siji took his place at the Magician's right.

Yami explained the situation to everyone. More tears fell as the monsters feared once again for the safety of their beloved Little Master.

"We have some time before we must leave to meet Bakura and Mokuba. If you can, Magician, please tell us what happened between you and Yugi."

The Dark Magician took a deep breath and began his tale.

"When you entered the Citadel, the others went to confront you in the courtyard and I took Yugi into the tower. I disabled the warp allowing us directly into your chambers, but I left the traps on the stairway intact. When we were in the room, I chanted the barrier spell to ensure that Yugi couldn't run away and no one could take him through the door.

"As I was completing the spell, Yugi ran to the doorway. He tripped on his robes and fell headfirst into the closed door. He was on his stomach, and he didn't try to get up, or move, or anything." Magician gripped his lover's hand and continued, "My heart died.

"He was so still. I've watched Yugi for a long time, and I know he is rarely still. I turned him onto his back. There was a large wound on the side of his head. I tried to wake him, but soon I noticed he wasn't breathing and had no heartbeat. I picked him up and placed him on the bed. He looked so very peaceful, like an angel. I couldn't think of anything to do except destroy you, master, for putting Yugi in such a position.

"I know, I know. It wasn't your fault; it was just an accident. But the…virus? The virus had so altered my mind I could only seek vengeance for a perceived wrong. I left him in the tower and came to the courtyard for the duel. You know the rest."

When his harrowing tale was finished, there were more tears followed by hasty assurances that yes, he was completely forgiven, and yes Yugi truly was alive.

Yami stood and faced his monster servants, his friends. "Its time. Let's go get Yugi."

*********************************************************** *******************************

We're closing in on it now, boys and girls. A few more chapters, then sequel time! I have a list of questions that need to be answered in the sequel (least of all is what about Prax who started this whole thing?). If there is anything you are wondering and would like cleared up, let me know and I will either let you know at the next posting, or I will put the answer in the sequel.

Review, please! Thanks all.