Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ We'll Be There ❯ Part IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: Hmm…it's taking me more than three months to update this chapter…how terrible.

Thanks go to everyone who reviewed last chapter, especially to ZZinc from MM.org, who really gave me a real wake-up call--I have been neglecting not just this fic, but a lot of my longer multi-chaptered fics. I'm going to put in the extra effort to try to update at least once a month from now on until the story ends.

I originally intended this piece to be a one-shot…but now it just might turn into a full-blown multi-chaptered story. Cause if I don't do that, it will turn out to be a really crappy fic. I also originally wanted to make this more Ryou-centric, but now it could turn out to have more Bakura stuff in it.

BobGod: You know, I actually had a reason for Bakura's excessive sniveling, but I can't even remember it now. Though I think I have an idea to explain it. Though I think you're right, I should go and revise chapter 2 a bit and keep him more in character.

Dark Magician Girl / Hikaru: Thank you very much for your support. It means so much to me; you have no idea.

Crimson_Eyed_Angel99: That's a good idea--to tie in Yugi and Co., and see how Bakura and Ryou would react in their presence. Thanks!

ryou's kitty: I'm glad you think the story is cool. I know I made Bakura in particular WAY out of character, and I'm hoping to fix that…

ZZinc: I originally was not planning that this story involves Bakura's past at all. But your review gave me that idea to tie it into my storyline, which is really the bit of info that I needed to continue. I cannot thank you enough for your advice. And in your next review, if you could recommend me what you think are some of the best stories concerning Bakura's past, so I could maybe check them out, that would be great. I really don't read enough fiction centering around Bakura or Ryou. The only one I've read regarding Bakura's past was by my friend, xox PunKin oxo (from FF.net). If you haven't read that one, you ought to read it; it's awesome. And like I said earlier, your review was really a wake-up call for me to update. Thanks again.

Warnings: cussing, some OOCness

--------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------

We'll Be There

-

Part IV

-

I need to get to school! Ryou realized suddenly, tearing himself from Bakura's arms.

"I have to go, Bakura," he told him. "We'll talk later, right?"

His yami nodded slowly.

Ryou rushed out the door, swinging his backpack over his shoulder. He just barely caught the bus, and the bus driver yelled at him for being late. Ryou simply stuck up his middle finger in response.

Why am I doing this? he wondered. It's like I can't control my actions anymore…

The bus arrived at Domino High School within minutes, and Ryou was the first to disembark the bus. He immediately made his way towards his locker, only to be greeted by the last people he wanted to see.

"Hello, Ryou!" Yugi cried enthusiastically. "How are you today?"

How the hell does he always have this happy high? Is he on Speed or something? Ryou wondered. Wow…where did those thoughts come from?

"I'm fine, Yugi. And you?" Again: fucked-up, insecure, neurotic, and emotional.

"I'm very well, actually!" Yugi replied cheerfully. "It's another wonderful day!"

Another wonderfully fucked-up day!

"Hey, are you all right, Ryou?" he asked worriedly. "You seem a bit pale. And tired."

"I'm fine, Yugi," he repeated.

"Heya, Yuge!"

Oh, great. Dumb Blonde #2.

"Oh, hi, Ryou," Jonouchi added hastily. "How's it going, you guys?"

"Great!" Yugi exclaimed. "Hey, Ryou, you wanna hang out with us at lunch? I mean, I feel terrible; you always sit by yourself!"

"No, that's quite all right, Yugi."

"Aw, c'mon," Jou insisted. "It's gotta be lonely where you sit."

"Yeah," Yugi agreed.

"Look, I clearly don't want to hang out with you or your idiot friends!" I shouted. "Why can't you freaks just leave me alone?!"

Jonouchi stared at me with wide eyes, while Yugi turned away; I could see tears forming in his eyes, threatening to spill any moment.

"Hey, look, Ryou--we were just being nice when we asked you to sit with us. You don't need to be such an asshole about it!" Jonouchi roared.

"I've had enough," I declared, walking away from Jonouchi's shaking fist and Yugi's quivering form.

"Finally got the guts to tell them off?" a cold voice behind me sneered.

I whirled around. It was none other than Kaiba Seto, CEO of a multi-billion dollar international company.

"I've had the guts all along," I retorted. "I just never had the heart--or lack thereof."

Kaiba strode towards me, so that he was positioned at my side. We began our walk down the hallway towards our first period class. "They're quite a group," he commented.

"You mean Idiots Incorporated?" I asked disbelievingly. "They're just a bunch of phony bastards on Speed."

Kaiba chuckled. "Yugi may act like he's on a constant high, but I think he just has an unnaturally high level of endorphins [1]." Ryou glared darkly. "Besides," Kaiba continued, "happiness, especially in Yugi's case, is infectious. He makes everyone around him feel happier."

"He doesn't make me feel any happier," Ryou pointed out. "Or you. He just pisses me off to no conceivable end."

"Maybe," Kaiba responded. "Or maybe you just don't want to be happy."

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Likewise."

Ryou sighed. What the hell is he getting at?

"Anyway," Kaiba remarked, "my weekly dosage of social contact is over. I can't ruin my reputation of antisocialism. You should talk to Yami; I think he might be able to help you out."

"I don't need help," Ryou spat. "Is 'antisocialism' even a word?"

He received no response. Kaiba had disappeared.

----------

[1] endorphin: a hormone that induces euphoria.

--------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes: Wow!! I actually finished another part! I'm on a roll! I wrote this almost non-stop!

Thank you SOOO much for your reviews! I am soo grateful! I couldn't have done this without you guys!

Please still Review and tell me what you thought of this chapter!!