Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Where'd You Go ❯ Where'd You Go ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh!, nor do I own Where'd You Go by Fort Minor.

Where'd You Go

by Iyasu

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Where'd you go?

I miss you so

Seems like it’s been forever that you've been gone...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Isis walked through the gardens surrounding the Kaiba mansion, listening to the soft songs of the birds that were singing. She smiled faintly as one of them, a dove, flew down around her head. She held out her hand and it landed upon it, singing happily. She remembered this dove; it was one of the doves that were released at her wedding when she married Kaiba Seto. It seemed so long ago now that they had had kids, one named Satari, now seven, and the other named Touya, now nine. Isis had thought that she knew what she was getting into when she had married Seto, but now... she wasn't so sure. As the dove flew away, she thought back to the conversation that she had had with Seto.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

She said, "Some days, I feel like shit

Some days, I wanna quit

And just be normal for a bit

I don't understand why you have to always be gone

I get along but your trips always feel so long

And, I find myself trying to stay by the phone

Because your voice always helps me when I feel so alone

But I feel like an idiot, working my day around a call

And when I pick up, I don't have much to say, so...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Isis knew very well that Seto traveled, hell, he had to, there was no choice about it. But even so, he was even more of a workaholic than he used to be. She rarely saw him anymore when he came home, because he would come late at night when she was asleep and leave before she woke up. She didn't care if they had money or status, which didn't matter to her; she just wanted to be with him, which was impossible since he was always away. Seto did call, but he never called at a specific time, so Isis didn't go out much anymore, so that she could be around when he called, if he called. It was the only thing in these current days that made her feel like she and the kids hadn't been abandoned after all. The first few times, it seemed okay to stay home and wait for the call, but the longer it continued, the worse she began to feel. Isis started to feel like a dog who heard the bell, and came anyway, regardless of whether it was meant for her or not. Not to mention that she felt stupid, because she was letting a phone call decide how she did things, if she did things, in life now. The worse part, when she picked up the phone when Seto called, she really didn't have anything to say. What was there to talk about? She didn't do anything of interest anymore. She didn't even run the museum anymore, and that was one of the main things that she liked to do to keep her busy, and it interested her greatly. Now, she read books, and tried to follow other digs online. All that was left was to talk about the kids, and they didn't do much like she did, hoping that one day, they'd be around to talk to their father.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I want you to know it's a little fucked up that

I'm stuck here waiting, at times debating

Telling you that I've had it with you and your career

Me and the rest of the family here singing...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mai popped into the house often to bring Isis news of the outside world, and bringing her twin girls, Katana and Kari, both eight, to play with Satari and Touya.

One day, in the midst of their conversation, Mai slammed her hand on the table and said seriously, "Isis, you can't do this. You're practically spending the rest of your life waiting. Waiting for what? A five-minute call? You're wasting your life! Go do something! Re-open your museum, or at least start an exhibit in one of the others! Go explore in the tombs and find something new! You remember when you used to do that? You had fun; you lived your life."

"But-" Isis began.

"Don't but me, because I know what you're going to say, you're going to say 'what about the kids?' I can take the kids if that's what you're worried about, or all of us could go. It's been forever since they've seen Uncle Malik and Rishid, hasn't it? I still remember when you used to go and supervise digs with a babe in each arm."

They talked about it more, and the more they talked, no matter how resistant Isis was to a new thought that was emerging inside of her, it began to awaken.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Where'd you go?

I miss you so

Seems like it's been forever that you've been gone

Where'd you go?

I miss you so

Seems like it's been forever that you've been gone

Please come back home...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

But, no matter how strong she seemed during the days, it was the nights where she felt alone the most. She couldn't even remember the last time she had seen Seto; it was that long ago. Sometimes she wondered if something had happened, and he was gone off the face of the earth. She missed him so much, and sometimes, she couldn't help but to cry in desperation, it was the only time that she could get away with it without worrying the kids.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You know, the place where you used to live

Used to barbeque our burgers and ribs

Used to have a little party every Halloween

With candy by the pile

But now you only stop by every once in a while

Shit, I find myself just filling my time

With anything to keep the thought of you from my mind

I'm doing fine and I plan to keep it that way

You can call me if you find that you have something to say

And I'll tell you...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Some nights, she could stop it, by thinking of the happy memories, like when they had a cookout for the kids' birthdays, since the two of them had birthdays a week apart in July, on July 7 and 14, as a matter of fact. Or another, when it was Halloween, and they had a little party, letting them dress up and play little games. But usually, her thoughts turned bitter after they were hit by reality. Now, he only stopped by every once in a while. But most of the time, Isis saved herself by trying not to think of Seto at all. She buried herself in anything and everything she could that she could do at home. She grew used to it as time went by. She stopped crumbling inside at nights. When she talked to Mai, she could tell her when asked how she was doing, "I'm doing fine, and I plan to keep it that way."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I want you to know it's a little fucked up that

I'm stuck here waiting, at times debating

Telling you that I've had it with you and your career

Me and the rest of the family here singing...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Now the thought that she was resistant to was coming more frequently in her mind. Why not just leave, you've had it with being alone all of the time. It's like the children don't even have a father anymore. Why do you stay? His career... you know you've had it past any boundary with that...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Where'd you go?

I miss you so

Seems like it’s been forever that you've been gone

Where'd you go?

I miss you so

Seems like it’s been forever that you've been gone

Please come back home...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Isis wasn't sure, she didn't want to go, but she began to think that it would be best that way, after all, she didn't need this. Satari and Touya didn't need this either. They might not understand it, but they were intelligent. She was sure that they would.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I want you to know it's a little fucked up that

I'm stuck here waiting, no longer debating

Tired of sitting and hating and making these excuses

For why you're not around, and feeling so useless

It seems that one thing has been true all along

You don't really know what you've got till it’s gone

I guess I've had it with you and your career

When you come back, I won't be here and you can sing it..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mai was right. She needed to go and live her life and not spend it hanging around the house like she did. She made preparations, and within a week, she was gone with her kids, off to do the thing that they had done too little off lately: live. She was tired of sitting around; she was tired of hating the fact that he was gone. She was tired of making excuses for the reason he was gone, and of those looks of pity that she got from her friends, especially Jounouchi, who also traveled, but stayed home a lot more than Seto did. She wasn't going to feel useless anymore, so... she left.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Where'd you go?

I miss you so

Seems like it's been forever that you've been gone

Where'd you go?

I miss you so

Seems like it's been forever that you've been gone

Please come back home...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As Seto got off the plane and into his limo to take him to his home, his cell phone rang. "Hello?"

"It's me, Mai."

"This is a surprise, why are you calling me?" Seto asked.

There was a pause, and then Mai answered softly, "I have something that you need to know. Don't go home."

"Why shouldn't I?" Seto demanded. "I'm here now, as a matter of fact."

"Because when you get there-"

Seto shook his head. "Mai, nice try. You can't fool me." He hung up his phone just before they pulled up at his home, and climbed out of the limo. He walked inside, and there was nothing but silence. He shrugged it off, thinking that maybe Isis was out with the kids. As he walked through the place, he saw a conspicuous envelope waiting for him with his name upon it. He opened it, and finding a letter inside, he pulled it out and began to read it.

Seto,

I've had it with you and your career. I'm tired of being here alone with the kids, and all of us just waiting for you to call, to visit, to do something. I'm tired of them wondering when they're going to see their father again, and I'm tired of telling them soon, even though we all know that I'm most like lying about that. Whenever you read this, I won't be here, and you can wonder where I've gone. Only there's a difference. You don't have to wait for me to call or visit, because I'm not going to. I'm not coming back. I'm not going to put our children through this anymore. You can stay with your computers all you want, you don't have to worry about us at all. Sarabada, Isis  

Seto dropped the envelope, and upon hearing a sound as the envelope hit the floor, he looked down. And there, upon the floor, was Isis's wedding and engagement rings.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Please come back home

Please come back home

Please come back home

Please come back home..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*