Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Where do the Babies come from? ❯ Bakura tells a story (little children, run for your life!) ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I got the idea about the shop from 'smalvina', I hope you don't mind that I borrowed it, but I like it.

4. Bakura tells a story (little children, run for your life!)

It was just the next day after Anzus fateful encounter with Yugis question, and the short boy was again on his way to doom his friends.
Today was no school, and even better, no one has died so far!
Not long before noon, the Hikari was nervously looking at his destination, a surprisingly normal looking white house.
Surprisingly because of one of the persons living here.

Yugi took a deep breath and made his way through the well-kept garden with his hearth beating loudly in his little chest, as if it was trying to break free.
Warily he looked left and right, as if he was expecting an attack or a trap at every moment.
And surprisingly he made his way to the door unharmed and without any problems. Yugi was still in one piece as he rang the doorbell.
But to his shook there was not the normal ring of a bell, but a very loud and piercing scream, and in his surprise Yugi took a step back and nearly tumbled down the two steps behind him.

Inside that normal looking house he could hear the shouting voices of its occupants:
"Bakura, I told you to change it back to our old bell back, didn’t I?! And open the door!"
"But I don’t want to, why can't you do that?!"
"Because it will surly not hurt you to get your lazy ass up for a moment! Diner is not going to be done sooner just because you keep watching me! And don’t send the poor soul outside to the shadow realm!"

"But Ryou! That was really not my fault!"
"You always say that…"
And with that the door was jerked open, and an annoyed Bakura just growled: "Yes?!" at him.

But then he did a double take as he couldn’t see anyone standing before him, and he was ready to close the door again as he looked down a little.
"Hello Bakura!" Yugi smiled happy up at him, pointly ignoring the tomb robbers growling and frowning. It was nothing new to be greeted that way by Bakura; it would be weird if it weren't like this. Like the thief is ill or something…

Bakura made a step back to let Yugi in and yelled in the seemingly empty house:"Hey, Hikari, the midget is here!"
"The midget has a name, so call him that, would you?!"
Ryous answer came from the kitchen, and then the white-haired Hikari appeared from there with a cooking spoon to also greet their guest:
"Hello, Yugi! No offence, he is just waiting for his foot, you know how he can be sometimes. Not a trace of manners, I swear…"
"Don’t worry; we don’t even expect anything else, ne…"

"Hey! You do know that I'm still here in the same room, right?!" Bakura scowled, and if he weren't the great tomb robber, certainly he would pout about their clear disrespect of his person!
But because the great tomb robber would never pout, he just crossed his arms before his chest and glared at them.
Both Hikaris where cheerfully smiling at him, and Ryou rubbed soothingly over his arm:
"Oooch, my poor, poor thief, don’t worry, I would never forget about you…" he cooed softly.

Yugi had to clamp a trembling hand over his mouth to stifle his laughter a bit, since it would do no good for Bakuras mood.
Or for his wounded pride, since both Hikaris where giggling at him instead of been intimidated by the great thief king….

After placing Yugi opposite of a nearly pouting Bakura on the couch, Ryou got back to his cooking in the kitchen.
Bakura starred at the smaller one, while at the same time he had a close eye on the kitchen door behind Yugi.
"Well, midget, Yami knows that you are here, right?"

Yugi crooked his head to the side and blinked cutely up at the taller thief: "Why, do you miss him?" He asked totally innocently, as if he didn’t know the answer.
"Why the hell should I miss that damn idiot?! He can roast in the deepest depths of the hell, for all I care!"
"Bakura!" Ryou warned his Dark from the kitchen, and said Yami sulked again.
(Awwww ^____^)
"Yeah, yeah, yeah… I know…"
This time Yugi couldn’t suppress his laughter, and the soft sound brought Bakuras attention from his own Hikari back to Yugi.
"I hope you at last have told Yami where you are?!"
"That’s really nice that you are so concerned about me, Bakura!"
"Nice! The hell I'm nice! But you know that baka pharaoh! He will think I have kidnapped you as soon as he hears that you are here alone! He will go and break down our house just because of that!" the white haired Yami yelled from the top of his lungs.

But then he brushed through his long hair and slowly calmed down a little, as Yugi just blinked again: "Okay, maybe I can somehow take advantage that … Well, shrimp, care to tell me why you are here? Beside of getting me in trouble with your pharaoh, of course."

"Well, you see, I have a question…"
"And you want me to answer it?"
"Yes."
Slowly a grin crept over Bakuras face; now this is interesting! It must be a very difficult question if Yugi came to him instead of his Yami…
Or maybe he had asked his Yami first, and he just couldn’t answer it?!
"Bakura!!!" Came it warningly from the kitchen.
"I haven't done anything bad yet!"
"And I want it to stay this way!"

"Damn ears dropping Hikaris…" Bakura murmured more to himself than to anyone else, but it seems that Ryou had heard it anyway:"Bakura! Behave yourself, or else…" he treated.

With a glare Bakura starred at the door hiding his busy Hikari.
"So, what do you want to know?"
"Well, I'm not really sure if you can help me, but…"
"You have to tell me to know that!" Bakuras urged curiously. He wanted to know the question the great pharaoh was obviously incapable to answer. Maybe he could blackmail that bastard, or at last tease him with that information…
And it didn’t even matter if Bakura knows the answer or if he had to make up one.
Because Yami couldn’t tell the difference anyway.

Bakura snickered evilly at those thoughts before he turned back to reality. He had to know the question before he possible could use it to blackmail Yami with it!

"Where do the Babies come from?"
Compared to all the others before him, Bakura didn’t scream.
He didn’t stutter or chough suddenly.
In fact, Bakura didn’t give any reaction for a moment.
He didn’t even blink.
He just sat there and starred unbelievingly at the smaller one.

But then, all of a sudden Bakura broke out in holing laughter.
"What!" he was able to utter, before he again began to chuckle uncontrollable.
"And that is your important question?!"
Patiently Yugi waited for the tomb robber to calm down before he nodded:
"Yes, I want to know where the babies come from!"
"That is a good question, it really is!"

After he calmed down again, Bakura patted his lap:
"And now, come over to the nice uncle, and he will tell you a good story…"
"Ähm, I highly doubt that, Bakura."
"What, don’t you trust me?" Bakura asked with his voice full of mocked hurt as he sat down beside Yugi on the couch.

(Think of Bakura as a kind very odd Santa Claus-thing. ^___^)

But suddenly the thief cowered behind the backrest of the couch, just in time to avoid getting hit by a flying pan coming through the kitchen door.
It flew just a few inches over his head and got stuck in the wall, while Bakura starred with wide eyes at the dangerous 'weapon'.

"Don’t let him trick you, because the 'nice uncle' will get what he deserves, if he starts talking nonsense!" Ryou stuck for a moment his head through the door, but got pointly ignored by his Yami.
It seems that he was used to flying tableware, so he didn’t cared much about it anymore. As long as he didn’t got hit by it, of course.

So Bakura just laid a friendly arm around Yugi shoulder, who got comfortable after he got rid of the pale hand on his shoulder.
"Okay, now, so pay attention, because now I will tell you about that great mystery! It seems that your poor pharaoh is not able to do so, so I have to do it myself…"
He even managed it to make a face as if he wouldn’t really like to do that, as if he would pity Yami for not knowing it…

"Look, in every city and village there is a hidden house.
But it is not a normal house where a family lives in, with a nice garden and white fence around it.
No, it is a very special house I am talking about!
Not everyone can see that house, you know.
Just people who wish for a child in their lives are able to do so, because of an ancient spell that makes it visible on full moon-nights only.
This house, or better, this castle, is in most cases on a big hill, so the workers there can easily see when someone comes up to them.
Around this house and its hill is a high wall with a heavy iron gate, and a pack of very snappy dogs guard the garden and gates, so no one can get away.

There is always a heavy fog in the garden, which makes it hard to find the house, even with the full moon and if you know it is there, and you can easily get lost on your way.
The walls are pitch-black, with metal-grilled windows and high towers towering over everything like a nightmare.
Silvery knight-armors are patrolling through the halls, because sometimes the babies try to run away, or someone of course breaks in and tries to steal one of the babies.
Those peoples of course get thrown in the dungeon with only water and bread, until all that is left of them are their clean bones. Water is running down the walls, bats are hanging from the ceiling and mice and rats are happily living down there.

The rooms of that castle are all gloomy and chilling, with iron-bars before the windows and full of cages, and the babies are tied up in them.
It is very dangerous and difficult to get a baby, because you have to sneak in and steal one.
But before you can worry about picking the lock of the cage, there are many other troubles you have to face first.
You have to get around the watchdogs, the locked front door, and the living knights-amour, of course.
And even if you survive all of that, you also have to get around pits full of hungry crocodiles, and arrows suddenly coming out of the walls.
There are axes and spears flying around, and bloodsucking bats who bite everything with a pulse!
Boulders are falling down on you, or holes suddenly opening up under your feet!

It is really nothing for weaklings, if you want to have a baby, you have to work hard for it and steal one without getting caught! You have to be very skilled, or you at last know someone who is able to do the dirty work for you!"

Yugi starred at Bakura with big eyes as the thief told him the 'story', and they where so absorbed, they didn’t even notice Ryou coming out of the kitchen, since he was also interested in Bakuras explanation.
"Wow, Bakura, and you where in there, since you know that so well? Did someone hire you, since you can steal like a magpie?!"
Bakura just smirked at the shorter boy, but he didn’t answer.
But for Yugi that grin was really answer enough.

"And do you know who the babies get in their cages in the first place?" Bakura asked, and Yugi shook his head quickly.
"In the middle of this castle is an especially high, cruel and mean looking tower, full of weird, blinking devices. They are constantly huffing and puffing and beeping, and the cables and pipes are linked with the lightning rods on the outside of the tower.
Peoples in white coats are scampering around there the whole day and they wait for the next tempest and storm.
Because they breed the babies from the parts of dead bodies, which they dig out of the nearby graves…

By the way, they do the same with animals, which is where all the little dogs and cats are came from, and even all the damn evil rabbits.
But sadly, sometimes they are really dense or careless and than they make stupid mistakes and they interbreed the wrong things with each other.
Like parts of a human with a bat or a wolf.
And that is where all the monsters come from, the vampires and werewolf's, who roam the night and are waiting in the dark alleys for their prey!…

…Hey Ryou, what are you doing there?" Bakura asked suddenly as he noticed that Ryou snatched his jacket and was about to go out. The white haired Hikari reached out for his shoes before he answered him:

"Just what I promised you! You told Yugi a bunch of nonsense, so now I go out and buy that Bakura-proof lock for the fridge, and you can forget about all the tasty meat in there!
If you are lucky and I'm in a good mood I will maybe cook you something vegetarian, instead of just bread and water.
Even if that would be just what you deserve!"

"But Ryou!!! What the hell shall I do with vegetables!? Do I look like a damn rabbit to you, or what?! I need meat! I have to stay strong and healthy, and how should I do that when you feed me rabbit-fodder!!! I need my meat, Hikari!"
"I warned you, so don’t whine around now! That’s what you get for not listening to your Hikari!"

"Okay, okay, I give in, you win!" Bakura muttered unhappily, and Ryou sat down beside Yugi with a triumphant grin.
"That’s how you do that..." Ryou smiled and gave his Yami the spoon:
"Now, go and stir the food, and I will take over this talk. You don’t know how to handle that correctly, Bakura."

Ryou waited until the door nearly closed behind the thief, until he suddenly remembered something: "And when I say stir, then I don’t mean to 'taste if it's ready' until nothing is left of it! I mean just stir it properly!"
"Damn it!" Came it immediately from the kitchen, and both Hikaris laughed at that.

The white haired Hikari shook his head as he tried to deduct the damage his thoughtless Yami had caused for the poor, innocent boy as much as possible.

"Okay, now listen to me, Yugi. You know very well that Bakura can talk a lot when the day is long, right? And you can't believe everything he said sometimes. And this is one of those times!
What he described to you was most probably the Frankenstein-villa! And I wouldn’t have let him watch that damn movie if I had known how stupid that idiot is!!!!" Ryou yelled from the top of his lungs, making sure that his thief could hear him well in the other room.
"Yeah, sure, I love you too!" Bakura yelled unaffected back.

"Well, whatever, the true is, there is really something like a special house, or shop, where you can get the babies, if you want one.
This special shop is always in a side wing of a hospital, to make sure they are healthy, and stay that way, too.
And it is certainly not dark or moist, but bright and friendly. There are no monsters, not a single one, but doctors and nurses who take care of the babies and help the peoples there to make their choose.

There is something like a display window or an outlay, with many soft beds with different babies sleeping peacefully in them.
At first, you go there and look at the children, and then you tell one of the nurses which one you want to have.

And if you choose one of them you can easily order it, and you just have to wait three to four days, then you can pick up your new baby and finally take it home with you. That way you have time enough to prepare everything for your new baby.
And they need the time to replicate the baby, because the ones in the windows are just for showing from what you can choose, you can't take them with you at the same day.
Because they can't exactly store them, so they have to make a new one for every order.

But you must be very carefully, because you can't return it later, when you have taken it home with you! You must think about and look carefully about it before you take it home…"

Yugi blinked at Ryou as he finished his own version of the story.
Ryou just blinked back and waited for a reaction.
Bakura stood in the door and also blinked at them.
"And I still think my story was way better!" He grunted and went back in the kitchen, shaking his head disbelieving. How can Ryou do this to such a great story!?

Both Hikaris looked after him, and Yugi sighed: "So what you want to tell me is that you can buy babies in the hospital. Just like that?!" He summarized everything he heard.

"Ha ha ha… Well, yes, just like that…" Ryou said a little hesitant, all the while hoping that Yugi wouldn’t ask any more questions.
After a little thinking, Yugi jumped up with a smile and beamed relived:"That is really good, Ryou! At last it is not some kind of haunted house or something! But I guess it would be really strange if you have to break in somewhere to get a baby, since it is illegal."

"Yes, but Bakura still refuse to believe me when I tell him that…"
Yugi patted encouraging Ryous shoulder:"Don’t worry, one of those days you will train him. And if that don’t work, you can always throw more pans at him…"
"Yes, but I honesty doubt that it will do some good. I mean, Ishizu also always tries to knock some common sense into Marik. And we all know how he is…"

Both chuckled as the thoughts of the crazy Yami, before Ryou returned to his kitchen to watch over his own psycho. Because a kitchen is not really a safe place for an impatient tomb robber.

Yugi also made quickly his way back home to be there on time for breakfast.
Because he didn’t want to intrude Ryou and Bakura by their breakfast.
Firstly, it's bad manners, secondly Yami would be worried about his absence, and thirdly Bakura is not a very nice view when he was eating…

TBC:
I got the idea about children coming from a shop from 'smalvina', I hope you don't mind that I borrowed it, but I like it, and I think that kind of explanation fits Bakura a lot.

I just couldn’t help it, I somehow can't see Bakura tell a story about angels, or the flowers and the bees, or anything innocent!
He just had to tell a horror story! And since until now Yugi always gets innocent and nice and harmless stories, Bakura just has to step out of the line!

I somehow like it, when Ryou is a little rough with Bakura, and the poor thief get a little tap on his fingers. Because Ryou has to win against him from time to time. ^___^
I always feel sorry for poor Ryou in the stories where Bakura abuse him (I don’t say that they are bad or that I don’t like them, just that I feel sorry for him!)
And so I let him (and the other Hikaris, too) be a little cheeky in my own stories.

And I like it when the Hikaris have their Yamis wrapped around their finger, and they still look like innocent little angels! ^___^