Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wish Upon a Star ❯ Wishes ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ryou sat by his window, staring into the sunset. He felt alone in the world. Well, not quite alone. He still had his yami, Bakura. Sort of. Tonight, Bakura was hanging out with his friends, Marik and Malik. …He had been doing that a lot lately.

Ryou sighed. He didn't have many friends…. Just Yugi and the gang. But he couldn't help but feel like an outsider with them. All of them were so happy and care free. They never had a problem talking with each other, always making jokes and laughing. Ryou however, would sit there, and laugh nervously when a joke was made, but other than that he didn't speak. He wanted to say something witty, something to make the others laugh, or something cool, or maybe something deep…. Something that would put all of them in awe. He couldn't. He could never think of anything to say until it was too late.

Ryou watched the sky slowly darken, and he saw the first star of the night. He smiled sadly as he remembered what his mother would tell him every night… Well, every night before she died.

She would say, "Look, Ryou… It's the first star of the night."

"I see, Mommy." he'd answer.

"And do you know what's so special about it?"

"No…"

She would smile warmly, hugging him close. "That star is a wishing star. You can make any wish on it, and it will come true!"

"Really?" he'd ask excitedly.

"Yes. Now Ryou, think of a wish."

Ryou would close his eyes and think hard about what he'd want to wish for.

"Do you have one yet?"

Ryou would look up into her kind eyes and smile brightly. "Yes!"

"Good. Now, cup your hands like this," she'd cup her hands to show him, "and whisper it into your hands." She'd close her eyes and whisper into her hands, and Ryou would do the same.

"Done?"

"Yes."

"Now release it! Thrust towards the star!" Ryou's mother would thrust her hands towards the star. And then Ryou would.

"What did you wish for, Mommy?"

His mother would smile and wink, and raised a finger to her lips. "If I tell you, my wish won't come true."

"Oh…"

Then she'd kiss his head, lay him in his bed and tuck him in. "Goodnight, my angel."

"G'night, Mommy." Ryou would say, yawning. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Ryou found tears streaming down his face as he remembered this. Maybe… Just maybe… If he wished on this star… He could finally have a friend to talk to, someone to hangout with, someone who understood him. Someone… Anyone…

Ryou cupped his hands and whispered his wish. "I wish… I wish I could have a friend…" he murmured. He thrust his hands towards the star, sending his wish to it.

Then, Ryou smiled slightly, feeling foolish. 'Wishing on a star? Is this what I have been reduced to? Ah, well, I suppose it was worth a try, even it was in vain.'

The white haired boy stood up and stretched. 'I should probably get ready for bed.' And with that last thought, he changed out of his clothes and changed into a pair of blue plaid pajama pants and a white t-shirt. He went to his bathroom, brushed his teeth, and went and climbed into his bed, pulling his denim comforter over his thin body, and fell asleep……

~

Ryou was walking down a row of desks, desperately trying to find his. Suddenly, he tripped and all the books and school supplies he was carrying spilled all over the floor. Quickly, he started to pick up his stuff. Then someone handed him one of his spiral notebooks.

"Thank you." he said, and then he started to look up, to see who it was who was helping him. And he saw-

"SAVE A HORSE, RIDE A COWBOY!"

~

Ryou woke with a start, slamming his hand on his radio/alarm clock. 'Stupid alarm clock…' Ryou rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and pulled the covers off of him, and then crawled out of his bed. He quickly hopped into the shower, washed, jumped out of the shower, grabbed a towel, and put his school uniform on.

He ran to the staircase, slid down the banister (yes, Ryou slid down the banister… Weird huh?), and went into the kitchen.

There he saw his yami, head on the table asleep. A steady flow of drool was coming out of his mouth. Ryou didn't know whether to be disgusted or amused.

"Hey… Bakura… Wake up…" Ryou poked the sleeping yami on his shoulder.

"Huh? Wha…?" Bakura sat up and wiped the drool from his mouth. "What time is it?" he asked groggily.

Ryou checked his watch. "Six o'clock. We need to catch the bus in thirty minutes."

Bakura swore loudly and rushed upstairs to get ready for school.

Ryou sighed and shook his head. He headed towards the pantry and pulled out a box of Cheerios and made himself a bowl for breakfast.

~

"C'MON BAKURA! THE BUS WILL BE HERE ANY MINUTE!" Ryou shouted up the stairs.

"HOLD ON! I CAN'T FIND MY BELT!" Bakura yelled back.

"GO GET ONE OF MINE!"

"I DON'T WANT ONE OF YOURS!"

Ryou sighed angrily. Living with Bakura was like living with a homicidal three year old.

"AHA!" Ryou heard Bakura cry triumphantly. "FOUND IT!"

"GREAT! NOW COME DOWN HERE! I THINK THE BUS IS COMING!"

He saw his yami run down the stairs, putting his belt on. Bakura quickly grabbed his backpack from the stair a case.

Ryou was about to walk out the door, when Bakura shoved him out of the way, getting out first. Ryou shot his yami an angry glare, but didn't say anything. The Brit dusted his pants off and walked out the door like a normal human being, and locked the door behind him.

Ryou got on the bus and looked in vain for an empty seat. He looked up and down the rows and saw Seto Kaiba sitting on one of them. He did a double take and wondered why Kaiba was riding the bus when he had a limo to take him to school. Why did Kaiba even GO to school? He was definitely smart enough to already have a college degree…

Ryou shook his head and walked up to the seat Kaiba was sitting in. "Can I sit with you?" He asked politely.

Kaiba didn't say anything; he just shifted his stuff into his lap to make room for Ryou.

Ryou sat down warily. Kaiba seemed… Mad… Best not to say anything…

Ryou leaned back and closed his eyes, and started thinking. 'Maybe I should ask him why he's riding the bus instead of his limo….?'

"I bet you're curious as to why I'm riding this hunk of junk when I could be riding in my limo," Kaiba asked out of nowhere.

"Um… Yeah... A little…" Ryou answered timidly. '…Can Kaiba read minds?!'

Kaiba raised an eyebrow at Ryou's tone, but didn't remark on it. "It broke down early this morning. We didn't have time to fix it."

"I see…"

"Hn." And Kaiba turned around and looked out the window.

Ryou looked at Kaiba for a second and then looked at his lap. 'That was the longest conversation I've ever had with Kaiba. Kinda sad actually. Ah, well, time for sleep!' (A:N// My first thoughts when I get on the bus in the morning…and the afternoon…: TIME TO GO BACK TO SLEEP!!)

~

When the bus arrived at Domino High, Kaiba noticed Ryou was sleeping. Annoyed that he had to stay on the bus 5.3 seconds longer than he wanted to, he poked Ryou in the shoulder, trying to get the boy to wake up. "Wake up!" he hissed. "We're here!"

"Huh… Wha..?" Ryou asked groggily.

"I said, we're here."

"Oh. Right." Ryou picked his stuff up and got off the bus, with Kaiba right behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to say this right now. This will NOT be yaoi, shounen-ai, or anything like that. Also, I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! Or Big & Rich's song, "Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy". ^^ But it's a very good song, even though I don't own it. Please review!! ^^ Ah, yes, one more thing… Callie1075 beta read this and caught my stupid mistakes! ^^ Thanks! Ok, please review!