Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: The Second Story ❯ Adjustments ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3 - Adjustments
The plane's wheels dropped from the belly and rolled across the runway of the academy, slowly coming to a halt. Jordan jumped to the window and saw a beautiful island, isolated from the rest of the world, so it seemed. There was a large building up front, surrounded by several spires: obelisks to state the technical term. There were three semi-spheres on levels like stepping stones along a river. Red was bottom, then yellow, and blue marked the highest step of all. All around was a lush forest, and all at the foot of a dormant volcano that still bellowed smoke.
Kaiba stepped ahead with Saphira and Mokuba behind him. After several feet to let everyone off the plane, the administrators stopped the crowd from proceeding further as Kaiba turned on a heel to address the departing students. “Qualified duelists, welcome to Duel Academy. I am Seto Kaiba, head of the entire complex. Here, Duel Academy has three goals to expect from the students. Our first goal is to provide the world with the best Duelists on all levels. Here we train duelists to use Beat-down Decks, Burn Decks, Class Decks, Attribute Decks, and so forth. If a Deck is made possible it will be improved by your knowledge but you must improve the deck yourself.
“Second, my Duel Academy provides the technology to make the dreams of game designers a reality. I've appointed Mokuba as head of Game Design. Currently, we are looking for fresh ideas that will draw more attention the Duel Academy, and hopes are to this year's students.
“And finally, the third goal of the Duel Academy is to produce a line of Duel Monster cards. You all know that three years ago, Industrial Illusions, who has created the game and developed the cards you hold in your hands today, has fell from business. There haven't been any published cards since. I expect those that want to proceed with this goal to have a well-understanding of cards' powers and the cost to play them.” He finished his speech and stepped aside to let Saphira take the next step in the verbal.
She came forward and cleared her voice. “I am Saphira Kaiba, the Academy First Lady. I handle the disciplinary issues of the Academy so don't disappoint me. Many of you have in the past so I'll have an announcement for the girls once everything is settled.” An odd gaze ran through the crowd, many befalling on Artemis and the other scarce female freshmen. “You'll notice that there are four trails before us. The trail farthest to the right lead to the Slifer Red dorms, the trail to the far left go to Ra Yellow, the middle right is to Obelisk Blue, and the final trail to the main building. There are more than these trails on the island; you'll receive a map in your student handbook once you've made yourselves at home. Just like Seto-sama, I expect our selection of students to be good as those previous. If you need any advice, please see the upperclassmen or one of us.” With that Saphira finished, leaving Mokuba to finish the speech.
“I am Mokuba Kaiba, head of the Game Design. For those that would like to proceed with the second and third goals, you can see me tonight at the reception in the male Obelisk Blue Dorms. Also, after your duels were accomplished, each of you received your very own school-standard PDA. If you can't find me, feel free to drop me a voice message. How you can reach me or anyone else you know is to open up the Contacts menu and scroll through the names. Once the name is selected you'll instantly be connected to that PDA unless that PDA is off. You can text message or call them like a phone.” Mokuba was gestured to wrap it up from Kaiba. “In any case, feel free to talk to any of the administrators for more advice. Now follow your respective administrators to your dorms and dress into your uniforms, the first day receptions begin tonight at seven.” With that, the three groups parted with the Kaiba's beginning to walk towards the main building.
 
Daitokuji lead the group of Slifer Red freshmen on a long trail through the forest, the forest soon cleared to a wide opening off a steep cliff to the ocean shore resting to the left of the opening was a two-level building that almost resembled a cheap hotel complex. “Well this is it. And Jordan, you'll be lucky to get some roommates with experience,” Daitokuji said with the fail-free smile. “Yosho and Steven are some of my best students. A little slack but they know how to have a good time.” He then turned around with his cat in one arm and a handful of keys in the others. “Alright, your rooms have been previously assigned. For those with second-year and third-year roommates may proceed when announced. Judai Yuki and Sho Marufuji, you are rooming with Hayate Maeda. As for you Jordan Sabre, Yosho and Steven are right next door from Judai, the third door on the second floor's east wall. The rest of you collect your keys.”
Jordan took his lead and paced up the steps, feeling lucky that he just might have a head start in the Duel Academy. He reminded himself what Daitokuji said about his room. Jordan approached the third door, hearing the bass of music being played; he winced as the pounding beat rattled his eardrums as he soon regretted having second-year roommates.
Jordan turned the door slowly and was greeted with the explosion of a parody of lyrics form the all-too-famous singer, “Aquarius! There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the back of a speeding bus! Fill that void in your pathetic life by playing Whack-A-Mole seventeen hours a day!” Jordan clapped his ears over his head.
“Excuse me!” Jordan cried over the music of Weird Al Yankovic, “Is this Steven and Yosho's room?!” One of the guys just now noticed Jordan, while reading from three stacks of manga and two stacks of video games. He had brown buzz cut hair much like that of Jordan's, but a tall body made him look big for his age. He turned around to the other that was singing with the music coming from the computer speakers.
“Loki! LOKI!” He said, getting the music volume turned down by several octaves. “New roomie's here.” His roommate turned around with ellipses or glasses. Around his head was a professional but natural blend of red and brown hair hanging unusually long with a small ponytail tied to the back.
“Seriously?” he asked, turning the chair around to face Jordan, “Where's Jonburu?”
“He got promoted to Ra Yellow you twit!” the first guy insulted, chucking a game case at Loki's head. He then turned to Jordan again, still keeping a thumb on the page he was at in his manga. “Sorry, I'm Steven Bcadd, and my insane roommate, who will soon be yours, is Yosho Loki.”
“At your service!” Yosho cheered with a grin as wide as Steven's smile right after the introduction. “And who are you?” Jordan gave them both an odd gaze and looked over the railing to Daitokuji.
“Daitokuji-sensei, can I get my room switched!”
 
Artemis wandered within a small group of students carrying their bags and uniforms. Among her were probably five other girls. Strolling next to her was the boy she sat next to on the plane, Daichi Misawa. The administrator leading the group came to a stop and turned on a heel. “Greetings, freshmen of Ra Yellow; I am Dr. Hikari, the male dorm administrator. As you will see your accommodations will be well furnished, just don't expect anything like the students of the Obelisk Blue dorms. The Ra Yellow dorm is divided into two levels: the girls will have the top floor, the boys will be at the bottom floor.” He declared his speech over the freshman class, “While in my dorms I expect nothing less of my pupils but good tactical dueling skills. Which means I better not hear any defeats handed to us from a Slifer Red, do I make myself clear?”
Many of the students nodded. Artemis wasn't one of them; she looked back behind her, barely seeing the roof of the Slifer Red Dorm over the woods.
“Now then, feel free to select your roommates. You'll be given keys once you are paired with your roommates.” Hikari ended his speech and let the group begin looking for one another. Daichi left Artemis' side, leaving her in the crowd.
Artemis glanced about, looking for her own partner. In the fluster she bumped shoulders with another guy and knocked her to the ground, scattering her drawings in the process. She prayed none of them would be stepped on or damaged by the dirt.
“Are you OK?”
Someone finally noticed her trying to save her sketches and works, while admiring them at the same time. One of the Ra Yellow freshmen girls that was probably her age if not younger was flipping through several of Artemis' works. After a moment she extended a hand to help Artemis up.
Green hair was cupped over her head with long bangs just over her eyelids, and half of her wide brown eyes. She had the biggest smile Artemis could have seen before her compliment came out of her lips: “These are amazing! You couldn't have possibly been able to trace these! I've never seen them before, what are they?” She swooned over the colored pencil, ink, and graphite, while trying to keep them neat.
“Well, they are my original work.” Artemis answered shyly, a tone extremely out of her usual boastful attitude. “My name's Artemis Minh.” The admirer twirled once happily to show off a blue skirt with a white spaghetti-strap top and cheered her name.
“I'm Jade Llora!” Artemis couldn't help but show a calming smile, and the hidden thought of disbelief as to how an eccentric girl like her made it to Ra Yellow. “Want to be my roommate?” Artemis took a passing glance to the other females that have paired up and approached Hikari for their keys.
“Sure.” She answered as they both headed to get their room keys. After receiving a pair from Hikari, they entered the building. It was no different from a decent hotel. Each room had its own bathroom and kitchen station; even two beds sitting beside each other to a nightstand with a telephone.
Jade strolled in, setting her bag and Duel Disk on her beside, and tested the mattress. Of course the wide smile of a first day was streaked across her face. Artemis walked in after her, notices first the desks on either side of the beds and set her stuff down. Jade saw the Duel Disks were odd from one another, “Why do you have a different Duel Disk than me? Oh wait, never mind, I know Mokuba-senpai gave you that Duel Disk because you were…you were…”
“A left-handed duelist.”
“Yeah, that's it! So what kind of deck do you run? It was pretty hard to tell with how little of a resort you had to use to face Mokuba.” Jade asked while shifting through her own.
“I play a Warrior Deck, half of it is Amazoness.” Artemis answered, wondering the same out of Jade.
“Me? I play a Beast Deck.” Jade informed. Artemis suddenly lost herself in confusion. Jade was an excitable type; Artemis was expecting a Fairy Deck. But a Beast Deck?
Distracted from a conundrum, Jade called Artemis' attention again. “Artemis, look at my uniform! Isn't it cute?” She smiled. Artemis was otherwise disgusted; the shirt was snug around the top and the skirt just barely fitted over the margin of Artemis' tolerance. “Huh? What's wrong Artemis?”
Artemis shook her head. “It's nothing, I just don't like the female uniform.” She said, folding hers up neatly. “I'm going to see Saphira-san from a uniform change. I might be able to get myself a male uniform.”
“But why? I don't think anyone asked for that before…” Jade wondered, “Why would you want a blazer?” It took a while for Artemis to answer her. She was picking her words carefully.
“Just past experience. It's one of my life's lessons.” Artemis looked over her shoulder after attaching her duel Disk to her right arm. “Want to come?” Jade nodded quickly and grabbed the map and her own Duel Disk. After locking the door behind them they began to exit off the premises, successfully avoiding sight from anyone else.
 
After ten minutes of walking through one of the trails that weaves through the woods, they found the main building. Both cross fingers that they wouldn't be in trouble for being out of their dorm room until the reception. Despite the festivities prepared in the dorms, the main building was left clean. “We saw Saphira-san go this way, didn't we?” Jade asked.
“We did, hopefully she's still here.” Artemis said, pulling out her PDA from her pocket. “Or I could call Saphira-san and ask if I could meet with her.”
“Or you can turn right around and march straight back to your dorm, ladies.” A voice sliced through, one of heavy accent that sent shiver to the both of them. They carefully turned around to the same Chronos that Artemis batted at, and the shadowing of his face from the sunlight behind him just made him creepier than before. “Should I ask what you two are doing out here? Furthermore, should I ask why you­ aren't in your uniform?” He directed his attention towards Artemis.
Artemis held her head high. “I'm looking for Saphira-san, to question about the wardrobe and hope to be given a change in mine.” Chronos snorted.
“If you wanted your uniform a resize you could have said so. But regulation is that all Ra Yellow female students must wear uniforms such as your friend's there.”
“And if I were to request to exchange my uniform for that of the males'?” Artemis asked, still standing her ground against him. Behind her, Jade was growing nervous.
“Then disciplinary action is in order.” Chronos crossed his arms. “You will duel me as punishment for confronting an administrator on unleveled grounds.”
“I'll say it's unleveled. Sounds like you want me to kiss your boots before I can say anything.” Artemis snickered at her own joke.
“That's disorderly conduct to an administrator, young lady! I can have you thrown off this island right now!”
“But I'll accept the duel, Chronos-sensei.” Artemis said, making Chronos straighten out.
“Very well, a duel then. If I win you will be expelled on the account of disorderly conduct.” Chronos settled his end.
“And when I win, you'll lead us straight to Saphira-san's office.”
“Notice I said `if', as in you might not be able to defeat me, you really need to work on your grammar child. But I suppose everyone has a fair chance, depends on their decks.” Chronos yammered with a gradually lowering volume. “I'll only be a minute, wait for me in Arena Main 14. I won't be waiting for you.” His phrase passed a threatening gale through Artemis but she didn't flinch, or wince. Chronos turned and headed for another entrance into the main building.
Jade could finally exhale. “Artemis, are you crazy? Chronos will murder you out there!” She shared concern. Artemis just kept a stiff glare on Chronos before he disappeared around the corner.
“It'll be easy enough. No one has yet to see my true deck strategy yet because I beat my opponent so quickly with random spitfire.” Artemis showed some concern of other reasons, but just to be safe I should swap a few cards…”
 
After an exchange, Artemis and Jade made their way to the Duel Arena Chronos had directed them to. Artemis had her Duel Disk clamped to her right arm and deck ready. Jade was still none too enthusiastic about the duel. “You should have seen him duel, Artemis. Chronos doesn't know how to show mercy. That Ancient Gear Golem will crush you!”
“Will you calm down Jade?” Artemis asked calmly, “I have to thank you for helping me tune up my deck a bit, but that's my strategy as a duelist, I don't believe in sacrifice.”
“Has that helped you before? Only one tribute monster in your -entire- deck?” Jade emphasized “entire” like it was a grimly spoken word.
“You'll see, my Armada hasn't let me down yet. I've worked hard to achieve my cards and sometimes my most powerful cards aren't the rare ones.” Artemis smirked and entered the arena. “Arena 14 is what he said, right?”
“Ah yep.” Jade nodded. Artemis shrugged and took one side of the arena. It was a solitary duel arena, surrounded by stadium rows of seats like it was fit for an exclusive duel. It was big enough to fit the entire student body and then some. The lights were bright over their heads as their voices echoed in the empty dome. “Chronos should have been here by now.”
As if right on cue, the tapping of boots was amplified through the other end of the stadium of which Artemis stood. She stayed firm to her will as Chronos had his unique Duel Disk. He slightly altered his clothes but still he had the pink frills high around his neck. He had a chrome device strapped to his chest by several leather belts and buckles, included was a narrow plate that was connected to him with leather and metal support. The plate share length from his left shoulder to his right hip, with the same Duel Disk layout across the length. “Well you've found your way here, now once I defeat you in this Duel with my deck you will find your way off this island.”
“Your deck huh? This should be fun. I wager I'll beat you in five turns!” Artemis boasted, making Jade jump.
“You cocky ingrate!” Chronos snapped, “Just draw your cards and make your move!” Artemis pulled her hand, she could have asked for a better one but it'd give her a good head start. Chronos had other thoughts. You're foolish. I've seen how you dueled.
Artemis pulled two cards from her hand. “I'll start things off with a spell Card, The A. Forces!” She began the turn with a Spell Card. “This is how it works out, The Allied Forces is a spell card that enforces my Warrior Cards. For each Warrior I throw out on the field, it gains an additional 200 Attack Points.”
“I know what it does, just get on with your turn already.” Said an impatient Chronos.
“Very well, I'll summon Amazoness Paladin in attack mode, finishing it off with one more card face-down and ending my turn.” She concluded. Standing before her Spell Card was a female warrior suntanned in skin color with long blonde hair under an animal hide-hood. Her top and skirt were of also of the same material but she carried a sword that looks too regal to be of her tribe.
“I'm a very busy man, so I'll make this quick.” Chronos said and drew his sixth card. She hides well her strategy. Precaution is with her until I know her deck. “I'll set one monster facedown and end my turn for now.” He said as a card hovered in front of him. In action his monster stuck quickly to his plate.
“Odd…” Artemis said to herself and drew her card. “I summon Amazoness Blowpiper in attack mode!” She threw her second monster to her field. Like the first, she was a tribeswoman but her weapon was a pipe used to shoot poison darts. “Now Amazoness Paladin's effect comes in, her power is boosted to 1900 because another Amazoness has made it to the field, and they both gain 400 attack points from The A. Forces.” Artemis stated.
In the instant of Blowpiper's summon, the Spell Card The A. Forces glowed with a dimming aura, encircling the two Amazoness. The aura flashed when they raised their weapons for a battle cry.
“I'll begin my Battle Phase now! Amazoness Paladin, attack his facedown card!” Artemis joined in on the approach of victory.
Amazoness Paladin raised her sword and struck down on Chronos' defense, a small figure of a creature made of boulders. Chronos guffawed, an ear-splitting laugh that made Jade and Artemis cringe. “You flew right into my trap! Dummy Golem has a special ability that allows me to control one of your monsters and you take the Golem.” Chronos explained, “But you've attacked my Dummy Golem so you won't get anything here.”
Artemis shrugged. “Fine, you take Amazoness Blowpiper!” She said, Amazoness Blowpiper was sent from one side to the other in the instant. “I guess to finish I'll set one more card facedown and that'll do it.”
Chronos began his turn; looking at all he could do in his hand. “I'll begin my turn by using Amazoness Blowpiper's special ability. She targets one monster and reduces its attack by 500 points.” At his command, the Blowpiper inhaled and out bolted a small dart that struck Amazoness Paladin in the throat. The Paladin winced and quickly pulled the dart out, but she still staggered.
Jade paled terribly. “Artemis…”
“Now so nothing comes my way. I'll activate Heavy Storm, blowing all your cards away!” Chronos proclaimed as a wild windstorm whipped about, making Artemis' cards quake on the field.
“Not this time around, I activate Magic Jammer! By discarding one card I can negate the effect of Heavy Storm and keep my cards!” Artemis countered. After she discarded, a red circle came from under her feet and spewed a purple fog that nullified the maelstrom. “Want to try something else?” She challenged.
Chronos snickered, “I was hoping you'd negate it. You fell for your own farce, Artemis!” Artemis raised a brow as Chronos calmed his small victory. “You poor child. You've forgotten I, too, was a witness to your duel against Mokuba. I saw that you used a card like Swords of Revealing Light, only to fake-out any surprises that might have come to you.” His horrid grin again made Artemis shiver with goose bumps.
“For an Obelisk Blue Admin' you sure don't pay attention to detail very much.” Artemis murmured, enough for Chronos to hear.
Chronos snapped back. “Well you can't possibly stop me now, not with your weakened Amazoness Paladin! So I'll summon Mechanicalchaser to the field!” He threw down another card. Next to Amazoness Blowpiper came about a powerful machine armed with blades and spears, balancing in the tip of a sword blade supporting its round body. “That's not all, I give Mechanicalchaser this, 7 Completed! A Spell Card such as this increases my machine's attack or defense by 700 points, which ever I choose. And now Mechanicalchaser's Attack strength increases to 2550 points!”
Artemis just stared at the machine as it overwhelmed Amazoness Paladin's weakened power of1500. Her right hand was nowhere near a trigger switch on her Duel Disk, showing no threat to Chronos.
“Mechanicalchaser! Attack Amazoness Paladin with Mechanical Joust!” Chronos demanded of his machine to follow command. Mechanicalchaser's thrusters sparked with ignition and made a full blast towards the Paladin.”
“Told you, you didn't pay attention to detail. You've neglected my facedown trap card! Sakuretsu Armor!” Artemis triggered another trap. Amazoness Paladin became armored in thick plates of hard substance. Upon contact, Amazoness Paladin raised an arm and shielded herself from the attack. The impact to a sudden halt was so powerful, that Mechanicalchaser flew into Paladin and exploded, breaking apart as the smoke breezed by Paladin and Artemis.
Chronos' jaw hung open as memory recollected. Of course! She attacked simultaneously after Mokuba's Magic Jammer because he didn't have another trap card! She DID have a trap card out and I fell for it, blundered by a mere trick! That won't happen again! His anger broiled. “I switch Amazoness Blowpiper to defense mode and end my turn here!”
 
Saphira sighed after she entered her office. Very ornate in wood borders and evergreen walls. The furniture was well polished; her desk divided the placement between her comforter chair and two other chairs, polished oak with papers stacked, several electrical devices next to a flat panel monitor computer.
It was another new school year and agreeing with Kaiba, this year's bunch wasn't much to brag about. And yet she couldn't stop wondering about the girl that defeated Mokuba through risky measures. Mokuba brought up the name to her: Artemis Minh. Saphira had seen some interesting dueling tricks in the past; even her own deck possessed a rare assortment.
Saphira lied back in her chair and noticed the Duel Log, a small black box that recorded the progress of Duels happening on Campus. There was one notice, already in progress. She pressed the device's red button and the serial numbers came to her attention. She murmured in disgust on the first serial number. “Hasn't even been two hours since the new students arrived and already Chronos is at it…” Saphira cursed and brought up the next serial number:
 
665822-1
 
At first Saphira was confused of the serial code. It wasn't random number as usual. “665822-1… What kind of number?” She muttered and accessed the serial number's personal info. “Field is Amazoness Paladin, and The A. Forces…Graveyard has Sakuretsu Armor and Magic Jammer… This tells me nothing!” Saphira turned to the phone on her desk next to the Duel Log and paused. Her steady gaze was on the number pad, each key had three or four letters each and it soon hit her. “6-MNO, 5-JKL, 8-TUV, 2-ABC…” It finally connected to her and she rose from her chair.
“Against Chronos…this I shouldn't miss.” She said with an expectant grin and exited from her office.
 
“My move!” Artemis announced and saw Chronos shudder. She took the advantage, “This will be fun, I summon D.D. Warrior Lady in attack mode!” Artemis next warrior came to the field beside Paladin whom has just recovered from the poison dart. The next warrior appeared to be generations ahead of her partner, with black leather taking majority of her outfit and holding a blade made of a white laser.
At the moment, The A. Forces began to produce a brimming aura that encircled Artemis' monsters once more, increasing their strength. Chronos shuddered on the sight of monsters boasting attacks of 2200 and 1900; the Amazoness Blowpiper only had a defense of 1500, unaided by Artemis' Spell Card.
“D.D. Warrior Lady, attack Amazoness Blowpiper!” Artemis commanded; the futuristic Warrior lunged forward, her sword suddenly taking on a solidified form, and sliced through Amazoness Blowpiper without actually cutting through her. The Amazoness shrieked before shattering, leaving Chronos wide open for the next attack.
“Oh no! This is impossible!” Chronos panicked.
“Amazoness Paladin, attack Chronos directly!” Artemis declared her second attack. Amazoness Paladin gestured her sword and thrust it clear through Chronos' abdomen. Like all the other Duel Disks, he too had a rumble feature, as some would say, that made him skid a foot back from his original stance. His Life Points were hit first, dropped to 1800 in one attack.
“You'll pay for that…” Chronos swore and pulled his next card. “Perfect! I summon Drillago in attack mode!” Chronos' next monster posed with an array of drills all around its body ready to attack. “Alright, now here's a lesson you won't soon forget! Drillago has a special ability which allows it to attack directly if all of my opponent's monsters have 1600 attack points or higher!” Artemis jumped.
“A 1600 direct! That's extreme!” Jade's mouth gaped in terror. With only 4000 Life Points to begin each game, a monster with an effect like that becomes more dangerous than ever.
“Drillago, attack her directly!” Chronos commanded. Drillago made uses of its drills and burrowed under the arena. Artemis felt the ground quake under her feet, growing in magnitude as Drillago got close until finally a drilling arm shot from the ground, screwing into her left shoulder with a forceful hit. Her Life Points fell to 2400 as she staggered back to her feet. This is better than my original plan. The humiliation to be defeated by a monster like this proves to be even sweeter. He thought devilishly.
“Hey Artemis!” Jade cried as Artemis recovered from the shock forced from her Duel Disk.
“I'll also end my turn with one card facedown, to protect my Drillago.” Chronos ended and Artemis drew.
To protect his Drillago? Does he mean a trap that can counter my attack or protect it from a Spell Card. Artemis figured and reviewed her hand. I can't take any chances, I'm facing an Obelisk Blue Administrator, he must know I play by increasing my monsters' attack points through everything possible. But I can't let Drillago get another shot at my Life Points.
“I'd take my time as well if I was about to be booted off the island.” Chronos mocked. “So why don't you just surrender?”
“Or just summon another monster and attack already.”
Jade turned around to see the owner of the new voice that echoed in the stadium. Saphira stopped short of the arena's edge with her arms crossed. “Chronos isn't a threat at this point. Destroy Drillago and finish it.”
“Saphira! What are you doing giving this girl hints!” Chronos barked.
Saphira snapped back: “What are you doing causing trouble to a freshman! Granted I'd rather see her take you down before I throw you out! Mirror Force is a banned card here in the Academy so don't even try pulling that prank again so you can get your way.” She turned to Artemis. “Attack him, he's the worst liar.” Artemis nodded and looked to her hand once more.
“I summon Marauding Captain in attack mode!” Artemis declared as a male commanded headed the group. She hesitated to see if Chronos was going to counter the monster's summoning; she got no response. “When Marauding Captain comes into play, I'm allowed to summon another monster to the field, so I call Command Knight!” A fourth warrior came in the line-up, female of higher ranks in a military covered on armor and animal pelts.
The A. Forces pulsed and each monster was given 800 added attack points. Command Knight lifted her sword over her head and enforced a second battle cry, the other three followed, primed with more power.
“Wh-what's going on!” Chronos demanded.
“You mean you don't know Command Knight? Well we both know that now that I have four Warriors on the field, each of them gain 800 attack points. Adding to that, Command Knight gives all Warriors an additional 400 attack points.” Artemis announced. “So let's review.
“Begin with Marauding Captain with 1200 without aid; he is now with 2400 attack points.
“Command Knight, also 2400 attack points.
“D.D. Warrior Lady, she has 1500 attack points, 2300 with The A. Forces, and 2700 with Command Knight.
“And last but not least, we meet the veteran of the duel, Amazoness Paladin. She has a 1700 base attack, 1800 because of her effect of gaining an extra 100 per Amazoness, 2600 by means of The A. Forces, and 3000 with Command Knight's alliance.” Artemis calculated aloud. Jade's looked on in awe; she couldn't believe Artemis was right, not only could she defeat Chronos in less than five turns but she also proved that sacrifice for power isn't everything.
Saphira nodded in approval. She'll be a fine Duelist indeed.
“Oh no! NO!” Chronos' panic exploded in hysteria.
“Marauding Captain, begin the assault and destroy his Drillago!” Artemis commanded. Her male warrior charged with both swords in his hands. Two swings turned Drillago into scrap metal; furthermore, Chronos lost his Life Points until he reached his last quarter of 1000.
“Saphira, how could you do that!” Chronos called for answers again.
“Chronos…”
“What!”
Saphira hesitated while looking at the rest of the wave coming towards him. “Think fast.” Chronos turned around to see the other three warrior ladies with swords raised coming down on him. His cry of defeat was muffled to the sound of sickening sword-through-skin-muscle-and-all. Chronos' body was flung back to the floor from the impact of 8100 attack points total. His Life Points slid to zero, deep into the negatives if possible, while Artemis maintained a steady 2400.
Jade couldn't help but cheer. “Yeah Artemis, you did it!” Her cheering silenced when Saphira and Artemis approached each other. They both took a long hard look at each other before Artemis broke silence.
“I was hoping I could talk to you about something, Saphira-san.” Artemis said.
“And why were you dueling Chronos?”
“Forced me, said I was being disorderly to him and said if he won I'd be sent off the island.”
Saphira stood silent before turning to Chronos just recovering from the duel. “Chronoooos!” She called like a drill sergeant, sending Chronos on his feet in a split second. “I'll have a word with you after Artemis has a word with me.” While Saphira scolded Chronos, Jaded handed Artemis her uniform still neatly folded. With that noted from Saphira, she led Artemis out of the arena.
“I'll meet you back at the dorm, OK?” Jade called behind Artemis' back as they walked out of the Duel Arena.
 
Saphira closed the door behind them once they reached her office. “I'd imagine this is of more important issues?” Artemis took a seat in a chair in front of Saphira's desk. One of the first things Artemis saw was a small portrait that seemed years old: it looked like Saphira just about two years older than her, standing in attention with the attire of a black suit, with a young Mokuba standing next to her.
Next to it was a much more recent portrait, of she, Kaiba and Mokuba standing in front of the Academy's main building.
Saphira too noticed that Artemis had her uniform, but still wearing the clothes she came to the Academy in. “Is that uniform too small?” She asked, getting Artemis' undivided attention again.
“It's not that it is too small, Saphira-san. But I've seen how the female uniform fits on the others. This may sounds stupid but I don't like the mini-skirt.” Artemis began with a small protest, keeping to herself to not offend Saphira.
“You aren't the only one. As you can see mine is knee-high.” Saphira agreed, showing Artemis her own uniform.
“Please let me make myself clear. I want the boys' blazer and be able to wear jeans in this school system.” Artemis' point of protest caught Saphira's interest further than from her duel. “I've dealt with too many perverts and idiots to wear anything cut higher than midway up my shins.” Her voice turned solid. “Not to mention I'm more comfortable to be in, and wander around in public, in my jeans.” Saphira's gesture interrupted Artemis before she began to rant.
Saphira's hand then open in front of Artemis with a stern glaze of seriousness in her eyes. “Hand over your uniform.” She said plain out. Artemis complied and handed her the uniform, which then she turned towards a large closet on the closest wall and opened it up. Three shelves were inside, each with a different color of female uniforms, and Saphira stacked Artemis' along with the rest before closing the door again.
Artemis could only think about two things: that Saphira abided by her request and reasoning, or that Saphira was putting the boot on her. Saphira's expression was so serious it could topple either way.
Saphira seated herself again, across from Artemis, and reached for her phone to press one button and bring the receiver to her hear. “Seto. Saphira…” she began, twisting Artemis' anxiety that she was consulting to the head of the Academy. She could only hear Saphira's end of the conversation. “I need a Ra Yellow male uniform…she could only find me at the present time…yes, I said `she'…it's Artemis Minh. I think she deserves it… check your Duel Log.” There was a long pause. Then Saphira nodded and hung up the phone with a gaze back to Artemis, unease by the one-sided conversation.
The wild card smile cast a glow on Saphira's face, but she still kept her rank as the First Lady. “You'll get your blazer shortly. Your confrontation on De Mediz will go off the hook. If you ask me, it's about time somebody gave him a one-sided duel. I'm just sorry it wasn't me.” Saphira's smile became wider by a small amount.
“Thank you, Saphira-san.” Said Artemis.