Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: The Second Story ❯ Lucky Sonova... ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 4 - Lucky Sonova…
 
Evening shortly fell. Jordan could swear he was going deaf and insane by the Weird Al Yankovic marathon in his room. His eyes waited on the clock, 6:45; fifteen more minutes before the receptions began, but even then he couldn't tell if he'd be able to run into Artemis during the parties. He buried his head under the pillow as he took up the bottom bunk, but the bass shook him down to the bone.
“Hey Jordan, don't you like Weird Al!” Loki asked over the blasting beats.
“I would if it wasn't maxed out!” Jordan screamed over the music.
“Live with it, we do this everyday until we get warned!” Steven added on over his manga.
“By who!”
“Usually Daitokuji-sensei gives us a knock on the door!”
“Really? I hear knocking now!” Jordan said, crawling out of bed and opening the door, closing it right behind him. He leaned against the door towards Daitokuji, his cat hanging in his arms. “Daitokuji-sensei.” He jumped.
Daitokuji smiled back before looking towards the door with a somewhat serious outlook and began banging hard on the door. “Boys, don't make me back my call to Saphira. She's on my speed dial, and in preparation for the reception I don't think she'd be too happy…” At his last word, the music died like a stereo was hit by a car. Another look to Jordan with a smile before he turned and Daitokuji walked off.
Jordan's jaw hung open for a bit, the words running through his head. Is Saphira really that bad? Jordan thought and walked back inside. Unusually quiet in the room, Yosho had his headset at low volume while Steven just read his manga in silence, snickering at some of the funnier scenes.
“He's gone right?” Steven asked Jordan when he came in.
“Yeah, he is…but I don't suggest you guys do that again.” Jordan said before he heard another rapping on the door.
“Oh and on a reminder, the reception starts in the mess hall in the basement in five minutes.” Daitokuji said. Jordan was relieved that he'd have some excuse to leave the room. He began to pack up and headed out, with Steven and Yosho behind him in minutes. All three and more from the second level walked from the outside staircase to the bottom level sealed by cellar doors. Steven stuffed his manga into one of his deeper pockets of his jeans and pulled both handles open.
“Last one in closes the door behind them.” Steven advised and began the line down into the stairs. Jordan walked behind Yosho, confused. The basement was definitely called a mess hall on several accounts; it looked like a cafeteria you'd see below decks of a pirate ship. Students in red blazers and only three females of the Slifer Red variety were getting their small but variable meals on plastic trays.
“This is a reception isn't it? Shouldn't we be able to meet the other students like those from Ra Yellow and Obelisk Blue?” He asked, walking past Daitokuji. His cat moaned while clinging to his shirt.
“You're free to visit the other dorms, Jordan,” Daitokuji answered, “It's just…well…” here he couldn't place the words right. One of the students stood up on his feet; he was pretty broad, wearing a white blazer with a red collar. His hair was divided into two black puffs on either side of his head and a wide nose, giving him the resemblance of a koala.
“Those guys in Ra Yellow and Obelisk Blue make fun of us Slifers!” He said with a deep voice and a hint of the outback accent. “It's all about the color in the Duel Academy and it goes for all of you freshmen. I advise you avoid the Yellows and Blues. They've teased us in the past and call us junk like `Slifer Slackers' and `Dead Reds'. We never get any respect, not even in dueling.”
“That would be true Hayate,” Steven agreed with the broad Slifer after he leaned back on a chair and resumed reading his manga. “Two years running and we still don't get anything. We've lost Jonburu due to reputation like that.”
“It's practically an unwritten rule here in the Academy. We can't associate with anyone above us and they can't associate with anyone below them.” Yosho added on, soon the hall of Slifers were murmuring on in a juggle of whispers. Jordan couldn't believe what he was hearing.
“Artemis would never do that! She's always been my friend and she won't let something like a grade system keep her away!” Jordan barked back, silencing the room once more. All eyes on him, every last pair. Daitokuji rest a hand on Jordan's shoulder for reassurance.
“Quite the outspoken one, aren't you? But unless you want your self-esteem to drop by passing whisper of Ra and Obelisk I suggest you keep your voice down.” He warned. Pair by pair, eyes peeled away from Jordan and looked down at their food, much of it resembling TV dinners. A moment passed before Jordan grabbed his tray and sat next to Steven and Yosho.
Steven almost reached the end of his manga when his eyes came over the page to meet Jordan. “You're a threat.” He said lowly. Jordan's eyes nearly came out of the sockets coming to that phrase.
“What!”
“You are a threat to dueling. You need to be put into place.” Steven said, looking to Daitokuji.
“What are you talking about!” Jordan demanded.
“It's become a tradition that the best of the Slifers receives a challenge from one of the freshmen newcomers. There's still a rivalry among who's the better between Steven and Yosho, but it's Steven's turn this time around. Although second-year, Steven is a good customer for the job.” Daitokuji informed and held up a smile, “Besides, a Duel is a good way to keep things lively after a hearty meal. Wouldn't you all agree?” He tried to get everyone's attention. Timid cheers became a roar through the tiny dining hall as Steven marked his place in his book and led the group outside, Yosho pushing Jordan to follow.
The crowd gathered outside into a broken ring almost as wide as the dorm building. Daitokuji set his cat on the ground by his feet and took up the center sidelines while Steven and Jordan stood in their respective places. After getting Jordan out of the basement, Yosho dashed up to his room and brought out a boombox stereo connecting to the computer. A pounding bass and tapping symbol plate began the instrumental to a dark whisper for lyrics, “Now this is what it's like when worlds collide. Now this is what it's like… Now this is what it's like when worlds collide. Now this is what it's like…”
“OK, this is a duel between Jordan Sabre and Steven Bcadd. Life Points to 4000 start. Duel Disks ready?” Daitokuji refereed. Both Steven's and Jordan's Duel Disks clicked into activation and the readout displayed 4000 for each of them. Daitokuji nodded. “Then let the duel begin, Steven has first move.”
Steven pulled his sixth card and earned himself a smirk. “I summon Vilepawn Archfiend (1200/500) in attack mode!” Was his opening play, beginning with a demonic monster resembling that of a Chess piece, although weak, it posed certain degree of threat by the next move. “I equip my Archfiend with this card, Axe of Despair, to enforce its Attack Points by 1000.” A common evil blade grew from the melded hilt of Vilepawn's sword.” I'll also place one card facedown and end it for my first turn here.” He finished, setting one card beside his Axe of Despair.
Jordan gulped, making his own first turn. “I draw.”
“And in response to your draw I activate this, Battle-Scarred! Now whenever I have to pay for Vilepawn's effect, you have to pay as well.” Steven triggered his trap. Jordan looked down on his hand; he had a better shot than when he faced Saphira. But he couldn't let any of his cards be gone to waste, all except one.
“I'll set one monster in defense mode and my own card facedown, ending my turn.” Jordan played cautiously.
Steven smirked, self-confident that Jordan wasn't too much of a threat. He drew, “Now during my Standby Phase, I'd have to pay 500 Life Points while my Vilepawn Archfiend is on the field. But because of Battle-Scarred, so do you.” He briefed as both their Life Points went to 3500. He looked through his hand. “I choose to play this card, Pandemonium.” Steven activated a Spell Card. The surrounding around them were covered in skeletons of monsters. “While Pandemonium is face-up on the field, neither of us have to pay Life Points for Archfiend Monsters. Nothing much, I know, I just needed something to do for a Main Phase.”
Daitokuji kept his position in the middle of the arena, watching Jordan and thinking, I wonder if he followed Saphira's advice… It looks like he has a thinner deck.
“OK! Vilepawn Archfiend, attack his facedown card with Archfiend Slash!” Steven announced his Battle Phase as the fiend moved forward to slice Jordan's card in two. Instantly his Archfiend was blown back and destroyed, as was the card.
“You hit my Cyber Jar(900/900)!” Jordan declared. “And everybody knows when Cyber Jar is flipped, all monsters are destroyed. Then we each pick up the top five cards of our deck, and whatever monsters are revealed they're summoned to the field.” With that, both players removed the monsters previously to the Graveyard and pulled the top five cards from their decks to reveal.
Jordan drew first, “I reveal Compulsory Evacuation Device, Dark Magician, Mystical Space Typhoon, Double Coston and Monster Reborn. In this group I'm allowed to summon Double Coston (1700/1650), in attack mode!” His monster was just two dark blobs floating together, failing to look like Siamese twins.
Steven pulled his top five and revealed them, “I get Trap Hole, Gren Maju Da Eiza, Terraforming, Shadow Knight Archfiend and Black Pendant. I set one monster and summon Shadowknight Archfiend(2000/1600) to the field!” Steven's monster was a bit more formidable, another Chess-piece fiend taking the form of the Knight with wild blue hair, a horse's skull taking up the trunk of the body and bony horse hindquarters for legs.
“I trigger my facedown now Bottomless Trap Hole! Whenever you Summon a monster with an attack of 1500 or over this card activates, it removes that monster from the game!” Jordan declares.
“That is if it isn't negated.” Steven said, making Jordan jump in surprise. Six orbs floated in formation over Steven's right shoulder, each of them with a smoky image of a number inside. “All Archfiend monsters have this special ability. When they're targeted specifically by an effect of any sort they have a chance to prevent that. See these spheres? This is my Shadowknight's chance to save itself. If the orb with a 3 inside becomes the result, your Bottomless Trap Hole is negated and destroyed.” A smoke hand spurred from the ground and grabbed the orbs from the air.
“Quite risky. Steven has a 1-in-6 chance that this will work in his favor.” Daitokuji informed as the hand threw the orbs into the air, five of them disappearing in flames. The survivor softly came back down to reveal its identity.
“A 3! That negates your Bottomless Trap Hole and allows me to resume my Battle Phase!” Steven cheered as the trap card vaporized from Jordan's holographic set-up. “Shadowknight Archfiend! Attack Double Coston!” Steven resumed his attack, the Knight destroying Jordan's Double Coston and reducing his Life Points to 3200. “I'll set one card facedown and, since I didn't Normal Summon this turn, I'll sacrifice my Gren Maju Da Eiza for Summoned Skull (2500/1200) and leave you at threat. Your move.”
Jordan remained cool. While Steven went about his Battle Phase the perfect combination of moves came to him. Artemis told me…that when you have something big, nothing should stop it. That facedown Steven set could screw up everything I have. Jordan pulled one card from his wide hand. “I begin with this card, Mystical Space Typhoon! It's mighty gale can destroyed one card on the field, so I choose to destroy your facedown card!” He declared, the Set card shivered in the wind before finally it was blown off of a corner and whipped away in the gale: Trap Hole.
On the rail, Judai and Sho watched the Duel from up high. “Wow, a Trap Hole! It's a simple card but played at the right time it can foil any plan!” Sho's mouth gaped in awe.
“Next I'll activate Monster Reborn to bring back Double Coston!” Jordan followed through to bring back his monster. “Now Double Coston has a nifty trick. If I'm about to sacrifice a Dark-attribute monster that requires to sacrifices, I can use Double Coston instead of two monsters. So goodbye Double Coston, hello Dark Magician of Chaos (2800/2600)!” Jordan announced his blobs vanishing for a powerful darkly mage, much alike to that of the King of Game's Magician of Black Chaos.
Daitokuji smiled, “Impressive, I don't think something like that could be pulled with the deck he had previously.” The audience's jaws hung like wind chimes.
“When Dark Magician of Chaos comes to the field, I can recover on Spell Card from my Graveyard. So I'll bring back Mystical Space Typhoon to my hand.” Jordan was on a roll as his Battle Phase began. “Dark Magician of Chaos! Attack Shadowknight Archfiend with Oblivion Blast!” The Magician let his staff float in front of him as his hand gestures flashed from one pose to another. Finally he grabbed his staff and threw the head towards Shadowknight's horse-skull. The monster shattered in tiny shards and Steven's Life Points hit 2700. “Also, whenever Dark Magician of Chaos attacks and destroys a monster, it doesn't go to the Graveyard, it's removed from the game.”
“So be it.” Steven cursed. And because it was sent out of play, I can't use Pandemonium's effect.
“To end I'll set another card facedown behind Dark Magician of Chaos.” Jordan finished. Steven hoped for a draw, but received nothing.
“I'll switch Summoned Skull to defense mode and set one monster in facedown defense.” Steven challenged.
“I'm not falling for that bluff. I activate my trap card, Compulsory Evacuation Device! This card returns one monster to your hand so I choose your Summoned Skull.” Jordan triggered the trap, forcing Summoned Skull from the field. Steven cursed and signaled the end of his turn.
Jordan drew. “I now summon Breaker the Magical Warrior (1600/1000) to the field, and he gains one Spell Counter when he's summoned successful, increasing his attack by 300.” The monster standing next to the Dark Magician of Chaos was clothed in red armor, holding a sword and shield of great magic.
The students were amazed that Steven was drawn to a corner, and still with over half his Life Points left.
Jordan smiled in victory, I wish Artemis could see this. “Breaker, attack his facedown card! Swordslay Magic!” He wasted no time coming to his Battle Phase. The red Spellcaster effortlessly flew through the defense monster, La Jinn the Mystical Genie of the Lamp (1800/1000). Steven was wide open. “Dark Magician of Chaos, end this! Oblivion Blast!” An explosion of magic from the magician staff thrashed through Steven, knocking his Life Points to 0.
Daitokuji raise his hand, “This Duel is over! The winner is Jordan Sabre!” The crowd cheered in announcement. Steven proudly stepped up to Jordan after the holograms were deactivated and offered handshake.
“Good Duel man.” He congratulated.
“Thanks, you too.” Jordan answered, complying with the handshake. Steven looked like he had something to admit.
“Actually, I'm not the toughest Duelist.” He said.
“Of course not, I just beat you!” Jordan cheered.
“No, not that. Before you got here, Yosho and I had a Duel…he beat me.” Steven looked up to the railing as Yosho grabbed his Duel Disk.
“My turn!” Loki cheered.
Jordan's jaw dropped from placement. “Can I ask what kind of deck HE plays?”
Yosho trotted forward. “You'll just have to find out yourself.” Yosho's Duel Disk activated as he shuffled his large deck. Daitokuji passed a warning glance to Jordan.
“Are you sure you want to do another Duel, Jordan? Yosho's deck is powerful enough to disprove the 40-card theory.” The teacher said.
“40-card theory? Oh you mean the deck minimum of 40 cards.” Jordan caught on fast as to what Daitokuji meant. “I'm game! Let's do this! Yosho can't be as bad as Steven.” The Duel Disks were reset to 4000 each, Daitokuji taking the referee position again.
“Alright, looks like our next duel is Yosho Loki versus Jordan Sabre. Begin!” He announced.
“I think I'll start things off with this! Thunder Nyan Nyan (1900/800)!” Yosho announced. Before his was his first monster, a female Neko drummer surrounded by her equipment. “I'll also equip Black Pendant to her and call it a turn.” Yosho ended turn as a black gem necklace became the Nyan Nyan's accessory.
Wow, Yosho made a pretty good start. Jordan thought and looked to his hand with a wide smirk. But so have I. “I'll set one monster facedown and set one card behind it. You're up.” Jordan played quickly.
Yosho drew his next card. “Sorry but no trap today from you facedown monster.” Yosho announced, “I play Nobleman of Crossout. Removing your facedown monster from the game.” A nimble soldier appeared in silver armor and blonde curly hair under his helm. He leaped up and pinned his sword through the facedown Cyber Jar, making the monster vanish from the game. “Figured as much.” Yosho shrugged and continued his turn. “Now I'll summon Asura Priest (1700/1200) in attack mode.” Next to Thunder Nyan Nyan, a spiritual blue being with four arms and four faces circling the head appeared.
“Not quite, go facedown card! Bottomless Trap Hole!” Jordan countered. “There's no possible way you can counter this card, you don't have any traps!” A hole appeared under the Priest's feet and it plummeted through, disappearing into the pit.
“Well, nothing left to worry about.” Yosho smirked, “So Thunder Nyan Nyan attacks you directly, with Rolling Thunder Rhythm!” Thunder Nyan Nyan worked up a rumbling beat with shock waves powerful enough to send Jordan back, reducing his Life Points to 1600. “Alright, that ends my turn.” Yosho looked proud of his first hit.
Daitokuji nodded, “And Yosho still keeps the theory exception.”
Jordan looked about his hand. “So I can keep myself in, I play Heavy Storm to blow away Thunder Nyan Nyan's Black Pendant.” He said as a massive storm ripped the necklace from Nyan Nyan's neck. “Then it's one monster in defense mode and end my turn.”
“Don't forget when Black Pendant is destroyed you take 500 points of damage.” Yosho informed before drawing his next card. “I'll play this spell Card, Spring of Rebirth. And I summon another Asura Priest to the field.” Continuing, another spirit monster much as the first came to the field. “No traps, OK, Asura Priest attacks your facedown monster.” He said without care. The four-limbed priest launched an array of daggers, only to have the blades freeze in the air before dropping to the ground. “What?”
“There's a reason I played Heavy Storm, it was to protect my Mystical Elf (800/2000), the monster you just attacked!” Jordan revealed the blue female elf dressed in a plain green gown. Yosho's Life Points tripped to 3700.
“Doesn't matter, I get my Life Points back and more. I'll first set one card facedown and end my turn. Asura Priest comes back to my hand and Spring of Rebirth gives me 500 Life Points.” Yosho ended his turn with his Life Points coming to 4200.
Jordan drew, and grinned widely.
Yosho interrupted, “Upon your Draw Phase, I activate my face-down, Robbin' Goblin!”
“Oh well,” Jordan brushed it aside. “I'll sacrifice my Mystical Elf to summon Cybernetic Magician (2400/1000)!” The elf disappeared, making room for a magician dressed in cloaks of white over paled skin and blonde hair. Yosho seemed unfazed, as the turned was hurried into Battle Phase. “Cybernetic Magician, attack Thunder Nyan Nyan!” Holding a thin scepter, the magician threw a magic stream powerful enough to jolt through Thunder Nyan Nyan and send the Neko off the field and reduce Yosho's Life Points to 3700. “And I'll set one card facedown and call it quits here.” Jordan finished.
Yosho was left with little resort. “I'll throw a monster in defense mode and end my turn.”
Jordan's draw was so good for him that he couldn't contain his excitement. “I activate the spell card Soul Exchange, it allows me to use one of your monsters to sacrifice for one of mine! So I'll sacrifice your Set monster with my Cybernetic Magician to summon…the Dark Magician (2500/2100)!” Plumes of smoke swallowed both monsters and brought forth the infamous Spellcaster in the purple clad and armor. “Then I activate this, Dedication through Light and Darkness!” Upon the card's activation, a dark fog surrounded the Dark Magician, almost to the point where the Dark Magician was covered with no trace.
The fog soon lifted, and the opposing power of the Dark Magician of Chaos (2800/2600) returned. Everyone stared in wonder. Judai watched from his perch in the second-floor rail. “Seriously? He managed to pull off the Dark Magician of Chaos twice?” He commented. “I've certainly got competition.” Judai smiled.
“I don't know Judai…” Sho thought otherwise, “Daitokuji-sensei said that Yosho can win a Duel with a deck over the 40-card limit.”
Jordan wasn't finished. “Now we all know Dark Magician of Chaos' initial effect right? It brings back a Spell Card I used previously, so welcome back Heavy Storm.” The Spell Card ejected from his Duel Disk. “Though you're lucky, because I used Soul Exchange, I can't attack this turn. So I'll end my turn here.” Jordan said. Steven finished his manga and crossed his fingers for Yosho's victory.
Yosho drew his next card and muttered something with his eyes close before he started his turn. “I summon Kaiser Sea Horse (1700/1650) in defense mode!” He said, summoning a sea serpent warrior armed with a spear but kneeling in a protective position. “I also set one card facedown and end my turn.”
Daitokuji looked on in thought to himself. Yosho has a way to knock out the Dark Magician of Chaos? Well, it's his Duel. Jordan began his next turn and getting cocky quick.
“I summon Double Coston (1700/1650) to the field in attack mode!” Jordan declared and summoned the blobs.
That's it…now if you just attack with the Coston… Yosho thought with his own hopes high.
“Time to make a major dent in your Life Points! Double Coston, attack Kaiser Sea Horse!” Jordan commanded, his summoned monster leaping into action and destroying Kiaser Sea Horse.
“Yes! You've just activated my trap card, Michizure! It triggers when one of my monsters it destroyed! Kaiser Sea Horse may be going down, but the Dark Magician of Chaos is going with it!” Yosho countered as a fissure from under Kaiser Sea Horse cracked under the Dark Magician of Chaos. Just as the Dark Magician fell halfway through the fissure, he vanished.
Not only that, but at anytime that the Dark Magician of Chaos is removed from the field, it is permanently removed from play. Daitokuji thought amongst himself. Yosho's still got it. Jordan twitched when he saw his Dark Magician be defeated.
“No way…my best monster…gone…” Jordan muttered.
“I'm going to assume that ends your turn?” Yosho asked, getting a slow nodded in return from an otherwise petrified Jordan. Yosho drew and sighed. “Fortunately for you I'll have to pass this turn, nothing to go by here.” Jordan looked down on his deck and peeled his next card from the top of the stack.
“I set one monster facedown and Double Coston attacks directly!” Jordan waste no time and sent his Undead figures to attack Yosho, dropping his Life Points to 2000. “That ends my turn.” Jordan said, feeling the blaze of confidence burst around him.
Yosho began his turn with half his Life Points remaining. Despite the plunge, he smiled. “I play Nobleman of Extermination! This Nobleman removes a facedown Spell or Trap card of my liking, so there goes your facedown card.” Yosho declared as a more brutal soldier destroyed Magician's Circle. “And that…has to end my turn unfortunately.”
Jordan drew his next card, Snatch Steal. No dice, Yosho doesn't have any face-up monsters… Jordan thought. “I'll just have my Double Coston attack you again!” Jordan called, his monster attacking once more and dropping Yosho to his last 300 points. “End turn.”
Steven looked on. I don't think I've ever seen Loki struggle this much for cards… He thought as the Duel looked like it was going down in action.
Yosho drew and grinned. “Finally. I remove Asura Priest and Thunder Nyan Nyan from the graveyard to summon my Soul of Purity and Light (2000/1800)!” Yosho announced. Around is shoulders appeared a transparent spiritual figure with wings sheltering his body, her arms rested over his shoulders. After a moment she looked up on Jordan, her eyes emitted a vengeful gaze. “I give my Soul this Spell Card, Cestus of Dagla! It increases her attack points by 500 and my Life Points increase with the battle difference whenever she is in battle.” In her hands, the angel received a pair of gilded blades wrapped around her knuckles of each hand.
Jordan gulped.
“Soul of Purity and Light, attack Double Coston!” Yosho commanded. His monster rose up high enough to have a good view of the Duel. She posed both blades forward and fired a double-shot of lightning that tore through the pair of creatures and reduced Jordan's Life Points to 800 while increasing Yosho's to 1100. “On top of that Robbin' Goblin activates. When I inflict Battle Damage, you lose one card from your hand at random.” Selectively, the Duel Disk forced Snatch Steal from Jordan's hand through a series of jolts. “And that ends my turn.”
Jordan stood with his confidence shaken once more. He swore up and down that he absolutely needed Snatch Steal to turn the Duel into his favor by taking control of Soul of Purity and Light. His hand quaked over his deck as he drew his card. “I'll activate Heavy Storm again.” He said, the gale destroying all of Yosho's Spell and Trap cards. “That ends my turn.”
Turn came to Yosho as the Duel seemed to lag on with only signs of a deck-out, a third of the crowd began to retreat to their rooms for the night. “I'll set one card facedown behind Soul of Purity and Light and have her attack your facedown monster.” Yosho jumped to his attack as the angel released a wave of magic, but it unmoved the shelves of books that divided Jordan from the field.
“You hit my Royal Magical Library (0/2000), which has a defense equal to your attack.” Jordan counted.
“Fine, my turns done here.” Yosho finished, his legs numbing under him from the brisk ocean breeze.
Daitokuji kept his mark in the center. Should I call this Duel off? It is getting late and classes begin tomorrow. He concerned himself. Maybe just a few more turns…
Jordan drew his next card. “Nothing.” He cursed under-breath, “I'll set one monster facedown and call it quits.” Again the Duel appeared to go into falling action, even Steven gave up to a foregone conclusion and went to the bedroom, shutting off the music just as it ended it's tenth time around.
Yosho began his tenth turn and again forwarded his attack. “Soul of Purity and Light will attack your facedown monster!” The hand beams from the angel revealed the fragile Mirage Dragon (1600/600) vanishing to dust. “I'll then set another card and end my turn.”
The turns traveled fast, again dipping into falling actions as Hayate lost interest. “I set another monster and end my turn.” Jordan said, desperate to get something to overpower the Soul of Purity and Light.
Yosho didn't need to explain as a Spell Card came to his hand. “I equip Soul with Malevolent Nuzzler, increasing her attack power by 700 points.” He briefed as the Soul of Purity and Light lost its Purity and Light.
“My Royal Magical Library's effect kicks in. Each time you or I play a Spell Card, my Library gains one spell Counter.” Jordan claimed.
“Big deal, I'm destroying it anyway.” Yosho said casually, “Soul! Attack Royal Magical Library!” His monster rose up from his shoulders once more and flew through the library, scattering the books and destroying the shelves. “And that ends my turn here.”
Jordan was left with one facedown monster and only one pointless card in his hand. Only his draw of the turn could aid him even slightly, “I summon Twin-Headed Behemoth (1500/1200) in defense mode. That ends my turn.” On the tone of his voice he felt he could only give up.
“Alright, doing this now, I activate the trap card Solar Ray!” Yosho flipped his trap, “This card deals 600 points of damage per light monster I have in my possession so your Life Points drop to 200.” Jordan felt himself hanging on the fringes of his Life Points. “Now my Soul of Purity and Light attacks your Twin-Headed Behemoth!” Again the angel sliced through the double-header of a Dragon and destroyed it instantaneously. “I'll then set this card and finish my turn here.”
“Don't forget when you end your turn my Twin-Headed Behemoth comes back a second time around.” Jordan interrupted and his monster came back upon his draw. The card he held could prove worthy to try and turn this Duel around.
Daitokuji saw the concentrated expression on Jordan's face. I believe Jordan will end this Duel in his favor…
“I set one card facedown, and end my turn.” Jordan finished with a card appearing behind the Dragon.
Yosho drew and groaned. Another worthless trap… “I set one card and call it a turn.”
Judai leaned over the railing in admiration, watching the duel with excitement since the first. “Jordan's awesome, I don't think I've seen anyone hold up a duel this long and with only 200 left.” He commented.
“I'll have to admit that is pretty impressive.” Hayate opened the door to the room, apparently not asleep yet. “I've only known Steven and Yosho for a year and they beat me in nothing flat. But when they duel each other, they usually last twice as long as this, almost to the point of Deck-out.”
“Seriously?”
“Seriously.”
Yosho found his deck almost half-gone when he drew. Another lowly groan escaped his throat. “Another card facedown.” He said, setting another card to his row. “Soul of Purity and Light, attacks Twin-Headed Behemoth again!”
“Wrong! Sakuretsu Armor! It destroys your monster immediately when you declare an attack!” Jordan countered, the Dragon's scales suddenly shaped into harder plates that negated the Soul's attack and made her vanish on impact.
“Aw man…end turn.” Yosho brushed it aside.
“This is it, if any sort of attack makes contact to either of their Life Points, it's game.” Sho observed. Jordan drew his card and the grin glistened in the night.
“I summon Archfiend Soldier (1900/1500)!” Jordan announced, summoning a powerful monster strong enough for an attack.
“I activate in response, Call of the Haunted! This summons back Kaiser Sea Horse in attack mode!” Yosho activated his trap and calling forth the same sea serpent monster. Jordan looked at it briefly.
“In that case, I flip summon my facedown monster, Skilled White Magician (1700/1900)!” Jordan called, conjuring a magician in white robes. “And now, Skilled White Magician attacks Kaiser Sea Horse!” Jordan could feel the heat of the battle roar with inferno as he felt the confidence inside him explode.
“They'll both be destroyed!” Yosho cried.
“That's my aim! It clears your field and opens up Archfiend Soldier's path to your Life Points!” Jordan answered. Just as staff and spear clashed between the white mage and sea serpent warrior, the Archfiend leaped over the stalemate with blade held high, eclipsing the rising moon. The sound of sword slicing on one sweep ended the Duel.
“That's hit, Jordan is the victor!” Datokuji announced. The remaining crowd cheered for Jordan's victory, even Yosho couldn't help but hold up a smile and approached Jordan before the crowd collapsed in.
He offered his hand for a shake. “Jordan, it was a pleasure to get my butt kicked by you.” Yosho congratulated with a wide smile. Jordan was eager to accept and grasped his hand.
“Thanks! You're not bad yourself!” Jordan replied.
Daitokuji approached the two boys. “An excellent display of dueling on both parts, and to you Steven.” He acknowledged the defeated of the previous duel and turned back to Jordan. “A splendid performance indefinitely on your part Jordan. Your deck proves quite boastful in the Spellcaster range.” Jordan couldn't help but blush.
“Thank you Daitokuji-sensei. I'm working to be the best Spellcaster duelist, maybe even as good as Yugi!” Jordan vowed.
Daitokuji nodded, “A goal worthwhile indeed. Though a few wrinkles to iron out but that is what you're here for correct? Well with all excitement done, I believe we should all head for bed. Class scheduling begins tomorrow. Let's go, Pharaoh.” Daitokuji finished, picking up his cat before heading inside.
“Man I wish Artemis was here.” Jordan cheered for himself while he walked up the stairs to his room, breathing another sigh of relief to have a quiet night.