Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: The Second Story ❯ Artemis' Pet Peeve ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 5 - Artemis' Pet Peeve
 
Jade brushed her hair continuously, both of her ties around one wrist. She tried to look busy to herself but inside she was concerned about her roommate. After she was satisfied that her brush couldn't snap any more knots, she glanced at a clock: 6:50pm. Jade groaned, parting her green hair in two and just finished tying one side when a knuckle tapped on her door. She perked up, “Artemis?”
“No, not Artemis. I just wanted to tell you the reception begin in ten minutes, might want to leave now,” a voice indifferent said outside. Jade sighed and tied in her other pigtail.
“I wonder how Artemis is doing. Rumor about the second- and third-year is that Saphira is really strict and short-tempered.” Jade pondered to herself. She finished tidying herself and paced to the door, unlocking it just as someone from the other side had jiggled the handle. “Wha?” The door opened before her to a familiar face: brown ponytail, hazel eyes, and an open Yellow Blazer, with her quartz necklace sitting on her black shirt. Jade's eyes sparkled with a hint of yellow, making a beautiful auburn tint. “You-you actually got the blazer!” she stammered.
Artemis nodded, “Not to mention I have first dibs to a class I want to schedule. So what are we waiting for? I smell seafood in the Galley.” she invited. Jade didn't hesitate to lock the door and follow Artemis down to the dining hall. They gathered themselves and moved towards the basement where the Galley was. As the bedrooms, the galley was polished from ceiling to floor, walls with a pale yellow and carpet was an off-white color. The organization was lined with three long tables, ends from the main entrance down to the large windows in the rear; beside it were two columns of buffet sitting. Several students were already present, Daichi already scribbling notes on a napkin at his spot.
They heard more of the students coming and quickly grabbed spots by Daichi, firsts on the buffet. Jade came back with a light helping of mozzarella sticks and a glass of lemon/lime soda; Artemis on the other hand had a full plate of shrimp scampi and several crab legs with a glass of cola. They both took places across from Daichi, Artemis quickly tucking away her Duel Disk under her seat. “Daichi, moving in went well, I take it?” Jade greeted.
“I feel at home already.” Daichi replied cheerfully, “My next door neighbors are quite a nice group, too: Kokuro Samé and Jonburu Geraro should be coming shortly as far as I know, Kokuro came with us and Jonburu is a second-year here.” Daichi explained without formal introduction.
“I see.” Artemis said, taking interest in them already.
Daichi looked up. “Here comes one of them now.” he seated himself next to Artemis, unaware of her presence. His spikes of brass-colored hair glowed in contrast to his suntanned skin, appears reasonable since the school was on an island and the only way to get around was walking, and even his small gold studs radiated in the chandeliers in the hall. The yellow blazer had the sleeves rolled up all the way to the shoulders, showing off his toned biceps down to black bands just above his wrists. His plate was a relatively large piece of medium-rare steak.
“Hey Daichi, more freshmen already?” he greeted, jumping up in shock when he saw Artemis' face, “Whoa, freshwoman!”
“WHAT WAS THAT?!” Artemis roared fiercely, making Jonburu stumble back on his chair and hit the ground back first and winding him; at least the steak was spared, sitting on the table where Jonburu placed it. Jade blinked blankly and looked around to see Jonburu on the floor.
“Bottom floor: that must hurt…” she commented.
“Ah yes, Jonburu. These two are Artemis and Jade, they're first-year with me,” Daichi introduced, “And it's apparent that Artemis has a few issues to cope with.” Jonburu climbed up to his feet with a nervous smile.
“My bad, my bad; I just assumed you were a guy with the blazer.” Jonburu suggested. Artemis was still steamed but was rational enough to explain briefly.
“I am Artemis Minh, and I did not like the female dress code, so I asked Saphira-san if I could wear the blazer instead. After consulting with Headmaster Kaiba, I was permitted to wear this.” She explained, dumbfounding him and Daichi. Artemis reached for one of her crab claws.
“But still, I thought all females had to wear the ski-” Jonburu's vowel couldn't be completed due to the sound of crackling. Artemis' fist was drenched in the broth of which the crab was boiled in; she released the claw from her fingers, the shell was fractured like the tectonic plates in the earth. Jonburu gulped.
Daichi couldn't help but get a hearty laugh out of this. “This is funny. Lately, Jonburu had told me much of the activities he partakes in: baseball, volleyball, weight training. Not to mention he has valuable artistic skills, you've got competition Artemis.”
“Hey, I thought I felt a tremor here.” Another male came forward with brown hair and optimistic green eyes. He looked at Jonburu still winded, “Well, there goes the saying, `the bigger they come, the harder they fall.' So who should I congratulate?”
“Artemis was the one that brought him down, actually.” Daichi was still enjoying himself, but trying to settle down so he could eat his stew. Jade jumped up with excitement. “You two, this is the fifth name listed on the Ra Yellow list.”
“Oh-oh-oh! I know you! You're Kokuro Samé! I watched your Duel! That was awesome the way you beat Professor!” Jade identified instantly. Kokuro returned with a kind grin and seated himself next to Daichi.
“Thanks…” Kokuro couldn't find the name placement.
“Oh Kokuro, these two are Artemis and Jade. Fair warning, do not mistake Artemis.” Daichi reintroduced.
“Yeah, yeah, Artemis and Jade. Alright.” Kokuro seated himself and began the round of table talk as more and more of the students arrived, including Hikari taking a seat at the head of the middle table and enjoying himself, a rare moment among the second- and third-year students.
“Anymore Ra Yellows we should meet? I mean I enjoy the polite attributes but I don't think you really need to introduce everyone to every single person, Daichi.” Artemis said with a creeping smile.
“It's no trouble Artemis.” He answered.
“Someone's enjoying first day too much…” Jonburu aside.
 
The eating was all with mumbles of partnering diners talking. Even the small group had their moments of conversation. Clear out of the blue, there was a squeal of girls as a third of the room's attendance went to the door, majority of them in the yellow skirts. Artemis and Jade were both confused at the scene, and none of the guys left their seats.
Jonburu had a disgusted look. “Great…first day and he probably wants to tackle bait for the freshmen girls.” Artemis and Jade looked to him with the hinting question. “He's Harrison Wolfram, a third-year Obelisk Blue. Some call him Mr. Center-of-the-Universe, behind his back. Let me tell you something, he's not cocky, his remarks are bragging rights.”
“Bragging rights?” Artemis asked while getting up to her feet to get a better view from the crowd's back. She saw the newcomer clearly over the swarm of infatuated fan girls. His white shoulder-length hair shimmered gracefully around his head, and his eyes appear to be the lure that attracted almost all the girls in the dorm. She twisted her head back towards Hikari's spot but he seemed absent for the scene.
“Should I ask what happens next, Jon?”
“Watch yourself. Wolfram will ring in any stragglers he sees.” He answered. It was an odd thing to happen afterwards, the Obelisk Blue caught eye over the heads of the swarming girls; definitely looking at the two that didn't catch the wave. The older students knew him well; the freshmen were just hooked by his looks. Artemis wasn't impressed and Jade shied herself behind the group. The fanning group suddenly broke into two halves, making an aisle for Harrison to walk towards the two girls unattended.
He approached with a grand grin of confidence, behind him the girls were staring daggers at Artemis and Jade. Jade ducked farther behind Daichi. “He's creepy…” She whispered. The Obelisk Blue passed Artemis without notice of her presence and looked to Jade.
“What's wrong, Little Ra?” He said, trying to sound assuring but only made things worse for Jade's fearfulness. Jade was completely behind Daichi now, out of Harrison's sight. Kokuro's eye twitched and Jonburu stepped in with arms crossed over his chest.
“What's wrong? I see two things: you're scaring the color out of a freshman and you're intruding on our banquet.” Jonburu answered sternly, almost looking down on Harrison with an above-average height for his age.
Harrison brushed it aside, “And who are you, a second-year Ra, to stand up to me, a third-year Obelisk?” He took a glance around the five Yellow's he was facing, the males all shared the same gaze but not as dark as Jonburu's. His eyes then landed on Artemis, “I'm not scaring you, aren't I?” Harrison asked.
“Me?” Artemis perked before she adverted her gaze, “hardly. I haven't heard of you until now.”
“I thought you'd be more informed. And why wear a blazer, a pretty lady like you should show it off.” Harrison glazed a sly smile on his face. “Tell ya what, we can go out. I can call for my family's yacht and we can have a meal there together.” He interrupted himself, “Where are my manners?” Harrison kneeled to the floor and took a hand from Artemis. “My name is Harrison Wolfram, third-year Obelisk Blue. And you are?” Artemis didn't seem to mind Harrison's change of attitude from a self-indulged campus celebrity to a humble duelist.
“I am Artemis Minh, and feel free to cut the act at anytime.” Artemis answered with the shade of voice that said otherwise, `get the heck away from me.' Harrison rose to his feet, brushing his pants off.
“Artemis: the Greek Goddess of the moon and hunter.” Harrison said under his breath, but enough for Artemis to hear. “You truly are a Goddess in my book, now you just have to take my offer.”
“How about I don't.” Artemis made her reply, a crowd gasped behind Harrison as he just snickered.
“I know why. You're a tomboy, not of the skirt-wearing type. Though I truly recommen-” Wolfram's words were cut away by a blow to his chest. While he was busy listening to himself talk Artemis took the opportunity and nailed a hand blow to the center of his blazer. Her distance was too perfect; she was able to force all her might into a target, three-quarters of her arm's length. It was enough to make him stumble back several steps. The girls were taken aback when Harrison recoiled, only Jade looked surprise of Artemis' action coming from her side. Wolfram caught breath quickly, his humble attribute long-since gone from his persona. “What…was that for?” Artemis came back into her stand.
“The day I go out with you is the day I lose to you in a duel.” Artemis began, emphasizing everything else after her phrase. “The day I wear a mini-skirt is the day you perverted nimrods are six-feet-under!”
“Is that a challenge, Minh?” Harrison spat back, “Hasn't anyone warned you that a Ra should never mess with an Obelisk? Especially a freshman Ra confronting an Obelisk is deadly to your confidence.” He smiled grimly.
“Bring it on, Fluffy.” Artemis insulted, “Though it might be a good idea to take this outside, say the Ra Yellow Duel arena?” She fished out the Duel Disk with her foot and threw it into the air, her right arm inserted it perfectly and a click clasped it securely. Harrison laughed maniacally.
“Humiliated in front of your peers and in your own dorm, this will be great! I'll show you and all you freshmen no one messes with Harrison Wolfram!”
 
Artemis wasted no time leading Harrison to the Ra Yellow Arena, which doubled as the formal dance hall but the tables and chairs were in storage. The rest of the students filed into the stadium seats around the arena; Artemis' group joined together with Jade in the securities of Jonburu and Kokuro, Daichi taking the end seat next to Jonburu. Chatter rose from the crowd like waves in a lake, often there were explosions of cheers screaming for Harrison, even most of the freshmen girls were part of the swarm.
Daichi leaned over to Jonburu, “You're second-year right? You seem to know Harrison well. What deck does he use?” Daichi asked.
“You first.” Jonburu stated, “You're a freshman with Artemis so you should know what she has.”
Daichi informed bleakly: “I couldn't say. Most of her monsters are Warriors, Level 4 or lower from what I've seen. This is my second watch of her dueling but I haven't seen her use any sacrifice monsters.”
“She swears she uses them scarcely.” Jade added in, “She only has one Level 5 monster.” Jonburu raised a brow. “But she didn't even need that monster to defeat Mokuba-senpai.”
“I see…then Artemis might have a chance. Harrison plays a unique deck and quite powerful at fact.” Jonburu briefed, “His deck has no Effect monsters whatsoever, and his starts are mostly 1900's.” The rest of them were in shock, even Kokuro leaned forward to get a good look at Jonburu.
Artemis' and Harrison's Duel Disks sprang to life with 4000 Life Points each and their hands drawn. “Tomboys first.” Harrison tried to insult.
“Taken as a compliment, Wolfram. And I think for my first move it'll be one monster Set and that'll do it.” Artemis started off with a Set card hovering just in front of her. Harrison lifted his sixth card from his hand and smirked with much of his boding confidence.
“That's all, a Set Monster? You're so easy! I summon Vorse Raider (1900/1200) in attack mode!” Harrison announced, releasing from its card a wicked Beast-Warrior with an even more wicked weapon in his hands, the blade scarred from several battles beforehand. “Vorse Raider! Attack her facedown card with Blood Thirst Slash!” Wolfram commanded, sending his monster to attack Artemis. The blade landed on the shield of a minor knight plated in silver. “A Familiar Knight (1200/1400)!” He recognized when the knight was destroyed.
“So you know what it does? Then I'll make it brief, Familiar Knight's destruction summons Command Knight (1200/1900) from my hand in defense mode! Familiar Knight allows you to summon one Level 4 monster from your hand as well.” Artemis countered, raising the female knight to the field. Harrison couldn't place a monster, giving Jonburu the permission to look surprised.
“That's a first, the only summon-managed monster he had was Vorse Raider.” Jonburu commented.
“I'll end my turn with one card facedown.” Harrison concluded with a Set card behind his monster card alignment. Artemis drew another card and looked up.
An Obelisk Blue this time; as Chronos, caution is a matter. She calculated in her head. “I summon Legacy Hunter (1000/1500) to the field in attack mode!” She commended her summons to a male warrior, looking lower in the ranks, almost like he was Don Zaloog's previous position in militia rank. Artemis hesitated, waiting for Harrison to do something about it. In the pause, Command Knight raised her sword with her battle cry, Legacy Hunter following with his small knife raised. “I then activate this Spell Card, Axe of Despair, giving Legacy Hunter an additional 1000 attack points!”
“That's where I stop! Go Magic Jammer!” Harrison countered and discarded his only monster in his hand. Artemis' Axe vanished from the hologram display. Many of the girls cheered in the foil of plan; Harrison turned around and waved, acknowledging the support. “Thank you, thank you.”
“The A. Forces!” Artemis' declaration made Harrison gag and turn attention back to his opponent.
“What?!”
Kokuro leaned forward. “Artemis is one resourceful character.” He commented.
“The Power Ploy! Way to go, Artemis!” Jade's cheering bounced off the walls and echoed through as if there was a crowd applauding. The guys gazed Jade slightly confused before Daichi and Kokuro got what she meant.
“Of course, the infamous Sleight-of-Spell.” Daichi leaned back on his chair. “Now with The A. Forces in play, all of Artemis' Warriors will gain additional attack points as the number of Warriors grow. As it stands, Command Knight is at 2000 and Legacy Hunter is at 1800.” The A. Forces pulsed and the Warriors felt their power increase.
“And now Wolfram's in for a world of hurt! You go girl!” Jonburu could help but boost the cheering alongside Jade.
“I now switch Command Knight into attack mode. Have at you Vorse Raider! Allied Sword Thrust!” Artemis jumped to her attack as Command Knight's sword punctured through Vorse Raider, weapon and all, even two inches of the sword sticking from the back. A moment later there was a gargled noise from Vorse Raider as Command Knight pulled the sword away and the Raider collapsed, shattering into triangular shards when he hit the ground.
Harrison hid his hothead as his Life Points went to 3900 and about to go for a deep slide.
“Legacy Hunter, attack Wolfram's Life Points directly!” Artemis commanded her second attack as the weaker warrior made a horizontal slash upon Wolfram, making his Life Points stop at 2100. “That ends my turn, buddy.”
Harrison winced with his humiliation. She will pay. She WILL pay. He grumbled and drew his card, saving it for later. “I play this Spell Card, Dark Factory of Mass Production.” Artemis looked confused for a moment. “Looks like you don't know what it does. Well I'll tell you for your sake. This Spell Card retrieves two Normal Monsters I lost in this game and add them back to my hand, mainly the Vorse Raider you destroyed and the Neo Aqua Madoor I discarded for Magic Jammer.” He explained, the named cards popping out of the Duel Disk's graveyard slot.
Jade watched on, “I thought with Artemis' deck made up of solely Effect Warriors, she'd beat him no problem.”
“Don't under estimate a third-year Obelisk.” Jonburu said, “There are very specific reasons why he's in Obelisk Blue. Commonly among others it's their relations to famous duelists, money, or extraordinary feats in duels.”
“Looks like Harrison's all three right there.” Kokuro commented.
“Rumor has it he has a goal to revive Industrial Illusions, at least that's what I heard from Iago.” Jonburu again made everyone around him freeze. The interruption of footsteps made them all turn to two more attendants: Hikari, with dark eyes and hair, and another male student with a lizard green crewcut and brown eyes. Noted, no relation to Jade at all.
“Care to explain what is going on or do I have to report this?” Hikari said sternly while looking to the arena. Jonburu stood up.
“Harrison Wolfram made the challenge to Artemis Minh.” He stated.
“One of our freshmen, against a third-year Obelisk? Hm…” Hikari rethought with a concentrated gaze on the duel. The student still was standing next to him. “Let's see what she got, I was busy with Kokuro while she was dueling.” A glare made Kokuro sweat secretly.
“Welcome back Vorse Raider!” Harrison summoned his monster once more. “And as an added bonus, I give Vorse Raider this Equip Spell Card, Gravity Axe - Grarl!” The previous weapon in the Raider's hands vanished, replaced with an even bigger battleaxe. “Not only does it increase Vorse Raider's attack by 500, but it also prevents your monsters from switching their battle positions.” He paused for dramatic effect, waiting for Artemis to cringe but got nothing in return. “Looking fearless will do nothing for you! Vorse Raider, strike down her Legacy Hunter!” The Vorse Raider threw the axe over his head and slammed down above the Warrior, a sickening slash of metal destroyed it and dropped Artemis' Life Points to 3400.
Artemis shook it off after shielding her eyes, a stiff gaze still locked on Wolfram.
“Then its one card facedown and I'll end my turn.” Harrison finished. The crowds on either end were tense. No one was talking as all eyes were locked on either duelist they were rooting for. Even Daichi couldn't help but stare in wonder.
“It's very intriguing. Usually, by judgment, a freshman Ra Yellow would be devastated by a third-year Obelisk Blue, solely on the fact that a third-year has more experience.” He said technically.
“Surprises me too.” Jonburu agreed, “Then again this is only going on to Turn 3.” Artemis drew her card, seeing she only had a Command Knight with 1800 and vulnerable to any attack now that an ally is missing.
“I'll set one monster and end my turn.” Artemis said when a card came next to her face-up warrior.
“Command Knight means so much you're going on the defense just to save it? Pathetic.” Harrison sneered. “Well, let's just see what you have down. I play Swords of Revealing Light! Unveil your Defense!” He decreed. The spikes of light struck around Artemis and forced her flip: an Amazoness Chain Master (1500/1300) kneeled in a protective pose with her chain wrapped around her arms. “Amazoness Chain Master? You wouldn't, you couldn't. Not with 3400 Life Points, it's too risky for ya.” Harrison smirked. “Vorse Raider, attack Amazoness Chain Master!” At the command, the Chain Master was slain. The slaughter ended with Harrison smiling widely, but it faded quickly.
“I use Chain Master's special ability!” Artemis declared, Amazoness Chain Master briefly escaping the Vorse Raider with near-fatal wounds. “At the cost of 1500 Life Points, I'm allowed to take a monster card from your hand and add it to mine. And because of your Dark Factory, I know exactly what I want, Neo Aqua Madoor!” The Chain Master made a final effort and threw the end of her chain, retrieving the desired monster from his hand before the Amazoness fell in defeat and shattered. Artemis placed the new card and added it to her hand. Doubt I'll need it, at least he won't have an “impenetrable” defense if he ever decides to sacrifice. But with Swords of Revealing Light, he'll get time to strike back on my Command Knight.
“I end my turn here. But let's see what you can do with three whole turns of my Swords of Revealing Light.” Harrison remarked.
Hikari kept a close watch on the duel. A costly move that might just prove beneficial… This might just be the Duelist Ra Yellow is looking for aside from Jonburu Geraro, Kokuro Samé and Daichi Misawa.
“My turn!” Artemis stated her draw. “And I'll summon this monster next, Amazoness Paladin (1700/400)!” another monster appeared with a massive 2600 attack power after aid of The A. Forces and Command Knight. “That, I end my turn.” Dang Swords…
Now she has a monster more powerful than my Vorse Raider? Not for long. Harrison smirked. “I reveal my facedown card, Black Pendant! This adds another 500 attack points to Vorse Raider!” Everyone was taken aback; even Hikari's interest was increased. “Vorse Raider! Attack Amazoness Paladin!” Vorse Raider's upgraded strength slammed into the Paladin, Artemis' group cringed in response as her Life Points dropped to 1600. “And that ends my turn. Give up, rookie.”
I'll have to do this, but at least it'll delay Wolfram from attacking. Artemis thought. “I too play Swords of Revealing Light!” She declared as the same lights surrounded Harrison. Many of the audience was disappointed. “I then set one card and end my turn.” Artemis wrapped up quickly.
Harrison grumbled and drew, “I'll set one monster to defense mode and call it a turn.” Artemis landed her mark now that it was the third turn of Harrison's Swords.
“I summon Amazoness Fighter (1300/1300), and her attack points are increased by 800!” Artemis made her summon of an unarmed female warrior with her fists wrapped with protective fabrics. “I end my turn.” The swords faded on her turn's end.
“It's interesting to know what Artemis has planned.” Daichi pondered, “Ever since she claimed Harrison's Neo Aqua Madoor, a monster that requires one sacrifice with a defense of 3000, she had had every opportunity to use that card to her advantage.”
“I told you, Artemis doesn't believe in sacrifice for the upper hand in her duels.” Jade answered Daichi's thoughts. “And she protects Command Knight with everything she has because it benefits were own army of Warriors. All of her monsters have some sort of ability that could aid the other, and even her Spell Cards give support like The A. Forces.”
The boy that followed Hikari sat a row behind them, hearing over the conversation. “When you think about it, it is an interesting strategy. It was the same strategy she used to defeat Chronos before he could get his best monster out.” Kokuro's jaw dropped.
Jonburu nodded, “You never fail to get your stories, Iago. Tell me, will that be a headliner for a school newspaper?”
“A freshman Ra defeating an admin' is nothing compared to a Slifer defeating the same admin.” Iago shook his head.
Harrison growled while still ensnared by the Swords of Revealing Light Artemis played a turn previous. “I set another monster in defense mode and end my turn.” He grumbled. Just one more turn…Artemis drew her card and concentrated.
I've got him unleveled for now, but usually the weak come back stronger than ever…usually. She pulled one card from her hand. “I play the Spell Card, Fusion Sword Murasame Blade, equipping it to my Amazoness Fighter!” Artemis declared one of her most favorable cards. The Amazoness Fighter responded by cupping a hand around her right fist, pulling out a small blade from her wraps that secured perfectly into her arm. Harrison gulped as he saw he was wide open. “Now to do something I should have done turns ago! Amazoness Fighter, attack his first facedown monster with Bladed Fist!”
The Fighter charged quickly with her right fist drawn back. Coming in close range to the card, she stabbed it into the ground, striking an Aqua Madoor (1200/2000) in his chest. His expression could not be seen under his mask as he broke apart in the traditional shattering.
“Your turn Command Knight! Hit his second facedown!” The small support group cheered right along with her as the Command Knight thrust her sword through the Insect Knight's (1900/1500) stomach. There was the screech much to that of a locust before it broke apart. “And with that comes the end of my turn.”
Harrison's eye twitched, no longer could he control his anger of humility. He became even more infuriated when his draw showed no results. “I activate this card again! Dark Factory of Mass Production, I retrieve Insect Knight and Aqua Madoor! Then I set one monster in defense mode and end my turn.” The swords vanished from his side, making the battle go on without hesitation.
Doesn't matter what he set down there's no surprises. Artemis thought after she drew. He looks humiliated…I'm aiming towards devastated. “Alright Harrison, allow me to show you a new trick!” She pulled a different card from her hand, “I play the Spell Card Raregold Armor!” In the crowds, only Jonburu, Daichi, Iago, and Hikari were taken by surprise of the stunt.
“So you're going to redirect my attacks?” Harrison asked with a pointed finger.
“Allow me to explain, what I'm about to do will make it so you can't attack me at all. I'm going to give Command Knight my Raregold Armor!” Artemis answered as Command Knight was coated with several pieces of light blue armor with gold rimming and her left hand held a thin sword with a Blue-Eyes White Dragon figure for a handle.
“So I have to hit your Command Knight. I can do that, she only has 2000 attack points.” Harrison brushed it aside.
“Oh no you can't, Wolfram.” Artemis cut him off, “Remember Command Knight's second ability? As long as there is at least one other monster on my side of the field she can't be attacked. But with Raregold Armor attached to her, she can be your one and only attack target.” She explained.
“So he's only allowed to attack Command Knight, but he can't. Good call.” Daichi simplified. “As records shows, there hasn't been any errata about two designated targets so this is legal play right here.”
“And now Amazoness Fighter, attack his facedown card!” Artemis commanded, the Amazoness Fighter struck down on Aqua Madoor, leaving a Vorse Raider with shortening patience-just waiting to attack. “And that ends my turn there.”
“Clever, I believe Artemis found the obvious weakness in Harrison's deck. Throwing his monster facedown is useless; if watched carefully, you'd notice that he used one of his monsters that he just brought back from the graveyard. So his set card can either be Aqua Madoor or Insect Knight.” Daichi explained.
Harrison hoped for something good, another equip card would have worked wonders. Instead he drew Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell. He could just throw a fit of cursing right now, but he kept his expression calm, in fact smiling. “I throw one card facedown and end my turn.” The Vorse Raider licked his lips, readied to spring.
“You know you're becoming extremely annoying and I want to go to bed now so I can schedule my classes tomorrow.” Artemis' own eye twitched from irritability and drew. “So I'll play this, Amazoness Spellcaster, it swaps the attack points of your Vorse Raider and my Amazoness Fighter.”
“Think again, I counter with this, Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell. I discard my own Spell Card to negate yours. And as an added bonus, you can no longer use Amazoness Spellcaster for the remainder of the duel.” Wolfram countered.
“Big deal. One way or another I'm sending Vorse Raider out of here! Amazoness Fighter attack!” Artemis declared with her 2900 monster attacking his.
“Are you insane? They'll both be destroyed!” Harrison cried.
“Then let them both go down, Amazoness Fighter fought valiantly today.” Artemis said with a darkening leer. Both charged each other and stopped on contact. Amazoness Fighter's Murasame struck Vorse Raider's jugular, the wound seeping blood on impact. Vorse Raider's Gravity Axe landed on Amazoness Fighter's abdomen, piercing her diaphragm. The crowd was still as both monsters pushed against each other with what little strength they had before finally falling to the ground, all signs of fatalities vanishing with them.
Artemis shared a vow of silence of her own before looking back up on the duel and Harrison proclaiming, “Because Black Pendant is destroyed you lose 500 Life Points!” He announced, seeing her Life Points drop to 1100 while he had 2200.
“As I have before, it's a risk I'll take; because Command Knight can attack you directly now!” Artemis exclaimed with her Knight striking Harrison with one swing. The impact from the Duel Disk forced him to stagger back while his Life Points dropped suddenly to 400. The support group of girls glared futilely at Artemis, she didn't mind the eyes.
“Are you done?” Harrison said, his weakness finally showing.
“Nope, one more thing. I'll play Premature Burial.” She said as a sword rose from the ground with a hand wielding it. “By paying 800 Life Points, I'm allowed to summon back one monster from my graveyard, namely, Amazoness Paladin.” The Amazoness climbed up from the ground, her skin still had color. “Oh and if you can't keep track of points, Amazoness Paladin is at 2600 attack points. Now it's your turn.”
“OK, everyone knows that there is a time when to take risks and not to take risks, right? She's at 300 Life points now!” Jonburu pointed out.
“But this is a risk that could save her in this Duel. Don't forget Raregold Armor is still on Command Knight, so as long as Artemis keeps at least two monsters on the field, she's safe from any harm.” Daichi said, “That's probably why she took that big of risk, a truly remarkable strategy.”
Harrison's anger was more than evident. I'm not giving up. Obelisks never quit. Not even in front of a Ra—a Ra FRESHMAN! He though and drew his card, his grin spread across his face. “I play Graceful Charity, drawing three cards and discarding two from my hand afterwards,” he played just as he instructed, “then I throw one monster facedown and one facedown card to end my turn.” He said with two cards appearing on the field.
Artemis made her draw. “Way. Too. Obvious.” she said with a glance back to Harrison and paused for a moment.
“What, bad draw?”
“No, good draw. Very good draw. Exceptionally good draw.” Artemis said with sarcasm at every step of the quote until her final line. “I summon Tactical Espionage Expert (1300/1200). If his summon isn't countered, no trap cards can be activated.” Harrison gulped though the facedown “trap” card was nothing but bluff. “OK, I'm ending this now! Command Knight, hit his facedown card!” At the word, Command Knight skewered through the facedown Archfiend Soldier (1900/1600). “Amazoness Paladin…end it.” She said with a stale voice. And Amazoness Paladin struck through Wolfram, the hologram producing the image that Harrison was struck through the heart from the thrust of blade.
“I can't believe it,” Harrison said dropping down to his knees. “I lost…to a tomboy freshmen of all people.”
“Maybe next time you won't underestimate your opponent just because she's at a lower rank,” Artemis said standing over him.
Up by her small cheering squad Professor Hikari stood looking down at Artemis, An interesting deck design. This girl clearly values her cards and doesn't want to see any of them sacrificed.
Daichi was also looking on with interest, “She's very clever, and she has great instincts. Wouldn't you agree Jonburu?”
Jonburu didn't say anything he just nodded lost in his own thoughts. “Well I thought it was a good duel,” Kokuro said. He then stretched up and yawned. “I don't know about you guys but just after watching that duel I'm exhausted.”
“I'm sure we could all use some sleep after watching that performance,” Daichi agreed.
“I sure hope I didn't waste any of your valuable time Professor Hikari,” Iago said standing up and walking over to him.
“Actually this was the most entertainment I've had in a while,” Professor Hikari responded.
“Considering you didn't have any fun when Kokuro handed your butt to you,” Jonburu piped in.
Kokuro began getting slightly nervous as Professor Hikari glared at him, “Well I suppose no one enjoys losing, do they Kokuro?”
“I suppose not,” Kokuro said gulping as Professor Hikari walked off and Iago followed after them. He let out a sigh of relief and then glared at Jonburu, “don't do that!”
“Sorry,” he said although Kokuro could tell he wasn't really sorry.
Artemis walked over to them and Jade ran up to her, “I'm so glad you showed that guy up. He was a real creep.”
“Thanks. Frankly, I couldn't agree more,” Artemis said.
“Well, I think it's time for bed,” Kokuro said as he began to leave, “Catch you all later,” he said waving.
“Wait for me,” Jonburu said as he walked off.
“I suppose I'll be leaving as well,” Daichi said. “Congratulations on your victory,” he said to Artemis before he left.
“Thanks,” she said. “How `bout it?” she asked turning to Jade. “Ready to get to bed? We should make sure we are well rested for when we choose our courses tomorrow.”
“Sounds good to me,” she said as they left the arena to go back to their room.
In the Slifer Red dormitory Jordan was in his bed with his blanket and pillow over his head as Weird Al sang about the joys of the multi-liquor beer. “I really need to get new roommates,” he complained as he tried to get to sleep.