Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: The Second Story ❯ Of Spellcasters and Magicians ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 6 - Of Spellcasters and Magicians
 
Jordan found his PDA vibrating on the nightstand, making a low rattle that seemed to pierce over the Weird Al marathon he's been up half the night through. He clawed at the top of the nightstand until he got a handle on it and checked the display. “Geh, first class is Deck Anatomy? I thought we have class scheduling today, and they give us a class right off the back?” He groaned.
From the second bunk up, Yosho looked upside down at Jordan. “Well yeah, all freshmen have to take Deck Anatomy first thing, that's where the class scheduling is.”
“And some of us have to repeat it, Loki.” Steven coined in from the top bunk. “I've got nothing to begin my day, ha!” All three began to stir out of their bunks and into their uniforms, and moved towards the basement for breakfast.
A quick meal led to the main building for the first class. Jordan and Yosho filed in with every other freshman and a few repeats. Jordan frantically searched over the heads for Artemis' trademark ponytail. “Where's Artemis?” He wondered.
“Artemis, who's Artemis?” Yosho asked.
“Artemis is a friend of mine, girl with a brown ponytail.”
“You mean the girl in the Ra Yellow blazer confronting that Obelisk Blue?” Yosho pointed to a face-off between Artemis and Harrison, both glared at each other with severe disposition and Duel Disks about ready to fire. Finally they both gave up when things weren't going anywhere fast and Artemis came towards the classroom doors with a smile.
“Jordan, how's it been?” She said with Jade coming to greet her. Jordan's own smile was bright.
“Artemis you're not going to believe this! I beat the two best Slifers!” Jordan cheered; Yosho, standing behind him, was about to nail him in the back of the head. “So…who was that you were arguing with?”
“Harrison Wolfram…he's still sore because I beat him last night.”
“You beat an Obelisk Blue!”
“Correction: a Third-year Obelisk Blue.” Artemis stated as they filed into the room. Again it was a room much to that of the exam room. Pretty much everyone sat where they pleased, except when the higher Obelisk Blue force the freshmen down to the lower rows. Of course Jordan put himself next to Artemis, Jade on Artemis' left, and Kokuro, Daichi, and Yosho a row behind them. Among them was chatter until one of the side doors opened; then there was dead silence.
Chronos limped into the room, dragging his right leg across the floor, his left arm hung in a sling, and a black eye replaced the left eye. He made it to his podium and stated while trying to keep his pride, “Anyone laughs even the slightest snicker will be expelled.” Many of the students' faces showed resist to explode in hysteria; Artemis was one of the few, simply turning away at the sight so she wouldn't break first. Jordan bit his tongue hard trying not to laugh at the sight.
There was a long pause from Chronos before he began the class, “Alright, this is how I would want class to begin everyday. For today you'll have only this class, the rest of the day will be yours to look around campus and find interest into the others classes you would like; but it is required that all freshmen take one year of Deck Anatomy, if you want, two years. And one year of Duel Monsters History with Professor Daitokuji.” Chronos instructed with undivided attention.
Jordan leaned towards Artemis with a low whisper, “What happened to him?”
Artemis whispered back, “A wild guess but I think Saphira did have her conversation with Chronos after I got my blazer.” Jordan desperately held it in now.
Chronos cleared his throat after he adjusted his sling. “OK, we will begin class with an in-class project. Judging by your deck submissions you will be paired up with someone with a similar deck to your own. Please pair up as your name is called.” Chronos began to list the names down the rows and students move to their partners. “Jade Llora and Hayate Maeda,” Jade stood up and moved down towards one of the Slifer Red students.
“Artemis Minh and Houzan Gokaido.” The boy called gulped gravely and his eyes fell to Artemis looking up at him. Artemis' hazel sting froze Houzan.
She…she's…she's the one that pounded me for taking her Command Knight! He thought frantically as his skin went white. “C-c-chronos-sensei? C-c-can I have a-a-a different p-p-partner?” Gokaido stammered.
“Judai Yuki and Asuka Tenjoin. Jordan Sabre and Kokuro Samé.” Chronos called at last as Jordan and Kokuro stared at each other. “Well, now that everyone is paired up we will move to the Duel Arena. Each pair will Duel each other while the rest of the class watches. After each duel, the spectators will critique the Duels.” Chronos stated and led the class to the arena, waving away any help offered as he limped until Asuka asked him.
 
 
The class took their seats in the stadium nearby their partners, except Houzan who that at the farthest end of the arena from Artemis. Chronos, with Asuka's aid, managed to get a folding chair for himself on the side of the arena. He seated himself and looked to the class in the stadium seats. “It's only proper that we go with the best pair on the list to begin our class project, and I see…” his face cringed, disgusted that he had to teach the majority of the class from the dorm not his own, “Jordan Sabre and Kokuro Samé. You two please come on down and show this class what you can do.” Chronos dragged into a sarcastic tone in his voice with rolling eyes of disbelief, muttering.”
Jordan and Kokuro walked down to the arena floor, sharing a small conversation along the way. Starting with Jordan, “So if we're paired up by deck similarities, you run a Spellcaster deck too, right?”
Kokuro passed a glance and stopped at his end of the arena. “The term is `Magician'.” He corrected, “I run a Magician Deck.” Jordan kept walking.
“Magician, Spellcaster, same deal.” Jordan said under-breath.
“It's far more distinct than you know.” Kokuro said the same and both their Duel Disks sprang into action.
“Well let's get on with it.” Chronos said, already bored. The class tried to look interested, but some lost it quickly, except for Judai whose wide smile got everyone concerning his sanity.
“Jordan did pretty well against Steven and Yosho, wonder how he'll match against a Ra.” Judai commented.
“Kokuro was one of the highest scores, not to mention his dueling tactics are phenomenal,” Daichi complimented in the stands, “at least that's my better judgment from the exams. Jordan on the other hand concerns for precautions too much, which led him to his downfall against Saphira-san.”
“I'll make the first move!” Kokuro volunteered and drew his sixth card, “and I'll begin with one on guard and one under the table, your move.”
Jordan tried to keep himself cool on his own opening hand, but his excitement was evident. “I'll set one monster in defense mode and two cards facedown. End turn.” He said with three cards appearing in front of him. In the stands Artemis tried to see what was in Jordan's hand but failed to get a clear image, she only recognized one card that seemed pointless to use.
Is he thinking about ending this duel quickly? I hate to see what Kokuro has facedown. She thought.
“That all? Well I can't say I have anything better. So I'll set another monster on guard and call it a turn.” Kokuro said, setting another monster facedown and keeping a face. I'd go through his traps but I need some time, it'll be well worth the wait. Chronos sighed from boredom; he knew the first day would be uneventful, expecting no less from a Slifer to do much with what weak cards he has.
Jordan smiled. “You really should have attacked. Now I activate the Spell Card, Cost Down: by discarding one card from my hand I can summon a monster easier than before!” His move took the crowd by surprise. “Then I sacrifice my Mystical Elf in order to summon my Dark Magician of Chaos (2800/2600)!” He said, offering his blue female mage to summon his trademark Spellcaster. Hoping to intimidate, Kokuro seemed unfazed. “When my Dark Magician attacks and destroys a monster, that monster is removed from play. So, attack his facedown with Oblivion Blast!”
“Chain! Magician's Circle!” Kokuro opened his trap card. “This card activates when a Spellcaster monster attacks, it makes us take one Spellcaster monster from our decks with an attack of 2000 points or less and summons them to the field.” He explained as the Duel Disks spat out one card each.
“So I'll summon Skilled Dark Magician (1900/1700)!” they both said in unison. Two black-clad Sorcerers appeared on the field.
“I'll handle that guy later! My Dark Magician's attack is still going towards the first monster you Set!” Jordan exclaimed as the magician's spell landed on a Blast Magician (1400/1700). The red armored Magician vanished from sight.
Asuka pondered. “Why did Jordan attack that facedown? Doesn't he know that when a new monster appears on the field during the Battle Phase there is a replay of attack?” Sho, who was close by, decided to answer that.
“I might not be a mind reader but I think Jordan wanted to get rid of the facedown to avoid any surprises. He knows that the Skilled Dark Magician isn't a real threat until it begins to gain Spell Counters.” He said, adjusting his small pair of glasses.
“That ends my turn.” Jordan smiled.
Kokuro shot a smirk right back, “Pity, you chose the wrong card.”
“Wrong card? What do you mean?”
“I'll show you. Flip Summon, Old Vindictive Magician (450/600)!” Kokuro announced. He revealed an elder mage hunched over on a staff/walking stick. “This is great! When Old Vindictive Magician is flipped, he can destroy one monster on the field no matter what it is! A no-brainer I'm hitting the Dark Magician of Chaos! Seeya!” The magician posed his staff and fired an unavoidable blast that made the Dark Magician of Chaos disappear in a show of red light. “But I guess even if you did hit my Vindictive Magician, yours would still be gone.” Jordan crashed emotionally again. This was the second time his Dark Magician of Chaos was effortlessly destroyed. Many of the students saw it a mistake to throw out trump cards too early, a foil such as that was clued.
Kokuro didn't seem done after that blow, “Next I'll set one monster on guard, one under the table, and activate this, Mage Power! It increases my Skilled Dark Magician's attack and defense points by 500 for each card I have under the table. Not to mention both of our monsters gain one Spell Counter.” His unusual phrase “under the table” caught on to the other students as his set Spell and Trap cards. “Now my Skilled Dark Magician, attack his!” he commanded, throwing his mage into battle. The Skilled Dark Magician gestured a spell and launched a beam of magic straight at the opposing Spellcaster.
“No! I activate Sakuretsu Armor! This protects my monster by destroying yours!” Jordan exclaimed as a coat of armor surrounded his Skilled Dark Magician. The beam hit and backfired into a rain of sparks coming back at the attacking magician. The Skilled Dark Magician shattered on the impact of sparks.
Kokuro smirked, “well that put that trap out of the way. I'll end my turn now.”
Despite earlier occurrence of the Dark Magician of Chaos being destroyed, Chronos still looked bored. Left to teach a bunch of freshmen duelists, this is not my department. They're behind in tactics so much that they'll just blissfully run headlong into evident traps. He thought with complaints like a bored toddler.
“Alright, my draw,” Jordan pulled his next card. “that works! I activate the Spell Card Pot of Greed! It gives me two cards and my Skilled Dark Magician gains a second Spell Counter.” He reviewed his hand. “I'll Set one monster in defense mode and send my Skilled Dark Magician to attack Old Vindictive Magician!” He declared, his Spellcaster conjured the same spell and fired it to the elder Magician, destroying it effortlessly and reducing Kokuro's Life Points to 2550. “Then I'll set one card facedown and end my turn.” Jordan ended with another card hovering next to his dormant card.
Kokuro drew and saw a bleak look around the field; he only had one set card and a hidden monster in defense mode. “Man, not the best draw at this moment. I'll pass my turn.” Kokuro saw that Jordan's Life Points haven't dropped from 4000, but he breathed a sigh of relief to get rid of his trump card from the game.
Jordan began his turn and instantly went for attack. “Skilled Dark Magician, attack his facedown card!” Jordan called, taking out a meek Apprentice Magician (400/800).
“Sorry man, but when my Apprentice Magician is destroyed as a result of battle, I'm allowed to set a Magician with two level stars or less from my deck on to the field.” Kokuro briefed as another card ejected from his deck and appeared on the field before him.
Artemis watched with concern from the stands. “Jordan's getting sloppy. He used his best cards regardless of the traps Kokuro has set, if this card is what I think it is…” She murmured. Jade leaned forward to get a look at Artemis.
“What's wrong? Jordan's in the lead.” She questioned.
“In a Duel like this, Life Points are the least of anyone's concern.” She answered, watching Kokuro.
“OK, payback time. First I flip my facedown card, Premature Burial! I'm paying 800 of my Life Points to summon my Skilled Dark Magician from the Graveyard!” He announced with the reemergence of his Magician.
“Forget that, go Bottomless Trap Hole!” Jordan countered with his facedown card. “If a monster is Normal Summoned, Flip Summoned, or Special Summoned and has 1500 attack points or more, I activate this card and remove it from the game completely!” He cried as the Skilled Dark Magician vanished, “Also my Skilled Dark Magician as three Spell Counters! By my next turn I can summon Dark Magician!”
“That is if your Spellcaster has a next turn. Flip Summon, Old Vindictive Magician!” Kokuro continued his turn with full force as another mage appeared much to the first. Command went to destroy the Skilled Dark Magician as the black cloaked Spellcaster left the field.
“In response to my Skilled Dark Magician's destruction, I play Call of the Haunted!” Jordan chained, bringing back his Spellcaster clean of Spell Counters. “Huh? He lost all his Spell Counters, but how?” He stood confused.
Kokuro's shoulders slumped, even the weakest of duelists knew better. “Jordan, your Spellcaster was removed from the field by an effect other than his own. He lost his Spell Counters because when he went to the graveyard, those counters had no purpose.” He said. “Right at the moment your Spellcaster touched base with the Graveyard he lost his excess power.”
“In other words that move was worthless. Jordan still had a Set monster which would have protected his Life Points if Kokuro was aiming to attack.” Daichi concluded to the audience around him.
“Well, it's clear now! I sacrifice my Old Vindictive Magician to summon the Cybernetic Magician (2400/1000)!” Kokuro declared, summoning a young white magician in place of his elder mage. “Cybernetic Magician, attack his Skilled Dark Magician!” another spell struck through a monster, making it shatter and Jordan's Life Points fall to 3500, “and that about wraps it up for me. Your turn.”
Jordan twitched, regretting his mistake. “I Flip Summon,” Jordan reached for his Set monster and flipped it face-up, “Cyber Jar (900/900). It destroys every monster on the field and we both have to summon monsters from the next five cards we pick up from the deck.” The mechanical pod revealed itself and exploded, sending the Cybernetic Magician into a damaging defeat of effect. Kokuro and Jordan pulled the top five cards of their decks and glanced through them.
Kokuro grinned, “Nice. I summon White Magician Pikeru (1200/0) and Skilled Dark Magician (1900/1700), plus two on guard.” He stated as four cards appeared. One of the face-up cards was a small child in sheep's wool, standing only up to the Skilled Dark Magician's waist in height.
Jordan revealed his cards and muttered. “I set one monster.” He called with one monster in defense and tried to conduct the rest of his turn with some effort. But he found his opening. “Now, I remove Mystical Elf and Cyber Jar from the graveyard,” he began with translucent images of the blue Spellcaster glowing in a white aura holding the machine which brimmed with a black aura. The figures combined themselves to form a new creature, “to Special Summon my Chaos Sorcerer (2300/2000).” Jordan's newest creature was a wild magician wrapped in belts and shreds of leather and a bucket-shaped helmet covering the majority of his face. Each fist burned with a different color between a violet flame and a silver flame.
Some of the students again caught interest in the twist of the events. Chronos still looked bored while babying his injured arm. Jordan jumped into action again. “Straight for the attack! Chaos Sorcerer, attack White Magician Pikeru!” The Chaos Sorcerer let loose a wild blast of light and dark voltage towards the child. She screamed with pain before shattering and Kokuro's Life Points dropped by another 1100. Some of the spectators gasped when Kokuro went to 650, hanging on the limb of Life Points.
Kokuro recovered quickly from the damaging blow as Jordan concluded his turn. “I'll set one card and end my turn.” He said with a facedown card hovering behind the Spellcaster.
Kokuro saw that his more vital monsters were safe, looking at his facedown cards in particular. “Flip Summon, Old Vindictive Magician! Hit his facedown card!” He declared, flipping a third surprisingly destructive magician. Immediately the twin-headed dragon fell from the fight, leaving only the Spellcaster to fend for itself. “Next, I too will remove monsters from my Graveyard. Precisely, I remove White Magician Pikeru and Old Vindictive Magician to summon my own Chaos Sorcerer!” He declared as the two magicians merged their spiritual forms.
“Not so fast! Compulsory Evacuation Device! This trap card forces you to return a monster back to your hand. So you'll have to remove two more monsters to bring him back to the field.” Jordan announced as the unfinished fusion vanished back into Kokuro's hand. Kokuro kept a straight face.
“Not my problem. I'll remove Cybernetic Magician and Apprentice Magician.” Kokuro simply stated as another merging of spirits brought his Chaos Sorcerer to the field in full form. Again Jordan cringed at a mistake gone wrong.
Jade sighed, twirling a finger through her green pigtail. “Another mistake in traps, no wonder he's in Slifer Red-oh, I'm sorry.” She gasped while looking at Artemis' stiff gaze into the battle. “He's your friend isn't he?”
“He still has a long way to go in Dueling.” Artemis answered. Her eyes caught on to another student she saw during the exams, dressed in a white blazer with a blue collar and his facial features matching his attire.
Asuka got to her feet. “Ryo? What are you doing here?”
“History ended early and lunch isn't for another hour.” He answered in a monotone voice, “I was by the classroom and it was locked. Walking by the Dueling Arena and seeing Chronos, I figured Sho was here as well. So what's happening?”
“One bad Duel. That Slifer kid can't get his timing on traps right.” Asuka answered, “he used Compulsory Evacuation Device on a Chaos Sorcerer and it just came right back to the field after another pair of monsters was removed.” Ryo's eyes narrowed on Kokuro.
“I've seen him Duel during the exams. What's the Life Point score between them?”
“Jordan has 3500, Kokuro has 650.”
The answer made Ryo react. “That big of difference, then how can you say Jordan's a bad duelist?” A small conversation began among the two Obelisks as the duel resumed.
“And now, I sacrifice Kuriboh and Old Vindictive Magician to summon my Dark Magician (2500/2100)!” Kokuro was serious to end it now. Everyone saw it as clear as day, the infamous Magician in the purple armor and the twisted cone-shaped hat appeared on the field aiming to attack. Jaws dropped and head turned, even Ryo was amazed. Artemis swallowed hard to watch Jordan's eminent defeat.
Jordan shuddered, three monsters opposed him and he wasted his last trap card. I'm so dead.
Before entering the Battle Phase, Kokuro took care of one detail just for kicks. “I just want him out of the way sooner than later. Chaos Sorcerer, use your spell and remove him from the game!” he commanded, the flames around the Chaos Sorcerer's hands roared with fury as they shot towards Jordan's Sorcerer, the circled around him until it was a flaming whirlwind and the target vanished from sight. After the spell, the Chaos Sorcerer dropped to his knees, breathing harshly. “Sadly when my Chaos Sorcerer uses this spell he can't attack this turn, but you're not going to be spared for another turn.”
Jordan paled, he saw instantly his Life Points drop to zero before his eyes.
“My Battle Phase begins now! Skilled Dark Magician attack! Dark Magic Spark!” Kokuro commanded. His weaker magician attack first with a stream of black magic aimed straight at Jordan. The direct attack landed Jordan to leave him standing with 1600 Life Points remaining for only a moment. “Dark Magician, end it! Dark Magic Attack!” The Dark Magician raised the green staff over his head as it charged up with magic and launched a wave of darkening magic that shook up Jordan to the bone. He fell flat on his back from the reverberating shock jolting out of his Duel Disk. Kokuro still stood strong as his three magicians vanished.
Off-handed, Chronos played with enthusiasm. “A stunning Duel from a Ra. And a quick one at that with thrilling twists. Would anyone like to comment?” He said to the students watching and nearly threw his arms in the air for presentation. He was warned by the twinge of pain on the right arm. Hands began to fly, even from Ryo that Chronos pointed to instantly. “Ryo Marufuji, go ahead.”
“First I'd like to apologize for intruding on your class Chronos-sensei.” He began.
“Not at all, but I'm surprised you've got something to say about this lowly-ranked duel.” Chronos mocked as Kokuro relaxed and Jordan tried to lift himself to his feet.
“I arrived late and I was only told by Asuka what happened. The Duel that was just played out was a rout, one-sided from the beginning.” Ryo began, “I was told that Jordan was making one mistake after another with his trap cards. Jordan was just startled by Kokuro's forceful approach, and that was what Kokuro was aiming for. He walked into the traps on purpose to get rid of them intentionally. As for Jordan, I don't know how he got those rare cards such as Cost Down and Dark Magician of Chaos, but I don't think he knows how to play them.”
Chronos would applaud Ryo's wisdom if he could, “A very good deduction, I expected no less from one of my Obelisks.”
 
 
Night fell hours after scheduling was complete. Artemis let her hair fall from her ponytail, stroking aside her bangs that fell in front of her face out behind her right ear. Jade was busy in front of the mirror, clipping her pigtails inside small fabric pouches to keep her style for another day. “Artemis? You look concerned.” Jade wondered while seeing Artemis' reflection in the mirror on the vanity.
“It's Jordan. You think he got criticized too much in class, especially from Ryo?” Artemis said, sitting on her bed and sifting through her deck and binder.
“But it was all true. He played Call of the Haunted when he had that Cyber Jar protecting his Life Points.” Jade chimed. “I wouldn't even do that. Hayate was just as bad at dueling; I can't believe Chronos-sensei paired me with that Down Under idiot.” Jade said with some shade of annoyance in her voice, finishing the buns on her head.
Artemis sighed, pulling on a long-sleeved shirt over her spaghetti strapped top. After she collected up her cards she fell back on the bed, arms spread out. “This whole system of color. It bothers me, reminds me too much of grade school. Though my brother usually stood up for me.”
“You have a brother, Artemis?”
“Yeah, though we didn't have grade school together because we had a severe age difference but he comforted me after classes.” She paused. “But since after Battle City he just up and left the house to fulfill his career as a game designer in his own right. He wouldn't be interested in the Academy's offers.” Artemis began to daydream memories long since abandoned. “My brother was big on crystal collecting, and before he left he gave me this small shard of quartz.” She fidgeted with her charm. “I haven't taken it out of my sight since.”
Jade left a soft smile. “That's sweet, I hope you see him again.” Artemis nodded in agreement and about dozed off when her PDA vibrated on her desk. Jade huffed, “Who'd be calling this late at night?” Artemis grasped her PDA and opened it up. On the screen she saw Jordan's face, in the background she could hear the skit to “I'm so Pretty.”
“Sabre?” Artemis questioned.
“Artemis, I need some advice.” Jordan pleaded.
“Can't this wait until Deck Anatomy tomorrow?”
“I can't show my face with the deck I have now. You saw how I lost to Kokuro, please tell me how can I improve my deck so I can at least have a chance against him.” Jordan begged over the link. Artemis was still unmoved.
“I see nothing wrong with your deck design, when the problem is beyond that, I can't help. Heck I can hardly help you now all the way over here.” She answered. “All I can say is this: be conservative, make sure your moves count otherwise they'll just blow right back at you.”
“But how can I do that?”
“And tell your roommates they have the weirdest taste in music. Goodnight Sabre.”
“Wait!” Jordan cried before Artemis shut her PDA off completely. Artemis dropped back on her bed and pulled the cover over her shoulders.
“Goodnight Jade.”
“`Night Artemis.” Jade replied before she turned out the vanity lights.