Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mad Season ❯ Under the Sun ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AoM: Hello, I'm back and writing this chapter.
 
Chapter IX: Under the Sun
 
Ranma stealthily walked over to Ryoga's bed and grinned deviously when he saw the boy still asleep. Quickly, he uncapped his water bottle and dumped it onto the sleeping boy.
 
“Ahhhh!” Ryoga screamed. “Ranma, I'm going to kill you!”
 
“Shut up,” Kouga murmured from his bed, where he was still curled up half asleep.
 
Ranma looked from the fuming Ryoga to Kouga.
 
“You're going to have to get up soon anyway,” Ranma pointed out.
 
“I have a few more minutes…”
 
From above Kouga, Crono slept on. He was so used to his mom attempting to get him up that he was immune to the obstreperous activity. On the other side of the room were Reno, who was covering his ears, and Malik. Malik sighed and slipped out of bed. He wasn't sure how the others did it but he would not be able to sleep any longer because of the noise.
 
“I'll get you later, Ranma,” Ryoga glared. He wasn't quite ready to leave the comfort of his bed.
 
Ranma laughed, “Come on, get ready. I'm hungry.”
 
“…Don't wanna.”
 
“You'll get lost if you don't.”
 
Ryoga knew he was defeated, so he pushed himself out of the bed to get ready.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“Get with your section and work on the music and marching,” Genkai ordered.
 
Sango let the flute and piccolo section over to a shady area near the forest.
 
“Everyone get into three lines,” she waited for them to complete the task before continuing, “Okay, we'll do the marching pattern that was taught yesterday. It works on most of the marching styles, the most frequently used ones. Mark time, mark and one two three four! One, two, three, four, one, two-“
 
Colette flailed her arms trying to regain her balance. Without dropping her flute, she fell on her butt. This was nothing new; the freshman was already known to be very clumsy. She fell many times the day before and before band camp had even started. Amiboshi was the first to head over to her. He extended his arm and helped the blonde girl to her feet.
 
“Thank you,” she smiled.
 
“Alright, everyone back in your lines. We'll try it again. Mark time, mark and one two three four! One, two, three, four, one, two, three, four, one two three, four, one, two, three, four,” Sango sighed. The section wasn't staying together. “Keep your lines straight!”
 
As they were marching backwards, Relm took too large of steps and went diagonal, running into Aerith. Both girls fell to the grass below.
 
`The section is so uncoordinated,' Sango thought. “Let's get warmed up. B flat major scale, one, two, ready go. Akane, you're playing an octave too high!” she told the girl. Sango flinched as they hit high B flat, it was so out of tune. “All of you will need to buy tuners. You'll need them for concert season anyway,” she instructed. Sango hoped that she would be able to shape the section up before the first competition.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
The other sections weren't having much luck either (although, they were better off than the flute/piccolos).
 
Seifer couldn't seem to get his section to pay attention. Excel was bouncing off the walls, talking to everyone. She even decided to hug Kyo, knowing exactly what would happen if she did. The two freshmen looked at the orange cat in amazement. Inu-Yasha and Tasuki looked like they were getting ready to spar, Hotohori was brushing his hair, Ukyo was watching Inu-Yasha and Tasuki, Irvine was staring at girls in other sections, and Cecil looked as if he was in his own world. Seifer sighed. He had no clue on how to get all of them to listen. Maybe if he permanently removed Excel… he shook his head. That wouldn't work. He already tried it last year and failed. The girl was resilient. She was like a parasite that he couldn't exterminate. He glanced back over to his section. Was that freshman girl taking her trumpet apart?!
 
“What are you doing?!”
 
“Taking my trumpet apart.”
 
“I can see that, but why?”
 
She shrugged, “I'm bored. Besides, I can easily put it back together.”
 
“Okay, fix your trumpet. Cecil, Irvine, pay attention. Hotohori stop brushing your hair! Inu-Yasha, Tasuki cut it out! Excel… just stop whatever it is you're doing,” Seifer snapped. “Take your mouthpieces and we'll start warm ups.” The section groaned but did as they were instructed. Seifer noticed Irvine's eyes begin to wander. “Irvine!” Irvine jumped and settled his eyes on Ukyo, who promptly put her trumpet down and slapped the older boy. `This is getting nowhere,' Seifer thought to himself. “Alright, let's just start marching drills,” silently he prayed that sectional time would soon be over and Genkai and the drum majors would take over.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
When Genkai and the drum majors did take over, Seifer looked as if he was ready to explode or kill someone. Most likely the latter.
 
“Today, we'll begin by learning the five sets of the opener. If you get those down quickly, we'll go on, but I doubt that. Section leaders, you need to come claim your set charts,” Genkai instructed. “Set the first three and we'll go from there.”
 
Locke looked at the set chart. The first set looked simple, the section was close together. `I should place the freshmen in between more experienced marchers.' “Roy, I need you to set saxes eight through thirteen. I'll set one through seven.”
 
“Is everyone ready to go on?” Genkai asked after about ten minutes.
 
“I have two more,” Arashi called out from the other side of the field.
 
“Almost!”
 
Genkai nodded, “Five more minutes.”
 
After a grueling three hours, numerous falls (most of them on Colette's part), tons of wrong notes, missed flags, and the sun beating down on them Genkai told them they had half an hour until lunch. The large group sighed in relief.
 
“Gah, I have those few measures stuck in my head now!” Umi complained.
 
“I think we all do after that,” Fuu replied.
 
“It doesn't help that Tifa was totally off. Her counting was so loud it was throwing the rest of us off.”
 
“She's new and nervous give her a break.” Umi sighed, she wasn't sure how much more she could take.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hiei flopped onto his bed. He cringed as he heard the grating voice of one of his roommates ascending the stairs.
 
“I'm going to talk to her today, Yusuke!”
 
“Yeah, yeah. Just do it already.”
 
“Hey, shrimp,” Kazuma greeted as he entered the room.
 
Hiei just hn-ed in response. How did he get stuck in a room with a buffoon? The others weren't so bad though.
 
“Why is everyone in this room so small?” Kazuma wondered to himself. The others sharing the room were Shippou, Mog, and-
 
“I am not short!” an indignant shout came through the door.
 
“Okay, whatever.”
 
Ed continued glaring at Kazuma.
 
“Oh! It's almost time for lunch! Come on shorties!”
 
“What did you call me?!” Ed chased Kazuma out of the cabin. Shippou and Hiei sweatdropped when they heard a scream from outside that sounded an awful like Kazuma's.
 
“Kupo!”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hiei took a seat towards the back of the cafeteria.
 
“Hi, is this seat taken?” Hiei looked up to see a redhead smiling at him. He shook his head and the other sat down. “Are you going to eat?”
 
Hiei shrugged, “Maybe, when the line goes down.” They both looked to see the line continuing out the doorway.
 
Kurama laughed, “I guess you're right. I'm Kurama by the way.” He said extending his hand.”
 
Hiei looked skeptically at the hand before taking it, “Hiei.” Kurama smiled. Hiei felt himself slightly blush and quickly shook his head trying to get rid of it.
 
“Hey, onii-chan,” Yukina said taking the seat across from Hiei.
 
“Yukina!” Kazuma called running over to her, somehow managing not to drop his food. Hiei groaned.
 
“Hi, Kazuma,” Yukina said sweetly.
 
After everyone got settled in, Genkai stood to talk. “Alright, after lunch is a ten minute break followed by a team building activity. For this activity you will be given a randomly selected partner. I explain the rest later.”
 
 
Chapter Title from Do as Infinity