Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A World so Wrong ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho nor Inuyasha
 
The marble was cold. Shunjun kneeled on it with his forehead pressed to the ground before his livid ruler. Compared in size, Shunjun was merely a speck to the large god sitting in his chair with a large screen concealing his face. King Yama had yet to speak, causing uneasiness to build within the pit of the blue haired man's stomach. Sweat dripped down his brow. Never before had he failed his mission as a bounty hunter. He wondered if he would get demoted and dropped from being part of the Special Defense Force to being a messenger. He swallowed the lump in his throat and prepared for the worst when he heard his ruler clear his throat.
 
“You may rise,” King Yama's voice boomed throughout the room. His displeasure was obvious. Shunjun slowly stood on shaky feet and wiped nonexistent dust from the front of his body, wincing because of the injuries on his arm and torso. He had forgotten about them in his worry. He looked at the blood stained shirt and was glad that he was a fast healer for the most part. His wounds were no longer bleeding, but that didn't mean that they weren't still tender. He looked up at King Yama and waited to be reprimanded.
 
“The thief got away,” King Yama stated as he stood with fluid grace for such a large being. Intimidated by his size, Shunjun took a step back. King Yama sighed and walked over to a large balcony that was in the room to gaze out at the lands of the Spirit World. Shunjun bowed his head with respect and shame even though his lord couldn't see him before he spoke.
 
“He did escape my lord. The reason being was that I was attacked by a miko and a half demon along with four others,” Shunjun admitted ashamed. When King Yama was silent for another long period of time he began to fidget. Just what was going through the large leader's head? He shuddered at the possibilities and paled at the thought of receiving physical punishment.
 
“Did you at least get the thief's identity? Or even your attackers who dare opposes my will?” King Yama questioned. He turned his cold gaze to glare at his subordinate. Shunjun swallowed again. Even though his ruler wore glasses, it didn't make him look less frightening. He shifted his weight to his other foot out of nervousness before he answered.
 
“My lord… I didn't get the thief's identity. I didn't get close enough to see him. As for the other six, I have their descriptions so that you may pull them up in your database,” Shunjun spoke with confidence even though he was terrified at his lack of information. His ruler frowned, causing him to avert his eyes to the ground out of fear. This was never a good sign. He flinched when King Yama's voice boomed through his ears.
 
“How dare you call yourself a bounty hunter?! You are pathetic! Get out of my sight. I cannot stand to look at you right now!” Shunjun immediately bowed at the waist with respect and submission and without a word left the room with haste, closing the door behind him.
 
After a few moments, King Yama began pacing his large room with his hands behind his back deep in thought. He had always considered dividing the living world into two different planes: the human world and the demon world. Due to demons and humans living in the same world, there had been a large decrease in the human race. Demons and humans were in a never ending war that almost always resulted in the demons coming out as the victor. He could not allow this to continue and still be considered a qualified ruler. His head throbbed with an oncoming headache.
 
In order to detach the worlds, he would need a barrier to keep them apart and protect the humans from the demons that terrorized them on a daily. The barrier itself would take years to construct as would the division process itself. He sighed, his job would never be easy and to top it off he needed to get the Forlorn Hope back and soon.
 
 
0-0
 
Yoko waited in his room, staring at the mirror. He tossed it into the air and caught it several times. He sighed out of boredom. He had returned to his hideout some time ago and was able to eat, bathe, and rest a full day. He was now lazily lounging on a fur with one arm behind his head as a pillow.
 
All he had to do was use the mirror, but he would not use it himself. He was no fool. The mirror required a life, only then will it grant one's deepest desire. It also had to be a night of the full moon before the mirror would work. He timed his theft accordingly so that the next night, which is tonight, would be a full moon.
 
He stopped tossing the mirror in the air and looked at it. Who would have thought that he was so great that he would successfully steal from the Spirit World? He smirked at his accomplishment.
 
A low knock on his door brought him out of his thoughts. He sat up and put the mirror in his tunic. He eyed his door suspiciously as it slid open. A female demon stood in the doorway. She was about five feet and six inches, had short cut bluish-black hair that rested on her shoulders, indigo blue eyes, bat wings that protruded out of her back, and pale skin that rivaled the moon. Yoko smirked because his guest had finally arrived. What better way than to bring Kuronue back than to use one of his former lovers who missed him and would do anything to have him back?
 
“Surai, so good of you to join me,” Yoko said with a smile and stood. The girl rushed over to him and threw her arms around him. Tears streamed down her face.
 
“Did you really mean it when you said that we could bring him back?” Surai's asked in a muffled voice. She had spoken into his tunic, after all. Yoko stroked her hair in a soothing manner.
 
“Yes, we can. I have the artifact that we need and this is the right time to do it,” Yoko purred.
 
“Ok then, lets go,” Surai exclaimed. Yoko's eye twitched. Just a second ago the girl was crying her eyes out; now she was overly excited. He would never understand this particular woman, nor would he care to try.
 
Yoko walked out of the room with the bubbly woman behind him and headed for the exit of his lair. When he made it outside, he was greeted by the cool air playing through his hair and the scent of a crisp clean night. The moon cast a silvery shadow on the ground and stars glistened in the sky. He reveled in the beauty of the night and took a few moments to bathe with the moonlight. The woman behind him stomped her foot with impatience and he sighed once again. She was right, however. They had come out here for a task. Even though he didn't show it, he was just as eager to get his second in command back. Yomi was useless and rash. He caused more casualties than he would care to count.
 
Yoko removed the mirror from his tunic and set it on the ground. It's mirror reflected the moon. Surai kneeled beside him and eyed the mirror warily. It looked ominous and she didn't really like the looks of it. Although she would never admit it aloud, she was afraid of the creepy looking thing. Yoko noticed this and smirked. “Females,” he thought and shook his head. Surai hesitantly put her hand over the mirror.
 
“Forlorn Hope, I ask you to wake from your sleep and hear my plea. Reflect my greatest desire, so that you can make it true,” Surai recited, causing the mirror to make a weird noise. A white light shot up from the mirror and black strands of energy danced around the two demons. The light and black strands faded and a picture of a man, wearing a black visor like hat, with his black hair pulled into a high ponytail, and indigo blue eyes became visible on the mirror's surface.
 
“You wish to have this demon's life? Is it truly what you desire?” the mirror asked in a deep male voice. A bead of sweat slid down the side of Surai's face; she was terrified.
 
“Yes,” she murmured barely above a whisper.
 
“To grant this wish, you must give your life. Is that what you desire?” the mirror asked with the same impassive voice. Surai glared at the fox. He had known this all along and that's why he didn't do it himself. She missed Kuronue though. He was only meant to be a fling, but the time that they've spent together making love or what not was special to her. She had unintentionally fallen in love. A lone tear trickled down her cheek as she came to a resolve. If she had to give her life she would. She would do it for Kuronue.
 
“If it will bring Kuronue back to life, then…yes” Surai responded as another tear ran down her face.
 
“Then your desire shall be fulfilled,” the mirror finished. The glass turned white and began to swirl. It then started flashing from white to black. What seemed like small electrical waves surrounded Surai and she closed her eyes. A white light emitted from the mirror and engulfed the demons, causing both Surai and Yoko to shield their eyes. The light then turned into a beam and shot up into the sky. The mirror went blank and Yoko and Surai was lying face down into the ground on either side of the mirror.
 
Yoko's hand twitched and a wave of vertigo hit him as he began to sit up while Surai remained motionless. He grabbed his hand and looked up. Standing next to him was a man who stood about six foot four. He had long black hair that was pulled into a ponytail that reached his waist and underneath a black visor like hat, indigo blue eyes, and bat wings protruding from his back. His eyes widened with disbelief and shock which mirrored the demon's expression beside him.
 
“Ku-Kuronue?”
 
0-0
Five Hundred Years Later…
0-0
 
The gang sat around Genkai in the large living room enjoying the night. Botan had been uneasy all day and the group had yet to get any explanations from her. No one had even been aware of Kurama's existence and had not brought up the subject of last night, pertaining to Botan's seemingly crazed ranting. Botan glanced at the clock on the wall and realized that it was after ten at night. She stood and headed for the door that led outside when Yusuke's voice interrupted her.
 
“Where are you going?”
 
“I have to go and talk to Lord Koenma. I should return to him soon,” Botan replied with a melancholy tone before proceeding out of the door.
 
“I'm really worried about her. She's been acting strange ever since last night. Do you think that she's going to be alright?” Keiko asked.
 
“Don't worry about it, kiddo,” Shizuru assured, yet stared at the door that Botan had previously walked out of. She sensed that Botan had been off and although she wouldn't tell anyone, she knew that something wasn't right. When Botan came back, Shizuru would confront her about it.
 
0-0
 
The blue haired soul transporter paced Koenma's office, impatiently waiting for her leader to say something—anything to calm her nerves. He, though, was too busy stamping numerous papers. George, the blue ogre, stood off to the side some distance away from Koenma's desk and watched Botan with curious eyes. Botan, fed up with being ignored, nearly snarled. She walked up to Koenma and slammed her palms on the desk, causing numerous papers to fall to the floor. The young prince screamed wordlessly with anger at the grim reaper.
 
“Botan, what is your problem?! Do you know how long it will take me to sort out all of these papers again?!” Koenma yelled. Botan took a step back. Even though he looked like a baby, her boss could be scary at times.
 
“I know, but, sir, Kurama has disappeared,” Botan responded with watery eyes. Tears threatened to roll at any given time.
 
“I know this and what do you expect me to do about it?!” Koenma yelled, still upset about the papers. He had known the exact moment in which Kurama disappeared. However, he had more pressing matters to deal with. With all of his work, he was too stressed out to deal with another problem right now. After all, he had a lot of built up work due to his two year absence and dealing with the demon world unification war.
 
“Why Lord Koenma?! Why did Kurama disappear? And why do the others not know about this except you and I?” Botan asked, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. Koenma jumped out of his chair and began gathering all of the mixed up scattered papers that littered his floor.
 
“Do you remember Kurama's story?” he asked in a less angered tone. Botan thought for a moment before speaking.
 
“Kurama's case had fallen into Yusuke's hands several years ago when he stole the Forlorn Hope from the Spirit World to save his mother. He had accomplished the task thanks to Hiei and Gouki. He was also the demon bandit, Yoko Kurama.”
 
“That's just it. Thanks to Yoko Kurama, he became Yusuke's assistant,” Koenma stated. Botan tilted her head to the side, clearly puzzled. She did not understand what he was getting at.
 
“I'm sorry, I don't follow,” she admitted, causing Koenma to glare at her from the floor with cold brown eyes. Koenma dropped the glare and sighed. Why does his grim reaper have to be so clueless at times?
 
“Botan, five hundred years ago the infamous bandit, Yoko Kurama, died while attempting to steal the Forlorn Hope. With the deep desire to live, he went into spirit form and traveled through dimensions and time. He merged with a human baby: Suichi Minamino,” Koenma explained, still picking up papers and placing them on his desk.
 
“How does that relate to Kurama's disappearance?” Botan asked. Koenma looked at her blankly for a moment. He had to refrain from acting out thoughts of pulling his hair. After visualizing himself choking the clueless woman, he continued.
 
“Yoko, being merged with Suichi, obtained a soft spot for humans, whom he originally thought inferior. He developed a love for his human mother after she risked her life and got injured on behalf of his safety. Then when he was fifteen, his mother fell ill and was hospitalized. Hiei had devised a plan to steal three artifacts from here, the Spirit World, and Kurama went along with it because the Forlorn Hope was one of the artifacts and he wanted to save his mother.”
 
“Yes, yes, I know all that! I was there! But what does this have to do with Kurama disappearing?” Botan yelled.
 
“Now we sent Yusuke after these beasts to retrieve the artifacts. The night that Kurama was going to use the Forlorn Hope his mother went into a critical state and the doctors told Kurama that his mother was about to die.”
 
“I know this!” Botan once again interrupted causing Koenma to go red.
 
“If you know then act like you know!” Koenma yelled, causing Botan to scowl. He was the one who was acting weird today. She asked how Kurama disappeared, not his life story.
 
“What does any of this have to do with Kurama's disappearance?” she yelled back.
 
“I said five hundred years ago Yoko Kurama died and merged with a human baby! That led Kurama to Yusuke and thus leaded him to the spirit detective assisting life!” Koenma yelled.
 
“I…get it,” Botan said thoughtfully. Koenma noticed the confusion and deadpanned.
 
“No, you don't,” Koenma pointed out dryly.
 
“I know, so why don't you explain it to me without all the unnecessary extras that don't tell me anyway to save my friend,” Botan said. Koenma's eye twitched. How could she reprimand him with a smile on her face? She had gotten cheeky in recent years.
 
“Put the pieces together and use your head. Sometimes I believe that you are more hopeless than Yusuke.”
 
“I'm trying, but nothing you're saying actually tells me anything new. Tell me something that I don't know. If you know a way to get him back, then just say it,” Botan grumbled, tired from hearing the same things that she already knew.
 
“Yoko Kurama didn't die five hundred years ago because of some sort of interference. He was supposed to have died the night he raided the vault because Shunjun, a member from the Special Defense Force, was sent to eliminate him. Without his death, he was never able to merge with Suichi. Without him merging with Suichi, Suichi lives a normal human life, without sharing his soul and body with a fox demon. With Suichi living a normal life, he never steals the Forlorn Hope with Hiei and Gouki. Him helping Yusuke took him through the all of the trials of the spirit detective and led him to be sitting on the beach with all of you last night when he disappeared,” Koenma explained as realization sunk into Botan. She glared at him. He could have just said that in the beginning instead of giving her the run around.
 
“Oh, I see now,” Botan said, causing Koenma to sigh with relief.
 
“You see, the past was altered and the result of Yoko surviving five hundred years ago altered the present time. The question is… Who altered the past? In order to do that you would need someone from a future time to actually go back in time and change things,” Koenma questioned thoughtfully.
 
“I don't get it,” Botan stated. Koenma continued picking up papers, impassive about his grim reaper's statement.
 
“If no one from the future time had gone back in time and altered the past, then the past would have played out the same way that it is destined to,” Koenma explained. Botan tilted her head to the side and Koenma sighed at her.
 
“Never mind,” Koenma said between gritted teeth. Why couldn't Botan figure it out and set up a plan to get Kurama back? It wasn't a difficult concept to understand. Why wasn't Botan using her head today? Botan shrugged it off.
 
“Okay so how are we going to fix this whole thing?” Botan asked as Koenma sat at his seat and began to sort papers out into their respective piles.
 
“Botan, you think of something. I have all of this work to catch up on and have not even scratched the surface,” Koenma said dismissively. Botan was not having any of it. She slammed her hands on his desk again, scattering his papers for a second time. Tears rolled down Koenma's face as get got on the ground again overly annoyed with the girl.
 
“Koenma,” Botan said sternly, causing the young prince to glower at her.
 
“GO FIVE HUNDRED YEARS INTO THE PAST AND KILL YOKO KURAMA!” Koenma yelled sarcastically. Botan flinched from the volume and turned the idea over in her head.
 
“But how do we do that? Yusuke has been released from the spirit detective position and we can't just time travel, can we?” Botan soberly asked.
 
“How about this…? You go talk to my dad and see if he will rehire Yusuke. If he says yes, you have Yusuke investigate this whole situation about who in this time has altered the past, and then you send Yusuke into the past and have him prevent whoever from saving Yoko's life,” Koenma said thoughtfully, causing Botan's demeanor brighten.
 
“You are brilliant, sir! That sounds like a plan!” Botan chirped, causing Koenma to sweat drop. With a bright smile, she walked out of the room, leaving Koenma to his papers.
 
Koenma paled at the thought of him being punished if Botan interrupted his father to ask him about the matter. His father would get annoyed and give Koenma one hundred spankings or worse because he had put Botan up to it. He began to sweat at the thought of it. His father was short tempered when it came to trivial matters.
 
“Wait! Don't do it! I was only kidding!” Koenma yelled after the woman who was long gone. He glared at George who backed away.
 
“This is your entire fault ogre!” Koenma yelled, and then stomped up to George.
 
“I didn't do anything!” George yelled, running out of the room in fear.
 
Koenma sighed and walked over to his desk in defeat. He opened one of the drawers of his desk and pulled out a picture that was taken immediately after the dark tournament. It had Yusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei, Botan, and Keiko. They were standing in front of Hanging Neck Island. The spot where Kurama was supposed to have been standing was bare, as if he never existed. Koenma sighed. Although he would never tell anyone this, he really missed Kurama. Koenma put the picture back in his drawer and picked up the hit list binder that was full of criminals out of the drawer. It dated back to at least a thousand years. He opened it to about five hundred years ago and began to scan through the fugitives. A particular page stopped him when he noticed a modern looking girl in a school uniform on a page, along with five others. She had black hair and brown eyes and below her picture was that name Higurashi Kagome. He tossed the binder aside and opened slid out a keyboard that went to his screen and typed in her name. Her picture and information appeared on the screen. His eyes widened and his pacifier fell out of his mouth. She was the culprit…
 
A/N: Please review and tell me how it is so far!