Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained To You ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chained to You
A IY/YYH Crossover
By Kawaii-Keke-Chan
Occurs: after IY last manga chapter 558
Time frame: Spring of 1999, IY time.
YYH time is in the future- does not yet exist.




Chapter Ichi
Scene: The Castle of the Royal Silver Kitsune Clan,
Akaso, The Makai.

I
t was nearing the end of Spring, and the Castle of the Royal Silver Kitsune was thrumming with the sound of everyday chores, illicit dealings and imperial business. For it was these three components that made up the routine and also the hierarchy of the Palace: the servants, the bandits, and the royal family. On this day, at the hour of the Horse, these three elements were about to cause radical change in the lives of those in the Palace. Especially concerning the life of Yoko Kurama- the Royal Silver Prince and the King of Thieves.

“Yoko-sama will see you now,” murmured a grey neko-hanyou as she gracefully knelt to the ground, and extended her wrist to slide open the shoji screen of the Court Room. The three bandits paid her no mind as they entered the room, immediately kowtowing to the ground.

“Yoko-sama!” they cried, “We salute you, most noble Prince, and fearsome Leader!”

“Rise,” replied the soft and silky voice, and the three bandits raised their heads in awe.

Gazing down upon them was the youkai whom was solely responsible for their fate. The bandits trembled under his glare, his golden eyes regarding them all in turn. These eyes were wise, yet young; calm, yet cruel. He lounged on his wooden throne as he regarded them, his long legs dangling over an armrest. His elbow perched on the other rest as he supported his head with three long fingers. Despite his seemingly relaxed posture, he radiated a dangerous and threatening aura.

“Speak,” the kitsune commanded.

The three bandits exchanged panicked looks, and after an intense silence, the middle youkai crept forward, his head lowered as he spoke.

“Yoko-sama....hear my plea! You are most wise, gracious and kind, and we beg that you may have pity on us...”

The bandit broke off nervously as he heard the noise of displeasure from the kitsune.

“The sum of seven thousand pieces of gold...that we were to repay by tonight, the night of the new moon...we have managed to gain three thousand, my Lord...”

All three bandits once again flung themselves prostrate on the stone floor, their fear clear from the vibration of their spines. There was a swish of silk against wood, and the bandits trembled as the kitsune rose.

“What use have I, of barely half the sum of your debt?” he asked softly. Dangerously.

“Y-Yoko-sama!” cried the bandit to the right, “We beg forgiveness. It is so difficult to find gold in these times! If there is anything else you wish for in the world...we, your humble servants, will gladly fetch it for you!”

The other bandits nodded furiously, echoing his plea. “Anything, Yoko-sama!”

“Anything?” The kitsune touched his lip in thought, as he observed the trembling youkai before him. He smirked and his eyes glittered as he settled back on his throne.

“There is only one thing I require in the world, apart from gold. And that is power.”

“Power, my Lord?” replied the bandits, quivering.

“Yes.” Yoko reclined in his throne, arching his fingers under his chin. “If you can find me the single power that can eradicate my enemies...then I will cancel all debts.”

The bandits shivered with unease, watching the kitsune as he mused.

“There is still time until the new moon...I suggest you make haste.”

The bandits nodded eagerly, bowing and backing out the room.

“And, my dear bandits? Remember, if you cannot pay the debt...your lives are forfeit to me.”

Yoko watched with masked amusement as the bandits departed as quickly as they could, muttering about “power” and “eradicating enemies”. The kitsune winded a lock of silver hair around his finger, contemplating what they would come up with. He was being mellow today- in most circumstances, he would have killed them straight out for their disobedience. But today, he was in the mood for toying with his prey.

“Next!” Yoko commanded, knowing the neko-hanyou would be waiting patiently. He suppressed a yawn, watching as she stood silently to fetch the awaiting youkai.

What little excitement will I extract from the next victim?

~oOoOoOo~

Scene change: The Higurashi Shrine
Tokyo, Japan, The Ningenkai


After graduation, Kagome toyed with the idea of becoming a doctor, to put her miko skills to use. But she had missed so much of her education, and had no savings, apart from the little sum of money her mother and ji-chan had been collecting for her while she had fought in Feudal Japan.
Her friends weren't very sympathetic to her plight.

“Kagome! You've got to get over that two timing baka! You can't sit and wait around for him forever!”

They were wrong, of course, in their accusation. Despite having met Inuyasha, they didn't know he was in fact an Inu-hanyou, who had came from 500 years in the past, thanks to the Bone Keeper's Well. He hadn't two timed her in a while- as far as she knew, anyway. It had been three years since the final battle with Naraku. Three years since they wished the Shikon-no-tama away, and the well no longer connected the past and the present. Three years since Kagome had seen her friends.

But Kagome still liked to hope that one day, the well would re-open.

Now that summer was beginning, Kagome's plans were to get a job, and save money for college. But she lacked motivation, the same way in which she lacked life. The sparkle and happiness of Higurashi Kagome had disappeared, along with the Shikon-no-tama. She was lifeless. She was like Kikyo.

It was in this listless state that three certain bandits stumbled upon the miko, as they dangerously crossed over to the Ningenkai, in the search for the “power” their master sought. They had searched in vain for three hours, considering guns, tanks, and something called “new-clear” while knowing that ningen technology didn't work once it crossed the borders, due to the interference of youki.

They were suddenly drawn to a certain female's scent, as they prowled downtown Tokyo, in disguises of long trench coats, hats and glasses.  Wordlessly, the band followed her, through shops, up escalators, onto a bus. Finally, as she walked through a quiet neighbourhood, they attacked.

~oOoOoOo~

The bandits were back, looking worse for wear, and clutching a large, misshapen sack. It bore wards that blanketed scent, and so Yoko knew they had been taking part in illegal dealings- not that it bothered him.

“Well. That does not seem large enough to contain the rest of your debt, so I assume you chose the other option. I am to believe then, that the key to almighty power is in that worn potato sack?”

The middle bandit, the most confident and leader of the three, bowed low before getting to his feet.

“Yoko-sama, we trawled the Makai looking for what you sought, but we had little luck. Our will to please you was such that...”

“Enough. Show me.” Yoko interrupted, his golden eyes gleaming. His sense of smell was marred due to the wards, and his ears twitched. A small kernel of hope began to bud in his stomach. Could these bandits really have found what he had been looking for after all these centuries?

“As you wish, my Lord...” the bandit replied, his fingers shaking as he lifted up the sack. He began to remove the wards and ties from the neck, then with a huff of effort, he emptied the contents of the bag onto the floor.

Yoko's eyes narrowed as he took in the sight.

“What...what is the meaning of this?”

The three bandits blinked at him, their fear apparent.

Yoko leaned forward, his claws sinking into his throne. The smell of blood assaulted his nose. But it was not ordinary blood. The smell that reached Yoko was not foul, and it certainly was not fair.

The human lay face down on the stone floor, limp like a doll. She had a wound to the back of her head, which had congealed, but the fall from the sack had prompted fresh blood to spill. It was the first time Yoko had ever smelt human blood like this; he couldn't compare it to anything he had ever encountered before.

Yoko watched the strange red liquid seep into the cracks of the stone floor before throwing a  look of disgust to his men.

“Explain. Now.”

The bandits faltered at his reaction. His eyes were narrow slits, and his whole posture was stiff. Anger rolled off his body in waves, making the bandits dumb.

“Speak!” Yoko demanded, banging his fist against his throne. “Why in the name of Makai did you believe a polluted, ningen wench could bring me power?”

The bandits exchanged fleeting glances, before one piped up.

“My Lord, it is not just any ningen. It is very powerful!”

Yoko blinked, taking in this information. The blood was making him feel nauseous, and the fine hairs on his arms and the back of his neck were crackling with tension.

“Yoko-sama...she is a miko!”

There was silence, as the kitsune's eyes scanned the seemingly dead body in front of him. A mass of black hair, coated with blood. A white, fitted jacket, with large buttons, the material staining pink. A short denim skirt revealed long legs, adorned with cuts and gashes. Boots made of some sort of patchwork. Yoko was unaware of these modern day materials and items of clothing, knowing only that they were not Makai based.

“A miko? Surely you are not stupid enough to try and trick me? Miko have been extinct since the barrier!”

Yoko had risen to his feet, rage clear in his calculating eyes.

“Master, please do not be hasty! This ningen is a miko...she can offer you the power you seek! Let me show you!”

The bandit crept forward, careful not to step in any of the blood speckling the floor. Taking a deep breath, the youkai tapped the miko's back with his armoured boot.

There was a crackle, a spark of light, and the youkai was repelled with a yell, and thrown a few feet across the room. The ningen glowed purple, yet remained face down on the floor. Yoko could feel himself perspiring at the force of the power, and he wiped his thumb across his forehead.

“Do you see, master?” asked the fallen bandit, who was now singed and smelling of burn.

“We have found you the power that can defeat all of your enemies!” exclaimed the other bandits, sounding excited as the kitsune remained silent, staring at the very still ningen on the floor.

His face was lowered, his silver fringe covering his eyes from view. The bandits rejoiced together, thankful that they had managed the impossible. Their celebrating was interrupted by the kitsune's harsh tone.

“I knew you were simpletons, but never could I have imagined such idiocy existed...”

The bandits paused, shocked, at this statement.

Yoko raised his head, and his eye were the shade of lightening.

“That you would bring a miko, capable of utter purification, into the Royal Palace of the Silver Kitsune...is unforgivable!”

The kitsune acted quicker than the bandits could have anticipated. He drew a white rose from his hair, and in one fluid motion, cracked it into a whip, and severed the bandits' heads from their bodies.

Yoko inhaled deeply, the scent of the miko's blood now unmistakable. He had never encountered a miko- only heard the terrible tales- but now he understood. The scent of her blood  was not as disgusting as other ningen he had seen; this was because she was pure. But the smell of miko blood was terrifying to a youkai, and Yoko clenched his fists as he walked down the three steps from his throne. It was pure, bright, sparkling- and deadly.

The Court Room was now a blood bath, with the decapitated bodies of the youkai leaking fresh blood onto the concrete floor, the walls already splattered. It was for this reason Yoko held meetings of his could-be-victims in this room, as it was one of the few without tatami matting- it was more economical to mop blood from a smooth surface, than refurbish an entire room with mats.

Yoko approached the miko slowly. The bandit that had kicked her for the demonstration was a lowly youkai, class E at the most. Yoko was currently a class B, and so the miko couldn't affect him as much. Then again, Yoko knew this was only because she was unconscious.

The kitsune circled the miko warily. He could kill her, undoubtedly, without touching her, but it did seem rather a waste. She could possibly be the last miko in the three realms. Despite the anger pulsing through his veins at those idiots for bringing such a threat into his home and such close contact with his lineage- especially in this era, when the Silver Kitsune were so rare- he had to admire their talents. It was difficult to reach The Borders, never mind past The Barrier. Yoko had never tried it himself, as the sole heir to his clan, he could not put himself at such risk, but his comrade Kuronue sometimes made trips to the Ningenkai, and it was never an easy journey. To have then managed to sneak a miko through the Barrier, then through the Makai without being caught...

Yoko glanced at the dead bandits. Still, they had owed him massive debt. And now he had the troublesome issue of a miko, and three less bandits bringing in an income.

The kitsune decided it would just be easier to kill the miko. After all, she was a threat to the entire household, if not the whole of Akaso, and the Makai.

The problem was, due to the miko's position, she was protecting her vital organs. Yoko still held his whip in his hand, and although he knew he could sever her head as he did the bandits, he wasn't sure if the splattering of blood was such a good idea. Yoko had heard gruesome tales of what miko blood could do to youkai.

“Strangulation it is,” Yoko murmured. It was an artless murder, but quick and clean. Manipulating his whip, which was simply a thorny vine, Yoko attempted to snake the vine around the miko's neck. However, as soon as the vine came into contact with the miko's skin, it exploded.

Yoko jumped back to safety, landing in a crouched position. Concluding anything conducting youki would be ineffective, the kitsune stalked over to the nearest bandit's body, and drew his katana from a blood soaked belt.

The kitsune was not skilled with the sword; his forte was plant manipulation and martial arts. However, he could easily plunge a sword into a unconscious ningen.

Yoko took a deep breath as he held the sword over the body, standing as close as possible. He was aware of her human heartbeat, very different from the youkai one.  Planting his slippered feet firmly on the concrete, a little apart, Yoko gripped the katana with both hands, and made a downwards motion. The kitsune was so busy concentrating on the sword that he didn't notice her inhale.

It happened in a flash. Yoko plunged the sword downwards, but before the tip could pierce her exposed neck, the miko released a surge of power. It flung Yoko much further across the room than it had the bandit, and he landed ungracefully in a heap. When the kitsune finally got to his feet, he expected to see the miko up, but she was still motionless on the floor.

“Enough of this...” Yoko growled, and stormed to the shoji screen.

“Servant!” he rasped, and immediately a voice replied, “Hai, danna-sama?”

“Go quickly to the temple, and ask the elders for a ward, strong enough to hold a ningen with large spiritual power.”

“You mean a m-miko, danna-sama?” the neko-hanyou gasped. The shoji walls were thin, but Yoko had them spelled with a special charm so that those on the outside could not hear what happened within.

“Say nothing! Just go, and quickly!” Yoko demanded, and the servant ran at the sound of his voice. The kitsune sighed, picking up the scent confusing wards that the bandits had used, and stuck them to the door of the Court Room, infusing them with his ki to rejuvenate them.

Yoko slumped against the wall, his skin still tingling from the blast, watching the unmoving body as if it would attack at any moment.


~oOoOoOo~

The servant returned quickly, her eyes downcast as she held out the ward in her palms. It was a rosary, made from pink stones, that Yoko recognised to be rose quartz, and several smaller white pearls.

Why did they have to use some of our most precious and expensive jewels?

Rose Quartz was the most sacred stone to the Kitsune clan, both the Silver and the Red. Their collection of the stones was the most bounteousness in the Makai, and was guarded day and night. It was also the stone that the Elders could cast spells on the easiest, and for such a strong rosary, the strongest stones were required.

The servant was trembling, from the violence in the room, the presence of the miko, and the fact she was holding in her hands something more valuable than her own life. Yoko shut the door of the room, bringing down the wooden bar that operated as a lock.

“Come here,” Yoko ordered, and the servant quickly obeyed, her cat ears pressed to the crown of her head with distress. She darted a glance at the three mutilated bodies of the bandits, before shakily following the Prince to where the miko lay.

The kitsune took the rosary from her outstretched hands, feeling the coolness of the stones in his palms.  He observed the miko quietly, noticing that despite the flash of power, she hadn't moved an inch.

“What instruction did the elders give?” Yoko asked, his eyes analysing the miko's exposed skin. There would be no way of attaching this rosary without being blasted again, he was sure.

“You have to put it around it- her neck...” the servant whispered, morbidly fascinated with the girl on the floor.

Yoko glanced at the hanyou, his mind whirring. “Try and touch it.”

“Danna-sama?” The female asked timidly, her silver eyes widening.

“You are part human- it won't hurt you.” Yoko told her.

“B-But...” the servant faltered, wringing her hands.

Yoko glared at her, and swallowing, the neko hanyou slowly knelt, avoiding the blood splatters. The kitsune watched her as she reached out a trembling hand, and quickly touched the miko's shoulder with her finger.

“Ah!” she gasped, pulling her hand away.

There was no flash of light, and Yoko let out a breath. “Did you feel anything?”

“Just....just an electric shock,” the servant murmured, her eyes still frightened.

“Good. Put this on it then. After you are done, put it in the sack, and take it somewhere no one will find. I will take care of business here.”

Yoko glided away from the servant, his golden eyes catching hers as he unblocked the door.

“And servant, it goes without saying, that you tell no one. If you breathe a word...”

The kitsune's eyes glanced to the three bodies strewn on the floor. The hanyou's breathing hitched in fear.

“Good. I'm glad you understand.”


~oOoOoOo~

After ordering some other servants to clean up the court room, Yoko had to hold a meeting with his bandits, updating them on the recent deaths. Although it appeared he was simply informing them that three of their band had passed on, they knew what it was. A warning, plain and simple.

With that business out of the way, Yoko changed into his royal attire and attended one of the dull yet necessary General Meetings of the clans. As usual, the Red Kitsune were enraged about something or other that somehow made them feel even more insignificant than they truly were. Then there was the usual arguing over taxes, because the commoners, i.e. the brown and black kitsune, were complaining again. Then, as usual, the issue of the next heir was brought up.

Yoko felt his concentration slipping as time ticked on. These meetings were pointless, yet every week, he was made to sit in on the royals squabbling and play mediator. The issue of the heir had been discussed to death, yet as there was no simple solution, the issue was brought up again and again.

It was tragic, really. The once thriving population of Silver Kitsune had dwindled to only hundreds- there were 89 members of the Royal Silver Kitsune family, and the majority of these were male, and old. There had been a string of deaths caused by an unknown disease, which had wiped out practically all the younger generation. As it were, the number of Silver Kitsune females were limited. The only one remotely Yoko's age was his younger sister. The remaining were far too young, or past kit bearing age. Therefore, there was a problem in securing the next Crown Prince.

The Red Kitsune saw this as their chance, and argued that the next Crown Prince should be a Red. Their population was greater- of 143. But the Silver clan disagreed- they were not the royalty. There was tension between the clans, as the Silvers were convinced the disease that had affected the clan had been a concocted by the Reds.

Yoko emerged from the Meeting exhausted and irritated. The newest solution was that Yoko should mate as soon as possible to Sumire, a kit who was nearest womanhood. The idea repulsed Yoko- he was several centuries older than her, and he did not find that attractive in the slightest. His mother and her mother had been sisters, and although mating cousins was not new, Yoko did not relish rutting with someone he saw like a little sister.

“But, Yoko-sama, you would only need to mate with her once every few decades...you could of course, have as many concubines as you pleased...”

The Elders had pleaded, but Yoko stayed firm. It might seem like an ideal solution to the old males who no longer felt the call of their loins, but the King of Thieves refused to relent. If there was no other solution, they could wait until Sumire was older, he decided. There was no rush- he was young and healthy. Plus, her life would no doubt be endangered by pregnancy at such a young age, and she was sure to produce a weak heir.

The rest of Yoko's day was consumed with affairs of the state, with discussions of war on the horizon. As his Chief in Command briefed the cabinet and himself, Yoko found himself with a stifling headache.

~oOoOoOo~


Yoko was glad when had finished his evening meal. After praying quickly at the shrine in the grounds of the Palace, the kitsune climbed up the secret stairway, to his private chambers. He felt the tension bubble in his shoulder blades, and he cracked his back as he reached the last floor. Yoko pondered calling for a masseuse, but realised he would rather sleep than wait for someone to travel all the way from the pleasure district.

The secret corridor was eerily quiet compared to the buzz and commotion of the other parts of the palace. It was also pitch black, but that didn't bother Yoko, even though his night time vision was not perfect. The kitsune revelled in the silence as he climbed the last few stairs.

Yoko's private chambers were located on the seventh floor of the Palace. It was accessible by the main staircase, but the kitsune was in no mood to bump into any of his fellow bandits, or any of the clan. Only Yoko could use the secret staircase, as only his youki would open the door at either end.
The kitsune entered his chambers with a weary sigh, ensuring the secret door was securely locked. The Makai had grown a lot more stable in the last few decades, but one still had to be careful.

Yoko didn't bother to light a candle as he undressed- he was planning to sleep straight away. The kitsune shrugged out of his silk kashimoto, removed his katana and took off his slippers. The night was cool, a slight breeze coming in through the high up slats in the wall. Yoko approached his futon, which was on a slightly raised platform, curtained by silver organza drapes. He was about to pull back the curtain when he saw a shape on the futon.

Or rather, a figure.

Yoko immediately reached for his hair, his fingers threading through the silver strands. Finding his rose, the kitsune drew back the curtain with a swish, weapon at the ready.

The clouds passed from the moon, and light trickled in through the wooden slats.

Yoko's breath caught in his throat. Instead of some assassin lying in wait...the forgotten miko was lying asleep in his bed.


~oOoOoOo~

Someone had cleaned her up- the servant, presumably- and she was no longer bloodied. She was dressed in a clean white yukata, with white tabi socks on her feet. Her hair, long and dark, was spread out over the pillows, and her right hand was curled under her cheek.

Yoko hadn't seen her face, and was immediately conflicted by what he saw. If she had been a youkai, he would have called her beautiful. But she was ningen, and moreover, a miko. His flesh crawled at the thought.

She was young- he did not know how human ages worked, but he guessed she had entered womanhood. Her skin was flawless, despite the blood that had flowed earlier. Yoko was greatly relieved to see the rosary around her neck, tight like a choker. Did that mean he could touch her now? Kill her?

The kitsune inhaled, trying to catch her scent. Why didn't he smell her when he entered the room? Then he realised the servant had stuck the scent confusing wards to the futon's curtain posts.

What possessed her to bring the miko here, to my bed ?
  
Yoko leaned over her precariously, and reached out the index finger of his left hand, his right clutching the rose. Slowly, he touched the miko's face.

The kitsune immediately pulled his finger back when skin contacted skin, but there was no spark, not even a shock. Yoko was contemplating this when the miko made a sudden noise, and opened her eyes.


~oOoOoOo~

Kagome's head was throbbing. No, not even throbbing, it was bouncing. She felt as though an industrial drill was piercing her cranium, while someone else chipped away with a hammer at her temple for good measure. Plus there seemed to be a nest of bees buzzing in each of her ears. But the rest of her body was strangely comfortable, as if she were floating, weightless.

Kagome tried to force the pain in her head to stop, but if anything, it heightened. Then, suddenly, something prodded her face, and the pain exploded.

“Itaiiiii!” Kagome awoke with a start, and the first thing she saw was golden eyes, looking down at her.

Her brain went into meltdown.

“Inu...Inuyasha?” The miko gasped, but as soon as the words were out of her mouth, she knew she was mistaken. Inuyasha's eyes were like melted honey. These eyes were like molten lava.

Panicking, Kagome twisted away from the stranger, and in her haste, fell from a small height. Winded, Kagome recognised the smell of fresh straw, and felt tatami matting under her cheek. Transparent material tangled around her head.

 Where on earth am I?

The miko clumsily sat up, and saw that she had been lying on a raised futon, surrounded by drapes. The stranger still stood at the opposite side, coolly regrading her. The room was very dark, the only light coming from some gaps in the wall. Suddenly, the light intensified as the moon shone through the clouds.

Kagome stared.

He was a youkai- not doubt about it. On top of his long, silver hair was a pair of ears, larger and pointer than a certain hanyou's. One of his hands rested in his hair, and Kagome couldn't help but compare it to the other silver haired demons she knew- it was longer than Inuyasha's, and silkier and finer than Sesshomaru's.

He was only wearing a pair of silver hakama, tapered at the waist and form fitting. His hair brushed his skin, which was tan, and muscular. Although he was tall and slim, he was not slightly built.

“Ano...” Kagome once again met the youkai's eyes, and they were mesmerising. He looked as surprised to see her as she was him, but his stature was much more graceful.

“I'm Higurashi Kagome...pleased to meet you,” the miko said, quickly bowing her head, though it still hurt. “And who may you be?”

The youkai removed his hand from his hair, and Kagome was shocked to see a rose in between his fingers- a beautiful, perfectly formed, white rose.

“That does not concern you, miko,” the youkai breathed, his voice husky. “As you are about to die.”

~oOoOoOo~


Yoko was not often confused. But this female had completely thrown him.

He had expected her to scream upon waking in a strange place, and perhaps even faint upon seeing a youkai. He knew, from Kuronue, that youkai were no longer believed in by most people in the Ningenkai, apart from in something called 'film'. He had thought the girl would have been terrified out of her wits, more so, when he announced he was going to kill her. He expected her to wail, and beg for her life.

The miko, to her credit, did not look surprised, or alarmed. Instead, she simply sighed.

“Ah, that old chestnut. Well, I can't complain, it has been a while...”

The kitsune was perplexed by the girl's turn of phrase and casual manner, but he stood his ground.

He watched as she rubbed her head, muttering to herself. Then her fingers fell on the rosary.

“Ehhh? What's this?”

The human touched the beads curiously, then her face changed. A look of horror passed over her features, and she grasped the beads with her fingers, jerking and pulling at it.

“No way! You've got to be kidding me, right?? This has to be a dream!”

Yoko blinked. He, the great Yoko Kurama, had not even caused the girl to blink, but the   rosary, a harmless necklace, had caused her to take a fit?

“Do not even try to remove it, miko. It will not come off.”

The girl glared at him, and clamoured onto the bed, pointing at the kitsune as she spoke.

“Let me guess. Osuwari, is it?”

Yoko frowned. She must be suffering from the blow to her head. That would explain why she is not afraid.

“Miko, silence. I am the great Yoko Kurama, King of Thieves and Prince of the Silver Kitsune. I demand your respect, and I suggest you observe the danger of your situation.”

Yoko raised the rose threateningly, and the girl tilted her head, regarding him.

“Your time is up, miko.”


~oOoOoOo~

Kagome's eyes widened as she heard the crack of the rose turning into a whip. She had seen enough in her years of fighting in the Feudal Era to know not to wait around to see what happened next. Though it had been three years since she had been fighting youkai, her old instincts were still razor sharp. She had kept fit and healthy in case the well ever reopened.

“Why are you attacking me?” Kagome protested, vaulting off the bed as the whip flew by her, taking some of her hair with it. She flew through the curtains, falling from the platform onto the floor below. Her head still throbbed from some unknown injury but she forced herself to get up. The whip slashed by her again, this time cutting her cheek and leaving a nasty sting. Kagome couldn't help but gasp at the contact, and she ducked and dived the best she could, trying to find a door in the large and unfamiliar dark room.

“There's no where to run, miko!” The kitsune hissed.

“Yeah, I've heard that before,” Kagome countered, trying to summon her miko powers desperately, but the rosary made a humming noise each time.

“Wait! This isn't a fair fight, if I can't even use my powers!” Kagome exclaimed suddenly.

The kitsune slunk out from the darkness, holding his whip between his fingers.

“I never said I was fair, miko,” he remarked with a smirk.

“Figures.” Kagome sighed, her eyes glancing around the room for any weapon. “But you know, I think it's rather unfair all the same. What did I ever do to you? Yoko Kurama, was it? I've never even heard of you before!”

The kitsune regarded her silently. Kagome touched her cheek, wincing a little at the pain the whip had left. Must be the thorns.

 ~oOoOoOo~

Yoko watched as the miko winced, touching the only injury he had managed to deliver. He hadn't expected her to be such an agile, flighty little thing. He had been unable to kill her because he was fearful of her blood splattering him. He knew the rosary stopped her powers getting out, but her blood was a different matter.

He could smell the small cut on her cheek, the slight tinge of blood in the air making his senses prick one again, and his body became tense. She had recognised the rosary straight away- did that mean she knew its limitations?

The miko made no move to approach him, however. She simple scowled, muttering under her breath about “Stupid youkai,” and “Be nice to meet a golden eyed guy that didn't try to kill me when we meet for the first time.”

The kitsune waited, analysing her next move. He dare not approach her when he did not know her knowledge of the rosary. The human suddenly looked up at him, meeting him straight in the eye without a flinch or fear.

“What is it? Why have you stopped attacking me?” She asked, confused.

Yoko observed her silently.

 She could be acting innocent, and is waiting to strike as soon as I get any closer, or she is really ignorant to the danger her blood poses to me. Either way, I cannot take any chances.

“You are quite correct, miko.” Yoko said suddenly, “You have personally not committed any offence against me, and I do not kill innocents when I can avoid it.”

The miko's face immediately lit up, and she smiled brilliantly.

“Ah! Thank you so much!” She gasped, and bowed to him. “Well, I'll just be getting on my way then. I have no idea how I got here, but sorry for the inconvenience...”

“However...” Yoko approached her quickly, grabbing her wrists so she could not attack, “I am afraid you owe me a rather large debt, miko. And this must be repaid.”

The female tried to free herself from his grip, but he was immobile. In his large hands, her wrists were tiny and fragile. She immediately stopped struggling, and looked up at him angrily.

“What debt? I told you, I don't know who-”

“You were captured by my bandits and given to me as payment. However, your life was overvalued. As a result, their debt is passed onto you. You now owe me the lives of three bandits, as well as seven thousand piece of gold.”

The miko blinked, taking in this information with an open mouth.

“Ano...how much is that in Yen?” she asked.

Yoko frowned. “I do not know this currency. Assuming you do not have such funds on your person, you will have to pay the money back by working for me.”

“For how long?” The miko asked, fearfully.

“Oh...” Yoko's eyes narrowed as he calculated. “Adding together the profits those bandits would have made me in the remaining years of their service, and considering the wage I pay the servants of this castle...I would say approximately three hundred years, seven months and two days.”

“What?” The miko exclaimed, and for the first time Yoko saw fear in her eyes. “I'm only human, you know! We're lucky to live for a hundred years at the most!!”

“That short a time?” Yoko frowned. “Well, I guess that will have to do.”

“Ehh?” the miko one again struggled in his gasp, her eyes widening. They were a deep blue, he noticed, a strange colour for a female with such dark coloured hair. “Please be serious! I'm not just going to become your servant! Who do you think you are? Baka!”

The miko tugged at her wrists angrily, and when the kitsune remained stoic, she attempted to kick his shin.

“Miko...” the kitsune slammed her against the wooden wall of his chamber, savouring the gasp of pain she made. “You still have not grasped the situation. You are entirely my prisoner. You are no longer in the Ningenkai; you are alone and completely powerless. If you value your life, I suggest you obey me and be silent.”

The girl had her eyes squeezed shut, her lips firmly pressed together. She had lost her breath by the force the kitsune had used against her, but she refused to show her pain.

“Where is this place?” she finally asked.

“The Makai. This province is called Akaso.”

“M-Makai?” The miko repeated, her eyes flashing open. “What do you mean?”

“It is as I said. You have unknowingly crossed the barrier between your world and mine.” Yoko tilted her chin upwards, and his golden eyes bore into hers.

“There is no hope of escape for you, miko. Ningen are considered food in these lands...and if any youkai was ever to come across one such as yourself...”
The kitsune bared gleaming fangs, “Words cannot describe what they would do to you.”

~oOoOoOo~

Kagome swallowed, realisation of her perilous situation finally sinking in.

I'm in a demon world...a world I didn't know even existed, a world where my kind are killed...

“Then why was I brought here?” Kagome asked, trying to sound brave, despite the towering youkai that held her against the wall.

“Some of my men mistakenly thought they could use you to pay off their debts. They were wrong, and their lives were lost because of it.”

“So, why can't I just go home?” the miko asked, pleadingly, “Please, I just want to go home!”

“You cannot,” the kitsune remarked, “It is more than my life is worth to try and get you to the barrier. Besides, as I have said, you now have a debt to repay on their behalf.”

Kagome looked away from the kitsune's eyes, realising he was not going to relent. So she was stuck here, destined to spend the rest of her life as a servant? Even Inuyasha couldn't save her from this situation...

“Why can't you just kill me then?” Kagome said quietly. “You were going to before. I don't particularly want to spend the rest of my days as a servant.”

“Really?” Yoko replied. “Well, if you would prefer...”

The kitsune suddenly lifted her up by her throat, her spine scraping off the wall at the speed of the sudden movement. Kagome cried out, her hands wilding clutching his, her nails scratching desperately at his skin. Yoko observed her calmly as she struggled, his large hand squeezing the life from her, as she coughed and choked.

“Ya...ma...te!” she wheezed, her legs kicking uselessly, “on..e..ga..i!”

The kitsune held her for a moment, and Kagome saw blackness squeeze the corners of her vision, her head throbbing as her lungs begged for air. Then she was released, falling with a thump to the floor, lying in an ungrateful heap as her hands rushed to her throat.

“As I thought...” Yoko said scornfully, crossing his arms and looking down at her, “You are not so eager to die.”

Kagome couldn't reply, too busy massaging her throat and gulping in air. The rosary rubbed her already irritated skin, and the miko pulled at it desperately, trying to find a way to take it off.

If only I had my powers, I could escape...

“I have told you, it will not come off. Until my final day, that rosary will bind your magic.”

The kitsune crouched down slowly, and grabbed the miko by the front of her yukata, dragging her up to her feet. Kagome regarded him venomously, still clutching her throat.

“Till death do us part, miko-sama.” Yoko whispered sardonically.

“You'll live to regret this...” Kagome retorted, and her eyes were burning with such a fierce blue fire that the kitsune felt uncomfortable. Not wanting to take any chances, he moved his hand from her yukata, and swiftly hit the pressure point at the back of her neck.

~oOoOoOo~

“A miko? Ne, Yoko, how come you get all the luck?”

The kitsune observed his koumori comrade for sarcasm, but as usual, Kuronue was being serious. The bat youkai was currently squatted down by the young girl's side, examining her with his face in his hands.

She looked different in the daylight. Softer, more delicate. Yoko had been taken aback when he had woken up in the morning, and seen the miko still lying on the tatami. He had been even more surprised when he had approached her, and seen the purple bruises on her pale neck, the red cut on her white cheek.

“Ahh, I bet her blood tastes divine,” Kuronue mused, rolling his head back and forth. “I'd be too scared to try it though...”

“It was the only reason I could not kill her out right,” Yoko admitted, standing behind the bandit. “I too, was fearful of what her blood could do...”

“Poor thing...” Kuronue chuckled, reaching out to touch the girl's neck, “You forget how easily hurt ningen are...”

“Do not pity her,” Yoko scolded, “She is a miko after all.”

“But a pretty one,” smirked Kuronue, getting to his feet and regarding his friend playfully, “Another reason why you didn't kill her?”

“Hardly,” Yoko scoffed, casting the unconscious girl a cold look. “She is plain compared to the females of this land.”

“Hmm,” Kuronue said with a smile, as he pulled a sack from his shoulder, “Well, here are the things you requested anyway. Ears, tail, and the fur you needed for the potion. What kind of are you going to try and pass her off as anyway? She is dark haired; perhaps the mountain neko?”

Yoko took the sack, drawing out the the items, and the glass jar that contained a handful of black fur.

“She has blue eyes. I thought perhaps the Arctic clan.”

“I see.”

Kuronue watched as Yoko knelt down at his low wooden table, where he mixed most of his potions. The kitsune pulled out several seeds from his hair, his face concentrated as he poured hot water in a glass blown bowl.

The bat turned away, fixing his gaze back to the fallen miko. He often took trips to the Ningenkai- there were many items there that were unobtainable in the Makai and so sold well on the black market- but he had never been so close to a ningen before. Her skin seemed to have natural perfume scent, like vanilla or sugar cane...

“She smells nice,” Kuronue commented, crouching next to the miko again. “I thought her kind would have a terrible smell, so as to warn us off...”

The bat youkai noticed bracelets of purple bruises around the girl's wrist, and he lifted up her arm carefully.

“Her skin is very soft too...” he whispered, tracing the blue veins under the girl's pale skin, feeling the pulse of the blood under his fingertips...

“Kuronue!” Yoko's voice made the koumori snap out of his senses, and he dropped the girl's arm as though he had been scalded.

“Baka, you were about to bite her, weren't you?” The kitsune accused him, helping his friend up to his feet. “That is why her kind is so dangerous! Everything about her is designed to reel you in!”

“I see that now,” Kuronue laughed embarrassedly. “The sooner you make her smell like a neko, the better!”


~oOoOoOo~

When Kagome awoke, she had the sickening sensation of deja vu. She was lying on the bed on the platform again, and the silver drapes were drawn. The room was bright, and it was daytime; the heat of Spring permeated the air. The miko sat up slowly, wincing at the new pains, and took her time to drink in the room. In the dark, and amid the confusion of the night before, she hadn't seen it in proper clarity.

It was a large room, and decorated tastefully. The walls were made traditionally from stone and wood. Tatami mats covered the floor, and Kagome wondered if she was in the past or the present, or perhaps a traditional house. There was a beautiful screen over to the far left; it was framed with shiny black lacquer. It depicted a beautiful sakura blossom scene, and seemed to be very old by the antique yellow parchment. The screen seemed to hide a door.

But there was another door to the far right of the room. Kagome rose up slowly, waiting for the silver fox to pounce, but it appeared she was alone.

Beside the bed was a large wardrobe made of some sort of scented wood; it was intricately patterned with carvings, panels and insets of beautiful coloured jewels. A small low table of the same wood was placed nearby, equal in its adornment, with silver silk cushions placed around it. Kagome was surprised to see, as she parted the drapes, that a small round pool was built into the floor in the middle of the room. Rose petals drifted across the surface; several bamboo flasks sat to the side of it. Four large silver candles completed the scene.

 He said he was a Prince, Kagome recalled. I suppose that explains the room.

The miko adjusted her yukata- it was rather too big, the sleeves reaching past her fingertips, and the collar dipping dangerously low. Luckily she was still wearing underwear, though her backpack was no where to be seen.

The miko walked over to the first door, not surprised to find it locked. She tried the second, behind the screen, but there was no latch and or keyhole of any kind- the door fitted seamlessly into the wall, and she couldn't get it to budge.

Sighing, Kagome sat down on the steps of the platform, chewing her lip as she assessed her wounds. She had obtained some sort of blow to the back of her head- it didn't hurt as much as it had before, but was still thumping. There was a bandage on it now, however. This stumped Kagome a bit. It certainly couldn't have been the kitsune's doing.

 It must have been who ever dressed me; Kami please let it have been a woman, or even a female youaki!

Then there was the cut on her cheek, which still stung from the nettles. It too, was covered by a square bandage attached with tape. Kagome touched it thoughtfully.  

Next was her throat, which from the tenderness of her skin when she touched it, she assumed was black and blue.

Not at all a pretty picture. But I've been worse, and been in worse situations. I'll make it through somehow!

Kagome was just readjusting the belt of her yukata when the first door opened. The miko started a little at the sudden sound in the quiet room, and locked gazes with the golden eyed kitsune.

Her heart fluttered a little in fear at seeing him, and she dropped her hands clumsily. The cut on her cheek began to prickle uncomfortably.

“I have secured your place as a servant in the palace,” The kitsune said, as approached the low table and picked up some items from it. “You will assume an alias as a neko hanyou, because ningen are illegal in Makai.”

Kagome took this in silently as Yoko approached her.

“If anyone asks, you are from the Fuki Artic clan. You must wear these at all times.”

Yoko showed the miko the items from the table. One was a pair of black cat ears, so authentic looking Kagome almost felt sick. She took these with no response, glad to see that the pink lining of the ear was made from velvet, though professionally so.

“This is your scent. Again, you must wear this at all times so that no one will realise who you really are; if you are found out to be a miko, your death is assured.”

Kagome took the small glass phial attached with string from the kitsune. It was the size of her thumb, and contained suspicious looking dust. The miko sniffed, but couldn't really pin down what it smelled like.

“Do you really think others will believe I am a hanyou?” Kagome asked, as she put on the cat ears. They were specially designed so that they slid under her hair, and didn't sit on top. She then slipped the scent bottle around her neck.

“It is your job to convince them,” Yoko replied, surprised she hadn't asked what the term 'hanyou' meant. He scrutinised the miko's appearance. He had investigated, and the Fuki Artic clan were among the most rare of the neko clans. The miko's appearance would still stick out among the other neko hanyou servants, who were mainly greys or blacks, but the rarity should be enough to satisfy any questioners. “It is lucky you are so plain looking; no one should pay you any attention.”

“Plain looking!” Kagome repeated, and she clenched her fists, her cheeks reddening.

If only he knew!  The miko thought angrily, of all the youkai and hanyou that have fallen in love with me!

But Kagome didn't want a repeat performance of the night before, so she simply sighed.

Yoko watched the battle of emotions across her face with interest, but when she met his eyes again he swiftly looked away. He picked up a small cloth bag, and tossed it to her.

“In there is your working yukata. Change into now, and the one you are wearing you may use for sleeping. There are also a pair of straw sandals. You will need a proper kimono for serving at formal occasions, but until you can afford it, you shall have to borrow from the others.”

Kagome took this information in on the surface, but actually she was planning how to get away. She had determined this place was a palace, and judging by the structure of the room it was a castle of some sort. Well, she had escaped from castles before. She could do it again.

Yoko could see the miko was not paying full attention, so he grabbed her arm. She blinked distractedly, and looked at him as though lost.

“Miko, I advise you pay attention when I am speaking to you. As your Master and the Prince of this Palace, I demand your complete attention.”

Kagome blinked again, and Yoko could see a surge of rage in her eyes, the blue flame once again flickering. After a pregnant pause, she quenched the fire, and dipped her head.

“Hai.”


~oOoOoOo~

Kagome had met many crazy, violent and egotistical youkai in her time, but this kitsune really took the piss. After he had unhanded her, he left the room to allow her to change. She did so quickly, donning the plain navy yukata. Her mother had always helped her on festival days, so she struggled to fasten the yukata with its complicated process of putting on the obi. Irritated at how long she was taking, Yoko entered the room while she was still battling with the length of white cloth.

“Hey, I'm not ready!” Kagome gasped, and she spun around so her back was facing him, keeping the yukata tight around her with her hands.

“In the name of Kami...” The kitsune muttered, and in a few steps was behind her. Kagome resisted shuddering as he fixed her crooked collar, and held out his hand for the himo. He quickly wrapped it around her hips, tying it neatly before asking for the second. The miko felt a blush creep over her at this intimate invasion of privacy as the tie slipped under her bust; although he wasn't actually touching her, Kagome felt shivery. Finally the obi was wrapped around her waist, and the kitsune tied it with ease. The miko was impressed; her mama usually took time with the process, yet the kitsune had finished it quickly.

At the expression on her face, Yoko smirked. “Practise makes perfect,” he murmured, “Though I'm far superior at taking them off than putting them on.”

Kagome flushed at this statement, clumsily putting her discarded yukata into the cloth bag. The kitsune was waiting in the cool corridor for her, and they left without another word.

~oOoOoOo~

Kagome was introduced to the Head Servant, and she could tell straight away she was going to be difficult to work for. She was also hanyou, a pig youkai as it were, which really said it all. All the servants were hanyou, from what Kagome could tell. The miko felt a throbbing pain for Inuyasha, and was almost glad he wasn't here to witness this.

“You will refer to me as Bancho-sama,” the head servant said, after Yoko had departed without a goodbye, leaving them in the kitchen. Everyone had fallen to their knees upon his arrival, but now the room was buzzing again with action, cleaning, washing and cooking.

“Newcomers must rise first in the morning. You get up and make breakfast for servants. Then you hang out washing, scrub the floors, and prepare breakfast for the Palace. Understand?”

Kagome nodded faintly, her resolution to run away increasing by the minute. Bancho snorted. She had black glittering eyes and a circular nose. She looked Kagome up and down, taking in her cuts and bruises with a snort. Her eyes widened when she clocked the rosary, but Yoko must have made a comment on it, because she didn't try to rip it from her.

“You don't look strong. You have to be strong to work in this place. Otherwise, Bancho dock your pay!”

Kagome nodded again, feeling faint. Other hanyou in the kitchen were watching the exchange from the corner of their eyes, including a beautiful neko-hanyou with long silver hair and sparkling grey eyes. Her eyes grew bigger and bigger as she watched Kagome, making her feel even more self conscious about being a miko in disguise.

“Here,” Bancho dumped a pile of wet clothing into Kagome's arms. She almost tumbled over with the weight, the cold wet seeping through her yukata. “Get to work!”

~oOoOoOo~

Kagome had always helped out with the chores at home, but this type of work was in a different spectrum altogether. The miko tried not to gasp as she struggled to fill a huge steel pot with water from the well, which was a good walk from kitchen. The weight was unbearable, but Kagome knew she had to pretend to be hanyou, not ningen.

Inuyasha could have carried this, Kagome thought, tears forming in her eyes. He would have lifted it one hand and and ran.

It took her a long time to get the water up onto the wooden burning stove (it turned out that electricity didn't work in the Makai) and by this time, others were noticing her slowness.

“What's taking you?” muttered one, an inu hanyou. She growled at Kagome as she set about doing the other chores the miko should have already had completed. Sighing, Kagome emptied the heavy bag of rice into the pot, and began to help the others prepare the meal.

~oOoOoOo~

Kagome was shouted at and scorned greatly on her first day; it just seemed she couldn't do anything right. She was a weakling; she couldn't cook; she couldn't sew. The list went on and on. Kagome strived to do everything she could as fast as she could, but she just made more mistakes. Bancho had a wooden rolling pin that she waved about when angry; Kagome felt the force of its blows all over her body.

The only good thing about getting water from the well (which had to be done almost every minute of the day) was that she got the chance to go outside. Kagome's instincts had been correct- the palace was an old fashioned castle, a massive and towering castle at that. It reminded the miko of her visit to Himeji castle on her family holiday in Osaka. Like Himeji, the castle was made of white stone. It was eight stories high, and its roof tiles were a beautiful glittering silver, which dazzled when the sun shone. The well was in a portioned off section of the grounds shielded with walls, so it was hard to tell how large the castle grounds were- but judging by the size of the palace, the miko knew they would be impressive.

The only servant who talked to her, rather than scolded her, was the grey haired neko-hanyou. She had watched her carefully for the last few hours, and occasionally corrected the miko when she was trying to complete a task. Kagome learned her name was Kaoru, and she was from the Souzou mountain clan.

Kagome had missed breakfast in her haste to catch up on her tasks, and lunch was quick affair, simply a helping of rice, and a little fish. The miko was so ravenous she could have eaten three portions. Her stomach grumbled as she helped to prepare the lavish meals for the Palace royalty and guests. She wished she had some of Sango's poison on her, so she could slip it into the Prince's food.

Bancho seemed determined to keep her in the kitchen, and Kagome suspected Yoko had  ordered her not to the miko out into the main part of the palace. There was no escape route here; the walled garden that contained the well was far too high for her, and any time she tried to leave the room Bancho gave her a new task.

The miko got through the day in a daze, her whole body aching with fatigue. By the time dinner came around, she was almost sleeping in her bowl. She could have cried when Bancho told her she would have to rise at five, being a newcomer. There was a clear pecking order among the servants; the fact Kagome was weak and from a clan none of the other neko had heard of isolated her immediately.

Kagome knew she would have to get up even earlier to complete the tasks that needed to be done. She watched the clock hoping for an early night, but she wasn't allowed to retire until twelve.

“There is no room in the servant bedroom,” Bancho told her, her piggy face sneering. “You can sleep under the table in the kitchen. After a servant leaves, you may take her place.”

Kagome stood in disbelief as her fellow servants shuffled out of the kitchen. Kaoru looked at her with pity as she left with the others. The miko put her head in her hands, but no tears came. She was too exhausted.

If she had possessed the energy, she would have ransacked the pantry for food, but instead, Kagome took some dirty potato sacks from the corner and used them for bedding. She curled up under the table, and prayed that she would wake up on time.
Oh, Inuyasha, if only you could come and save me... Kagome thought bitterly, and the tears did finally flow. She allowed herself to wallow in self pity for a moment before she pulled herself together. No one is coming to save you this time. It's all down to you!
Kagome bit her lip, shivering on the cold stone floor, the potato sacks doing little to warm her skin.
I'll wait a few days until I know this place better, then I'll try and escape!

Kagome woke with a start, the sound of movement in the kitchen making her jump, and she whacked her head off the table.

“I-I-Itai!” the miko gasped, clutching her bandaged head. She stumbled to her feet, fear making her heart skip. I've slept too late!

Kagome was still holding her head when she saw the Kaoru come back into the kitchen, carrying the heavy water pan in her arms.

“Ahh, you're awake,” she smiled, and set the pot on to boil effortlessly.

Kagome glanced at the clock, dismayed to see it was half five. “Gomen nasai, Kaoru-san...I know I was supposed to get up first...”

Kaoru simply smiled, emptying the huge bags of rice into the pot, not spilling one grain despite the sack's enormous size. “It's alright, Kagome-san. You looked like you needed the rest.”

The miko watched opened-mouthed, shocked that this servant would be so nice to her compared to the others who had been so quick to condemn her.

Kaoru laughed at her stunned expression, and motioned to her head, which she was still clutching. “Does your head still hurt? Would you like me to bandage it again for you?” As soon as she had uttered the works, the neko hanyou clapped a hand over her mouth. Kagome blinked, taking in her words.

“You...then...you know...what I am?” Kagome realised she wasn't making much sense, but she was just so shocked at this sudden revelation. Kaoru flushed, immediately turning her back on Kagome to stir the rice.

“I...sumimasen. Please forget what I said...” Kaoru said quietly. Kagome stood silently for a few seconds, before clearing her head.

“Gomen, I didn't quite hear what you said before, because of the boiling water. I'm just going to cut the vegetables now...”

Kaoru smiled at the miko as she began to slice the egg plants.

 ~OoOoOoO~

The grey neko became Kagome's faithful shadow that day. Whenever heavy lifting had to be done, Kaoru was there- helping to lift boxes of tofu, crates of pickles, or canteens of sake. If Kagome was taking too long with a task, Kaoru secretly helped her with it. Kagome wasn't sure why the grey neko was being so nice to her. If Karou really knew she was a miko, she had every right to be afraid and ignore her. Instead, she seemed determined to help Kagome protect her secret.

 Or, she could be acting on Yoko's orders...making sure I don't get discovered...

Kagome was getting cabin fever, having being kept within the confines of the kitchen, pantry, and same well garden for the last day. It was only when nature called that she saw an opportunity to explore the castle.

“Bancho-sama,” the miko piped up, after successfully folding all the fresh linen, “May I please be excused to the outhouse?”

She had heard this phrase uttered throughout yesterday and these last few hours, but only now did she understand its meaning. Indoor plumbing also did not exist in the Makai.

Bancho looked at her, and Kagome could see panic flit across her black beady eyes. Even a slave driver like Bancho couldn't stop someone going to relieve themselves. The miko smiled inwardly. This might be the only chance at escape she would get.

“Fine. Kaoru, show her where they are located.”

Kagome faltered a little as Kaoru beamed, and guided the miko out of the kitchen. If she tried to escape now, and was success, the blame and punishment would fall on her newly acquired acquaintance.  Well, I can still have a look about. Tonight, when everyone sleeps, I can make a run for it.