Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained To You ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter go
Scene: The Palace of the Silver Kitsune, Akaso


“Oi, servant,” Kagome paused in the corridor, as she carried the empty dishes of Yoko's evening meal.

“Yes?” the miko replied, reining in her irritation, turning to the sound of the voice.

Facing her was a beautiful brown kitsune geisha. Her hair was piled on top of her head, a few stray curls tickling her cheeks. She had dark, doll like eyes, highlighted by thick black Kohl. Her heavy pink kimono hung suggestively from her shoulders and her blue obi was tied so tightly under her massive bust Kagome was surprised the female could breathe.

“Escort me to Yoko-san's room. You're his new servant, are you not?”

The miko's eyes widened, but she managed to mask her surprise.

“Certainly,” she said. The miko disposed of the empty plates in an unused guest room, and led the geisha up the many stairs. Kagome couldn't help but smile inside when she heard the kitsune struggle with the amount of steps.

“Please wait in here, and I will go alert the master of your arrival,” Kagome said, feinting subservience for the hundredth time that day.  

“Very well,” said the geisha, and she wasted no time inspecting the Silver Prince's quarters. I guess it's her first time here...

“Do you wish for anything?” Kagome suddenly asked, remembering Juri's advice.

“Yes, bring me a mirror,” the kitsune ordered.

Kagome faltered. Yoko doesn't have one? He's not as vain as I thought.


The miko went in search of a mirror, realising how long it had been since she had looked at herself.

I wouldn't want to. I don't need reminded of how “plain” I am here!

Kagome finally located one, although it was a traditional hand held one. She resisted the urge to sneak a peak at herself because she knew it would do little for her self esteem. After giving it to the geisha, she was about to go find the Silver Prince when she was interrupted-

“I'm hungry- some mussels will suffice. And sake, plum. Make sure it's chilled.”

Kagome gritted her teeth. “Yes, right away.” Who on earth does she think she is?

The miko fumed as she entered the kitchen, glad to see Kaoru was there alone.

“Ahh Kagome-chan!” the grey neko beamed upon seeing her friend. “It feels like a long time! How are you? You look well!”

Kagome hugged the girl happily. “I'm doing so much better, thank you! And you?”

“I'm great,” Kaoru replied, “Now that Bancho's been fired, the kitchen is so much quieter!”

“I didn't know about that!” Kagome gasped, “Is it because of the Washi thing?”

“Yes,” Karou nodded, her eyes bright. “She won't be missed! But anyway, what are you here for? Is Yoko-sama still hungry?”

“Unfortunately not...” the miko replied, “I've just escorted some kitsune geisha to his room. She's got an appetite fit for a prince, mind you...”

Kaoru giggled. “Well, don't worry about it too much. Yoko-sama rarely uses the same girl twice.”

“Oh, really?” Kagome said, interested. “I thought he would have his favourites...seeing how he's so particular about things.”

“Hmm,” Kaoru acknowledged as she dried plates. “I think it's so the girls don't get too attached...”

God help them, the miko thought.

“Anyway, she wants mussels and sake...” Kagome commented. “I don't even think we have any mussels...”

“Ahh, Yoko-sama!” Kaoru's sudden start made the miko jump.

“Oh, there you are, Kagome,” Yoko said, “I need you to wake me up early tomorrow.”

“O-okay,” Kagome stuttered, shocked by the kitsune's sudden appearance.

“Did Maiyu arrive?”

The miko was blank for a moment before she realised what he had asked.

“Ahh, yes! She's in your room. She wanted some food, I was just preparing it.”

The kitsune gave a grin, baring a little fang.

“Oh did she? Bring it up in two hours. She will be ready for it by then.”

With that, the Prince left the two females in stunned silence in the kitchen.

~oOoOoOo~

The two hours went by far too fast for Kagome. It was typical how time usually crawled right before the end of her shift- but tonight she seemed to blink and it had reached midnight.

“What do I do?” Kagome panicked to Kaoru. “I don't want to...interrupt anything! But I can't go to bed in case he was serious and wants the food delivered!”

“You could just leave it outside the door,” Kaoru comforted her. “That way you won't see anything...”

“But my room's right along the corridor!” Kagome moaned. “Mou, I wish I'd never moved to that floor!”

Kaoru patted her back. “You're always welcome to sleep with me- but I wouldn't want to anger Yoko-sama, after he especially gave you that room. I'm sorry Kagome-chan, there's no easy solution.”

I don't know why I'm so nervous! The miko cursed herself as she took the tray up to the seventh floor. Maybe because it's a glimpse into an unknown world? Thanks to her treks in the past, Kagome had missed out on her awkward high school phase of dating and 'getting to base'. Not that she couldn't have slept around if she'd wanted- plenty of guys had offered. But Inuyasha had still held her heart, and doing anything with anyone else still seemed like cheating.

Kagome said a prayer of thanks that the corridor was silent, and not echoing with x-rated screams as she had imagined. She scuttled silently to the door, gave it the barest of taps, and plunked the tray down. She was making a fast escape when she heard the door slide open. She felt Yoko before she heard him.

“Where are you going in such a hurry, miko-sama?” the kitsune asked lazily, inspecting the tray.
“And why is there only food for one- did you not think I would be hungry too?”

Kagome inwardly cringed at the rebuke. “Ahh, I'm so sorry. What would you like to eat?” she asked. She averted her eyes when she saw the kitsune was only wearing his silky hakama. Second time in one day seeing him half naked- not good!

“It will be fine, we can share. She's out of it anyway,” Yoko said, lifting the tray, giving Kagome the chance to watch how his hair brushed his bare body.

“Oh, by the way, get rid of that stupid dog. It has been barking for the last hour.”

Kagome bit her lip. “But I can't just let him go! He's so small, he'll be eaten!”

“That is not my concern,” Yoko shrugged.

The miko felt her eyes water, and she blinked rapidly. “Please...please let me keep him. I promise he'll be good. I just can't bear to abandon him after he was brought up in that horrible place...”

The kitsune watched her swallow and sniff. “Do not tell me that little mutt means so much to you?”

Kagome clenched her fists. “Yes, he does. He's comforting, and he stops me feeling lonely. Is that a problem?”

Yoko was taken aback by the venom in the miko's words.

“Fine, keep him,” Yoko said haughtily. “But if I catch him running around, I will dispose of him myself. Understood?”

“Yes,” Kagome snapped, and she departed without a second glance.

“Stupid kitsune!” Kagome consoled herself once she was safely in her own room. Her cheeks were red from a mixture of embarrassment and anger. Toto clambered into her arms, licking her face as she lay down on the futon.

“Ne, Toto,” she said, petting his fur, “You have to be a good boy, or the evil fox will get rid of you. Okay? So I'll take you for a walk in the morning and at night, so the rest of the time, you have to guard my room!”

The little puppy yipped in response. Kagome felt bad, cooping the animal up in her room for so many hours at a time- but what was the alternative? Release him into the big, bad world and hope he would survive?
I can't help but sense a metaphor of my own predicament, Kagome thought as she slipped into sleep.

~oOoOoOo~

The miko had strange, far too realistic dreams, involving what she didn't see take place between Maiyu and Yoko. She awoke tired, confused and in a bad mood.

It was still early, so Kagome took Toto for a quick walk around the palace grounds. After breakfast for them both, she plucked up the courage to go and wake her master.

The miko slowly slid open the door so as not to make a sudden noise. To her shock, Yoko was alone in the bed, the kitsune geisha no where in sight. The only trace of her visit was the mirror lying on the low table.

“Ano...Yoko?” Kagome whispered, unsure how to proceed. “It's time to wake up?”

The kitsune showed no signs of stirring. Her heart suddenly hammering, Kagome approached his bed. He lay on his front, his head resting on his arms, the silk sheets entangled around his waist.

The miko took a few second to admire his back as she parted the organza drapes.

“Yoko...?” she said softly. She didn't want to give him a fright, knowing how fast he was with his whip.

Still the kitsune didn't move. Okay, this is ridiculous. Is he planning on scaring me?

Wary now, Kagome crouched down next to the kitsune's head so she could see his face. Unless he was a good actor, the bandit was clearly out for the count. He's got such long eyelashes...

Yoko's eyes suddenly flashed open, and Kagome gave a scream, falling backwards.

“Dammit, woman,” the kitsune cursed, his fox ears planted to his head.

“S-sorry!” Kagome gasped, “You gave me a fright!”

Yoko yawned, rubbing his eyes blearily. He took in the miko on the floor, her legs exposed where her yukata had ridden up as she fell. Something in his eyes made Kagome rush to get up and dart away to the table, where she had left his breakfast tray.

“What time is it?” the kitsune asked, stretching. He's not a morning person, Kagome observed gleefully. His silver hair was rumpled and his golden eyes hazy as he watched the miko pour tea.

“It's just left the hour of the rabbit,” Kagome informed him.

There was a moment of silence as they regarded each other.

“What, do you want to watch me dress?” Yoko asked saucily.

“Ah, sorry! I'll take my leave!” Kagome exclaimed, and flew from the room.

The kitsune sighed as she left. Waking up to see Kagome had given him a surprise, though he had disguised it better than she. Usually after an all night session, he didn't have a morning erection- but today was different. It had taken all his willpower to not pull the miko into bed with him.

When did she get under my skin? I need to put some distance between us...

~oOoOoOo~

Kagome spent the rest of the hour finishing a bento for Yoko to take on his travels. She had always been an okay cook, but she was vastly improving under Kaoru's supervision.

“I was surprised Maiyu wasn't in the room,” Kagome explained to her friend. “That would have been embarrassing!”

“The geisha never stay overnight,” Kaoru replied, “Yoko doesn't allow it. I guess it's to save them bickering and claiming favourites.”

“Huh,” Kagome responded. What a cold lover he is...

“Wow, that looks tasty, Kagome-chan,” Naka observed as she passed by.

“Thanks,” Kagome smiled. She put the lid on the black lacquer box and covered it with a cherry blossom silk wrap. “I hope Yoko likes it!”

She found the bandit outside, preparing the carriages. He had refused her help to pack because he was only going away for a few days. It was a local city she hadn't heard of, and she assumed it was to continue talks about the Washi.

“Have a safe trip,” Kagome said, as Yoko settled into the carriage with the Elders who were accompanying him.

“Don't slack off because I am gone,” was the kitsune's charming response.

“Hai, hai,” the miko replied. “Here, this is for the road,” she said, holding out the bento.

Something passed over the kitsune's eyes, but Kagome couldn't put a finger on what it was.

“It is a short journey... I do not need it.”

And with that, the carriage left, leaving a furious miko in its wake.

“Stupid kitsune!” Kagome vented, sitting in her room, feeding Toto the odd part of her bento. “Don't slack off, he says. Well just watch me, idiot. I'm not going to lift a finger while you're away, and there's sweet nothing you can do about it!”

~oOoOoOo~

Of course, the miko was bored after one day. She visited the kitchen so she could chat to the others.  After the incident at the Washi castle, Kagome was respected and admired by all her fellow servants. As she helped them clean, the hanyou jostled for her attention, asking for any gossip about Yoko and the brown kitsune that had visited the night before.

“I'd just die to see his body!” sighed Hotaru dreamily.

The miko finally became sick of the topic, and accompanied Kaoru in cleaning the bedrooms so she could escape.

“That bandit Kaito is strange,” the miko commented as they swept a guest room, “What type of youkai is he?”

“He's a quest class, extremely powerful,” Kaoru told her, “Apparently he has an explosive touch. He's got a twin brother Karasu, but thankfully he's not a bandit. One is enough!”

“Right,” Kagome shuddered, “What a creepy duo! Ritsuka was telling me he often gives the servants trouble?”

“Yes,” Kaoru nodded, “You should keep your distance, Kagome-chan. He likes rare things- he even gave me some hassle once, because I'm the only grey neko here. Luckily grey neko hanyou are actually quite common- it's just chance that I'm the only one working here just now.”

“I see,” Kagome said, worrying her lip. Hopefully he'll just get bored of me, too.


~oOoOoOo~

The next day Kuronue came back from the Ningenkai, and called Kagome to his room.

“Enjoying the peace and quiet?” he asked, commenting about Yoko's absence.

“Mm,” Kagome nodded. Though it is a little boring...

The koumori rustled in his bag, and produced a folded piece of paper and a small box.

“These are for you. I hung about to see if your family would write you a response...”

“Oh, Kuronue!” Kagome felt tears spring to her eyes as she accepted the paper. “I never even  imagined that...”

“Take your time to read it,” Kuronue smiled, patting her on the shoulder. “I'm going to quickly catch up with the others.”

And so Kagome read the letter in the peace and quiet of Kuronue's room.

Dear Kagome,

Words can't express how happy we are to hear from you! I thought you had been adducted, but it never occurred to me it would be to do with demons. If only Inuyasha was here! But I'm so happy to know you are alive, and safe. It's terrible that you are being made to work as a servant, I'm so worried about you! I know you won't tell us how bad it really is. I can only imagine what you are going through.
It breaks my heart to think I might never see my little girl again! But still, I'll pray with ji-chan every day, hoping you'll come back to us. It seems your fate is always to be tangled with the demons, my dear Kagome. I wish I could have protected you better, but I know you're a strong girl.
Souta and ji-chan miss you very much! Your little brother often visits the well in the hope of seeing Inuyasha appear. I can only hope he is in your world now, and will save you like he always does.

I'm keeping hopeful and never giving up on you, Kagome. I'm so grateful to your messenger and glad to know you have friends in that world. You're clever and strong, my daughter. Keep your chin up and be proud of what you are!

I've asked the messenger to bring you my hair clip. It's the one you always played with as a child, the first gift your daddy ever gave me. I hoped to pass it on to you when you married, but I think you need it more now. Please wear it and always think of us.

Lots of love,

Mama
xxxxxx

There were tear drops already on the page, no doubt from when her mother had sat down to write the letter. Kagome added some more, before folding up the paper to protect it. She held it to her chest, as if she could absorb the words and feeling it contained.

“Mama,” she gasped, “Ji-chan, Souta...” she had avoided thinking about her family too much, because she knew how much it would hurt. Now the barriers came down, and she allowed herself to freely cry for the first time since arriving at the Silver Kitsune Palace.

Once she had calmed a little, she opened the brown box. Wrapped in tissue was the hair clip. Although over twenty five years old, it was still as beautiful as the first day Kagome had set her eyes on it. It was a intricately carved silver butterfly, its wings composed of two large and two small blue stones. Kagome wasted no time in clipping the butterfly to the side of her hair, feeling its weight as a reminder of her family's love.

~oOoOoOo~

Kuronue returned just as Kagome had fastened the hair clip.

“It looks good on you,” he commented gently. He saw the miko's red eyes and felt sorry for her.

“Thank you so much for everything,” Kagome said, bowing, her voice breaking. “I really can't ever repay you...”

“Oh shush, it's not Yoko you're talking to here,” Kuronue laughed, rubbing the brim of his hat embarrassedly.

Kagome gave a watery smile as she wiped her eyes. “Really, I just don't know what to say...”

“Then don't,” Kuronue replied. “I'm glad I was able to do something. Next time I'm going to the Ningenkai, I'll let you know, and I can drop off another letter.”

“Kuronue!” Kagome couldn't stop the tears from flowing as she flung her arms the koumori bandit.

“Now, now,” the bat said awkwardly, patting her hair.


~oOoOoOo~

When Kagome greeted Yoko back the next day, the hair pin was the first thing he noticed. It glimmered as she bowed her head, the sunlight dancing off the butterfly's wings. Being a bandit, he knew his jewels, and could tell they were sapphires.

Where on earth did she get such an expensive trinket? He thought. He knew the miko wasn't the type to steal, and she had no money to speak of. Then it must have been a gift. But from who?

This concerned the kitsune. The servants were of course allowed to accept gifts, and many of them courted the bandits for exactly this reason. To wear such a hair pin so brazenly was to confirm she  accepted the affections of the giver. What on Makai occurred when I was gone?

Yoko had intended to be cooler with Kagome upon his return- on seeing the hairpin, he did not need to pretend. Likewise, the miko had been prepared to forgive him about the bento incident, but after he ignored her greeting, sweeping past her to his room, she lost all good intentions.

It's not my fault if his trip went badly, Kagome thought angrily. Honestly, I wish Kuronue was my master, I'd have a much more easy life!

~oOoOoOo~

Yoko found it easy to be prickly with the miko- everything about her was putting him in a bad mood, from the butterfly clip, her hair, her waist, to her small hands. He found himself on edge as she served him lunch between meetings, and the miko seemed to sense the tension, making no move to speak. Luckily his scribe was present, and Yoko concentrated on the task at hand. He'd ordered her to remake his lunch, claiming it was inedible, despite the miko tasting it personally.

Kami-sama, he's in some mood, fumed the miko as she placed the battered fish and vegetable dish in front of him. This time he made no comment, too busy reading papers.

“So, there are two of the Washi's comrades left that are threatening war,” summarised his scribe Kentaro, looking over his notes. “The Kuro crow tribe, and the Owls of High Tree.”

“I've already sent Kaito to quieten the crow tribe,” Yoko said, and Kagome resisted a shudder at hearing the bandit's name. She sat quietly, waiting for her next order.

“The Elders advised an attack against the Owls,” Kentaro replied. “According to our scouts, their troops are already on the move. We think they intend to make an attack, perhaps on the town.”

Yoko flicked through the papers again. “It also seems they have left their nest unguarded.”

“Yes, the scouts confirmed that. Only female and chicks have been left behind. A rather foolish move, as the Owl Leader Rizu's mate is with child.”

“He has no other heir, correct?” Yoko asked.

“Yes, my Prince. This would be his first child.”

“That settles it, then.” Yoko took out his seal, bearing his stamp of the silver rose. “I will approve the attack on their nest to go ahead. Make sure the Owls are informed of our actions. They will likely retreat to protect their own.”

“Yes, my Prince,” Kentaro nodded, preparing the ink and passing it to Yoko.

“Wait!” Kagome couldn't stop herself from exclaiming, as the bandit king made to dip his seal in the ink. “Isn't there another way, without endangering innocents?”

Kagome saw Kentaro's mouth drop open at her sudden outburst.

“You are not educated in matters of war,” Yoko said, his golden eyes glaring at her, “So be silent.”

“But...!” The miko said, “Won't you just enrage them further by killing their family? Surely it's common sense?”

“Kentaro,” Yoko said, cutting across the miko, “Go fetch me the minutes from the meetings I missed yesterday,”

“Ahh, yes,” Kentaro bowed, looking dazed as he left the room.

As soon as the shoji screen clacked shut, Yoko leaned across the table, and grabbed Kagome by her yukata collar.

“Don't you dare speak against me like that again,” he hissed, and his eyes were like lit matches. “Especially in front of those who serve me!”

“S-sorry!” Kagome squeaked, his grip choking her, “But I couldn't not say anything- it's barbaric!”

At this comment, the kitsune dragged her across the table, as if she was nothing but a doll. She cried out at the sudden movement. Yoko pressed her against the wood, the sharp surface cutting into her back, making her wince and try to pull away.

“Do not forget you are in a demon world now, miko,” Yoko reminded her, “Your opinions mean nothing to me. If you cannot behave, I will punish you.”

He leaned closer, so that his knees were at either side of her, trapping her completely. Her hands braced against the table as his long fingers found her neck, his claws tickling her skin under the rosary.

“Do I make myself clear?”

“H-hai...” the miko swallowed, so close she could feel the heat from his body, the scent of roses making her head swim.

“Good,” with that, he released her, making her tip backwards. Her heart pounded, though she wasn't sure it was entirely with fear.

“Now get out of my sight.”

The miko wasted no time in fleeing, escaping to the safety of her room, burying into her futon and letting Toto lick her red cheeks.


The miko stayed clear of the kitsune until it was time for his third and last meal of the day. The tension was palpable between them, not helped by the fact they were in Yoko's bedroom.

Both were relieved when there was a knock at the door.

Kagome knelt to receive the Elder into the room.

“Yoko!” the usually emotionless Gemba was quivering with excitement. “Yuzuki-hime has returned! And...well, you better come and see for yourself!”

“Yuzuki is here?” Yoko immediately rose to his feet, “She's not injured, is she?”

“Just come quickly!”

The miko followed the kitsune wordlessly, wondering who all the fuss was about.

~oOoOoOo~

Yoko rushed down the staircase, leaving Gemba and Kagome far behind him. He reached the ground floor, following the sound of commotion to the central entrance of the palace. Servants all bowed around him as he made his way through the crowds of bandits and royal family.

Kagome arrived just as the assemblage parted to receive the Prince. She saw a beautiful silver kitsune, the first older female she had seen, standing in the chaos. Her long, silver hair flowed in two loops from her temples. She wore a dazzling white kimono, embroidered with gold flowers and clouds. Kagome felt an odd stab in her heart as she watched. A lover? Or family? She wondered.

~oOoOoOo~


“Tadima,” Yuzuki smiled, upon seeing Yoko approach her.

“Okaerinasai,” Yoko replied. He then stopped short, seeing the bundle in her arms. He drew closer, and saw it was a kit, fast asleep in a silk shawl.

“Yuzuki!” Yoko exclaimed upon seeing the child, “You are...a mother?”

“Yes...and you are finally an uncle, my dear brother,” she told him, holding the child close.

“Congratulations!” came the calls from the royal family members, and the Elders patted each other on the back and cackled gleefully.

“I'm so happy for you,” Yoko said honestly, pulling his sister close and kissing her on the cheek.

“Don't celebrate just yet,” Yuzuki said quietly in his ear. “Let's go somewhere more private and talk.”

~oOoOoOo~

Yoko sent Kagome ahead to prepare his receiving room, a private place he used for special guests. The Elders were more boisterous than Yoko had ever seen them.

“A male heir, a male heir at last!” they rejoiced, already making their way to the shrine to give thanks.

Yuzuki was strangely quiet as she followed Yoko to the fifth floor. The child, fast asleep, made no noise, yet she was constantly fussing over it.

Kagome was already in the room, opening the windows to let in fresh air. It was much grander than the others, with elaborate scrolls on the walls, and more comfortable seating. Yuzuki sat down gratefully, and she turned to look at the servant.

“Could you fetch us some tea? I'm parched.”

“Of course, my lady,” Kagome said, glad for an excuse to leave the awkward situation.

“So,” Yoko asked, “What is going on? You were travelling for months and now you return with a child? Why did you keep it a secret?”

“Are these wall secure?” Yuzuki asked.

“Yes,” Yoko replied, an ominous feeling settling on him. His joy at the discovery of his nephew was fast dissipating.

“Well then,” his sister sighed. “Kazuhiko-chan, open your eyes and greet your uncle Yoko.”

The Silver Prince watched in disbelief as the child obeyed. He seemed far too young to understand and act on such orders. But the bigger shock was yet to come.

Vivid green eyes peered at him as the child sat up in his mother's arms.

“Hello, Uncle Yoko,” the child smiled.

Yoko was stunned into silence. Kazuhiko had silver hair like his mother's- but there was no hint of gold in his irises. Instead, they were the trademark green of the Red Kitsune clan.

“Explain, sister,” Yoko said, feeling as though a rock had settled in his stomach.

“It's very simple, my dear brother,” Yuzuki said, smoothing the child's hair. “My mate, whom you ordered me to take, is infertile. He is simply too old to sow the seed. I knew this from our first night together, but I kept trying, for the sake of the clan. However, it soon became obvious I would never conceive from him.”

Yoko remembered back to that difficult time. It had been soon after their parents deaths, and there had been discord between the clans. He had wanted to protect his sister. He had rejected the idea the clans had about her mating with an ally. As she was the only pure female of child baring age, and his only sibling, Yoko did not want to trade her so easily. So he arranged for Yuzuki to be with the first available male silver kitsune, in order to keep her close. Unfortunately, the youngest silver kitsune was still twice her age.

“You should have told me as soon as you knew,” Yoko sighed. “We could have arranged something, Yuzuki.”

“Like what? Another old mate with the same problem?” Yuzuki asked. “Well, I found my solution when I was seeking comfort elsewhere.”

“In another male's bed?” Yoko enquired.

“Yes,” Yuzuki said, with no shame, “He is a red kitsune...and I have fallen in love with him.”

Yoko rubbed his forehead. “But you should have taken the necessary precautions, sister! I understand you taking a lover, but allowing yourself to fall pregnant?”

“It was a miscalculation on my part, but not one I regret,” Yuzuki said, still stroking her son's hair.

“Does your mate know about this?” Yoko asked.

“That fool doesn't even know what year it is,” his sister answered bitterly. “I had hoped our dominant genes would ensure Kazuhiko would, at least, look like a silver kitsune. But, it was not meant to be. When I saw him for the first time, I thought he was the most beautiful creature in the world. And he may be our salvation.”

“How so?” Yoko asked. The mixing of silver and red blood is disastrous...but for it to happen to the sole hime of our Silver clan...

“You know better than anyone, brother, that we are doomed to fall if we do not remedy the current situation! You cannot even mate, because there is no pure blooded female yet of age! It was forbidden to mix the blood, because we could not perceive the outcome...but look!”

She set Kazuhiko on her lap, and Yoko watched the child intently. He seemed to follow the entire conversation, his bright green eyes observing the room keenly.

“He is perfect. There is not a single flaw about him- if anything, he is the accumulation of all the great traits of both blood lines. We should not be scared to take this step!”

“I agree, upon first glance,” Yoko said, “But sister, the child is still young. We do not know how he will grow, what ailments he could develop...” The prince stopped himself as Kazuhiko looked directly at him.

“Well, I will need to bring it to the clans- and I can promise you, there will be war over this. The most important thing now is to protect the two of you from any harm.”

“He's already six months old,” Yuzuki admitted. “I wanted to wait...to keep him in hiding until I was sure he was healthy enough.”

Yoko nodded. “And the father?”

His sister smiled sadly. “I want to keep him a secret, until I can ensure the clans are stable over this.”

“I understand,” Yoko said, “It also prevents me from finding and killing him, correct?”

“You were always too protective, brother,” Yuzuki laughed.

“Yoko!” Kazuhiko suddenly said, holding out his hands to his uncle.

Yuzuki laughed delightfully. “He likes you! Here, Kazu-chan, go to uncle!”

She lifted her child across the table, and Yoko accepted him awkwardly.

“Uncle!” Kazuhiko said happily, patting the Prince's chest. The child looked up, his eyes locking with the older kitsune. Yoko felt a rush of protection towards the little fox in his arms. I never dreamt we would have a kit in the family so soon...

“I'll ensure the safety of you both,” Yoko promised, “So rest easy, sister.”

“Thank you, brother,” Yuzuki said, bowing. “I know I bring you great trouble.”

The door slid open, and Kagome entered with the tray of tea. Yuzuki panicked, her eyes catching Yoko's.

“It is all right- she can be trusted.”

Unsure what had occurred, the miko knelt down and put the tray on the table. She looked up, and was surprised to see Yoko was holding the child. The baby kitsune was adorable- it clung onto Yoko's clothing, its tiny ears twitching.

“Kagome- this is my sister, Yuzuki, and her son, Kazuhiko,”

“Oh!” the miko bowed quickly to the ground. “Pleased to meet you, Yuzuki-sama, Kazuhiko-sama...”

“Kagome owes me her life,” Yoko explained to her sister. “She will not repeat anything she hears in this room- isn't that correct?”

The miko blushed at the strange introduction. “Hai, master.”

At her voice, the little kitsune's ears swivelled, and he turned his head to look at her. Kagome was shocked as green, not gold eyes met hers.

“Oh!” the miko couldn't help but say in surprise. Kazuhiko giggled at her, reaching out one hand, the other still fastened in Yoko's clothing.

“Kitty cat, kitty cat!” the child chanted.

The tension in the room was broken, and Kagome giggled. “He's so beautiful!” the miko exclaimed.

“Thank you,” smiled Yuzuki. “If my brother trusts you, then so do I. Please help me protect my son...”

“Of course!” Kagome replied, bowing again, “It will be my pleasure!”

~oOoOoOo~

“First, we must make plans to ensure the safety of you both,” Yoko decided, after a sip of tea. “I know it will pain you, but I think for now we need to separate you...”

The sadness was clear in his sister's eyes, but she nodded. “You know about these things better than I, dear brother, so I will follow your advice.”

“Very well,” Yoko said, his fingers making a steeple as he thought. “You are more at risk, having broken the rule- I predict the Elders will want you punished. So I propose you leave the castle at once. Go to our private retreat in the mountains- I will ask Kuronue to accompany you with the bandits I trust most. That frees me to settle matters here and watch over the child.”

Yuzuki nodded. “I see. But if I may be so bold brother, who will care for my child when I'm gone?”

“If I may speak, my lady,” Kagome piped up, “I have experience- I looked after a kit, in my past life.”

Yuzuki's eyes widened at this information, then she smiled brightly at the miko. “Oh, really? Kagome, your name was? Then, I entrust my son to you. Please take care of him.”

Kagome bowed deeply, “I promise to care for him as if he was my own, Yuzuki-sama.”

Yoko was surprised by this exchange, but putting it down to feminine understanding, he made no move to intervene. “It is agreed then. This suits me well, as Kagome can dedicate her time to the child without drawing attention from the other servants.”

“Then, I must take my leave,” Yuzuki said, taking her child from Yoko and embracing him tightly.

“My special little Prince. Mother will return for you soon, so be a good boy for Kagome and stay safe!”

“Kagome, stay here with Yuzuki while I fetch Kuronue and inform him of the plan.” Yoko told her. The miko nodded, the awkwardness from earlier dissolving as she realised the trust the kitsune was placing in her. The miko felt sympathy towards the princess as she struggled to say goodbye to her son, kissing him and cuddling him as if she would never set eyes on him again.

~oOoOoOo~

Yoko escorted Kagome to his room, and Yuzuki handed over the child.

“Stay here and do not leave under any circumstances,” Yoko warned her. “I will lock both doors with my ki, so only I will be able to enter.”

“Yes,” Kagome nodded, holding the kit to her chest. He seemed unaware of what exactly was happening, but was upset upon seeing his mother leave. He didn't cry, but his green eyes were luminous and he sucked his thumb.

“There there, Kazuhiko-sama,” Kagome said, feeling strange to address such a small creature with such a title. “I'll look after you, I promise. No one will hurt you when I'm here.”

Something about her words seemed to soothe the kit, and he cuddled into her chest, and fell asleep.

~oOoOoOo~

When Yoko arrived half an hour later, he found the miko kneeling at the side of his bed, watching over the sleeping kit. She had tucked him under the covers, and was stroking his hair softly.

“Ah, you're back...” she said, rising slowly. “Kazuhiko-sama is sleeping peacefully.”

Yoko joined her to examine his nephew. The kit was indeed fast asleep, for real this time.

“Did Yuzuki-sama get away safely?” Kagome asked quietly, so as not to wake the kit.

“Yes,” Yoko replied, letting the curtain fall from his grasp. He sat down at the low table, his head in his hands. “I never anticipated such a situation occurring.”

The miko silently knelt down opposite him. It was the first time she had seen the bandit look concerned for someone other than himself.

“Kuronue will take good care of her,” Kagome said reassuringly.

“Yes,” Yoko acknowledged, “I trust him more than anyone else in the world.”

“How long have you known each other?” Kagome asked, trying to distract him.

“Hmm...” Yoko ran his fingers through his hair thoughtfully. “We met when we were still adolescents. My father established the bandits with Kuronue's father...I guess you could say he was my first friend, out with the castle.”

“That's really sweet,” smiled Kagome.

Yoko glanced across the table at her. It had been a while since he had seen her smile, and he realised he had missed it.

“What about you?” he asked. “You told my sister you cared for a kit in the past?”

“Ahh, yes...” The miko said wistfully, and her eyes darkened as she stared off into space. It was the same look he had seen in her eyes recently. “He was an orphan, his parents recently murdered by two powerful youkai brothers. So me and Inu- a friend helped him, and he travelled with us after that...”

Yoko didn't miss the miko's slip up. Inu, eh. Is that why she's so protective over that dog?

Suddenly a memory hit Yoko, from the first time they met in the very same room.

What was that name? She called me something when she first woke up- it began with inu. Inu...Inuyasha, was it?

“But there are no youkai in your time,” Yoko observed, resting his head in his palm. “Or so Kuronue tells me...”

The miko squirmed under his gaze, and he could tell she felt uncomfortable about the topic.

“It's a long story that's painful for me to talk about,” she said, her eyes downcast, “But basically, I didn't meet these friends in my world. I accidentally entered the past, and met them there.”

Yoko blinked at the explanation, a million questions blooming in his mind.

“Well, aren't you well travelled,” he remarked.

“I guess I'm lucky I had the experience,” Kagome laughed, “I would have been terrified of this world, otherwise. And now I can help look after Kazuhiko-sama...” The miko gave a small smile, but her eyes looked sad. “Truthfully, I really miss that little kitsune. He was dear to me- like family. Losing him was very difficult. When I saw Kazuhiko-sama, it made me very happy...”

Yoko shook his head, his hair swishing around his shoulders. “Well, you are just full of surprises, Kagome. But I am glad you are looking after Kazuhiko- I know nothing of caring for the young, and with the nature of this situation, the more that know of his identity, the more dangerous it is for him...”

The miko blushed, and dipped her head. “I'm happy to help...”

~oOoOoOo~

The next day, Yoko wasted no time informing the clans of the situation- the Elders were asking where the Princess and the heir had disappeared to, so it served no purpose to lie to them.

“The child you saw before is not solely Silver Blooded,” Yoko explained at the meeting. There were representatives of both the Red and Silver kitsune present, and both sides were equally shocked.

“He is half Red, half Silver,” Yoko told them, “I do not need to divulge details- I am sure you can work out how this happened for yourself.”

“This is scandalous!” barked Aioi, one of the oldest silver kitsune. “Not only has Yuzuki-sama betrayed her mate, but she has turned her back on her clan!”

“Her mate was unable to give her child,” Yoko responded, his fists clenching. It's much harder to be the peace maker when my own flesh and blood is the subject of debate...

“So she says!” cried another silver kitsune.

“She has broken our sacred law! She must be punished!” shouted another.

“Death sentence!” screamed another, most likely a red kitsune.

“Silence!” Yoko commanded, his voice cracking like his whip over the audience. “May I remind you that Yuzuki is currently the only heir to the throne! Although her crime cannot be denied, what has past has past. Through this accident, we have learned that silver and red blood can be mixed without the terrible consequence once expected. I recommend we begin thinking about the future of our clans, and stop wallowing in the past.”

“You propose to doom the Silver bloodline?” asked another Elder incredulously.

“Not purposely,” Yoko reasoned, “But my sister makes a valid point- the Silver Kitsune clan will be no more if we do not think of a solution soon.”



The meeting carried on for many hours, and by the end, Yoko was worn out and irritable. He hated the fact he was fighting family members, kitsune who had helped raise him, over the issue of whether his sister and kit should live.

Kaoru had taken over Kagome's duties while she tended to the kit, so after his meal he returned to his room to check on his nephew.

“How did it go?” the miko greeted him, Kazuhiko in her arms. The kit was like a limpet, fastened to the girl's clothing as if holding on for dear life.

“Just as badly as I expected,” Yoko sighed, sitting down.

“Badly?” repeated Kazuhiko, and he looked sadly at his uncle.

Kagome giggled at the child, stroking his hair. “He's been repeating everything I've said all day. He's a bright little button.”

“He has his mother's brains for sure,” Yoko agreed.

“Do you want to hold him?” Kagome asked, knowing it wasn't in the kitsune's nature to offer.

She handed him Kazuhiko before he could protest. “I'm going to the outhouse, I'll be back as quick as I can.”

Yoko took the child gingerly, as though scared he would break. Kazuhiko blinked up at his uncle, and made a grab for his long silver hair.

“Mother?” he enquired.

“Mother is away just now,” Yoko told him, “But she will return soon.”

Kazuhiko didn't like this reply, so he yanked the hair that was in his fingers.

“Ouch, you little...” Yoko avoided swearing and tried to pry his hair free from the kit's fingers, but he was surprisingly strong.

“Kitty cat?” Kazuhiko asked this time, turning his head to look around the room.

“She will be back soon...” Yoko was reprimanded by another hair pull.

“Let go, you little devil!” the Silver Prince struggled with his nephew's fingers.

~oOoOoOo~

The miko returned to find the pair still battling it out, and was unable to contain a giggle.

“He's got an iron grip,” she said, and as soon Kazuhiko heard her voice, he beamed, letting go of Yoko's hair.

“Kitty cat!” he laughed, reaching for the miko. She easily took him into her arms, and he nuzzled against her chest.

“Most children have a strong hold,” Kagome explained as she sat down, cradling her precious load, “It takes a while to get used to it...”

“Hmm,” Yoko said, seeing how at ease the kit was in the miko's presence. “You certainly seem to have a natural way with the young.”

“I just really love children,” Kagome smiled, smoothing the kit's silver hair.

The first dilemma came when it was time for bed. The night before, the kit had sleep soundly in Yoko's bed, exhausted by the day's events. But when Kagome tried to put him down for the night, he was having none of it.

“Kitty cat!!!” he screamed every time she tried to leave the room. He would roll about the bed, and the miko was worried he was going to injure himself.

“I'll need to stay with him until he falls asleep,” Kagome said, apologetically to the kitsune, who was realising his bed chambers had turned into a nursery.

Yoko sighed, “Anything to stop the screaming...”

An hour later, Kazuhiko had finally drifted away, and the miko bid Yoko goodnight. She had just curled up in her futon when she heard the screams from along the corridor.

Ahh, I'm so tired...the miko cringed, putting her pillow over her head. I'll let Yoko deal with it this once...

The kitsune seemed to succeed in quietening the child, but later in the night, Kagome was once again woken up by screams. However, these were different from the tantrum cries of before- they were real, broken hearted sobs, the type that were difficult to ignore.

Half asleep,the miko felt her way along the corridor in the dark. Yoko's door opened before she could reach it. He was surprised to see her so soon.

“I don't know what's wrong...” he said, and she could see the worry etched in his eyes. “He just woke up and started crying...”

“Let him sleep with me,” Kagome said, suppressing a yawn. “He misses his mother. He'll maybe sleep easier with a woman...”

“Tempting as that is, your room isn't secure enough,” Yoko said, and Kagome realised the truth in his words- her door was only a shoji screen, and she was right next to the stairs.

“Bring your futon here,” he said, rubbing his forehead, “Maybe if we're both in the room, he will calm.”

And so Kagome found herself sleeping in Yoko's room, Kazuhiko cuddled into her chest, like a ghost of Shippo from the past. His weight and warmth was so familiar, and despite being in the Silver Prince's room, the miko drifted into an easy and deep sleep.


Please note: I know geisha are not prostitutes, now or in the past. I've been to Kyoto twice ^^
But these are youkai, not ningen. And it's easier to call them Geisha, because it demonstrates how they are dressed. Plus, the word prostitute is so unpoetic!

Sorry for the late update, I ended up going to Tokyo for the weekend!

Reviews

-FF-

chibi moon baby: Alas, I am a fast reader too so I feel your pain! At least these chapters are nice and long- my older stories were only 2000 words per chapter! ^^
Glad you liked! Haha I know what the first thing would be!

Guest: Why thank you ^^ I have lots of twists so look forward to them!
Haha that would be hilarious! But also very wrong!

Fierynightangel: Hehe I'm saying nothing!

Fredisagirl: Wow thanks for the compliment! Haha that a spoiler, I can't tell that!

Guest: Haha glad someone likes Kaito, there's a lot of hate for him hehe!

LadyAlira: You'll just have to wait and see!

Yumemomi:  Hehe not telling ^^

Eurkin: Thank you so much!!

Guest: Thanks! Enjoy the update!

Valleygoat: Hehe yes Yoko unexpectedly saves the day! Thanks very much!

GladApple: glad to hear I'm improving hehe!

xsugabearx: Thank you! Haha Kaito is a creep, ne? Me too, I love a nasty Yoko, he's so much hotter! Thanks, I love hearing that!
Right??

shadow miko: Yay! I always strive for originality so it makes me very happy to hear that ^^ Ahhh you will have to wait and see, it's a surprise!

Jessiemaebay: It's a secret hehe.

Pclark: Glad to hear you enjoy my work!

Anonymous perspective: Glad to hear it, it was meant to be as horrible hehe!
Haha that was my intention ^^
Don't worry, there will be plenty more Yoko and Kagome scenes!
Thanks, I love Kuroune hehe!

Lairenna: Hope you enjoyed!

-MM-

It seems like no one really uses MM anymore lol?

Purplebabe: Glad to hear it! There will be a twist, as always hehe!

Pandegin: Thanks! It's my favourite combo in a relationship! ^^



I'm going home for Christmas so my next update will be after the festive season! Hope everyone has a great time! ^^