Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Golden Gaze ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Golden Gaze

By:

Goijh

_______________________________________________________________ _____________

=============================================================== =====

Chapter Nine

_______________________________________________________________ _____________

=============================================================== =====

Inuyasha woke long before any of his travelling companions. He always did.

As a half demon, he didn't need nearly as much sleep as they did. Humans were so needy.

His amber eyes scanned the ground, falling on each of his comrades in turn. He could already tell that the monk was going to have an interesting wake up call. For all the riches in the world Inuyasha could not understand why Miroku insisted on sleeping so close to her. All it ever got him was mild concussions.

The molten depths swept onward and past the fire cat. They rested on Kagome. A soft light came over them as he watched the miko sleep.

Her black silken tresses fell genlty across her face. Inyasha yearned to brush them away, knowing that doing so would reveal her pale porclein skin to him. Her plump pink lips beckoned to be kissed, and her thick lashes rested across the top of her cheeks, curling slightly. Her chest rose with everybreath she took, before falling back down again.

Before they had set up camp, Kagome had found a nearby creek and managed to bathe. Her clothes were still dirty though as she didn't have her bag. Inuyasha had left it carelessly in the cave he had cleared, abandoning it when he discovered she was missing. The only thing that they had with them were spare blankets that Sango and Miroku had thought to bring with them.

Pain flickered across his eyes as the hanyou stared at her lips. Yesterday those lips had kissed and been kissed. And it was not him who recieved those pleasures from her. It was some damn kitsune that they had no idea about. His chest tightened as he remembered Kagome's scent when he had gone to get her.

He had thought that he was the only one who could make her feel that way.

Inuyasha continued to watch her as the pain welled up inside him. Fifty years ago he had lost Kikyo, now it seemed he was losing her. And he knew that he didn't even deserve to put up a fight.

Kagome mumbled something in her sleep and rolled onto her back. The raven tresses fell away and her pale skin seemed to glow in the dim light of the pre dawn. Inuyasha sighed heavily as he leapt soundlessly from the tree. Kiarara opened a crimson eye to peer curiously at him, but contentedly closed it once again as if she had gotten some psychic message from him.

He was going for a run.

Inuyasha sped off into the woods, pushing his body to move as quickly as it could. It would take a couple hours to get where he was going. By the time he returned the others would be awake, but it wouldn't be too late into the morning if he kept up his pace.

He didn't deserve to put up a fight to keep Kagome. It didn't matter how much he loved her, she deserved to be happy.

And he was obligated to Kikyo.

He had promised Kikyo that he would avenge her and he would go to hell with her. He only needed to defeat Naraku.

But when he had made the promise to Kikyo, he had not known that was going to come to love the dead miko's reincarnation more than he had loved the tragic priestess herself. Inuyasha could feel offending beads of moisture forming in his eyes and he furiously brushed them away.

Inuyasha was only a flash of red between the blur of passing tree trunks to the naked eye. He continued through the forest, his mind sinking into a depression.

Kagome deserved to be happy. She was only human and they had such short mortal lives. She only really had once chance to live. He woulnd't ruin it for her by taking her love away from her. No matter what he knew that he would one day have to leave her. He didn't want to cause her that kind of heart break. At least this way, right now, he could remain a close friend to her and give her the love that a friend would.

He would have to be satisfied with that.

His silver hair flew out wildly behind him as wind whipped past his face. He was almost there. The sun was beginning to filter its morning colors through the trees.

He would only ever be a friend to the miko. No matter how much he loved her and she loved him...That was what hurt the most. He knew that she loved him. Kikyo had never really loved him, and he knew that now. She had only loved what he could become.

Kagome loved who he was.

The beads of moisture finally broke past his emotional barrier and began to trickle down his cheeks, only to be swept away by the force of the air brushing past him as he ran onward.

He wouldn't stand in Kagome's way if he could help it. If she was attracted to this silver fox youkai then he would do his best to stand on the sidelines. It would be best for him and for her if she moved on from him.

Maybe she would fall in love with this Youko Kurama.

Inuyasha couldn't deny how much that hurt.

His feet skidded to a halt in front of a cave. There was no sign of the few tears he had shed. They had all been dried by the morning air. The sun was now shining in filtered golden splashes through the forest. Its warmth carressed his face.

But he still felt cold.

Cold because he was forbidden to love the woman that he cared for more than life. Cold because he knew that he was going to have to watch her fall in love with someone else.

Inuyasha slammed his fist against the wall of the cave.

Fate was cruel.

But he had to keep his promise. He owed Kikyo. It was his fault that her life had been so tragic and short. He would kill Naraku and go with Kikyo.

Kagome would move on and learn to love someone else.

It was the way that things had to be.

But it didn't make him hate it any less.

Inuyasha punched the rough stone exterior once more. This time the force behind it caused his knuckles to crack painfully as a few of them broke. The flesh covering them broke and blood seeped forth. For a moment Inuyasha stared at it in morbid fascination. He could feel that familiar tingling of his demon blood already taking over, healing his self inflicted injuries.

Sure enough the blood was already thickening and slowing.

Clenching his hand in a tight fist the hanyou entered the cave only to emerge moments later with something slung over his shoulder.

Eyes unusually emotionless and face set in a bitter expression, Inuyasha ran back into the woods, heading in the direction that he had come from.

_______________________________________________________________ ___________

=============================================================== ===

Back at the camp a young woman moaned in her sleep as she rolled onto her side. A few stray tears fell down her cheek.

She looked like her heart was breaking.

But there was no one there to see.

Except for a pair of golden eyes watching her from afar.

_______________________________________________________________ ____________

=============================================================== ====

Okay. I know that this is a VERY shory chapter. And for that I apologize. But I really didn't want it to be any larger. This chapter gets across the only point that I wanted to. It's only purpose is to let everyone know that Inuyasha is surrendering Kagome to Youko and that he does in fact love her.

I know that this could make the story a bit depressing, but I don't want to kill Inuyasha or make him into a jerk. I also don't like OC's as major characters (though for some reason I'm writing another story with one as one. Don't ask me...^_^) and its quite obvious that he does love Kagome. By giving her up and allowing her to move on so that she can be happy, Inuyasha shows just how much he really does love her.

What will happen next? You'll have to wait and see. Or more percisely- REVIEW, wait, and see. ^_^