Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Golden Gaze ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Golden Gaze

By:

Goijh

Author's note: lol! It's been SO long since I last updated….

*chuckles nervously*

I apologize.

I also apologize in advance for any anger or frustration that might be felt upon the completion of the reading of this chapter.

Just remember: no Goijh = no story.

So here is the latest update!

*****************

Chapter nineteen

*****************

Lonely.

It was the only emotion that Suuichi could feel clearly through the mind link of sorts that he shared with Youko in the past. The scarlet haired young man had to admit that it was a bit strange that the silver kitsune was feeling that way. In his past, he had always been alone. True he had partners from time to time, and lovers as well, but none of them ever stuck around.

Never.

Youko was a solo act. He was used to being by himself.

Never depending on anyone else.

Never wanting company.

Yet from Suuichi's most recent dream he got the feeling that the fox demon was yearning for company.

Another sign that the past was changing as he knew it.

Suuichi wasn't sure that that was a good thing. He still needed to analyze the whole paradox situation going on now, but every time he thought about it he only got a headache.

There was one thing as of yet that hadn't changed though: Youko's pride.

Though he was lonely, he refused to seek companionship. Before he had left, Kagome had made very clear that he was invited to join her and her friends on their quest. His help would be needed, his skills at times required, and his presence welcomed.

Well welcomed by all except for maybe Inuyasha.

But Youko wouldn't go. He was determined to fight off his growing infatuation with the miko Kagome. And part of that effort was to avoid all contact with her.

Even so, he had promised to return, and was already collecting shards of the jewel to give him an excuse for coming back.

Or at least give Kagome a means to find him.

Suuichi sighed.

Everything was so complicated now. He had thought that he had it bad enough when he was growing up, a kitsune spirit trapped in a ningen's body. Things couldn't have gotten worse when Hiei had first approached them and they had pulled off the heist of the treasures in Reikai's vault. But then they had when Kurama had found himself deputy to Spirit world's very own spirit detective Yusuke Urameshi, routinely fighting off hoards of demons and saving the world.

Yet somehow fate had managed to throw another curve ball at him and he was caught in the middle of this newest puzzle.

He wasn't so sure he could solve this one.

`Where's Hiei?!' The normally calm Suuichi was uncharacteristically impatient was he awaited the jaganashi's arrival. They had some things to discuss.

As if he could hear Kurama's mental call, and most likely he could, Hiei appeared with a loud knock on the window, immediately followed by a forced entry. The koorime hopped silently onto the floor and strode over to the corner that he had grown accustomed to sitting in during his last few visits.

Without a word he sat down in his usual position, his crimson eyes at once going to Suuichi's emerald ones and silently letting him know that he wanted an update.

"Youko is still being on his guard. He's not letting many emotions through from the past, and his present state of mind is being somewhat affected by the alterations in the past as well. He's being more stubborn than usual when it comes to sharing information. I think he might still be holding a grudge for when we attacked the hanyou at the Higurashi Shrine and simultaneously put Kagome in danger."

Lengthy, yes. But still as brief and concise as he could make it. And that was what Hiei was looking for.

"Hn. What is the fox doing?"

Suuichi smirked sardonically and walked over to where the koorime was sitting, lowering himself down to rest against the wall a couple feet away.

His eyes narrowed momentarily at something on Hiei's shoulder, but just as quickly they returned to normal and the smirk seemed to grow less sardonic and more amused.

"He's hunting for shards."

"Hn."

"And what are you hunting for Hiei?" Kurama added with a slight wink as he reached out and grabbed the small piece of bark from the fire demon's cloak. It would have gone unnoticed had Suuichi been a ningen, but he wasn't. His acute sense of nature had picked up on the fragment as soon as he had sat down next to Hiei, the bark's aura being familiar though he couldn't quite pinpoint from where. But now that the sliver of the tree was in his hand, he knew exactly what, and where it was from.

"You've been at the shrine?" Kurama's voice was flat. It was obvious that he already knew what the answer was.

"Hn." Hiei wasn't about to supply answers that they both already knew. Besides, he was irritated all of a sudden. What business was it of Suuichi's what he did? And who could say that he couldn't go to the shrine.

He would do whatever he damn well pleased.

"Why?"

Hiei was caught slightly off guard. He wasn't prepared for the simple question. He turned his head, crimson meeting emerald. The honest inquiry echoed infinitely in Suuichi's eyes, his gaze void of any judgment or doubt, just questions, and maybe, just maybe, a little bit of betrayal.

Hiei bit the inside of his cheek. He had been ready to fight, to defend himself by saying that he was his own keeper, no one could tell him where to go, what to do. He should have known that Kurama wouldn't have judged him like that. The fox was too damn level headed. Never jumping to conclusions.

Damn him.

"I was waiting for the miko to return. I don't want to be caught off guard." Hiei spat out, though most of the venom was absent from his voice. It was just his normal gruff exterior.

"Hmm…" Suuichi looked away and leaned his head back once again so that it rested against the wall, his eyes watching the ceiling.

The conversation was over. Kurama was respecting Hiei's right to do what he thought was best. At the same time he was putting on display his trust in his friend, neither warning him nor threatening him to stay away. He trusted that Hiei would do what was right.

The jaganashi snorted in disproval. It was only a front though. No one had ever really trusted him before, Kurama was the first.

"So, did Kagome come back at all?" The young man tried to ask; disinterest coloring his voice as he pointedly looked away, one of his hands playing with a lock of hair.

Hiei smirked.

As if he was fooled by that little innocent act. Inside Kurama was dying to know. He could almost feel the inner argument going on between Youko and Suuichi as they tried to work out whatever problem they were having now. Hiei didn't even want to know what it was this time. Last time he had felt them arguing like this and just entered their mind on whim he had found out things he really didn't need to know.

He was sure that he didn't need to know whatever it was that they were arguing about right now. Even in the dimmed light he could see Suuichi's eyes changing from green to gold and back again.

Every time his eyes were gold they were tinted with lust. Obviously the argument had something to do with the miko.

Even more reason why he didn't want to know.

"No." Hiei finally said, his voice interrupting the raging battle within his companion.

Gold and emerald merged for a moment as disappointment flooded Kurama's features. Hiei could just see Youko pouting now.

"Disappointed? Why did you have plans for her?" Hiei couldn't resist teasing with a small smile on his face.

At first Kurama looked shocked that Hiei was actually taunting him like that.

Then he laughed.

Then he realized the implication of the question.

Hiei had thought that Yusuke was the only human that could turn that shade of red.

"Hiei!"

Chuckling inside the fire demon dodged his friend's half hearted swipe and darted to the window, leaping out into the darkness before he could be pursued.

He was never more grateful that his mind was only his own than he was after visiting with Kurama on occasions such as this. He didn't even want to think of what he would do if he had a horny thousand year old fox demon locked up in his mind all the time.

Hiei didn't get a chance to laugh at that when suddenly he sensed a familiar energy. His crimson eyes widened for a fraction of a second before suddenly he took off, changing directions and sending a telepathic message to Suuichi.

They were here.

Inuyasha leapt out of the well, his arm still protectively around Kagome's waist. For a moment they stood there. Something was definitely wrong.

Kagome was the first to realize what it was.

"Oh my gosh!" She cried out, her eyes wide and her hands flying up to her mouth. The well house was gone. Wood surrounded them in pieces, small portions of the walls remained. But the well itself was exposed to the night as were they. [1]

Inuyasha's golden eyes narrowed, they were glowing eerily in the dim light from the streetlamp. The demons and their human companions who attacked him earlier must have done this. Reflexively he pulled Kagome in tighter to his own body, seeking to protect her from any immediate danger. He stood tense as he quickly, though thoroughly, scanned the area with all of his senses.

`Damn Kagome's time!' He thought in frustration. It was difficult for him to tell what was normal here and what wasn't. Even though he had been here multiple times before, he was after all from the Feudal Era. This future had many things that he wasn't accustomed to.

And it was noisy.

And it stank.

He growled low in his throat. He couldn't sense anyone nearby, but that didn't mean they weren't there.

Next to him Kagome was tensed. Not because she was nervous, but because Inuyasha was, and it was radiating off of him in waves. She knew that Suuichi and the others who had attacked them this afternoon weren't after her. And if they did attack, she and Inuyasha were more than capable of handling themselves. If worse came to worse they could always escape through the well.

But Inuyasha didn't seem nearly as convinced as she was. The destruction of the well house just seemed to strengthen his resolve that Youko's reincarnation and his companions meant them harm.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome whispered, not wanting to alarm him as he was intently focusing on their environment. Amber eyes turned immediately to her; his gruff exterior was dropped for a moment, allowing all of his concern for her to shine through.

Kagome's breath caught. Bathed in the moonlight, his silver hair glistening, his fronts dropped…She had never seen him look more magnificent. Suddenly she was all too aware of the arm that was still wrapped tightly around her waist, and the proximity of their bodies.

Inuyasha seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

They turned away from each other, blushing. But they didn't move away.

"Let's go inside Kagome. I don't want us standing out here in the open." Inuyasha finally said a moment later. Kagome, still not looking at him, nodded in agreement.

Inuyasha let her go and they walked towards the house.

The kitchen light was on.

The miko and hanyou quickly crossed the shrine grounds and a moment later were walking through the door. Mrs. Higurashi was sitting at the table.

Her eyes were red and anxiety was etched all over her face.

She looked surprised for a moment when Kagome and Inuyasha came through the door. But she soon recovered and, faster than one could blink, was on her feet and across the room, embracing the two of them as if she had been afraid they would never return.

"Oh Kagome! I was so worried! I came home and the well house was destroyed like that. I didn't know what to think!" She exclaimed, but she wasn't crying like the two young adults thought she would be.

Inuyasha was still stiff with shock that Kagome's mother was embracing him.

"Are you too alright? Let me look at you." Mrs. Higurashi demanded as she stepped back, holding the two at arms length and inspecting them for any injury.

When she found none she embraced them again.

"Oh I always knew that it was dangerous in the feudal era, what with fighting demons and all, but I never though that something would ever really happen! And then I came home and the well house…Something had happened, but it had happened at home! I didn't know what to think!"

She held them a little longer.

Inuyasha began to relax a little as Mrs. Higurashi stroked his hair in a comforting manner, though he was sure it was for her own comfort.

Finally she backed away.

"I'm so glad you're okay." She said smiling. Tears brimmed in her eyes but she quickly wiped them away. Suddenly she was filled with energy and like a new woman.

"Well Kagome, I bet you want a nice bath. Why don't you go on up and get ready for one. Inuyasha. You must be starved. Would you like some ramen? I'll start making you some right away. Why are you still standing there Kagome? Go on."

Inuyasha was suddenly being pushed gently in a guiding manner over to the table where he sat down. Kagome stood in the door way watching.

"We're okay mom." She said gently.

Mrs. Higurashi stiffened.

"Inuyasha will always protect me. Nothing will ever happen." Kagome continued.

Her mother slumped to the floor. Kagome rushed over to her. Inuyasha jumped to his feet and joined her. Mrs. Higurashi's shoulders were racking in silent sobs.

"It's okay mom." Kagome whispered, wrapping her arms around the distraught woman and holding her. "Inuyasha and I are both here and its fine."

Before Inuyasha realized what he was doing he was on his knees as well beside them. The urge to comfort the sobbing woman was so strong that he allowed his instincts to take over and threw his arms around them both, offering his comfort.

He was filled with a sense of completion, of belonging.

Mrs. Higurashi had worried about him too. She was crying for him too, just as Kagome had done. She cared about him like he was her son.

She had faith in him just as Kagome did that he would always protect her daughter.

He was family.

***************************

"Koenma sir?"

The Spirit World ruler looked up towards the door with questioning eyes. George stood there, a thick and ancient looking file in his hand.

"Yes, Ogre?"

"I think we might have found something sir. Take a look." Needing no more prodding than the look of hopeful interest in Koenma's eyes, the blue ogre quickly made his way across the lengthy room, carrying the file like it was a precious treasure.

Ever since yesterday evening, Koenma had been consumed with the need to find out more about the inu hanyou and miko that had somehow escaped all detection until now. It was something that made him very uncomfortable, especially when coupled with the fact that Kurama and Hiei seemed to be unaffected by it compared to the rest.

Those two knew something.

And they would never tell unless they felt like it.

Unfortunately, as of yet, the thousands of ogres and apparitions on his staff had been unable to turn up anything. Wandering deeper and deeper into the abyss of catalogs and records that Reikai kept, they had searched and searched, each attempt more futile than the last, turning up nothing that could be of use.

But now, with George carrying the ancient document, beaming with pride and confidence, Koenma felt some hope stir inside of him. Maybe they had finally found something? He was beginning to fear that they would never come across anything. What with all the records Reikai kept, on top of all the history, legends, and such that had to be written, the bounds of possibilities were infinite, growing every minute as new history was created between the three worlds, Makai, Ningenkai, and Reikai.

"Here you go, sir." Said George as he happily handed over his burden to the anxious arms of the toddler sized king. "This one's from feudal Japan."

Koenma lost no time in opening the folder, eyes quickly skimming the pages. After a few seconds he had determined that he was looking at an old legend. Not actual fact. His hopes faded a bit.

As if sensing his boss' distress, the ogre reached out and flipped a few pages. "Keep reading Koenma sir." He urged enthusiastically.

"…The Shikon no Tama was entrusted to a miko of awesome spiritual power, in the hopes that she might be able to purify it. She successfully guarded the jewel against all demons until one day the unexpected happened. An inu hanyou, seeking the power of the Shikon to become full youkai, had come across the miko. Neither killed nor sought to harm the other, perhaps finding a kindred spirit in each other. The terms of their relationship remains unclear, but one thing is for sure. The miko and the hanyou fell in love. However, the miko had her duty as protector of the Shikon no Tama and the two could never be until the jewel disappeared from this world. Such was only fabled to happen should a pure wish be made upon the stone. It was on this basis that the miko convinced the hanyou to wish to be human.

But on the day that the wish was to be made, the unspeakable happened. The hanyou betrayed the miko, inflicting upon her a fatal wound and stealing the Shikon jewel. With the last ounce of her strength, the miko sealed him to a tree with a magic arrow, never to awaken again. She died shortly after, taking the Sacred Jewel with her in death, never for it to be seen again until…"

Koenma stopped reading there. An inu hanyou and miko of extraordinary power. It almost fit the description of the pair that he was dealing with now. But this was only a legend. A legend that supposedly took place hundreds of years ago, before the worlds were separated.

No names were stated other than that of the jewel, no real facts were given, and not all the information fit the premises of the modern problem. For one, the hanyou was supposed to be sealed to a tree, and the miko should be dead. For two, Koenma had yet to hear of a powerful relic, let alone a jewel, being involved.

The gears in the demi-god's head started turning as he began to formulate a plan. He needed answers, and he knew only one way to get them.

"George," He said, turning to the ogre whose eyes immediately widened at the use of his name, "Summon Botan for me. I need to speak with her and the detectives about a new mission."

********************************************************

Mrs. Higurashi had cried for about half an hour more. Sobs had racked her shoulders and Inuyasha and her daughter had been unable to do anything more than hold the distraught woman, Kagome whispering soothing words and reassurances to her every now and then.

Finally she had calmed enough for them to let her go. Inuyasha had helped her to her feet and stood close, in case she should suddenly collapse once again. He was silently surprised at how protective he was being of Kagome's mother, the only answer he could come up with for it was that she was the second one, besides Kagome, to accept him for who he was. Mrs. Higurashi always gave her daughter plenty of ramen for the hanyou, worried about his safety, kept the old man off of him with those seals, and made sure that Inuyasha felt comfortable whenever he was in this era.

Now they were seated around the table, Mrs. Higurashi on the end, her eyes still puffy and red, but seemingly composed.

They waited for the older woman to speak.

"Kagome. This is a hard decision for me to make but…"

Inuyasha and Kagome tensed. Both had a good idea of what was to come and were ready to protest.

"…I don't want you going to the Feudal Era anymore."

**********************************************************

[1] If anyone remembers: In chapter…fourteen (?) Hiei destroyed the well house just after Inuyasha and Kagome jumped into the well. I reread the chapter and I only briefly and vaguely mentioned the destruction so I thought that I would remind everyone. ^.^

*Giggles*

A cliff hanger, such a glorious way to end the first chapter out in almost…what? Two months?

*laughs*

*laughs harder*

*breaks out into full force hysterical laughter*

*suddenly sobers.*

I am so going to die.

REVIEW!