Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Intergalactic Treaty ❯ Where Loyalty Lies ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Belle: I've figured out exactly where this story will go!

~Inuyasha: So you're still keeping this an Inu/Kag fic then?

~Belle: Not exactly……

~Inuyasha: What? You're such a hypocrite Belle!

~Kurama: It's better this way, trust me.

~Inuyasha: Of course you would say that!

~Kurama: Shutup and enjoy the story, you ungrateful mutt.

R&R!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha had his brother follow him back to his cabin to explain all his suspicions. Sesshoumaru was livid. One could not tell simply by looking at his emotionless face, but if you looked closely you could see the poison from his claws practically flowing and causing a large hole to form on the floor.

Inuyasha smiled nervously at his brother. "So I think we should talk with Kouga and see if they've found out anything substantial. It's obvious that he is just using us to steal the Shikon from Kagome."

"Very well, but then I will kill Naraku myself. This Sesshoumaru does not appreciate being made a fool." The great dog demon replied in tone promising an unpleasant death.

Inuyasha turned on the communicating device Kouga had given him. A very tired sounding Kouga greeted him.

"It's about time you decided to contact us." Kouga growled from the other end.

"Whatever. What do you know? Did Shippo found out anything substantial?" Inuyasha demanded.

"Hey, is Sesshouaru there?" Kouga asked suddenly before answering the previous questions.

Inuyasha stared at the receiver, "how could you possibly know that he was here?"

"I thought I could hear the breathing of death is all." Kouga replied while shrugging on his end. He pulled out the files he and Shippo had collected.

"Naraku is taking this Kagome pretty seriously. At first it seemed he was only suspicious that she might have information on the resource, however, lately it seems that it is now absolute. He believes that she contains the Shikon within her very body."

"What does that mean?" Sesshoumaru asked becoming impatient.

"I'm getting to that. Geez, can't you be a little more patient?" Kouga admonished.

"Fool, I would kill you if you were standing before me now." Sesshoumaru replied.

"That's exactly why I'm many miles away." Kouga answered breezily. "Hold on one moment. Shippo just buzzed me. He must have something new." Kouga listened to whatever Shippo had to share.

Inuyasha began to tap his claws impatiently on the wall nearby. Sesshoumaru's golden eyes stared at those tapping appendages. The tapping continued.

"If you do not cease that incessant tapping I will be forced to rip off your fingers." Sesshoumaru told his younger brother in complete seriousness.

Inuyasha gave his brother another nervous smile while muttering an apology.

Finally, Kouga came back with an update. "Crap Inu-kuro, Naraku's got plans to kill her now. He apparently heard about the incident with her cruiser and decided it wasn't such a bad idea."

"That's foolish. How will he ever find the Shikon with her dead?" Sesshoumaru replied.

"He will have her body transported back to him and have it ripped apart until he finds it. He's confident that it is within her body. He mentioned that it would be easier to have cooperation from a dead human." Kouga told them with evident disgust in his voice.

"I won't let that happen." Inuyasha vowed with determination.

"I knew you'd say that. Apparently, Hiten's brother, Manten is supposed to kill her. His mission is to slit her throat while she sleeps this evening." Kouga informed them after another brief session with Shippo.

"Then she simply will not go to sleep. How does Naraku intend on keeping up the charade of this summit?" Sesshoumaru inquired.

"I don't think he cares anymore." Kouga answered without hesitation.

Sesshoumaru popped his knuckles. "I see."

"What about Kurama's assignment to seduce the answers from her?" Inuyasha demanded, unhappy with recent events.

"He must have become impatient waiting. Hey, I have to go, I think someone is coming. Take care of that Kagome, Inuyasha." Kouga answered before breaking off their connection.

Inuyasha looked to Sesshoumaru for advice. "What are we going to do?"

Sesshoumaru looked at him blankly for a moment before he gave his response. "Make Naraku wish he had never been born."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Admiral Shuuichi paced the deck of his beautiful ship. It was the pride of the space force. Her name was "Mikai" and she possessed a great reputation for countless successful missions.

Shuuichi stopped in his pacing to address his navigator. "How much further?"

Hiei scrutinized the star chart closely and made a few calculations in his head before answering. "Sir, if we kick into the eighth warp speed we would be at Fox Fire Station in approximately two hours." He preferred to do the calculations mentally for his thinking was quicker than the computer.

"Do it then." Shuuichi commanded.

"You do realize that it is not very safe to travel in this sector of the universe past the sixth warp speed." Hiei replied calmly, not making any effort to increase the speed just yet.

"And how long would it take to arrive there traveling at the sixth speed?" Shuuichi questioned, emerald eyes narrowing in aggravation.

"Five hours." Hiei replied in an even tone.

"Then take it to eight. Too many things could happen in those three hours." Shuuichi barked at him.

"It will do little good if we hit a passing comet because we were in such haste. What good will we do them if we are dead?" Hiei retorted in his unwaveringly calm voice.

"I'll take that risk. Now, put her in eight warp. You shouldn't have told me about the eight warp speed if you didn't think I should consider it." Shuuichi marched back to his captain's seat. Although he was an admiral he enjoyed serving as captain of his ship.

Hiei gave the indication to the officer in charge of speed. Internally, Hiei was smiling although his face remained impassive. He enjoyed traveling at speeds that taunted death. He wasn't very concerned with the safety of the ship. Odds were they would get to the station fine, but that chance of danger looming in the shadows brought him a thrill he could never deny.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagome, Youko Kurama, Sango, and Miroku were sitting in Kagome's cabin. They all had thoughtful expressions upon their faces.

Miroku caught Kagome's gaze with his violet eyes. "Kagome, I don't think we should leave you alone. It's obvious that you are being targeted."

"But why? There's nothing special about me?" Kagome cried while placing her head into her hands in exasperation.

Kurama put his arm around her shoulders and leaned close. "Are you sure about that?"

Kagome looked up into his eyes and shrugged. "Well, I guess there must be something. I just don't know what it is."

Kurama removed his arm and scooted a few inches away from her before standing. He began to pace back and forth as the three Earthlings watched him closely.

Kurama stopped pacing. "Naraku is behind this." He admitted. "I don't know if the bout with the cruiser sabotage was his idea, but I do know that he finds the three of you important. Especially you." Kurama pointedly stared at Kagome.

"Will you tell us what you know?" Sango pleaded with the demon.

Kurama smiled at them sadly. "I'm committing treason by doing this. My life will become forfeit. But, it is the right thing to do."

The humans sat a little straighter upon hearing that confession. Kurama sat back down beside Kagome and reached for her hands. He held them within his own and met her eyes. Kagome squeezed his hands in reassurance.

Kurama took a deep breath and continued. "My task on this mission was to seduce you Kagome." Her eyes widened slightly, but she made no move to retract her hands, Inuyasha had warned her about him after all. "I thought little of that task at first, but then I met you. You're quite different from most I have met. All three of you are." Kurama admitted throwing a look in Sango and Miroku's direction.

"Naraku believes that you hold the knowledge about the Shikon no Tama." Kurama declared.

"Why would we know about our planet's valuable resource? It's very top secret." Sango interrupted.

Kurama could feel the blood draining from Kagome's hands and her face began to pale a little. She looked towards her two best friends then and her brown eyes flashed green for a moment as realization struck her.

Sango and Miroku exchanged a look wondering if the other had seen the green flash in her eyes.

"I remember." Kagome told them, removing her hands from Kurama's and rubbing her arms trying to regain the warmth in them.

Kurama placed his much larger hands over hers and to stop her fidgeting. "Will you tell us what you know?"

Kagome looked at him suspiciously. "Did you think it would be easier for you to figure out what I know this way, instead of by seducing me?" She asked in a cold voice filled with hurt.

His golden eyes reflected the hurt in the accusation. "I deserve that. However, I already told you my part. I want to help you."

"Of course you would say that. Gaining my trust is the way to gain my secrets. Inuyasha told me all about you." Kagome told him bitterly while leaving the bed and sitting on the arm of the Miroku's chair, as far away from Kurama as possible.

Sango noticed the intense look of regret and sadness that flickered across the demon's eyes before he dejectedly turned his head away from the humans to stare at the wall.

"I think he's telling the truth." Sango told Kagome.

Kagome decided to look back at him. Kurama stood up. "It's okay Kagome. I will wait outside your door. You can discuss this with your trusted friends. However, I will not leave you unprotected with your life in such danger." He began to walk towards the door.

Kagome stood up quickly and ran to him and held him still. Her hands grasped his shoulders firmly and she led him back to sit upon the bed. She offered him an apologetic smile. "I believe you. I'm sorry for not trusting you."

Kurama looked at her seriously. "You had every reason to not believe me Kagome. But I am pleased that you have given me this second chance. I will protect you with my very life." He vowed solemnly.

"You have my every confidence." Kagome assured him before taking a deep breath of her own to share what she knew of the Shikon no Tama.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha was in a hurry to make it towards Kagome's cabin. He needed to protect her from Manten. He thought Naraku was really dishonorable for using that weak scum. He was actually a little offended that with great demons like himself, Sesshoumaru, and Kurama that he would resort to a lowlife like Manten.

He paused for a moment to ponder this line of thought. What if this was a test to see where the three's loyalties lie. He shook his head. It didn't matter. Naraku was wrong for this. Besides, once Sesshoumaru found him he'd be dead anyway.

Inuyasha chuckled to himself. No one made a fool of his older brother and lived to do it again. He was so absorbed in his own thoughts that he failed to notice the young woman in the hallway walking towards him until he ran into her.

Absently, he helped her to her feet and continued on his way. He needed to make sure Kagome was safe.

"Inuyasha." A feminine voice called to him from behind. It sounded familiar but he couldn't place it.

He turned around and was faced with the culprit of Kagome's nearly fatal incident. "You." He barked at her with narrowed eyes and a look of utter disgust.

Kikyou looked at him sadly. "I'm sure you realize that I'm the one who sabotaged the cruiser."

Inuyasha's golden eyes narrowed even more. If his glare was a knife she would be sliced into little pieces. "You will regret such actions against her." Inuyasha informed her with his claws lengthening in anticipation. One problem could be solved right here. Couldn't have too many people running around with intentions to slaughter Kagome.

"Wait!" Kikyou cried when she noticed his claws.

He stopped his predatory approach to listen to whatever excuse she could concoct.

"I need to tell you why I did it." Inuyasha's silence was all the encouragement she needed to continue. "I know that she is the key to the power of the Shikon no Tama. I too once possessed a similar power. However, it was much weaker than the Shikon."

Inuyasha's expression prompted her to speak faster, or else she would be dead soon.

"If Naraku was to get in possession of that resource, he would become unstoppable. The death of one is preferable to the death of countless others is it not?" She asked him in logical reasoning.

Inuyasha couldn't deny the math, but he was not about to sacrifice innocent blood.

"Two wrongs do not make a right." He told her. "If you were truly selfless then you would have killed yourself and not given Naraku your source of power."

Kikyou hung her head in shame. Her dark bangs hid her dark eyes that had tears forming. "You are right. I'm afraid that I do not know anything about this Kagome. I just know that Naraku must not be allowed to take her alive!"

Inuyasha turned on his heels and began to run towards Kagome's room leaving Kikyou behind. "You may have your wish. Thanks to you she may not be alive much longer."

Kikyou stared after him for a moment before she decided to follow. She realized that it was wrong of her to try and kill the girl. Perhaps she could make it up and protect her instead. That was the noble course of action after all.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The four occupants of Kagome's cabin all looked thoughtful. Finally Miroku stood and stretched his weary muscles. He helped Sango rise as well.

"Well, I think we should stay in shifts to watch over Kagome." Miroku replied.

"I would like to stay the whole time." Kurama replied with his eyes shining in determination. Kagome blushed at the implications.

Miroku winked at the pair. "Of course, that was what I was suggesting. Sango and I shall be in our rooms, but will be listening for anything amiss. We don't want any possible assassins to become suspicious."

Miroku and Sango left the room after giving Kagome a hug goodnight.

After the door shut. Kurama rose from the bed once again and pulled one of the empty chairs beside the bed. He lifted up Kagome and shoved her under the blankets before smiling at her warmly.

"I think you should get some sleep. I'll watch for any thing out of the ordinary." Kurama told her as he sat into his chair.

"Won't you get tired?" Kagome asked concerned. If she was going to fall asleep, she wanted to be certain her guardian wasn't going to fall asleep on the job.

Kurama smiled at her amused and twitched his fox ears towards her in response. "Don't forget I'm not human. I don't really need to sleep. I could stay up for three days straight without any negative effects."

Kagome looked at him skeptically and then rolled her eyes. "Sure, whatever." She replied before turning onto her side and facing away from him. No way would she be able to sleep if she had a view of him distracting her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha finally arrived near Kagome's cabin. He hid in the shadows. He wondered if maybe he should wake her up and tell her what was going on. But then footsteps alerted him once more. He prepared to attack the would-be assassin.

He stayed his anxious claws when he noticed Kikyou was the `assassin.' Surely she wouldn't be foolish enough to try and kill her again. He would without doubt slaughter her this time if she made any attempts on Kagome's life.

"Inuyasha?" Kikyou called softly into the gloom. Why was this hallway so much darker than all the rest?

A clawed hand clamped over her mouth and she was pulled from behind into the shadows. Inuyasha leaned to whisper harshly into her ear. "What the hell do you want? I will not hesitate to kill you this time." He warned fiercely.

He removed his hand to allow her to explain. "I came to help. I realize I was wrong in trying to kill her. I want to help protect her." Kikyou replied.

Inuyasha pushed her to the side of him into darker shadows. "Fine. Just don't get in my way or I'll kill you myself wench."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~Inuyasha: So, you're pairing me with Kikyou?

~Belle: Maybe not officially, but I'm thinking of implying that.

~Kikyou: Why can't you pair me up with him? Everybody always makes me the villain!

~Belle: Because you are a minor character! I don't have to pair you up!

~Kikyou: Fine! (*pouts*)

~Belle: That's right! (*nods in satisfaction over minor victory*)