Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: A Thief's Goal ❯ Years of Today ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Years of Today
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories
 
Stressed Words
 
 
 
It had been six years since the battle had been. The name Naraku was never mentioned, he became the monster under children's bed. The village Miko had stepped away from her duties and passed them down Miroku. Sango had rebuilt the Taijiya village within Kaede's village. They final battle had left the little village destroyed with many dead and gone. Kaede had barely survived the miasma that first came, she was forced to take what villagers she could gather and escape into the woods. The Shikon no Tama was on a pedestal in the temple, where it stayed dormant.
 
Miroku walked over to the Torii where he placed new ofudas down. He would not take a chance of the temple being entered by youkai or humans of ill will. He sighed as his thoughts flashed back to the battle. He walked up the shrine steps and finally turned around to overlook the village. The huts were fully rebuilt and the fields were finally producing rice. The first year after the battle the field had be bare only growing strange plants that were poisons.
 
He let his eyes fall to a field that Sango had clear with Kirara. It was to the left of the shrine and housed another area of villagers. It housed the Taijiya, the villagers that had chosen and dedicated their lives to learning the ways of the slayer…of his slayer. Within this village the ashes of Inuyasha and Kohaku were put to rest. He smiled when he thought of Sango and couldn't help but sigh. Sango wasn't able to bare children because of the many battles she had fought in. She and him had settled on adopting one of the village babies that had lost her father in battle and mother in birth.
 
Miroku turned around and before he could enter the temple he hit a barrier. He frowned as he recognized the youki that produced this.
 
“Shippo, let me in,” Miroku calmly called.
 
The barrier dropped and Miroku walked in with a calm smile before he saw Shippo sitting next to the jewel in a meditating pose. Miroku raised an eyebrow when he saw the kit so calm. Shippo had changed in the years that Kagome had vanished. He trained with the Taijiya in order to protect the jewel. Miroku knew that kit hoped that by staying by the Tama that there was a chance to see Kagome. Shippo had also gone traveling around the western lands to learn more about his Kitsune magic. They kit left when he was nine and came back in the winter after he turned ten.
 
“What are you doing here?” Shippo asked as he opened his tired emerald eyes.
 
“Watching the Tama as you are,” Miroku answered, trying to ignore the bluntness of Shippo's question.
 
“I'm here, I won't let anything happen to her,” Shippo assured. Miroku sighed and sat down next to the kit.
 
“Shippo, the Tama is not a her,” Miroku began for the hundredth time within the year. He had lost track of the times that Shippo referred to the Tama as a `her' or `Kagome'.
 
“Kagome's in there! I can feel her ki!” Shippo fiercely said.
 
“The Tama is dormant…there is nothing there,” Miroku sighed with pity.
 
“The Tama is dormant, but you're wrong. She's in there waiting to be released,” Shippo growled as he became silent again.
 
Miroku stood up and before he walked out of the temple he turned to his left to see Tetsusaiga on the wall. As soon as he walked out he felt the barrier snap into place. Miroku was upset at Shippo at for setting himself up for a deep sorrow. Not once had Shippo mourned Kagome, he seemed to believe that Kagome would come back to them. He knew this belief would prove false, but yet he felt glad that one of them still believed in something.
 
Walking through the village he found Sango instructing the men and woman on finding the right bones to use for armor. The youkai bones were from a scorpion youkai that had arrived from the main land. He walked over to her and kissed her on the cheek causing her to blush. The men grinned while the woman lightly chuckled. Sango punched Miroku on the side of his head before she yelled for them to get back to work. Miroku pouted as he rubbed the new lump on his head.
 
“You know better than to interrupt me during instruction,” Sango scolded with a glare. Miroku shrugged with a sheepish smile before he turned to watch her students work.
 
“Are these the armor makers?” Miroku asked.
 
“Yes, these are the ones more skilled in their crafting skills, than slaying skills,” Sango replied with a hint of pride.
 
“Shippo still hasn't left the temple,” Miroku sighed.
 
“He's not left for three years,” Sango replied as she ran a hand through her hair.
 
“He only leaves for food,” Miroku corrected.
 
“What brings up this age old subject?” Sango decided to ask.
 
“He believes she is coming back. He also claims he can feel her ki in the jewel,” Miroku answered with a frown.
 
“I don't blame him for his hope, in a way I know she'll come back to us,” Sango said with a smile.
 
“I have spent countless hours in that temple and not felt anything from the jewel,” Miroku complained. Sango turned around and placed a hand over his heart.
 
“That is because you think too much. You need to feel with this,” Sango said as she patted his heart. Miroku sighed and shook his head.
 
“I'm only being realistic…”
 
Miroku and Sango both snapped their attention to the temple that pulsing a bright pink light.
 
“The temple,” they both whispered before they took off running.
 
 
 
Shippo growled in annoyance won't Miroku left. He opened his eyes and turned to stare at the jewel. His emerald eyes slid over its dormant, dull surface. He had felt her ki a while ago; he just knew it was real. Once he believed that Miroku was right and she was dead or vanished, but the he talked to her in his dream. Granted it was a dream, but Kagome had once told him that dreams help you reach the unknown. He didn't doubt her reason and he didn't doubt she was alive within that Tama.
 
`What should I do Kagome?' Shippo asked as he gazed at the Tama.
 
The jewel gained a luster as if it was wiped off. Being a Kitsune and still only thirteen he stood and walked over to the jewel. He moved in closer to look at it before he noticed a sparkle. He could feel her ki again. With a true smile his eyes lit up and reached forward. He hesitated, letting his hand hover above the jewel before he grabbed it in the palm of his hand.
 
`It's dull again,' Shippo thought.
 
“Maybe it's just dusty,” he mumbled as he wiped it off on his shirt. His eyes widened as the jewel began to glow a brilliant pink. The energy radiated and began to pulse.
 
“Shit,” Shippo panicked as the pink energy exploded lighting up the temple.
 
 
 
Sango and Miroku covered their eyes as the light swept pass them. Both walked into the temple and each was aware of Shippo's barrier…it was missing. Panic got the best of Sango and she rushed inside the temple. Her face paled as she stood there gazing at the one thing that had been missing for six years. Miroku ran to Sango's side and stiffened when his violet eyes fell upon the sight he saw. Shippo was currently leaning into a wall with his indention well above from where he was leaning. There was the Tama, not far from where his hand was limp. They both seemed to be looking at the person that was standing a few feet away from them.
 
“It's such a relief to finally see some other color than pink tones and white,” a gentle voice stated as she stretched and yawned. Turning around her blue-gray eyes widened when she saw the two people standing there. They were as pale as the moon, but she could still recognize them.
 
“Sango…Miroku?”
 
 
 
Author's Note:
Sorry this is so short, but I'm trying to set ground bases, for this story to make sense.
Please review
 
Kitsune-Kagome- I have considered writing my own novels, I am in the process of writing the first few chapters. It's just that I have the ideas and everything…but I get frustrated and end up quitting and beginning anew.