Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Title: Secrets
Author: inuyashagirl5
Rating: T
Genre: Adventure/Romance
Pairing: Kagome/Yusuke
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or Yu Yu Hakusho. InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Yu Yu Hakusho is owned by Yoshihiro Togashi. I make no money from this at all.
================================================================== ======

Chapter One: Why Are Your Eyes So Familiar?


“Listen to me guys.” Koenma had sat the team down again for an important discussion. Things had been quiet lately and he needed them to work on some small, less important tasks. A few missing, weak youkai here an unexplainable energy there. Things the group could handle separately rather than as a group, “I’m breaking you up for the time being.”

“What?” Yusuke and Kuwabara practically shouted and Koenma covered his ears.

“It’s only a temporary thing, guys. I have smaller missions to send you on and you don’t have to be a team to do them.” Koenma explained and rose from his chair.

“Let him explain.” Hiei spoke from the dark corner of the room, the same corner he always sat in when they were called to Koenma’s office.

“Hiei and Kuwabara I’m sending you off to capture some low B class youkai that have spread themselves out across the city. If they refuse to come along quietly you can take drastic measures. They cannot stay in the city where they’ll only harm humans. The two of you don’t have to stay together. You can split up and search on your own. Botan will help keep you posted on their whereabouts.” Koenma stated, “Yusuke, Kurama, the two of you will be going to the Sunset Shrine together. For the past couple of years there has been an energy level there that bothers me. It was small at first, but lately it has grown much stronger. I want the two of you to keep your guard up because there is a chance this energy might be that of a miko.”

“A miko?” Kurama raised curious eyes to Koenma, “How is that possible? There haven’t been any with real power in hundreds of years.”

“Just be cautious. I can’t say for sure if it is a miko. The energy comes and goes. One minute it’s there and then it’ll disappear for long periods of time. I’m sending you there today. It seems that the family that occupies the shrine is having a celebration honoring the shrine and the energy seems to be staying in place. It’s likely that the one with the energy is there and possibly part of that family.”

“It seems rather dangerous. Are you sure the two of them should go alone?” Hiei moved from his corner into the room.

“I think between the two of them they can handle it.” Koenma nodded affirmatively.

“Yeah, it’ll be a walk in the park.” Yusuke cracked his knuckles, “What’s a miko anyway?”

“A woman with an extremely large amount of spiritual energy. Known to hate youkai and purify them upon meeting them.” Koenma answered, “Only a few youkai throughout history have been able to be in the presence of a miko and not lose their life. Which is one reason I’m not sending Hiei on this particular mission.”

“But you’ll send the fox?” Hiei spat and stepped before the prince.

“Cooler heads prevail, Hiei. Kurama is very capable of dealing with this situation.” Koenma took a nervous step back as Hiei got closer, “We don’t even know if it is a miko.”

“It’s fine with me.” Kurama replied, halting Hiei in his tracks, “I like a challenge every now and then. Besides, it’s been years since a miko has been around. She probably won’t even know about youkai.”

“Good, I knew I could count on you, Kurama!” Koenma handed him a map, “This will show you how to get there from Yusuke’s place. Try to get as much information as possible and please be cautious.”

“We will.” Yusuke waved his hand, “How hard can it be? It could just be one woman who will probably drool and turn to mush at the first sight of Kurama. That’s how most women act when they see him.”

“Thank you for that comforting remark, Yusuke.” Kurama frowned and briefly thought of his fan club back at school, “We’ll be off now.”

“Wait for me, Kurama! It was only a joke!” Yusuke chased after his friend as Kurama walked from the room.

“I guess I’ll be off now too then. I’d like to get some work done.” Kuwabara waved at the remaining people in the office, “Contact me as soon as you have something.”

“We will.” Koenma nodded.

“Baka.” Hiei mumbled before following Kuwabara out.

“I guess I should get the paperwork ready incase it is a miko. My father will want to know about it right away if it is one.” Koenma took his seat and sorted through the piles of paper to find a blank piece, “I really should get more organized.”

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“I didn’t mean to offend you, Kurama. Please don’t be mad at me!” Yusuke was still pleading for his friend’s forgiveness even after they had left Yusuke’s apartment. Kurama wasn’t angry with him anymore, but watching Yusuke squirm was very funny.
“It’s okay, Yusuke. I’m not mad.” Kurama let him off the hook. He had suffered enough humiliation for now. Besides, they had reached their destination.

“What is it with temples and steps?” Yusuke muttered looking up the large incline of steps they would have to walk up, “This place seems pretty busy. I wonder if they have any food up there.”

“Only one way to find out.” Kurama replied as he started up the steps.


Once they made it to the top they glanced around at the people visiting the shrine. There was definitely an energy here that was far stronger than Kurama was expecting. He looked from person to person and none of them had what he was looking for.

“We’re being watched.” Yusuke spoke quietly as he noticed a girl their own age staring back at them with a box in her hands. Kurama finally noticed her and froze. She was the one.

The girl looked away and followed after a woman with whom she resembled and the boys believed her to be the girl’s mother. After a moment of talking between the two women, the younger one dusted herself off and approached the two of them.

“Welcome to Sunset Shrine. Is there something I can help you with?” her voice was soft and delicate. Her eyes passed between both boys. She was on guard, but she sensed neither one of them was a danger.

“We were just curious about the crowd and figured we’d stop by to see what was going on.” Kurama answered and the girl frowned.

“Strange, we don’t get many of your kind around here.” she smiled and watched as Kurama tensed, “It’s okay. You don’t need to be so tense. I’m not going to purify you.”

“You are a miko, are you not?”

“Yes, I am and you have a bit of youkai, although it’s a little different than normal.” she circled them, “Yes, definitely a kitsune. Won’t that make Shippo excited when I tell him! Hmm, you’re both very strong. Your energies are huge! That’s why I was thrown off a bit when you arrived.”

Kurama glanced at his teammate when he realized how uncharacteristically quiet he was being. Yusuke always had something to say. The girl’s laughter caught his ears and he shifted his attention over to her.

“Can I ask what is so funny...um...”

“It’s Kagome. Kagome Higurashi.” she offered her hand and he shook it, “Why don’t the two of you follow me. My grandfather is about to tell one of his stories to the crowd and the afterwards it’s my turn.”

She turned and walked away. Yusuke started after her instantly and Kurama followed along, still curious about Yusuke’s behavior. It wasn’t like him to be this silent.

Kagome had them sit on a bench not too far from where an old man was standing. She gave them a sweet smile before hurrying off to the old man’s side.

“Is everything set, Kagome?”

“Sure is, Gramps!”

The old man stepped forward and cleared his throat. Everyone shifted their focus on him.

“Today I am going to tell you the tale of the great King Enma and the mortal woman who stole his heart. He had watched her from afar, his love growing deeper each day he saw her. She held beauty that was unmatched in his eyes. He went on like this for several months until one day he got the courage to approach her. He took the form of a young gentleman and went to her home to woo her. Once they met, they felt an immediate attraction, an attraction that spread into a deep and undying love. But alas they could not stay together for King Enma was immortal and his love grew older with age. He parted ways with her, but not before she was blessed with a child. A child that was the only proof of their love. As the years went on, the woman fell deeper into despair at the loss of the man she loved and although she had his child, it was still not enough. She withered away day by day until that one evening, with her child at her side, she passed on. It’s not known what became of this special child of theirs, but some say that the child followed it’s mother and in the end was reunited with the man who had left them. Giving them a chance to be together for all of eternity.”

The crowd applauded the old man for his story and a few of the older women wiped a few stray tears from their cheeks. Kurama shifted a bit and studied the expression on Yusuke’s face. The boy was in deep concentration and his eyes were watching Kagome as she stepped up next to her grandfather. She smiled and gave the old man a big hug.

“Yusuke, what is it?” Kurama whispered softly. Yusuke scowled a bit.

“I’ll tell you when I figure it out myself.” he replied. He watched as several smaller children, including a boy who looked similar to Kagome, sat around the girl. She smiled and looked down at them.

“My name is Kagome and I am going to tell you about the legend of the Shikon no Tama.” her voice was gentle and the children cheered.

She broke into the story right from the beginning. A girl, age fifteen, fell into a well and ended up five hundred years in the past in feudal Japan. She spoke of a half demon dog named InuYasha, a kit named Shippo, a monk named Miroku and a demon exterminator and her companion, Sango and Kirara. She explained, in detail, random fights the girl and her group came across in the quest to gather all of the broken jewel that the girl had shattered.

During the story, Kurama couldn’t help but to notice the details that the story contained. Either she was a really, really good storyteller, or she knew more than she let on. The faces she made when mentioning a particular wolf demon named Kouga made him laugh quietly. It was as if she knew just how the girl in the story felt...maybe she did.

She finished up the story with a huge battle against a half demon named Naraku who had managed to get the entire jewel. She spoke of the half demon dog  and his bravery when fighting this foe and how with the help of the young girl, they were able to defeat Naraku and take possession of the Shikon no Tama.

The children cheered and clapped rowdily and Kagome blushed. Every year it was the same thing and every year she did her best to not disappoint them. The crowd started to move and begin looking around the shrine again, a few stopping to talk to Kagome and her grandfather.

“Interesting stories, huh?” Yusuke was looking at the ground, “I wonder if Koenma has heard that first one.”

“We could always ask.” Kurama chuckled. He looked up in time to see a look of panic spread across Kagome’s face. She spoke quickly to her mother who nodded and watched her daughter run off.

“Do you feel that?” Yusuke stood quickly, “There is definitely a demon in the area.”

“Yes, I think Kagome sensed it too.” Kurama started to walk in the direction Kagome had run to.

The rounded the corner of the house in time to see Kagome walk into what looked like an old well house. Kurama raised a curious eyebrow and snuck quickly to the side with Yusuke following right behind. They listened quietly, while masking their energies so as not to be detected by her.

“You’re not supposed to come here today!” she yelled angrily, “What if people see you?”

“Calm down, wench! I’ve only come to bring you back! You’ve been gone for almost a whole week.” A rough, male voice replied quite harshly.

“I told you I was going to be gone for over a week! I can’t go back now the festival for the shrine doesn’t end until tomorrow!”

“Feh, fine! I’m coming to get you first thing in the morning, wench!” The male yelled and Kurama and Yusuke could feel the pull of a type of magic before the demon’s energy vanished. They stared at each other will puzzled expressions.

“Do you two always eavesdrop?” Kagome’s voice startled them and they straightened quickly, “You weren’t fooling me by trying to hide.”

“Kagome...” Kurama opened his mouth and Kagome cut him off with a glare.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Shuichi Minamino and he is...”

“Yusuke Urameshi.” Yusuke shoved his hand out quickly. His eyes caught with hers for a few moments and he felt something different about her.

“Look, I don’t mind you guys being here and all, but don’t pry into my personal life.” She shook Yusuke’s hand and stared up at him, “I’ve heard of you before, Yusuke. You’re a bit of a bully, eh?”

“Now who said that? It’s not like I beat people up for their money or anything.” Yusuke shrugged, “So what if I’ve been a few fights. Those people whose butts I’ve kicked deserved it.”

Kagome smiled and gave a small laugh before turning and walking back to the rest of the people. Kurama and Yusuke followed along after her.

“Miss Kagome, how long have you known about being a miko?” Kurama pried gently. He already knew she was one, she had confessed it, and there was no reason he couldn’t ask a harmless question like that.

“Kagome.” she answered, “No formal crap, you got that? I’ve known for almost three years now.”

“That’s all? You seem much stronger than someone who has only known for such a short time.” Yusuke said and caught up to her stride, “I suppose you go through some intense training?”

“Something like that.” Kagome smiled and stopped, “I have to get back to work. Please stick around if you like, but I’m afraid I have things to take care of.”

“It’s alright. It was a pleasure to meet you, Kagome.” Kurama smiled politely, “But we should be on our way. It is a school night.”

“Oh, if that’s the case.” Kagome pulled a note pad out of her kimono and jotted something down before handing the paper to Yusuke, “In case you have questions or something, feel free to call. Although, I must warn you, there are times when I won’t be home for awhile and my grandfather might give you a lie about being sick with some disease that I assure you I don’t have.”

“Why are you giving this to us? You hardly know us?” Yusuke asked and watched her eyes.

“Hmm...I just have a feeling is all. Trust me.” she smiled, bowed to them and the hurried off.

“Strange girl.” Kurama smiled as Yusuke stared down at the piece of paper in his hand. A slight blush had appeared on his cheeks, “You ready to go, Yusuke?”

“Huh? What? Yeah, I’m ready.” Yusuke shoved the paper in his pocket and followed Kurama towards the shrine’s steps.

“Something’s troubling you. What is it?”

“I don’t know why, Kurama, but, her eyes just seem so familiar. Like I’ve seen them somewhere before.”